PDA

View Full Version : Lake still on the shelf

AndrewP6
23-07-2011, 12:47 AM
From the Hun...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brian-lake-faces-more-troubled-waters/story-e6frf9jf-1226100071414

the banker
23-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Seems something is seriously up with Brian....Struggling with something. Good luck to him in overcoming the challenges. An awesome player that we desperately need.

chef
23-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Seems something is seriously up with Brian....Struggling with something. Good luck to him in overcoming the challenges. An awesome player that we desperately need.

His body;)

w3design
23-07-2011, 02:15 PM
This is getting seriously concerning. Whether physical or mental surely it is time to announce that Brian will not play again this season and work on a plan to get him right for 2012. Don't know if that is a tailored fitness program, a long physical rest, surgery..or time with a psychologist?? (don't mean this in a critical way, if he really has issues of feeling he will never be fit again then surely there are mental tools to deal with them).

I feel very disappointed that for whatever reason Brian has offered so little this year, but time to say this season's a write-off..it's not like we're premiership contenders.

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 10:05 PM
This is second hand information so I can not guarantee it, nor give the context in which it was said although there is no reason to not believe the friend.

A friend was at a party last week where Cooney and Lake where also present.

Lake said something along the lines of "Don't place any bets on me being at the club next year."

The Underdog
24-07-2011, 10:32 PM
This is second hand information so I can not guarantee it, nor give the context in which it was said although there is no reason to not believe the friend.

Lake said something along the lines of "Don't place any bets on me being at the club next year."

Well he's contracted so he has very little control over it. There'd want to be some fairly serious pieces coming back to us in a trade.
On the other side if that's his mindset at this point that's pretty poor.
Hopefully it isn't true.

G-Mo77
24-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Best news I've heard all day. :)

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Well he's contracted so he has very little control over it. There'd want to be some fairly serious pieces coming back to us in a trade.
On the other side if that's his mindset at this point that's pretty poor.
Hopefully it isn't true.

And they also need to pick up his full salary. A prospective club would be crazy to pay top dollar and a big chunk of their cap for a player who has just missed an entire year and about to turn 30.

Remi Moses
25-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Just heard one of the SEN overnight guys say he'd been told Lake wants out!
What in hell is going on down there??:confused:

chef
25-07-2011, 08:21 AM

If it means we can afford to keep Ward, then so be it. Plus we are going to be fairly compensated for his loss.

Mofra
25-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Best news I've heard all day. :)
Terrible thing to say

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Terrible thing to say
I read that as a sarcastic comment !

Curly5
25-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Just heard one of the SEN overnight guys say he'd been told Lake wants out!
What in hell is going on down there??:confused:

So-called journalists trawling this forum again? :rolleyes:

bornadog
25-07-2011, 01:15 PM
German said he probably won't play this week either.

G-Mo77
25-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Terrible thing to say

I read that as a sarcastic comment !

Sorry OldBulldog I wasn't using sarcasm.

Mofra, yeah sounds bad. I'm just over the whole Lake drama, it's plagued us all season and in all honesty would prefer that he left and left us with a bit more cash to spend on those who will be around past next season and may bring us a decent pick or player in return. His best is behind him and we'd be better off putting time into someone who could fill his role rather than patching up something that may never come good.

Mofra
25-07-2011, 02:11 PM
He has people close to him who read these boards and I know one is very unhappy with Bulldog supporters ATM - I know as a player I'd prefer support over vitriol or indifference.

Mantis
25-07-2011, 02:33 PM
He has people close to him who read these boards and I know one is very unhappy with Bulldog supporters ATM - I know as a player I'd prefer support over vitriol or indifference.

As a Bulldogs supporter I would like him to be playing the type of footy we pay him to play.

I don't think it is much to ask to even hear him interviewed so we know where he is at.... we are hearing nothing and it's frustrating because our season is going down the toilet and our best player over the past 3 years has been a complete and utter non-factor.

G-Mo77
25-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Of course you would prefer support but do you honestly think it would be any different if he was at another club? It would be exactly the same, if not worse. I'd rather him concentrate on proving dickheads like me wrong than trawling internet forums and worrying about what a few people have to say about him.

Doesn't say much for his character if that is in fact true Mofra.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Sorry OldBulldog I wasn't using sarcasm.

Mofra, yeah sounds bad. I'm just over the whole Lake drama, it's plagued us all season and in all honesty would prefer that he left and left us with a bit more cash to spend on those who will be around past next season and may bring us a decent pick or player in return. His best is behind him and we'd be better off putting time into someone who could fill his role rather than patching up something that may never come good.

AA fullback past two years, probably the best fullback that has played in the red white and blue over 100 years and in the top ten of all time AFL fullbacks and you prefer to get rid of him because he had three operations and is finding it hard to recover.:confused:

Lakes injuries are equal to knee reco guys who take awhile to come back. If we took your attitude then guys like Doug Hawkins, Tony Libba, Chris Grant (to name a few) who suffered some bad injuries would be written off and not allowed to continue at the club.

Lake will recover and he will be back, whether its this year or next.

G-Mo77
25-07-2011, 02:58 PM
AA fullback past two years, probably the best fullback that has played in the red white and blue over 100 years and in the top ten of all time AFL fullbacks and you prefer to get rid of him because he had three operations and is finding it hard to recover.:confused:

Lakes injuries are equal to knee reco guys who take awhile to come back. If we took your attitude then guys like Doug Hawkins, Tony Libba, Chris Grant (to name a few) who suffered some bad injuries would be written off and not allowed to continue at the club.

Lake will recover and he will be back, whether its this year or next.

Those 3 players you mentioned busted their ass to get back to peak form, especially Libba, that was such a brave and courageous comeback. He had everyone against him and he still found a way. You wouldn't have seen him stick his bottom lip out when a few people said he couldn't do it. I'm sure that made him work harder. I have heard or seen nothing of Lake working his butt of to get back to AA form.

Mantis
25-07-2011, 03:14 PM

If it was this serious why was he back running (in full training) less than 3 months after the operation?

Also I have heard nothing to suggest it was as serious as a reco either, can you provide a link to this info.?

bornadog
25-07-2011, 03:26 PM
If it was this serious why was he back running (in full training) less than 3 months after the operation?

Also I have heard nothing to suggest it was as serious as a reco either, can you provide a link to this info.?

I will find the link but may take some time and is attributed to Rocket saying that many times. Irrespective of that, we can all agree that he hasn't recovered. Whether its a physical thing or mental thing.

You need to read the point of my post.

Mantis
25-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I will find the link but may take some time and is attributed to Rocket saying that many times. Irrespective of that, we can all agree that he hasn't recovered. Whether its a physical thing or mental thing.

You need to read the point of my post.

I have read the point of your post.

My point why has Brian been a complete non-factor this year when he started training some 8 weeks before the season started? I know it takes time to get back, but he has shown no improvement over almost a 6 month period which is astonishing in a professional environment.

G-Mo77
25-07-2011, 03:37 PM

My point why has Brian been a complete non-factor this year when he started training some 8 weeks before the season started? I know it takes time to get back, but he has shown no improvement over almost a 6 month period which is almost astonishing.

Training program? Work rate? Body giving way?

I'm inclined to believe it's a little of all of those reasons.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 03:43 PM

My point why has Brian been a complete non-factor this year when he started training some 8 weeks before the season started? I know it takes time to get back, but he has shown no improvement over almost a 6 month period which is astonishing in a professional environment.

Very frustrating having him out, who knows. However, if it was my decision I would not be trying to offload him.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 03:50 PM

Read this regarding the comments by Rocket on his operation:

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9392

G-Mo77
25-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Very frustrating having him out, who knows. However, if it was my decision I would not be trying to offload him.

But what if another team was really chasing him hard and got a decent offer for him. You would turn it down?

He is one of our highest paid players, turning 30 next year coming from an injury plagued season. I'd be listening to anyone. If the rumors are he wants to go with a year under contract that is a pretty good scenario for us.

Mantis
25-07-2011, 03:53 PM
But what if another team was really chasing him hard and got a decent offer for him. You would turn it down?

He is one of our highest paid players, turning 30 next year coming from an injury plagued season. I'd be listening to anyone. If the rumors are he wants to go with a year under contract that is a pretty good scenario for us.

Make that 2.

G-Mo77
25-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Make that 2.

Yes it was 4 years and not 3.

I'm 100% behind moving him then. If we can get that off the books it will help a lot.

Mantis
25-07-2011, 04:09 PM
If Brian wants out would you stop him?

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:17 PM
If Brian wants out would you stop him?

That's a different story, but of course that depends on whether things can be patched up or not.

If he wants out and there is no way he will play for us, then trade away.

w3design
25-07-2011, 04:33 PM
If Lake's difficulties are 100% physical and completely the result of rotten luck and compounding injury then I would completely support keeping him.

If however they reflect unprofessionalism and a poor attitude, in a very tring period for our club, then I am not so sure we shouldn't be open to trading him.

And the implication of unprofessionalism isn't one being dreamed up by supporters, it has been quite pointedly put out there by Eade. Hard for us to know if it is unfair or not, but in the examples given re Grant, Libber etc, fans never had any reason to doubt that they were working their guts out to get back.

We read about how long it's taken for Hargrave to get back, for example, and no one feels anything but sympathy for the guy. Unfortunately with Brian the idea has been allowed to fester that there is a mindset issue AS WELL AS the undoubted physical one. Either the club is being unfair with its veiled hints about Brian being 'unable to play through pain' or Brian is indeed letting us and his team mates down.

Mofra
25-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Of course you would prefer support but do you honestly think it would be any different if he was at another club? It would be exactly the same, if not worse. I'd rather him concentrate on proving dickheads like me wrong than trawling internet forums and worrying about what a few people have to say about him.

Doesn't say much for his character if that is in fact true Mofra.
Of course it makes a difference - the grass is always greener on the other side, and many people change jobs when unsatisfied with an employer when no guarantee exists that things will be better elsewhere. Human nature.

I'd expect if my confidants were hell bent on encouraging me to move on, that would exert some influence my decision.

BulldogBelle
25-07-2011, 05:37 PM
If Lake says behind closed doors he doesnt want to be at the club, what would people think of a Lake for Dangerfield (plus a 1st round draft pick) trade

Saying this given the comments surrounding his lack of work ethic, his inability to play injured, getting away with things that other players wouldnt...

the banker
25-07-2011, 05:47 PM
We have no clue what is going on which is fueling speculation.

Brians frame of mind is more secret than Abbottabad. Someone will leak something one day until then, we have no idea where he is at.

Brian could change all this with an interview....

chef
25-07-2011, 06:03 PM
If Lake says behind closed doors he doesnt want to be at the club, what would people think of a Lake for Dangerfield (plus a 1st round draft pick) trade

Saying this given the comments surrounding his lack of work ethic, his inability to play injured, getting away with things that other players wouldnt...

He's not worth that much. Maybe a swap for a Dangerfield or a Vince, but we would probably have to add a pick somewhere(plus I don't know if he would want to go back to SA).

TBH the only clubs which would be interested IMO would be Saints, Hawks or Blues. Clubs in their premiership windows and in need of a FB.

I hope we do hang onto him and play him at FF next season.

G-Mo77
25-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Of course it makes a difference - the grass is always greener on the other side, and many people change jobs when unsatisfied with an employer when no guarantee exists that things will be better elsewhere. Human nature.

I'd expect if my confidants were hell bent on encouraging me to move on, that would exert some influence my decision.

Let's see how greener they are at Carlton then, who would be a suitor. I'm sure if he starts to struggle there the fans will be ultra supportive.

If Lake has issues with internet fans and that is helping him make his decision to leave then goodbye, I'd prefer a player with much thicker skin.

That's just the way I see it mate. Don't take it as me shooting the messenger, I appreciate the info. :)

Maddog37
25-07-2011, 07:07 PM
So you would rather a lesser player than Lake as long as he is thick skinned? Your comments are smelly.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 07:27 PM
If Lake's difficulties are 100% physical and completely the result of rotten luck and compounding injury then I would completely support keeping him.

If however they reflect unprofessionalism and a poor attitude, in a very tring period for our club, then I am not so sure we shouldn't be open to trading him.

And the implication of unprofessionalism isn't one being dreamed up by supporters, it has been quite pointedly put out there by Eade. Hard for us to know if it is unfair or not, but in the examples given re Grant, Libber etc, fans never had any reason to doubt that they were working their guts out to get back.

We read about how long it's taken for Hargrave to get back, for example, and no one feels anything but sympathy for the guy. Unfortunately with Brian the idea has been allowed to fester that there is a mindset issue AS WELL AS the undoubted physical one. Either the club is being unfair with its veiled hints about Brian being 'unable to play through pain' or Brian is indeed letting us and his team mates down.

Agree with you Remember54 - this is a very balanced view. I would hope that this is not about unprofessionalism, but rather just a very difficult number of injuries to try and recover from. It's so difficult when you keep being fed different information via the media to know what is exactly going on. Brian has been incredibly silent throughout all this - surely if it is a very physical issue, it would be much better PR for him to come out and be interviewed so we can at least try and understand just what he is going through. The silence doesn't do him any favours at all, IMO.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 08:30 PM
yes I would turn it down, AA fullbacks don't grow on trees.

Agree with this.
It's one thing to trade him for something decent. But He is one of the best full backs of the last few years. How do you cover that? Even if someone threw up a awesome midfielder then that doesn't help the dogs one bit. Teams have shown you need solid key position players across the field to have success. Look at the Coll/Gee teams of recient times.
I guess a decision has to be made where "is he well and truely past it?" if so get who ever you can while he still had a little value. But if he can go around for a few more and wants to stay then you have to hang on to that.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 10:27 PM
I want Lake to stay.
But if he doesn't want to stay he will never be right, one way or the other.
It's just so hard when you hear all these different snippets of info.
I wish he and the club would just be straight, but I guess if they are trying to work through relationship issues that may do more harm than good.
The problem is we don't really know what the problem is.