PDA

View Full Version : Buddy matchup

Rocco Jones
14-08-2011, 12:53 PM
I know we should take it one painful week at a time but this has the potential to be another Scott Bassett vs Richo massacre.

No Lake, no Williams and no Morris. Who do we go with on Buddy? Without being OTT, I really think it has the potential to be confidence destroying for a kid like Cordy if we throw him right in there. Markovic's mobility issues would be horribly exposed. I think Mulligan's an absolute spud, but he has the 'who cares if he takes the trauma with him' element. I think Wood has the tools to battle Buddy's main strengths and I don't think Franklin is that great in using his height but it's about an 11 cm difference. Also, confidence hammering thing.

G-Mo77
14-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Yikes, forgot we had the Hawks in a couple of weeks.

Barlow? Markovic? Mulligan?

Panos from the rookie list?

It'll probably be Cordy. Poor kid. :(

BulldogBelle
14-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Hargrave in 09 form would go okay. Obviously, he is nowhere near that.. but I think athletically he is our only guy. Maybe Liam Jones, but robbing peter...

Rocco Jones
14-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Yikes, forgot we had the Hawks in a couple of weeks.

Barlow? Markovic? Mulligan?

Panos from the rookie list?

It'll probably be Cordy. Poor kid. :(

As I said in my OP, I think we need to consider more than who is the actual best match up but also what it might do for a player's confidence. Thing is, all our options are young/inexperienced.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Hargrave in 09 form would go okay. Obviously, he is nowhere near that.. but I think athletically he is our only guy. Maybe Liam Jones, but robbing peter...

Shaggy might be the one if he is fit. I think I remember Jones playing back a bit at Willy, would have been a handful of games at the most.

BulldogBelle
14-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Shaggy might be the one if he is fit. I think I remember Jones playing back a bit at Willy, would have been a handful of games at the most.

It'll definitely be Shaggy thinking about it, if he's okay with that back spasm.

I think we need to accept their entire team is going to throttle us. Unless they decide to rest key players for the finals, and even then.

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Uberflood. Keep possession at all costs. When we don't have possession, slow the game down, create stoppage after stoppage for two hours. Mulligan on Buddy with instructions to spoil and give him crap and constantly hit him hard in the lower part of the spine off the ball, Cross and Jones takes turns to plays in the hole, Stack third man up at every opportunity.

Only Murph, Dahlhaus and Griff allowed to run forward of/with the ball, Hall one out in forward 50. We score on the break or not at all.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2011, 01:31 PM
If Shaggy isn't fit, that's our top 4 options all out. Wow!

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Alternatively, play like yesterday and hope that we can lock the ball in their forwardline for 4 quarters and the ball doesn't get past the middle so Buddy becomes a non-factor.

AndrewP6
14-08-2011, 02:06 PM
For the first time in a while, I'm not looking forward to going! :eek:

Sedat
14-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Wood is the only possible match-up for mine. He has the athleticism to to go with Buddy and the leap to be able to spoil him in the air. Buddy might still end up torching Wood but he will destroy anyone else.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Wood is the only possible match-up for mine. He has the athleticism to to go with Buddy and the leap to be able to spoil him in the air. Buddy might still end up torching Wood but he will destroy anyone else.

I agree that Wood is our best match up. As I mentioned in my OP, Buddy's strengths revolve around his athleticism and he really doesn't maximise his height advantage. My only issue with Wood are the affects of being torched, he is a young kid and I worry about his confidence in such a mismatch. I would see Shaggy as a bit of a fall guy, why you keep playing older guys when times are bad.

GVGjr
14-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Hargrave for Cyril, Barlow for Buddy is the best match-ups for us.

bornadog
14-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Sedat, is this a joke, Buddy will have Wood on toast. He is giving away 10cm and 20kg

I can't think of anyone else with height and the athletic ability. Mulligan playing badly yesterday, so I don't think he will be an option.

Rance Fan
14-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Hargrave....hes finished in my opinion.
Cyril or Buddy would kill him.

Picken to go on Cyril and harass him
Likely Mulligan for Buddy..may be our best match for him regarding height and strength etc ....he'd get killed though most probably.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I can't think of anyone else with height and the athletic ability. Mulligan playing badly yesterday, so I don't think he will be an option.

Mulligan wasn't an option for Buddy long before yesterday. Playing him in the seniors reminds me of a gambler trying to 'win back' his debt.

Rocco Jones
14-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Sedat, is this a joke, Buddy will have Wood on toast. He is giving away 10cm and 20kg

Just because Barlow is much taller than Wood doesn't mean he is more of a key defender. Despite the massive height difference, I would back Wood over Barlow in a marking contest. Taller is better, better is better.

Don't get me wrong, I actually rate Barlow quite a bit but it's his elite tank and ability to fill gaps that I rate him for, not his height/KP ability. The only real manner in which his height is an advantage is his ruck cameos.

Greystache
14-08-2011, 04:42 PM

I can't agree with you there GVG, Barlow is about as physical as Lindsay Gilbee, he's also not especially quick. I agree with Sedat, Wood is the best option available.

GVGjr
14-08-2011, 04:49 PM
I can't agree with you there GVG, Barlow is about as physical as Lindsay Gilbee, he's also not especially quick. I agree with Sedat, Wood is the best option available.

I think whoever tackles Franklin will get a hiding so I'm happier to see if Barlow can respond rather than shattering the confidence of Wood. Wood should get his turn on him but for the majority of the game I'd go with Barlow.
The simple message would be "show us how badly you want a senior spot"

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I think whoever tackles Franklin will get a hiding so I'm happier to see if Barlow can respond rather than shattering the confidence of Wood. Wood should get his turn on him but for the majority of the game I'd go with Barlow.
The simple message would be "show us how badly you want a senior spot"

This.

Shattering Wood's confidence wouldn't be something I'd want to do. Barlow or Hargrave for mine.

Flamethrower
14-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Our best hope is that Buddy cops 1 week suspension against Carlton next week, or else Fred Fanning's name may be wiped from the records book.

Jay Schultz will probably destroy us this week as well.

Sedat
14-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Wood might get torched but it could also give him a massive confidence boost if he did well. He wouldn't be expected to take 196cm types most weeks, so I actually see little wrong in giving him the opportunity to add another dimension to his developing game. If Buddy gets a hold of him early, c'est la vie. Make a switch to a Shaggy or Barlow or Mulligan.

Picken did a good job on Cyril last time and I'd give him first crack again.

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 07:47 PM
If 'everyone' an option? I can't see that game ending well unless we win 100% of clearances

LostDoggy
14-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Markovic is the best option to me. Not sure why many others have not mentioned him. So what if he isn't as mobile. I'm not that worried about Buddy up the ground, it's the d50 thats a worry and he doesnt need to be as mobile there. Just hope he doesnt chase him all over the ground, similar to the way Lake plays many forwards.

Mofra
15-08-2011, 03:07 PM
For the love of god not Shaggy. He's been a favourite over the years but he'll be lucky to hold his spot, let alone act as our no 1 backman.

the banker
15-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Mainwaring, ask for a volunteer to step forward.

BulldogBelle
15-08-2011, 03:29 PM
For the love of god not Shaggy. He's been a favourite over the years but he'll be lucky to hold his spot, let alone act as our no 1 backman.

It's a tough one but who else do you suggest? At least Hargrave should be able to keep up with his mobility and has a decent spoiling reach.

We're grooming Wood as an elite rebounding defender and he should continue to ply that trade.

In a sick, twisted, demented kinda way I'm pretty keen to see how we'll at least attempt to deal with this.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Have to agree with this -- I'm a big fan, but he's been desperately off the pace anytime he's played, and was close to worst on ground last weekend.

bornadog
15-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Have to agree with this -- I'm a big fan, but he's been desperately off the pace anytime he's played, and was close to worst on ground last weekend.

copped a sore back in the warm up, but gee a couple of turnovers he made killed us. The kick across the ground in the third quarter was woeful.

Mofra
15-08-2011, 05:07 PM
It's a tough one but who else do you suggest? At least Hargrave should be able to keep up with his mobility and has a decent spoiling reach.

We're grooming Wood as an elite rebounding defender and he should continue to ply that trade.
Wood isn't getting enough ball to call himelf a rebounding defender, and he's still a baby in senior football terms.
Giving him a huge task as a lockdown type only will not hurt his development at all.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Markovic is the best option to me. Not sure why many others have not mentioned him. So what if he isn't as mobile. I'm not that worried about Buddy up the ground, it's the d50 thats a worry and he doesnt need to be as mobile there. Just hope he doesnt chase him all over the ground, similar to the way Lake plays many forwards.

Probably because most people who understand footy at all realise that mobility is also important i50. Markovic will get murdered on the lead or whenever the ball hits the ground. Playing an immobile defender on Buddy is just madness. Thing is, you and Rocket seem to always be on the same page, so I am backing Marko vs Buddy!

For me it's Wood vs Buddy unless we are too worried about his confidence (which I can understand). I would avoid Barlow for similiar reasons to be honest. He was seen as a bit of a recycled dud when we got him and I have been pleased with his progress this season. I think being belted by Buddy could put him back a bit.

Greystache
15-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Probably because most people who understand footy at all realise that mobility is also important i50. Markovic will get murdered on the lead or whenever the ball hits the ground. Playing an immobile defender on Buddy is just madness. Thing is, you and Rocket seem to always be on the same page, so I am backing Marko vs Buddy!

For me it's Wood vs Buddy unless we are too worried about his confidence (which I can understand). I would avoid Barlow for similiar reasons to be honest. He was seen as a bit of a recycled dud when we got him and I have been pleased with his progress this season. I think being belted by Buddy could put him back a bit.

Most people would realise mobility and pace inside 50m is actually MORE important than further up the ground. I'd be just inclined to play Minson on Franklin as I would Markovic.

I'm with you Wood is the option, but the left field option could be Murphy.

Ozza
15-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Most people would realise mobility and pace inside 50m is actually MORE important than further up the ground. I'd be just inclined to play Minson on Franklin as I would Markovic.

An even more left field option - would be Jarrad Grant.
He's had a terrible year as a forward....is very quick and is tall....playing on Buddy probably isn't the best scenario...but a part of me would like to see how Grant trials in defence. Could be the making of him!!

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Yep, Markovic on Buddy is like choosing a truck to chase a Ferrari.

Maybe Bobby as a loose defender to give Wood a bit of a chop out? I think we should start Wood on him but really be proactive if things are not going well early. Keeping Buddy to 8 instead of 10 isn't worth hurting Wood's confidence. By starting Wood on him we can see how it goes. Keeping him there until it starts to look ugly. If he kicks 4 in a quarter or so, make the move.

I would rest Shaggy no matter what vs Port. He is cooked IMO and Port are JUST closer to being an AFL side to a state league one. I think Shaggy is worth his spot against the Hawks as we need as many senior tallish type defenders as possible, even ones that are done.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 05:46 PM

I'm not as worried about Buddy as I am Rioli. (Yes, I know this is a Buddy matchup thread, just sayin…)

bornadog
15-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Yep, Markovic on Buddy is like choosing a truck to chase a Ferrari.

Maybe Bobby as a loose defender to give Wood a bit of a chop out? I think we should start Wood on him but really be proactive if things are not going well early. Keeping Buddy to 8 instead of 10 isn't worth hurting Wood's confidence. By starting Wood on him we can see how it goes. Keeping him there until it starts to look ugly. If he kicks 4 in a quarter or so, make the move.

I would rest Shaggy no matter what vs Port. He is cooked IMO and Port are JUST closer to being an AFL side to a state league one. I think Shaggy is worth his spot against the Hawks as we need as many senior tallish type defenders as possible, even ones that are done.

On Saturday Ryder was on his own in the goal square and Murphy spotted him and went over to him. I was praying the ball didn't come down that end but guess what it did and they both went up. Murphy looked like a dwarf trying to jump against a monster.

I remember the 2008 qualifying final and Morris was monstered giving away 7cm and lots of weight. Wood, Hargrave, Murphy, won't cut it against Buddy. They are too short against a very tall and athletic player. Even Markovic will be giving away height let alone speed and agility.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm not as worried about Buddy as I am Rioli. (Yes, I know this is a Buddy matchup thread, just sayin…)

Both are very dangerous but I feel we match up better on Cyril with Picken and Bobby. The main reason I am worried about Buddy isn't us losing, that's fait accompli. I think there is no more potentially psychologically damaging match up than a fullback who is out of his depth against a gun full forward.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 05:55 PM
On Saturday Ryder was on his own in the goal square and Murphy spotted him and went over to him. I was praying the ball didn't come down that end but guess what it did and they both went up. Murphy looked like a dwarf trying to jump against a monster.

I remember the 2008 qualifying final and Morris was monstered giving away 7cm and lots of weight. Wood, Hargrave, Murphy, won't cut it against Buddy. They are too short against a very tall and athletic player. Even Markovic will be giving away height let alone speed and agility.

You know what? I totally agree with you but what other option do we have? It's the reason why I started this thread. Our only hope is that Buddy gets beaten by his most feared opponent, himself. As I said in the OP, it has a Scott Bassett vs Richo feel to it.

We have no one with agility/athleticism and height/weight. We have to pick one and I would go for agility/athleticism up against Buddy. One things for sure, he is going to be my SC captain.

bornadog
15-08-2011, 05:59 PM
You know what? I totally agree with you but what other option do we have? It's the reason why I started this thread. Our only hope is that Buddy gets beaten by his most feared opponent, himself. As I said in the OP, it has a Scott Bassett vs Richo feel to it.

We have no one with agility/athleticism and height/weight. We have to pick one and I would go for agility/athleticism up against Buddy. One things for sure, he is going to be my SC captain.

Yes I agree with you to. I guess all we have in the height and agility and athleticism is Mulligan and Cordy. I predict Buddy to kick 10.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes I agree with you to. I guess all we have in the height and agility and athleticism is Mulligan and Cordy. I predict Buddy to kick 10.

Mulligan has height, agility and athleticisim. He would be a great match up for Buddy if we were playing water polo or lacrosse. As much as the AFL love to change their rules, I think it's highly unlikely we will be playing either of those sports against the Hawks.

Ayce is relatively not as horrible as our other options but it will be his 1st/2nd game. Maybe Ayce and Wood can share the trauma? They can even start their own support group to help eachother get over it.

lemmon
15-08-2011, 06:25 PM

I hate the idea of Wood on Buddy, sure he might have a bit of pace and leap but its not going to be of any use when he is getting monstered at the contest or cant reach the ball. Buddy is one of the elite athletes in the game so why send one of our most precious lambs to the slaughter? I would much rather Buddy kicked 12 on Mulligan/Barlow/Markovic then shatter Wood because he might keep him to 8. Like it or not Markovic/Mulligan are key backs, Franklins a key forward, they become his direct opponent and we fill space to cut his run...and pray.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Probably because most people who understand footy at all realise that mobility is also important i50. Markovic will get murdered on the lead or whenever the ball hits the ground. Playing an immobile defender on Buddy is just madness. Thing is, you and Rocket seem to always be on the same page, so I am backing Marko

I thought those that understand footy know Buddy would murder anyone on a lead. He is one of best in the comp, if the midfield gives him supply it wouldnt matter who plays on him.
Markovic is the last tall we have defensively. At the very least he can compete 1 on 1, something Barlow or Wood can't do.
Thanks for putting me on the same page as rocket, maybe you should put your hand up for a coaching role since you have teaching experience.

the banker
15-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Dick Clay had his first game against (admittedly an aging)Teddy. Remember Griff v Ablett.

Cordy could make a name for himself = keep buddy to 5 or 6

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Dick Clay had his first game against (admittedly an aging)Teddy. Remember Griff v Ablett.

Cordy could make a name for himself = keep buddy to 5 or 6

Ablett wasn't out and out elite when Griff beat him. He was still prone to disappointing performances, a bit like Griff is now really.

You raise an interesting point. The reverse of our problem is that even a 5-6 haul is seen as doing a very good job (like Tom vs Buddy in Tassie). I have no problems starting a kid on him, just have to be very proactive in moving them before things really get ugly.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for putting me on the same page as rocket, maybe you should put your hand up for a coaching role since you have teaching experience.

Haha, maybe you could be my assistant? I'd be one of the types that would like to be challenged, then eventually just sack them when they get too annoying.

Hey Chops you eternal optimist you, last week you said we shouldn't take a long term approach to our team selection due to it being our last chance. With the Swans loss we are still a chance to make the finals (albeit a 5000-1 chance). Should we keep on playing Hudson and Shaggy while not selecting debutants just in case? As a teacher I know that 5000 is one of the big numbers.

westdog54
15-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Wood gets first crack. If he can keep him to 1 or 2 a quarter, good result.

Maddog37
15-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Mulligan for me. But will need support and if our mids get beaten it will not matter. Might be the making of him and if he gets flogged then no great loss. Markovic on Hale.

Wood is too small and they will put him one out in the square and kick it on his head all day.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Wood is too small and they will put him one out in the square and kick it on his head all day.
Shhhh

Greystache
15-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Mulligan for me. But will need support and if our mids get beaten it will not matter. Might be the making of him and if he gets flogged then no great loss. Markovic on Hale.

Franklin's not much of an overhead mark, its probably the weakest part of his game. If his opponent is going to be at a substantial disadvantage in one particular aspect of their game this is probably the best area.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey Chops you eternal optimist you, last week you said we shouldn't take a long term approach to our team selection due to it being our last chance. With the Swans loss we are still a chance to make the finals (albeit a 5000-1 chance). Should we keep on playing Hudson and Shaggy while not selecting debutants just in case? As a teacher I know that 5000 is one of the big numbers.

No your wrong again mate. I said we shouldn't play roughead first ruck just yet and a few agreed with me. We were also $2 pre game which are the only odds that you take as they are independent events not 5000/1. Even if you multiple the events was still well under 5000 and they would have shortened anyway. Hope you don't teach maths or stats.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 11:13 PM
No your wrong again mate. I said we shouldn't play roughead first ruck just yet and a few agreed with me. We were also $2 pre game which are the only odds that you take as they are independent events not 5000/1. Even if you multiple the events was still well under 5000 and they would have shortened anyway. Hope you don't teach maths or stats.

They are well under 5000/1 because the odds agencies give you include their cut.

LostDoggy
15-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Franklin's not much of an overhead mark, its probably the weakest part of his game. If his opponent is going to be at a substantial disadvantage in one particular aspect of their game this is probably the best area.

His overhead marking might be weak but when you have 11cm and 19kg over an opponent you can bank on them winning more marks than spoils if you put the ball on his head.

Rocco Jones
15-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Just for Chops, here's my go at our odds.

Note Chops, TAB et al aren't there to be fair, they take their cut. For example, ever wondered why both teams can be paying less than $2? There's about a 10% difference and even higher when odds are inflated.

Obviously we need to win all our games. Here are my non agency cut odds/chances.

Port 1.20
Hawks 15 (they haven't lost a game to a non top 2 side since round 1. I'll take out GC and Port to be fair, they are 12-0 in their last 12 games against non fait accompli games. We are worse than average even when you include Port and GC and exclude Cats and Pies- 10th out of the 13. I know the TAB won't offer 15 bucks but they aren't there in the interest of probability, they are there to make money!)
Freo 1.70

That's 30.6

Need North to lose 2 games
Freo 4
Saints 1.60
Tigers 3.70

That's about a 6

30.6 x 6 = 183.6

Also need Dees to not win all three. Even they will beat Port and GC who have given up.
Rich 1.9 (I think it's an even game, knocking odds down a tad due to distinct possibility of loss to Port/GC)

That takes us to 348.84

Then we need Swans to lose all 3
Saints 1.90
Cats 1.01
BL 9

That takes the odds to 6024.81/1 (nowhere near the chance of Chops ever conceding a point though)
..and I'm not even taking in the possiblity of Freo making it

Have a go at some of my odds but I think 5000/1 isn't a bad guess!

OK I am the biggest nerd ever.

AndrewP6
15-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Just for Chops, here's my go at our odds.

Note Chops, TAB et al aren't there to be fair, they take their cut. For example, ever wondered why both teams can be paying less than $2? There's about a 10% difference and even higher when odds are inflated.

Obviously we need to win all our games. Here are my non agency cut odds/chances.

Port 1.20
Hawks 15 (they haven't lost a game to a non top 2 side since round 1. I'll take out GC and Port to be fair, they are 12-0 in their last 12 games against non fait accompli games. We are worse than average even when you include Port and GC and exclude Cats and Pies- 10th out of the 13. I know the TAB won't offer 15 bucks but they aren't there in the interest of probability, they are there to make money!)
Freo 1.70

That's 30.6

Need North to lose 2 games
Freo 4
Saints 1.60
Tigers 3.70

23.7 divide that by 2 = 11.8

30.6 x 11.8 = 361

Also need Dees to not win all three. Even they will beat Port and GC who have given up.
Rich 1.90 (I think it's an even game, knocking odds down a tad due to distinct possibility of loss to Port/GC)

That takes us to 686/1

Then we need Swans to lose all 3
Saints 1.90
Cats 1.01
BL 9

That takes the odds to 11,848.80

..and I'm not even taking in the possiblity of Freo making it! Even if you want to knock our odds vs Hawks to 10 that takes our odds to well over 5000-1. Either way, I don't think 5000-1 is that much of a stretch.

OK I am the biggest nerd ever.

I teach Grade 4, and I can say without fear of contradiction - I have no idea what any of that means. In my defence, I'm not a gambler ;)

Rocco Jones
16-08-2011, 12:05 AM
I teach Grade 4, and I can say without fear of contradiction - I have no idea what any of that means. In my defence, I'm not a gambler ;)

I stuffed up at the North stage and had to readjust! If you need everything to go your way, you just keep multiplying! I hope a real mathematician isn't out there.

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 12:41 AM
I hate the idea of Wood on Buddy, sure he might have a bit of pace and leap but its not going to be of any use when he is getting monstered at the contest or cant reach the ball. Buddy is one of the elite athletes in the game so why send one of our most precious lambs to the slaughter? I would much rather Buddy kicked 12 on Mulligan/Barlow/Markovic then shatter Wood because he might keep him to 8. Like it or not Markovic/Mulligan are key backs, Franklins a key forward, they become his direct opponent and we fill space to cut his run...and pray.

Well said...

Key Forward = Key Back.

Mulli or Marko or both unless Williams is available.

Jones is a consideration or at least an in game switch. There is something to be said by learning from one of the best...

I dont think Woods a good option but I like the sound of Stack as a third man up for the spoil.

Far out.. we will be smashed...

Sedat
16-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Franklin's one of the few key forwards who is more dangerous roaming far and wide than he is as a 'stay at home' type, so I would hope he stays close to the goal square. If he does stay deep, stick Mulligan on him.

I wonder if Hawthorn are asking the same question of who plays on Hall? They are doing a great job of restricting supply of the ball into their defensive 50 (much like they did in 2008) but if we can break even out of the middle and win our share of inside 50's, Hall will be a dangerous proposition for his direct opponent.

soupman
16-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Ablett wasn't out and out elite when Griff beat him. He was still prone to disappointing performances, a bit like Griff is now really.

Nope. More like Griffen of 3 seasons ago. At that stage clearly very capable, but yet to show he could do it consistently or over a match or across multiple games. Griffen this year has been one of most consistently good players up until a few weeks ago when he seemed to tire.

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I stuffed up at the North stage and had to readjust! If you need everything to go your way, you just keep multiplying! I hope a real mathematician isn't out there.

Sorry to say you pretty much stuffed up it all up. The only odds you had to worry about were the Essendon game. The rest is just a long creative/make believe piece you expect from someone with an arts degree.

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Markovic. Jump in and swim, son.

Rocco Jones
23-08-2011, 11:49 PM
I am off the Wood bandwagon. I think I'd go with Barlow from the start, yikes!

jeemak
24-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Not keen on Wood taking a shot either. He'll get murdered by chopping the arm decisions, and after the week he had last week will have little confidence left.

I think Marko should get first go. And I'd be happy to see Ayce get a shot at him as well. We saw Buddy kick eight on us in a qualifying final when we all decided not to turn up in 2008, and from memory both Morris and Lake had the chore that night. Buddy is a gun and his influence is best curtailed by midfield pressure, limiting his supply. If we keep the ball at our end enough, and stifle the Hawks forward movement then he shouldn't kick any more than eight irrespective of who he plays on!

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Dahlhouse would be as effective as Barlow.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 08:30 AM

I agree, but we will never know for sure unless we give it a go.
At this stage of our season, now have the opportunity to take more selection risks
and find any latent skills / unproven qualities.

We have to play footy in half a field this week. If the ball goes into their f50, must be thought of as a goal. One tackle is worth a goal.
must cut out their midfield. easier said than done.

bornadog
24-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Peter Dean has given nothing away on who will play on Buddy, on Bulldogs TV?

Desipura
24-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Peter Dean has given nothing away on who will play on Buddy, on Bulldogs TV?
Probably cos he will be laughed at if he said Mulligan, Barlow or Wood.:D

westbulldog
24-08-2011, 11:20 PM
I reckon try to stop the supply from their running backs and midfield as best we can. I once saw 2 or 3 defenders at a time on Ablett snr (not one of our games) and it made no difference anyway.

The Coon Dog
26-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I honestly can't see anyone we have who remotely comes close to matching up on Buddy. I am really worried he'll kick 15. Made him my SC captain this week.

LostDoggy
27-08-2011, 03:26 AM

Arguably less, Dalhaus could at least challenge him for anything on the ground and pressure him a bit...

Ghost Dog
27-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I reckon Barlow will do better than everyone expects. Sorry! eternal optimist

Mofra
27-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I am off the Wood bandwagon. I think I'd go with Barlow from the start, yikes!
Will it be:
Barlow to run with him up the ground, hopefully Marko knows when to run off Hale and provide a chop out at times.
Roughy to play Wynd style and let Jones/Bazza/Cordy ruck in the front half of the ground

We will have SFA plan B

azabob
27-08-2011, 01:27 PM
If Franklin is to have a day out I hope he repeats his performance against us in late 2007(?) when he kicked 2 goals 13 behinds.

ledge
27-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Will it be:
Barlow to run with him up the ground, hopefully Marko knows when to run off Hale and provide a chop out at times.
Roughy to play Wynd style and let Jones/Bazza/Cordy ruck in the front half of the ground

We will have SFA plan B

No its a DFA plan:D

bornadog
28-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Markovic. Jump in and swim, son.

Very impressive performance. When the ball hits the ground and there is space, Buddy burns off 95% of his opponents. He did that with his first two goals, but after that Markovic was excellent.

Twodogs
28-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I honestly can't see anyone we have who remotely comes close to matching up on Buddy. I am really worried he'll kick 15. Made him my SC captain this week.

How did that work out for you?;)

The Coon Dog
28-08-2011, 05:55 PM
How did that work out for you?;)

Blowed if I know. I suck at SC, even forgot to bench the Carlton players I have! :o

LostDoggy
28-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I was wrapped in Marko's effort, I thought even. Ties Buddy beat him, he still contested very well.