PDA

View Full Version : Morris, Cooney, Gilbee, Cross in doubt

w3design
25-07-2011, 06:55 PM
...according to ch 10 news.

Morris with a reported groin tear the most irreplaceable.

Coon possibly gone for the season.

Higgins also apparently has an injury.
:eek::eek::eek:

Dazza
25-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Bad news for Williamstown.

immortalmike
25-07-2011, 07:12 PM
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/07/25/western-bulldogs-injury-crisis/

Check out this article Coons, Dale, Crossy, Higgins, Gilbee, Murph, Jones and Dj all unlikely to play. With Griffen also suffering gastro last week. Fun and games to be had at the selectors table this week.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Season Over.
Well, it probably was before this, but this just puts the nail in the coffin...

DOG GOD
25-07-2011, 08:32 PM
If thats the case, then WC at $1.80 looks a VERY good bet atm...watch them plunge down to about $1.10 if all this eventuates.

Rocco Jones
25-07-2011, 08:45 PM
In situations where this is a couple of injuries the media tends to exagerate the next few ones. I am sure we have a couple in doubt but once you get to that mark, the media looks for anyone resembling sore and that's easy to find at this stage of the year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Jayzus, if all those blokes are out, it's going to get even uglier over the next few weeks.

Hotdog60
25-07-2011, 09:21 PM
I actually don't mind at this stage of the game, we can't make finals unless it's an act of God and he hasn't been looking our way this season.

Let's see what's in the basement for the rest of the year to see who can step up to the ground floor. Players on our list have been around for a couple of years that haven't debut let's see how they go.

If Tom Hill is fit, he's a tall forward give him a game or two in the next few weeks he's taller and heavier than Grant.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 09:35 PM
...according to ch 10 news.

Morris with a reported groin tear the most irreplaceable.

Coon possibly gone for the season.

Higgins also apparently has an injury.
:eek::eek::eek:

Surprise, surprise.

I have had a gut full of this bloke, would happily ship him off to another team.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I actually don't mind at this stage of the game, we can't make finals unless it's an act of God and he hasn't been looking our way this season.

Let's see what's in the basement for the rest of the year to see who can step up to the ground floor. Players on our list have been around for a couple of years that haven't debut let's see how they go.

If Tom Hill is fit, he's a tall forward give him a game or two in the next few weeks he's taller and heavier than Grant.

Really hope his body can stay together, was excited about drafting him & hopefully we see him get some senior games.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Surprise, surprise.

I have had a gut full of this bloke, would happily ship him off to another team.

If the right trade was offered we'd have to seriously consider it, but I think it's a bit dramatic. He's played some good games this year, but his inability to string a whole season together is a big concern, bigger going forwards.

That's a huge list of players in doubt. If it happens I suppose it's a good opportunity for some others to showcase what they have and either begin building towards a place in the 22 for 2012 or retaining a spot on the list in some cases.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 10:02 PM
If the right trade was offered we'd have to seriously consider it, but I think it's a bit dramatic. He's played some good games this year, but his inability to string a whole season together is a big concern, bigger going forwards.

I am over ''good games", for me it's not dramatic, he has had enough chances to prove himself & i can't see the value anymore.

I would happily take draft picks for him.

1eyedog
25-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Bob Murphy=big man:D

Daniel Cross=brilliant on-baller;)

Go_Dogs
25-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I am over ''good games", for me it's not dramatic, he has had enough chances to prove himself & i can't see the value anymore.

I would happily take draft picks for him.

Fair enough.

I guess my point is unless we get someone who is a proven very good - elite player, or a early draft pick he should be retained. He might never be the elite star we thought/hoped he would be, but he should still be a solid player over the journey.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Fair enough.

I guess my point is unless we get someone who is a proven very good - elite player, or a early draft pick he should be retained. He might never be the elite star we thought/hoped he would be, but he should still be a solid player over the journey.

He isn't elite, so don't expect to get that in return.

Finey described it well a few weeks ago, when he said "Higgins needs to drink a big glass of concrete & harden up." it's exactly how i feel as well.

Go_Dogs
25-07-2011, 10:24 PM
He isn't elite, so don't expect to get that in return.

Finey described it well a few weeks ago, when he said "Higgins needs to drink a big glass of concrete & harden up." it's exactly how i feel as well.

He's not, but he still is potentially. A lot of people had Griff just about written off not all that long ago.

On the hardness, I agree it can be frustrating, but I recall a lot of times Higgins goes hard and takes a big impact. I guess he appears less willing to play through injury, and is generally injured more than most.

We'll agree to disagree. Good discussion.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 10:26 PM
He's not, but he still is potentially. A lot of people had Griff just about written off not all that long ago.

On the hardness, I agree it can be frustrating, but I recall a lot of times Higgins goes hard and takes a big impact. I guess he appears less willing to play through injury, and is generally injured more than most.

We'll agree to disagree. Good discussion.

Agree :)

Just on the potential side of things, how long do you let a player live off that?

Go_Dogs
25-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Agree :)

Just on the potential side of things, how long do you let a player live off that?

That's the hardest part I guess. At some point potential has to turn into consistent performance - but at what age, or amount of games? I don't know. Maybe 75-100 games?

It's probably one reason why Gia has never been embraced as much as he should have by a lot of supporters. Some never reach the perceived potential and just become solid-good players. It isn't the end of the world, as long as you have enough A graders/consistent performers around them.

Ghost Dog
25-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Surprise, surprise.

That's a bit harsh.
I'm sure he didn't injure himself on purpose.
However, his lack of defensive efforts are rightly sledged.
Needs to have his head shaved, forced to live with Barry Hall in a one bedroom apartment.:D
In Maidstone.

GVGjr
25-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Surprise, surprise.

Come on G38. We can't preach club loyalty for the likes of Ward and others to follow and then be prepared to ship Higgins away because he gets injured. It's not by his design you know.

I get that it's frustrating but it's just a part of football.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 11:47 PM
That's a bit harsh.
I'm sure he didn't injure himself on purpose.
However, his lack of defensive efforts are rightly sledged.
Needs to have his head shaved, forced to live with Barry Hall in a one bedroom apartment.:D
In Maidstone.

Lol, love it!

Come on G38. We can't preach club loyalty for the likes of Ward and others to follow and then be prepared to ship Higgins away because he gets injured. It's not by his design you know.

I get that it's frustrating but it's just a part of football.

It could be a frustration thing on my part & possibly a tad harsh, but it's honestly how i feel some times with him. And the concrete remark wasn't solely based on him being injured a lot (i probably should have clarified that), but also other aspects of his game.

I know that he is somewhat of a flashy player & outside runner, but there comes a time when you need to get dirty for the team & do the tough stuff, i feel he doesn't do that near enough.

I look at Higgins and feel he has lived on so called reputation for far to long, most other players would have been moved on by now.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Although too harsh, Glove38's frustration is pretty well placed.

Injuries aren't a excuse - he just hasn't performed. We've babied him and regularly clutch at straws to find positives, but his form has been dreadful outside of 2 or 3 games.

Agree his attack on the ball/tackling is ordinary.

He's certainly a player that has lived off a false reputation for too long. The media always tend to label him a 'star', but he's been extremely disappointing.

BulldogBelle
26-07-2011, 09:15 AM
We need a couple flashy outside players like Higgins!

This is one of the first seasons he has played the majority of the season, providing he can get a full preseason under his belt there should be lots of room for improvement in 2012.

Not everyone can be like Boyd etc and play through injury - look at Bwian..

OLD SCRAGGer
26-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Surprise, surprise.

Let's take him out and shoot him... :mad: You make it sound like he gets injured on purpose

giaco
26-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Before the swans game, Higgins had a pretty good month or so. No coincidence, that when he got some match fitness and moved to half back we had our best games of the season.

As someone else said, I'm sure he's not getting injured deliberately - haven't seen any definitive statement that he's out this week anyway.

the banker
26-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Just don't overestimate what Missy can offer. He is a silky mover, but he will never be a Cooney.

His influence and ball use off half back was one of the reasons we strung a few wins together. I am not a big fan, but he deserves his place.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Let's take him out and shoot him... :mad: You make it sound like he gets injured on purpose

As i mentioned in another post, it wasn't meant to be based solely on his injuries.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I just hope they're legitimate injuries and not just being rested now that finals are pretty much out of the question.

chef
26-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I just hope they're legitimate injuries and not just being rested now that finals are pretty much out of the question.

How about getting them into surgery early so they can start preseason on time?

bornadog
26-07-2011, 07:55 PM

How about getting them into surgery early so they can start preseason on time?

While its mathematically possible to make finals, I doubt Eade or the club would just give up.