PDA

View Full Version : Time to Review the List - # 11 - 20

Lally Bamblett
28-08-2007, 09:18 PM
#11 - Peter Street - rucked exceptionally well at times and when he does win the tap, 90% of the time it is to our advantage. As others have pointed out in other posts, his opponents run off him to easily and he's a liability with the ball. Tries his heart out, but we need to start and look elsewhere.

# 12 - Tom Williams - looks the goods and is not afraid to take the opposition on even though he's only played a dozen or so games. Lets hope he doesn't have any recurring injuries as this guy has 200 game player written all over him. I'd continue to develop him as our long term CHB. Still a little immature to go to the opposition's best or second forward against really smart opponents, but with another season under his belt this will change.

# 13 - Daniel Giansiracusa - His footy has stagnated this year and his skills have let him down badly on occasions, when most people would think he is one of our more skillful players. Looks like the coaching staff still don't know whether he is a midfielder or small forward. Cops it for being a bit soft, but people should pay a little more attention around stoppages with his blocking and bullocking work. People say he's trade bait, but I don't think he's going anywhere.

# 14 - Luke Darcy - it's a shame, but the game passed him by and after his injuries he simply couldn't jump anymore. Has never had the same effect on a game since they changed the rule about grabbing the ball out of the ruck contest.

# 15 - Sam Power - looks like he may have saved his bacon by becoming a run with player over the past few weeks. Another bloke with whom it looks like the coaching staff don't know what to do, and as a result, I think he's always lacked a bit of confidence in his own ability which has shown out by the lack of precision his disposal has had at times. I'd persist with him as the stopper/tagger.

# 16 - Ryan Griffen - a big loss to the side. All things being equal, he's another one who could slot into the midfield next year if he recovers well enough. One of the few blokes on the list who will back himself in a tight situation.

# 17 - Adam Cooney - has done well on the back of virtually no preseason. Think he has just run out of puff at times because of this. Has all the talent in the world, but needs to get the inconsistency out of his game and become a hard running 25 possession midfielder.

# 18 - Cameron Faulkner - will be very lucky to hang on and is unlikely to be a factor in any trade talks at 23 with less than 20 games. Has never really looked like making the grade.

# 19 - Shaun Higgins - one of the real positives of the year. Has class written all over him and backs himself all the time. Think it's time for him to graduate into the midfield and he could become a damaging midfielder with his silky skills.

# 20 - Travis Baird - a real disappointment who has not come on after showing a bit of promise last year. Could end up delisted or on the rookie list. If he is retained, I'd like to see him developed as a back flanker in the way Todd Curley was about 10 years ago after he'd been given a go up forward.

Twodogs
28-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Fantastic analysis Lally-and a geat user name.

Welcome aboard.

Sockeye Salmon
28-08-2007, 11:00 PM
#11 - Peter Street - rucked exceptionally well at times and when he does win the tap, 90% of the time it is to our advantage.

Most of your post is pretty good, but I'm sorry, your first line is just bollocks. Street's taps do not go to our advantage 90% of the time. I doubt they go to our advantage 9% of the time.

hargs37
28-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Not entirely streets fault. As was seen on sundy, they obviously have a problem in the stoppages that seriously needs to be rectified to move forward next year. No west, cross and griff for a few games showed that up as a glaring deficency.

bornadog
28-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Power - I don't believe he has been any good as a run with player. Against Adelaide he did hold Goodwin to 4 posessions in the first half but Goodwin got on top in the second half. Against the Hawks, Hodge really fixed him up. I am afraid Power has been a real disapointment, probably because we all expected him to be some thing like his brother. I say trade him, he is never going to be in the best 22.

bornadog
28-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Most of your post is pretty good, but I'm sorry, your first line is just bollocks. Street's taps do not go to our advantage 90% of the time. I doubt they go to our advantage 9% of the time.

I know you don't like Street, but the fact is when he is rucking, we win the clearances. I agree he is useless around the grouind.

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 12:19 AM
One of looking at this is with each bracket, which players would get a get a gig with a top 4 team? (Don't get hung up over the actual teams and needs)

From this lot, I'd say (on potential) Griffen, Cooney & Higgins.

Twodogs
29-08-2007, 12:36 AM
I know you don't like Street, but the fact is when he is rucking, we win the clearances. I agree he is useless around the grouind.

I thought we did better at the clearances on sunday when Skip rucked.

westdog54
29-08-2007, 07:40 AM
#11 - Peter Street - rucked exceptionally well at times and when he does win the tap, 90% of the time it is to our advantage. As others have pointed out in other posts, his opponents run off him to easily and he's a liability with the ball. Tries his heart out, but we need to start and look elsewhere.

# 12 - Tom Williams - looks the goods and is not afraid to take the opposition on even though he's only played a dozen or so games. Lets hope he doesn't have any recurring injuries as this guy has 200 game player written all over him. I'd continue to develop him as our long term CHB. Still a little immature to go to the opposition's best or second forward against really smart opponents, but with another season under his belt this will change.

# 13 - Daniel Giansiracusa - His footy has stagnated this year and his skills have let him down badly on occasions, when most people would think he is one of our more skillful players. Looks like the coaching staff still don't know whether he is a midfielder or small forward. Cops it for being a bit soft, but people should pay a little more attention around stoppages with his blocking and bullocking work. People say he's trade bait, but I don't think he's going anywhere.

# 14 - Luke Darcy - it's a shame, but the game passed him by and after his injuries he simply couldn't jump anymore. Has never had the same effect on a game since they changed the rule about grabbing the ball out of the ruck contest.

# 15 - Sam Power - looks like he may have saved his bacon by becoming a run with player over the past few weeks. Another bloke with whom it looks like the coaching staff don't know what to do, and as a result, I think he's always lacked a bit of confidence in his own ability which has shown out by the lack of precision his disposal has had at times. I'd persist with him as the stopper/tagger.

# 16 - Ryan Griffen - a big loss to the side. All things being equal, he's another one who could slot into the midfield next year if he recovers well enough. One of the few blokes on the list who will back himself in a tight situation.

# 17 - Adam Cooney - has done well on the back of virtually no preseason. Think he has just run out of puff at times because of this. Has all the talent in the world, but needs to get the inconsistency out of his game and become a hard running 25 possession midfielder.

# 18 - Cameron Faulkner - will be very lucky to hang on and is unlikely to be a factor in any trade talks at 23 with less than 20 games. Has never really looked like making the grade.

# 19 - Shaun Higgins - one of the real positives of the year. Has class written all over him and backs himself all the time. Think it's time for him to graduate into the midfield and he could become a damaging midfielder with his silky skills.

# 20 - Travis Baird - a real disappointment who has not come on after showing a bit of promise last year. Could end up delisted or on the rookie list. If he is retained, I'd like to see him developed as a back flanker in the way Todd Curley was about 10 years ago after he'd been given a go up forward.

Great Work Lally.

I have to pay credit to Giansiracusa over the last few weeks, I think his work as a small, leading forward has been fantastic, he's been very safe overhead, and his goalkicking has improved out of sight.

Higgins needs a lot of work on his defensive game before he can become a truly damaging midfielder.

Even though Power was beaten last week I think he's shown good signs as a tagger, I wouldn't be in a massive hurry to trade him.

The next step for Cooney is learning to break the tag. Do this, and he'll be damn near unstoppable.

Peter Street... as many on here would know (cue Ernie) I'm a fan of Street's, but if he's to stay on our list beyond next year he must improve his fitness and around the ground work, because he gets smashed in the man on man stuff. I also think he should spend a lot of his preseason on contested marking, not just because of that effort against Adelaide, but moreso because despte his obvious lack of skills around the ground, he's actually a very reliable set shot for goal. I know this won't save his bacon but as I said, he has a lot of work to do to stay on the list.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2007, 10:35 AM
I would be in a huge hurry to trade Sam if we can get the right offer. Whilst he's shown bits and pieces later in the season, it's too little too late for mine. Next year he'll struggle to maintain a spot - we have 22 guys who are ahead of him, probably by next year 20 'smalls' who can take a spot ahead of him. Whilst he does offer a bit as a depth player, I don't think he's required, and if we can get something for him, now is our chance.

Street's ruckwork has been given too much praise by a few this year for mine. He had a purple patch for about 3 weeks where we led the AFL in H/O to advantage, besides that period, he's been pretty ordinary. His around the ground work is also pretty ordinary, and his inability to stick a mark is at times just embarrassing. If we had more options, he'd almost be leaving too. Chris Bond is a big fan of him though, from what I've heard.

LostDoggy
29-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I know you don't like Street, but the fact is when he is rucking, we win the clearances.
I haven't seen stats that back this up yet.

Raw Toast
29-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Not a fan of Street's either - if he hasn't learnt to put the ball in the right spots by now I just can't see him ever learning it - and he needs to be a v good at something because around the ground he's a liability.

I think we should keep Power, though if he wants to go or another club is keen than I'm happy for a trade. Can't really see any other clubs willing to pay much for him, and I think he's been fairly promising in a run-with role. Did well on Harvey and Green (as well as bit's of Johnstone), and pretty well on Goodwin. Got smashed by Hodge after being on top in the first quarter, and does still tend to drop his head a bit. Not convinced anymore that he is going to make it, but we need a run-with player and I'm happy to give him another year to make it.

aker39
29-08-2007, 11:53 AM

Sam did ok in 2 games and got smashed on Sunday. It's time to go.

Higgins got lazy and was not working anywhere near hard enough although he's probably just following in some senior players footsteps,

GVGjr
29-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Sam did ok in 2 games and got smashed on Sunday. It's time to go.

Higgins got lazy and was not working anywhere near hard enough although he's probably just following in some senior players footsteps,

I'm happy to keep Power on the list because he will add depth and with the experienced group we are losing I think it's a good thing to have players like him and Wight around.

I agree with Higgins though. For all his class he works hard just one way and it's something that he and the club need to address.

Mantis
30-08-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm happy to keep Power on the list because he will add depth and with the experienced group we are losing I think it's a good thing to have players like him and Wight around.

But do we need players on our list that clearly let us down under pressure and that seem to be making no real progress or improvement to there game.

southerncross
30-08-2007, 09:34 AM
But do we need players on our list that clearly let us down under pressure and that seem to be making no real progress or improvement to there game.

How many players do you actually want delisted this year? By the sounds of things it would be 12 plus.
It's too easy to magnify any errors players have and I think you are undervaluing the need to have some depth in experience outside of the best 22.

Mantis
30-08-2007, 09:43 AM
How many players do you actually want delisted this year? By the sounds of things it would be 12 plus.
It's too easy to magnify any errors players have and I think you are undervaluing the need to have some depth in experience outside of the best 22.

I probably only want to delist 3 or 4 players (+ 3 retiree's), but would like to see us trade away about the same, preferably for players.

I do not deny the fact we need depth, not having any in the midfield has killed us this year. But have depth players like Faulkner or Robbins added value to the team this year? It's ok to have depth players that can come in and fill a role on a consistent basis, but with Power you don't really know what you will get.