PDA

View Full Version : The positives from this season

BulldogBelle
29-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Ok, let's cast aside the dissapointing season we have to date and try and rummage through and try and find some positives both on and off the field...

* The emergence of Everitt, Williams & Harbrow, those boys will continue on and be an important part of the Dogs future.

* Off field another record in Memberships, we must back this up in 2008.

* Off field - Finally the redevelopment is happening and has been started

Dry Rot
29-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Boyd and Harris stood up for most of the year and one knee reco victim made it through the season.

Perhaps Skipper has shown a bit.

Draft pick 4 or 5 (getting difficult now)....

westdog54
29-08-2007, 10:25 PM
This is going to sound like a wierd positive, but the players got a kick in the backside and learned that finals aren't going to be handed to them on a silver platter, they've got to put in the work.

It may not be the recession we had to have, but I think the players will be hungry to climb back up the ladder over summer.

bornadog
29-08-2007, 11:43 PM
This is going to sound like a wierd positive, but the players got a kick in the backside and learned that finals aren't going to be handed to them on a silver platter, they've got to put in the work.

It may not be the recession we had to have, but I think the players will be hungry to climb back up the ladder over summer.

Yes agree that is a positive out of a negative.

bornadog
29-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Six players debuting in the one season, I can't remember that for a long time and it will really help us in the future. As BB says, Williams, Everitt and Harbrow the outstanding of these

Two nominees for the rising star with Higgins showing he is going to be a good player for us in the future.

Addison almost a first year player as he only played one last year. Again showed he can play football.

Aker and his professionalism at training and on the field, I think is a bonus and role model for others (football terms)

BulldogBelle
29-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Six players debuting in the one season, I can't remember that for a long time and it will really help us in the future.

True, it has been awhile since that has occured. I hope another positive this week will be Andrejs Everitt getting a Rising star nomination. If he doesn't I think he is still eligible to get one next season.

westdog54
30-08-2007, 11:05 AM
True, it has been awhile since that has occured. I hope another positive this week will be Andrejs Everitt getting a Rising star nomination. If he doesn't I think he is still eligible to get one next season.

Will only have played 9 games I believe, so scrapes in for eligibility

Bulldog Revolution
02-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Admirable effort BulldogBelle - theres a lot to be said for positivity

Record membership - congrats Cam Rose and team

The debuts of three players who all could be phenomenal: Everitt, Williams, Harbrow

Hargrave - underrated performer coming off no preseason

West - has probably maintained his standard whilst everyone else around him has dropped away

Boyd - from rookie list to 2007 best and fairest? I am inclined to make him captain as of the 2008 season - I think he is the role model this team needs.

Go_Dogs
02-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Doogs proving he can hold down a spot in the backline.

The continued rise of Williams, Harbrow, Higgins and Everitt.

Cooney getting fitter and more willing to work harder.

Boyd having another break out year. (How many can he have?)

Harris becoming a premier fullback who can be relied on week in week out (for the most part, but his consistency is certainly much improved over the course of the season).

We now know a lot more about our list, and hopefully what is going to be required by both players and staff to get us to the next level and the few after that.

G-Mo77
03-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Blooding some kids this year and getting a lot of them in the process.

*Williams and Everitt are well above my expectations and I'm excited to see how they develop in the future.
*Harbrow was also a diamond in the rough and hopefully we can see big things from him over the years.
*Tiller also looked quite good after his surprising senior selection
*Higgins is just a star simple as that

Cooney while still has some work to do to be a big time player in this league he showed signs this year that he has worked on his weakness' Looks to go in a lot harder and tackling has improved a lot.

Skipper impressed me a lot since he came back and probably saved his own butt in the last 5 weeks. He won't hold down the #1 Ruck spot but if we can get Minson performing or get another key ruckman this guy will be a very valuable #2

Boyd and Harris have been pretty consitant all year and are probably the 2 favorites for winning the B+F at the club.

The redevelopment of W.O. it can't be a negative. This is one huge positive for the club!

Bulldog Revolution
03-09-2007, 07:45 PM
*Higgins is just a star simple as that

Whilst in a lot of ways whilst Higgins' talent excites me, he also symbolises the transition we have to make as a club and team. He has to get fitter and stronger, and do more of the 1 & 2%ers. He's an impressive kid so there nothing to suggest he wont do it, but the challenge lies ahead of him.

Go_Dogs
03-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Exactly. He's one I put in the Cooney boat, of 'knowing' they can make it at the highest level, but not yet realising how much hard work it's going to take to get there. Cooney has realised this by now, obviously, and you can see the benefits of his willingness to work harder both ways. Give him a full pre-season and watch out. Higgins will learn and get better too.

Mofra
03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
I still think we have two guys who (from the few times I saw them) will more than likely debut next year - Stack & O'Shea. Development might be slow, but these two look like they are worth waiting for.

The loss of Robbins (specifically his defensive pressure in teh F50) will be offset next year by Harbrow playing more games. He runs hard to clog space & slow the opposition. It takes discipline to do this as hard as he does, which is a fair indication of a young player who will become a regular sooner rather than later.

Bulldog Revolution
03-09-2007, 10:34 PM
I still think we have two guys who (from the few times I saw them) will more than likely debut next year - Stack & O'Shea. Development might be slow, but these two look like they are worth waiting for.

The loss of Robbins (specifically his defensive pressure in teh F50) will be offset next year by Harbrow playing more games. He runs hard to clog space & slow the opposition. It takes discipline to do this as hard as he does, which is a fair indication of a young player who will become a regular sooner rather than later.

I didn't see a lot of OShea Mofra but from all reports his competitiveness and attack on the footy sounded very encouraging - and he seemed to improve a lot as the year went on. Stack reminded me of a young Daniel Wells in the brief glimpses I saw, so I was excited with the athleticism of him.

Harbrow was one of the finds of the season for me, even watching him yesterday he just looked such a strong runner for a kid - I have no doubt he will come back fitter and stronger in 2007.

bornadog
03-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Harbrow was one of the finds of the season for me, even watching him yesterday he just looked such a strong runner for a kid - I have no doubt he will come back fitter and stronger in 2007.

He also has good defensive skills but as you say he needs to come back a lot stronger.

Go_Dogs
04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I for one am REALLY looking forward to seeing Stack, Hill and Lynch have bigger impacts next year. O'Shea could surprise and play early next year too going by his solid improvements over the season.

bornadog
04-09-2007, 01:42 PM
One postive from losing against North is we finished 13th instead of 10th, so better draft picks.

southerncross
04-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Getting games and significant minutes into a number of the youngsters has to have been the main positive from the season. I actually think that the way McDougall answered his demotion to the 2nds for a number of week and then bounced back with a number of good games as a significant step as well.