PDA

View Full Version : The upside of an otherwise poor season

GVGjr
14-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Whilst it's disappointing to go to games and see us struggle against teams we should either beat or be more competitive against there is some upside amongst all these losses.

- Luke Dahlhaus has been a revelation. We started the season questioning if we had a genuine small forward who can provide defensive efforts and we have unearthed a beauty. He's certainly got a lot more games and game time than most rookies could likely expect and I think the experiences he has will benefit both him and the club going forward.

- Tom Libertore has had a strong 1st season. Originally touted as the 'other' father son draft selection with Mitch Wallis young Libba was given his chances early in the season and hasn't disappointed in the slightest. His fitness base will improve and I believe he will be one of the corner stones of our midfield for the next decade.

- Christian Howard is slowly proving the doubters wrong. Early this season I thought Howard would struggle to make an impression but now that he has had a few senior opportunities he is showing enough class to believe he has a good future with us.

- Liam Jones continues to make progress. Jones probably has been played more than his form might have suggested but he has still never the less displayed some encouraging signs. If he continues to develop we will have a quality forward for many years.

- Easton Wood was always going to take some time to develop into a footballer, given he didn't follow the same path of say a Callan Ward, but his best efforts suggest that he can have a long career with us.

Sure guys like Callan Ward have had a very good season and deserve a mention but we were almost expecting that from him. To me the guys I have mentioned have made a significant step forward this season and I don't think it's all doom and gloom for us going forward.

Thoughts?

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Our biggest issue going forward is the key positions. Currently Jones is our only real key position prospect. We have no real young key backs at Willi and no young key forwards. Bazz is gone. Lake is? Morris may return when? Williams is made of Biscuits. We need to go for young talls in the draft and rookies to get some depth. As we have a number of midfielders developing in Tutt, Wallis, Libba, Schofield, and Dahlhaus. We really need some talls now.

SonofScray
14-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Dalhaus has been a saving grace in some respects. I hope that real ferocious application to the game and individual expression with the ball isn't lost through coaching because that is what puts bums on seats and can drag the team along when they are down. For me, the value in him is not just what he does, but how he does it as well. You'd love for those efforts to actually be a benchmark and not something that lights up the stands but obviously not everyone has it in them.

Jones has shown elite hands, the first of our myriad of attempts at a tall forward to have actually produced signs that suggest we've got one right. I hope he gets a chance to develop his goal kicking and gets played in a genuine forward role for further development. He could be great. My fear is that we will use him as a spare parts big man, give up on him too quickly if his goal kicking doesn't improve and play him back, or up the field etc. Will the Club show some patience and give him a chance? Signs say so, but we've done a horrible job of developing his type historically.

I agree with the other comments in the post, will add one into the mix which might be scoffed at but Hooper gets a mention as well IMO. Not necessarily because he himself has done anything special but it showed that the MC are willing to break from convention and try something different. Rather than just shuffle existing players around, or move an aging player into a different role due to form, they said we want "X" and if anyone can give us that the spot is yours. To me that is a welcome change from what I have felt was an overly conservative match selection panel.

chef
14-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Sure guys like Callan Ward have had a very good season and deserve a mention but we were almost expecting that from him. To me the guys I have mentioned have made a significant step forward this season and I don't think it's all doom and gloom for us going forward.

Thoughts?

Really can't get excited about anything this guy(I don't even like saying or typing his name) does anymore. My heart is going to be smashed when it happens.

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Our biggest issue going forward is the key positions. Currently Jones is our only real key position prospect. We have no real young key backs at Willi and no young key forwards. Bazz is gone. Lake is? Morris may return when? Williams is made of Biscuits. We need to go for young talls in the draft and rookies to get some depth. As we have a number of midfielders developing in Tutt, Wallis, Libba, Schofield, and Dahlhaus. We really need some talls now.

Good points.

Considering that talls take some time to develop (and even then there is no guarantee that they'll come good) is there value in trying to trade in some younger talls from teams that have an abundance of them? North for example has one big man too many, there will be a few looking to get out of Port etc.

GVGjr
14-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Really can't get excited about anything this guy(I don't even like saying or typing his name) does anymore. My heart is going to be smashed when it happens.

You have missed the point of the thread and we already have a few that pose the question if he is staying or going.

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 12:33 PM
My upside to the season from the last two games is the fact that we have gotten some sort of weird belief that we can come back from any position on the scoreboard ie. we have the ability to really dominate games in patches and score quickly.

Our problem has been getting hit on the counter -- we have shown an ability to lock the ball in opposition forward halves, but when the ball gets over our midfield line the opposition seems to be able to go coast to coast pretty easily -- Essendon scored 80% of their goals like this. A fit Lake with his incredible reading of the game and marking ability would probably have lessened this somewhat.

Our defence is incredibly weak at the moment, and with our mids going kamikaze in trying to lock the ball in our forwardline we are very vulnerable on the turnover -- we have essentially turned over our entire backline (which was one of the best) in a single season, thank goodness for the emergence of (at least) Markovic and Wood. Murph to the backline has also helped but robbed us of serious firepower up front.

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Another positive I want to raise (against the prevailing wisdom it seems) is Stack. He has been potted more than most, and has probably taken longer than expected to find his feet at this level, but the guy has shown that he will be a solid contributor: AFL level athleticism, reasonable turn of speed, pretty good distribution. He's getting better as he gets more confidence, and I'm pretty confident when the ball is in his hands these days -- just needs to get better at helping his other defenders out in the air as he is probably our most powerful athlete in the backline at the moment.

GVGjr
14-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Good point Lantern. Stack is making a stronger than expected case to be retained on the list. He might never be a best 18 type player but with his athleticism he might very well be a good guy to have on the list. The balance of the season is important for him though.

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Good point Lantern. Stack is making a stronger than expected case to be retained on the list. He might never be a best 18 type player but with his athleticism he might very well be a good guy to have on the list. The balance of the season is important for him though.

I just looked up his stats from last night to back up my first impressions (he seemed to help mop up behind play quite well) -- Stack had 15 possies, 10 of them kicks, with 80% efficiency. Considering that our biggest problem compared to the top teams is simply our actual quality of disposal (the one thing that is really standing out with the Collingwoods and Geelongs and even the Bombers last night was just how accurate most of their kicking is whereas so much of ours seems to be pretty sloppy or hopeful -- I think that's something that has really changed the game over the last five years even more than the forward press, and if we were a better kicking team, all else being equal we would have probably won the game last night).

For a team that only had around 50% efficiency all night, a player that can kick the ball well is a valuable commodity.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2011, 01:00 PM

I had him as gone before last night but I was impressed by his game. I agree with Lantern about his kicking last night, very good. His ability to spoil from behind is really good.

He regularly gets bundled in with Hill in terms of lacking 'heart'/intensity but I think they have different issues. Hill to me is more about too often choosing not to go in, turning it off and on and all that. A lot more of a decision/not thinking it's his style to go in hard. For mine, Stacks intensity issues are more related to getting lost/being a deer in head lights and confidence issues. Perhaps he will get there ever so slowly. I think he offers us decent back up with potential to grow, that's enough to retain his spot IMO.

GVGjr
14-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I had him as gone before last night but I was impressed by his game. I agree with Lantern about his kicking last night, very good. His ability to spoil from behind is really good.

He regularly gets bundled in with Hill in terms of lacking 'heart'/intensity but I think they have different issues. Hill to me is more about too often choosing not to go in, turning it off and on and all that. A lot more of a decision/not thinking it's his style to go in hard. For mine, Stacks intensity issues are more related to getting lost/being a deer in head lights and confidence issues. Perhaps he will get there ever so slowly. I think he offers us decent back up with potential to grow, that's enough to retain his spot IMO.

Very good points both you and Lantern have raised.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2011, 01:06 PM
I think Eade has handled Stack very well. I've long thought that Rocket's main tactical strength is finding roles for players in the back 6.

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 01:27 PM
I think Eade has handled Stack very well. I've long thought that Rocket's main tactical strength is finding roles for players in the back 6.

The persistence with dj should also be noted. I thought he was one of our best in the first half and provided intensity that was sorely lacking from a number of team mates. If he can find some consistency in the last couple of rounds this would be a big tick for eade.

ledge
14-08-2011, 02:20 PM
The persistence with dj should also be noted. I thought he was one of our best in the first half and provided intensity that was sorely lacking from a number of team mates. If he can find some consistency in the last couple of rounds this would be a big tick for eade.

You beat me to it, he just has to learn to use first option more often,he puts out all the forwards leads when he keeps hold of it.

Maddog37
14-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I think the continued improvement of Williams and Griff are very important. Games into Jones and Ruff will be valuable in the long run and Grant has at least responded to being dropped in a positive fashion. Stack and DJ have improved as the season has progressed and Markovic has been solid.

I actually think Grant is still growing and have strong hopes he will be better next year without Barry.

Libba and Wallis are AFL grade players and Howard has something about him that might be a little bit above average.

Cordy and Tutt look to have improved in the VFL also.

I think we need a gun ruckman. Not Minson. I believe a very good ruck man would be a massive influence giving us first use and taking marks around the ground.

Lastly I think Panos and Tom Hill are smokeys to contribute to our team and are worth persevering with.

bornadog
14-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Another positive I want to raise (against the prevailing wisdom it seems) is Stack. He has been potted more than most, and has probably taken longer than expected to find his feet at this level, but the guy has shown that he will be a solid contributor: AFL level athleticism, reasonable turn of speed, pretty good distribution. He's getting better as he gets more confidence, and I'm pretty confident when the ball is in his hands these days -- just needs to get better at helping his other defenders out in the air as he is probably our most powerful athlete in the backline at the moment.

I have felt all season that I was one of the only ones that saw some potential in Stack. I agree with both Lantern and GVGj and hopefully he can finish the season strongly.

LongWait
14-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I have felt all season that I was one of the only ones that saw some potential in Stack. I agree with both Lantern and GVGj and hopefully he can finish the season strongly.

You guys are not alone - I too have felt that Stack is turning the corner and will become a regular senior player. Whilst on maligned players, DJ may also make it I think, although I have more confidence in Stack at present.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2011, 05:12 PM

I've defended Stack most of the season too.

Unfairly dropped a few times which was disappointing, because he's a confidence player. I think it's obvious he has all the tools to be a solid AFL player, and this year, he's been able to put them on display more often. His ability to spoil the ball in the air is quite impressive. He's got very good closing speed.

I'd lke to see Stack play up forward, though.

There's a future for him if we develop him properly.

Dahlhaus has been incredible. I'm going to the footy just to watch this kid play lately.

Howard looks like another confidence player for mine. Develop him properly, and he'll be a good player.

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 05:45 PM
I love Liam Jones's hands, I want to watch him flourish into a brilliant (Bazza?) forward, I hope we can have the patience to see him grow with us. I have loved his potential all year.

Love Dahlhaus, love his sheer joy at being on the oval, his enthusiasm is contagious even into the grandstand.

I was really impressed with Stack last night, and believe that all that's lacking is confidence and experience.

DJ was good last night.

I'm a Howard fan from going to the Willi matches and hope he gets a lot more opportunity's.

I'm really excited about our future, Wallis, Libba, etc. just frustrated that we don't have the time to have more of a crossover from the old and experienced to the young.

bornadog
14-08-2011, 07:55 PM
You guys are not alone - I too have felt that Stack is turning the corner and will become a regular senior player. Whilst on maligned players, DJ may also make it I think, although I have more confidence in Stack at present.

I have been a little critical with DJ, but I thought he was ok yesterday and also against Sydney. If he can stop fumbling and try and steady a bit he may be ok.

MrMahatma
14-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm not sold on Stack. Not really sure what he adds and how he'll ever be more than a guy who comes in when we have a load of injuries.

But guys like Libba, Dalhaus, Jones have all given hope for the future. Just a shame that the two I thought would have good years - Roughead and Grant - haven't really fired a shot in 2011. Hopefully they can have a big pre-season.

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I like Stack, has taken a while to get up to speed but I think next year is going to be strong for him.

For me the biggest positive has been Dahlhaus, the kid is going to be a star, he has continually shown the more experienced guys how to always go hard at the ball no matter what.

neddie
14-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I've defended Stack most of the season too.

Unfairly dropped a few times which was disappointing, because he's a confidence player. I think it's obvious he has all the tools to be a solid AFL player, and this year, he's been able to put them on display more often. His ability to spoil the ball in the air is quite impressive. He's got very good closing speed.

I'd lke to see Stack play up forward, though.

There's a future for him if we develop him properly.

Dahlhaus has been incredible. I'm going to the footy just to watch this kid play lately.

Howard looks like another confidence player for mine. Develop him properly, and he'll be a good player.
AGREE,Dahlhaus is the season ' find with a good pre season,lose a bit of puppy fat,muscle up,he'll be a champion.Howard is also part of our future,he needs more game time.Tutt must be included in the remainder of the season.

the banker
14-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Good thread. There is a future after all!

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-08-2011, 09:36 PM
The highlights for me has been the excitement of Dahlhaus and the emergence of Ward as star quality. Wood after an interrupted start looks like becoming a good player.
Markovic, without Lake was a steady performer and should become a regular.
Roughead, Liberatore, Wallis and Howard represents the future.
Jones looked OK at times but needs to do more. Williams after a long apprenticeship, finally looks capable as a key defender.
The appointment of Matthew Boyd as captain was a good choice whilst Ryan Griffen, last year's B&F winner is now one of the League's best midfielders.

Greystache
15-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Thread needs more Dahlhaus!

comrade
15-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Thread needs more Dahlhaus!

He has had a good year, hasn't he?

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Thread needs more Dahlhaus! Crossy giving Dal a helping hand

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/174/362844lukedahlhaus.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/362844lukedahlhaus.jpg/)

Greystache
15-08-2011, 10:29 PM
He has had a good year, hasn't he?

He's giving me the motivation to keep turning up to games.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2011, 12:06 AM
The positive side of a fairly poor season is that if we really are seeing the cracks appear in areas that need lots of work. If we had snuck into the finals, we wouldn't have lasted very long, and perhaps it would have papered over some things.
go dogs

Desipura
16-08-2011, 07:42 AM
He's giving me the motivation to keep turning up to games.

Amen to that!

ReLoad
16-08-2011, 08:29 AM
We are all going to save a lot of money because we do not have to buy finals tickets.

Also we can go away on holidays much earlier and avoid spotting Collingwood supporters on our travels as they will still be all in Melbourne.

chef
16-08-2011, 09:04 AM
We are going to have change at the end of the season and a thorough review on every department.

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 10:14 AM
And maybe a new guernsey.