View Full Version : Our top 4 quality players

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 01:01 AM
A companion thread to the list threads.

I reckon it's only:

Murphy, Johnno and Gilbee

Griffen, Cooney & Higgins

Harris and Morris

If I'm anywhere close to right, we have a lot of holes.

bornadog
30-08-2007, 09:51 AM
You don't rate Cross?

We also have future Top 4 Quality coming through with Everrit, Williams and Harbrow.

Yes we have alot of holes as this year proved it, we are BOTTOM 4.

Dry Rot
30-08-2007, 11:26 AM
You don't rate Cross?

I do rate him, but I think he is a tad behind players like Kerr and Kirk at the moment. He'd walk into 12 sides but I don't think he'd crack the top 4 sides.

Given his improvement, that could change over the next couple of seasons.

westdog54
30-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I do rate him, but I think he is a tad behind players like Kerr and Kirk at the moment. He'd walk into 12 sides but I don't think he'd crack the top 4 sides.

Given his improvement, that could change over the next couple of seasons.

I'm going to defend DR here. For mine Cross' doesn't do enough damage by foot. You look at guys like Kerr and Judd, they can pretty much do it all.

Dry Rot
30-08-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm going to defend DR here. For mine Cross' doesn't do enough damage by foot. You look at guys like Kerr and Judd, they can pretty much do it all.

Agreed and thanks. No-one doubts his courage, but I think he isn't quite "elite" yet.

bornadog
30-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Agreed and thanks. No-one doubts his courage, but I think he isn't quite "elite" yet.

The only midfield player that may become like a Kerr, Judd, Cousins is Cooney but he has to be more consistent. Agree Cross isnot quite elite.

Dry Rot
30-08-2007, 09:41 PM
The only midfield player that may become like a Kerr, Judd, Cousins is Cooney but he has to be more consistent. Agree Cross isnot quite elite.

Don't think Cross is quite Kirk yet either.

Bulldog Revolution
31-08-2007, 01:05 PM
I posted this on another thread, and would be interested to see what people think:

*Whilst we have a lot of players who appear talented and would get a game for the top 4teams, why is that when you put them all together for us they are so bad?

*So is it we massively overrate the talent on our list?

or

*Has is massively underperformed?

Go_Dogs
31-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Underperformed this year, drastically, but over performed last year at times. We're ahead of where we finished this year for mine, but not as high as we'd all hoped for in the pre-season. We're probably a middle of the table team I'd say.

Talent-wise, we have a lot. Let us hope for a team orientated game plan next year, and a more arrogant, running style to show off our talents.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2007, 08:23 PM

I think Griffen will be a better more consistent player then Cooney. It would be very interesting to see these two in West Coast or Geelong. I bet they would absolutely slaughter sides.

We really need both Cooney & Griffen to reach the elite level of Kerr/Judd/Cousins. They have a long way to go, though.

Dry Rot
31-08-2007, 11:24 PM
I think Griffen will be a better more consistent player then Cooney. It would be very interesting to see these two in West Coast or Geelong. I bet they would absolutely slaughter sides.

We really need both Cooney & Griffen to reach the elite level of Kerr/Judd/Cousins. They have a long way to go, though.

And we really need our version of Kerr, who I reckon is more important than Cousins or Judd and the type of player we really need.

Bulldog Revolution
01-09-2007, 10:49 AM

I would add Higgins to that mix, and then echo your thoughts - they have a long way to go

hargs37
01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I think we are being a little over the top. How many teams in the league have guys like a Kerr Judd or Cousins. None! More to the point we don't tolerate the drug cheating barstards but besides that no one has those types on their list. Lets get a full preseason into Hahn, Cooney and whoever missed shit loads and add a fit Minson, Murphy and any one else. My point is 12 months ago we were supposed to be the shizznee, according to most bulldog supporers. Now we're back to where we were under rohde. The fact is we aren't. Everitt, Higgins, Harbrow, Williams,etc. We haven't had our best but it certai9nly hasn't been our worst! We actually might get over the line tommorrow for Darc and Robbo. I hope so!

Dry Rot
01-09-2007, 11:09 PM
I think we are being a little over the top. How many teams in the league have guys like a Kerr Judd or Cousins. None!

OK, but my post was about what top 4 team players we have. Implicitly it also asked the question how far we are off being a top 4 side?

So look at it individually, or say each team's midfields as a group.

IMHO, we are well off the mark now in in 2007.

Bulldog Revolution
02-09-2007, 07:43 PM
OK, but my post was about what top 4 team players we have. Implicitly it also asked the question how far we are off being a top 4 side?

So look at it individually, or say each team's midfields as a group.

IMHO, we are well off the mark now in in 2007.

Thats exactly what it looks like DR - its been a horrible finish to the year, and a very disappointing year overall - it now seems very clear that the players, coaches and most of our supporters got carried away with where we are at, at the end of last year.

BUT I do think we need to keep it in perspective, although its easier not to, and most of us our gutted with our year.

We still have a lot of emerging talent with huge upside (Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Higgins) and have introduced three youngsters (Everitt, Williams and Harbrow) who all could be amazing players. If you add to them to West, Cross, Gilbee, Morris, Murphy, Harris and Hargrave we still have plenty to work with. We have enough young players who could develop into super AFL players but we need to load up again in the draft, and not look for quick fixes.

westdog54
04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Thats exactly what it looks like DR - its been a horrible finish to the year, and a very disappointing year overall - it now seems very clear that the players, coaches and most of our supporters got carried away with where we are at, at the end of last year.

BUT I do think we need to keep it in perspective, although its easier not to, and most of us our gutted with our year.

We still have a lot of emerging talent with huge upside (Cooney, Ray, Griffen, Higgins) and have introduced three youngsters (Everitt, Williams and Harbrow) who all could be amazing players. If you add to them to West, Cross, Gilbee, Morris, Murphy, Harris and Hargrave we still have plenty to work with. We have enough young players who could develop into super AFL players but we need to load up again in the draft, and not look for quick fixes.

Of the names in that paragraph, the thing that concerns me are that the only KP prospects in that group are Harris, Williams, and possibly Everitt.

This is an area which we may need to address both in trade week and the draft, to provide for next year as well as the next 5 years.