What can you say to this?:confused:

aker39
02-08-2011, 11:26 PM
What can you say to this?:confused:

Goodbye.

The Underdog
02-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Goodbye.

It amazes me that I can sit there in the heat of a close, intense game with my team's season on the line and I just get stopped by decisions which render me speechless and make me shake my head. I thought the free kick against Selwood was a joke and could barely clap the goal. Gieschen admitted it was wrong.
Then I was astounded by the free against Picken. How he can justify it is beyond me. not only didn't he grab him, he absolutely didn't pull him to the ground.

bornadog
02-08-2011, 11:52 PM
It amazes me that I can sit there in the heat of a close, intense game with my team's season on the line and I just get stopped by decisions which render me speechless and make me shake my head. I thought the free kick against Selwood was a joke and could barely clap the goal. Gieschen admitted it was wrong.
Then I was astounded by the free against Picken. How he can justify it is beyond me. not only didn't he grab him, he absolutely didn't pull him to the ground.

Gieschen is officially now a bigger moron than Razor. If there was any free kick it should go to Liam for holding the man after the ball had already spilled. I am so disgusted with this.

Ghost Dog
02-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Gah. Nothing can be done about it, but give Liam a big slap on the back.
Is as hungry as they come

The Adelaide Connection
03-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Wow this makes me mad. What a douche.

I was suprised to even see Dermott on the Sunday footy show say "I don't normally think a bad umpiring decision costs a team a game, but this one did".

ledge
03-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Did anyone bother to watch what happened after it?
An Eagles player was going to probably kick a goal anyway.

bornadog
03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Did anyone bother to watch what happened after it?
An Eagles player was going to probably kick a goal anyway.

You don't know that as all the players stopped when the whistle went.

G-Mo77
03-08-2011, 01:57 PM
No surprises. :rolleyes:

Gieschen just defends is own when it counts and pulls up others when it doesn't like he did with the Cloke one. OK technically it may have been there, may have, but if every little technicality was pulled up the game would never end. The umpiring is a blight on this great game and so are you Gieschen!

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
It was a crap decision and a crap but we played like crap for the firsat half and during the early part of our comeback we seemed to have a lot of decisions go our way, at least that was my feeling during the game.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 02:50 PM
It was a crap decision and a crap but we played like crap for the firsat half and during the early part of our comeback we seemed to have a lot of decisions go our way, at least that was my feeling during the game.

Quite right. Our first half cost us the game, not the umpiring decision.

Sockeye Salmon
03-08-2011, 02:58 PM
You don't know that as all the players stopped when the whistle went.

And started running our way in anticipation of a free kick to Picken

bornadog
03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
And started running our way in anticipation of a free kick to Picken

Exactlty.

I still can't believe this happened, no matter how many times I have replayed the incident. I still can't see a player being tackled, without the ball and falling over and being pinged for holding the man. If Razor said play on I would have accepted it.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Leash the Geish!

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I thought the free was there. The Wet Toast player sold it a little too well and most would have let the game play on, however, I think the Umpire was trying to even things out after the Selwood (was it?) holding the ball, 'wrong' decision, which resulted in a Dogs goal a few minutes before. Unfortunately 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Desipura
03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
My mate who does not follow the dogs thought it was clearly incorrect (which we all know it was)

always right
03-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm not upset because it cost us the game...it didn't. We managed to do that ourselves.

I just object to this whole attitude that seems to permeate the minds of some umpires that they have to be involved, they have to have an influence on a game......when the reality is it should be the reverse. It would have been just as easy for Chamerlain not to pay the free kicks to Selwood and Picken yet he chose to pluck them out. It beggars belief.

ledge
03-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not upset because it cost us the game...it didn't. We managed to do that ourselves.

I just object to this whole attitude that seems to permeate the minds of some umpires that they have to be involved, they have to have an influence on a game......when the reality is it should be the reverse. It would have been just as easy for Chamerlain not to pay the free kicks to Selwood and Picken yet he chose to pluck them out. It beggars belief.

Yes and from the Geish comments a few weeks ago it clearly points to Razor wanting to be the star.

azabob
03-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Gieschen is an eker of highest standards. Forget Luke O'Sullivan or Jayson Daniels (my personal favourite).

Crap player (assuming as I never saw him) Crap coach, was handed this job on a platter as the AFL needed someone with supposed "credibility or standing" to try and trick the media and public in giving the umpires a fairer time.

He will still be doing the job in 30 years time.

To think once upon of time of he was lucky enough to pull on the red,white and blue jumper.

w3design
03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Just like Razor I suspect Geish enjoys the limelight and a touch of controversy. Does it give him a wee bit of a thrill knowing everyone is awaiting his 'call' on the weekend's umpiring? He feeds into the umpires 'us against them' mentality by not being able to be honest about their mistakes. He kids himself he's being even handed by acknowledging a mistake with the Selwood decision just so he can be pig headed about the Picken one.

Look I accept our game is difficult to umpire. I accept that we dug ourselves a major hole in the first half. We don't really know if we would have won the game, yes, it can be said that Razor's decision was probably no more of a factor than gia's feeble shot at goal in the first half. Yep, I get all of that, but can the umpires PLEASE acknowledge when they have made a glaring mistake instead of defending over officious, technical decision making? If a fleeting 'hold' like that, in anticipation of a player taking possession of the ball, was paid every time, there would be 100 free kicks a quarter.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 08:47 PM
No.
Picken's second hand came up onto the WCE players arm, that is what made it look worse than what it was. Like I said it took a very very anal umpire (Razor Ray) to not let it go.

But no one in their right mind would pay the holding the ball decision moments earlier on Selwood that resulted in a Bulldogs goal. That was a gift to us.

SonofScray
03-08-2011, 09:20 PM
My head just exploded. That is a joke.

Desipura
03-08-2011, 09:30 PM
No.
Picken's second hand came up onto the WCE players arm, that is what made it look worse than what it was. Like I said it took a very very anal umpire (Razor Ray) to not let it go.

But no one in their right mind would pay the holding the ball decision moments earlier on Selwood that resulted in a Bulldogs goal. That was a gift to us.

I agree about the Selwood incident, hard to convince the one eyed on here that it was an incorrect decision.
Can't agree on the Picken decision though.

immortalmike
03-08-2011, 10:20 PM
No.

Watch it again Picken was tackled without the ball then he kept hold of Darling's arm for a split second. Correct decision there was a free to Picken or play on as Darling infringed first.

The Selwood decision was incorrect but as others have noted not uncommon. The Picken one was wrong and unique.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I agree about the Selwood incident, hard to convince the one eyed on here that it was an incorrect decision.
Can't agree on the Picken decision though.

I do think there was a free kick to the letter of the law, however......

The game should be umpired with a certain amount of common sense and judged by each situation. When two players fly for a mark and one of the guys spoil the other and his arm contacts the shoulder of the marker, 90% of the time light contact will be play on even though the rules say no high contact. If a player is about to get tackled and handballs the ball away before the opposition grabs his jumper only to let it go again, it is deemed play on even though the rules say no grabbing of a jumper without the ball. Most of the time umpires are not anal and don't call these things as not to turn our game into a joke. On Saturday Razor Ray called one of these types of free kicks for no other reasons than to be a drama queen that wanted influence on the game or to pay the WCEs back for a ridiculos holding the ball decision they were pinged with that resulted in a Dogs goal.

Was there a free kick to the letter of the pedantic rule book? Yes
Should it have been paid? No
Is Razor Ray Chamberlain a tool? Yes.

bornadog
03-08-2011, 11:31 PM
I do think there was a free kick to the letter of the law, however......

The game should be umpired with a certain amount of common sense and judged by each situation. When two players fly for a mark and one of the guys spoil the other and his arm contacts the shoulder of the marker, 90% of the time light contact will be play on even though the rules say no high contact. If a player is about to get tackled and handballs the ball away before the opposition grabs his jumper only to let it go again, it is deemed play on even though the rules say no grabbing of a jumper without the ball. Most of the time umpires are not anal and don't call these things as not to turn our game into a joke. On Saturday Razor Ray called one of these types of free kicks for no other reasons than to be a drama queen that wanted influence on the game or to pay the WCEs back for a ridiculos holding the ball decision they were pinged with that resulted in a Dogs goal.

HM, Picken may have held Darlings hand for one moment, but that doesnot constitute a freekick to the letter of the law. For god sake, Picken was the one being tackled not Darling. Its just a completely wrong decision.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 11:42 PM
It really does,nt surprise me that the Geishmeister would publicly state that the Free paid against us was just, fair and according to the rules and then state that a Free should have been paid to Collingwood , one umpire gets a pat on the back for keeping us in our place and one umpire gets a spray for not keeping the status quo

westbulldog
04-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Gieschen has now has put himself in the same category as Ray - incompetent.
He obviously had a previous job as a defence lawyer for Pol Pot.

Topdog
04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I do think there was a free kick to the letter of the law, .

You are wrong.

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 10:20 AM
You are wrong.

Good point. ;)

Ghost Dog
04-08-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't care. I wore my gear poroudly walking away from the ground. You can only control what you can and leave the rest to fate. It's a game, s*** happens.

There were a few dodgy calls against the eagles as well.
Facebook campaign to boycott all Razor games? ^_^

On ya Liam. Captain material anyone?

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 05:27 PM
You are wrong.

Reason????
(Plus your quote of my post edits out the "However")

Look at the video, Pickens second hand clearly comes up to grab his opponents arm.

LongWait
04-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Reason????
(Plus your quote of my post edits out the "However")

Look at the video, Pickens second hand clearly comes up to grab his opponents arm.

I'm in the minority here but I have to say I agree with you HM - Picken clearly grabbed Darling by the arm. However, if umpires penalised those sorts of minor infringements on every occasion they occur we'd have free kicks at every single contest.

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm in the minority here but I have to say I agree with you HM - Picken clearly grabbed Darling by the arm. However, if umpires penalised those sorts of minor infringements on every occasion they occur we'd have free kicks at every single contest.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. Just cause the free is there, it doesn't mean the player (Picken in this case) should be penalised for it. I don't know a way to get my point across? I guess if you get me you get me, if you don't you don't.

Topdog
04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
It's still not a free though. It goes against 15.1.1 (a) and doesn't satisfy the criteria for 15.4.5 (e)

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
It's still not a free though. It goes against 15.1.1 (a) and doesn't satisfy the criteria for 15.4.5 (e)

But falls into the criteria for 15.4.5 (c). That is what it was payed for and that is Razors and Geish's reasoning for defending the call being made.
Refer previous posts about my opinions of why it should have been let go.

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 09:22 PM
It goes against 15.1.1 (a)

Would probably agree with you on this statement though.

Topdog
05-08-2011, 05:22 PM
They used (c) in their reasoning? Seriously thats even more pathetic. I had assumed they went with (e). Goes against the spirit of the law.

westbulldog
05-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Gieschen has now has put himself in the same category as Ray - incompetent.
He obviously had a previous job as a defence lawyer for Pol Pot.

Just by way of follow up, Ray has a gig in the Wobblers vrs Port this Saturday night - the AFL thus justifies his non-performance last week - pathetic.

Dancin' Douggy
05-08-2011, 11:02 PM
The AFL is becoming a living example of "The Emperor's new Clothes"

The umpires are right.
Tanking doesn't exist.
Chris Judd's deal with Visy is absolutely fine.
GWS didn't break any rules re poaching players.
The 'draw' is fair.

THE WHOLE FRIKKIN' VILLAGE KNOWS THE EMPEROR IS NAKED!!!

But Demetriou and his parade keep marching in their overblown nude march,
blowing their own trumpets and thinking we are all idiots,
Sure, a bit of spin from Adrian Anderson will bamboozle all us peasants.
A little bit of 'pretend legal terminology' from the goofballs at the top will ease our concerns.

I'm probably in the same camp as a lot of people,
if I didn't love the game itself so much I would be out of here.

bornadog
06-08-2011, 12:49 PM
The AFL is becoming a living example of "The Emperor's new Clothes"

The umpires are right.
Tanking doesn't exist.
Chris Judd's deal with Visy is absolutely fine.
GWS didn't break any rules re poaching players.
The 'draw' is fair.

THE WHOLE FRIKKIN' VILLAGE KNOWS THE EMPEROR IS NAKED!!!

But Demetriou and his parade keep marching in their overblown nude march,
blowing their own trumpets and thinking we are all idiots,
Sure, a bit of spin from Adrian Anderson will bamboozle all us peasants.
A little bit of 'pretend legal terminology' from the goofballs at the top will ease our concerns.

I'm probably in the same camp as a lot of people,
if I didn't love the game itself so much I would be out of here.

Totally agree and you can add a lot more to your list as well. TV exposure and free to air, the pursuit of dollars to the detriment of smaller clubs, ANZAC day and block busters, Stadium deals, the whole shamozzle with start up teams, ie taking 18/19 years olds off Adelaide and Melbourne for starters (they should have been hands off), the so called tribunal system, rule changes, the sub rule debacle and the effect it has on players and injuries.

I can go on and on.