PDA

View Full Version : Should we approach Lovett to bolster our midfield?

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:42 PM
bjMyb6mR0zU

Andrew Lovett has been found not guilty of rape. He has stated he would like to make a comeback to AFL. Should we be looking at bolstering our outside midfield running by drafting him?

Andrew has explosive pace and can turn a game around and with Cooney struggling to put together 22 games a season, he might just be someone who can play a few years for us.

Mofra
25-07-2011, 04:43 PM
St Kilda got rid of him after he came second last in the club time-trial, with only a rookie ruckman behind him.

Forget the court case, he makes Josh Hill sound like Matthew Boyd on the track.

OLD SCRAGGer
25-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I'd rather give Fev a chance before Lovett :eek:

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:46 PM
bjMyb6mR0zU

St Kilda got rid of him after he came second last in the club time-trial, with only a rookie ruckman behind him.

Forget the court case, he makes Josh Hill sound like Matthew Boyd on the track.

Not how I remember him.

w3design
25-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I guess we can't comment on the court case. It was not his first brush with the law or questionable behavior to women. A definite NO from me.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:54 PM
I guess we can't comment on the court case. It was not his first brush with the law or questionable behavior to women. A definite NO from me.

If you were offered Ben Cousins a few years ago what would you have said then?

Greystache
Having watched a lot of Essendon I can say with certainty he is a gun player, but absolutely no way would I even consider looking at him. The bloke is a cancer for a footy club.

LongWait
Fevola? Lovett? What sick, perverted parallel universe have I woken up in????

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Having watched a lot of Essendon I can say with certainty he is a gun player, but absolutely no way would I even consider looking at him. The bloke is a cancer for a footy club.

yes agree with your thoughts - I know you watch a lot of Essendon with your girl friend.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:59 PM

LW this is a forum where we discuss people's thoughts and gather their opinion and some may want to recruit Lovett, especially since our midfield lacks runners. BTW. on the Fervola thread 9 people so far want to recruit him.

Jasper
25-07-2011, 04:59 PM

He actually turns 30 at the end of this year and he's been out of the system for 2 seasons. Very unlikely anyone goes near him other than Sheeds @ GWS

bornadog
25-07-2011, 05:01 PM
He actually turns 30 at the end of this year and he's been out of the system for 2 seasons. Very unlikely anyone goes near him other than Sheeds @ GWS

Yes, I meant to say that myself, his age is against him.

w3design
25-07-2011, 05:06 PM
If you were offered Ben Cousins a few years ago what would you have said then?
Sorry, not sure what you mean? .. Is this question about, would we be happy to win a premiership with a guy who's a brilliant but troubled player? Lovett is not in that league of brilliance and the nature of his 'troubles' are much more disturbing to me.

I know not every bulldog player will be a great guy and family man, but I would be very opposed to seeing him in our colors.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 05:07 PM
LW this is a forum where we discuss people's thoughts and gather their opinion and some may want to recruit Lovett, especially since our midfield lacks runners. BTW. on the Fervola thread 9 people so far want to recruit him.

And nearly a hundred don't. All the poll proves is that you'll always find people to vote for anything, not that picking Fev is worth discussing (although thanks for putting the discussion point up to stimulate posting!). If you put up a poll saying 'will you eat crap for $10' I guarantee you there will be people voting yes (actually a real example haha). I only have peripheral knowledge of this from my mates involved in politics, but if we were designing a poll, a sample question with a 90% result in one direction would be a non-starter (ie. an example of a 'bad' question that would be unnecessary to ask as the result is already known). Also, using a basic bell curve, even a ridiculous question across a reasonable sample size will have people at the bottom end of the curve voting for it.. it's basically just a meaningless statistical reality. If 30 people said yes and 50 said no, then we're in an interesting debate. 100 vs. 9, not so much.

FWIW, though, I think the Lovett question is more interesting than the Fev one, but the early Essendon Lovett (the one in the video) is a far cry from the latter-day Essendon Lovett that was traded. A similar thing could be said of Mark Williams (Hawthorn/Essendon) who looked great five years ago but would be no good now. There are plenty more one/two-season wonders that could have great highlight reels but be of no real 'present day' use.

choconmientay
25-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Heheh, Fevola, Lovett .. ;) and what next ... maybe we should approach Didak and Milne to complete the team?!

On the serious note: A clear NOOOOOOOOOOO for me :)

LongWait
25-07-2011, 05:11 PM

I thought I was expressing my opinion - or didn't you understand my opinion?

Doc26
25-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Although I've got to say I had a laugh reading Long Wait's comment.

I didn't translate LongWait's comment as 'we shouldn't be raising it' for forum discussion. LW's no doubt interested in others opinions on it otherwise he/she wouldn't have opened the thread nor comment on it. My interpretation is LongWait's view is a no ;).

BD, I do love how your putting your hand up to be the messenger for topics that promote some good dialogue, and at times being hammered for it, even after you've conveyed your own view to the negative.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I thought I was expressing my opinion - or didn't you understand my opinion?

sorry I am barely functioning today and can't do any work due to long nights watching Cadel.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 05:15 PM
sorry I am barely functioning today and can't do any work due to long nights watching Cadel.

TELL ME ABOUT IT haha!!! My body is jet-lagged as it is, throw staying up to watch Cadel's ride on top of it, my legs don't know if it's Sunday or Thursday.

LongWait
25-07-2011, 05:16 PM

I also watched Cadel - last night was a pretty special moment in Australian sport. (Off topic I know, but I'd rather talk about Cadel than about Fevola or Lovett.)

Greystache
25-07-2011, 05:16 PM
FWIW, though, I think the Lovett question is more interesting than the Fev one, but the early Essendon Lovett (the one in the video) is a far cry from the latter-day Essendon Lovett that was traded. A similar thing could be said of Mark Williams (Hawthorn/Essendon) who looked great five years ago but would be no good now. There are plenty more one/two-season wonders that could have great highlight reels but be of no real 'present day' use.

That video was from the 2009 season, his last at Essendon. He was also outstanding in the second half of ANZAC day the same year. Whatever the name of the Carlton vs Essendon medal is, he won it in that game.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 05:18 PM
BD, I do love how your putting your hand up to be the messenger for topics that promote some good dialogue, and at times being hammered for it, even after you've conveyed your own view to the negative.

I would agree with this -- my first impression is that they are silly questions, but what's a forum without some 'controversial' topics, right? Also stimulates some interesting debate, and some hilarious comments.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 05:19 PM
That video was from the 2009 season, his last at Essendon. He was also outstanding in the second half of ANZAC day the same year. Whatever the name of the Carlton vs Essendon is, he won it in that game.

I stand corrected.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2011, 05:21 PM
We need to concentrate on finding and developing our own talent, an area we're struggling in and have for some time.

choconmientay
25-07-2011, 05:25 PM
he might just be someone who can play a few years for us.

Why do you think it will benefit us for the next few years as we are now back at the stage of development of a young list.

Clearly, with him we will lost a spot in the midfield to develop either Wallis, young Libba or Reid and surely we need to get games into them as quick as possible.

Will you retire somebody in the midfield for him? (Crossy?) Will you give up Callan to GWS to free up that spot?

And it is not sure Lovett will ever be back to his best. He's out of the game for a while and in my opinion he won't be able to get back.

To much negative thing to just say we should!

LongWait
25-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I would agree with this -- my first impression is that they are silly questions, but what's a forum without some 'controversial' topics, right? Also stimulates some interesting debate, and some hilarious comments.

These questions are borne out of desperation. If we were sitting entrenched in the top 4 now we wouldn't give Fevola nor Lovett a second thought.

BulldogBelle
25-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Fevola and Lovett? WTF?

Also we have had the Shermangate incident this season

We dont want to become a club that has players who display questionable behaviours towards women and minoritys.

Sockeye Salmon
25-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Lyle Lovett plays football?

Oh, Andrew Lovett.

I'd rather Lyle.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Lyle Lovett plays football?

Oh, Andrew Lovett.

I'd rather Lyle.

See, that's the kind of hilarity I was talking about. Well worth a thread.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 06:18 PM
See, that's the kind of hilarity I was talking about. Well worth a thread.

You can also avoid a thread and not reply or read it. ;)

chef
25-07-2011, 06:35 PM
No thanks, I would rather us take our medicine, bottom out and rebuild properly.

always right
25-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I also watched Cadel - last night was a pretty special moment in Australian sport. (Off topic I know, but I'd rather talk about Cadel than about Fevola or Lovett.)

or the bulldogs:rolleyes:

Dazza
25-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I wouldn't be against him training with us to prove he's committed.

GVGjr
25-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Talented player with plenty of pace but with no upside so I don't think he's a good fit for us.
One of the power clubs like Collingwood or West Coast might be very interested in him

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 07:36 PM
No from me, I would rather we concentrate on our rebuild and put time and energy into younger players. Having said that, I guess we are going to have perhaps a few older guys retiring next year???? But Lovett, no!