PDA

View Full Version : Knightmare's Phantom Draft - from a Bulldogs POV

Sockeye Salmon
10-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I pulled this of the other forum.

I'm not at all concerned about the names, I have no idea as to who can or can't play, this is all about the type of player.

I think Knightmare nailed our requirements except for one major and obvious flaw, we really need a key back.

As I'm certain we'll lose Ward, I've added a key back as our compensation pick.

#14 Western Bulldogs - Brad McKenzie (SA – Mid/Def)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 29/05/1993
Recruited from: Sturt
Style: Dyson Heppell/ Trent McKenzie
Player comparison:
Range: 5-25
Profile: The thing that stands out with McKenzie is his skills by foot, is the absolute feature of his game. Has a great penetrating left foot kick on him and can consistently find targets or kick long goals from 60m out without any difficulty. Even under pressure executes by foot without any difficulty. Not a sensational athlete but makes up for it with his skill level. Seems to have a really good understanding of the game and reads the play well. Inside work is also very good. Was one of SA’s best midfielders in the u18 champs and had a couple of big games. A bit of a flanker but can play midfield. Quality ball user.

#25 Geelong - Michael Talia (VIC - KPD)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 11/02/1993
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style: Brian Lake
Player comparison:
Range: 10-30
Profile: Probably the best key position defender in this draft. Big contested mark. Has a very good endurance base. Has a strong work rate and really has great strength for his age and really seems to enjoy wrestling with his opposing big men often out marking his direct opponent in a contest. Speed is fairly average. Needs to keep working on his kicking and build more consistency by foot.

#34 Western Bull Dogs – Alex Forster (SA – Def/Util)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 14/07/1993
Recruited from: Norwood
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 25-50
Profile: Versatile medium size player. Have seen him mainly down back but can play through the midfield or up forward well. Have seen him do some really nice defensive job down back. Has a high skill level and is very duel sided. Strong overhead. Shows some good run and carry with the ball in hand.

#52 Western Bull Dogs – Jimmy Webster (TAS - Mid)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 28/06/1993
Recruited from: Glenorchy
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 35-65
Profile: Really nice left footer. Has nice penetration on his kick. Great user of the footy. Good pace. Didn’t stand out as much as I had hoped during the champs and because of it has gone down my rankings. But looks like a really solid prospect none the less. Really talented outside mid who can go forward and have an impact.

#70 Western Bull Dogs – Anthony Tipungwuti (VIC – Def/Util)
Height: 171cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 22/04/1993
Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Style: Leon Davis
Player comparison:
Range: late-rookie
Profile: Really special player. Has sensational pace and enjoys taking opposition players on like few others can. Really evasive and can create time easily. Duel sided. Good skill set. Not a tall lad, but gee he can play! Still needs to build an endurance base but that will come. Can play back or forward and has a Leon Davis type feel to his game that makes him exciting regardless of where he plays.

I don't like the idea of drafting a kid 171cm, so I'll offer up a couple of alternatives.

#71 Melbourne – Jackson Coleman (VIC – KPF)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 18/12/1991
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: late-undrafted
Profile: Son of Glenn Coleman. Really strong, athletic key position forward. Been a serious goal kicker at Tac Cup level. Is obviously that little bit older but hasn’t really played allot of footy which is the attraction with Coleman. Big upside. Made the decision to play footy over cricket.

Rookie #2 Port Adelaide - Doug Morris (VIC – Mid)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 27/09/1993
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 50-undrafted
Profile: Big accumulator. Captain of the Northern Knights. Averaging over 30 disposals per game. Amongst bests in every game for Knights. Gets really nice tackling numbers. Works hard both ways. Can get amongst the goals. Somehow didn’t manage to get a game for Metro disappointingly. But certainly his TAC Cup performances have been fantastic.

Grantysghost
10-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I pulled this of the other forum.

I'm not at all concerned about the names, I have no idea as to who can or can't play, this is all about the type of player.

I think Knightmare nailed our requirements except for one major and obvious flaw, we really need a key back.

As I'm certain we'll lose Ward, I've added a key back as our compensation pick.

If we get compensation picks we wouldn't use them this year in a compromised draft i hope!

Next year supposed to be a good batch so would more than likely bank them until then.

Interesting reading though...

ledge
10-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Would love to get Talia.

chef
10-08-2011, 03:10 PM
If we get compensation picks we wouldn't use them this year in a compromised draft i hope!

Next year supposed to be a good batch so would more than likely bank them until then.

Interesting reading though...

Yep, that would be madness. I wouldn't mind us trading one of them back to GWS to try and get one of the seventeen year olds.

Greystache
10-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Mackenzie doesn't sound overly appealing to me, a mid-paced HBF with good kicking skills. Sounds like Howard clone to me, plus we have Higgins also playing that role. I wouldn't be using a first round pick on that skill set.

Jasper
10-08-2011, 03:16 PM
#71 Melbourne – Jackson Coleman (VIC – KPF)

Jackson Coleman - that is a STRONG name.
Want him in my team

chef
10-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Mackenzie doesn't sound overly appealing to me, a mid-paced HBF with good kicking skills. Sounds like Howard clone to me, plus we have Higgins also playing that role. I wouldn't be using a first round pick on that skill set.

Same, I hope to god we go after the best available KPD with our first pick.

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Why is it that Will Beasley isn't playing football anymore (so i read the other day)?

Greystache
10-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Why is it that Will Beasley isn't playing football anymore (so i read the other day)?

Because he never really played and was always focussed on rowing.

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Rowing......when will people learn.

chef
10-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Olympic sport, I don't see the problem.

Happy Days
10-08-2011, 04:00 PM

A friend of mine is tossing up between going to Harvard or Yale on a full scholarship because of rowing.

Wish I was good at it.

Scraggers
10-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I wonder if Lewis Fasolo is worth a look at. He is the younger brother of Alex Fasolo (Collingwood) ...

MJP might be able to comment further ??

bornadog
10-08-2011, 04:20 PM
A friend of mine is tossing up between going to Harvard or Yale on a full scholarship because of rowing.

Wish I was good at it.

My wife works with a kid that is going to Yale on rowing scholarship - so lucky

The Bulldogs Bite
10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
This is definitely going to be an important (and very interesting) draft.

We are desperate for a KPD, but I wonder what else we may go after?

Personally I think we need another quick small forward and two medium forwards who can push up to the wings.

Another Schofield type for the back half would be nice, too.

(Lake, Morris, Hargrave, Williams, Markovic, Murphy, Wood, Higgins, Schofield + draftee) would be OK for the back half. I'd then look at a Duigan type very late or as a rookie.

Foot skills are a must. I wouldn't be picking anyone with suspect skills.

lemmon
10-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Hoskin-Elliot sounds interesting, local boy who'd fit a need and might still be around. From what I've read sounds like a pacey, outside runner with clean touch and a nice long kick, noted for his hurt factor. Could still be around

bornadog
10-08-2011, 05:45 PM
We need a Cooney type of midfielder, ie someone with pace. We have plenty of in and under types.

Mofra
10-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I wonder if Lewis Fasolo is worth a look at. He is the younger brother of Alex Fasolo (Collingwood) ...

MJP might be able to comment further ??
Our record with brothers is deplorable - it's a curse I tells ya.

Everitt, Bowden, Bassett, Power, Rawlings, etc

Sockeye Salmon
10-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Hoskin-Elliot sounds interesting, local boy who'd fit a need and might still be around. From what I've read sounds like a pacey, outside runner with clean touch and a nice long kick, noted for his hurt factor. Could still be around

Would be ideal but most phantoms have him going well before our pick

We desperately need a key back and some pace, but if Ward does go we will be starting to get light on inside as well when Cross and Boyd retire.

If by some miracle we could land Hoskin-Elliot and Talia, that would be ideal.

1eyedog
10-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Our record with brothers is deplorable - it's a curse I tells ya.

Everitt, Bowden, Bassett, Power, Rawlings, etc

Roughead?

Mantis
10-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Roughead?

Cousin.

GVGjr
10-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Jackson Coleman - that is a STRONG name.
Want him in my team

Isn't he still leaning towards a cricket career?

mjp
10-08-2011, 06:47 PM
I am not too fussed about Talia - would be directing my attention towards Kyle Hartigan...AIS and top 10 pick a couple of years agoi until the wheels fell off. James Wall is available as well - kpd size with enough athleticism to play on a wing at state league level. Hartigan would be my preference though.

Early in the draft, I would be trying to pinch Crozier. There is a chance he could fall to us I suppose (as with Hoskin-Elliot) but we might need to trade up.

On a further note, I am not sure how well the original poster researched everything - listed Kieran Butcher as having a good year, when he has missed 3-months now due to a knee recon, says similar things about Jarrod Ninyette who left Claremont pre-season and is playing in the bush...

I guess that is what you get with this sort of thing but he clearly isn't watching the games that these guys are 'playing' in.

ledge
10-08-2011, 07:15 PM
I am not too fussed about Talia - would be directing my attention towards Kyle Hartigan...AIS and top 10 pick a couple of years agoi until the wheels fell off. James Wall is available as well - kpd size with enough athleticism to play on a wing at state league level. Hartigan would be my preference though.

Early in the draft, I would be trying to pinch Crozier. There is a chance he could fall to us I suppose (as with Hoskin-Elliot) but we might need to trade up.

On a further note, I am not sure how well the original poster researched everything - listed Kieran Butcher as having a good year, when he has missed 3-months now due to a knee recon, says similar things about Jarrod Ninyette who left Claremont pre-season and is playing in the bush...

I guess that is what you get with this sort of thing but he clearly isn't watching the games that these guys are 'playing' in.

In what way do you mean the wheels fell off, behaviour, injuries?
You obviously think he has got back on track.

mjp
10-08-2011, 07:20 PM
In what way do you mean the wheels fell off, behaviour, injuries?
You obviously think he has got back on track.

Just got ahead of himself I think.

Have only seen one 'Bees game this year but do have a good contact at the club. Basically, you don't lose talent. You aren't part of the AIS program at 17 (best 25 in the country basically) and not good enough 12/24 months later.

He is 192 (or so), can run, kick and take a mark - and will be available. Was a good kid when I knew him.

bulldogsman
10-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Just got ahead of himself I think.

Have only seen one 'Bees game this year but do have a good contact at the club. Basically, you don't lose talent. You aren't part of the AIS program at 17 (best 25 in the country basically) and not good enough 12/24 months later.

He is 192 (or so), can run, kick and take a mark - and will be available. Was a good kid when I knew him.

I was hoping we would pick him up last year and the year before. I noticed in his last year of U18's he wasn't moving as well as he previously was and seemed to be well down on confidence. He missed quite a few games through injury as well didn't he?

bulldogsman
10-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Would love if one of Hoskin-Elliot, Kavanagh or Tyson falls our way but I don't think it will happen. I'd be happy enough with Liam Sumner.

Sockeye Salmon
10-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Funnily enough, when I was thinking about writing that I was also thinking about who we would delist.

Mulligan would be delisted except it would leave us terribly exposed if Lake doesn't come back. Hartigan (despite hardly ever have seen him play and have never consciously watched him) was the one I was thinking of as someone we could get later in the draft.

1eyedog
10-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Cousin.

Yeah okay wasn't sure.

Rocco Jones
10-08-2011, 10:07 PM

Funnily enough, when I was thinking about writing that I was also thinking about who we would delist.

Mulligan would be delisted except it would leave us terribly exposed if Lake doesn't come back. Hartigan (despite hardly ever have seen him play and have never consciously watched him) was the one I was thinking of as someone we could get later in the draft.

Quality posting there.

I have made mentions on the list management and state league player threads about how there are a few players I think simply will never 'make it' but offer us depth. I would like us to delist the likes of Mulligan and Stack and take a punt on some state leaguers. Of course if the quality is not there or already taken it's a moot point.

Sockeye Salmon
10-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Quality posting there.

I have made mentions on the list management and state league player threads about how there are a few players I think simply will never 'make it' but offer us depth. I would like us to delist the likes of Markovic and Stack and take a punt on some state leaguers. Of course if the quality is not there or already taken it's a moot point.

Markovic was a state league player we took a punt on and has probably done as well as could be expected. Did you mean to write Mulligan?

Rocco Jones
10-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Markovic was a state league player we took a punt on and has probably done as well as could be expected. Did you mean to write Mulligan?

You're 100% right SS :) I did mean Mulligan and totally agree with you that Markovic has done as well as can be expected. I don't mind depth players as long as the price is cheap and they actually offer depth, Markovic is an example of that. I just don't like crappy older guys who stay for depth despite offering very little short, medium and long term.

LostDoggy
10-08-2011, 10:59 PM
The contempt for Mulligan by some posters here surprises me. This is his first full season since he's been at the club. He's played a handfull of games and while he hasn't set the game on fire by any stretch i'd be keeping him for another season.

We currently have Lake injured and with suspect hip/legs, Morris who's ageing and always tking the brunt of responsibility, especially this season down back, "Flimsy" Williams gone down again with another foot injury and Markovic who's solid but what you see is all we'll ever get.

What other cover do we have on the list currently who's a tall/KP size down back?

stefoid
10-08-2011, 11:05 PM

Strongly disagree - dont know anything about the kid except what is written here, but we absolutely need guys who can kick the ball well under pressure.

Sockeye Salmon
11-08-2011, 12:13 AM
The contempt for Mulligan by some posters here surprises me. This is his first full season since he's been at the club. He's played a handfull of games and while he hasn't set the game on fire by any stretch i'd be keeping him for another season.

We currently have Lake injured and with suspect hip/legs, Morris who's ageing and always tking the brunt of responsibility, especially this season down back, "Flimsy" Williams gone down again with another foot injury and Markovic who's solid but what you see is all we'll ever get.

What other cover do we have on the list currently who's a tall/KP size down back?

We're all in heated agreement.

Absolutely we're vulnerable in key back spots but the suggestion is we could find a key back in the state leagues who would offer more than Mulligan.

Hartigan was suggested, Mohr is another.

bornadog
11-08-2011, 12:14 AM
We're all in heated agreement.

Absolutely we're vulnerable in key back spots but the suggestion is we could find a key back in the state leagues who would offer more than Mulligan.

Hartigan was suggested, Mohr is another.

Panos, Cordy?

Sockeye Salmon
11-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Panos, Cordy?

I'm more chance of playing AFL as key back than Panos.

DOG GOD
11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I thought we might have made a play for hartigan 2 years ago, he was relatively high enough in most phantom drafts around that time if memory serves me correctly. I certainly do agree that we should look at state players to fill a need. Markovic has done well in his ablility. Mulligan to me hasnt the confidence or skill to take the game on and really is a list clogger in the vein that Boumann was. What we would do for a Silvagni or Duigan in our backline. Guys with hard bodies who will take the game on.

comrade
11-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Is it time to start a Bring Back Boumann campaign? I'll dust off the signed guernsy...

Greystache
11-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Strongly disagree - dont know anything about the kid except what is written here, but we absolutely need guys who can kick the ball well under pressure.

We used a first and second round pick on this very skill set in 2009. Midfielders with pace and a key defender are far more pressing priorities.

Rocco Jones
11-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Is it time to start a Bring Back Boumann campaign? I'll dust off the signed guernsy...

Haha. At the time I found it interesting we kept Mulligan on and let go of Boumann but it seems like the latter had a significantly poorer atttitude.

On Mulligan's spot on the list. I totally agree that we need key defensive back up but we are actually allowed to draft/trade in another key defender who is ready to go. Is Mulligan better than any other key defender not on a list? The main issue we have to keep him on is depth he offers and he is still very raw. I think it would be the conservative list management at it's worst if we keep him on. He is just plain old terrible.

Mantis
11-08-2011, 11:18 PM

Was last seen doing a Josh Hill..... Think about it.

Yeah... nah.

comrade
11-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Yeah... nah.

Oh.

:o

azabob
11-08-2011, 11:36 PM

Yeah... nah.

What is doing the "Josh hill"?

Mantis
12-08-2011, 11:07 AM
What is doing the "Josh hill"?

Sorry it's something only 'comrade' would understand.

In hindsight I should have sent him a PM.

westdog54
12-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Sorry it's something only 'comrade' would understand.

In hindsight I should have sent him a PM.

Well, we're all curious now, you might as well let us in on the joke...:D

stefoid
13-08-2011, 11:07 PM
We used a first and second round pick on this very skill set in 2009. Midfielders with pace and a key defender are far more pressing priorities.

54% by foot tonight compared to the bombers 70%+ theres the game. Cant hit targets under pressure.

Midfielders with pace? yeah, OK, as long as they can use the ball under pressure. If they cant, they arent any use to us.

Greystache
14-08-2011, 12:20 AM
54% by foot tonight compared to the bombers 70%+ theres the game. Cant hit targets under pressure.

Midfielders with pace? yeah, OK, as long as they can use the ball under pressure. If they cant, they arent any use to us.

Training under pressure situations will go a long way to improving our ball use under pressure. We've trained during preseason for run and gun, unaccountable footy, when the pressure is apllied with intensity we fall apart.

stefoid
16-08-2011, 03:40 PM
okay. maybe. hopefully...

But read this bio again - this is exactly what I reckon we need. I bolded the bits that I think mean he could make a quick transition to AFL pace and inject some badly needed class into our disposal.

In fact, I want to see 'executes consistantly under pressure' for every player we draft, regardless of what type of player they are. Todays footy is about applying pressure and executing under pressure and if a player wont do the former and cant do the latter, then why waste a pick on them?

Dalhaus came off the rookie list to be a vital player for us this year precisely because he does both. Libba has outshone Wallis in his first year for the same reason. Wheras someone like DJ who we gave three years on the main list to cant seem to use the ball properly and maybe never will.

Im betting wherever this McKenzie kid ends up, his inside skills (i.e. contested ability) and his ability to use the ball well under pressure will mean he will step up to AFL level early and play well.

#14 Western Bulldogs - Brad McKenzie (SA – Mid/Def)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 29/05/1993
Recruited from: Sturt
Style: Dyson Heppell/ Trent McKenzie
Player comparison:
Profile: The thing that stands out with McKenzie is his skills by foot, is the absolute feature of his game. Has a great penetrating left foot kick on him and can consistently find targets or kick long goals from 60m out without any difficulty. Even under pressure executes by foot without any difficulty. Not a sensational athlete but makes up for it with his skill level. Seems to have a really good understanding of the game and reads the play well. Inside work is also very good. Was one of SA’s best midfielders in the u18 champs and had a couple of big games. A bit of a flanker but can play midfield. Quality ball user.

the banker
16-08-2011, 03:58 PM
okay. Maybe. Hopefully...

But read this bio again - this is exactly what i reckon we need. I bolded the bits that i think mean he could make a quick transition to afl pace and inject some badly needed class into our disposal.

In fact, i want to see 'executes consistantly under pressure' for every player we draft, regardless of what type of player they are. Todays footy is about applying pressure and executing under pressure and if a player wont do the former and cant do the latter, then why waste a pick on them?

Dalhaus came off the rookie list to be a vital player for us this year precisely because he does both. Libba has outshone wallis in his first year for the same reason. Wheras someone like dj who we gave three years on the main list to cant seem to use the ball properly and maybe never will.

Im betting wherever this mckenzie kid ends up, his inside skills (i.e. Contested ability) and his ability to use the ball well under pressure will mean he will step up to afl level early and play well.

#14 western bulldogs - brad mckenzie (sa – mid/def)
height: 188cm, weight: 75kg, dob: 29/05/1993
recruited from: Sturt
style: Dyson heppell/ trent mckenzie
player comparison:
profile: The thing that stands out with mckenzie is his skills by foot, is the absolute feature of his game. Has a great penetrating left foot kick on him and can consistently find targets or kick long goals from 60m out without any difficulty. even under pressure executes by foot without any difficulty. Not a sensational athlete but makes up for it with his skill level. Seems to have a really good understanding of the game and reads the play well. Inside work is also very good. Was one of sa’s best midfielders in the u18 champs and had a couple of big games. A bit of a flanker but can play midfield. Quality ball user.

always right
16-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm more chance of playing AFL as key back than Panos.

How old are you?

Sockeye Salmon
16-08-2011, 05:38 PM
How old are you?

And I'm short.

And fat.

And my knee is shot.

And I wasn't really all that good at football anyway.

Desipura
16-08-2011, 05:57 PM

And I'm short.

And fat.

And my knee is shot.

And I wasn't really all that good at football anyway.
And modest :D