PDA

View Full Version : Head Coaching Position 2012

Scraggers
01-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Let me start this thread by making my position very clear ... I believe Rodney Eade is the right person to coach the Western Bulldogs in 2012 and beyond.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on this website about whether Eade should coach us next year or not (through different news articles etc) and also comment on poaching other coaches or cleaning out our assistant coaches etc etc etc ... the reason for this thread is to have one place where the only discussion is about who should / could be the Head Coach at the Western Bulldogs.

With the sacking of Dean Bailey, the AFL website made a list of possible candidates for the Melbourne position ... this list seems like a good place to start.

The List (Link) (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/119851/default.aspx)

Todd Viney
Reports have suggested Viney is the hot favourite to take on the caretaker role if Bailey steps down or is sacked. The former Melbourne captain enjoyed successful stints at Hawthorn and Adelaide as an assistant before being lured back to the Demons at the end of 2010. Adding to Viney's credentials is a playing record that includes 233 games, a place in the Demons' Team of the Century as well as their Hall of Fame.

Brian Royal
The most experienced of Melbourne's current crop of assistants. Was considered hot property on the coaching merry-go-round around 10 years ago but for whatever reason doesn't get mentioned often these days. Has served at North Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Richmond, St Kilda and is in his second stint at Melbourne. Will also enter consideration to take over as interim coach that could give him a springboard to the permanent role.

Neil Craig
Unlikely but he is available after losing the Adelaide job on Monday. Is an astute and experienced performer and the Demons could do worse than appoint him.

Paul Roos
Has said he has no interest in coaching again but has all the credentials for the job. It would be his if he wanted it and the Demons would be doing all they could to convince him if they saw even a tiny glimmer of hope.

Mick Malthouse
Has said he is committed to his new role at Collingwood next year but it has been made pretty clear he and the club aren't seeing eye-to-eye over the position. Melbourne would be negligent not to enquire about his services and to present its case in the strongest possible manner.

Alastair Clarkson
Former Melbourne player who led the Hawks to the 2008 flag on the back of his revolutionary 'cluster'. Is out of contract at the end of the season, and while he is unlikely to leave Hawthorn - with the club set for another serious premiership assault - the Demons will definitely inquire about his services.

Scott Burns
Widely considered to be one of the brightest up and coming assistant coaches. Has served as an assistant to West Coast's John Worsfold over the past three years and has already been linked to the Adelaide job. The Demons would have to move quickly to get him.

Mark Neeld
Not a high-profile candidate but threw his hat in the ring for the Richmond job that eventually went to Damien Hardwick. Comes with a ringing endorsement from Magpies coach Mick Malthouse who has said he was more prepared for a senior coaching role than Brad Scott when he went to North Melbourne.

Ken Hinkley
The perennial bridesmaid. Has come down to the final few for both the Geelong and Richmond coaching jobs in recent years but was pipped at the line for both. Now an assistant at Gold Coast after stints at Geelong and St Kilda, Hinkley has had plenty of time to learn the ropes.

Brenton Sanderson
Another to come close to winning the Cats job before it was handed to Chris Scott. Sanderson is spoken of highly as a Geelong assistant coach and has also been linked to a potential assistant role under friend Nathan Buckley when he takes over the reigns at Collingwood next season.

Brendon McCartney
Mark Thompson's right-hand man during Geelong's three consecutive Grand Final appearances. Was a real steal when he joined Essendon from the Cats and while few football fans would recognise him by face, his credentials speak for themselves.

Leigh Tudor
Yet another to come from the Geelong stable, Tudor moved from the Cats to St Kilda as an assistant to Ross Lyon and was considered a valuable part of the regime that took the Saints to consecutive Grand Finals. Now an assistant coach to John Longmire at the Sydney Swans, Tudor should be considered for the role.

Leon Cameron
Highly-rated assistant coach at Hawthorn after moving from the Western Bulldogs. Has been spoken of as an heir apparent to Rodney Eade at Whitten Oval but that could all change if the Demons get in first and make him a concrete offer.

As stated, this isn't my list, this is from the AFL website and pertinent to the Melbourne job.

PLEASE keep you replies to candidates for the Head Coaching position only.

ledge
01-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Gerald Fitzgerald was mentioned today on SEN

Rocco Jones
01-08-2011, 08:26 PM
If we are going to go for a rookie coach I think it is a must for us to also significantly increase our budget for assistant coaches. Rookie coach + best of the lot no one else wants= our bad times getting worse and for longer.

Sockeye Salmon
01-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Malthouse is the only one of that lot I'd be interested in and he's:

a) too expensive and
b) too at Collingwood

westdog54
01-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Malthouse is the only one of that lot I'd be interested in and he's:

a) too expensive and
b) too at Collingwood

Which is more of a turnoff for you?

the banker
02-08-2011, 08:42 AM
If there is a change, Mark Williams is being bandied around for the Melbourne job. Could he be a fit at the Dogs? I prefer that to a rookie.

The Underdog
02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
If there is a change, Mark Williams is being bandied around for the Melbourne job. Could he be a fit at the Dogs? I prefer that to a rookie.

He's basically the coach at GWS. Sheedy will be a figurehead for a year and then Williams will most likely officially take over and Sheedy will become PR director or something.
God I hope that team never wins a game.

Desipura
02-08-2011, 02:09 PM
If not Malthouse would be happy to retain Eade. The MC have to be replaced.

bornadog
02-08-2011, 02:14 PM

no thanks, been there done that.

The Underdog
02-08-2011, 02:33 PM

You don't think he might be a better coach than he was 25 years ago?
One or two things have changed, including the 3 premierships he's won since. I don't think he'll be available, he'd wan't to come back or that we could afford him but he's clearly the best coach who'd potentially be on the market.

bornadog
02-08-2011, 02:47 PM
You don't think he might be a better coach than he was 25 years ago?
One or two things have changed, including the 3 premierships he's won since. I don't think he'll be available, he'd wan't to come back or that we could afford him but he's clearly the best coach who'd potentially be on the market.

He may be a better coach but he is not a better person. Left the dogs with two fingers in a V shape at us.

Desipura
02-08-2011, 02:48 PM
You need to move on. He has the best credentials of any coach that is/will become available at seasons end.

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 02:49 PM

I agree.

Remi Moses
02-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Not a nice person = good coach!
Nice Person = Dean Bailey Peter Rohde!
Yeah Malthouse isn't Mother Teresa but he's a great coach,and even a better one that left in 89.

the banker
02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Malthouse = dreaming. Lets get real.

If we dont do a deal with Rocket, I can see him at Dees.

Will no-ne engage me re Mark Wiiliams? Read that his wife is very keen on a Melbourne life and that GWS would release him for a head coach position. I think he could be a very good fit for us.

The Coon Dog
02-08-2011, 03:17 PM
With the recent events at Adelaide & Melbourne, you would have to think both of those clubs would want to talk to Rocket's Manager.

Assuming this to be the case, do we stick to our end of season timetable, or look to expedite our review? Since that position was adopted, the landscape has changed & quite significantly.

I'd hate for us to wait & decide after all that Rocket is the best person for the job, only to be beaten to the punch.

Surely by now the board would have a reasonably good idea if they want Rocket or not. If they do, then perhaps moving on it wards off any potential poaching.

There are only 18 coaching gigs available & Rocket has made it clear he wants one of these, so he'd be foolish not to listen to offers.

If the board feel Rocket is the right man for the job, then I'd have no problems with them moving on it now.

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Malthouse = dreaming. Lets get real.

If we dont do a deal with Rocket, I can see him at Dees.

Will no-ne engage me re Mark Wiiliams? Read that his wife is very keen on a Melbourne life and that GWS would release him for a head coach position. I think he could be a very good fit for us.

I will engage in discusion with you. He should not coach spiders up a wall.

Completely lost the plot with Port Adelaide.

Lives in the past and cannot keep pace with the modern game.

The Underdog
02-08-2011, 03:44 PM
With the recent events at Adelaide & Melbourne, you would have to think both of those clubs would want to talk to Rocket's Manager.

Assuming this to be the case, do we stick to our end of season timetable, or look to expedite our review? Since that position was adopted, the landscape has changed & quite significantly.

I'd hate for us to wait & decide after all that Rocket is the best person for the job, only to be beaten to the punch.

Surely by now the board would have a reasonably good idea if they want Rocket or not. If they do, then perhaps moving on it wards off any potential poaching.

There are only 18 coaching gigs available & Rocket has made it clear he wants one of these, so he'd be foolish not to listen to offers.

If the board feel Rocket is the right man for the job, then I'd have no problems with them moving on it now.

And if we decide he's not then maybe we have the perfect out. I agree the board should be able to make a call on him whenever they need to though, there really isn't anything else they need to see at this point.
I really like Rocket on a personal level and think he's a very good match day coach. There does seem to have been some recurring problems with internal relationships in the group which he doesn't seem to have handled very well and also a problem with really getting a strong resolve into the group. I was all for keeping him on but I'm probably feeling less confident as the season rolls on that it is the right way to go. The asst coach questions and the issues around Fantasia and his role also need to be resolved.

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 03:47 PM

Will they want to be seen to be reactionary though?

The Coon Dog
02-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Will they want to be seen to be reactionary though?

That may be a by product, but its important that people acknowledge that the landscape has change.

Greystache
02-08-2011, 04:00 PM

I've got no problem with the board sticking with their original timeline for a decision, so long as they have made up their minds 99% by the time the season's finished. If we wait until the end of the season and then start discussing the decision, should we wish to retain Eade, we'll be behind in negotiations when we should be the front runner.

I said in round 1 I felt this should be his last season and nothing that's transpired since has changed my view, but we have to be organised enough as a club to make sure we get our first choice coach next season, not simply taking the best of what's left.

Scraggers
02-08-2011, 04:03 PM
At the half time 'show' on Saturday (Channel 10) They interviewed Simon Garlick who said that the review had already started.

Ghost Dog
02-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Would be staggard if Rocket would go to Adelaide or anywhere else. He doesn't need money, he needs a flag.

dogman
02-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Unless Malthouse wants to coach us, then I would stick with Eade. But I think we need a major overhaul of the coaching department. I would sack Fantasia and the assistant coaches and get some new blood. Chase one or two of Neeld, Hinkley, Tudor or McCartney as assistants.

the banker
02-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I will engage in discusion with you. He should not coach spiders up a wall.

Completely lost the plot with Port Adelaide.

Lives in the past and cannot keep pace with the modern game.

He has 3 Grand Finals in the bag, a great W/L and had his team finish top of the Home and Away twice. Hard to say the guy can't coach.

Wouldnt judge him on his last year at PA> He is part of the modern game.

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Would be staggard if Rocket would go to Adelaide or anywhere else. He doesn't need money, he needs a flag.

Would he think that Melbourne's list was closer to a flag than ours?

Bulldog Joe
02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
He has 3 Grand Finals in the bag, a great W/L and had his team finish top of the Home and Away twice. Hard to say the guy can't coach.

Wouldnt judge him on his last year at PA> He is part of the modern game.

Judge Choco on how he was the last 3 years at Port Adelaide and he is no hope.

Judge by what he left behind when he finally departed and it is even worse. The club may have a premiership but it is lost in the abyss that the football club has become.

bornadog
02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Judge Choco on how he was the last 3 years at Port Adelaide and he is no hope.

Judge by what he left behind when he finally departed and it is even worse. The club may have a premiership but it is lost in the abyss that the football club has become.

Its like saying bring back Lee Matthews. Lee was great in his day but really has lost touch with the modern game as he hasn't been in the system.

ledge
02-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Didnt Rocket say the process has started, if thats the case I would say we are going to hang on to him.

Process would be a waste of time if the decision was not to keep him, I would say "THE PROCESS" would involve nutting out how many years , whats the price and what needs to change in the football department regarding personnel.

Dazza
02-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Unless Malthouse wants to coach us, then I would stick with Eade. But I think we need a major overhaul of the coaching department. I would sack Fantasia and the assistant coaches and get some new blood. Chase one or two of Neeld, Hinkley, Tudor or McCartney as assistants.

I'd also be thinking of going down this route.

Fantasia hasn't inspired me with much confidence so far.

bornadog
02-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Didnt Rocket say the process has started, if thats the case I would say we are going to hang on to him.

Process would be a waste of time if the decision was not to keep him, I would say "THE PROCESS" would involve nutting out how many years , whats the price and what needs to change in the football department regarding personnel.

Maybe the process includes looking at what KPIs were set with him last time they negotiated his contract and then measuring against the KPIs. There may be things like, number of wins, position the team finished in, how many debuts and how did he develop the team, etc etc. There will be a number of things that Rocket will be measured against.

Its not a simple thing like what you have mentioned.

Dry Rot
02-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I said in round 1 I felt this should be his last season and nothing that's transpired since has changed my view, but we have to be organised enough as a club to make sure we get our first choice coach next season, not simply taking the best of what's left.

Agree with this but now things have changed re Adelaide and Melbourne.

IMO the Board should make the decision re Eade now, and if this is his last season with us (I hope so) then announce it but let him coach out the season.

Better for everyone, including us and Eade.

GVGjr
02-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Very good points TCD but a final announcement at either Melbourne or Adelaide won't be done until the end of the season anyway so for us it doesn't really have to be going full tilt now because we probably have until the end of the month.

Baileys demise gives Rocket a lot more leverage than he had two weeks ago but I still wouldn't rush it. From my POV there is still more questions than answers about reappointing Rocket because it needs to be done as part of a more comprehensive review of the footy department.
If nothing in our footy department changes other than just the reappointment of Eade then I don't think it is a positive for the club. That's not a knock on Eade at all either.
If there are some other changes to the footy department and Rocket gets the nod then that could very well be a positive.

I don't want to lose him but right at this moment I think it would be the wrong thing to give him two more seasons. I hope the club is giving it some traction now but we can't try and 2nd guess what other clubs might do and rush the decision.

The Coon Dog
02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Very good points TCD but a final announcement at either Melbourne or Adelaide won't be done until the end of the season anyway so for us it doesn't really have to be going full tilt now because we probably have until the end of the month.

Baileys demise gives Rocket a lot more leverage than he had two weeks ago but I still wouldn't rush it. From my POV there is still more questions than answers about reappointing Rocket because it needs to be done as part of a more comprehensive review of the footy department.
If nothing in our footy department changes other than just the reappointment of Eade then I don't think it is a positive for the club. That's not a knock on Eade at all either.
If there are some other changes to the footy department and Rocket gets the nod then that could very well be a positive.

I don't want to lose him but right at this moment I think it would be the wrong thing to give him two more seasons. I hope the club is giving it some traction now but we can't try and 2nd guess what other clubs might do and rush the decision.

Good points GVGjr, particularly the bolded bit. I think if Eade is ultimately reappointed then there has to be some significant changes to the Football Department.

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't want to lose him but right at this moment I think it would be the wrong thing to give him two more seasons.

Why would he sign for one more season if Melbourne offer him three?

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Sorry never forget that my club nearly went under and Malthouse didn't give a shit about it and just walked.
I agree and I have said before if Rocket was given the same resources and time as Malthouse he could achieve the same results.

GVGjr
02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Why would he sign for one more season if Melbourne offer him three?

We won't offer him one season, it will be two years or nothing.
Right at this moment, unless it part of some other changes, I can't see how the reappointment would be a positive for Eade or the club.

Ghost Dog
02-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Right at this moment, unless it part of some other changes, I can't see how the reappointment would be a positive for Eade or the club.

Well, let's not dally around the bush guys, I assume you are talking about Fantasia?
What changes would you like to see?

ledge
02-08-2011, 09:52 PM

I think we all agree whether Eade goes or not other changes need to be made in the football department.

LostDoggy
02-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Given the run of injuries we have had and the lack of KPPs over his time, I would say that Eade has performed extremely well. I believe we just haven't quite had the players, yet we have challenged in successive preliminaries. Eade has exceeded my expectations by getting the best out of our players in key games. I don't think we have ever been blessed with the overall talent of any of the recent premiership cup holders. Our bottom 4 players have been weaker than the 2 playing off in the grand finals. What more could Eade have done with what he has had?

Our up and down form this year has more to do with injuries to key players than anything else.

Eade has the respect of the players.

This year he can get them to play for quarters and halves, even whole games sometimes. It took too much out of us to beat Carlton. Griffen and Cooney have never recovered. That tells me we can't sustain it or can't begin it because of players carrying injuries, the inconsistent form of younger players, the inability of some to adapt to new roles, the lack of experience of playing together, and the gap in talent at certain ages. To implement a new game plan takes time and is not easily mastered when just 1 player doesn't understand or commit.

For change, I think we should start with the recruiter and the recruiting philosophy we use to get players to this club. We still don't seem to be able to develop a forward of Cloke's build and mobility.

And I suspect it will only get harder if we lose Ward, Cooney never fully recovers, our tall forwards don't come on and Hudson retires.

I think it would be disappointing if we ditch Eade as a knee jerk reaction to our position on the ladder this year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-08-2011, 11:22 PM
I've got no problem with the board sticking with their original timeline for a decision, so long as they have made up their minds 99% by the time the season's finished. If we wait until the end of the season and then start discussing the decision, should we wish to retain Eade, we'll be behind in negotiations when we should be the front runner.

Our downward spiral this year has been dramatic and against quality opposition we look vulnerable. The depth of talent isn't there. The recruiting has been very poor. Dahlhaus has been an exception. Whoever takes over as coach will have a huge task in front of them. I would seriously consider bringing back Chris Bond who is highly regarded by the senior players to replace Fantasia and appoint either Neeld or McCartney as senior coach. The club needs a fresh injection of strong leadership to rebuild the club.

ledge
03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I like Eade and kinda hope he stays on if other things change at the club.
But with all the excuses I am reading about not having the players this year, Eade has coached this side long enough to have built a list that should be holding its own now.
How long does a coach get to build a team?

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I want Eade to stay. I don't think we are any hope of getting Maulthouse and i don't think there is a better candidate out there.

In a perfect world we would have 5 million extra a year to spend on our football department, i think people underestimate how much of a difference this makes, and i think under the circumstances that we have done quite well. unfortunately injury's and retirements have gotten the better of us this year.

I think 2 years to see if this current group are finals bound, and i think Rocket is the man to do it.

LongWait
03-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I would offer Eade a three year deal provided he can satisfy the Board:

1. that he is prepared to make the hard list, team selection and player management decisions that we need to make to ensure a mid-sized rebuild and tilt at a flag in two to three years;

2. he can convince the Board that he can develop and implement a premiership winning game plan; and

3. that Eade can understand that humiliating players in front of the crowd and tv cameras is absolutely not on in today's game. Eade must show he understands how to get the best out of younger players (who are not named Cal Ward) and especially Gen Y players.

Most people really rate Rocket as a person and as a coach and I am in that camp, however he has deficiencies (as we all do) and must overcome or eliminate these to a greater degree than we've seen over the past two years. I fear that if Rocket is reappointed the playing group and culture will not evolve quickly enough to not only keep up with the modern game, but blaze a successful new path.

westbulldog
04-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Eade has been an outstanding coach at our Club and I hope he stays. The assistant coaches, injury management people and recruiting staff may need looking at. We should not recruit average players from other clubs. I will throw a couple of names into the ring for assistant coaching staff - Dean Laidley and Brad Hardie - both have the passionate approach that we need and the football smarts.

kruder
05-08-2011, 01:25 AM
I've said this since round one but Eade will not be at the Bulldogs next year.

I actually think it will be a mutual agreement, both parties need a change.

Scott Burns for me....

kruder
05-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Oh one more thing, Wilson and Hutchy on FC this week both agreed that Eade will not be at the Bulldogs next year.

Mantis
05-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I've said this since round one but Eade will not be at the Bulldogs next year.

I actually think it will be a mutual agreement, both parties need a change.

That is a strange thing to say considering Eade has mentioned a number of times that he wants to remain at the Bulldogs next year.

The Coon Dog
05-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Oh one more thing, Wilson and Hutchy on FC this week both agreed that Eade will not be at the Bulldogs next year.

Not like those 2 have ever been wrong before! :rolleyes:

In nearly all your posts all you ever want to do is push your pet hobby horse, change the record please!

Ghost Dog
05-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Eade has been an outstanding coach at our Club and I hope he stays. The assistant coaches, injury management people and recruiting staff may need looking at. We should not recruit average players from other clubs. I will throw a couple of names into the ring for assistant coaching staff - Dean Laidley and Brad Hardie - both have the passionate approach that we need and the football smarts.

Where is Brad Hardie at the moment?

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 11:22 AM
If Eade is to stay he needs more support. I think we need proven assistants who can inject some new ideas into the coaching department. Perhaps an old head and a young whipper snapper..

It comes down to dollars and cents but how about if we threw some coin at Dean Bailey? Has most recent experience of building a young list and can learn from his experience?

Desipura
05-08-2011, 11:51 AM
It comes down to dollars and cents but how about if we threw some coin at Dean Bailey? Has most recent experience of building a young list and can learn from his experience?

Could you imagine how membership would spiral down? It would one of the strangest decisions ever given he could not develop the young list at Melbourne.

strebla
05-08-2011, 11:53 AM
There are many reasons for our poor form this year which i believe can be overcome quickly our strenth and conditioning is one as is our game plan. I have sain for 20 odd years assistant coaches should only have 2 years at a club you need to keep ideas and messages fresh for experienced players as well as the rookies also a fresh mind brings a vitality to a group.So now who do we want look at the list of retirees over this year and last go through it and pick the eyes out of it there is a certain ex captain from the Swans who i admire and would love to see at the dogs thats who I would be going after !!!

Mantis
05-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Could you imagine how membership would spiral down? It would one of the strangest decisions ever given he could not develop the young list at Melbourne.

But the young list has been developed... going by there w/l record they have improved every year.

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 02:36 PM
I like the idea of Eade out, Goodwin Coach & Craig as an assistant/mentor.
I believe Eade has become stale at our club a change is needed.

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Eade should be re-appointed for at least another two years now.

Easily the best coach available which is why both Adelaide and Melbourne will be all over him - and we already have him.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2011, 04:06 PM
I like the idea of Eade out, Goodwin Coach & Craig as an assistant/mentor.
I believe Eade has become stale at our club a change is needed.

Fair enough. What are some example of the 'staleness' you mention

Ghost Dog
05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
There are many reasons for our poor form this year which i believe can be overcome quickly our strenth and conditioning is one as is our game plan. I have sain for 20 odd years assistant coaches should only have 2 years at a club you need to keep ideas and messages fresh for experienced players as well as the rookies also a fresh mind brings a vitality to a group.So now who do we want look at the list of retirees over this year and last go through it and pick the eyes out of it there is a certain ex captain from the Swans who i admire and would love to see at the dogs thats who I would be going after !!!

Kirk? ^_^ Great idea
Oh you mean Bazza?

Ghost Dog
05-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Any takers for Dean Baily as an assistant coach? I reckon he got a raw deal at Demons and his CV boasts experience with clubs that have had success. His less confronting and ever positive demeanor would be a good foil for Rodney's more expletive-charged style. Rocket might also feel comfortable next to someone with a similarly mature hair style. ^_^

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Fair enough. What are some example of the 'staleness' you mention

Game plan,
Hill in,stack out,stack in,Hill out.
Look i just get the feeling watching this year it needs freshnin up. we have got some great talent & a new coach new direction will put fire back in the bellies.
Eade has been great for us for the past 7 years but we still only have the one premiership.
I've lost faith maybe the players have too?

Desipura
05-08-2011, 05:12 PM
But the young list has been developed... going by there w/l record they have improved every year.
More than win/loss ratio. They are getting smashed against the better sides on the comp. That in itself tells me they have not bridged the gap.

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 05:12 PM

people didn't think that a few weeks ago when they smashed adelaide by 14 goals. Young teams are up and down (see Essendon). There is every chance Melbourne will be the west coast of next year.

Desipura
05-08-2011, 05:14 PM
people didn't think that a few weeks ago when they smashed adelaide by 14 goals. Young teams are up and down (see Essendon). There is every chance Melbourne will be the west coast of next year.

WCE at least had big bodies, they copped alot of injuries last year. I cant compare Melbourne who are younger and have players who have not fully developed thier bodies.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Game plan,
Hill in,stack out,stack in,Hill out.
Look i just get the feeling watching this year it needs freshnin up. we have got some great talent & a new coach new direction will put fire back in the bellies.
Eade has been great for us for the past 7 years but we still only have the one premiership.
I've lost faith maybe the players have too?

Yes
I Prefer to think of it like a company.
Sacking the and replacing the CEO of any corporation won't be that effective if you keep the same middle management in place, or performing has they have been.

GVGjr
05-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Any takers for Dean Baily as an assistant coach? I reckon he got a raw deal at Demons and his CV boasts experience with clubs that have had success. His less confronting and ever positive demeanor would be a good foil for Rodney's more expletive-charged style. Rocket might also feel comfortable next to someone with a similarly mature hair style. ^_^

His coaching style though seems to be a lot like Eade with regards to placing an emphasis on teaching players rather than demanding extra from them. Granted that Eade is a lot more animated once the siren goes but I don't think there is a huge difference between except of course with results :)
Despite what Bailey can offer I'd rather someone who is keen to push the group very hard on the training track.

the banker
05-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Some interesting combinations coming up in the forum.

Not as simple as first thought. I think there are options.

Not that one knows anything substantial from the outside, but impressions count for something.

Goodwin and Craig? Scott Burns. There is enough profile here to excite potential members as well...

Ghost Dog
05-08-2011, 07:18 PM
His coaching style though seems to be a lot like Eade with regards to placing an emphasis on teaching players rather than demanding extra from them. Granted that Eade is a lot more animated once the siren goes but I don't think there is a huge difference between except of course with results :)
Despite what Bailey can offer I'd rather someone who is keen to push the group very hard on the training track.

Interesting. so you feel Eade doesn't demand enough on the training track?
If so, blame would have to fall equally at the feet assistants.

Sure, players need to be pushed, but any personal trainer can do that.
The coaches should be there to create an atmosphere so that the group wants to bleed for each other, and we need someone who can bring about positive change.
Sometimes, shouting at players is not the best way to do this. Highly idealistic I know, but these are young men, with the rest of their lives ahead of them. Would want a person who can put things in the proper perspective, Allan Jeans style. I'd rather a younger ( than Baily ) teacher type myself, but that's just personal preference.

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Scott West is looking for a coaching job?

azabob
05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Scott West is looking for a coaching job?

Is he ready to come back as an assistant considering the way it ended? Why do you think he's a good possibility

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Is he ready to come back as an assistant considering the way it ended? Why do you think he's a good possibility

I don't know the ins & outs of his coaching ability, the same as all untried assistants.

But we all know we need change in the coaching department, so why not get someone who is red white & blue through & through.

The way it ended is all water under the bridge.

LoveWillMinson
05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I would hate to see Rocket leave. Think he has done wonders for the club. He has had a tough year with so many major key players having big injuries! Think we have some great young players that will really benefit from his experience and knowledge. Would love to see them make a decision about him before the season ends...

w3design
05-08-2011, 10:03 PM
I would hate to see Rocket leave. Think he has done wonders for the club. He has had a tough year with so many major key players having big injuries! Think we have some great young players that will really benefit from his experience and knowledge. Would love to see them make a decision about him before the season ends...

Agree he has done wonders and if you believe the players the all want him as coach. I would give a one year contract with the development of the playing group the main objective if the board sees improvement give a longer term deal .If no signs of progress we can have a crack at Malthouse or maybe Roos.

Remi Moses
05-08-2011, 10:20 PM
No to that^^. If we adopted that proposal we'll have endless speculation all year, if we struggle.You either go with Eade on a 3 year or he gets replaced.Actually don't think Rocket would accept a 1 year deal. For mine I reckon he's done a good job, but if he was replaced I wouldn't be shocked. I can see both sides in this

kruder
05-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Not like those 2 have ever been wrong before! :rolleyes:

In nearly all your posts all you ever want to do is push your pet hobby horse, change the record please!

Coon dog its my opinion. You dont seem to like it, bad luck!

Go and check out of winloss from the middle of last yeat till now, the complete lack of improvement in our youngsters this year and that fact that It took untill mid year to start to change the outdated game plan are pretty damming points IMO.

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2011, 11:26 PM

Go and check out of winloss from the middle of last yeat till now, the complete lack of improvement in our youngsters this year and that fact that It took untill mid year to start to change the outdated game plan are pretty damming points IMO.

How about you just bugger off and push your biased barrow somewhere else

Ghost Dog
06-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Anyway, is just sacking the coach might not be the panacea many are looking for.
If you have an understudy who knows the club, players, structures and so on well, that's fine.
But to bring in a total outsider may cost a fair bit of momentum also.

We have a fair bit to do in terms of personnel. We need people that can work well together. Would be good to snag some Sydney assistant coach who has worked with Rocket before.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-08-2011, 12:17 AM

Rocket may well have run his race! His past two years for all sorts of reasons has been his weakest during his 7 year reign. We saw a similar pattern develop with Terry Wallace.
The problem as I see it is a lack of real Footy smarts on the current Board to make the right decisions. Of the assistants both Neeld and McCartney have strong appeal having spent valuable time at successful clubs. I would like to see Chris Bond return from the West to replace James Fantasia. Bond was very highly regarded by our senior players during his time at the Bulldogs. Scott West should be encouraged to return to our club as an Assistant with the hope that he may eventually be senior coaching material, perhaps in a similar fashion to Hird and Buckley.

ledge
06-08-2011, 12:20 AM

I think thats a bit rough, he is only putting his opinion.
Some push Eades case as much as Kuder doesnt, do we tell them to bugger off too?
I am all for Rodney but will read both sides and decide myself on whether he has good points.

Dry Rot
06-08-2011, 12:44 AM
Anyway, is just sacking the coach might not be the panacea many are looking for.
If you have an understudy who knows the club, players, structures and so on well, that's fine.
But to bring in a total outsider may cost a fair bit of momentum also.

Surely you're joking? You must have an odd definition of momentum since 2009.

Remi Moses
06-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Rocket may well have run his race! His past two years for all sorts of reasons has been his weakest during his 7 year reign. We saw a similar pattern develop with Terry Wallace.
The problem as I see it is a lack of real Footy smarts on the current Board to make the right decisions. Of the assistants both Neeld and McCartney have strong appeal having spent valuable time at successful clubs. I would like to see Chris Bond return from the West to replace James Fantasia. Bond was very highly regarded by our senior players during his time at the Bulldogs. Scott West should be encouraged to return to our club as an Assistant with the hope that he may eventually be senior coaching material, perhaps in a similar fashion to Hird and Buckley.

Agree Bond would be an adequate appointment. On what grounds is Scotty West a good appointment? Get the good assistants from the top sides , not favorite sons.

Dry Rot
06-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Agree Bond would be an adequate appointment. On what grounds is Scotty West a good appointment? Get the good assistants from the top sides , not favorite sons.

Agreed. If we have a clean out, then I'd rather get guys from other clubs and cultures with a fresh eye on the place.

Greystache
06-08-2011, 02:14 AM

Yes, how dare you question the current coach or the status quo. Why would you ever risk getting someone worse merely for the chance of getting someone better. Crazy!!

Ghost Dog
06-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Surely you're joking? You must have an odd definition of momentum since 2009.

Eade is the most successful coach on win/loss ratio in the club's history. You don't call that momentum?

If the players have a good relatonship / want the current coach, and he has a decent win loss ratio, why would you sack him?

Possibly because of
A. If he has lost the ear of the players; my main concern. Are they listening to him anymore
B. If he doesn't have the ability to take us that extra step. We'll need to ramp up the coaching style to get us out of this funk.
C. Rodney's effectiveness seems to be on the wane in the past few years.

That's what the debate is about, for me.

Desipura
06-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Why cos kruders opinion differs to yours?

GVGjr
06-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Eade is the most successful coach on win/loss ratio in the club's history. You don't call that momentum?

If the players have a good relatonship / want the current coach, and he has a decent win loss ratio, why would you sack him?

A. If he has lost the ear of the players; my main concern. Are they listening to him anymore
B. If he doesn't have the ability to take us that extra step.

That's what the debate is about, for me.

Whilst I'm positive to the idea of Eade being given another 2 years I don't think the logic you have provided stands up. The win loss record isn't a strong enough consideration to reappoint on especially after a troubled season.
I also don't for one minute believe that if his contract isn't renewed it's akin to Eade being sacked. Sometimes clubs need to go in another direction with the appointment of a coach and as long as Eade see's through his current contract even if he is not there next year we won't have sacked him.

The decision to reappoint is all around if Eade can convince the board that he take this group further or to explain that this year was just a one off. If he can't convince them, then it's a very difficult decision to give him another 2 years purely on a win loss record.

The stumbling block for him is that in 14 years as a senior coach he hasn't taken either the Swans or us to a GF and that is why if he is to get another term we also need to make changes in the footy department to support him.

He needs to have a good plan to present on how he can reinvigorate the playing group rather than just pointing to his win loss record.

ledge
06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
I thought he took the swans to a GF

GVGjr
06-08-2011, 10:09 AM
I thought he took the swans to a GF

Yep, I should have mentioned that he got one in his first season

The Coon Dog
06-08-2011, 10:45 AM

I know it's your opinion, you've made it abundantly clear on many many occasions. We get you don't like/rate Eade & want him gone, but do you need to get your point across in every thread?

ledge
06-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Dean Laidley is an interesting one, I would certainly interview him, he seems very hungry and did keep a club in turmoil hope for a few years

Greystache
06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Whilst I'm positive to the idea of Eade being given another 2 years I don't think the logic you have provided stands up. The win loss record isn't a strong enough consideration to reappoint on especially after a troubled season.
I also don't for one minute believe that if his contract isn't renewed it's akin to Eade being sacked. Sometimes clubs need to go in another direction with the appointment of a coach and as long as Eade see's through his current contract even if he is not there next year we won't have sacked him.

The decision to reappoint is all around if Eade can convince the board that he take this group further or to explain that this year was just a one off. If he can't convince them, then it's a very difficult decision to give him another 2 years purely on a win loss record.

The stumbling block for him is that in 14 years as a senior coach he hasn't taken either the Swans or us to a GF and that is why if he is to get another term we also need to make changes in the footy department to support him.

He needs to have a good plan to present on how he can reinvigorate the playing group rather than just pointing to his win loss record.

He also has a career record of 1 win (with Sydney) from 11 matches in finals against top 4 sides in his 15 year career, which indicates he can get a side to be competitive but doesn't have the ability to get a team to take the next step. The club will also have to consider whether not only is Eade the man to be in charge of the rebuild, but when the team starts their upward curve again will they need to bring in a new coach who can win a premiership.

Maddog37
06-08-2011, 12:23 PM
That is a damning statistic. But could it also say he did well to get that far with the players at hand?

LostDoggy
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
No problem With Kruders opinion just that its the same story all the time and mainly BS eg Improvemnet in youngsters.

Sockeye Salmon
06-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Why cos kruders opinion differs to yours?

No because of his 50 posts, 23 have been bagging Eade and/or the match committee.

LostDoggy
06-08-2011, 12:56 PM
I would like to see a change at the Western Oval with both Coach and Football director. Also like to see our recruitment officer changed with a bigger budget in that area. Personally think recent selections on mature players have mostly been flops. Personally Ken Hinkley as my choice for a new coach with the best available assistants.

That is what I would like to see.

What will probably happen is Eade is offered 2 years with a possible 3rd. Some assistants will go and the status quo fairly much.

kruder
06-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Come on socks we dont live in North Korea. Opinion is welcome in our country.

Desipura
06-08-2011, 06:25 PM
No because of his 50 posts, 23 have been bagging Eade and/or the match committee.

Fair enough. I have obviously ignored them .

strebla
09-08-2011, 12:26 PM
I think we keep Eade I like the idea of going after Bond as I really rate him.As for Scott West wether or not he is an ex player means nothing he has been in the system for a few years now and is well rated by all reports but Kirk is the one I would really chase hard I think he is the one who leads the battle the one you die for just has than inspiration about him. Most of all I want some fresh ideas and some new voices I am not as down about next year as some on here and think our window is not yet fully closed.

LostDoggy
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Kirk is close to 0% chance if Eade is still there.
I really don't understand this infatuation with Brett Kirk. Oh yes he is a Buddhist.

bornadog
09-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Kirk is close to 0% chance if Eade is still there.
I really don't understand this infatuation with Brett Kirk. Oh yes he is a Buddhist.

I don't like him at all.

GVGjr
09-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't like him at all.

Based on what? I don't know enough about him to have an opinion either way.

bornadog
09-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Based on what? I don't know enough about him to have an opinion either way.

Based on, I don't like his personality. Coaching attributes, I wouldn't have a clue.

Desipura
09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I have had a think about this and apologies if someone else has suggested this.

I think our next coach should be a young coach who has been part of a successful team ie Mark Neeld with all our money pumped into the some of the better Assistants that are looking for a change.
I think Malthouse is getting all the credit for his structure with less emphasis on how good his Assistants have been.
Chris Bond would be a great player manager, have only heard good things about him when he was at the Dogs.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-08-2011, 05:32 PM
I have had a think about this and apologies if someone else has suggested this.

I think our next coach should be a young coach who has been part of a successful team ie Mark Neeld with all our money pumped into the some of the better Assistants that are looking for a change.
I think Malthouse is getting all the credit for his structure with less emphasis on how good his Assistants have been.
Chris Bond would be a great player manager, have only heard good things about him when he was at the Dogs.

I did suggest previously that Mark Neeld as senior coach and Chris Bond as player manager would represent good value going forward. I believe it is time for a change. We have dropped off in a number of areas over the past two years. Without Barry Hall next year, our forward line at best lacks strength and class. We have placed far too much reliance this year on a handful of players including Murphy, Boyd, Griffen, Ward and Morris.
The recruiting leaves a lot to be desired with most of the newcomers failing to impress with the possible exception of Dahlhaus who brightens up our day. Our current position on the ladder is where we should be which isn't a good sign.

Mantis
10-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I did suggest previously that Mark Neeld as senior coach and Chris Bond as player manager would represent good value going forward. I believe it is time for a change. We have dropped off in a number of areas over the past two years. Without Barry Hall next year, our forward line at best lacks strength and class. We have placed far too much reliance this year on a handful of players including Murphy, Boyd, Griffen, Ward and Morris.
The recruiting leaves a lot to be desired with most of the newcomers failing to impress with the possible exception of Dahlhaus who brightens up our day. Our current position on the ladder is where we should be which isn't a good sign.

Really?

At the start of the season we would have expected to get more out of Lake & Cooney who are best 2 players, having these guys fit for longer than they have been would have given us atleast 3 or 4 extra wins this year which would have us sitting in 6th or 7th spot.

the banker
10-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Really?

At the start of the season we would have expected to get more out of Lake & Cooney who are best 2 players, having these guys fit for longer than they have been would have given us atleast 3 or 4 extra wins this year which would have us sitting in 6th or 7th spot.

Agree. We shouldn't lose sight of this.

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Really?

Hear hear!

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Agree. We shouldn't lose sight of this.

Your comment re Lake and Cooney is understandable. The fact remains that teams like Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn and Carlton can lose quality players and still be in the top 4. Remember that at the start of the year many of the so called experts had us playing off for the flag. What has become obvious is that when we lose quality players, unlike the top teams, we do not have the depth in talent to cover these losses.
Our poor recruitment hasn't helped.

azabob
10-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Your comment re Lake and Cooney is understandable. The fact remains that teams like Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn and Carlton can lose quality players and still be in the top 4. Remember that at the start of the year many of the so called experts had us playing off for the flag. What has become obvious is that when we lose quality players, unlike the top teams, we do not have the depth in talent to cover these losses.
Our poor recruitment hasn't helped.

The recruitment team has changed and they have only two drafts under their belt.

Do you think we should already move them on?

It is a bit too early to tell how they have gone, but from limited game time we have seen from their recruits they have done ok.

GVGjr
10-08-2011, 06:50 PM
The recruitment team has changed and they have only two drafts under their belt.

Do you think we should already move them on?

It is a bit too early to tell how they have gone, but from limited game time we have seen from their recruits they have done ok.

No you can't move them on but the question is more around should they be doing better and are they operating in a competitive manner with the other sides.

the banker
12-08-2011, 01:43 PM
The coaching position review panel being made up of internal club people, IMO points to a
re-appointment for Rocket.

Ghost Dog
13-08-2011, 12:51 AM
No you can't move them on but the question is more around should they be doing better and are they operating in a competitive manner with the other sides.

The answer is

no

the proof is in the pudding. We're cellar dwellers for a reason.

Some gaping holes across the ground.

Ghost Dog
13-08-2011, 12:56 AM

Are not the recruiting and the coaching too different issues?
How much say has rocket had in some of the poorer decisions? hard to say