PDA

View Full Version : Push for State of Origin footy comeback

bornadog
04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Michael Warner From: Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/push-for-state-of-origin-footy-comeback/story-e6frf9jf-1226108591618)

STATE of Origin football could be revived and a mid-season trade window introduced as early as next season.

The two options were raised at a meeting of the league’s chief executives and AFL chiefs yesterday.

League football operations manager Adrian Anderson tonight confirmed the push.

“The CEOs are happy for us to have a closer look at the State of Origin suggestion,” Anderson said.

“The mid-season window might make the trade system more flexible.”

The push for a return of State of Origin is being led by the players.

AndrewP6
04-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Damo reporting on The Footy Show on the possibility of a mid-season trade period.

soupman
04-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Michael Warner From: Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/push-for-state-of-origin-footy-comeback/story-e6frf9jf-1226108591618)

STATE of Origin football could be revived and a mid-season trade window introduced as early as next season.

WTF?

Why is there a need for this? Why does the fact that it works well in other sports (NFL, EPL etc.) mean we have to follow suit?

The positives of the idea as I see it are as follows:
-It gives good sides a chance to get better or cover for injury

That's it. So it's going to mean sides like Collingwood can trade an injured player on the fringe to a shit side like the Demons for a fringe player there who is fit. That's surely all it's going to achieve.

They just showed a clip of Adrian Anderson talking about why it is a good idea on the Footy Show. He basically said that the CEO's supported it, and a key reason it sounds good is this:

The AFL has seen the recent increase in interest and intrigue in the trade period from fans, and thus would like to give them another window as it is an exciting time for clubs supporters.

So he's saying a major reason they are looking to bring it in is because fans like the excitement of swapping players. Get stuffed. That is a terrible reason to bring something this competition changing and needless in, at least Free gency and the new clubs serve a greater purpose. I understand the AFL is essentially an "entertainment" business, but having said that how many supporters are going to be angry with this bastardisation of the culture of our game.

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 01:23 PM
I wonder what a mid-season trade window would do to and for clubs trying to manage disgruntled players. Can there be the appropriate due diligence in the midst of the football season?

Here's an example: If it was in this year, would we have traded Lake, only to regret it at the end of the year?

I fail to see any reason that a trade needs to occur mid-year except for the short-term fix, and list management decisions shouldn't be made for the short term — as we are re-learning this year.

As for State Of Origin, I'd be rapt to see it back as long as clubs allow the big stars to play, and we don't have to listen to all the bullshit if Dane Swan does his knee (for example).

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I wonder what a mid-season trade window would do to and for clubs trying to manage disgruntled players. Can there be the appropriate due diligence in the midst of the football season?

Here's an example: If it was in this year, would we have traded Lake, only to regret it at the end of the year?

I fail to see any reason that a trade needs to occur mid-year except for the short-term fix, and list management decisions shouldn't be made for the short term — as we are re-learning this year.

As for State Of Origin, I'd be rapt to see it back as long as clubs allow the big stars to play, and we don't have to listen to all the bullshit if Dane Swan does his knee (for example).

I can understand a mid-season draft of 1-2 players per team taken from the State leagues but a mid-season trade period is stupid.

We will end up with a Bernie Jones scenario where he played for Essendon one week and Hawthorn against Essendon the next.

I hate State of Origin and hope no Bulldogs player ever plays.

soupman
05-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Just thinking the biggest nebefit a mid-season trade period could be is for players who won't be at the club the following year. It would almost act as a trial period. For example, last year we could have traded for Djerrkurra for the second half of the year, seen how he went and if we liked him kept him and if not, nothing lost. It would almost be like a loan. Would need the host club to be cooperative though.

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Just thinking the biggest nebefit a mid-season trade period could be is for players who won't be at the club the following year. It would almost act as a trial period. For example, last year we could have traded for Djerrkurra for the second half of the year, seen how he went and if we liked him kept him and if not, nothing lost. It would almost be like a loan. Would need the host club to be cooperative though.

And they would do this why?

the banker
05-08-2011, 03:35 PM
No and No

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I can understand a mid-season draft of 1-2 players per team taken from the State leagues but a mid-season trade period is stupid.

We will end up with a Bernie Jones scenario where he played for Essendon one week and Hawthorn against Essendon the next.

I hate State of Origin and hope no Bulldogs player ever plays.

Yes, it would be great to see Cooney,Griffen and Lake playing for the Coneheads against Ward and Murphy representing the Vics, NOT

Ozza
05-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Personally - I loved State of Origin when I was a kid - and would be rapt to see it back again - if all were fully on board with the idea. Hard to imagine everyone (particularly clubs) getting behind it.

Dancin' Douggy
05-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I will declare my hand and say i LOVE state of origin.
I LOVE the big V.
Please please please let it happen.

Remi Moses
05-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Warning Warning Warning
AFL Diversion of tanking talk.
State of Origin is done, the demands of the game mean nobody will play.
The mid - season draft is a good idea ( sounds like a replica of what the MLB does)
Clubs become buyers or sellers depending on ladder status

chef
06-08-2011, 02:42 PM
No and no.

SOO is a dinosaur that is long dead and shouldn't be dug up again.

soupman
07-08-2011, 12:12 AM
And they would do this why?

They wouldn't. But it's the main benefit I can see from the rule.