PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Walsh - Property Manager - Congratulations from WOOF

bornadog
10-08-2011, 01:39 PM
88 year old Eddie has been involved with the Bulldogs for over 71 years and today had the property room named after him. Past Champions and current players were there for the naming.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/40kjh.jpg

more photos can be found here: (http://yfrog.com/kjph5tj)

Its the dedication of guys like Eddie that keep a club going.

ledge
10-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Star studded group of players there.

Twodogs
10-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Star studded group of players there.

Make a bloody good side.

Congrats to Eddie.

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 04:01 PM
It irks me that I don't know this but who are the two at the front?

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-08-2011, 04:30 PM
It irks me that I don't know this but who are the two at the front?

The guy in the middle in front on left of Rohan Smith is Ron Simmons, who was the club's runner for 300 games plus,.

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Fantastic recognition for someone who has obviously dedicated their life to our fantastic club! Congratulations.

BTW - who is standing next to Simon Beasley. Can someone help me out, I think my eyes are failing.......LOL!

Sockeye Salmon
10-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Fantastic recognition for someone who has obviously dedicated their life to our fantastic club! Congratulations.

BTW - who is standing next to Simon Beasley. Can someone help me out, I think my eyes are failing.......LOL!

It looks a bit like Ricky Kennedy's dad.

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 10:36 PM
What about the guys behind and in front of Charlie?

AndrewP6
10-08-2011, 11:13 PM
What about the guys behind and in front of Charlie?

Isn't it Simon Beasley and Rick Kennedy behind?

AndrewP6
10-08-2011, 11:14 PM

and...

The guy in the middle in front on left of Rohan Smith is Ron Simmons, who was the club's runner for 300 games plus,.

AndrewP6
10-08-2011, 11:15 PM
What a champ.

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 01:23 AM
I reckon the guy behind Charlies head is Terry Wheeler, I know the guy in front but life of me can't think of his his name is it Bill Woods ?

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 08:38 AM
I reckon the guy behind Charlies head is Terry Wheeler, I know the guy in front but life of me can't think of his his name is it Bill Woods ?

Thanks I thought it mIght of been Terry.

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Charlie is on the left standing not the middle seated

Mantis
11-08-2011, 08:55 AM

If that's Ron he has changed quite a bit since I saw him last.

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 11:00 AM
It looks a bit like Ricky Kennedy's dad.

LOL! Thanks! You have however, reminded me, just how old I am getting! (But that's okay!)

bornadog
11-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Honour 71 years in the making -By Jennifer Witham (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/120701/default.aspx)

THE PROPERTY room at Whitten Oval was officially given a new name on Wednesday with past and present players gathering to honour long-time volunteer and club icon Eddie Walsh.

The 88-year-old, who former captain Brad Johnson said was as "a hero of everyone", was unaware of the occasion and sat quietly at his usual post at the window of the property room as the large crowd gathered.

Walsh has been at Whitten Oval for 71 years - predominantly as a volunteer - and currently holds the title of property steward for the 46 listed players.

Now, his presence at the Footscray ground will live on well beyond his official association with the club after the launch of the Eddie Walsh Property Room.

Club president David Smorgon said his name was significant not only within the club but also the western suburbs in general.

"For 71 years, Eddie has been at this football club, wearing the red, white and blue in one phase or another," he said.

"Over recent times, he's had the luxury of having this wonderful property room with all the cupboards and spaces and he sits at this chair and makes sure everyone signs in and signs out.

"He makes sure all the players sign the footballs and the jumpers, and whatever else he's asked to do, and that's Eddie's commitment to this club.

"You couldn't think of a better tribute to a person who's had 71 years of involvement to see all of our past champions here today to pay respect to him."

Walsh's affiliation with the club dates back to 1940 after he moved from the country Victorian town of Shepparton to Melbourne as a 16-year-old.

"He hasn't moved out since," Smorgon said.

He also worked with the Victorian Railways in Newport for 47 years, which is where he started and ended his working life.

He witnessed the Dogs' only premiership in 1954 from the fence of the MCG a week after being involved in a Grand Final win with the club's third-18 as the team's secretary.

Sutton, who was captain and coach of the Dogs' lone senior flag, said he believed Walsh could "keep doing what he's done for all those years" for a few more seasons to come.

"He's going alright. He's made of the right stuff," Sutton said.

"He used to do similar to what he's doing now but not to such a big scale."

Walsh was also club registrar, a position that no longer exists, from 1958 to 1962, and his duties included checking in the players as they arrived at training and checking them out when they left.

He did the same on match days, and was also responsible for making sure that the match permits were in place to allow players who were tied to other clubs to play games.

He was then made property steward of the seconds before being promoted to senior property steward in 1967 from Bill Mahon, back when the property room was a mere space at the end of the changing room with a high ceiling and a ladder for reaching things.

His room today, behind the small window he sits at where he can best access the players when they need to sign things, is much larger and has washing machines and driers, and even has a van in the driveway to transport equipment to various grounds.

Walsh said Johnson had been a stand-out player during his time at the club, and that you "could not find a better man".

Johnson, who was among former club greats such as Sutton, Tony Liberatore, Luke Darcy and Rohan Smith at Wednesday's announcement, said Walsh's contribution had been monumental.

"Certainly the club would have been in a lot worse financial ruin at certain times if Eddie didn't stop giving out the shorts and socks and jumpers, that he was very tight with doing," he said.

"More recently you'd see Eddie sitting here and he might fall asleep on the odd occasion and you'd think you were a chance to sneak in here and get a few extra things.

"But he'd sleep with one eye open, that's for sure, and you couldn't get away with anything."

Walsh will turn 89 in six weeks' time. He has lived in the same house, across the bridge from the ground, for 71 years, and starts each day at 7.30am when he is picked up by head property steward Noel Kinniburgh.

He was honoured with life membership 53 years ago, but has had his most fun at his post in recent years.

"We have had good times and we have had bad times but the best time of my involvement is now," he said.

"We have a successful playing side and our facilities are second to none.

"The players that we have today are a good bunch but some things will never change and you still get the ones who complain about things not being quite right, their jumpers or shorts are just not the perfect fit.

"I am a Bulldog fanatic and will be until I die. All can see is red, white and blue".

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 11:51 AM
People like Eddie are what makes our club so great, Thanks Eddie for the giving the club such wonderful service for a very long time.

Murphy'sLore
11-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Brought a lump to my throat...

bornadog
11-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Brought a lump to my throat...

Imagine he has mostly been a volunteer, incredible effort.

craigsahibee
11-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Darcy was talking about this on Triple M this morning. You could hear the genuine admiration Luke had for Eddie in his voice. Well done Eddie, you're a champ.

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Agree with all the sentiments here, this is what makes a club still a club rather than a business. Awesome effort.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-08-2011, 05:37 PM
If that's Ron he has changed quite a bit since I saw him last.

He has aged somewhat! Would be around 75 now!

Bulldog Revolution
12-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Outstanding contribution to the club

Without people like this you don't have a club

Terrific to see all those former champs honour Eddie

Twodogs
12-08-2011, 01:22 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/40kjh.jpg

All those champs and 'Tits' is the only one whose looking down the barrel of the camera. He missed nothing. Except for the odd two or three weeks for belting somebody!

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 01:23 AM
On ya Eddie!!

Mitcha
24-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Apparently passed away this morning, had been battling in hospital for 7-8 weeks or so.

ledge
24-12-2011, 04:43 PM
yep at the Western Hospital, reported on website. 89 years of age 71 of it at club amazing

Ghost Dog
24-12-2011, 07:34 PM
All those champs and 'Tits' is the only one whose looking down the barrel of the camera. He missed nothing. Except for the odd two or three weeks for belting somebody!

Sorry to hear of the passing of Eddie. A life well lived and well loved.

I know the younger faces and of course Charlie sutton, but could we have a list of everyone who is in this photo? couple of faces Im not sure of.

LostDoggy
24-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Rip Eddie, thank you for the years of service you have given the dogs.

Remi Moses
25-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Sad loss. Seventy one years is one amazing effort.

Raw Toast
27-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Heartbreaking loss of an incredible servant to the Club. RIP

KT31
27-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Sad to hear od Eddie's passing.
Wonderful contribution to the Doggies.
Imagine the stories and personalities he would know and met.
He would have been great to sit down and had a whisky with and just listened.
RIP

ratsmac
28-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear this. Eddie Walsh, what a champion bloke!
R.I.P Ed.

NoName
29-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Funeral (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/127630/default.aspx)details for Eddie Walsh as seen on the Bulldogs website.

chef
30-12-2011, 08:42 AM
RIP Eddie, you will be missed.

DOG GOD
31-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Sorry to hear about his passing....now that is loyalty. RIP Eddie.