PDA

View Full Version : Round #18 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
23-07-2011, 02:56 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or even a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this afternoons game against the Sydney Swans.

GVGjr
23-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Many positives?

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Many positives?

Barry Hall, will be sad to see him hang up the boots.

AndrewP6
23-07-2011, 06:24 PM
SLAPS

Hall. Did what he could. Sensational effort in a side comprehensively beaten.

SLEDGES

Misses like Gia's from the top of the square. Pathetic.

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Slaps:

- Wood, played a great game today with many great hard efforts, looks like he is getting confidence with his body back, just needs to find a little bit more footy.

- Baz, limited chances but played a great game, shame he couldnt convert the one in the last.

-Cross, what a great first half he played before he got subbed off. If only the rest of the team put half the effort into this game.

Sledges:

- Gia and Griffen, horrible misses from our 'leaders'

- Cooney, didn't want to be there.

- Addison got a chance and did nothing about it.

- Grant, Aweful.

- Gilbee, Love you as a player but it's over.

w3design
23-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Slap, Barry
Slap, Wood, I thought his main asset was his run and carry but his fierce contesting work is really good lately.

Sledge: The inability of Boyd, workhorse though he is, to closely check his man or to make anything of his umpteen possessions.
Sledge: after some a purple patch Gia has been decidedly 'lilac'. looked very slow.
Sledge: I hate sledging griff but that awful miss can't be overlooked. he really had a 'Barry Crocker '.
Sledge: Just about everyone really.
Sledge: biased commentary the last straw, Roos just about on his feet cheering on a goal.

Hotdog60
23-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Slaps:

- Wood, played a great game today with many great hard efforts, looks like he is getting confidence with his body back, just needs to find a little bit more footy.

- Baz, limited chances but played a great game, shame he couldnt convert the one in the last.

-Cross, what a great first half he played before he got subbed off. If only the rest of the team put half the effort into this game.

Sledges:

- Gia and Griffen, horrible misses from our 'leaders'

- Cooney, didn't want to be there.

- Addison got a chance and did nothing about it.

- Grant, Aweful.

- Gilbee, Love you as a player but it's over.

I wouldn't say that Cooney doesn't want to be there, I'd say that the heavy conditions weren't doing his knee any favors.
Cooney maybe a player that only gets picked if the conditions and himself feel ok.

Greystache
23-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Slaps

Bazza- at his best today
Um...
We got to the ground on time.

Sledges

Players not following instructions*
Players not executing their skills well enough*

* I haven't seen Eade's press conference yet, but we've heard those two lines after every loss for the past 3 years, so that must be the reason.

comrade
23-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Players not following instructions*
Players not executing their skills well enough*

* I haven't seen Eade's press conference yet, but we've heard those two lines after every loss for the past 3 years, so that must be the reason.

Now that you're a moderator, can you add an emoticon that says "game plan sucks" just to save yourself (and others) from having to type?

Greystache
23-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Now that you're a moderator, can you add an emoticon that says "game plan sucks" just to save yourself (and others) from having to type?

It may be easier to make that your signature rather than having to type it reply, after reply, after reply... even to posts that don't mention game plan.

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Gameplan goes out the window when you can't win many contests

Remi Moses
23-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Slaps- Barry ( great again)
Slaps- Wood( really coming good)

Sledge- where do you start?
The lack of work and effort . Embarrassing

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Slap - Ward
Slap - BBBHall
Slap - Jones for that good contested mark

Sledge - Grant 4 possessions WTF is he doing in the side?
Sledge - Lake not even playing VFL level

Think we need to rebuild at this point.....

bornadog
23-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Ok not many Slaps today so mine will all be based on passages of play.

Slap - Hall running around the man late in the 2nd quarter and then slotting it from 50metres to put us ahead.

Slap - Hoopers goal - against two Swans from 10 metres out. Swans fumbled a simple pass back towards our goal, Hooper ran in slid under the player, got tackled by two Swnas, but managed to put boot to ball

Sledge - Gia's give me goal when Barry could have slotted it through, handballs over to Gia in an open goal and Gia hits the post.

Sledge - The misses from 20 metres out in the last quarter - Gia, Barry and Griffen

kruder
23-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Slaps to both Wood and Hall really liked there games.

Sledge Higgins the tease pony! If you play in defence you must still man up! Trade bait....

Sledge The match committee. DJ will never be up to AFL standard!

firstdogonthemoon
23-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Sledge: me for giving up this year and the whole team for making it so easy

1eyedog
23-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Slaps

Hall, Wood and Ward.

Sledge

Williams, your man's name was Reid, I'm stuffed if I know his number but man up on him!

Rocket, who the hell was tagging Goodes and why did Shaw do as he liked off a half back flank for most of the match.

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Thought Libba did pretty well as the sub for Cross - good example to a few others.

G-Mo77
24-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Slap - Hall, will be missed

Slap - Ward, will be missed. Please stay!!!

Slap - Only 4 games left.

Sledge - 2011 season what a horrible nightmare.

The Pie Man
24-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Sledge: biased commentary the last straw, Roos just about on his feet cheering on a goal.

Roos really needs to give calling Swans games a spell. At least we had BJ to balance it in Canberra earlier this year (he calling Dogs games not ideal either obviously)

There was one bit of play where Reid wasn't paid a mark and Roos thought it worthwhile to complain about him being held...give it up Paul

Ghost Dog
24-07-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm home caring for my folks and had to listen via Radio.
Complete absence of Dogs names being called out was pretty depressing.

Sockeye Salmon
24-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm home caring for my folks and had to listen via Radio.
Complete absence of Dogs names being called out was pretty depressing.

At one point the commentator actually called, "that's a fantastic mark from some Bulldogs player".

Doc26
24-07-2011, 01:45 PM
At one point the commentator actually called, "that's a fantastic mark from some Bulldogs player".

Marcus Picken maybe.

Mantis
24-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Marcus Picken maybe.

Nah, it was Brad Boyd.

Sedat
24-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Missed the game but i'd still like to sledge the Bulldogs list managers from 1982 for seeing fit not to keep Bruce Reid on the list for another season :(

bornadog
24-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Missed the game but i'd still like to sledge the Bulldogs list managers from 1982 for seeing fit not to keep Bruce Reid on the list for another season :(

Just imagine the two boys in Red,White and Blue. The club administrators in the late 70's to early 80's were woeful. In fact you can go back to the mid 50's to mid 80's.

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Makes me cry. Imagine those two in our team.

Slap: Barry, Easton for his attack on the ball/body

Sledge: MC if they don't change a quarter of the side and bring in the babies/newbies. Also kicking for goal.

Bulldog4life
24-07-2011, 02:47 PM

To think that their grandfather and uncle played with us too. :(

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Slap : Hall , did what any champion FF does best , made the most of his opportunities

Slap : Hooper , did what any talented young player does best , made the most of his opportunities , might not of punted the stat sheet but a disposal efficiency of 80% means the Worminator will be on the team sheet next week

Sledge : Addison , has got some talent and was given an opportunity but with 79% time on ground his stats say he wasted his opportunity , 8 possessions at 38% efficiency

Sledge/ Slap : To the people who think a Queenslander who converts from Rugby League to AFL can,t prove himself , Williams who despite a few flaws with his game is quickly moving up from good to very good , again might not of punted the stat sheet but a disposal efficiency of 91% is elite

mjp
24-07-2011, 04:19 PM
To think that their grandfather and uncle played with us too. :(

As long as we keep James Mulligan around for another 5 years then, just in case...after all, we need this policy to be consistent!;)

Dry Rot
25-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Sledge/ Slap : To the people who think a Queenslander who converts from Rugby League to AFL can,t prove himself , Williams who despite a few flaws with his game is quickly moving up from good to very good , again might not of punted the stat sheet but a disposal efficiency of 91% is elite

Really surprised by Williams yesterday. Looked very assured under heavy red and white bombardment, at times Lake like taking a great contested mark not far from goal.

immortalmike
25-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Slap: Barry, for being Barry.

Slap: Crossy, for the courage you show, week in week out.

Sledge: Midfield as a whole was very poor, what happened to the team that was always a front runner in winning the contested ball.

Sledge: Dale Morris your 150th game may well have been his worst, Goodes absolutely gave him a pantsing.

Sledge: Easton Wood, loved his attack on the footy (and most of his game) but his tackles never seem to stick, cost us numerous times.

Remi Moses
25-07-2011, 03:41 AM
Really surprised by Williams yesterday. Looked very assured under heavy red and white bombardment, at times Lake like taking a great contested mark not far from goal.

Thought he was alright under heavy assault.
He needs to improve his body work on his opponent to become an accomplished backman.
His kicking and decision making has improved.
The midfield has to ensure the defense is a team one,their lack of a work ethic is murdering us.

Sockeye Salmon
25-07-2011, 10:33 AM
As long as we keep James Mulligan around for another 5 years then, just in case...after all, we need this policy to be consistent!;)

You have to get to 100 games, 5 years certainly won't be long enough for James.

Curly5
25-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Roos really needs to give calling Swans games a spell. At least we had BJ to balance it in Canberra earlier this year (he calling Dogs games not ideal either obviously)

There was one bit of play where Reid wasn't paid a mark and Roos thought it worthwhile to complain about him being held...give it up Paul

Roos' whining voice was really annoying. At least BJ doesn't whinge but cops it sweet when we go down (admittedly he's had to get used to it this year). Matthew Lloyd sounds the same when he does Essendon games, seemingly every week. These recently added commentators don't seem to realise they are not there to barrack, and should do a bit of homework on the "other" team.

Twodogs
25-07-2011, 12:53 PM

You'd be better off sledging the AFL for changing the F/S eligiblity rule from 50 games and a 3rd round pick to 100 games and the farcical nomination pick. Geelong feasted on the rule and just as our turn comes around we get ripped off!

Sockeye Salmon
25-07-2011, 01:25 PM
You'd be better off sledging the AFL for changing the F/S eligiblity rule from 50 games and a 3rd round pick to 100 games and the farcical nomination pick. Geelong feasted on the rule and just as our turn comes around we get ripped off!

Jonathon Brown's father played just 51 games with Fitzroy.

The Underdog
25-07-2011, 01:32 PM

So was it fixing an existing rule which was unfair and making it a more balanced thing which happened to coincide with us having some upcoming father sons or an anti-Bulldogs conspiracy on behalf of the AFL?

Twodogs
25-07-2011, 02:15 PM
So was it fixing an existing rule which was unfair and making it a more balanced thing which happened to coincide with us having some upcoming father sons or an anti-Bulldogs conspiracy on behalf of the AFL?

The other clubs started whingeing over a percieved advantage Geelong got with the Abletts and Scarlett.

The Underdog
25-07-2011, 02:36 PM
The other clubs started whingeing over a percieved advantage Geelong got with the Abletts and Scarlett.

Which I think the AFL fixed with the current rule. It just happened to be relatively bad timing for us. Personally I think the current rule is pretty fair and certainly an improvement over the old one. And anyway, we could have picked Sam Reid at 2 opportunities if we had of wanted to through the natural process so on our own heads be it.