PDA

View Full Version : Hudson Retire?

A dogs life
02-08-2011, 11:42 PM
I am very much up in the air as to whether hudson should retire or not, what are people's thoughts?
My concern is if he goes on he will then fall away very quickly next year.
I really want Roughhead to take on the number one roll.

The Adelaide Connection
03-08-2011, 12:20 AM
My concern is that if he does go on we may lose Minson (who is seemingly in very good form and I am not sure how long he will want to play second fiddle ahnging around down at Willi).

Should Will leave and Hudson did go down we could be left exposed and thinon stocks like the Hawks in the last few years.

FrediKanoute
03-08-2011, 03:05 AM
Maybe we can do what we did with Mitch Hahn......put him on the rookie list so that we are forced to play Minno and Roughie, but with cover if one goes down.

Remi Moses
03-08-2011, 04:19 AM
He'll retire I reckon. Got pantsed by Cox ( stupid phrase I know).

MrMahatma
03-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah, last year I think. The time is right.

Mantis
03-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Maybe we can do what we did with Mitch Hahn......put him on the rookie list so that we are forced to play Minno and Roughie, but with cover if one goes down.

But in reality putting Hahn on the rookie list this year has been a waste.

the banker
03-08-2011, 09:17 AM
A great contributer to the team, but time is fast catching up. I think he will retire.

Smelling change at the Dogs.

The Coon Dog
03-08-2011, 09:28 AM
I think the sub rule has had much more of a profound effect on ruckmen this year in that they're required to spend more time on the ground. The older you get, the harder this becomes.

Mantis
03-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I think the sub rule has had much more of a profound effect on ruckmen this year in that they're required to spend more time on the ground. The older you get, the harder this becomes.

I certainly agree with that.... and it's especially tough on a ruckman like Huddo who is unable to spend time 'resting' up forward.

bornadog
03-08-2011, 09:49 AM

As much as I hate to say it, Huddo needs a tap on the shoulder. The sub rule has killed the type of ruckman he is and with age catching up, time to give the younger ruckman ago.

Huddo has been fantastic for us ,one of the best mature age recruits we have ever got.

ledge
03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Everyone says he should go but obviously he is our best or Eade wouldnt be picking him every week and pretty much going alone.

The Coon Dog
03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Everyone says he should go but obviously he is our best or Eade wouldnt be picking him every week and pretty much going alone.

We've recently seen a number of players that in hindsight have gone on a year too long (Johnson, Eagleton & Akermanis) & I hope Huddo isn't another.

Whilst Eade may be picking him, we're looking at 2011 & I just don't see Huddo playing next year.

Desipura
03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
We've recently seen a number of players that in hindsight have gone on a year too long (Johnson, Eagleton & Akermanis) & I hope Huddo isn't another.

Whilst Eade may be picking him, we're looking at 2011 & I just don't see Huddo playing next year.
Its a strange one isnt it? Eade & the MC are saying Huddo is currently our number one ruckman with Minson not rated ahead of him.
They are also saying Huddo and Minson cannot play in the same side however when Huddo goes, Minson will probably be our number one ruckman.
Basically Minson is our number 2 first ruck but number 3 ruckman when Huddo is in the side.

If Huddo plays next year, I expect Minson to look elsewhere.

ledge
03-08-2011, 12:01 PM

On this basis shouldnt Eade be playing who he thinks our 1st choice next year is from now on or.... is the number 1 ruck already playing at another club?
Before people ask if I know anything, no I dont was just a thought.

Desipura
03-08-2011, 12:05 PM
On this basis shouldnt Eade be playing who he thinks our 1st choice next year is from now on or.... is the number 1 ruck already playing at another club?
Before people ask if I know anything, no I dont was just a thought.

If thats the case, Hall should not be playing. Grant should be playing at full forward if thats who they have earmarked for that position.
Same could be said about Gilbee getting games ahead of Howard.

Hot_Doggies
03-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Hudson must retire.

And Minson should be traded. Even if it means we pick up a VFL/WAFL/SAFL war horse ruckman to cover Cordy/Roughead. Our chances for a flag are gone for another 3-5yrs anyway.

Might be able to squeeze pick 30 out of GWS for Minson, take it and run.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
With the consensus being that the sub rule has forced our hand, what's our view on the sub rule? Should a rule have that much impact on people's careers? Seems a bit ridiculous -- I mean, I know that dinosaur full forwards don't really exist anymore but that was more of a gradual evolution, in this case, it's 'artificial' ie. Huddo would still be a gun if the sub rule wasn't brought in.

More broadly, can we then extend the hypothesis to say that since the sub rule has affected our clearance team so badly (ie. not maximising either Huddo or Minnow), it has had quite a significant impact on our season as a whole? We were one of the best clearance teams in the comp last year, but effectively having our ruck division's effectiveness halved has definitely affected our clearance work this year.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 12:23 PM
ps. I don't think Huddo was 'pantsed' by Cox, generally speaking. His clearance work, along with Boydy and Ward, was central to our massive comeback. However, he is not the kind of dude that can ruck for 4 quarters without much support (Jordy didn't play well) and faded towards the end of the 4th, and was outmarked at the death. More rotations ie. if the sub rule hadn't been brought in, may well have allowed him to remain fresher later into the game.

Is the sub rule costing us games?

ledge
03-08-2011, 12:34 PM
If thats the case, Hall should not be playing. Grant should be playing at full forward if thats who they have earmarked for that position.

Good point maybe your right, if the club doesnt think we can make finals now of course.
Then again who knows we might playing these players.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 03:22 PM

I would argue that Hudson and Minson are line ball at the moment and therefore the younger player should be selected. Hudson is strong at stoppages but is a liability in general play. He can't kick and can't mark. Minson for all his faults is a good kick, both at goal and general field kicking. He also snaffles a contested mark or two on occasion so needs to be watched in the air. His ruckwork is also pretty good. With our team already loaded up with inside grunt, I don't think we'll lose much if anything by playing Minson over Hudson.

Hall and Grant is different in that Hall is so far ahead of Grant, it's depressing.

LostDoggy
03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
I thought Hudson should be playing second fiddle to Minson this year. But that did not happen. I do wonder though if he would have been better against COX etc. Time will tell but if I was Minson I would be looking else where right now. If he does play first Ruck next year it will only be a matter of time before Ayce and Roughy take over.

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Has anyone asked "The Beard"? LOL!

Seriously, I think this will be his last year. I think he will retire........ (along with a couple of others!)

LostDoggy
04-08-2011, 06:44 PM
He'll retire I reckon. Got pantsed by Cox.

Bravo!

(Is that you Cometti?)

chef
05-08-2011, 09:31 AM
He's made quite the impact for the short time he has been on our list.

strebla
05-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Just wondering how many games he has played in a bulldogs jumper ???

The Coon Dog
05-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Just wondering how many games he has played in a bulldogs jumper ???

Eighty six.

Cyberdoggie
05-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Eighty six.

So no "Son of Beard" in the future.

strebla
05-08-2011, 11:55 AM
MMMMMMM sounds a bit too close to 100 for my liking.