PDA

View Full Version : Time to Review the List - # 21 - 30

Lally Bamblett
28-08-2007, 09:47 PM
# 21 - Jason Akermanis - hasn't been the player everyone was hoping for, but has stood up a few times when the game was there to be won. If you believe Aka, he's finally over his leg troubles and next year will be his year with the Doggies. Possibly hasn't spent enough time up the ground as he should have his foot skills are as good as anyone's on our list. Could easily play for another 4 or 5 years as a small forward.

# 22 - Dylan Addison - Surprised a few people and really came out of nowhere earlier in the year and played some decent footy. Still lacks a bit of polish though. Shows no fear. Need to get him on the weights. I think the coaching staff would be rapt that he's played as much senior footy as he has in his first 2 years.

# 23 - Jordan McMahon - a real disappointment at times this year. I feel sorry for Jordy playing in the backline. I think a lot of us have had a vision of him as a hard running wingman throughout his time at the Dogs and if he's still with us next year I think it's time to get him up the ground. A bit of talk around that he wants to go back to SA - if this is the case, he'd definitely have some value on the trading table. No harm in enquring about Knights or Meesen from Adelaide or Salopek from Port as a direct swap.

# 24 - Michael West - still a development player and will be lucky to hang on. Injuries have not helped him at all.

# 25 - Ryan Hargrave - another solid season and he has really matured into a consistent player in the last 2 years. Has shown some attacking flair in his play this year which has rounded him off nicely. Doesn't get the kudos he deserves at times.

# 26 - Tim Walsh - was really a speculative pick in the draft a few years back, even for a 1st rounder. The jury is still out here as he simply hasn't played enough footy in his time at the Dogs. Could possibly be given one more crack at it next year and could bob up as a senior player if he gets over all his injury problems.

# 27 - Will Minson - I think he took a step backwards in most people's eyes this year. Really needs to start and do more around the ground and impose himself on games before he could be considered the team's # 1 ruckman. Needs to take the anger out of his game as it costs us far too many free kicks at times.

# 28 - Damien McCormack - struggled with injuries at times this year. Looked like he could play at the level last year, but I don't think he will ever consistently be in our best 22. I'd hang on to him as he is a type you need around the club to add depth to a list.

# 29 - Andrejs Everitt - a superstar in the making. Looked right at home from his first game in the seniors. Always has plenty of time and is not afraid to back himself. A pre-season on the weights will do him no harm and I think you'll see him settle down as a running half back flanker or wingman next year.

# 30 - Matthew Robbins - unfortunately, the scapegoat of 2007. Certainly suffered from the improvement of Higgins and the arrival of Aka. He'd be in my team every week not only for his goalkicking (remember he did kick 45 goals last year) but for his defensive pressure in the forward line as well which is a very big weakness of ours at the moment.

bornadog
29-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Walsh - agree, he has had a shocking run of injuries so hasn't played much Footy, but at 22 years of age and 196cm, he deserves another year.

Minson - We forget that he is still young and inexperienced. He will mature and become a good player for us.

Robbins - Unfortunately his defensive pressure was also missing this year.

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 12:20 AM
One of looking at this is with each bracket, which players would get a get a gig with a top 4 team? (Don't get hung up over the actual teams and needs)

None. Everitt in a couple of year's time.

Twodogs
29-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Aker would.

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Aker would.

Again, I dunno whether a 2007 model Aker would get honestly get a top 4 gig.

westdog54
29-08-2007, 07:45 AM

I tend to agree. He's been nowhere near his best, which, considering he's still produced a few matchwinning performances, isn't such a bad thing.

I think we need to be playing in finals for Aker's true value to come out, finals experience is a big commodity in football.

Addison has surprised me also, made some good progress and been given a couple of big jobs, but his skills still lack polish, and this is one of the things holding him back.

To delist Walsh this year after retaining him last year would make absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. Give the boy a full preseason, get some football into him and make your judgements this time next year.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I agree that McMahon needs to be free of the defensive burdens - I've been calling for it for most of the year. If we could play say, Gilbee, Hargrave, Murphy as backline runners, McMahon could play wing/forward. His leg speed would be helpful in getting to the contest and providing defensive pressure out of our forward line. I personally think it has some merit.

If we do trade him for the reason he wants to return to Adelaide, Messen, Salopek, Surjan, Reilly, or Knights would be the Crows/Port players I'd like to look at.

The Underdog
29-08-2007, 10:59 AM
(Also a newbie, Hi all)

A couple of points on a pretty good overall assessment Lally:

Aker - while he has tremendous footskills, this year they've been erratic at best. Some sublime left foot passes in the Collingwood win were a highlight but some absolutely ordinary work in some other crucial situations has been a disappointment. Overall though his efforts in the Collingwod and Port wins plus a few others have been worth it.

McMahon - amazing to see where he was a year ago as compared to this year. Would also like to see him moved up the ground if we hold onto him, don't know what his trade currency would be at the moment

Walsh - be intersted to see what they do with him, especially if Grant stays. Will depend on how they view him internally and what they can trade for but I reckon he's probably 50-50 right now.

Everitt - love him, cool as ice

Robbins - When he had a shot he really didn't provide the defensive pressure he used to, which kept him in the team when he wasn't kicking goals. Have no problem with not playing him on form this year, but a shame to see a good servant go.

Twodogs
29-08-2007, 11:07 AM
(Also a newbie, Hi all)

Welcome aboard Underdog.

Bulldog Revolution
29-08-2007, 12:41 PM
McMahon, Hargrave and Aker would get games in top sides and Everitt would be highly sort after.

Agreed

Aker a lot of the time is just too smart for our players.
Hargrave has had a superb season under a great deal of adversity, when Gilbee was injured it highlighted for me what a brilliant kick he is, Id like to see if he can play for longer spells on a wing.
McMahons deficiencies would be covered better in a top team.
Everitt is blue chip talent that could be anything

Twodogs
29-08-2007, 12:57 PM

He would. Like BR said sometimes he's so far ahead of our blokes with his vision it's not funny.