PDA

View Full Version : Ben Hudson

Mantis
30-08-2007, 09:16 AM
I have it on good authority that Hudson is unhappy at Adelaide and wants out, preferably a return to Melbourne. Is he a player we should look at?

southerncross
30-08-2007, 09:30 AM
I have it on good authority that Hudson is unhappy at Adelaide and wants out, preferably a return to Melbourne. Is he a player we should look at?

In my opinion yes he is. If he is looking to leave then Meesen might then be a required player for the Crows.

Could be part of a McMahon back to SA package.

Mantis
30-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Could be part of a McMahon back to SA package.

Was thinking the same. Who would hold the aces in this deal? Would we see a straight swap? Personally I think we would be happy with Hudson + 3rd rd for McMahon. I think Hudson has a lot to offer.

southerncross
30-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Was thinking the same. Who would hold the aces in this deal? Would we see a straight swap? Personally I think we would be happy with Hudson + 3rd rd for McMahon. I think Hudson has a lot to offer.

I think we could do a bit better than that but I agree Hudson has some value to a team like us.

Any chance that we are interested in Whitnall?

Mantis
30-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Any chance that we are interested in Whitnall?

It depends on Eade's definition of a power forward?

Does he want a lead up CHF type, a leading FF or a pack marking/ crashing type?

Once that is defined it makes it easier to predict the type of player he will chase.

bornadog
30-08-2007, 09:59 AM
It depends on Eade's definition of a power forward?

Does he want a lead up CHF type, a leading FF or a pack marking/ crashing type?

Once that is defined it makes it easier to predict the type of player he will chase.

The trouble is every one wants a power forward and clubs arenot going to let players like that go, unless they are ageing like Whitnall. I think we need to groom a couple of young players into the role. I know we have tried, but injury has killed us - Walsh, Morgan, Williams and Tiller (prior to this year). They are young (exclude Morgan) but have not had game time up forward to learn the role. Not sure where they will eventually settle with Williams, ie back or forward and what will happen with Wight? Either way we need to have a couple of these guys being groomed for the roles ie CHF and FF.

I don't know much about Ben Hudson, but seems to have done well and would fit in at the dogs.

Mantis
30-08-2007, 10:14 AM
The trouble is every one wants a power forward and clubs arenot going to let players like that go, unless they are ageing like Whitnall. I think we need to groom a couple of young players into the role. I know we have tried, but injury has killed us - Walsh, Morgan, Williams and Tiller (prior to this year). They are young (exclude Morgan) but have not had game time up forward to learn the role. Not sure where they will eventually settle with Williams, ie back or forward and what will happen with Wight? Either way we need to have a couple of these guys being groomed for the roles ie CHF and FF.

That's all good and well, but we need someone now, not in 2 or 3 years after this grooming process. I too would like to see Tiller, Wight and Williams groomed for the roles you mention, but we need a no.1 forward, someone these young guys can learn from. A key man who performs well on a regular basis and takes the 'heat' off the young guys. The young guys do not have the consistency in there games at present, but this will come in time, hopefully.

Go_Dogs
30-08-2007, 11:21 AM
I'd want at least a second round given Hudson's age and the fact he's done a knee. I guess I would take it though, if that was our only option. Hudson could offer a lot more short term than say Meesen, which could be beneficial.

The Underdog
30-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Certainly think Hudson could be a worthwhile pickup. Like Darcy a few years ago (although not as good) in that he is good at the clearances after the tap as well as in the ruck contest. Ruck and clearances being areas we need big time assistance in.

As for Whitnall, one of his knees is apparently pretty much shot. Not worth the trouble especially considering the weight issue that has been a constant throughout his career.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2007, 08:47 PM
How old is he?

Would have to be packaged with a 2nd rounder at least for McMahon. He is a decent player, though. Shame he did his knee. Even bigger shame he was running around in our own backyard and we missed him.

How does he compare with Meesen for those in the know?

GVGjr
30-08-2007, 09:20 PM
How old is he?

Would have to be packaged with a 2nd rounder at least for McMahon. He is a decent player, though. Shame he did his knee. Even bigger shame he was running around in our own backyard and we missed him.

How does he compare with Meesen for those in the know?

Hudson is 29 early next season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
30-08-2007, 09:27 PM
his age & knee trouble really concern me.. unless Eade is confident of Minson picking up form.. and views Hudson as a stop gap short term measure, until Minson steps up.

If the Crows want McMahon I would want Hudson plus another player or a decent draft pick thrown in to make it worthwhile.

Go_Dogs
31-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Exactly. We'd want another 2nd round pick at least, that way we could set ourselves up to draft a developing ruck in the drafts top 30, and still fill some other needs with good quality top 30 selections.

As far as another player, not too sure if we'd really want another Crows fringe player thrown in, and they'll be pretty reluctant to pass up any quality when they can trade a pick me thinks.

hargs37
02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Not sure some on here arent rating Jordy a little to highly. the crows arent silly, and this bloke was all Australian a few years ago. He's gradually improved as the years gone on, while Jordyy's form has gone backwards in a hurry. I reckon a straight swap would probably be the best we could achieve, maybe a very late pick as well.

Go_Dogs
02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
I think your under-selling McMahon here, and how good he could become. Most players don't hit their straps till 24-25-26 and McMahon is just entering his prime years. He's damaging by foot, he's fast and he can play back/forward/through the midfield. He's going to be a 200+ game player by the end of his career, and one who, for mine, is the type who could win a Brownlow, or a Norm Smith. To say that he is only worth a second string, aging, and bad knee ruck, is pretty far off the mark for mine.

Perhaps my screen name is clouding my vision slightly though.

W W Biscuit
02-09-2007, 11:43 AM
this bloke was all Australian a few years ago.

Are you referring to Hudson?

Go_Dogs
02-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Neither McMahon or Hudson have been AA.

Bulldog Revolution
02-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I think your under-selling McMahon here, and how good he could become. Most players don't hit their straps till 24-25-26 and McMahon is just entering his prime years. He's damaging by foot, he's fast and he can play back/forward/through the midfield. He's going to be a 200+ game player by the end of his career, and one who, for mine, is the type who could win a Brownlow, or a Norm Smith. To say that he is only worth a second string, aging, and bad knee ruck, is pretty far off the mark for mine.

Perhaps my screen name is clouding my vision slightly though.

I agree Macca

I thought McMahon highlighted today how easily he can perform pretty well at this level - He has to be prodded to go to the next level, and eliminate some weaknesses - but he is still a player with enormous upside. I do not want to see him leave, but I do want him to grow up.

Go_Dogs
02-09-2007, 08:26 PM
I want him to play as an attacking wing, how good were a few of his runs and kicks today? When he's on song he's one of our most damaging players for his pace and long sweeping kicks. He's one who hurts too. That's what I like to see, someone who hurts when Harvey takes a mark over their backs, someone who'll argue a bit when a decision goes against them, someone who cares.

Well done today McMahon, and hopefully not the last time we get to see him run out in a Dogs jumper.

Bulldog Revolution
02-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I want him to play as an attacking wing, how good were a few of his runs and kicks today? When he's on song he's one of our most damaging players for his pace and long sweeping kicks. He's one who hurts too. That's what I like to see, someone who hurts when Harvey takes a mark over their backs, someone who'll argue a bit when a decision goes against them, someone who cares.

Well done today McMahon, and hopefully not the last time we get to see him run out in a Dogs jumper.

Macca - I agree with a lot of what you say, the guy is a super runner, quick and often a great kick HOWEVER

he still has a number of areas of his game he absolutely must improve: his concentration, tackling and defensive work

If he stays (and I hope he does) we have to demand that he actually does it, becuase otherwise he is never going to fulfil his prodigious talent

Go_Dogs
02-09-2007, 08:54 PM
He tries reasonably hard on his defensive efforts, I saw him making a lot of ground a few times today to pressure etc. He just lacks the physical strength to stick a tackle when someone is bursting past him, and at times his concentration does let him down. I do agree that if he can work hard on these aspects of his game, he'd certainly go a long way to shutting up the doubters and make himself one of our most important players.

Now he's at the age where that next level of improvement must come - let's hope he can go forward next year and continue to improve.

Bulldog Revolution
02-09-2007, 09:10 PM
He tries reasonably hard on his defensive efforts, I saw him making a lot of ground a few times today to pressure etc. He just lacks the physical strength to stick a tackle when someone is bursting past him, and at times his concentration does let him down. I do agree that if he can work hard on these aspects of his game, he'd certainly go a long way to shutting up the doubters and make himself one of our most important players.

Now he's at the age where that next level of improvement must come - let's hope he can go forward next year and continue to improve.

here here!

Lally Bamblett
03-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I have it on good authority that the Crows have told Hudson he is very much a required player, although if they could obtain a trade involving Wood from Brisbane, they would be happy to let him go. Remeber, Hudson is a Queenslander...

Topdog
04-09-2007, 03:03 AM
I have it on good authority that the Crows have told Hudson he is very much a required player, although if they could obtain a trade involving Wood from Brisbane, they would be happy to let him go. Remeber, Hudson is a Queenslander...

Thats fairly disappointing for us. We are so lacking in the ruck although I must say I have been much more impressed with Skipper of late.

Bulldog Revolution
04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Thats fairly disappointing for us. We are so lacking in the ruck although I must say I have been much more impressed with Skipper of late.

Skipper is nowhere near the physical presence of Hudson though is he. Hudson whilst unfashionable looking is a very good player - its shocking we didn't draft him ourselves from the Bees when we had the chance. Why was that? anyone know what went on there?

Mantis
04-09-2007, 11:38 AM

I have it on good authority that Hudson is not a big fan of Neil Craig and would prefer to be at another club next year.

bornadog
04-09-2007, 01:35 PM
I have it on good authority that Hudson is not a big fan of Neil Craig and would prefer to be at another club next year.

Do we really want another ageing player to join us? He will be 29 in February next year.

I am really sick and tired of getting players to the dogs that are close to or over 30 years old.

Mantis
04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Do we really want another ageing player to join us? He will be 29 in February next year.

I am really sick and tired of getting players to the dogs that are close to or over 30 years old.

And our ruck stocks look great at present don't they.

Hudson probably has 2 or 3 years left and I think he would be a good short term fix until we were able to develop an alternative.

Clearly Street, Skipper, Minson and Wight are not the answers, although I do hope Minson and Wight maybe in 2 years time.

southerncross
04-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Hudson probably has 2 or 3 years left and I think he would be a good short term fix until we were able to develop an alternative.

Clearly Street, Skipper, Minson and Wight are not the answers, although I do hope Minson and Wight maybe in 2 years time.

Hudson would be OK but I don't think Eade rates ruckman as important to this team (he should though) so might not be prepared to go that hard for a like him.

I think he would prefer to chase a ruckman forward like the way Darcy was supposed to play for us this year.

bornadog
04-09-2007, 06:04 PM

Agree we need a ruckman, I just don't want to see a 29 year old.

The Underdog
04-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see us trade for an experienced ruck from another team as well as drafting a young ruck. Got a bad feeling David Hille may end up on our list. I like Hudson but agree that he's probably that bit too old to really be worth it.

southerncross
04-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Just found this article on Hudson

BEN Hudson describes himself as "a bit of a battler". "I suppose I've had a different journey than others," the Adelaide ruckman explains.
"I certainly don't have the skills of a McLeod and others like him."
But he has the heart. What Hudson says he lacks in skills he more than makes up for with grit, determination and sheer hard work.
The numbers prove it.
Remarkably for a player of his size (199cm, 105kg), Hudson ranks third in the AFL for hardball-gets – a key statistic usually dominated by tough, in-and-under midfielders.
After 18 rounds, Hudson has an amazing 92 hardball-gets at an average of five per game.
This is just five less than competition leader Nathan Foley of Richmond (97) and three shy of West Coast superstar Chris Judd (95).
Significantly, Hudson – who won seven hardballs in the stunning win against Port Adelaide on Saturday – is the only ruckman in the top 25 in the AFL for hardball-gets. He has won a whopping 30 more hardballs than any other big man with Geelong's Brad Ottens his nearest rival on 62.
At Adelaide, Hudson has almost twice as many hardball-gets as any team-mate – midfielder Scott Thompson is second with 52 – while he has 25 more hardball wins than any Port Adelaide player.
Making his performance even more remarkable is that 28-year-old Hudson has produced such wonderful numbers in his first full season back from a knee reconstruction when he could have been forgiven for being a bit tentative.
A hardball-get is described by Champion Data – the AFL's official statistician – as "a ball won in a 50-50 contest under direct pressure from an opponent".
Thirty-six of Hudson's hardball wins have come directly from ruck contests – a dying art since the AFL started awarding free kicks against players who are tackled while taking the ball out of the ruck.
"I think that's one of my strengths – winning the hardball," Hudson said.
"It's something I probably do naturally. I like getting a bit dirty in-and-under with all the smaller guys.
"There's other aspects of my game I need to work on, especially my contested marking but winning the hardball is definitely something I do pride myself on."
The desire to "get dirty" comes from Hudson's blue-collar work ethic. The football journeyman was not drafted to the AFL until the Crows swooped with the No. 58 pick at the 2003 national draft when Hudson was aged 24.
Until Adelaide shocked him and the football fraternity, Hudson was running around in the VFL with Werribee after starting his football with Mt Gravatt in Queensland. He was a late starter to the game after previously reaching a high level at basketball.
While he doesn't often get plaudits, the lion-hearted Hudson, who played his 50th AFL game against Essendon in round 17, has been a Goliath for the Crows this season.
He has shouldered the ruck responsibility in the absence of injured Rhett Biglands, who has not played since snapping an anterior cruciate ligament in last year's finals, and Ivan Maric (hip) and John Meesen (knee), who missed most of the first half of the season with serious injuries.
"It is like having another midfielder, the way he goes in and under," Adelaide midfielder Chris Knights said of Hudson's extraordinary ability to win the hardball. "It is priceless for us having a contest up in the air and then knowing he is going to provide something when it hits the deck as well."
And it just might add a few dollars to Hudson's next contract, which he is currently negotiating.