PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 things from the Bulldogs in 2011 that I didn't see coming

angelopetraglia
28-07-2011, 05:54 PM
1. West Coast Demolition
West Coast finished last in 2010. We played in a prelim final. To think that they could belt us by 123 points is still difficult to comprehend. I know we don’t have a great track record against them in Perth, but please, how the hell does that happen?

2. Lake plays more game for Williamstown than the Bulldogs
All Australian two years running. His ability to take big marks from opposition kicks in our defensive 50m was incredible last year. When the opposition kicked long into their forward line last year, we didn't need to panic, Brian would get it. That your most influential player would play more games at Willy than the Bulldogs is staggering. Will he ever recapture that 2010 form?

3. One win in eight games (R5 to R12)
I didn’t buy the pundits predicting Premiership glory for the Bulldogs in the pre-season. Yet I definitely did not see us as a side that would go through eight rounds of footy for a solitary win (and in that solitary win concede 18 goals!). I know we have had a perfect storm full of excuses but that form line is ordinary for any team let alone one that has played in three successive prelim finals.

4. Sherman’s brain fade
Hello Justin, wake up its 2011. Where the hell have you been living for your entire adult life? The stupidity and ignorance of his actions against the Gold Coast brought embarrassment to the entire club. What a nuff nuff. Didn’t think this was possible from anyone at the AFL let alone from the Bulldogs.

5. Tommy’s improvement
I was really starting to worry about Tommy. But he has surprised me this year. Have never seen him look so comfortable, like he finally belongs and he has really taken his marking to another level. His game against Carlton was superb. Most probably he has benefited from Brian’s absence and the additional responsibility. Great to see, I still think he has plenty of improvement left.

6. Adam’s Knee
We knew his knee was not 100% but I didn’t think it would restrict him so much in 2011. In 2008, in full flight (especially the first half of the season) he was unbelievable. He had it all. Toughness on the inside, blistering pace on the outside, the ability to run all day and use the footy. Hopefully one day we get that Adam back, the real Adam Cooney, but I don’t like our chances.

7. Liam Jones’ marking ability
To be fair we did see glimpses of this last year. But gee whiz, the boy has got a beautiful set of hands. Has taken some absolute ripper pack marks this year and his hands on the lead at full speed have been Dunstall like. Hopefully we see a similar improvement in his decision making and kicking (however unlikely that is).

8. Being level in the wet 5 mins into the last quarter and lose by 48 pts!
Yes, the Pies are a bloody good footy team. Yes, we were outplayed all night. But to think that you can be even stevens 5 minutes into the last quarter and allow 8 successive goals in 18 minutes in soaking rain (especially when they had only kicked 7 goals for the match to that point). Did not think that was possible.

9. The Doll House
Where did this kid come from? It still amazes me how year after year recruiters overlook small guys. How does Dahlhaus survive to pick 22 in the Rookie Draft? Good pace, great tackling and most importantly, fantastic tenacity. The kid can play and has been a revelation. Worth going to the footy just to watch him have a crack.

10. Hong Kong antics
We had such a clean record off field for so long; this probably should not have been a shock. But it is something we have just not had to concern ourselves about at the Bulldogs (i.e. player indiscretions off field). We have such a good line of responsible leaders (e.g. Grant, Johnson, Smith, Darcy, Boyd etc.). So when you see your best player riding an esky lid down a crowded Hong Kong street on YouTube, it does come as a bit surprise.

LostDoggy
28-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Great thread, great read!

[Rest of post deleted]

1eyedog
28-07-2011, 06:18 PM

Re: no.4 -- I'm sad to say that the answer to your question is "Queensland", as socially regressive a place (with exceptions of course!) as I've had the dubious pleasure of visiting.

Yep I was personally told by another player that he was a bit of an air head.

bornadog
28-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I like your list of ten, although I suspect number ten happens every footy trip every year, but this time it was filmed and published.

Out of the ten, the one I would rank the biggest surprise is number 2. We knew he had three operations but we thought he would just slot back in and be his old self.

the banker
28-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Five weeks out lets hope there is something positive to slip into this list. Great summary of the year. Brian #1 and Cooney #2 our biggest stories I think. Changed everything for us.

w3design
28-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Loved your list the West Coast loss was the worst i can remember in recent times just left all dogs supporters searching very hard too why.
The one thing that got me back up and going the little man Luke Dahlhaus A reason too come to the footy should have got a rising star nomination and other coaches have tagged him the last 2 weeks .

AndrewP6
28-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Good idea for a thread!

I certainly didn't see our slide happening (as quickly or dramatically)

Go_Dogs
28-07-2011, 10:53 PM

Re: no.4 -- I'm sad to say that the answer to your question is "Queensland", as socially regressive a place (with exceptions of course!) as I've had the dubious pleasure of visiting.

But he's Tasmanian isn't he?

AndrewP6
28-07-2011, 10:55 PM
But he's Tasmanian isn't he?

Yes he is. Let's not start on Taswegians ;)

w3design
28-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Very good thoughtful post. What an unpredictable game footy is and how quickly one or two problems can balloon out to turn a season into a nightmare.

westdog54
29-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Pretty good list but I would have Markovic's rise in there, probably ahead of the Hong Kong antics.

gohardorgohome
29-07-2011, 07:41 AM
I feel that generally in football things are never as bad as they seem and things are never really as good as they seem.

angelopetraglia
29-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I feel that generally in football things are never as bad as they seem and things are never really as good as they seem.

Agree. We have a great capacity to either overplay or underplay any scenario, rather than just play it on merit, especially the Footy media.

Dancin' Douggy
29-07-2011, 10:12 AM
One thing I didn't expect was a non contribution from J. Grant.

LostDoggy
29-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I didn't expect the level of vitriol from our supporters this year when everything went south. Some of the incidents I've witnessed this year from our supporters, I can honestly say have shaken me to the core. I've always bragged to opposition fans about our supporters' ability to stick fat, and this year our fans have let the club down as much as the club let them down, if not more.

LostDoggy
29-07-2011, 11:26 AM
RE #4: Pearce Hanley was at my sons footy training the other day and after seeing my boys WB jumper said something to the effect of "the best thing the Dogs have done this year was take Justin Sherman"... Something tells me they were a bit sick of him.

LostDoggy
29-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Didn't see us finishing outside the 8. Would have been 2nd or third team you'd have had for sure.

Disagree with # 7. He's not at the stage of blowing us away yet. Still drops many he should be taking especially on the move.

LostDoggy
29-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Great post and like others, I just didn't see the slide coming this year...... I was pretty much up and about about finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th and perhaps, just perhaps, playing in a granny! As someone else has posted, it's amazing how seemingly small things can so heavily change the shape of a season (cumulative effect I think!).

LostDoggy
29-07-2011, 05:11 PM
For some reason I thought this year we'd see an Ablettless/Bomberless Geelong finally have the kind of slide the Dogs have had.
I remember seeing the so called experts predictions for the season before round #1
All had Dogs finishing top Two with a few picking the Dogs as Premiers. I remember Tim Lane not having the Dogs in his top 8 and thinking "He's dreaming!"

LongWait
29-07-2011, 05:19 PM
I didn't see us missing the finals. That is a totally unexpected catastrophy and clearly number 1 on my list.

Chicago1
29-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I was positive that I'd be flying back to Melbourne to see us play in a Grand Final. I even took out a United Airlines credit card with 50000 bonus miles to use. :( Maybe next year...

LostDoggy
01-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Please dont bother coming back you arrogant wanker

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Please dont bother coming back you arrogant wanker

[Post deleted]

LongWait
03-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Will be more than happy to oblige... don't normally make it a habit of revisiting arse-ends of the world.

Displays of immaturity and ignorance on this scale are usually reserved for Big Footy.

bornadog
03-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Displays of immaturity and ignorance on this scale are usually reserved for Big Footy.

Lantern is better than that and should know better.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Lantern is better than that and should know better.

True. Both comments rescinded and apologies to Queenslanders (especially Greggles) for any offence caused.

Now Tasmanians, on the other hand... kiddding!

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 04:51 PM
True. Both comments rescinded and apologies to Queenslanders (especially Greggles) for any offence caused.

Now Tasmanians, on the other hand... kiddding!

Go for it.
I'm a Tasmanian living in QLD and really don't mind the banter. It's all fun.
To me it is more offensive how "thin skinned" people are now a days. If the biggest problem in your life is that you are on the receiving end of some jokes about where you are from then your life must not be that bad.

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Go for it.
I'm a Tasmanian living in QLD and really don't mind the banter. It's all fun.
To me it is more offensive how "thin skinned" people are now a days. If the biggest problem in your life is that you are on the receiving end of some jokes about where you are from then your life must not be that bad.

Thanks dude. :)

Dancin' Douggy
15-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Backline 2010.
Harbrow. Lake. Morris.
Hargreave. Williams. Gilbee.

Backline 2011.
gone. gone. gone(now)
gone. gone. gone.

I didn't expect that.

chef
15-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Yep I was personally told by another player that he was a bit of an air head.

Aker once said he had the IQ of a plant.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Backline 2010.
Harbrow. Lake. Morris.
Hargreave. Williams. Gilbee.

Backline 2011.
gone. gone. gone(now)
gone. gone. gone.

I didn't expect that.

This.

I certainly didn't see Markovic and Mulligan being our two first choice tall backmen in 2011.

Dancin' Douggy
16-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Aker once said he had the IQ of a plant.

To be brutally honest, sometimes he plays as if he does.

westdog54
22-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Didn't see all of our senior list with one exception getting a game this year.

Didn't see Jason Tutt kicking 3 goals from his first 3 kicks, on his way to 26 disposals and almost 150 Supercoach points.

AndrewP6
22-08-2011, 08:38 PM
I didn't see Rodney Eade being out the door before the end of the season.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Re Sherman - you can't look that good and have brains aswell! ;-)

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Re Sherman - you can't look that good and have brains aswell! ;-)

That's gold!! :D

1eyedog
24-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I was positive that I'd be flying back to Melbourne to see us play in a Grand Final. I even took out a United Airlines credit card with 50000 bonus miles to use. :( Maybe next year...

How long have you supported the Dogs for?

Chicago1
25-08-2011, 03:43 AM
This is my 34th year of membership. Like some on this board I suffered through the dark days of the late 70s and early 80s standing in the pouring rain at the Western Oval, the Junction Oval, Moorabbin, Victoria Park, Windy Hill and wouldn't change it for the world.