PDA

View Full Version : Woof Player Awards Rnd 19 - Western Bulldogs vs WCE

BulldogBelle
30-07-2011, 12:20 PM
R 19 - Western Bulldogs vs WCE

There are two awards that you can vote on, once the game is completed.

Voting closes each Tuesday at 8.00pm.

The first one is for the Joe Marmo Medal for the best players on the ground.

There are 4 votes allocated and it's a 4 for the best and of course 3, 2 and 1.

and

The second award is for the Ron James Medal for the best 2 pups on the ground.

2 Votes allocated - 2 being for the best pup and 1 for the runner-up
Remember the cut off age for a pup is 22 as at the 1st of January, 2011.

Pups available for selection -

Ayce Cordy, Jarrad Grant, Josh Hill, Tom Hill, Andrew Hooper, Christian Howard, Liam Jones, Tom Liberatore, James Mulligan, Sam Reid, Jordan Roughead, Zeph Skinner, Jayden Schofield, Jason Tutt, Patrick Veszpremi, Mitch Wallis, Callan Ward, Easton Wood.

Rookie Listed Pups and *mature aged rookie - Luke Dahlhaus, Jason Johannisen, Matthew Panos, Eddie Prato, Ed Barlow, *Mitch Hahn.

Need to know more - The history of the WOOF Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8966)

azabob
30-07-2011, 07:12 PM
4. Bob Murphy
3. Callan Ward
2. Matthew Boyd
1. Barry Hall

bornadog
30-07-2011, 07:14 PM
4. Boyd - 40 disposals, tried all day and worked his guts out for the team
3. Murphy
2. Ward
1. Gia -

2. Ward
1. Wood

The Coon Dog
30-07-2011, 07:27 PM
4/ Matthew Boyd
3/ Bob Murphy
2/ Barry Hall
1/ Callan Ward

Rocco Jones
30-07-2011, 07:39 PM
4- Bobby
3- Hall
2- Gia
1- Ward

Greystache
30-07-2011, 07:44 PM
4. Murphy
3. Hall
2. Dahlhaus
1. Wood

2. Dahlhaus
1. Wood

Rance Fan
30-07-2011, 07:48 PM
4 Murphy
3 Dahlhaus
2 Picken
1 Wood

2 Dahlhaus
1 Wood

Ghost Dog
30-07-2011, 07:57 PM
4: Hall - you have to kick em' or nothing else matters

3. Murph - The 'supply' man.
2. Gia - terrible miss but did alot of other things very well. Nice soccer goal
1. Huddo - thought he battled well against a taller, bigger opponent.

2: Dahlhaus- a great foil for Big Bazza. The little rabbit would dig a tunnel under Etihad if he thought the ball was under there.
1. Callan ward - Loves to get in their faces and love him for it.

Apologies to Wood. Little bit too keen to prove he can get through the net at times, but at least he takes the game on.

LostDoggy
30-07-2011, 07:59 PM
4 Hall
3 Dahlhaus (kid was inspirational)
2 Boyd
Edit: 1 Murphy - Sorry Gia!

2 Dal
1 Ward

AndrewP6
30-07-2011, 08:07 PM
4 Murphy
3 Hall
2 Ward
1 Boyd

Honourable mention Gia.

2 Ward
1 Dahlhaus

Hotdog60
30-07-2011, 08:34 PM
4 Murphy
3 Boyd
2 Ward
1 Hall

2 Ward
1 Dahlhaus

Remi Moses
30-07-2011, 08:43 PM
4. Murphy (skills are sublime)
3. Barry( going out a star)
2. Gia ( terrific after poor Ist half)Manhandled like last week!
1. Boyd( must improve his kicking efficiency)

2.Ward( great 2nd Half)
1. Dahlhaus( ignited after half time)
(apologies to Easton Wood)

Maddog37
30-07-2011, 08:58 PM
4 Murphy
3 Boyd
2 Ward
1 Hall

2 Ward
1 Dahlhaus

Same for me with apologies to Easton W.

westbulldog
30-07-2011, 09:15 PM
4. Matthew Boyd - a 4 quarter Captain's effort.
3. Daniel Cross - great courage and skill today
2. Barry Hall - might he change his mind
1. Bob Murphy - generated great run from the backline

2. Luke Dalhaus - fast, talented and applies great forward pressure
1. Callan Ward - ultra tough and skilled game

G-Mo77
30-07-2011, 09:20 PM
4. Murphy
3. Boyd
2. Dahlhaus
1. Hall

2. Dahlhaus
1. Ward

always right
30-07-2011, 09:25 PM
4. Murphy

3. Boyd
2. Hall
1. Gia

Apologies to Dahlhaus

Happy Days
30-07-2011, 10:07 PM
4. Boyd
3. Murphy
2. Ward
1. Hall

2. Ward
1. Dahlhaus

Anyone snubbing Boyd surely can't be serious?

LostDoggy
30-07-2011, 10:13 PM
4) Murph
3) Hall
2) Boyd
1) Gia

2) Dahlhaus
1) Ward

Apologies to Easton Wood

EasternWest
30-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Boyd - Captain.
Hall
Giansiracusa
Murphy

Dahlhaus
Wood

giaco
31-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Might be just me, but I can't believe anyone not giving Boyd 4.

4. Boyd
3. Murph
2. Hall
1. gia

bornadog
31-07-2011, 01:46 AM
1. Huddo - thought he battled well against a taller, bigger opponent.

Huddo was smashed today, Cox was best man on the ground with 27 disposals, 37 hitouts and two telling marks that killed us. On todays performance Huddo should be out for the season and Minson and Roughead should play.

G-Mo77
31-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Huddo was smashed today, Cox was best man on the ground with 27 disposals, 37 hitouts and two telling marks that killed us. On todays performance Huddo should be out for the season and Minson and Roughead should play.

Who are you to say who people should vote for?

Yeah I'll agree Big Cox was BOG and just quietly I have a nice little wager on him to win the Brownlow but Huddo battled hard and worked his arse off for all 4 quarters I can't say that about a lot of his teammates. I can see why someone would consider him to be apart of the best 4 players on the ground.

All this coming from a big Ben Hudson critic in 2011.

LostDoggy
31-07-2011, 04:39 AM
How often has Ward been in ourbests lately? Throw the kitchen sink at him.

Hotdog60
31-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Might be just me, but I can't believe anyone not giving Boyd 4.

4. Boyd
3. Murph
2. Hall
1. gia

Boyd played a very good game but I think Murphy had a four quarter effort across half back plus Murph hit's his targets better.

Ghost Dog
31-07-2011, 09:44 AM

True but not right, right but not true

I watched Huddo very closely at the game.
He is shorter and smaller in build than cox. i watched him use every trick in the book to try and negate the Eagle's monster ruckman, one best in the comp and considerably younger. But he fought tooth and nail like a true bulldog all day.

By the way, who would you have had as our ruck today otherwise?
with Ben we had a fighting chance.

With his back to the wall, the old boy battled on, and IMO not a player in our list would have fared better. That's the kind of effort I want to see, even when the chips are down. Well done Huddo.

In short, stats often don't tell the full story.

Moderator, 1 vote, Hudson, Ben, if you please.

Flamethrower
31-07-2011, 11:13 AM
4 - Bobby Murphy - silky
3 - Matty Boyd - never gave up
2 - Cal Ward - everyone put in 20 cents to keep him :D
1 - Bazza - one more year!!!!

Pups

2 - Cal - go cement
1 - Luke Dahlhaus - rock on

bornadog
31-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Who are you to say who people should vote for? .

Read my post and don't have a go. I just made a comment, I didn't say he shouldn't vote for him.

LostDoggy
31-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Boyd played a very good game but I think Murphy had a four quarter effort across half back plus Murph hit's his targets better.

Murphy was near flawless and seemed to be everywhere.
Boyd busted a gut doing the Boydy stuff. His determination for the team is unmistakable.

G-Mo77
31-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Read my post and don't have a go. I just made a comment, I didn't say he shouldn't vote for him.

I read it, still comes accross as having a go at someone because you don't agree with it.

No surprises.

LostDoggy
31-07-2011, 01:22 PM
No doubting Huddo gave 100% but I thought votes were for best players on the day. Huddo was slaughtered by Cox and I'm not sure how you can't find 4 better on our side.

Mofra
31-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Boyd - 4 (should be 400, we would have been Melbourne without him in the first half)
Murphy - 3
Gia - 2
Hall - 1

Dalhaus - 2
Wood - 1

Ward very stiff

LostDoggy
31-07-2011, 09:26 PM
4. Boyd
3. Murphy
2. Ward
1. Hall

2. Ward
1. Dalhaus

Sedat
01-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Hudson was obviously soundly beaten but he had his moments, espesially in the 3rd qtr. Perhaps he ran out of puff because he got bugger-all help from the 2nd ruckman on the day?

Marmo:

4 - Bob, by a country mile
3 - Ward
2 - Boyd (have to give him kudos for his exceptional clearance work in the 2nd half, but he was terribly loose early in the match when WC's midfield was destroying us - he pays scant regard to his direct opponent and unfortunately he's neither Judd or Ablett)
1 - Gia

James:

2 - Ward
1 - Wood

LostDoggy
01-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Hudson was obviously soundly beaten but he had his moments, espesially in the 3rd qtr. Perhaps he ran out of puff because he got bugger-all help from the 2nd ruckman on the day?

Marmo:

4 - Bob, by a country mile
3 - Ward
2 - Boyd (have to give him kudos for his exceptional clearance work in the 2nd half, but he was terribly loose early in the match when WC's midfield was destroying us - he pays scant regard to his direct opponent and unfortunately he's neither Judd or Ablett)
1 - Gia

James:

2 - Ward
1 - Wood

The man had 20 disposals in the first half when we were getting slaughtered. What was his direct opponent doing then? And who was his direct opponent? And what were his comrades in the midfield doing while he was accumulating so many disposals. This was as fine a Leader's game as we have seen for many years.

A disingenuous and disappointing comment about a bloke who gave everything on the day. And I say this as one who has been critical of Boyd in the past.

SlimPickens
01-08-2011, 10:23 AM
4.Murphy
3. Hall
2. Boyd
1. Dahl

2.Dahl
1. Ward

Ozza
01-08-2011, 10:27 AM
4. Bob Murphy
3. Barry Hall
2. Matt Boyd
1. Danial Giansiracusa

2. Ward
1. Daulhaus

Sedat
01-08-2011, 10:36 AM
The man had 20 disposals in the first half when we were getting slaughtered. What was his direct opponent doing then? And who was his direct opponent? And what were his comrades in the midfield doing while he was accumulating so many disposals. This was as fine a Leader's game as we have seen for many years.
I did have him in our best players on Saturday for his sensational 2nd half performance, but from where I was sitting, I saw plenty of finger-ponting and very little defensive running from him as the likes of Gaff, Shuey and Priddis were heavily involved in almost all of WC's scoring involvements in the 1st half (there were plenty of rotations going on so all of these guys looked to have some time on Boyd in the 1st half). There are some top-tier midfielders that don't put any time into the opposition and are purely ball hunters (such as Judd and Ablett) - I see Boydy in this boat but he simply lacks the hurt factor when he has the ball in his hands. This problem is exacerbated when Coons is out because Boyd then feels compelled to take on the more offensive playmaking role, and with Griff completely off the boil and smashed by S Selwood this was even more pronounced on Saturday.

He had a similar game against Freo earlier this season but actually put some time into his opponent that night (Pavlich), and I had him as BOG by a mile that night as a result. He found the happy medium in the 2nd half but I thought he was far too 'offensive' early and was torched going the other way.

LostDoggy
01-08-2011, 02:33 PM
4) Murphy
3) Boyd
2) Hall
1) Gia

2) Ward
1) Dollhouse

LostDoggy
01-08-2011, 03:39 PM
4. Boyd
3. Murphy
2. Giansiracusa
1. Hall

2. Ward
1. Dollhouse

Boyd was sensational. Give the guy a break. Start directing some of that at Griffen who Boyd worked 10 times harder than on Saturday.

The Underdog
01-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I did have him in our best players on Saturday for his sensational 2nd half performance, but from where I was sitting, I saw plenty of finger-ponting and very little defensive running from him as the likes of Gaff, Shuey and Priddis were heavily involved in almost all of WC's scoring involvements in the 1st half (there were plenty of rotations going on so all of these guys looked to have some time on Boyd in the 1st half). There are some top-tier midfielders that don't put any time into the opposition and are purely ball hunters (such as Judd and Ablett) - I see Boydy in this boat but he simply lacks the hurt factor when he has the ball in his hands. This problem is exacerbated when Coons is out because Boyd then feels compelled to take on the more offensive playmaking role, and with Griff completely off the boil and smashed by S Selwood this was even more pronounced on Saturday.

He had a similar game against Freo earlier this season but actually put some time into his opponent that night (Pavlich), and I had him as BOG by a mile that night as a result. He found the happy medium in the 2nd half but I thought he was far too 'offensive' early and was torched going the other way.

He often picks up the guy nearest him when the opposition are coming out of the backline(if that) and points to a younger player to peel off and pick up his opponent. Maybe it's part of the plan to rest him while on field but it doesn't look particularly good and it doesn't help us. It probably doesn't show up on TV but it does if you watch him when we don't have the ball. The care factor when he gets the ball also makes him less effective than stats indicate. Still I'm planning to rewatch the game tonight so I'll be interested to watch his game again.

Anyway sorry to hijack the voting thread with discussion.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2011, 04:04 PM
4. Murphy
3. Boyd
2. Hall
1. Giansiracusa

2. Ward
1. Daulhaus

Sockeye Salmon
01-08-2011, 05:33 PM
He often picks up the guy nearest him when the opposition are coming out of the backline(if that) and points to a younger player to peel off and pick up his opponent. Maybe it's part of the plan to rest him while on field but it doesn't look particularly good and it doesn't help us. It probably doesn't show up on TV but it does if you watch him when we don't have the ball. The care factor when he gets the ball also makes him less effective than stats indicate. Still I'm planning to rewatch the game tonight so I'll be interested to watch his game again.

Every player does that. If they didn't there would be blokes running everywhere trying to pick up their designated opponent and inevitably some wouldn't get there in time.

The irony here is that when things start to go wrong and players start worrying only about their immediate opponent and stop covering for each other that the whole thing turns to shit.

The Underdog
01-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Every player does that. If they didn't there would be blokes running everywhere trying to pick up their designated opponent and inevitably some wouldn't get there in time.

The irony here is that when things start to go wrong and players start worrying only about their immediate opponent and stop covering for each other that the whole thing turns to shit.

Yeah I get that. It's when he's initially closer to the opposition player than the guy he's directing to pick him up that I have a problem with it. He also at one point when we'd clearly gone man on man was guarding space.
Maybe I'm nitpicking, maybe I just notice him more in these situations but I seem to notice him doing it often.

Ghost Dog
01-08-2011, 05:59 PM

10 tackles to 0 against his direct opponent in the 1st quarter.
That's when we got smashed. Ok, was terrific in and under later on. Cannot deny that. and Not alone in that he took a while to get warmed up. We just didnt get enough of it early on and that's his dept.

Sedat
01-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah I get that. It's when he's initially closer to the opposition player than the guy he's directing to pick him up that I have a problem with it. He also at one point when we'd clearly gone man on man was guarding space.
Maybe I'm nitpicking, maybe I just notice him more in these situations but I seem to notice him doing it often.
It's a good topic of discussion and probably deserves a thread of its own. He certainly polarises opinions on here - some here swear black and blue that he was BOG, others didn't even have him in the votes. I honestly get both perspectives. Even in the media, Boyd polarises opinion - Leigh Matthews thought he was borderline BOG with Cox and Brereton was scathing of his lack of hurt factor and unaccountability (he's also mentioned this previously).

He is clearly a top tier talent at the club but I really want to see his talents utilised to their optimum level and his deficiencies minimised/hidden away as much as possible. Apologies for taking the voting thread off on a tangent, but if the mods feel like moving the posts on this discussion to a separate thread, it would be great to dissect this in more detail.

bornadog
01-08-2011, 06:26 PM
It's a good topic of discussion and probably deserves a thread of its own. He certainly polarises opinions on here - some here swear black and blue that he was BOG, others didn't even have him in the votes. I honestly get both perspectives. Even in the media, Boyd polarises opinion - Leigh Matthews thought he was borderline BOG with Cox and Brereton was scathing of his lack of hurt factor and unaccountability (he's also mentioned this previously).

He is clearly a top tier talent at the club but I really want to see his talents utilised to their optimum level and his deficiencies minimised/hidden away as much as possible. Apologies for taking the voting thread off on a tangent, but if the mods feel like moving the posts on this discussion to a separate thread, it would be great to dissect this in more detail.

A player that has 21 contested possessions and 10 inside 50's (way more than any player on the ground) is best on the ground.

Make no mistake, between Boyd and Murphy's leadership we would not have come back from the 2nd biggest come back in our history (if we won)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Marmo

4. Murphy
3. Boyd
2. Ward
1. Hall

James

2. Ward
1. Dahlhaus

the banker
01-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Murphy
Hall
Boyd
Ward

Ward
Dahlhaus

westbulldog
01-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Make no mistake, between Boyd and Murphy's leadership we would not have come back from the 2nd biggest come back in our history (if we won)

Couldn't agree more, both were inspirational.

LostDoggy
01-08-2011, 11:53 PM
4. Bob Murphy
3. Barry Hall
2. Matthew Boyd
1. Number 19 in the Bulldogs team in the Little League - he had real determination!!!! This is probably not allowed so will give my fourth vote to Luke Dahlhaus.

2. Luke Dahlhaus
1. Easton Wood

1eyedog
02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
4- Murphy
3- Hall
2- Ward
1- Dahlhaus

1eyedog
02-08-2011, 03:31 PM
He had a similar game against Freo earlier this season but actually put some time into his opponent that night (Pavlich), and I had him as BOG by a mile that night as a result. He found the happy medium in the 2nd half but [B]I thought he was far too 'offensive' early and was torched going the other way
This.

He was burnt in the first half and I am still concerned by his lack of efficiency by foot and resultant turnovers as well as the amount of free kicks he has given away for mock aggression that has led to opposition goals.