PDA

View Full Version : Time to Review the List - # 31 - 44

Lally Bamblett
28-08-2007, 10:28 PM
# 31 - Josh Hill - I was as surprised as anyone to see him play senior footy this year, but after watching Werribee a few times, he could be the real gem from our draftees last year. Just has that something about him. Another of our young guys who needs to hit the weights hard in the pre-season.

# 32 - Andrew McDougall - a disappointment no doubt through injuries and lack of form. The boy can play and showed some really good signs in the preseason and then we reverted to the midget forward line set up which did him no favours. Looks completely lost in the backline for now, but could become a valuable contributor down there if given some careful coaching. Gives us a big body somewhere on the ground which we need.

# 33 - Brennan Stack - I think he will make it, but will need to play senior footy more consistently at Werribee next year. Very quick, but another one who's lightly framed.

# 34 - Wayde Skipper - could well have saved himself the past month. Another bloke who can play, but just needs that bit of self confidence which has come out a bit at times this year. A little short to be a # 1 ruckman, but he does have a good leap and has benefited from some good coaching in this area in the last couple of years. Worth hanging on to as none of our other ruckmen have staked their claim for the # 1 mantle.

# 35 - Stephen Tiller - has come out of nowhere in the 2nd half of this year to play senior footy when not too many would have expected it in 2007. Hopefully he can stay injury free as he's been ok in the senior team. Very strong on the lead and is a decent kick when he connects properly. Again, another of our younger guys who is very slight of frame. Worth persisting with for another 12 months as he could be a good foil for Johnno in the forward line.

# 36 - Brian Harris - great to see him finally maturing and realising his talent and become one of the better defenders in the competition. Should go close to winning the B & F. His marking has been a highlight and he's found an ability to be able to stand his ground in a contest in light of the new hands in the back rule. With Williams, gives our defence a decent looking backbone for a few years.

# 37 - Cameron Wight - showed some signs earlier in the year that he was on the cusp of becoming a regular senior player, before falling away, after a good finish to 06 where he realised he could play at the level and began to back himself. Looks like he'll be another Leon Cameron in the sense that no matter how many weights he does, he won't get any bigger. The coaching staff need to work out whether he is a defender or third string ruckman. I think he can become a solid tall athletic defender.

# 38 - Dale Morris - Mr. Reliable. Continually matched up against bigger, stronger opponents and consistently does the job. Claimed a couple of decent scalps along the way this year. If Williams or Wight can stand up as tall options in defence, it can release Morris to a flank where he is much better suited.

# 39 - Malcolm Lynch - Flashed in and out of his couple of games and possibly played senior footy before he was really ready. Looks as though he may make it, but he's another who needs to get on the weights in a big way.

# 40 - Jarrod Harbrow - Richmond's indecision was our gain here. Richmond were keen on him, but were unsure of his dedication to his footy. Looked right at home at times in his 10 games but at other times his decision making let him down a little. Thought he tried too hard to do the team thing at times. A good preseason could see him step up and challenge for a regular place in the team in 2008.

# 41 - Marty Pask - thought at times he deserved to played senior footy this year after showing he as better than VFL standard on many occasions. Don't know if he'll be around next year.

# 42 - Gavin Hughes - lightning quick, but has a bit of a way to go before he plays senior footy. Worth persisting with him as a rookie for another 12 months.

# 43 - Brett Montgomery - poor Monty, that bump from Brodie Holland really screwed him over and he possibly should have given it away at the end of last year. Never ever should have been traded away from the Dogs in the first place.

# 44 - Paul O'Shea - bit of a smokey with a decent leap and developing frame. A bonus if he could play senior footy next year. Another 12 months down at Werribee and some time in the gym will be beneficial.

southerncross
28-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Well done LB. Terrific posts. By the way I think McDougall has looked good in defence albeit with limited opportunities in the seniors.

hargs37
28-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Interesting when they took Oshea they rated him as a future top 10 pick that was availiable this year. Will be interesting to keep an eye on him. Unfotunately I live in the outer east and am involved in some local footy, so i dont get to see any werribee games. How has he travelled this year?

southerncross
28-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Interesting when they took Oshea they rated him as a future top 10 pick that was availiable this year. Will be interesting to keep an eye on him. Unfotunately I live in the outer east and am involved in some local footy, so i dont get to see any werribee games. How has he travelled this year?

Progressed from the 2nds to the seniors in the last couple of games after a string of solid performances. There is a few Werribee threads that you might find interesting.

bornadog
29-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Actually I was surprised by the size of Wight on Sunday, I think he has put on a bit of weight. Does any one agree?

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 12:22 AM
One of looking at this is with each bracket, which players would get a get a gig with a top 4 team? (Don't get hung up over the actual teams and needs)

Here, Harris and Morris, Harbrow possibly in a couple of years time.

Twodogs
29-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Monty aside that's largely a bracket that's based on potential. Skipper and Harris are the only players there who were at the club before Eade came, they are certainly the only players to have plated senior footy pre-Eade. All of them are under 25 and three are rookies.

I reckon a better question would be "Which players would be out of place on a top four team list" and, maybe Skipper and the rookies aside*, IMO none of them would look out of place.

*Except Harbrow-if he were at an interstate club the media would be all over him.

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 12:49 AM
I reckon a better question would be "Which players would be out of place on a top four team list" and, maybe Skipper and the rookies aside*, IMO none of them would look out of place.

Wight, McDougall and Tiller?

(As a matter of record here, I love Harbrow*)

* Footy love

westdog54
29-08-2007, 07:56 AM

(As a matter of record here, I love Harbrow*)

* Footy love

Yeah, Footy love. We believe you;)

For me Harbrow ranks a close second to Everitt as our young recruit of the year. Has 'excitement' written all over him, and I was very surprised (and impressed) to see the defensive side of him develop in recent weeks. He will be a good player.

Hopefully I'm not working on Weekends next year and can see a bit more of Werribee. I can just about walk to the ground (its a long walk but I love walking) and I hear nothing but good news about Stack, O'Shea and Hill, and where they're at with their development. I agree with Lally. Lynch, and IMO Hill, both played senior footy before they were ready. Hill is going to be a damn good player, and Lynch has shown some exciting signs also.

I'm rapt that Tiller is playing senior footy, and has been earning his spot. He had a dirty day on Sunday but so did plenty of others. He'd done some good things up until then.

Like Aker, I think Doogs' best is yet to come. He needs more coaching as a defender but has plenty of agility and natural ability.

IMO if Hughes deserves another year as a Rookie then so does Pask. He's been pretty solid in defence and I think he has some development left in him. His focus over the pre-season needs to be to sprint training. Perhaps the club should be looking at setting him up with a professional sprint coach over summer?

All in all, wonderful work Lally, great first up contribution:D

LostDoggy
29-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Actually I was surprised by the size of Wight on Sunday, I think he has put on a bit of weight. Does any one agree?
Been saying that for 5 years now. He can stay that weight if he learnt to use his body better. He is so easily out muscled and will never be a KP or a ruck if doesn't get more strength or smarter.

Twodogs
29-08-2007, 11:29 AM

I wouldnt be suprised to see any of them on West Coasts/Geelongs/Hawthorns list.

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I wouldnt be suprised to see any of them on West Coasts/Geelongs/Hawthorns list.

List or first 22? - there's a big difference.

Maybe I'm harsh, but IMHO the majority of our players aren't top 4 material now. Some like Everitt and Harbrow will develop into that but aren't there now.

Which makes me think that any quick fix/trade first round pick is the wrong path to go down.

Twodogs
29-08-2007, 12:45 PM
List or first 22? - there's a big difference.

List.

I think we pay to much attention to what our best 22 is. IMO the whole of the list is more important than the 22 players on the team we put out each week. The team changes on a weekly basis depending on the make up of other side we play-the list only changes once a year. It's the strength of the whole list that signifies how a club is travelling.

Maybe I'm harsh, but IMHO the majority of our players aren't top 4 material now. Some like Everitt and Harbrow will develop into that but aren't there now.

Not a harsh assessment at all, but every club has a group of players that are developing. Our developing players are as good as any in the AFL. Whether we are developing them properly is another argument for a different thread.

Which makes me think that any quick fix/trade first round pick is the wrong path to go down.

Depends on the offer. If Brisbane offered us Jonathan Brown then I'd take it.;)

bornadog
29-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Been saying that for 5 years now. He can stay that weight if he learnt to use his body better. He is so easily out muscled and will never be a KP or a ruck if doesn't get more strength or smarter.

Wight = 22 years old, 25 games so he has alot to learn, but will come with experience. He is fast, tall and not afraid to go in hard.

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2007, 09:45 AM

The thing that stands out for me, and perhaps the point you are really trying to make is *Whilst we have all of these players who appear talented and would get a game for the top teams, why is that when you put them all together for us they are so bad?