PDA

View Full Version : Each club's most influential figure over your time

Rocco Jones
16-08-2011, 08:15 PM
A random idea that popped into my footy obsessed head. In your footy fan lifespan, who has been each club's most influential figure?

Some things I have considered
* Onfield success
* Lenth of service/multiple roles
* Contribution to fiannces/marketing/promotion/club's overal success
* 'Heart/romance

My life as a footy fan probably started around 1986-1987

Here goes
Adelaide- Mark Ricciuto: IMO their greatest player ever. Played in a premiership, won a brownlow and their longest serving captain. If Bickley has any success as coach he will quickly takeover though.

Brisbane- Michael Voss: Queensland boy, a great player and captained 3 flags. Now he is their coach (perhaps that's not such a positive for them).

Carlton- Stephen Kernahan: Captained them to a few flags and is now their president. Only Juddy can go close to knocking him off.

Collingwood- Eddie McGuire: Easy to forget these guys weren't in a great possie financially when he took over. Under his reign they have become the most powerful club both on and off the field.

Essendon- Kevin Sheedy: Coached to 4 flags but I think his greatest legacy is how well he promoted the club. ANZAC day, turning games against Eagles at home into big games, making something out of nothing with dream time at the G and indigenous players in general. Hirdy stiff to miss out, a flag as coach will get him the title.

Fremantle- Matthew Pavlich: Via default. Their greatest ever player, has captained them for awhile and most of all, didn't leave them.

Geelong- Gary Ablett Jnr: I know it's a bit odd considering he has left but he was their gun in over a time with 3 grand final appearances and 2 premierships. The Ablett named obviously adds to it. He gets the gig over his old man due to the elusive flags.

Gold Coast- Gary Ablett Jnr: Default

GWS- Kevin Sheedy: Izzy Folau not far off.

Hawthorn- Jason Dunstall: Goals, premierships and consistently involved at the club post-career.

Kangaroos- Wayne Carey: I know he could have ended his career there in finer fashion but he was arguably the greatest player of all time during their great era.

Melbourne- Jim Stynes: Unlike Lyon, he doesn't need to be asked twice. A great player and has been at the very least, an inspiring symbol as Prez, helping them bulldoze their debt.

Port Power- Warren Tredrea: I acutally forgot Port, there ya go.

Richmond- Matthew Richardson: Via default

St.Kilda- Robert Harvey: Two brownlows, games record, captaincy and now an assistant coach.

Sydney- Paul Roos: Just gets it over Kirk because of his multiple roles at club. Gave them great service as a player, playing in a GF, then become a popular assistant before of course coaching them to a flag and two grand finals. Along with Kirk he bought back the Bloods image. Sorry Paul Kelly, no flag knocks you out.

West Coast Eagles- John Worsfold: Two premierships as a captain and two grand final appearances and a premiership as a coach. Now he has taken them back to within touching distance of the top 4, not bad.

Western Bulldogs- Chris Grant: The 20c, the humble/noble thing, the greatness as a player, take your pick, we all love him.

Maddog37
16-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Ian Dicker from hawks. Maybe . Campbell Rose would be worth a mention too.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Ian Dicker from hawks. Maybe . Campbell Rose would be worth a mention too.

Rose loses on for two reasons IMO

1/ My 'heart' category. Unlike Eddie and co., it was mainly a job to him
2/ Massive cuts to footy department. While it was good business, he could have cost us a flag

comrade
16-08-2011, 09:03 PM
I agree with Grant but Johnno would also have to go close. Local boy, most games, captained our most successful era, AA captain. etc

Rocco Jones
16-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I agree with Grant but Johnno would also have to go close. Local boy, most games, captained our most successful era, AA captain. etc

1- Grant
2- Johnno
3- Smorgo

AndrewP6
16-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Agree, I don't know if I could split the two.

Happy Days
16-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Before my time, but Peter Gordon? There's no club without him.

Rocco Jones
16-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Agree, I don't know if I could split the two.

Grant gets the nod for me because of what he did at the end of 96. We all know about the offer but what is even bigger is the position the club was in. We were on our knees and the Smorgo rebuild would have had the worst of all starts if Grant left. I remember we had a heap of uncontrated players who re-signed after Grant stayed on. It was the same season that Fitzroy died/'merged' and what started the rot there was it's key players leaving. What would have happened to us if Grant walked out?

LostDoggy
16-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Yep Grant for me also, it was an incredibly selfless act to stay when that sort of money was being offered to leave.

EasternWest
16-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Grant. Hero.

The Coon Dog
16-08-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm a bit older (well alot older) than Rocco, so I go back to the early 70's & have done a 3,2 & 1 for each of the 16 clubs (not the newbies). Mainly off the top of my head so romance, the first thought & their contribution.

Freo probably the hardest for lack of quality & Hawthorn too just to limit it to three. Probably a bit contraversial with Plough, but he played, coached the reserves & seniors, won multiple B & F's & is a Life Member.

Adelaide - Malcolm Blight, Mark Riccuito, Mark Bickley
Brisbane - Michael Voss, Leigh Matthews, Jonathan Brown
Carlton - Stephen Kernahan, Ron Barrassi, Bruce Doull
Collingwood - Bob Rose, Nathan Buckley, Tony Shaw
Essendon - Kevin Sheedy, James Hird, Simon Madden
Fremantle - Matthew Pavlich, Mark Harvey, Aaron Sandilands
Geelong - Mark Thompson, Frank Costa, Malcolm Blight
Hawthorn - John Kennedy Snr, Alan Jeans, Leigh Matthews
Melbourne - Jim Stynes, Robert Flower, Gary Lyon
North Melbourne - Wayne Carey, Dennis Pagan, Ron Barrassi
Port Adelaide - Mark Williams, Warren Treadrea, Gavin Wanganeen
Richmond - Tom Hafey, Kevin Bartlett, Royce Hart
St.Kilda - Trevor Barker, Robert Harvey, Nathan Bourke
Sydney - Paul Kelly, Tony Lockett, Paul Roos
West Coast - John Worsfold, Michael Malthouse, Glenn Jakovich
Western Bulldogs - Chris Grant, Brad Johnson, Terry Wallace

Sockeye Salmon
16-08-2011, 11:10 PM

15 of those 16 are pretty good.

The one obvious brainfade is Wallace.

there is no possible measure that puts Wallace ahead of plenty of others. Hell, right now I'd put Luke Dahlhaus' mum ahead of him just for not having a headache.

comrade
16-08-2011, 11:15 PM
15 of those 16 are pretty good.

The one obvious brainfade is Wallace.

there is no possible measure that puts Wallace ahead of plenty of others. Hell, right now I'd put Luke Dahlhaus' mum ahead of him just for not having a headache.

I think of Richmond when I think of Wallace.

Doug Hawkins would be my number 3 after CG and Johnno.

bornadog
16-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Rose loses on for two reasons IMO

1/ My 'heart' category. Unlike Eddie and co., it was mainly a job to him
2/ Massive cuts to footy department. While it was good business, he could have cost us a flag

Also saved the club from financial ruin. Persuaded Canberra to give us funding to rebuild Whitten Oval.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm a bit older (well alot older) than Rocco, so I go back to the early 70's & have done a 3,2 & 1 for each of the 16 clubs (not the newbies). Mainly off the top of my head so romance, the first thought & their contribution.

I am a lot older so I say:

Adelaide - Who cares?
Brisbane - See Adelaide
Carlton - John Nicholls
Collingwood - Bob Rose
Essendon - Kevin Sheedy
Fremantle - See Brisbane
Geelong - Reg Hickey
Hawthorn - John Kennedy Snr,
Melbourne - Norm Smith
North Melbourne - Wayne Carey
Port Adelaide - See Fremantle
Richmond - Graeme Richmond
St.Kilda - Darell Baldock
Sydney - Paul Roos
West Coast - See Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs - EJ - by a mile

1eyedog
17-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Mine are just the first one or two players that come into my head when I think of that club.

Adelaide - Tony Modra
Brisbane - Roger Merrett, John Gastev:D
Carlton - Bruce Doull, Rod Ashman
Collingwood - Peter Daicos
Essendon - Terry Daniher, Simon Madden
Fremantle - Clive Waterhouse:D
Geelong - Gary Marlarkey, Gary Ablett Snr
Hawthorn - Chris Langford, John Platten
Melbourne - Robbie Flower
North Melbourne - Wayne Carey, Keith Greg
Port Adelaide - Chad Cornes
Richmond - Mark Lee, Michael Roach
St.Kilda - Trevor Barker, Tony Lockett
Sydney - Barry Round, Rod Carter
West Coast - John Worsfold
Western Bulldogs - Kelvin Templeton, Chris Grant

Templeton for me. He was the reason I went to the footy in the late 70s to early 80s and was a beacon for the club and the western suburbs during a very unsuccessful decade for the club. Every single kid had 31 on the back of their duffle coats in those days. He was the best player I have seen at our club and with Ablett Snr and perhaps Carey the best player I have seen over the 3 years that he dominated.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 11:11 AM
No one had any space for Warwick Capper? He's the first person I think of when I hear Brisbane and AFL in the same sentence. :)

Lockett would be my pick for Sydney. He was the biggest name in the AFL for a while there and basically cemented the club's position in NSW when it wasn't looking all that flash.

There's no doubt Smorgon/Rose have been the most influential figures at the Dogs over the last 20 years. No disrespect to any of our playing group over that time, but our biggest changes have been off-field: they changed the name of the club, landed our biggest sponsorship deals, massively updated our facilities, landed an expensive big name coach, attracted superstars to the Dogs... I'm not saying all of these moves have been great, but they have been incredibly influential.

strebla
17-08-2011, 11:27 AM

Freo probably the hardest for lack of quality & Hawthorn too just to limit it to three. Probably a bit contraversial with Plough, but he played, coached the reserves & seniors, won multiple B & F's & is a Life Member.

I would have Bob skilton there as number one never bagged the club when they headed north like so many others including my very own family he is the only glaring mistake you made Coon Dog

The Coon Dog
17-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I would have Bob skilton there as number one never bagged the club when they headed north like so many others including my very own family he is the only glaring mistake you made Coon Dog

He was before my time tho, otherwise I would have put in EJ, or Jock McHale, or John Coleman...

strebla
21-08-2011, 06:04 PM
He was before my time tho, otherwise I would have put in EJ, or Jock McHale, or John Coleman...

fair call but he always has been a part of that club which is why I would have him as an influential figure.

Doc26
22-08-2011, 11:40 AM

TCD, looking from the 70s onwards I find your list difficult to fault, we're obviously from a similar generation. I can even support your case for Wallets.

Based on Rocco's criteria of
* Onfield success
* Lenth of service/multiple roles
* Contribution to fiannces/marketing/promotion/club's overal success
* 'Heart/romance

My marginally adjusted list is:

Adelaide - Malcolm Blight, Mark Riccuito, Andrew McLeod (big game player, 2 Norm Smith's, all class)
Carlton - Stephen Kernahan, Alex Jesaulenko (Jezza was synonymous to me with Carlton), John Elliott (for bringing them success at any price)
Collingwood - Nathan Buckley, Peter Daicos (like Jezza above, personified Collingwood to me), Eddie Maguire/Michael Malthouse
Geelong - Thompson/Costa/Cook (the great turnaround), Gary Ablett Snr, Gary Ablett Jnr (the Ablett's personify Geelong over the past two decades)
Hawthorn - Agree, where do you start - Alan Jeans, Leigh Matthews, Lance Franklin (more for current day influence, just attend a Hawks family day to see his impact)
St.Kilda - Trevor Barker, Robert Harvey, Nick Riewoldt (more for his influence on games over the past ~10 years)
West Coast - Michael Malthouse, Glenn Jakovich, Chris Judd
Western Bulldogs - Chris Grant, Doug Hawkins (for heart, soul & skill, for being a Braybrook boy and for being my favourite as a youngin), David Smorgon (for leading us to be a professional outfit)

The Coon Dog
22-08-2011, 01:14 PM
TCD, looking from the 70s onwards I find your list difficult to fault, we're obviously from a similar generation.

AKA as a pair of old bastards! ;)