PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coaches?

GVGjr
23-07-2011, 07:12 PM
If there was a spill of assistants coaches at the end of the season who from other clubs, state leagues, TAC and even footy commentators would you like to see the club try and attract?

Who are the standouts?

For the sake of the argument, lets assume Eade is still at the helm but we need to find a stronger support team of 3 to work with him. Ideally one of the assistant coaches needs to be capable of stepping up to the senior role in a couple of seasons?

(By the way, this is not a knee jerk thread in response to today's loss so lets not get caught up with that)

ledge
23-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Its hard to say because we the public arent in the box to see the coaches and what they say and who are the cluey ones.

azabob
23-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Could Gerard Fitzgerald from North Ballarat be an option?
Has had great success at VFL level. Unsure why he has not been given the opportunity and or had a go at AFL coaching circles.

DOG GOD
23-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I think Williams has certainly run his race. Our mids are as poor as any in the comp for accountability.

Hotdog60
23-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Wayne Carey
Robert Harvey
Stephen Silvagni

Just thoughts, although Carey would have to have no contact with players wives in his contract.

Mantis
23-07-2011, 07:39 PM
How much can we spend?

Pretty sure it's an important consideration at a club like ours.

GVGjr
23-07-2011, 07:44 PM
How much can we spend?

Pretty sure it's an important consideration at a club like ours.

Lets see who we rate and work out that from there. I'm more or less just interested in identifying the standouts.

A few that I would find interesting candidates are:

Alan Richardson
Nathan Bassett
Mark Neeld
Wayne Schwass
Matthew Lloyd

We may not be able to afford some of them but it's a starting point.

ledge
23-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Would Johnno be any good as an assistant coach or is it too early?

GVGjr
23-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Would Johnno be any good as an assistant coach or is it too early?

Too early I would have thought

Remi Moses
23-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Need to freshen up the box.
Heard good stuff about Bassett

Go_Dogs
23-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Need to freshen up the box.
Heard good stuff about Bassett

From what I can gather, Bassett already has a few offers on the table for roles at clubs outside of SA. I'd be very interested.

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Lets see who we rate and work out that from there. I'm more or less just interested in identifying the standouts.

A few that I would find interesting candidates are:

Alan Richardson
Nathan Bassett
Mark Neeld
Wayne Schwass
Matthew Lloyd

We may not be able to afford some of them but it's a starting point.

Agree with Richardson, seems to be quite a tactical thinker. Probably would like to attract someone from Geelong or Collingwood to tap into their IP. They wouldn't come cheap or be happy to be second fiddle for long, so maybe as a senior assistant with match-day duties or something like that, but how that works out for Rocket is a whole other question.

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 08:46 PM
What about someone like Gary Ayres?

Rocco Jones
23-07-2011, 10:16 PM
What about someone like Gary Ayres?

He has been out of the AFL system for a long time and it has changed a lot. I agree with Malthouse's call about if you're out for a bit, you're pretty much gone now.

GVGjr
23-07-2011, 10:30 PM
He has been out of the AFL system for a long time and it has changed a lot. I agree with Malthouse's call about if you're out for a bit, you're pretty much gone now.

As an Assistant coach though? I think that makes sense for the likes of Leigh Matthews going for a senior coaching role but I don't think it would necessarily apply to someone like Ayers for an assistant role

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 10:51 PM
GvGjr said, as an assistant coach i think he could do a fine job.

Bulldog Revolution
23-07-2011, 11:04 PM
I like the idea of three of the crop named,

Neeld
Silvagni
Bassett

But I'd also consider
Sanderson
Laidley

Mantis
24-07-2011, 12:43 AM

Neeld
Silvagni
Bassett

But I'd also consider
Sanderson
Laidley

Not sure on Bassett, but I would think that both Neeld & Silvagni would have to take pretty massive pay cuts if we were to entice them over... If we would offer what we currently do for our assistants.

I guess at some point we just have to bite the bullet if we are to employ people who we perceive will do a better job than the staff we currently have.

GVGjr
24-07-2011, 01:46 AM

Neeld
Silvagni
Bassett

But I'd also consider
Sanderson
Laidley

Silvagni has gone into another direction with his football career and I don't think he would get back into coaching.

GVGjr
24-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Not sure on Bassett, but I would think that both Neeld & Silvagni would have to take pretty massive pay cuts if we were to entice them over... If we would offer what we currently do for our assistants.

I guess at some point we just have to bite the bullet if we are to employ people who we perceive will do a better job than the staff we currently have.

We don't necessarily want career assistant coaches so I don't think the money is the biggest inhibitor especially if you are offering good and ambitious candidates the best chance to become a senior coach.

the banker
24-07-2011, 08:48 AM
If Matthew Lloyd was interested in coaching, he drips winning culture. A very focussed person. Don't know if he would see the Dogs as a fit though, and we would need $$$$.

Do think this is a very legit focus for the club.

chef
24-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Leon Cameron seems to have left a huge hole.

I guess Mitch Hahn would be one that they'll looks at at the end of the year.

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 09:15 AM
I'd through the kitchen sink at McCartney one of the best midfield teachers in the league

G-Mo77
24-07-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure on who to replace the assistants we currently have but I think it's time to turn them over. Williams and Dean have been here a while could be time to replace both.

GVGjr
24-07-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure on who to replace the assistants we currently have but I think it's time to turn them over. Williams and Dean have been here a while could be time to replace both.

I'm not knocking our guys but more or less I'd like to find out who would be some of the highly regarded coaches that we could add as our assistants.

Doc26
24-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Dollars will be a factor for us, particularly to lure the name brands. If we had $$:

Scott Burns, although heard a couple of days back that he's agreed to stick around at West Coast.
Maybe Neil Craig, might bring Dangerfield with him.

G-Mo77
24-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm not knocking our guys but more or less I'd like to find out who would be some of the highly regarded coaches that we could add as our assistants.

Yeah I know mate. I have very little knowledge outside of the WB's umbrella, only what I read in the paper or hear about in here so that's all I could contribute. :)

ledge
24-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Wouldnt touch Lloyd, heard a story from a freind of mine who met him, was hilarious and my friend was in awe of his stupidity, not the sharpest tool in the shed lets say.

ledge
24-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Assistants Malthouse and McCartney :)

Maddog37
24-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Scott West worth a thought yet?

azabob
24-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Is he ready to come back himself ?

Sockeye Salmon
24-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Silvagni has gone into another direction with his football career and I don't think he would get back into coaching.

Silvagni took a promising young defender called Brian Harris and tried to turn him into a spud. Lake became a gun under Peter Dean.

Pass on Silvagni.

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I would like Todd Curley to come back to the fold in a Midfield/ Development role , currently an Assistant Coach at Fremantle ,he started there as a Tactician/ Opposition Scout then moved to Midfield Coach then replaced Dean Wallis as Forward Coach, it would be good to see him back in a more Senior role

( Todd played 115 games for us between 1996 - 2001 )

ledge
24-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I would like Todd Curley to come back to the fold in a Midfield/ Development role , currently an Assistant Coach at Fremantle ,he started there as a Tactician/ Opposition Scout then moved to Midfield Coach then replaced Dean Wallis as Forward Coach, it would be good to see him back in a more Senior role

( Todd played 115 games for us between 1996 - 2001 )

But does he have peripheral vision?:D

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 04:01 PM
But does he have peripheral vision?:D

He got shafted thats for sure , its great to see him still contributing to the game and it would be good to have him back

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4151

Bulldog Revolution
24-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I am sure Silvagni is not available, given his GWS role, but his defensive coaching credentials in my eyes cannot be questioned. He did a brilliant job with the saints, and took pretty much all their defenders to the next level as well as turning reject Dawson into a handy player.

Someone like Scott Burns would be ideal for our midfield, or Goodwin but neither seen poachable

I've never rated Alan Richardson and have always found his high profile surprising

Who are considered some of the best TAC U18 coaches?

Bulldog Revolution
25-07-2011, 01:22 PM
If Leigh Tudor hadn't just moved to Sydney to work with mate Longmire he would have been one I would have targetted

Has coached TAC U18, VFL for Geelong and been an assistant at Cats, Saints and Swans - that's a good resume to the untrained eye

Mofra
25-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Alan Richardson
Nathan Bassett
Mark Neeld
Wayne Schwass
Matthew Lloyd
Do not want. He'd lose a game of chess against a housebrick.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:33 PM
With Neil Craig resigning there may be a clear out. Anyone at the Crows we would like?

Ben Hart
Mark Bickley - may get head coach role.
Matthew Clarke
Scott Camporeale

GVGjr
25-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Do not want. He'd lose a game of chess against a housebrick.

My view is that one of the assistant coaches needs to be the nasty bugger who flogs them on the training track. Lloyd might be the sort of bloke who could do that.

GVGjr
25-07-2011, 07:36 PM
With Neil Craig resigning there may be a clear out. Anyone at the Crows we would like?

Ben Hart
Matthew Clarke
Scott Camporeale

All seem to be real Adelaide guys but I don't know much about their coaching abilities.
Checked today with one of my contacts over in SA and he sings the praises of Nathan Bassett and he wouldn't be surprised if gets added to the Crows coaching ranks next year.
If it was pitched right, he might consider a Victorian team.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 08:09 PM
One name that I think needs to be elevated into the AFL is Peter German.
This guy has one of the best Football heads in the game and would slot in well as an assistant before stepping into a senior spot. I can see this guy being an AFL coach within the next 5yrs.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2011, 10:20 PM

Ben Hart
Matthew Clarke
Scott Camporeale

Please, please, please - none of the above! :D

All seem to be real Adelaide guys but I don't know much about their coaching abilities.
Checked today with one of my contacts over in SA and he sings the praises of Nathan Bassett and he wouldn't be surprised if gets added to the Crows coaching ranks next year.
If it was pitched right, he might consider a Victorian team.

I'm hopeful we're making some inquiries. He seems to have a very astute tactical mind, is a recent player and possibly should (for career reasons) spend some time outside of Adelaide.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 02:02 AM
One name that I think needs to be elevated into the AFL is Peter German.
This guy has one of the best Football heads in the game and would slot in well as an assistant before stepping into a senior spot. I can see this guy being an AFL coach within the next 5yrs.

Peter German has already coached at AFL level , he was an Assistant Coach at Fremantle from 2006 to 2008

As I said before I,d be more than happy to have Todd Curley back at the Club, having filled the roles of Tactician/ Opposition Scout , Midfield Coach and Forward Coach at Fremantle I sure he would like to have a more senior role in the football department , it would be good to have him back

neddie
26-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree German has the experience and success at WILLY,knows most of the players.

BulldogBelle
26-07-2011, 01:14 PM
We need someone who comes from a successful and winning culture - someone who has won flags as a player or coach (assistant)

Rocket was the right step forward, but we need personal at the club who will be able to communicate what it takes to compete at the highest level, and what it takes to win a GF also.

The Coon Dog
26-07-2011, 03:50 PM
We need someone who comes from a successful and winning culture - someone who has won flags as a player or coach (assistant)

Such as:

Peter Dean - Premiership player @ Carlton
Brett Montgomery - Premiership player @ Port Adelaide
Paul Williams - Premiership player @ Sydney

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-07-2011, 06:02 PM

There is big wraps on Scott West's football acumen. It would be good to get one of our own
back. I would also think Rocket needs stronger support at the top in place of the likes of Fantasia and Dalrymple. Chris Bond had the greatest respect from a number of the senior players at the Western Bulldogs and I would be making strong overtures to bring him back from the Dockers, to take up this responsibility. Our recruitment leaves a lot to be desired and this is a critical area that requires an overhaul.