PDA

View Full Version : Barry Hall to announce retirement today

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/barry-hall-to-call-it-quits-20110718-1hlxy.html

After a 16-year, 283 game career, former Sydney captain Barry Hall will announce at lunchtime today he will retire from the game at the end of the season.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/barry-hall-to-call-it-quits-20110718-1hlxy.html#ixzz1SVNFZwbB

Been a great career for him, and even though he seems in good form now, it's probably the right decision for him.
Thanks for everything Baz, if only we had you a year or two eariler

cinder
19-07-2011, 12:42 PM
That sucks but not surprising. Back to the drawing board to get a strong forward option to the club (can't think of anyone we already have that can fill the role).

Thanks for everything Bazza...

Mofra
19-07-2011, 01:05 PM
That sucks but not surprising. Back to the drawing board to get a strong forward option to the club (can't think of anyone we already have that can fill the role).

Roughead & Jones as a combo?

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Barry, even though you've only been with us for 2 seasons it feels like you really are a true Bulldog. Thank you for the last 2 years, you've been wonderful for the Doggies!! :)

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm listening to SEN awaiting the Barry Hall press conference, the details have already been posted on the clubs website a few minutes ago, still waiting for he press conference. A bit strange at they post it before the press conference.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 01:09 PM
His body looked like it was labouring when chasing on Sunday. He's done well to get this far but you know the end is nigh when you have to have time off to recover....and when it takes longer and longer to recover.

Has been good for the Bulldogs, much better than expected. Both on and off the field. Can proudly say he has given it his best.

cinder
19-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Roughead & Jones as a combo?

Dunno, not on their current form! Roughead not even playing so hard to say. Either way it's not the same :(

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Great to hear him answer the question havin played at three clubs what will he consider himself when it is all over, he said a BULLDOG !

Ghost Dog
19-07-2011, 01:37 PM
His body looked like it was labouring when chasing on Sunday. He's done well to get this far but you know the end is nigh when you have to have time off to recover....and when it takes longer and longer to recover.

Has been good for the Bulldogs, much better than expected. Both on and off the field. Can proudly say he has given it his best.

He looked a lot better than many younger than him on Sunday.

OLD SCRAGGer
19-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Barry, you are a BLOODY SUPERSTAR, thanks for coming to the Doggies, we will miss you when it's over :(

1eyedog
19-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Great to hear him answer the question havin played at three clubs what will he consider himself when it is all over, he said a BULLDOG !

Even though he won a premiership at Sydney as captain he supported the dogs as a kid so great to hear.

I wonder if he'll belt anyone in the Freo game? Thanks Baz.

Murphy'sLore
19-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Hate to admit it, but I didn't want him initially -- happy to say that I couldn't have been more wrong. Love you Baz, the gentle giant, you've been fantastic for us and I'm so glad you've had a happy ending to your career.

the banker
19-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Become a legend in 2 short years at The Club. A genuine Star. Must be an ongoing role for Barry at The Western Bulldogs.

comrade
19-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Many wrote him off but he will end his career with his reputation in tact (please don't belt anyone in the next 7 weeks Baz).

Hopefully he'll start his boxing career next year. I'd love to see the big fella in action.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Not sure if it's genuine, but here's a copy of an email i just got sent:

---------------

Sent: Tuesday, 19 July 2011 1:13 PM
Subject: PRIME MINISTER - MEDIA RELEASE - RETIREMENT OF BARRY HALL - 19 JULY 2011 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

PRIME MINISTER

RETIREMENT OF BARRY HALL

I was sorry to hear the news today that Barry Hall will be retiring from AFL footy at the end of this season.

I want to take the opportunity to congratulate Barry on his achievements and wish him good luck for the rest of the season and in the next phase of his life.

Barry Hall has worked hard and earned great respect in the West.

Barry’s been a proud competitor at three AFL clubs and Bulldogs fans have been proud to call him ours since 2010.

It was an honour to have Barry present me with a supporters’ jumper at the start of this year.

Barry’s kicked a century of goals in red white and blue – five on the weekend – and the pace he showed for his goal in the second quarter on Sunday makes me think he could play on forever.

I’m sure I’ll see him on the field in one last finals campaign later this year.

Barry’s life in footy has been through many phases – from a tearaway rookie, to ultimate success in 2005, and then playing on as a respected veteran in the West.

He has friends and fans at each of the clubs he’s played for and has been a worthy servant of each.

Very few footballers will equal Barry’s achievements: more than 250 games at the elite level, four-time All-Australian, 2005 premiership captain for the Sydney Swans.

It’s lovely to hear Barry talk about how he remembers growing up in Broadford, racing home from school, kicking the ball around the back paddock, pretending he was Simon Beasley, getting handballs from Doug Hawkins.

I’m sure tonight there will be children in back yards and back paddocks imagining themselves as Barry Hall, getting a handball from Matty Boyd.

Well done Barry.

CANBERRA

19 JULY 2011

PRESS OFFICE (02) 6277 7744

Remi Moses
19-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Fantastic for us Barry. Pity we couldn't get him one year earlier. Thanks Barry

bornadog
19-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Great to hear him say he grew up a doggies fan and will continue following the dogs after his retirement.

Thanks Bazza, have really enjoyed all the games you have played for the dogs.

The Coon Dog
19-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I'll never forget the NAB Cup Final last year!

Daughter of the West
19-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I'll never forget the NAB Cup Final last year!

BAAAAAARRRRRYYYYYY!!!!! BAAAAAARRRRRYYYYYY!!!!! BAAAAAARRRRRYYYYYY!!!!! :D

I'm proud to say that I was part of the chant that day, thank you so much Barry for all that you've given to the club these past two years. An absolute superstar.

Doc26
19-07-2011, 03:54 PM
A great fit for the time and a classy exit by player and Club.
Baz has shown how to exit with grace, humility and reputation in tack.
Glad to hear Baz stays onboard.

BulldogBelle
19-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Good luck to Barry, loved having him at the Dogs, he's a true gentleman. It would be nice to have him around the club in some capacity after he's had a little time away.

Greystache
19-07-2011, 05:00 PM
He's been a great pick up for the club for both his contributions on the field, and also the development work he's done with the young guys.

Now who are the poor bastards going to be that carry him off the ground on their shoulders?!

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for 2 great years Baz.

choconmientay
19-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks Bazza for the short time with us. He is one of the champion of the game. A lot of credit to him to get us record memberships last year.

Doggy
19-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Geez there is a lot of love for Barry in the Herald Sun comments section.
Not one nasty comment out of 80???
Either selective editing by the HUN or everyone like us really loves and wil miss BBB

westbulldog
19-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Barry has been a terrific clubman, leader and an excellent player at the Western Bulldogs. We all thank you for your contribution Barry and wish you every future success.

Ghost Dog
19-07-2011, 06:40 PM
As far as I'm concerned, a proxy captain for our club for the past two years. I absolutely love watching him play. Brought much needed spirit to the team.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 07:21 PM
What a tremendous person he has been at the Dogs and isn't it great to hear him say that he will remain a supporter of the Bulldogs. He has obviously enjoyed his time at the club and I hope he stays on and provides some coaching support for our forwards.

I really admire his contribution and the way he has handled himself.

He can go out a true champion with no baggage.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the two great years Barry - it's been a pleasure watching and cheering for you. Wonderful to hear you say you feel you will always be a Bulldog through and through! I've been proud to have you at my beloved doggies! A graceful and well-timed exit for a champion of the game.

DOG GOD
19-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Will certainly be sad to see him go...will be very hard to replace on field.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I was one of the ones that didn't want this"trouble maker" at our club, he changed my mind very quickly, and now I don't want him to go! (But understand why)

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Cheers Bazza, loved having you at our club. All the best for the future! :)

SonofScray
19-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I was happy to have him come in as he is clearly a champion player, however I thought his mental state was a risk. He certainly let himself down as a good sport and showed some poor character at times at ST Kilda and Sydney. However, much to his credit he took his second chance and fought hard to win back the respect he deserves.

His performances for us have earned back that lost respect and then some. He has been a star player for us and a real leader, which reflects well on him and us. His last couple of years have been a great lesson in manhood.

You look back at that North game where those cowards tried to get him to throw a few, to the point of chasing him off the field and just think, for a guy with some real troubles around controlling his emotions that was a great effort. Norf thought they were 'defending the right' that day but really, showed their true colours as a bunch of twats, while Hall rose above it all.

AndrewP6
19-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Well, as much as I wasn't surprised, I didn't much like being told this news at morning tea today :(

As most regulars here will know, I'm a huge Bazza fan, and was really excited to hear of him coming to the club. To be honest, I didn't have a strong opinion either way of him beforehand, I'm only interested in the Red, White and Blue! ;) But his 'chequered' past could very easily have ended things just as badly as in Sydney, and he said as much when he got here. To his credit, Baz knuckled down, and in doing so, gave us Dogs fans a huge amount to get excited about. Not least of which was our win in the NAB Cup. To date, the only silverware I've seen us win,and Barry pretty much won the game off his own boot. And, as others have said, I was there with the "BAAAAARRRRRYYYYY! BAAAARRRRRY!!!!"

He's just awesome to watch when at his best, and the sort of player that, as they say, 'puts bums on seats'. His decision to hang up the boots at season's end shows his respect for the club and team. Bloody champion.

(I need to save some words for after his last game (hopefully not Rd 24!) :)

LostDoggy
20-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Love ya Baz, he has all the time in the world for us supporters, and he's a genuine lovely bloke and can i say has a beautiful smile!! good luck and thanks Bulldog Barry!

LostDoggy
20-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Just shows how much of a team man Barry is. The time is right. Thanks for the memories.

G-Mo77
20-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I was never a fan of him outside of when he was with the Western Bulldogs and was pretty sceptical when we decided to pursue him. Those thoughts were pretty much thrown out the window when he got here. It's not often a guy spends 2 seasons with the club and feels likes he's been here for so much longer, it feels likes a 10 year servant is retiring. Thanks for a great 2 seasons at the Western Bulldogs Baz and good luck for the future.

LostDoggy
20-07-2011, 11:14 AM
The old man and I have always loved Barry, ever since he went to Sydney. Was absolutely rapt when we took the chance on him.

It's a great story of redemption, of not quitting when shit gets hard. A true man's man.

Desipura
20-07-2011, 01:27 PM
The old man and I have always loved Barry, ever since he went to Sydney. Was absolutely rapt when we took the chance on him.

It's a great story of redemption, of not quitting when shit gets hard. A true man's man.
Very eloquently put BOS. :D

ledge
20-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I had a laugh when I heard it was Hutchys great scoop on Footy Classified, everyone knew it was a two year contract and knew he wouldnt go on, also I heard a clip on the radio where Hutchy said 3 years at the bulldogs... the blokes a twat, struggling for something this week obviously.

On Barry thanks for the memories at the club you did more than expected and I hope you stick around for the good of our future forwards.
Oh and thanks for the bottle of JB for a winning bet on you not getting reported and found guilty in your first year here.

LostDoggy
20-07-2011, 04:59 PM

Perfectly put. He's the one genuine A++ grade superstar on our list (with apologies to Murph, Coons, Griff and 2010 Lake), a real game-breaker that will be impossible to replace, but even more than that, he's a man's man's man. His maturing process since he's arrived has been self-evident, which knocks him up another few rungs in terms of my respect for the guy. Everyone plays taller when this bloke is around. Champion.

Sedat
20-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't want this season to peter out. I want Baz and the rest of the playing group to throw it all on the line for the next 6 weeks, hopefully 10. We have the ability in us to make something of this season, and what better way for Baz to go out of the game with a series of telling contributions assisting us to a 4th consecutive finals series.

Baz has been wonderful for us, and the true value of his time at the club can be seen in Liam Jones clunking 6 contested marks in Sunday and looking completely at home at this level.

bornadog
20-07-2011, 11:23 PM
I don't want this season to peter out. I want Baz and the rest of the playing group to throw it all on the line for the next 6 weeks, hopefully 10. We have the ability in us to make something of this season, and what better way for Baz to go out of the game with a series of telling contributions assisting us to a 4th consecutive finals series.

Baz has been wonderful for us, and the true value of his time at the club can be seen in Liam Jones clunking 6 contested marks in Sunday and looking completely at home at this level.

Liam seems to have grown in confidence since Bazza returned from injury.

Chicago1
21-07-2011, 05:01 AM
Jim of Chicago USA Posted at 1:45 PM July 19, 2011

Sad news, but not unexpected. Barry Hall was fantastic for the Bulldogs last year and provided us Bulldogs supporters with a bit of excitement and a return to the good old days of a "real" full forward. If only we would have had him for ten years instead of two... Hopefully the rest of this year will be a productive one for him. Wish I could be there in Round 24 to give Barry the respect he so richly deserves as he leaves the ground for the last time. Thanks, Barry. You were a joy to watch.

Comment 60 of 80

LostDoggy
21-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Probably worth putting all the hero worship of Barry as a Bulldog into perspective. Whilst he has been good for us, kicked goals and been a great teacher and team man, he has been with us for only 2 years. In that time he has been part of a forward line that tried to kick to him too often. He has been a leading forward of great note but not a pack marker and not a speedy chaser. Of late, he has been injured more often than not.

Barry has had a stellar career (and let's celebrate that), but most of it not with the Bulldogs. He has redeemed himself with the Dogs and the feel good factor is that our culture helped this happen. The feel good factor that he wants to be remembered as a Bulldog. The feel good factor that he is much loved by the players.

I compare him with Chris Grant and wonder how Chris's contribution and sacrifices over so many years for this club could get any more effusive adulation than what Barry is receiving.

Barry is not a 100 game player for us, or a 200 gamer, or a 300 gamer. He is not a legend of the club. Yet reading everything said about him, you would think he was.

I love the way we have found Barry and made him one of our own. Good luck to him as he seems to be a genuine and decent bloke. But I also think we should put his contribution to the Bulldog cause into some perspective.

LostDoggy
21-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I looked up the all time highest VFL/AFL goalkickers and was pleasantly surprised to see Baz can still jump further up the list in his final games.

Saverio Rocca

Collingwood (514), North Melbourne (234)

Stephen Kernahan

Carlton (738)

Bill Mohr

St Kilda (735)

Peter Hudson

Hawthorn (727)

Wayne Carey

North Melb/Kangaroos (671), Adelaide (56)

Harry Vallence

Carlton (722)

Dick Lee

Collingwood (707)

Barry Hall

St Kilda (144), Sydney (467), Western Bulldogs (104)

Sockeye Salmon
21-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I can't believe Wayne Carey kicked 56 goals for Adelaide. I wouldn't have thought he got 56 kicks for them.

bornadog
30-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Sacked on air tonight at Triple M for saying something about Montagna's pregnant wife.

ledge
30-06-2018, 03:51 AM
Sacked on air tonight at Triple M for saying something about Montagna's pregnant wife.

Was pretty bad but in saying that why didn't all the others get sacked they all went along with it and laughed about it .. Triple m is really a bigoted men's club, very hypocritical.

westdog54
30-06-2018, 09:39 AM
Was pretty bad but in saying that why didn't all the others get sacked they all went along with it and laughed about it .. Triple m is really a bigoted men's club, very hypocritical.

The Triple M team have form for laughing along with below the line humour. You're right, not one had the balls to stand up and say "that's out of line".

To think the only one who stayed clear last time this happened was Damian Barrett.

SonofScray
30-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Pretty gross stuff from the former Sydney star.

G-Mo77
30-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Again why do people listen to MMM? Why is perfectly normal medical procedure performed by obstetrician being laughed and joked about in this day and age anyway? Why did the topic even start on a football program? Barry Hall's gone too far and will get his right whack but the others in the box laughing along, producers, writers and anyone else involved in it should be dealt with as well.

Daughter of the West
30-06-2018, 12:05 PM
Again why do people listen to MMM? Why is perfectly normal medical procedure performed by obstetrician being laughed and joked about in this day and age anyway? Why did the topic even start on a football program? Barry Hall's gone too far and will get his right whack but the others in the box laughing along, producers, writers and anyone else involved in it should be dealt with as well.

This. All of this.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-06-2018, 12:28 PM
very ordinary. Thought Barry was better than that. As for mmm, footy show etc.. not surprising. Hopefully the next generation of us males will evolve so this sort of thing just doesn't occur.

merantau
30-06-2018, 01:01 PM
very ordinary. Thought Barry was better than that. As for mmm, footy show etc.. not surprising. Hopefully the next generation of us males will evolve so this sort of thing just doesn't occur.

Like you, I am really disappointed in Barry. I really can't understand what goes on in these blokes heads. Why is the pregnancy of an ex-players wife a topic for comment unless it's seen as an opportunity to get a cheap laugh with an off-colour remark? Maybe that's the point I don't get

Doc26
30-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Staggering that there is not more control by the broadcaster to let this get to air in prime time.

If it was a talkback caller they’d press the dump button, enacting their ~8 second delay.

What Barry said is appalling but how Montagna has escaped criticism and similar punishment given that he took the conversation to the place that it went, seemingly encouraging it and laughing it on about his own wife his simply astonishing.

AndrewP6
30-06-2018, 01:21 PM

This. Montagna details an intimate medical procedure his own wife underwent, the others all laugh (save for a bit of faux 'outrage') .. And Barry alone gets sacked? If they were serious the whole panel should be gone.

Twodogs
30-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Staggering that there is not more control by the broadcaster to let this get to air in prime time.

If it was a talkback caller they’d press the dump button, enacting their ~8 second delay.

What Barry said is appalling but how Montagna has escaped criticism and similar punishment given that he took the conversation to the place that it went, seemingly encouraging it and laughing it on about his own wife his simply astonishing.

Montagna would have copped his when he got home. You can bet that his wife got several texts about what was said and who said it. He would have slept on the couch last night.

The bulldog tragician
30-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Neanderthals still roam the earth.

Eastdog
30-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Very very poor Barry but others also just as responsible. I hope Barry and the others are regretful now.

jeemak
30-06-2018, 05:03 PM
He alone is responsible for his vile comments. The others are responsible for their guffawing and their comments. Whlie the latter are completely out of taste and inappropriate they are not worth being sacked for however, some education wouldn’t go astray (or perhaps it would).

AndrewP6
30-06-2018, 05:23 PM
He alone is responsible for his vile comments. The others are responsible for their guffawing and their comments. Whlie the latter are completely out of taste and inappropriate they are not worth being sacked for however, some education wouldn’t go astray (or perhaps it would).

If making the "joke" is sackable , so too is condoning it by laughing.

The standard we walk past is the standard we accept.

jeemak
30-06-2018, 05:34 PM
If making the "joke" is sackable , so too is condoning it by laughing.

The standard we walk past is the standard we accept.

Don’t agree, an immediate inappropriate response to something disgusting isn’t the same as doing something disgusting.

westdog54
30-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Don’t agree, an immediate inappropriate response to something disgusting isn’t the same as doing something disgusting.

Maybe not, but the absence of even one of the panel having the guts to call it out is galling.

Would they have made this joke if Neroli Meadows or Daisy Pearce were in the box?

jeemak
30-06-2018, 06:19 PM
Maybe not, but the absence of even one of the panel having the guts to call it out is galling.

Would they have made this joke if Neroli Meadows or Daisy Pearce were in the box?

I would hope not, but it’s irrelevant. It shouldn’t have been said or laughed at.

MMM are perfectly aware of the type audience they want and the audience they have, and who they employ to appeal to each. I’m not surprised nobody on the panel was disgusted as a first response, doesn’t mean they should be sacked.

bornadog
30-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Barry has come out and apologised.

AndrewP6
30-06-2018, 06:58 PM

Agree to disagree then, they are all guilty.

Twodogs
30-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Neanderthals still roam the earth.

That's a bit rough on the Neanderthals. It's been proven they had concepts of abstract things and produced art and maybe even music.

If I had to be abandoned on a desert island then I'd much rather be left with a group of Neanderthal than the Triple M commentry team.

The bulldog tragician
01-07-2018, 12:08 AM

I get sick of hearing this is about education. Do we really have to sit down a bunch of well-paid men that are in their 30s and patiently point out why this is wrong? I’d think even a bunch of 13yr old boys would know it’s wrong even if they can’t resist a snigger because, well, they’re 13 yr olds. What is the excuse of Leigh Montagna? Why did he even mention it?

jeemak
01-07-2018, 12:50 AM
I get sick of hearing this is about education. Do we really have to sit down a bunch of well-paid men that are in their 30s and patiently point out why this is wrong? I’d think even a bunch of 13yr old boys would know it’s wrong even if they can’t resist a snigger because, well, they’re 13 yr olds. What is the excuse of Leigh Montagna? Why did he even mention it?

Unfortunately yes, we do. For some reason these people are role models and we have to use them to teach the numpties who look up to them. It sucks, but it’s how it is.

I have no idea why Montagna got involved, it’s a mystery aside from appreciating he’s a basic idiot.

boydogs
01-07-2018, 01:36 AM
Thought it was really Barry & Montagna, and I think Leigh was the one being interviewed?

merantau
01-07-2018, 02:36 AM
I have listened to the tape and it's just incredible that a man would go along with discussing intimate details of procedures involving his wife's pregnancy.
It's alarming. It's impossible to imagine football commentators of the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s ever resorting to such a demeaning level. I'm not a prude but what was sad was appalling and the reaction to it was equally shameful. You shouldn't have to educate people about this - It's just common decency and respect. But sadly some people have no barriers or standards they will adhere to.

bornadog
01-07-2018, 12:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dg-mbSfVQAAnI8D.jpg

The bulldog tragician
01-07-2018, 01:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dg-mbSfVQAAnI8D.jpg

Not good enough. “Any offence taken” and “silly” don’t cut it. Not that any form of words is likely to be able to genuinely address what he did but this isn’t enough.

bornadog
01-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Not good enough. “Any offence taken” and “silly” don’t cut it. Not that any form of words is likely to be able to genuinely address what he did but this isn’t enough.

Yeah I thought it was a bad choice of words.

He should have said it was totally inappropriate and I will never speak or think like that in a sexist manner again, plus I will call out others.

Flamethrower
01-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Disgusting comments from Hall. How did it get to air? Don't MMM have a dump button or 7 second delay?

Remi Moses
01-07-2018, 07:21 PM
The whole MMM Friday night pre-game is just self indulgence at it's worst
I think I listened once for a minute

GVGjr
01-07-2018, 08:27 PM

As bad as he was, why didn't the others take him to task? Not many men would allow that to be said about their wives without letting them know it's not on. Hall was bad, the others weren't a lot better.

MMM really struggles in any decency test.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2018, 08:40 PM
As bad as he was, why didn't the others take him to task? Not many men would allow that to be said about their wives without letting them know it's not on. Hall was bad, the others weren't a lot better.

MMM really struggles in any decency test.

Having not listened to then for years, I'm sure their pitch to the marketplace is decency.

Barry Hall should've known better too. You can't say things like that drowning Caro Wilson is funny and have the comm box laugh, then another time use the C word, and also another time call Adam Goodes an ape/King Kong and try to initially laugh it off and think that you are ever in a million years keeping your job and able to write this stuff off as just saying they're just silly or offensive. Triple M have standards...

BornInDroopSt'54
02-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Montagna stinks. Second time he wasn't the perpetrator but was the launching pad, the provider of the context. These men are desperate to prove that they are entertainers and will scrape the bottom of the barrel to do so.

Topdog
02-07-2018, 01:56 PM
I still haven't listened to it and don't plan to but RE: the other people in the box, were they genuine laughs or nervous laughter? I would have been shocked to have heard such a thing

Murphy'sLore
02-07-2018, 02:02 PM
I don't want to listen to it again, but it struck me as nervous, disbelieving and groans. Everyone in that box knew they were well over the line by that point. Surprised it took them so long.

The bulldog tragician
02-07-2018, 03:34 PM
There were guffaws. Think The Footy Show when Sam crosses the line and everyone’s secretly delighted but trying to appear outraged. None of this is actually a surprise given AFL culture and that in prime time Wayne Carey, who committed an act of family violence, and had previous form in randomly assaulting a woman when he was drunk because “we’ve just lost a final” gets to commentate on matches. The reality is afl is more evolved in dealing with racism than issues of disrespect for women.

AndrewP6
02-07-2018, 09:14 PM
Typical sort of disingenuous, faux outrage those cretins use week in, week out. "Noooo.... Oh come on...." mixed in with laughter. They knew it was wrong, they went along with it anyway.

bornadog
24-03-2022, 12:28 AM
Should have stayed retired and not boxed. Sonny B Williams knocked him out first round tonight.

Axe Man
24-03-2022, 10:33 AM
Should have stayed retired and not boxed. Sonny B Williams knocked him out first round tonight.

SBW is 9 years younger and 11 kgs heavier. If Barry had have got back into boxing 10 years ago he might have done better. I'm sure his bank account looks ok though for 2 minutes work.

jeemak
24-03-2022, 10:45 AM
It really did look like an ammo bout with one fighter being stronger, quicker and younger. Call me cynical but it seemed like a set up practice run for SBW.

bornadog
24-03-2022, 10:50 AM
SBW is 9 years younger and 11 kgs heavier. If Barry had have got back into boxing 10 years ago he might have done better. I'm sure his bank account looks ok though for 2 minutes work.
Hope the money was worth it.