PDA

View Full Version : Essendon Forward Mark Williams retires

Greystache
25-07-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-forward-mark-williams-forced-into-retirement/story-e6frf9jf-1226101293898

Another Hawthorn player with a serious issue traded away to another club with bad results.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:12 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-forward-mark-williams-forced-into-retirement/story-e6frf9jf-1226101293898

Another Hawthorn player with a serious issue traded away to another club with bad results.

Do you think they are deceitful knowing the player has a knee issue but trading him without mentioning it. They did that with Rawlings and his dodgy knee.

Greystache
25-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Do you think they are deceitful knowing the player has a knee issue but trading him without mentioning it. They did that with Rawlings and his dodgy knee.

I think they hide the severity of issues. They did it with Jonathan Hay's mental problems, and tried to trade Tim Boyle to us for a 1st round draft pick and he retired the next season with a chronic knee problem.

Mofra
25-07-2011, 04:35 PM
There has to be a bit of buyer beware too, but trading with Hawthorn at any time is not a good idea. Maybe things will be different without the Pelican there.

Dry Rot
26-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Hope Cooney doesn't go the way of Mark Williams.

Topdog
26-07-2011, 09:00 AM

I'd say the player is more deceitful than the club but really thats what medical assessments are for.

AndrewP6
26-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Hope Cooney doesn't go the way of Mark Williams.

Hate to say, but I can see this happening. Would be surprised (and thrilled) if he made it beyond 28, with the problems he has.

MrMahatma
31-07-2011, 10:43 PM
I'd say the player is more deceitful than the club but really thats what medical assessments are for.
You have to blame the medical teams IMO. But I think they're kind of on a hiding to nothing.

Put yourself in Williams' (or any player for that matter) shoes. You know your knee is cooked. The club you're at knows that. Another club offers you 3 years on decent cash. Your current club can't commit to anything beyond your current contract with a year left to run. You'd have to take the contract and move clubs, surely?

Problem with all this is, though, is given the way trade week works you may only have a few hours to look at a bloke medically. So how do you ever get the full story? Especially if it's in both the incumbant club and the player's interest to get the trade done...?

Remi Moses
01-08-2011, 04:52 AM
It's hard to believe but Geelong had a win in this trade!
Picked up Christensen, Vardy, and Cowan(I think?)
Got involved when no resolution was made with Burguone going to Hawthorn!
Incredible

Sedat
01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
It's hard to believe but Geelong had a win in this trade!Picked up Christensen, Vardy, and Cowan(I think?)
Got involved when no resolution was made with Burguone going to Hawthorn!
Incredible
Being 3rd wheel to bring 2 reluctant clubs together in a major trade is something many people here (I wasn't one of them so can't take any credit) suggested we should have done with Carlton and WC in the Judd trade. The suggestion was to offer up pick 5 (WC wanted 2 high first round picks for Judd) to WC and take Josh Kennedy off Carlton's hands, so basically Carlton would have gotten Judd for the cost of pick 3 and Kennedy, WC would have gained picks 3 and 5 for losing Judd, and Dogs would have lost pick 5 (which ended up being Grant) and gained Kennedy.

Ozza
01-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't really see any issue with Williams or Hawthorn. There's been no deceit. Everybody knew Williams had a knee problem that would never be fixed. Doc Larkins reported regularly on it - so even the general public were aware.
Essendon had the opportunity to make their own assessment on him also.
So really - its their own stupid fault for trading him in.