PDA

View Full Version : The who do we want and what will it take thread

Pages : [1] 2

1eyedog
25-07-2011, 03:19 PM
There has been a number of discussions throughout other threads about who we may be interested in trading for. There is a lot to discuss with two potential first rounders on the table as well as some players either wanting to be moved on or being forced to move on in the hope that a fresh start will help them reach their potential. Given this, I thought I would centralise the discussion in this thread so it can be more of a focus.

So, who or what types do we want (need) and what will it take to get the deal across the line?

I'll go first with an obvious one and one that has drummed up a bit of debate.

Dangerfield
A first rounder and Josh Hill.

I really rate him but is this overs?

It looks like we may also need a key back.

Mitch Brown.
If he doesn't go to GWS I think we should look at him. He's 195cm, mobile, has a big body, has just turned 23 and is out of contract.

I would look at a three way trade

Lake to Sydney, Trent Dennis Lane (from Subi and wants to go home) and a pick to W.C and Mitch Brown to the Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I asked in another thread about Kurt Tippett.

On potential alone he should be untradeable but his stocks are pretty low after a horrendous season, so I'm thinking a mid first-rounder MAY get it done. Crows probably won't come to the table though after losing Walker to GWS.

Does Minnow have trade currency? SA boy and all that. First rounder and Minnow.

Greystache
25-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I asked in another thread about Kurt Tippett.

On potential alone he should be untradeable but his stocks are pretty low after a horrendous season, so I'm thinking a mid first-rounder MAY get it done. Crows probably won't come to the table though after losing Walker to GWS.

Does Minnow have trade currency? SA boy and all that. First rounder and Minnow.

Tippet is reportedly on $600k after re-signing last year, that alone is overs enough.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 04:40 PM
If we don't make the 8 there is no way I would trade out our first pick even if it is a compromised draft. Also adding players like Hill doesn't make the trade more attractive to the opposition.
There might be good players out there but they are going to cost too much and we got burnt last year.

Mofra
25-07-2011, 04:42 PM
If we don't make the 8 there is no way I would trade out our first pick. Also adding players like Hill doesn't make the trade more attractive to the opposition.
Yup - despite the groupthink on BF, 2 fringe players do not equal 1 gun - our first rounder will be late this year too due to the GWS concessions

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Tippet is reportedly on $600k after re-signing last year, that alone is overs enough.

Youch. Also now that there's going to be a new coach they'll probably think they can turn him around.. Craig would have been more likely to try a trade.

What are we paying Lake + Minnow though? Tippett's 24, what would we have been happy to pay Cloke to get him in hindsight? I don't know, dominant KPFs are just gold.

This is all dream-land stuff of course; the Tippetts of this world are pretty hard to pry away from their clubs. His shithouse form this year may just be the window we need though... (and an extra first-round pick plus a ready-made player may be carrot enough for a rebuilding club?)

1eyedog
25-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Youch. Also now that there's going to be a new coach they'll probably think they can turn him around.. Craig would have been more likely to try a trade.

What are we paying Lake + Minnow though? Tippett's 24, what would we have been happy to pay Cloke to get him in hindsight? I don't know, dominant KPFs are just gold.

This is all dream-land stuff of course; the Tippetts of this world are pretty hard to pry away from their clubs. His shithouse form this year may just be the window we need though... (and an extra first-round pick plus a ready-made player may be carrot enough for a rebuilding club?)

As negotiated mid-2009 I thought it was about $400K P.A. and a 3 year deal.

Not sure about Will.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Not sure about Will.

I'm sure Lake's on 4 years. The $ number sounds right.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Mitch Brown is an interesting one.

Hasn't played too much this season has he? To be fair, he's struggled a little since he did his knee a few years ago. By memory, we showed interest a couple of years ago but he was still very much a required player.

It'd be interesting to see if WC thought he was expendable. He'd be exactly the type of player we should hunt. A key back who can push forward on occasion.

Dangerfield would be nice, but unrealistic, even if the reports are true re; his ties with Neil Craig.

LongWait
25-07-2011, 05:20 PM
This year's first rounder plus Hill for Dangerfield would be a steal for us. Effectively a late first rounder or early second round pick in a normal year - and this is supposedly a shallow draft coming up. Do the deal.

If Ward goes bank the compensation picks to use in the 2012 "super draft."

Sockeye Salmon
25-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Mitch Brown is an interesting one.

Hasn't played too much this season has he? To be fair, he's struggled a little since he did his knee a few years ago. By memory, we showed interest a couple of years ago but he was still very much a required player.

We went hard at him last time he was out of contract and at one stage thought we had him.

West Coast have had a few other defenders come on so he might be considered expendable if he wanted out (and cheap if the specter of GWS is looming).

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 05:36 PM
We went hard at him last time he was out of contract and at one stage thought we had him.

West Coast have had a few other defenders come on so he might be considered expendable if he wanted out (and cheap if the specter of GWS is looming).

Okay, so Mitch comes in and plays CHB and we let Lakey go and find happiness where he thinks he can, freeing up $$$ to go after some nice juicy fish (especially if Ward cuts and runs and we have three first round picks to go fishing with?)

Pickenitup
25-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Pretty sure Mitch Brown signed recently with WCE so if we did trade for him he aint gonna be cheap.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Would rather develop our own players & not trade away for other players, if anything i would rather trade for more picks.

We aren't going to challenge for a premiership anytime soon, so we should look to build for the next tilt.

stefoid
25-07-2011, 06:16 PM
This year's first rounder plus Hill for Dangerfield would be a steal for us. Effectively a late first rounder or early second round pick in a normal year - and this is supposedly a shallow draft coming up. Do the deal.

If Ward goes bank the compensation picks to use in the 2012 "super draft."

If we remain in 12th spot (likely) we get pick 14.

I dont care if we trade it or draft it, but we need to target someone who can use the ball under pressure, and if they are quickish, thats a bonus.

chef
25-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I can't see us getting a gun, but I would be happy to do a Minson for Thursfield swap with Richmond.

If we do lose Ward I hope we bank the picks for until at least 2012 and use them wisely. If we are going to be bottom out we need to really bottom out and rebuild properly.

azabob
25-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Fairly sure Mitch Brown signed a new contract or contract extension a month or so ago.

1eyedog
25-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Would rather develop our own players & not trade away for other players, if anything i would rather trade for more picks.

We aren't going to challenge for a premiership anytime soon, so we should look to build for the next tilt.

What about for young players that may fill a role? Collingwood never bottomed out, Sydney doesn't seem to either. On paper, we can put a decent team on the park. This season just doesn't make sense.

I can't see us getting a gun, but I would be happy to do a Minson for Thursfield swap with Richmond.

If we do lose Ward I hope we bank the picks for until at least 2012 and use them wisely. If we are going to be bottom out we need to really bottom out and rebuild properly.

No thanks, what about Minson for Bate? He looked okay in patches on Sunday.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 10:25 PM
What about for young players that may fill a role? Collingwood never bottomed out, Sydney doesn't seem to either. On paper, we can put a decent team on the park. This season just doesn't make sense.

We overrate & have overrated some players for a long time now, we are going to have a lot of players now come to the end of their careers. We don't have the squad depth to compete for a premiership & i feel won't for a while, Dangerfield could possibly be an exception, given his age.

But, for me we need to do another rebuild & try to draft for a premiership. Our squad from say past our top 20, isn't good enough to compete with the big boys & trading in other players who could be 24+ years of age isn't the answer.

chef
26-07-2011, 07:58 AM
No thanks, what about Minson for Bate? He looked okay in patches on Sunday.

No thanks, he would just get in the way of developing Grant, Jones, Cordy, Roughead etc. We need to be looking at back man not forwards.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Well , if we are looking for defenders that are looking for a contract renewal at the end of 2011 we should look at Shannon Hurn, would be a great addition to the backline , I,m sure that at only 23 and with a lot of quality football in front of him his pay rise at West Coast will be decent

As far as a young bigger body in the forward line it would be hard to go past Bryce Retzlaff with Brisbane , apparently he is up for a contract renewal , 195cm 86kg , another good pre-season to put on a few kilos , after Barry pulls the pin ask him to mentor Bryce , Jones and the other forwards during the pre-season then Barry can pull up a deck chair somewhere tropical

stefoid
26-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Do we need any more tall players on the list as a priority?

In all probability Cooney is done, and Ward will be playing for GWS next year. Boyd and Cross arent gettng any younger, and Williamstown isnt exactly overflowing with midfielders ready to step up next year (thank goodness for Libba and Wallis).

Id say we need midfielders who can use the pill. Thankfully its usually a midfielder who satisfies the 'best available' motto, so in this case I think 'needs' and 'best available' match up.

1eyedog
26-07-2011, 01:05 PM
No thanks, he would just get in the way of developing Grant, Jones, Cordy, Roughead etc. We need to be looking at back man not forwards.

Fair enough. What about as a high lead up (on the wings) option like Murphyy was before he went back?

Drunken Bum
26-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Why is everyone wanting to get rid of Minson? surely with Roughy and Ayce not being ready yet and Hudson more than likely retiring at the end of the year he is going to be far more valuable to us than what we could get for him. Play him as first ruck and let Ayce and Roughy develop and then IF they go past Minson look at trading him then. Minson is a fair way in front of both of them as a first ruck now and there is no guarantee that they will ever pass him. Unless we bring in a mature ruckman i think it would be madness to trade him now.

Desipura
26-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Why is everyone wanting to get rid of Minson? surely with Roughy and Ayce not being ready yet and Hudson more than likely retiring at the end of the year he is going to be far more valuable to us than what we could get for him. Play him as first ruck and let Ayce and Roughy develop and then IF they go past Minson look at trading him then. Minson is a fair way in front of both of them as a first ruck now and there is no guarantee that they will ever pass him. Unless we bring in a mature ruckman i think it would be madness to trade him now.

Roughy will hopefully be able to play first ruck next season. We cant baby him next year, he would have been in the system long enough. Minson is not good enough to be a week in week out ruckman. At 26yo, he is just not as good as he should be and wont be getting any better.
You would get similar input from a 2nd ruckman who could play kpp, Trengrove springs to mind.

Daniel Talia is a young backman if we want insurance down there, not sure on his contract status

soupman
26-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Roughy will hopefully be able to play first ruck next season. We cant baby him next year, he would have been in the system long enough. Minson is not good enough to be a week in week out ruckman. At 26yo, he is just not as good as he should be and wont be getting any better.
You would get similar input from a 2nd ruckman who could play kpp, Trengrove springs to mind.

Daniel Talia is a young backman if we want insurance down there, not sure on his contract status

As promising as Roughead is I don't think this is realistic.

This year he's struggled at VFL level, rarely making the bests and his body still doesn't seem to be 100%. I also don't think we can rely on having Cordy as our first backup.

I think similarily to Drunken Bum, in that we can't afford to lose Minson and Hudson unless we get another AFL ready ruckman in to offer an alternative and some protection for Roughead and Cordy.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Well , if we are looking for defenders that are looking for a contract renewal at the end of 2011 we should look at Shannon Hurn, would be a great addition to the backline , I,m sure that at only 23 and with a lot of quality football in front of him his pay rise at West Coast will be decent.

We can all name good player we like at other clubs. However if they are already well respected/getting a game at their club what chance do we have of getting them given we are struggling with the cap.

1eyedog
26-07-2011, 01:46 PM

We were looking at trading him last year but i guess we were more optimistic about Roughhead than we are now.

Drunken Bum
26-07-2011, 01:58 PM
We were looking at trading him last year but i guess we were more optimistic about Roughhead than we are now.

I thought it was insanity to trade him last year as well, imagine if Hudson went down at the start of the year with a knee. Roughy and Ayce simply aren't ready to be the number one ruckmen.

Even if we plan to use a Roughy/Ayce combination next year(which i don't think would be wise) it would be madness to not have a backup ruckman.

Minsons reputation has been hurt due to Hudson not being able to play anywhere else and being played out of position, he deserves a chance to show what he can do when played in his proper position before throwing a couple of unproven unready rucks in because they are potentially going to be better in 3-4yrs time

Mofra
26-07-2011, 03:39 PM
At Minson's age, Hudson was starting his AFL career - he's just hitting his prime and will be needed next year.
Minson is (only) a no 1 ruckman, whilst Cordy & Roughy can play the no 2 role. I'd be more confident of Minson playing 22 games next year than either of Roughead or Cordy.

Sedat
26-07-2011, 03:47 PM
At Minson's age, Hudson was starting his AFL career - he's just hitting his prime and will be needed next year.
Minson is (only) a no 1 ruckman, whilst Cordy & Roughy can play the no 2 role. I'd be more confident of Minson playing 22 games next year than either of Roughead or Cordy.
This. Minno's value to us far exceeds his value on the open market. He will thrive in the no.1 ruck role next year, similar to how Jamar took the next step last year. Will and Roughy to tag team, with both providing a marking option up forward when needed.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 04:44 PM
So everyone is assuming that the club will make Hudson retire?

Sedat
26-07-2011, 05:06 PM
So everyone is assuming that the club will make Hudson retire?
Not sure if the club will but I am assuming they do. The sub rule has come at the worst possible time for workhorse ruckmen like Huddo who don't have other strings to their bow. He has been sensational for us but I fear that father time has caught up with him in 2011. None of that is to diminish the fact that the Bulldogs went from a bottom 2 clearance and contested possession winning team to top 2 the minute that Huddo came to the club, and his 2nd and 3rd efforts in at the stoppages was a massive factor in this.

chef
26-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Fair enough. What about as a high lead up (on the wings) option like Murphyy was before he went back?

Does he have the foot skills, agility and creativity do play this role

Desipura
26-07-2011, 05:51 PM
We can all name good player we like at other clubs. However if they are already well respected/getting a game at their club what chance do we have of getting them given we are struggling with the cap.
I recall you bringing this up a few seasons back during the silly season. Surely we can all speculate, its not as if we are saying we should make a play for Judd.

boydogs
26-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Lake to Sydney, Trent Dennis Lane (from Subi and wants to go home) and a pick to W.C and Mitch Brown to the Bulldogs.

Has Lake really slipped that far? Our own thinking on Tippett seems to contradict suggestions that we trade Lake after one bad year

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I recall you bringing this up a few seasons back during the silly season. Surely we can all speculate, its not as if we are saying we should make a play for Judd.
Ok we are gonna get Hurn and/or Dangerfield for a round 1 and hill, meanwhile magically freeing up the salary cap and completely forget we were dudded in trades last year. There is speculation then there is stuff thats a million to 1.

bornadog
26-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I prefer we steer clear of trading for other players next season and just draft kids. If we need to offload and someone can give us a decent pick, then take the pick and pickup another kid.

Mantis
26-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I prefer we steer clear of trading for other players next season and just draft kids. If we need to offload and someone can give us a decent pick, then take the pick and pickup another kid.

I have heard that this draft is extremely shallow so unless we get our hands on some top 30 picks I can't see us getting much value from our late picks.

bornadog
26-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I have heard that this draft is extremely shallow so unless we get our hands on some top 30 picks I can't see us getting much value from our late picks.

Who is worth a top 30 pick?

Mantis
26-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Who is worth a top 30 pick?

James Fantasia thinks Josh Hill is.... so that means everyone on our list is. :D

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Ok we are gonna get Hurn and/or Dangerfield for a round 1 and hill, meanwhile magically freeing up the salary cap and completely forget we were dudded in trades last year. There is speculation then there is stuff thats a million to 1.

How much room in the salary cap will we have, Barry Hall ( retired ) , Hill ( not resigned * ) , Addison ( not resigned * )

That should be enough to bring in Shannon Hurn and Bryce Retzlaff , quality defender and tall strong key position prospect ,

* Hypothetical

bornadog
26-07-2011, 06:56 PM
James Fantasia thinks Josh Hill is.... so that means everyone on our list is. :D

haha, good one :p

azabob
26-07-2011, 06:59 PM
How much room in the salary cap will we have, Barry Hall ( retired ) , Hill ( not resigned * ) , Addison ( not resigned * )

That should be enough to bring in Shannon Hurn and Bryce Retzlaff , quality defender and tall strong key position prospect ,

* Hypothetical

There is no way west coast will let Shannon Hurn go. He will nearly win their B&F.

If they do let him go it will cost us a bucket load of cash and highly talented players and draft picks.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Has Lake really slipped that far? Our own thinking on Tippett seems to contradict suggestions that we trade Lake after one bad year

I'm the one who has pushed the Tippett wheelbarrow so I'll try to answer this one -- one is a injured 30-something year old that hasn't played all year, another is an out-of-form/developing 24-year old KPF prospect (that is probably untradeable, and would be other than the fact that he has played so badly this year that both player and team may look for a chance for a fresh start at the right price).

My statement makes it sound like my opinion is cut and dry, but of course it isn't, just pointing out the distinction. I reserve the right to be completely inconsistent from player to player! :)

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 07:30 PM

I hear that very often as well in previous seasons. You may be right but I bet there are still gems that go 30+.

1eyedog
26-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Does he have the foot skills, agility and creativity do play this role

He has a long raking left foot. As for his field passing and hitting up targets I'm really not sure. I feel that he has been played too deep at Melbourne for a long time. I'm not sure how tall he is (about 189-190cm?) and he has a hard body as well as a bit of zip for a heavy type, so I think he has the potential to win contests. One of his problems is his second and third efforts.

As for agility well I think there is upside there considering the opposition would need to play a tallish, strong-bodied, fairly quick type on him. The problem is the opposition could play a rebounding defender on him to exploit his second efforts. I'm not sure what his tank is like but he has been in the system long enough you would think.

Creative? No not really, he swings around and hammers it as close to goal as possible.

No I still think he will recover both physically and mentally but do we want Lake for another two years before his body really rebels or do we want a Brown-type who has 7-8 years of AFL football in front of him. The question is where are we at as a challenger for a top 4 position over the next 2 years?

immortalmike
26-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm the one who has pushed the Tippett wheelbarrow so I'll try to answer this one -- one is a injured 30-something year old that hasn't played all year, another is an out-of-form/developing 24-year old KPF prospect (that is probably untradeable, and would be other than the fact that he has played so badly this year that both player and team may look for a chance for a fresh start at the right price).

My statement makes it sound like my opinion is cut and dry, but of course it isn't, just pointing out the distinction. I reserve the right to be completely inconsistent from player to player! :)

Brian turns 30 next year. And you forgot to mention 2 time All Australian.

Desipura
27-07-2011, 07:56 AM

If Ward goes those odds of yours come down significantly

Desipura
27-07-2011, 07:58 AM

I have heard the same thing and this is the reason why we should trade in players from other clubs. If Ward and/or Lake decide to leave, I think we would have no choice unless we want to bottom right out.

Hot_Doggies
27-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Get rid of Hill, Addison, Minson, Stack etc

Use ALL our picks on kids.

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 09:27 AM
If Ward goes those odds of yours come down significantly

Half a million to 1

Ghost Dog
27-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Swans are a club we have traditionally been able to do deals with. Any of their players we might look at?

bornadog
27-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Swans are a club we have traditionally been able to do deals with. Any of their players we might look at?

Sam Reid:D

BulldogBelle
27-07-2011, 11:06 AM
The best thing we have done this season is putting Brian on ice for the rest of the season

Better that opposition clubs remember his All-Australian form rather than his games this season

He is close to 30, pulls tricks that no one else on the list would try (eg going away on holidays when he should be having surgery) and is paid a huge sum (I also wasnt impressed with how he handled his salary negotiations with the club)

Lets trade him while he still has some currency, and bring in Dangerfield and a first round draft pick

Old_Mould
27-07-2011, 11:19 AM
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7155/newsid/118482/default.aspx

The West Coast Eagles has continued its drive to secure important players for the club’s future with key position player Mitch Brown and tenacious midfielder Matt Priddis today re-committing to the club.

Both have agreed to extend their existing contracts by two years, binding them to the club until at least the end of the 2013 season.

Here's an article from July this year about Mitch Brown re-signing with West Coast.

The expectation would be that he'll have a key defence post when Glass retires. Until then there will be rotation with Glass, MacKenzie, Schofield and Brown.

The only reason Brown is out of the side now is that he's coming back from an injured thumb.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7155/newsid/109905/default.aspx

Star West Coast Eagles defender Shannon Hurn is the first key signing of 2011 after agreeing to a new deal with the club on the eve of the season.

Hurn, 23, is an important player in the club’s future and has signed a three-year extension of his existing contract, aligning him to the club until the end of the 2014 season.

And Hurn. No way he'll get traded to Victoria either, since he's a South Aussie.

stefoid
27-07-2011, 11:41 AM
I was aboard the Dangerfield bandwagon, but someone pointed out that Dangerfield himself would be crazy to force himself out of Adelaide with 1 year to go on his contract when he will be uncontracted the following year with GWS still able to pounce.

The Coon Dog
27-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I was aboard the Dangerfield bandwagon, but someone pointed out that Dangerfield himself would be crazy to force himself out of Adelaide with 1 year to go on his contract when he will be uncontracted the following year with GWS still able to pounce.

I guess it really depends on what he wants. No good staying on for an additional year if you're unhappy.

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Not sure about Will.

ps. according to the Hun today we're paying Lake $550+.

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 12:02 PM

Missed this when it was first posted.. I think I'm the only one who has explicitly mentioned trading Minson, so I'll try to answer this one quickly. I proposed the Minson trade ONLY in relation to the possibility of landing Tippett, who will be essentially a direct swap with Will (with all due respect) in terms of role, as Tippett can also ruck.

You make good points though, and I do think the Roughhead/Tippett combination will be pretty light on in the ruck, although probably giving us a lot more quality and flexibility around the ground than a Minson/Roughhead combo. (I'm leaving out the fact that Jones and Barlow can take stints in the ruck).

1eyedog
27-07-2011, 12:05 PM
I have heard the same thing and this is the reason why we should trade in players from other clubs. If Ward and/or Lake decide to leave, I think we would have no choice unless we want to bottom right out.

This.

I personally think another opportunity will open up to us in 2-3 years. We should trade in to the club to fill in roles for the next tilt. I think it will come quicker than most are suggesting without the need for a total rebuild like some are suggesting.

1eyedog
27-07-2011, 12:13 PM
ps. according to the Hun today we're paying Lake $550+.

That's considerably more than I thought. My understanding was that Cooney was the highest paid player on our list at about 550K.

As another poster pointed out Lake's was a 4 year deal and I actually thought it was 1.8 miliion over 4 years. That would have Lake on 450K guaranteed over 4 years leaving him half way through his contract with AT LEAST $900K owing on it.

My understanding is complete and utter speculation though.

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 12:29 PM
The best thing we have done this season is putting Brian on ice for the rest of the season

Better that opposition clubs remember his All-Australian form rather than his games this season

He is close to 30, pulls tricks that no one else on the list would try (eg going away on holidays when he should be having surgery) and is paid a huge sum (I also wasnt impressed with how he handled his salary negotiations with the club)

Lets trade him while he still has some currency, and bring in Dangerfield and a first round draft pick
I wish the club would come out and make it clear what did and what did not happen wiith Brian, to stop all this rumor an inneundo. I read or heard at a club function, can not recall which, that Brian had one of his surgeries before he went on holiday and was told he could not have the next surgery for a while and the best thing was to go away and have a break before t next surgery !

Desipura
27-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I guess it really depends on what he wants. No good staying on for an additional year if you're unhappy.
I read he does miss home

the banker
27-07-2011, 01:52 PM
It would be good to see a list of all teams players coming out of contract end of year.

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Again I'm all for the speculation and making the team stronger but I haven't seen a plausible trade yet that likely to happen in 4 pages.

Dangerfield might want to come back but doubt they want Minson since they traded for a ruck last season.

Desipura
27-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Again I'm all for the speculation and making the team stronger but I haven't seen a plausible trade yet that likely to happen in 4 pages.

Dangerfield might want to come back but doubt they want Minson since they traded for a ruck last season.
You dont think Adelaide would take our first rounder from the Ward trade for Dangerfield?
If he wants out and wants to come back home to Victoria, they are better off getting a first rounder for him then "diddly swat" next year when he is out of contract.

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 03:27 PM
If Dangerfield wants to come back - no one knows really yet.
What's makes you think we will be the only bidder in Melbourne or his choice of club?
What make you think Ward is gone and we'll get a first rounder in comp? We might want to save it.
Certain that Dangerfield will settle for what we are offering Ward? Or we won't be outbidded?
Still a long shot

1eyedog
27-07-2011, 03:38 PM
You dont think Adelaide would take our first rounder from the Ward trade for Dangerfield?
If he wants out and wants to come back home to Victoria, they are better off getting a first rounder for him then "diddly swat" next year when he is out of contract.

Do you think the Demons would go after him with one of their first rounders for Scully? They seem to like the hard nuts (e.g. Maloney, Jones and that other young hard nut whos name escapes me).

stefoid
27-07-2011, 04:11 PM

I can think of hundreds of thousands of good reasons.

he can make waves now with 12 months to go on his contract and demand to be traded

or he can wait 12 months and be well within his rights as an uncontracted player to field offers from GWS and anyone else. Having GWS in the hunt for your services can only drive is salary up, regardless of where he ends up.

I would be hugely surprised if Dangerfield left Adelaide at the end of this season.

bornadog
27-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Shallow draft or not, we should just go for the kids and forget trading for established players.

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 08:00 PM
No I still think he will recover both physically and mentally but do we want Lake for another two years before his body really rebels or do we want a Brown-type who has 7-8 years of AFL football in front of him. The question is where are we at as a challenger for a top 4 position over the next 2 years?

Fair point.

Not really a question of whether Lake can contribute for a year or 2 (which I think he can).

More a question of maximising his trade value NOW with a view to the future.

Desipura
28-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Do you think the Demons would go after him with one of their first rounders for Scully? They seem to like the hard nuts (e.g. Maloney, Jones and that other young hard nut whos name escapes me).

It depends on their needs. They have by all reports a future gun onballer in Todd Vineys son who has chosen to go there under the father son rule.

Desipura
28-07-2011, 07:11 AM
Shallow draft or not, we should just go for the kids and forget trading for established players.

So you are happy to bottom out given the amount of experience we are going to lose at seasons end?

LostDoggy
28-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Josh Hill & Will Minson straight swap for Dangerfield? Wishful thinking ;)

bornadog
28-07-2011, 09:59 AM
So you are happy to bottom out given the amount of experience we are going to lose at seasons end?

Why do you say we will bottom out? We have plenty of players over 25 years old. Lets face it, we are not going to draft a gun from another club, we have nothing to give, so lets go for youth.

LostDoggy
28-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Josh Hill & Will Minson straight swap for Dangerfield? Wishful thinking ;)

Any suitor needs to be careful about Dangerfield. He is hard at it no doubt but he has no tank. One foray into the play and he is buggered and looking for the interchange. I think you will find this is the reason for his low stats - he can't back up.

Desipura
28-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Why do you say we will bottom out? We have plenty of players over 25 years old. Lets face it, we are not going to draft a gun from another club, we have nothing to give, so lets go for youth.

We may have 2 first rounders if Ward goes and another first rounder from this year. I think we have plenty to give.

bornadog
28-07-2011, 10:57 AM
We may have 2 first rounders if Ward goes and another first rounder from this year. I think we have plenty to give.

Why do we want to trade these away instead of picking some good young players for the future? We can hang on to the two first rounders for future years if we think the next draft is shallow.

Any older players that we draft means the likes of Tutt, Schofield, Wallis, Cordy, Roughead etc etc may not get an opportunity to develop.

LostDoggy
28-07-2011, 08:39 PM
One player that does interest me is Jack Anthony , he just hasn,t fitted in well with Fremantle and is yet to resign , yes he is out of form but in form he is a solid mark and a damn straight kick , a replacement for Hall he would,nt be but he is more than capable of giving us 2 or 3 goals a game , he is still only 23 and I believe a fresh start would do him some good , also we wouldn,t be paying top dollar thats for sure

Maddog37
28-07-2011, 08:51 PM
One player that does interest me is Jack Anthony , he just hasn,t fitted in well with Fremantle and is yet to resign , yes he is out of form but in form he is a solid mark and a damn straight kick , a replacement for Hall he would,nt be but he is more than capable of giving us 2 or 3 goals a game , he is still only 23 and I believe a fresh start would do him some good , also we wouldn,t be paying top dollar thats for sure

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit......

azabob
28-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Not sold on Jack Anthony. He has struggled to break into the dockers team and reality is the dockers have had more injuries than majority of clubs this year. He apparently also has a very high opinion of himself.

LostDoggy
28-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Not sold on Jack Anthony. He has struggled to break into the dockers team and reality is the dockers have had more injuries than majority of clubs this year. He apparently also has a very high opinion of himself.

Apparently there just hasn,t been a spot for Jack , Fremantle are happy with their in form smalls with Pavlich and Johnson as the talls , some senior Dockers players do not get on with Jack for whatever reason , he has managed 27 goals in 12 games for Subiaco , as far as I know he is injury free probably not as match fit as he should be , I for one would be happy to see him get a fresh start

lemmon
28-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Can play down back as well, still doesn't excuse that he's average but he can play down back...no for me

chef
28-07-2011, 09:49 PM

If you could have a designated kicker he would be fine, but he can't find the ball himself and would be a clogger of the highest order.

LostDoggy
29-07-2011, 01:34 AM
If you could have a designated kicker he would be fine, but he can't find the ball himself and would be a clogger of the highest order.

Isn't the knock on Anthony that he is no good with the defensive stuff ie. chasing, tackling etc., which doesn't fit in with the modern press (which was why he was dropped at the Pies)?

He would have been great if this was 1985 -- I do like his conversion rate -- but in 2012 forwards have to be almost more maniacally defensive than most defenders (and certainly be as willing to scrap as any in-and-under mid) to earn a spot in the AFL.

Remi Moses
29-07-2011, 04:40 AM

Umm Noooooooo

LongWait
29-07-2011, 05:03 PM

I think that this is what we should end up doing but we'd be silly not to consider Dangerfield if he became available. We should only trade for absolute quality and should keep well away from recycled players who are really not quite up to it (eg Anthony.)

I guess I'm agreeing with you but with a qualification that we should consider any absolute gun available if they suit our needs.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Umm Noooooooo

Reason Remi? Try to just picture him without black and white stripes for a second and be objective.....:D

Desipura
30-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Reason Remi? Try to just picture him without black and white stripes for a second and be objective.....:D

I hear his favourite color is pink. ;)

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Remi Moses
30-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Don't think he's up to it . Can't get a gig at an injury ravaged side,also doesn't work hard enough when he hasn't got the ball.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Don't think he's up to it . Can't get a gig at an injury ravaged side,also doesn't work hard enough when he hasn't got the ball.

If we get him super cheap, shave his head, beat him up a bit so he didn't sulk so much, might work. ^_^

w3design
30-07-2011, 10:18 PM
No no no no no

Ghost Dog
30-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Being serious, after today's game it's glaringly obvious we are going to have some huge challenges.

What the hell is going on with Vezpremi?

North and WC have in common, large bodied players able to contest in the air. We need a cloke, another minson, or other to up our physical presence IMO

Hotdog60
30-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Being serious, after today's game it's glaringly obvious we lack kicking power.
We have too many players who seem to futz around the 50 arc.
Was happy to see stack and Barlow have a stab at it today.
We are going to miss Baz. huge gaping hole on the way.

With a bit of luck and a good pre season who knows we may have a replacement if he can stay on the park.

Tom Hill
'A mobile tall forward originally from Preston and the Northern Knights with deceptive speed, clean hands and good ground skills. Was identified by Greater Western Sydney and moved north but managed just one game because of a knee injury. Will improve as he adds bulk.'

stefoid
31-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Jones, Roughead, Cordy and T.Hill are all potential big marking forwards. Our problem is who can stop the oppositions big marking forwards from kicking bags of goals. With Lake out, guys like Petrie and Kennedy make fools of us.

Cordy's apparent ability to play back , forward or in the ruck could be immense value for us. How many other payers are that versatile?

LostDoggy
31-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Jones, Roughead, Cordy and T.Hill are all potential big marking forwards. Our problem is who can stop the oppositions big marking forwards from kicking bags of goals. With Lake out, guys like Petrie and Kennedy make fools of us.

Cordy's apparent ability to play back , forward or in the ruck could be immense value for us. How many other payers are that versatile?

If his shoulders hold he's a pancea for us but we've got a whole lot of our future eggs in Cordy's basket. Think we need to go for youth and we clearly need to find two fast outside mid's and another tall back. If Ward goes IMO we hold onto both 1st rounders (assuming we get two :eek:) for 2012 and go nuts for the above with the three first round picks. ONLY REASON I'd veer from that plan would be if Dangerfield is (a) available (b) sees us as a fit and (c) can be got for 1 first rounder plus Josh "I don't believe in pressure" Hill.

mjp
31-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I want Trent McKenzie as a young, outside mid who can kick. Offer GCS J. Grant + second round pick.

The other thing I want is to go aggressively after one of Collingwoods outside mids or medium defenders - they have bazillions of them. My preference would be Wellingham or Toovey - but I understand Goldsack is the one out of contract. Pre-season draft - pay over the odds...they will be pushing the salary cap as it is.

Who else is worth targeting in the PSD? There are some other high draft picks floating around who we should be talking too...Lewis Jetta should be out-of-contract at Sydney, so too Andrew Moore at Port Adelaide - why is it only GWS who can make other clubs 2009 draft picks pay offers?

Ghost Dog
01-08-2011, 12:20 AM
was reading about Ahmed Saad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q0NcVwehTI

Carlton don't want him. Plenty of pace and pep. GWS will be gunning for him though with his background and all.

Throughandthrough
01-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Being serious, after today's game it's glaringly obvious we are going to have some huge challenges.

North and WC have in common, large bodied players able to contest in the air. We need a cloke, another minson, or other to up our physical presence IMO

Are you saying we should look at The Chad?

I know I am!

LostDoggy
01-08-2011, 08:33 AM

The same thing that is happening with Everitt, they are just not up to it.

Desipura
01-08-2011, 10:48 AM
The same thing that is happening with Everitt, they are just not up to it.
Disagree about Veszpremi, on natural ability alone he has what it takes. Whether he is willing to work hard and get really fit, that is another question..........
Initially I thought it would be good for him to get a game, now I think its better that he does not play and make him earn it.
I would give him a token game at the end of the season and tell him this is how hard you need to work otherwise we will move you on.

LostDoggy
01-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Disagree about Veszpremi, on natural ability alone he has what it takes. Whether he is willing to work hard and get really fit, that is another question..........
Initially I thought it would be good for him to get a game, now I think its better that he does not play and make him earn it.
I would give him a token game at the end of the season and tell him this is how hard you need to work otherwise we will move you on.

I've got a dozen mates with AFL natural ability but who simply didn't have willpower needed to stay totally focussed. Apparently this bloke has been trying since pre-Sydney draft to find the endevour to commit his body to the requirements of an AFL life but he hasn't managed to find that extra bit that turns potential into reality. I'll give him one more pre-season and one more year to prove he can do it but I hold far better hope for some of our other potential forwards (Hill, Skinner etc...)

Rocco Jones
01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I doubt they would trade him but I think Petrenko is ready to boom

Ghost Dog
01-08-2011, 08:32 PM

I know I am!

Why not? Looks ok on Youtube. Can kick them outside 50 with some confidence. Any other views on this player from those that have watched him?

azabob
01-08-2011, 08:36 PM

I know I am!

Surely you jest? He is injury prone and is all about the Chad.

Rocco Jones
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM
I think we have a heap of players who aren't up to the level and it's apparently a weak draft.

I would definitely be looking at recruiting a couple of state league types. Put it this way, if Moles, Stack, Markovic or Mulligan were running around for a state league side would we want to go anywhere near them? Are there state league options who are better than them? I don't think we can afford to cut as deep as we want to and just draft kids.

azabob
01-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I think we have a heap of players who aren't up to the level and it's apparently a weak draft.

I would definitely be looking at recruiting a couple of state league types. Put it this way, if Moles, Stack, Markovic or Mulligan were running around for a state league side would we want to go anywhere near them? Are there state league options who are better than them? I don't think we can afford to cut as deep as we want to and just draft kids.

I hear what you are saying about the state league but Im not sure we have the resources to do enough of due diligence.

Markovic and Moles were originally from the state league.

All clubs will be raiding the state leagues if they already haven't.

GVGjr in particular has been extremly vocal about cutting deeper in our list at the end of 2009 & 2010 (perhaps even 2008) but we have not. Hence why we are in the position we are in and feel the need to perhaps even upgrade rookies even though don't deserve it.

Rookie list is a blessing and also a hindrance.

bulldogsman
01-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I hear what you are saying about the state league but Im not sure we have the resources to do enough of due diligence.

Markovic and Moles were originally from the state league.

All clubs will be raiding the state leagues if they already haven't.

GVGjr in particular has been extremly vocal about cutting deeper in our list at the end of 2009 & 2010 (perhaps even 2008) but we have not. Hence why we are in the position we are in and feel the need to perhaps even upgrade rookies even though don't deserve it.

Rookie list is a blessing and also a hindrance.

We've done that the last 2 years (Hooper, Mulligan). I won't be surprised if they upgrade 3 rookies this year given their track record.

Rocco Jones
01-08-2011, 09:17 PM

I also hear what you're saying but I think that sometimes state leaguers can be 'beneath' recruiters. If they pick them they are seen as less sophisticated/anyone can do their job.

I just really struggle with the scenario of keeping 3-4+ guys who are obviously not going to make it just because we need the depth.

azabob
01-08-2011, 09:21 PM
I also hear what you're saying but I think that sometimes state leaguers can be 'beneath' recruiters. If they pick them they are seen as less sophisticated/anyone can do their job.

I just really struggle with the scenario of keeping 3-4+ guys who are obviously not going to make it just because we need the depth.

Agree totally with the whole what if scenario.

Would you look to draft best available talent, mature body or a young kid who has just come out of the underage comp and gone straight into the VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc?

Do you draft from the state league for depth or for them to play AFL footy?

azabob
01-08-2011, 09:25 PM
We've done that the last 2 years (Hooper, Mulligan). I won't be surprised if they upgrade 3 rookies this year given their track record.

Yep it is frustrating. I still cannot understand why they did not wait the extra year with them both.

Especially with Hooper he struggled in his only AFL game (albeit a final) and then turns up for pre-season training unfit. Basically we have to waste another another year of him playing VFL footy waiting for him to get match fit.

Wonder what shape he would've turned up in if he was still on the rookie list?

Rocco Jones
01-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Agree totally with the whole what if scenario.

Would you look to draft best available talent, mature body or a young kid who has just come out of the underage comp and gone straight into the VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc?

Do you draft from the state league for depth or for them to play AFL footy?

I had a look at our list while creating the list management thread. After years of not being willing to cut deep into the list we have a lot of guys who are clearly not up to it. That leaves us with two issues if we make up for that by cutting deep this season

1/ Weak draft
2/ Lack of depth

If we get rid of guys like Moles, Addison, Mulligan and Stack, along with the retirements, we will be a very immature list with very limited depth. I think we will need to draft some state leaguers who are 20+ if we are going to go full hog with cutting deep.

To answer your question I would be going for best available obviously but replacing 'only value they add is physical presence/maturity that is needed' with possible superior types that offer the same if that makes sense. If we just are keeping guys on because they offer a senior body, why not go for someone who does that and is better? Really, we are talking about Moles, Stack, Mulligan, Addison etc here.

LostDoggy
01-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Whether its a Weak draft its always an opinion. I hear it every year. We have 2 players from last rookie draft in our team so I think we should disregard whether the draft this year is strong or weak.

Ghost Dog
01-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Right. And it will be the same for all teams.

Sockeye Salmon
01-08-2011, 10:33 PM
I doubt they would trade him but I think Petrenko is ready to boom

Very quick, gets to the right spots but fumbles nearly as much as Djerrkura.

LostDoggy
01-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Very quick, gets to the right spots but fumbles nearly as much as Djerrkura.

Forgot - wears 23 and looks like McLeod.

Throughandthrough
01-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Surely you jest? He is injury prone and is all about the Chad.

Just putting it out there. No one tries harder. He bleeds for the footy and to win a game.

Not sure he would do a lot more then Mitch Hahn, but maybe as a temporary replacement for Bazza.

He hasn't missed more then a few games this year with injury either, has played some solid (albeit hot and cold) footy for Glenelg as well.

BulldogBelle
01-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Just putting it out there. No one tries harder. He bleeds for the footy and to win a game.

Not sure he would do a lot more then Mitch Hahn, but maybe as a temporary replacement for Bazza.

He hasn't missed more then a few games this year with injury either, has played some solid (albeit hot and cold) footy for Glenelg as well.

The Chad - I think Sheedy and the GWS Goons will make him an offer - and pay him and Port much more than anyone else will offer for a final season for him. A premiership player, great attitude and hard as nails - great role model for the younger players coming through that club.

The fella will be 32 next season :confused:

Probably need to make an assessment of where we will be at next season - if we think we will be finals contenders fair enough, if not I wouldn't be bringing in someone like Cornes...

Greystache
02-08-2011, 12:18 AM
A player I'd be interested in is Taylor Walker at Adelaide. There's question marks over his attitude, but he's shown an ability to be a quality key forward, and with the up and down season he's had his trade currency would be lower that it might otherwise be. He's been 2nd string behind Tippett, with Barry retiring there'd be a good opportunity next year for him with us.

wb_age
02-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Plenty of question marks surrounding Lake, just as many this season for Walker for different reasons.

Who would entertain the idea of a straight swap? I like the cut if his jib (walker) and would consider it.

macca
02-08-2011, 01:31 AM
A player I'd be interested in is Taylor Walker at Adelaide. There's question marks over his attitude, but he's shown an ability to be a quality key forward, and with the up and down season he's had his trade currency would be lower that it might otherwise be. He's been 2nd string behind Tippett, with Barry retiring there'd be a good opportunity next year for him with us.

rumour has it he has signed for GWS. Not sure if its true, we will see in 6 weeks time

Greystache
02-08-2011, 01:33 AM
rumour has it he has signed for GWS. Not sure if its true, we will see in 6 weeks time

It's all speculation, but reports are suggesting they're not interested in him. Sydney is the club being bandied about.

Desipura
02-08-2011, 07:19 AM
I've got a dozen mates with AFL natural ability but who simply didn't have willpower needed to stay totally focussed. Apparently this bloke has been trying since pre-Sydney draft to find the endevour to commit his body to the requirements of an AFL life but he hasn't managed to find that extra bit that turns potential into reality. I'll give him one more pre-season and one more year to prove he can do it but I hold far better hope for some of our other potential forwards (Hill, Skinner etc...)

What have you seen in Hill that gives you hope that Tom Hill can make it?

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 12:06 PM
What have you seen in Hill that gives you hope that Tom Hill can make it?

There's some good footage of him here - good contested mark albeit I accept this isn't AFL level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EWo3vtMa7I

He's clearly got some history of injury but so do Roughy and Cordy so we've just got to hope he can work through that. IMO FF will come down to either Hill or Grant in the next 2-3 years unless we pick up Walker through some magical trade.

Desipura
02-08-2011, 12:16 PM
There's some good footage of him here - good contested mark albeit I accept this isn't AFL level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EWo3vtMa7I

He's clearly got some history of injury but so do Roughy and Cordy so we've just got to hope he can work through that. IMO FF will come down to either Hill or Grant in the next 2-3 years unless we pick up Walker through some magical trade.

Oh ok, you are going off "highlights", got it.

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh ok, you are going off "highlights", got it.

Haven't got much more than that to go off with this kid but I've seen him play a few games and the "highlights" reel is a pretty good indicator. Don't get me wrong, I hope Vezspremi makes it - we sure as hell need good players to stand up. The question mark is that he has more exposed challenges than others that we have on our list and is therefore less likely to make it.

bulldogsman
02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Rumours are we're interested in Paul Bower. Anyone want?

Desipura
02-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Not really, I m sure they would want Josh Hill for him.

soupman
02-08-2011, 02:30 PM

God no. Very average.

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Would actually fill a need. Depends on what he would cost.

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Plenty of question marks surrounding Lake, just as many this season for Walker for different reasons.

Who would entertain the idea of a straight swap? I like the cut if his jib (walker) and would consider it.

Taylor Walker is one of the softest players you are likely to ever see.

1eyedog
02-08-2011, 03:14 PM

Yes I am he's quick and tall and can play as a rebounding defender. He is a confidence player though and very ordinary as a defensive option so he is not overly versatile.

I would swap Hill for Bower.

Taylor Walker is one of the softest players you are likely to ever see.

He's a marking option and is good at ground level, knows where the goals are and rarely falls over. Can we carry his lack of defensive efforts in the F50?

bulldogsman
02-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Carlton would want more then Hill for Bower surely. I think he could be worth as high as a 2nd round draft pick IMO.

Sedat
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
This from my Carlton mate:

"A very good player who is injury prone - just can't get on the paddock. Very courageous with good pace and skill. Wouldn't surprise that a dipstick like Ratten is trying to sell him off."

No he's not much of a Ratten fan :D

Mofra
02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Can't sign with GWS now that Davis has, unless GWS trade for him

1eyedog
02-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Carlton would want more then Hill for Bower surely. I think he could be worth as high as a 2nd round draft pick IMO.

Agree but Hill was put on the table.

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Also with Davis going to Gws, getting Talia might be harder.

bornadog
03-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Jacob Surjan wants out of Port Adelaide (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jacob-surjan-wants-out-of-port-adelaide/story-e6frf9jf-1226107717436)

Happy Days
04-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Who are the nine?

Off the top of my head, would only want Trengove, Boak or Hartlett.

Throughandthrough
04-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Not at all. He is barely sanfl standard.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Who are the nine?

Off the top of my head, would only want Trengove, Boak or Hartlett.

Agreed, and considering Boak and Hartlett are one paced, we probably wouldn't want them anyway. Hartlett's body has struggled to hold up.

Whilst I rate Trengove, I feel he's a little overrated ... or maybe I haven't forced myself to watch enough of Port.

bulldogsman
04-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Would love Carlile but is linked to GWS. Robbie Gray would also be nice but is a bit injury prone.

Desipura
04-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Would love Carlile but is linked to GWS. Robbie Gray would also be nice but is a bit injury prone.

Robbie Gray signed a contract last season, can't see him wanting to leave. Surjan is a fierce little bugger who shows good leadership, I would look at him.
Trengrove is the one to provide cover down back and still has improvement in him.

Go_Dogs
04-08-2011, 08:59 AM
What about Gavin Urquhart from North? Hasn't strung together a bunch of senior games this year, is a powerful lad with a booming foot. I guess currently, the poor man's version of Hurn but still a lot of scope to improve. Could be cheap too.

Desipura
04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
What about Gavin Urquhart from North? Hasn't strung together a bunch of senior games this year, is a powerful lad with a booming foot. I guess currently, the poor man's version of Hurn but still a lot of scope to improve. Could be cheap too.
Fair call

BulldogBelle
06-08-2011, 12:25 AM
THE future of Melbourne midfielder Colin Sylvia has been thrown into further doubt after the Demons last night dumped the 25-year-old from the side to play Carlton tomorrow at the MCG.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/axed-sylvias-future-in-doubt-20110804-1idmt.html#ixzz1U9zJxYEP

Could we get Sylvia cheaply? Any takers?

Sockeye Salmon
06-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Fails the 'no dickhead' clause.

Melbourne were shopping him around a few years back and we said no thanks then.

Desipura
06-08-2011, 09:50 AM

How about Jarrad Grant, did he pass it?

ledge
06-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I heard an interview on Sylvia not long ago and he said he had matured, maybe he has.
Sherman passed the no dickhead rule.

LostDoggy
06-08-2011, 12:16 PM
How about Jarrad Grant, did he pass it?

Please tell us how Grant is a dickhead?

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2011, 02:33 PM
No idea about his attitude, however, on talent alone he's certainly worth looking at. He wouldn't come cheaply though.

Rocco Jones
06-08-2011, 02:43 PM

How on earth did Justin Sherman pass it? Would have to be the first non physical test he gas passed in his life.

LostDoggy
06-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Sherman is brainless not a dickhead.

GVGjr
06-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Sherman is brainless not a dickhead.

Tend to agree but I was never confident that he was a good trade for us. His on field endeavors this year haven't displayed a lot of genuine footy smarts as he always seems to be trying to kick flashy goals when the higher percentage option is also available.

Ghost Dog
06-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Tend to agree but I was never confident that he was a good trade for us. His on field endeavors this year haven't displayed a lot of genuine footy smarts as he always seems to be trying to kick flashy goals when the higher percentage option is also available.

Players can be taught to be more unselfish. he'll be ok for us, as he can run and gets his own ball. The dribble goal attempt along the ground against WC was something he should have got a bake for.

Rocco Jones
09-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Trengrove is the one to provide cover down back and still has improvement in him.

Jackson Trengove is one I would really be looking at. He can play down back or in the ruck and would compliment a list with Cordy (for/ruck/back) and Roughy (ruck/for). I think all 3 can fit in the same side.

Desipura
10-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Jackson Trengove is one I would really be looking at. He can play down back or in the ruck and would compliment a list with Cordy (for/ruck/back) and Roughy (ruck/for). I think all 3 can fit in the same side.

And as you say flexible enough to play in a number of positions, the ability to play down back and ruck an extra plus. My only concern is that he may be too similar to Cordy in terms of positions he can play. Could Trengove become a full back long term?

the banker
10-08-2011, 08:10 AM
I think we need

* a hard midfielder who is a good user and decision maker = Luke Shuey type (+ dont lose Ward)
* a flexible skilled tall back = Jackson Trengrove ?
* a breakout 50 goal+ year forward = ?

I would be willing to trade Higgins to get someone of quality.

1eyedog
10-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Tippett may go to the Suns, looking at a second and possible third rounder (this can't be right?)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/suns--the-gun-crows-may-lose-tippett-20110809-1ikxx.html

Can we revisit this discussion? Is there anyway we can fit him into the cap if Ward goes and Hall, Hudson and Hargrave retire? Gilbee to vets for one more year (he has a year to run doesn't he?)

What will get the deal over the line do you think?

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Surely Collingwood will be bitten by the salary cap bug this season, especially if they win the premiership.

Players such as McCaffer, McCarthy and Goldsack can't get a regular game for one reason or another.

Twodogs
10-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Jacob Surjan wants out of Port Adelaide (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jacob-surjan-wants-out-of-port-adelaide/story-e6frf9jf-1226107717436)

I've heard there's a story behind that one. Allegedly Motlop and Surjan's partners had an argument and a Tyson Edwards/Andrew Mcleod type standoff has developed. It must be an Adelaide thing.

Surjan is a decent lockdown type midfielder. I wouldnt be adverse to us having a go at him.

Greystache
10-08-2011, 03:56 PM
I've heard there's a story behind that one. Allegedly Motlop and Surjan's partners had an argument and a Tyson Edwards/Andrew Mcleod type standoff has developed. It must be an Adelaide thing.

Surjan is a decent lockdown type midfielder. I wouldnt be adverse to us having a go at him.

Motlop was charged with assaulting Surjan's girlfriend, and found guilty in court if offensive language.

SlimPickens
10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
A couple of players i would look at are Daniel Talia (Adel) and Goldsack from Collingwood. Think we need to sure up our defence and think both of these players are attainable.

As for thee forward line I certainly think we need another gorilla to replace Bazza. Taylor Walkers name has be thrown around, he would be one we should look at, the other i think although form doesn't really warrant anything big might be Jesse White. He has certainly stagnated at Sydney and may not cost too much.

Twodogs
10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Motlop was charged with assaulting Surjan's girlfriend, and found guilty in court if offensive language.

Really? I missed that one.

Happy Days
10-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Surely Collingwood will be bitten by the salary cap bug this season, especially if they win the premiership.

Players such as McCaffer, McCarthy and Goldsack can't get a regular game for one reason or another.

McCaffer, McCarthy & Goldsack = Prismal, Gamble & Callan

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that fringe players at the best clubs are going to seem better than fringe players at the lower end teams.

bornadog
10-08-2011, 04:22 PM
McCaffer, McCarthy & Goldsack = Prismal, Gamble & Callan

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that fringe players at the best clubs are going to seem better than fringe players at the lower end teams.

yes I agree, if they were any good they would be in their best 22.

Mantis
10-08-2011, 04:30 PM
A couple of players i would look at are Daniel Talia (Adel) and Goldsack from Collingwood. Think we need to sure up our defence and think both of these players are attainable.

With the loss last year of Bock and now Davis and with Rutten getting on it's highly unlikely that Talia will be going anywhere... Unless he is extremely home-sick. Adelaide would want a fair bit for him if he was to go.

I wouldn't mind Goldsack, would be a suitable replacement for Hargrave.

bulldogsman
10-08-2011, 04:56 PM
McCaffer isn't a bad player either, had a good year last year and was best 22. He's had a few injuries this year.

Goldsack would be more then handy.

Desipura
10-08-2011, 05:17 PM

As for thee forward line I certainly think we need another gorilla to replace Bazza. Taylor Walkers name has be thrown around, he would be one we should look at, the other i think although form doesn't really warrant anything big might be Jesse White. He has certainly stagnated at Sydney and may not cost too much.
Gorilla and Taylor Walker cannot be in the same sentence.
Dont mention Jesse White as one to look at some people think he is unattainable!

stefoid
10-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I think we need

* a hard midfielder who is a good user and decision maker = Luke Shuey type (+ dont lose Ward)
* a flexible skilled tall back = Jackson Trengrove ?
* a breakout 50 goal+ year forward = ?

Geez, while youre at it, you forgot 'oral pleasure from cameron diaz' and 'to be named Bill Gates sole heir' :)

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 11:13 PM
yes I agree, if they were any good they would be in their best 22.

What simplistic crap. If our best 22 were as good as Collingwood we'd be sitting top 3 then right? Fact is our best 22 aren't. McCaffer and Goldsack would be certain starters.

Happy Days
11-08-2011, 12:04 AM
What simplistic crap. If our best 22 were as good as Collingwood we'd be sitting top 3 then right? Fact is our best 22 aren't. McCaffer and Goldsack would be certain starters.

It's not that our best 22 is as good as Collingwood's (it isn't), it's that because there's is so good, they can allow for players with limited skillsets to come into the side, play a role, and have their weaknesses protected.

If the two players listed had larger responsibilities given to them, like the expectation of being a week-in, week-out contributor to the ones, do you really think they could provide anything worthwhile? Maccaffer may as well not have an opposite foot, and Goldsack just does the job on the 3rd-4th forward every week.

Collingwood's strength lies in it's structure; making average players (Blair, Keefe, Rounds, Wellingham, Goldsack, Buckley, Johnson etc.) look better than they are by giving them a role to perform tailored to their strengths. Without that structure, these players would be badly exposed, just like the "unlucky" Cats before them.

bornadog
11-08-2011, 12:04 AM

Really crap is it?

Desipura
11-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Really crap is it?
It was simplistic though. Cmon Bornadog, Goldsack would get a game easily in our best 22, even with all players fit.
Imagine having Wood and Goldsack running out of our backline? That would be nice combined with Murphy.
He would not come cheap though......... Has a great attitude as well

1eyedog
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM

The question I would ask is how far apart are our fringe players to Collingwood's? Other than Goldsack I don't think there's really that much in it. McCaffer and McCarthy are very good VFL players who ride on the wings of the all conquering dragon IMHO.

Who else is there at Collingwood not getting a regular game that would come straight into our team? Brad Dick is the only other player I would be interested in.

You are exactly right though, Collingwood's best 22 are a Premiership and about 11 places on the 2011 ladder better than our best 22 and yes we have underachieved this year but that's how it is.

Collingwood have had big game players out for large chunks of the year, so that's no excuse.

Sockeye Salmon
11-08-2011, 01:04 PM
It was simplistic though. Cmon Bornadog, Goldsack would get a game easily in our best 22, even with all players fit.
Imagine having Wood and Goldsack running out of our backline? That would be nice combined with Murphy.
He would not come cheap though......... Has a great attitude as well

Wood, Lake, Morris
Higgins, Williams, Murphy

Goldsack becomes another depth player.

If you want someone to replace Morris in a few years time this year seems a good one for mid-sized defenders, why wouldn't you just draft one?

bornadog
11-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Wood, Lake, Morris

If you want someone to replace Morris in a few years time this year seems a good one for mid-sized defenders, why wouldn't you just draft one?

Thanks SS, saves me a post. I also prefer to draft a player for the future.

Mantis
11-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Wood, Lake, Morris

Seeing as though that listed 6 have probably played 1 or 2 games together this year one would think we will need added depth in our defence.

Add to that another addition to the back 6 might release Murphy or Higgins to play forward.

Desipura
11-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Wood, Lake, Morris

No guarantee with drafting one that he will become an AFL player. Goldsack is ready to play now and has played well at senior level. I vividly recall a goal against us where he took a few bounces through the middle of the ground and kicked a long goal. Was one of their better players that night.
People at Collingwood think he is very stiff not to be in the side and rate his leadership, we lack leadership so I think he would be a good fit, just my opinion.

Desipura
11-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks SS, saves me a post. I also prefer to draft a player for the future.
Goldsack is 24yo

1eyedog
11-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Goldsack is 24yo

Must be looking at his options to get his career on track.

Desipura
11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Must be looking at his options to get his career on track.
Collingwood wont be able to retain all thier players, he is worth persuing.

Greystache
11-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Collingwood wont be able to retain all thier players, he is worth persuing.

Goldsack's a fringe player that might get squeezed out, and who MIGHT become a solid senior player at another club. I'd be more inclined to chase a young best 22 player (eg Sidebottom, Reid etc) that they will struggle to hang onto and force them to keep players like Goldsack who have limited potential.

Desipura
11-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Goldsack's a fringe player that might get squeezed out, and who MIGHT become a solid senior player at another club. I'd be more inclined to chase a young best 22 player (eg Sidebottom, Reid etc) that they will struggle to hang onto and force them to keep players like Goldsack who have limited potential.

There is no way Sidebottom or Reid will become available, Collingwood dont lose players they dont really want to lose.

Greystache
11-08-2011, 02:10 PM
There is no way Sidebottom or Reid will become available, Collingwood dont lose players they dont really want to lose.

Even Collingwood can't keep them all, what they will hope to do is offload mid-aged fringe players (like Goldsack) to relieve their salary cap, just as Geelong did with ordinary players like Callan, Prismal, Djerrkura etc. If clubs only make plays for their best players they'll lose some. I'd looking to make a big offer to their younger players one by one as they come out of contract, they might retain the first, second, or even third target, but eventually it all falls apart (or they get busted for salary cap breaches).

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 03:01 PM
The Cap is no problem for clubs like collingwood, Carlton and Essendon. They know how to cheat the system and the afl turns a blind eye. Notice none have lost a player to Gcs or likely lose many to Gws. What chance is a good player like sidebottom or reid getting to us?

Maddog37
11-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Would it be feasable to offer someone like Reid (either one) $500/600 k a year and see if that tempts them?

Do what the Swans did with Mummy.

1eyedog
11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Would it be feasable to offer someone like Reid (either one) $500/600 k a year and see if that tempts them?

I like what I see of the Sydney Reid, but that sum you have put forward is well and truly out of our universe.

Greystache
11-08-2011, 05:10 PM

It should be, and that's exactly what we should do. If it doesn't land him then we target the next player on the list until we get one we need. With where our list is, and where we're lkely to be in the next couple of years we should be well placed to land that type of player.

I like what I see of the Sydney Reid, but that sum you have put forward is well and truly out of our universe.

With the list of veterans we've had/will have retire in the last two seasons we should be light years from our maximum salary cap. Even with little confidence I have in our contract negotiator, I doubt we could be that far out of kilt with where our list is.

Desipura
11-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Even Collingwood can't keep them all, what they will hope to do is offload mid-aged fringe players (like Goldsack) to relieve their salary cap, just as Geelong did with ordinary players like Callan, Prismal, Djerrkura etc. If clubs only make plays for their best players they'll lose some. I'd looking to make a big offer to their younger players one by one as they come out of contract, they might retain the first, second, or even third target, but eventually it all falls apart (or they get busted for salary cap breaches).

And Collingwood will do the same with us and potentially kill us off, no thanks! Its a dangerous game to play and we will get burnt on the rebound in a bigger way. They are a bigger club than us in every way.

Maddog37
11-08-2011, 05:22 PM
And Collingwood will do the same with us and potentially kill us off, no thanks! Its a dangerous game to play and we will get burnt on the rebound in a bigger way. They are a bigger club than us in every way.

So we should just run away and accept the status quo Desi?

Greystache
11-08-2011, 05:22 PM
And they will do the same with us and potentially kill us off, no thanks!

If they could they'd be doing it already. Their history of poaching players that weren't already looking to leave for one reason or another is as poor as any other team in the AFL.

Greystache
11-08-2011, 05:24 PM
So we should just run away and accept the status quo Desi?

And whinge about how unfair the worlds is, it wins North Melbourne so much respect. :rolleyes:

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Goldsack and Dick would be the only two I'd look at. Solid players IMO.

I don't rate McCaffer and certainly don't rate McCartney.

1eyedog
11-08-2011, 06:28 PM
It should be, and that's exactly what we should do. If it doesn't land him then we target the next player on the list until we get one we need. With where our list is, and where we're lkely to be in the next couple of years we should be well placed to land that type of player.

With the list of veterans we've had/will have retire in the last two seasons we should be light years from our maximum salary cap. Even with little confidence I have in our contract negotiator, I doubt we could be that far out of kilt with where our list is.

What throw $600k a year at a potential player? 600k a year is overs at this stage for either one of those players, it's more than we pay Lake or Cooney. Ridiculous.

If we had that I'd rather go after Tippett and put him in the goal square.

Greystache
11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
What throw $600k a year at a potential player? 600k a year is overs at this stage for either one of those players, it's more than we pay Lake or Cooney. Ridiculous.

If we had that I'd rather go after Tippett and put him in the goal square.

Because Tippett's form's been so outstanding, and his consistency is so great? :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Even Collingwood can't keep them all....I'd looking to make a big offer to their younger players one by one as they come out of contract, they might retain the first, second, or even third target, but eventually it all falls apart (or they get busted for salary cap breaches).

Gotta remember we are talking about the filth. They'll get the same fine Melbourne did for admitting they tanked their arses off two years runnng.......

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 09:07 PM

I don't rate McCaffer and certainly don't rate McCartney.

Dick's shoulders are done for. He's as solid as jelly. Wouldn't go near him.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Dick's shoulders are done for. He's as solid as jelly. Wouldn't go near him.

It's a good point.

He's had two knee reconstructions as well, right?

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 09:47 PM
It's a good point.

He's had two knee reconstructions as well, right? Not sure. I know he had major knee problems during 2008 or 2009 from memory.

1eyedog
11-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Because Tippett's form's been so outstanding, and his consistency is so great? :rolleyes:

Fair crack of the whip.

He's not exactly in a team setting the world on fire.

His currency is much higher than either of the Reids IMO.

Maddog37
12-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Ben Reid premiership CHB versus Tippett. I know who I would take.......

Also I think Sydneys version will be an absolute gun. He is only 19 I think too.

Sockeye Salmon
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM

Also I think Sydneys version will be an absolute gun. He is only 19 I think too.

Why is being a premiership player relevant?

All that tells me is Reid plays in the same team as Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury and about a dozen or more other very good footballers.

Personally, I'd take Reid, too, but not because he's a premiership player.

1eyedog
12-08-2011, 11:54 AM

Fair enough, so if Tippett played for Collingwood and won a Premiership at FF you'd take him then?

Reid only got a run because Brown went down.

Tippett for mine every day of the week.

LostDoggy
12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Slightly off-topic, but did anyone read Robert Walls' piece on Scully today? It's generally crap, but the biggest piece of crap in there is his claim that only three no.1 picks have become stars, and he puts Marc Murphy as one of them (Hodge was another, I can't remember the third, Goddard maybe)...

Then he lumps Deledio and Coons in the same sentence and says that 'they've been in the system for a while and will not get there' or something like that.

Er -- I don't know about Deledio, but Coons was the premier mid for a team that played three prelims in a row. Marc Murphy has barely played a single finals game, despite having Judd basically carrying him the whole time. How Walls makes that call boggles the mind.

And where's Riewoldt? Too shithouse to meet Walls' standards?

He goes on to say that Scully can't be a dominant inside midfielder because he's too small -- maybe he hasn't heard of Scott West, or Greg Williams, or Boydy, or Libba, or Sam Mitchell, or Gablett Jr.,or Brad Sewell, or.. (to use Walls' own shithouse yardstick) MARC MURPHY, who is the same size as Scully etc. etc. etc.

The scariest thing about all this is that once upon a time clubs thought Walls was senior coach material.

Maddog37
12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Each to their own. I think Reid is a gun and will possibly be all Australian CHB this year.

Tippett is inconsistent and from what I have seen can only play at ff.

Desipura
12-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Each to their own. I think Reid is a gun and will possibly be all Australian CHB this year.

Currently both players are miles apart with Reid heading towards becoming one of the better half backs in the league

1eyedog
12-08-2011, 01:09 PM

Fair enough. I'm probably biased, I've had a man-crush on Tippett for quite a while.

I know we need key backs with Lake's fitness an unknown and Williams' and especially Mulligan's ability as yet indetermined, but we have some back up with Marko.

What are the options forward for us? Grant? Don't hold your breath, Jones will be an okay marking target across half forward but other than that the cookie jar is empty.

Big, strong full forwards who can mark, attack the ball and split packs are like hens teeth and Tippett is established. Reid may be in AA form and may even be better value at CHB over the long term but I think Tippett at full forward is the greater need for our club post-Hall.

Doc26
12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Slightly off-topic, but did anyone read Robert Walls' piece on Scully today? It's generally crap, but the biggest piece of crap in there is his claim that only three no.1 picks have become stars, and he puts Marc Murphy as one of them (Hodge was another, I can't remember the third, Goddard maybe)...

Then he lumps Deledio and Coons in the same sentence and says that 'they've been in the system for a while and will not get there' or something like that.

Er -- I don't know about Deledio, but Coons was the premier mid for a team that played three prelims in a row. Marc Murphy has barely played a single finals game, despite having Judd basically carrying him the whole time. How Walls makes that call boggles the mind.

He goes on to say that Scully can't be a dominant inside midfielder because he's too small -- maybe he hasn't heard of Scott West, or Greg Williams, or Boydy, or Libba, or Sam Mitchell, or Gablett Jr.,or Brad Sewell, or.. (to use Walls' own shithouse yardstick) MARC MURPHY, who is the same size as Scully etc. etc. etc.

The scariest thing about all this is that once upon a time clubs thought Walls was senior coach material.

Wouldn't expect anything different from Walls, he's Carlton stock afterall, who simply see Club's like ours as making up the numbers. This is also from a bloke who believes Brad Boyd and Marcus Picken are still playing.

People like this are just fodder for more learned types to be bemused by and to get some laughs out of, the football media world is littered with them.

Sedat
12-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Both will be staying under the 'Benny Hill double entendre' rule alongside Sidebottom, Ball, Seedsman, Wood, Johnson and Krak - Shannon Cox must have been utter rubbish not to be retained.

Shame that Brad Dick has been so injury prone because he really can play. Not many players can tear it up in a cut-throat final and almost be single-handedly responsible for a win in September. I'd still have a good look at him to see if he is fully over his physical ailments.

LostDoggy
12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Shannon Cox got homesick and sick of AFL. He left of his own accord i believe.

Ghost Dog
13-08-2011, 12:31 AM

That's rich. Is Murphy actually the same size as scully is he? Walls...not great on research is he?

AndrewP6
13-08-2011, 12:41 AM
That's rich. Is Murphy actually the same size as scully is he? Walls...not great on research is he?

Murphy is listed as 180cm, 80kg. Scully is 182cm and 77kg.

1eyedog
13-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Murphy is listed as 180cm, 80kg. Scully is 182cm and 77kg.

Murph's taller than 180cm. I would say he would be 185-186cm (6'1" in the old).

1eyedog
13-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Fair enough, so if Tippett played for Collingwood and won a Premiership at FF you'd take him then?

Reid only got a run because Brown went down.

Tippett for mine every day of the week.

Did anyone see that Reid boy play last night?

The boy can play!:D

Coons won the umpires award as well, don't see one yet won by Murphy (or Deledio).

I think Wall's is referring to Scully's light frame. All those mids are heavy set.

chef
13-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Nah, pretty sure he's only 180. I've seen him up close and he's the same height as me(180cm's)

Sockeye Salmon
13-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Carlton's Murphy, not ours.

1eyedog
13-08-2011, 11:58 PM

Ah okay.

1eyedog
13-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Nah, pretty sure he's only 180. I've seen him up close and he's the same height as me(180cm's)

You're right

Thanks SS

gohardorgohome
14-08-2011, 01:20 AM
Pick up Fev as a last round pick in the Rookie or Pre season draft for peanuts.... If he kicks goals and contributes to the club as well as Barry then great....Give him a go and if he screws up then sack him.

chef
15-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Robbie Tarrant would be worth a look at, maybe a swap for Higgins.

bornadog
15-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Anyone for Kane Cornes? Just be sacked by Port and only 28 years old.

chef
15-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Anyone for Kane Cornes? Just be sacked by Port and only 28 years old.

Not what we need. We shouldn't be looking at anyone over 25 years of age as we aren't going to be a contender for at least another 3-4 seasons.

Pickenitup
15-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Cornes hasnt been sacked just heard Graham On 5aa said Kane called him up and he is contracted
which means he could get traded but wont be de listed.Caro going the early crow again

Pickenitup
15-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Hope we look at Ivan Maric heard he wants to come home

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Kane is a 'required player' because delisted ones get nothing for their former club from GWS.

Ghost Dog
15-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Pick up Fev as a last round pick in the Rookie or Pre season draft for peanuts.... If he kicks goals and contributes to the club as well as Barry then great....Give him a go and if he screws up then sack him.

Would it be worth the memberships it costs us? a club has its pride.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Would it be worth the memberships it costs us? a club has its pride.

Have you read BF and/or our facebook page? I think you're overestimating the average IQ of your everyday Bulldogs fan.

AndrewP6
15-08-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a confession.

Sitting there on Saturday night, watching Baz tearing it up, and mentally fast-forwarding to the year 2012 PB (Post-Bazza), I found myself thinking what has until now, been unthinkable. I'm not sure which way to turn, or how I might go about redeeming myself.

I think we should look at Fev. :eek:

Put him on a heavily performance based contract, make him jump through hoops (perhaps several thousand of them, judging by his appearance last time I saw him) during the preseason, and lace his contract with get-out clauses, in the perhaps inevitable event that he, say, pees on a wall in public.

I just can't see anyone lifting enough to even go near covering Bazza's absence. Yes, Fev is a founding member, and current CEO, of Dickheads Inc. But the boy can kick goals.

I wonder if this is just a phase I'm going through. Maybe the cold has frozen my brain.

azabob
15-08-2011, 09:12 PM
He has had injury concerns this year, but what about Hamish McIntosh from North Melb?

Is a proven ruckman and with doubts on Hudson (being able to see out another year), Minson's ability and Roughead being able to stand up to a full season.

Maddog37
15-08-2011, 09:16 PM
He has had injury concerns this year, but what about Hamish McIntosh from North Melb?

Is a proven ruckman and with doubts on Hudson (being able to see out another year), Minson's ability and Roughead being able to stand up to a full season.

If he passes a medical he would be good. What about Hampson?

azabob
15-08-2011, 09:26 PM

My concern with him is he a ruckman or a forward or neither?

anfo27
15-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Has a leap on him but can't kick. He has a long way to go and we have a few ruckman in the same boat so I don't know why we would be looking at him.

Would prefer we keep our picks and try and develop our own kids instead of trying to trade our way back into the 8. If anything we should be trying to trade some of our older players that still have some value for some good picks but obviously with the draft being shallow that would be easier said than done.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Best reason I can think of for getting Hampson is Megan Gale coming to our games. Seiously. A bit like Pia with Brad Miller.

anfo27
16-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Best reason I can think of for getting Hampson is Megan Gale coming to our games. Seiously. A bit like Pia with Brad Miller.

Surely Megan would have had enough of her toy boy by then.

chef
16-08-2011, 07:54 AM
I have a confession.

Sitting there on Saturday night, watching Baz tearing it up, and mentally fast-forwarding to the year 2012 PB (Post-Bazza), I found myself thinking what has until now, been unthinkable. I'm not sure which way to turn, or how I might go about redeeming myself.

I think we should look at Fev. :eek:

Put him on a heavily performance based contract, make him jump through hoops (perhaps several thousand of them, judging by his appearance last time I saw him) during the preseason, and lace his contract with get-out clauses, in the perhaps inevitable event that he, say, pees on a wall in public.

I just can't see anyone lifting enough to even go near covering Bazza's absence. Yes, Fev is a founding member, and current CEO, of Dickheads Inc. But the boy can kick goals.

I wonder if this is just a phase I'm going through. Maybe the cold has frozen my brain.

I hope not. We don't need a band aid fix, we need to go back down the ladder and rebuild properly as we are probably at least another 4 seasons(depending on how we draft) away from being a decent side again.

the banker
16-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I hope not. We don't need a band aid fix, we need to go back down the ladder and rebuild properly as we are probably at least another 4 seasons(depending on how we draft) away from being a decent side again.

Why? A premiership now seems too far away, so why wouldn't we go the Sydney model and keep ourselves competitive with the top teams and play a few finals. Smart recruiting of players who have been in the system but cant get opportunity at their current club. I am not keen on bottoming out for years in the hope of a youth lead revival, this is high risk IMO. Reference Melbourne and Richmond = no fun.

Mantis
16-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Why? A premiership now seems too far away, so why wouldn't we go the Sydney model and keep ourselves competitive with the top teams and play a few finals. Smart recruiting of players who have been in the system but cant get opportunity at their current club. I am not keen on bottoming out for years in the hope of a youth lead revival, this is high risk IMO. Reference Melbourne and Richmond = no fun.

But are Sydney a realistic chance to win a premiership in the short to medium term?

Being competitive is great, but being the best is what everyone is striving for and there is no proof that the 'Sydney model' works in this regard.

chef
16-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Because I want us to win a flag, not just finish middle of the road each year.

the banker
16-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Like all of us long time supporters the flag is the ultimate goal. But it is wild speculation to think that a total youth policy will deliver this. It is just as likely to deliver prolonged misery.

I think we have youth but we lack solid contributers in the 22-25yo bracket. Are we smart enough to identify and recruit these? With our likely retirements we may have some buying power?

I want us to be competitive.

Sockeye Salmon
16-08-2011, 10:36 AM

Once free agency comes in, middle of the road will be our 'premiership'.

Greystache
16-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Once free agency comes in, middle of the road will be our 'premiership'.
But as long as we give up now we won't be disappointed.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Success brings success. That's the bottom line. It may suit other clubs to take the pedal off for a bit to get a few draft pics ( collingwood - pendelbury and D thomas, Melbourne etc ) but our club lacks the membership and following to be able to absorb that.

Desipura
16-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Apparently on SEN Robert Shaw said that we are interested in Norwoods full forward. He has kicked about 80 goals this seaon and is 21yo, is seen as a replacement for Hall.
GWS are keen on him as well, perhaps a deal is to be done as part of the Ward deal?
Can the Sth Aussies shed some light on this guy?

Mantis
16-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Apparently on SEN Robert Shaw said that we are initerested in Norwoods full forward. He has kicked about 80 goals this seaon and is 21yo, is seen as a replacement for Hall.
GWS are keen on him as well, perhaps a deal is to be done as part of the Ward deal?
Can the Sth Aussies shed some light on this guy?

I had a quick search on the SANFL website for a goal-kicking table, from what I could work out 27 goals leads Norwood's list kicked by a 186cm small forward/ wingman.

As you say hopefully someone else will have some more info.

Greystache
16-08-2011, 02:42 PM
There's a James Wundke who plays for Sturt, he's 21, 197cm, and has kicked 50 odd in the SANFL this year. Might be him, he's also a former AIS/AFL academy graduate.

Throughandthrough
16-08-2011, 02:48 PM
There's a James Wundke who plays for Sturt, he's 21, 197cm, and has kicked 50 odd in the SANFL this year. Might be him, he's also a former AIS/AFL academy graduate.

half right, half wrong

his brother Michael (at South Adelaide) is leading the goal kicking with 51

No onw from Norwood has kicked anything like that (80) in league or 18's (dunno about magoos, but i doubt it)

A senior player that has been suggested as AFL worthy at Norwood is Kieran McGuinness....

Desipura
16-08-2011, 02:48 PM

You are probably right, I got the information second hand. I know for sure he is 21yo and plays full forward.

The Underdog
16-08-2011, 02:55 PM
A senior player that has been suggested as AFL worthy at Norwood is Kieran McGuinness....

:eek: Suggested by who?