PDA

View Full Version : GWS player predictions.

chef
21-07-2011, 08:24 AM
What's everybody's thoughts on who they will end up with?

Here's mine.

Mitch Clark
Rhys Palmer
Taylor Walker
Callan Ward
Tom Scully

And maybe Andrew Walker, but will probably stay where he is.

Mofra
21-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Clark's name was conspicuously absent fromt he list of recently re-signed Brisbane Lions players, so I'd expect him to go.

At a guess:

Mitch Clark
Rhys Palmer
Taylor Walker
Tom Scully
Alipate Carlisle
Mark Blake possible - although I expect them to may a play for Hamish McIntosh via trade

1eyedog
21-07-2011, 10:24 AM
In addition to the above other possibles are;

Daniel Pearce
Josh Hill
Mitch Brown
Dylan Addison

Remi Moses
21-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Palmer
Walker
Carlisle or the other port backman Chaplin
Clarke
Scully

AndrewP6
21-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Did everyone see the Hun today... My kids told Tom he has to stay! :)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/kids-say-tom-scully-should-stay-a-demon/story-fn6bfmgc-1226098536926

Girl on the left is in my grade :)

So,

Walker
Carlisle
Addison
Hill
Palmer

Callan I'm just unsure about, I've gone back and forth over it several times. Trying to be positive I'll say he stays!

Go_Dogs
21-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Phil Davis from the Crows is apparently attracting a bit of attention.

chef
22-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Phil Davis from the Crows is apparently attracting a bit of attention.

Bernie Vince too apparently.

I think Crows fan would be hoping Walker goes if it's a choice out of those three.

BulldogBelle
22-07-2011, 10:04 AM

I think Crows fan would be hoping Walker goes if it's a choice out of those three.

SA Footy is struggling at the moment - poor performances, poor crowds, better players getting poached by the new sides...

GWS can take Tutt or Addision or Cross anyday from us over Ward

Go_Dogs
23-07-2011, 08:19 AM

Maybe they'll end up like Brisbane and lose multiple players. 3 talented blokes who they'll get bugger all for. :p

The Adelaide Connection
25-07-2011, 10:22 PM
A colleague of mine had a daughter at the annual Melbourne Crows supporter ball on Saturday night and she was allegedly told by a very drunken and important member of the inner sanctum that Phil Davis wants too much coin and is "gone". Would assume that would mean GWS and would assume that would mean the Crows may not lose the (bloke with all the attributes but) Dumbest footballer in the Afl: Mr. Walker.

The Coon Dog
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Adelaide Crow Phil Davis has announced that he has signed with GWS.

Desipura
02-08-2011, 11:16 AM
A colleague of mine had a daughter at the annual Melbourne Crows supporter ball on Saturday night and she was allegedly told by a very drunken and important member of the inner sanctum that Phil Davis wants too much coin and is "gone". Would assume that would mean GWS and would assume that would mean the Crows may not lose the (bloke with all the attributes but) Dumbest footballer in the Afl: Mr. Walker.

Your source was right on the money..........pardon the pun! :D

Greystache
02-08-2011, 11:28 AM
That's 2 years in a row now the Crows have lost a player to a start up team, and both times they've announced it before the end of the season. Something a bit rotten over in Adelaide at the moment.

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
That's 2 years in a row now the Crows have lost a player to a start up team, and both times they've announced it before the end of the season. Something a bit rotten over in Adelaide at the moment.

Or the bloke just wanted to be forthright with his mates and they saw no point in trying to hide it.

Throughandthrough
02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
MAYBE GWS and Crows will swap Taylor Walker for Ben Kennedy?

(I hope)

Desipura
02-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Something a bit rotten over in Adelaide at the moment.
Its called water.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2011, 08:37 PM

We're likely to be in the same boat in losing 2, although last year given we played finals Harbrow didn't get announced early. Davis is also unavailable for selection at the moment due to injury, so the timing isn't so much an issue.

Anyway, one bites the dust. I have a feeling Ward will be next, and it sucks.

Remi Moses
02-08-2011, 09:23 PM
We're likely to be in the same boat in losing 2, although last year given we played finals Harbrow didn't get announced early. Davis is also unavailable for selection at the moment due to injury, so the timing isn't so much an issue.

Anyway, one bites the dust. I have a feeling Ward will be next, and it sucks.

If that's the case I hope Ward announces it shortly. We need games into Wallis Tutt Howard.
No point with the season shot if that's the case.

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Easton won't be going

comrade
02-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Easton won't be going

I like Easton so it'd be nice to see him stay. But it would mean that Ward is probably gone, which is disastrous for us.

The AFL can get *!*!*!*!ed.

ledge
02-08-2011, 09:43 PM
why do either of them have to go?

The Underdog
02-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I like Easton so it'd be nice to see him stay. But it would mean that Ward is probably gone, which is disastrous for us.

The AFL can get *!*!*!*!ed.

I second that. They couldn't give a *!*!*!*! about supporters of existing clubs. Just want to pat their GWS puppy.

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Easton won't be going

Based on ...?

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Based on ...?

Blind optimism

The Adelaide Connection
02-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Your source was right on the money..........pardon the pun! :D

Ha ha nice. Apparently the Crows threw the most money by a mile that they have ever thrown at a kids so young and it still wan't even ballpark.

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Blind optimism

Blast, I was hoping you were going to tell me that you're his best friend and he swore to you on his mother's life.

mjp
03-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Ha ha nice. Apparently the Crows threw the most money by a mile that they have ever thrown at a kids so young and it still wan't even ballpark.

...and Davis is an Adelaide kid.

This is the thing to remember with the offer to Ward - if it really is worth $500k per year for him to leave, he just has to leave. He has too. He is a knee injury away from this being the last contract that he ever signs and he cannot lose sight of that. Family ties, friends, girlfriends...whatever. He isn't moving to the dark side of the moon - it is a 1hour plane trip (and regular fares offered at < $100) away from them.

ledge
03-08-2011, 10:54 AM

This is the thing to remember with the offer to Ward - if it really is worth $500k per year for him to leave, he just has to leave. He has too. He is a knee injury away from this being the last contract that he ever signs and he cannot lose sight of that. Family ties, friends, girlfriends...whatever. He isn't moving to the dark side of the moon - it is a 1hour plane trip (and regular fares offered at < $100) away from them.

And he will get a few footy related trips here free:D

Bulldog4life
03-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Read today that he lived in Sydney up to age 14 years.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 05:48 PM

I'd want to leave adelaide too if I lived there.

The Underdog
03-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Which is why I won't hate Cal for leaving. It'll hurt for sure, but man am I going to hate GWS. Irrational "more than Carlton" hatred is what I'm going for.

westdog54
03-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Which is why I won't hate Cal for leaving. It'll hurt for sure, but man am I going to hate GWS. Irrational "more than Carlton" hatred is what I'm going for.

This.

The opportunity he has to set himself up for the rest of his life simply cannot be ignored. I'd be shattered but it'd be impossible for me to hold it against him.

azabob
03-08-2011, 08:56 PM
This.

The opportunity he has to set himself up for the rest of his life simply cannot be ignored. I'd be shattered but it'd be impossible for me to hold it against him.

He can set himself up for life if he accepts a lesser deal also.

1eyedog
03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Why hasn't Ward come out and said he isn't going?

He's just waiting until the end of the season to announce it isn't he?

azabob
03-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Why hasn't Ward come out and said he isn't going?

He's just waiting until the end of the season to announce it isn't he?

It seems that way, doesn't it? Ward going that is.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 09:30 PM
If Ward said he was going to Gws now and we were no chance of finals then I would be telling him to pack now.

Throughandthrough
03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I'd want to leave adelaide too if I lived there.

Why?

bornadog
03-08-2011, 10:33 PM
He can set himself up for life if he accepts a lesser deal also.

Exactly, $450k is nothing to be sneezed at, and who is to say he won't get $700k plus in 3 years time.

The Adelaide Connection
03-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Exactly, $450k is nothing to be sneezed at, and who is to say he won't get $700k plus in 3 years time.

The crap part about it is that if we were Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton et al we would be able to promise him the difference in deals from promo work and other sneaky top-up shenanigans.

The more I think about this the more Free agency scares the shit out of me.

The Adelaide Connection
03-08-2011, 11:57 PM
If they fail to get Thomas or another A grader from Collingwood I wonder if they will go for someone like Fasalo (assuming he is out of contract)? They should. Surely Collingwood can't keep them all?

Remi Moses
04-08-2011, 04:10 AM
This.

Total Rubbish. Chris Grant did well for himself by staying after Port offered the world.Luke Darcy's done well after footy. The list is endless

Desipura
04-08-2011, 06:50 AM
If they fail to get Thomas or another A grader from Collingwood I wonder if they will go for someone like Fasalo (assuming he is out of contract)? They should. Surely Collingwood can't keep them all?

He only got drafted last season so he has another year left on his contract

The Coon Dog
04-08-2011, 07:36 AM
He only got drafted last season so he has another year left on his contract

Unlike GC, GWS can take uncontracted players for 2 seasons, so we all face the same threat in 12 months time.

BulldogBelle
04-08-2011, 01:06 PM
The Crows are in uproar about Phil Davis - and rightly so

Although when the shoe was on the other foot and they took players when they entered the competition - (I'm thinking McGuinness, Jarman, Mickan etc etc) they werent complaining

Again - its funny that no 'required' player from Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood or West Coast jumped ship last season or looks like jumping ship this season...

Pretty obviously that the power clubs look after their players outside of the salary cap

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 03:27 PM
The Crows are in uproar about Phil Davis - and rightly so

Although when the shoe was on the other foot and they took players when they entered the competition - (I'm thinking McGuinness, Jarman, Mickan etc etc) they werent complaining

It annoys me that Simon Tregenza never played for us

OLD SCRAGGer
04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Unlike GC, GWS can take uncontracted players for 2 seasons, so we all face the same threat in 12 months time.

Surely they can't take another player from us IF Callan goes???? :eek:

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 04:05 PM

Yeah, that would have been good watching him kick into the northerly. Would have gone over his head, I reckon

Throughandthrough
04-08-2011, 04:08 PM

He kicked a football,
in the air.
Where it land,
he know not where.

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Ha. Darren Davies was allowed to do it.

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Surely they can't take another player from us IF Callan goes???? :eek:

Nothing against the rules for them to. And considering how weak our position is generally speaking (compared to the clubs paying their players outside the cap) why wouldn't they come and raid us again? GC got their only established under-25 from us, GWS will land Ward, they'd be silly not to come back for seconds.

I'm looking forward to the 4 or so extra first round picks over the next few years though, could set us up nicely compared to other established clubs coming out of the GC/GWS compromised drafts -- one of the new franchises will win a premiership in their first five years though, as most established clubs will be bottoming out pretty heavily then (having all been trading instead of drafting these past couple of years). I can definitely see another couple of failed prelims for the Dogs come 2015/16.

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Nothing against the rules for them to. And considering how weak our position is generally speaking (compared to the clubs paying their players outside the cap) why wouldn't they come and raid us again? GC got their only established under-25 from us, GWS will land Ward, they'd be silly not to come back for seconds.

I'm looking forward to the 4 or so extra first round picks over the next few years though, could set us up nicely compared to other established clubs coming out of the GC/GWS compromised drafts -- one of the new franchises will win a premiership in their first five years though, as most established clubs will be bottoming out pretty heavily then (having all been trading instead of drafting these past couple of years). I can definitely see another couple of failed prelims for the Dogs come 2015/16.

If they take Ward they can't take anyone else.

Only one player from each club over the 2 years

Greystache
04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
If they take Ward they can't take anyone else.

Only one player from each club over the 2 years

Correct, unless they want to do a trade like Brisbane did with Brennan.

BulldogBelle
04-08-2011, 09:27 PM

Harsh. But true.

I'm unsure of the rules, but if we lost Ward this year and banked the positions until next years draft, could we improve our draft position vs using the picks this year?

We also dont want to be forced to take an early pick on a father/son - if Hunter/Beasley will be ready in 2012 and are good enough to be 1st round selections

westdog54
04-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Total Rubbish. Chris Grant did well for himself by staying after Port offered the world.Luke Darcy's done well after footy. The list is endless

Apples and Oranges. The firgures we're talking about make Port's offers look like church change.

Greystache
04-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Harsh. But true.

I'm unsure of the rules, but if we lost Ward this year and banked the positions until next years draft, could we improve our draft position vs using the picks this year?

We also dont want to be forced to take an early pick on a father/son - if Hunter/Beasley will be ready in 2012 and are good enough to be 1st round selections

Given Will Beasley doesn't even play footy anymore, I think we can safely say he won't be a first round draft pick. With Hunter, we'll know early enough if he's likely to be a first round draft pick, so we won't have to make any quick decisions about him.

Remi Moses
05-08-2011, 02:54 AM
Apples and Oranges. The firgures we're talking about make Port's offers look like church change.

Talking of life after football. I'm sure a Sydney media career awaits Callan after Footy. Or property development in Liverpool or Rooty Hill:eek:

immortalmike
05-08-2011, 01:18 PM

If you're talking about Port's offer to Chris, you are wrong. Chris was offered almost 1 million a year, which would have made him (and Kouta) not only the highest paid player in the league but also would have doubled his salary at the Bulldogs. It was hardly church change.

Greystache
06-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Andrew Walker has signed a new 3 year deal with Carlton yesterday, looks like he'll be there long term now.

chef
06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Andrew Walker has signed a new 3 year deal with Carlton yesterday, looks like he'll be there long term now.

If only........................:(

GVGjr
06-08-2011, 02:44 PM

I thought we could have chased him a bit harder but Carlton rightly wanted a high price. We could have used him at both ends of the ground.

KT31
06-08-2011, 02:49 PM

Love to take the plate around at your church Westdog.
Grant was rumoured to be offered one million a season a KFC or Mcdonalds outlet.

Greystache
06-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I thought we could have chased him a bit harder but Carlton rightly wanted a high price. We could have used him at both ends of the ground.

Agreed, he's in an age bracket where we lack quality too.

Maddog37
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Agreed, he's in an age bracket where we lack quality too.

Let's see him have an impact against a good team before he is wrapped up too much. I don't mind him as a player but he is not the messiah.

LostDoggy
06-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Anyone here the 'muppet on SEN' on the run home Thursday arvo?

He rang about who GWS were getting about having a picture sent to him of the whiteboard down at Alberton? Oval.

He mentioned a few things all I can remember was Scully, A.Carlisle, Max Bailey? or something similar. Last one I remember was Cooney - pending a physical.

Cant take much from it but did anyone else hear that? fill in the gaps?

Remi Moses
06-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Was that something about Them being interested in Cooney( pending medical)
Wouldn't think so!

westdog54
07-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Love to take the plate around at your church Westdog.
Grant was rumoured to be offered one million a season a KFC or Mcdonalds outlet.

15 Years ago?

Gotta say I never heard that one, and I'd be pretty dubious on it if I heard it, given the 1mil salaries have only just started to become talked about.

immortalmike
09-08-2011, 02:00 AM
15 Years ago?

Gotta say I never heard that one, and I'd be pretty dubious on it if I heard it, given the 1mil salaries have only just started to become talked about.

What you never heard of Kouta?

strebla
09-08-2011, 11:04 AM
15 Years ago?

Thats the way i remember it aswell Westdog and yeah it was a truckload back then but remember we are talking Chris Grant here not Shannon Grant.

1eyedog
09-08-2011, 11:22 AM
What you never heard of Kouta?

I thought it was back-ended. 1 million in one season and then two 350k per season payments equating to 1.7 million over three years, or 550-600k a season.

Back then it was a fair slab of cheese considering top liners today are on about the same.

chef
26-09-2011, 08:40 AM
From the Herald Sun http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1226132702188

Quote:
HAS THE GWS GOT A BIG FISH?

Continuing speculation in the last few days that GWS has another big fish which it has landed.

Talk from within the club is that they have someone no one knows, but that he is from a club playing finals.

Kevin Sheedy has denied it, but the club says they have a couple more players to sign.

The talk is emanating from players already at GWS, so who knows just how much truth it has?

If you ever considered the effect free agency will have so far, just look at the Giants recruits.

Every one so far has come from a bottom-eight side: Callan Ward, Phil Davis, Rhys Palmer, Chad Cornes, Dean Brogan, and maybe Luke Power and Tom Scully.

It shows that clubs in positions of power keep their players.

Why will it be any different when free agency rolls around?

Of course we might be surprised by a raft of GWS signings when finals aspirants are knocked out, but we doubt it.

Desipura
26-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Anyone here the 'muppet on SEN' on the run home Thursday arvo?

He rang about who GWS were getting about having a picture sent to him of the whiteboard down at Alberton? Oval.

He mentioned a few things all I can remember was Scully, A.Carlisle, Max Bailey? or something similar. Last one I remember was Cooney - pending a physical.
Cant take much from it but did anyone else hear that? fill in the gaps?

This is about 2 months old, they continually play it on SEN.