PDA

View Full Version : Round #19 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
30-07-2011, 11:45 AM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or even a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this afternoons game against the West Coast Eagles.

GVGjr
30-07-2011, 06:52 PM
A few hits and misses today. Let's hear your thoughts.

comrade
30-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Slap to Schofield. I thought he came on and gave us some real zip. Hopefully he gets a full game next week (and for the rest of the year).

Hate to say it, but sledge to Hooper. He just isn't an AFL quality player. I'd much prefer to give game time to the likes of Howard or Tutt.

Dog54
30-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Slaps
Boyd absolute will and determination dragged team along on his shouldets!
Murphy gee he is superb

Sledges

Mulligan disgrace to the jumper

Hooper back to the VFL

Razor ray! Owes us a few

GVGjr
30-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Slap to Dahlhaus for his continued 2nd efforts.
Slap to Eade and the guys for the fight back.
Sledge to some poor decision making and some lazy arse kicking into the man of the mark.

always right
30-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Sledge:
Mulligan....really not up to it in the first half
Sherman...stop trying to kick goals along the ground. You get 1 in 10.

Slap:
Mulligan...stuck at it in the second half and was pretty solid. Don't think he's going to make it....but certainly not "a disgrace to the jumper"
Murphy.....how exciting is it whoever he has the ball in his hands

azabob
30-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Slap - Murphy and his run, boy he was great today
Slap - Luke D and Schofield. Kept running and kept trying.

Sledge - Hooper. Reality is he is just not good enough.

Mantis
Slap - Murf - love your work.

Slap - Hall & Gia - good finishing.

Sledge - Hooper & Mulligan - not up to it.

Sledge - First 1/2 - Really poor, glad we showed some fight because early on we were as bad as it gets.

LostDoggy
Slap : Murphy , pure class , easily the best player we had on the park

Slap : Young Jones,s kick to hit Gia on the chest , the goal gives us the lead

Sledge : The umpiring decision which gifted Darling a goal , rubbish

Sledge : The MC , Howard should have played instead of Griffen , he is tired and sore , 12 possessions with a disposal efficiency of 58%

Ghost Dog
30-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Slap: Callan Ward. Gives us the pep we need and so composed

Slap: Easton wood. got caught a few times but takes the game on

Slap: Stacky! nice goal. Kick the thing.

Sledge: Umpiring, see above

Sledge: Our first 2 quarters. COME ON

Sedat
30-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Slap and sledge to Barlow - 1st half was woeful (Fumbles would be a good nickname) but 2nd half workrate and repeat efforts were fantastic. Had a hand in almost every goal kicked in the 3rd.

Hoops, Mulligan and Stacky aren't up to this level. Stacky's ring-a-rosy effort late in the 3rd gave West Coke a sniff and Le Cras' goal deflated our tyres.

Sledge to Roughy - he eas given a masterclass in what hard running and repeat efforts are all about from Cox. One passage in the 3rd, Dalh had to contest a mark against Cox beacuse Roughy didn't try to make the contest.

Mantis
30-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Sledge: MC - playing hooper with such tall opposition. What was that about?

Everyone is taller than him so your point isn't relevant.

Greystache
30-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Slaps

Dahlhaus- Kept us in it early on
Murphy- Composed ball use out of defence and run.
Wood- Getting better every week.

Sledges

MC- Hooper, Stack, Mulligan aren't AFL standard, not their fault, they shouldn't have been selected. Why did Sherman come straight in after missing the past 2 weeks with injury?
Piss poor first half- Just not good enough
Kicking into the man on the mark- We must have broken the AFL record this season.

Doc26
30-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Slap and sledge to Barlow - 1st half was woeful (Fumbles would be a good nickname) but 2nd half workrate and repeat efforts were fantastic.

Yep. Cooked him at half time and in some ways should eat my words for how he turned around his second half. His endurance has a fair bit to do with it.

Hooper, Sherman and Mulligan are not up to it.
I'm right off any love for Sherman, simply bludges his way around the park.

Although scratchy I've got to slap Shaggy for just slotting in and getting on with business.

LostDoggy
30-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Mulligan, hooper, etc arent up to it but I'm not sure many others at Willy are. MC caught between rock and a hard place. We turned over 8 players from last week.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Slaps

Dahlhaus- Kept us in it early on
Murphy- Composed ball use out of defence and run.
Wood- Getting better every week.

Sledges

MC- Hooper, Stack, Mulligan aren't AFL standard, not their fault, they shouldn't have been selected. Why did Sherman come straight in after missing the past 2 weeks with injury?
Piss poor first half- Just not good enough
Kicking into the man on the mark- We must have broken the AFL record this season.

Sherman was out with foot in mouth disease. Wasn't injured. He did some decent things today BUT Kick it in the air FGdness Sake!

Rance Fan
30-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Slap - Murph - walks around players - class!
Slap - Baz - please dont go!
Picken, Wood, Dahlhaus played really well!

Sledge - lacklastre first half
Sledge - what was the call late on Picken for?
Hooper, Mulligan, Barlow poor at times.
I think Stack was ok!

Greystache
30-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Sherman was out with foot in mouth disease. Wasn't injured. He did some decent things today BUT Kick it in the air FGdness Sake!

Yes he was, he missed the last 2 weeks at Williamstown with injury.

azabob
30-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Sherman was injured and missed two weeks.

G-Mo77
30-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Slap - Dahlhaus. I didn't think a first year player could change the team so much. His energy is infectious!

Slap - Gia. He may get a week for it but loved him clipping Selwood in a little skirmish. Selwood is a weak prick who hides behind the rules to protect his arse.

Slap - Baz. Please retract your retirment.

Sledge - First half. It was deplorable!

Sledge - Sherman. He may have had a bit of pressure on him today but sheesh, ordinary, very ordinary.

Sledge - Markovic's omission. OK I'm happy to give Mulligan a go to see were he is at and to his credit he did bounce back from a horrible first half but I would love to hear how they can justify his omission. :confused:

Flamethrower
30-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Slap - Dahlhaus - just never gives up. Should be an inspiration to a few others.

Slap - The way the team lifted after such a poor start. It looked like we might get done by 20 goals again in the 1st half. (Instead it was Melbourne's turn).

Sledge - Brennan Stack - didn't seem like he wanted to be out there in the 1st half, was indecisive in his efforts and looked like a player totally lacking in any confidence. Credit to him for lifting in the 2nd half - still made a few errors but at least he was having a red hot go.

Sledge - Jordan Roughead - must learn to work defensively. Peter German has been on his back about it since early in the season, and today his failure to go with Big Cox probably cost us the 4 points.

Sledge - Razor Ray - 2 howlers in the last Q. Holding the ball to Gia WTF? No wonder the Eagles fans blew up. Then a free to Darling against Picken for holding - poor guess Ray - you were caught out of position and got it wrong.

Pickenitup
30-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Slap - Dahlhaus. I didn't think a first year player could change the team so much. His energy is infectious!

Slap - Gia. He may get a week for it but loved him clipping Selwood in a little skirmish. Selwood is a weak prick who hides behind the rules to protect his arse.

Slap - Baz. Please retract your retirment.

Sledge - First half. It was deplorable!

Sledge - Sherman. He may have had a bit of pressure on him today but sheesh, ordinary, very ordinary.

Sledge - Markovic's omission. OK I'm happy to give Mulligan a go to see were he is at and to his credit he did bounce back from a horrible first half but I would love to hear how they can justify his omission. :confused:
Mulligan was horrible Marko would have been very solid down back i just dont get why
we are playing Mulligan a total Spud!

AndrewP6
30-07-2011, 08:16 PM
SLAPS

Bazza - THE Man when we needed it. Had virtually nothing in the first half, when the ball started coming in there with some sort of system, he got amongst it. Star quality we don't have buckets of, and will leave a massive hole when he goes.

Murphy - Another who was just able to extract us out of the hole with some great run, agility and good delivery. Exciting to watch when on top of his game.

SLEDGES

Not sure sledging individuals is going to achieve anything (it's probably all been said)... but to play 2 and a bit quarters like that is pathetic.

The Coon Dog
30-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Slap - The loss for us, was felt much more down at the cheating bowels of Princes Park, so even though we lost it didn't aid Carlton. Perverse logic I know, but Remi Moses knows where I'm coming from.

Slap - Murphy prepared to take the game on. Look poetry in motion when he runs with the ball.

Sledge - Ray Effin Chamberlain's game changing howler! :rolleyes:

Sledge - The number of times Shaggy had his kick smothered.

LostDoggy
30-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Slap -

Sledge - The number of times Shaggy had his kick smothered.

Also the amount of times he just kicked it blindly forward.

But it was his first game back, and he is excused to be a little rusty

Remi Moses
30-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Slaps- Murphy ( absolutely brilliant)
Slaps - Gia ( really worked his arse off)
Slaps/ Dahlhaus ( really ignited the side)
Slaps- Barry( going out on top 1st class)
Slaps- Wood ( getting better each week)

Sledge- Mulligan ( made Lynch look like ussain Bolt!)
Sledge- Hooper( not up to it)
Sledge- roughy ( needs to get fitter)
Sledge - The playing group for being deplorable and disinterested in the 1st Half.
Heard after that Rocket gave a rev up. Why do our players constantly require a REV UP!!!
Sledge - Huddo( been great, but ol' father time has got the beard)
Sledge - the over exposed Chamberlain ( Officiadom should be seen and not heard)
Hello Brian Taylor:rolleyes:

westbulldog
30-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Slaps - the entire team less Hooper and Sherman.

Mulligan has played what - 3 or 4 games ? Are some of the comments too harsh, perhaps you know more than I.

Sledge - Chamberlain for gifting the Eagles a place in the top four - should umpire reserves somewhere in Cape York next week.

LostDoggy
30-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Sledge - the first half

Slap- the second half

So proud of the boys for stepping up and fighting back!

Extra Slap, Murph-you are a superstar! and such a pleasure to watch.
Dahl- he just gives his all
Barry- We are going to find it very hard to fill your shoes.

Extra Sledge- The umpiring, even when we got a couple they took that long to call it.

I have never seen Murph go up and speak to an ump about a call but he did after the dud picken one, as did picken and boyd, no one could understand it.

Prince Imperial
30-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Slaps

- Gia's clutch goal from a set shot to put us in front. He's missed many pressure goals in the past in tight last quarters but he certainly stood up today.
- 10 1%ers to Williams according to the AFL stats. Didn't get much of the ball but I think it was a pretty solid game.

Sledges

- The turnout from our supporters today - we barely outnumbered the Eagles.
- The first half from our midfield (Boyd excepting) - virtually nothing from Griffen, Liberatore, Cross, Ward and Barlow. The latter three lifted in the last half though.

Remi Moses
31-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Slaps - the entire team less Hooper and Sherman.

Mulligan has played what - 3 or 4 games ? Are some of the comments too harsh, perhaps you know more than I.

Sledge - Chamberlain for gifting the Eagles a place in the top four - should umpire reserves somewhere in Cape York next week.

They could claim the Gia free was ordinary.
What cost us the game was being so lamentable in the first half!
Having said that Darling didn't even know he had the free!:eek:
Very Frustrating

bornadog
31-07-2011, 01:43 AM
. Stacky's ring-a-rosy effort late in the 3rd gave West Coke a sniff and Le Cras' goal deflated our tyres. .

I just watched the reply of the second half and saw no ring a rosey from Stack. If you are talking about the out on the full to Schofield. Well the sequence was, with 20 seconds to go in the third quarter, Roughead dropped a sitter, WC kicked it up the ground, Stack grabbed in and passed backwards to Hudson who then got it across to Schofield. Schofield was too slow to get rid of it and was tackled and the ball went out on the full, from there it went up the ground and LeCras kicked a goal.

You are drawing a long bow if you blame Stack.

Have a another look at Stacks game, particulary in the 2nd half, kicked a nice goal and also handballed to Barlow who snapped a goal. Also nice pass to Bazza in the last quarter to hit him on the chest.

LostDoggy
31-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Slap murphy makes everyone else look silly

Sledge our three tallest players out marked by cock. Use some body boys

the banker
31-07-2011, 08:18 AM
SLAP Murph, Murph, Murph is inspirational.
SLAP Baz, Wood, Dolly, Ward, Cross, Boyd imposers on a contest

SLEDGE Confused effort in first half (and for much of the season). Yes we are here to play.
Our mental preparation seems poor.

Hotdog60
31-07-2011, 09:08 AM
I just watched the reply of the second half and saw no ring a rosey from Stack. If you are talking about the out on the full to Schofield. Well the sequence was, with 20 seconds to go in the third quarter, Roughead dropped a sitter, WC kicked it up the ground, Stack grabbed in and passed backwards to Hudson who then got it across to Schofield. Schofield was too slow to get rid of it and was tackled and the ball went out on the full, from there it went up the ground and LeCras kicked a goal.

Have a another look at Stacks game, particulary in the 2nd half, kicked a nice goal and also handballed to Barlow who snapped a goal. Also nice pass to Bazza in the last quarter to hit him on the chest.

I think you have to not included the fist half if judging the game of players because out of the team it was Murphy and Grommet that were the only standouts, in the 2nd half I thought Stack play a reasonable game. The question is how many fair weather sailors do we have.

LongWait
31-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I think you have to not included the fist half if judging the game of players because out of the team it was Murphy and Grommet that were the only standouts, in the 2nd half I thought Stack play a reasonable game. The question is how many fair weather sailors do we have.

I'm with BornADog here - Stack was far from our worst in the first half (5/10) and played well in the second half (7/10).

SLEDGE - supporters who call for the "kids" to be played and then slag off at them in their first game back in the senior side.

SLAP - Bob Murphy it was a joy to watch you play yesterday. Breathtaking.

LostDoggy
31-07-2011, 11:31 AM
The Stack ring a rosy was after the roughhead chest mark drop. He didn't want to give to mulligan(don't blame him) and only other option was huddo.

bornadog
31-07-2011, 12:10 PM
The Stack ring a rosy was after the roughhead chest mark drop. He didn't want to give to mulligan(don't blame him) and only other option was huddo.

But you can't blame him for the goal? He gave it to Huddo, who gave it Schofield.

bornadog
31-07-2011, 12:12 PM
SLEDGE - supporters who call for the "kids" to be played and then slag off at them in their first game back in the senior side. .

Have to agree with this, guys like Mulligan playing their 3rd game, gee he has to start somewhere, and he is going to make mistakes. We just have to keep giving these guys a go.

We had 12 players with less than 50 games under their belt (WC had 10), which gives me hope for the future.

Desipura
31-07-2011, 12:13 PM
But you can't blame him for the goal? He gave it to Huddo, who gave it Schofield.

Liked Stacky's pass to Hall in the last qtr, nice and low, gave Hall's opponent no chance

Sockeye Salmon
31-07-2011, 12:50 PM

Schofield simply got caught out by the speed of AFL. Has he taken off as soon as he got it Darling would never have caught him, but Schofield thought he had enough time to consider his options upfield - he'll learn.

G-Mo77
31-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Have to agree with this, guys like Mulligan playing their 3rd game, gee he has to start somewhere, and he is going to make mistakes. We just have to keep giving these guys a go.

Mulligan worked his way back in the game in the 2nd half. I don't think anyone would argue that his first was very ordinary, he's not on his own there though. I still question the decision to drop Marko but I'm willing to leave him in against the Bombers (Pending Matchups)

LostDoggy
31-07-2011, 01:08 PM

The main blame is Roughead's. Just that Stack and Schofield compounded it.

bornadog
31-07-2011, 01:28 PM
The main blame is Roughead's. Just that Stack and Schofield compounded it.

Yes and Eade had a go at Roughead at 3 quarter time for that dropped chest mark.

Twodogs
31-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Sledge - Razor Ray - 2 howlers in the last Q. Holding the ball to Gia WTF? No wonder the Eagles fans blew up. Then a free to Darling against Picken for holding - poor guess Ray - you were caught out of position and got it wrong.

You missed another Ray Chambelain special. Late in the game, it could have been our last foray forward, Cox marked the kick inside the 50 just outside the goal square. Roughy (it coud hav been Jones) was running to the cotest to spoil it but was blocked by a player who not only didnt have eyes for the ball but had his back to the play-he just threw his arm out. All the said player was throw his arm out and impede Roughead's run at the ball. If the same had happened to Goodes or Riewoldt then Ray couldnt have pid the free fast anough.

LostDoggy
31-07-2011, 03:07 PM
I hadn't been impressed with Mulligan at Willi, but maybe there is a footballer there, going on his second half yesterday. He seemed better at spoiling and contesting later in the game. Positioning and timing will take much practice, so we must be patient rather than dismissing him so early in his career. Just remember how long it has taken Williams to settle in.

Sedat
31-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Well the sequence was, with 20 seconds to go in the third quarter, Roughead dropped a sitter, WC kicked it up the ground, Stack grabbed in and passed backwards to Hudson who then got it across to Schofield. Schofield was too slow to get rid of it and was tackled and the ball went out on the full, from there it went up the ground and LeCras kicked a goal.Roughy's dropped mark was a pud...shocking miss bit worse, he didn't fight to keep it in our forward 50. Irrespective, Stacky then cost 40 m field position going backwards and panicked with ball in hand. He simply lacks composure when he has to think about what to do with the ball in hand. Gave it to Schofield who had nothing to kick to up the line so was forced to hold it longer until an option presented itself, but was pushed as he kicked - great defensive pressure from Darling to be fair.

w3design
31-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Agree with most of what's already been said.
Slap: murph's parents for breaking their religious vows and giving us Bob. His year has been a delight.
Slap: Cal wards goal which got the fans (yes, there should have been more of us) to full voice.
Slap: I liked williams' game. He was just about the elder statesman of the back line. I can be critical of him but thought he did well today.
Slap: taking the game on, finding run, working like men possessed in second half. See what can happen, even with a depleted team?

Sledge: please rest Griff if that's his problem. It's awful to see an elite player struggle so badly.
Sledge: yes he's only a second gamer but he's been around a while, and i cant see too much to enthuse about in Mulligan. His body positioning against a first gamer was pretty dreadful. Hope I'm wrong though.
Sledge...is too kind an expression for Razor Ray, the most ridiculously self important umpire in the game.
Sledge: in anticipation of the inevitable defense of him from Gieschen. Yeah, whatever!!!!!

Daughter of the West
01-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Slap: Murph. What more can I say? Absolute legend
Slap: Gia's goal from the ground, that was pretty awesome.
Slap: Dahlhaus. Awesome first, second, third, fourth, fifth etc efforts all the time.

Sledge: Razor Ray. Ugh. What were you thinking?!?
Sledge: The majority of the side for sleeping through the first half. Image what might have happened if we hadn't dug ourselves such a hole!

Ozza
01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Slap - Bob Murphy....for once the journo's got it right that 'the bulldogs only looked good when the ball was in Murphy's hands'.
Slap - Gia and Hall taking their opportunities - complimenting each other well.

Sledge - Roughead...is timid. Has to work through that.
Sledge - Hargrave was pretty poor. Expect better decisions from someone of his experience.
Sledge - Sherman - absolute panic merchant with the ball and stands and watches while Daulhaus applies pressure.
Sledge - The overall lack of poise. Schofield was actually one that showed reasonable poise in all but one scenario when he came on. He might be ok.
Sledge - Mulligan's kick that cost us a goal in the first quarter - too up and under where there isn't much room for error - and punished accordingly. Welcome to the AFL.

westbulldog
01-08-2011, 11:35 AM
They could claim the Gia free was ordinary.
What cost us the game was being so lamentable in the first half!
Having said that Darling didn't even know he had the free!:eek:
Very Frustrating

Yes, poor decisions go both ways but with 7.25 to go and the momentum swinging our way the free to Darling was at a crucial point. No wonder Matthew Boyd walked off the ground shaking his head. If Chamberlain gets a gig next week his Picken decision is being validated by the AFL and that people is pure unadulterated crap.

The Underdog
01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Slap: I liked williams' game. He was just about the elder statesman of the back line. I can be critical of him but thought he did well today.

Sledge: yes he's only a second gamer but he's been around a while, and i cant see too much to enthuse about in Mulligan. His body positioning against a first gamer was pretty dreadful. Hope I'm wrong though.

I've been really happy with Tom recently and Saturday was no exception.
I've also been more impressed with Mulligan than I ever expected to be, but my expectations were pretty low. Still don't have particularly high hopes but understand why they went with him over Markovic this week.

1eyedog
05-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Slap - Bob Murphy....for once the journo's got it right that 'the bulldogs only looked good when the ball was in Murphy's hands'.
Slap - Gia and Hall taking their opportunities - complimenting each other well.

Sledge - Roughead...is timid. Has to work through that.
Sledge - Hargrave was pretty poor. Expect better decisions from someone of his experience.
Sledge - Sherman - absolute panic merchant with the ball and stands and watches while Daulhaus applies pressure.
Sledge - The overall lack of poise. Schofield was actually one that showed reasonable poise in all but one scenario when he came on. He might be ok.
Sledge - Mulligan's kick that cost us a goal in the first quarter - too up and under where there isn't much room for error - and punished accordingly. Welcome to the AFL.

Yes he will be I reckon.