PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Rocket

The Coon Dog
17-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm shattered at the decision the club took today & am dumbfounded when listening to the press conference. There doesn't seem a clear reason why, well, none was appropriately conveyed any way.

I remember being excited 7 years ago when Rocket was announced as our coach.

A number of us on this forum have gotten to know Rocket quite well over the past few years to the degree that some of us attended the National Draft, regularly went out to dinner with him & could ring him with queries at any time, whether it be about training times, selection or injuries. he was so giving of his time & all of us on WOOF should be thankful for that.

Last year I was sick & in hospital. Rocket was happy to rig & see how I was going & keep me informed on what was happening during trade week.

A couple of years ago my son turned 11. After tea the phone rang & it was Rocket wishing him a Happy Birthday. Its something he'll never forget.

I really think the club has made an awful decision today.

Rocket, thank you for everything you did whilst coaching the Western Bulldogs!

ledge
17-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I agree wholeheartedly thank you so much Rocket I hope you come back one day in maybe another capacity, you will always be welcome by the fans and I have no doubt you will get an ovation from us in your final games.

Scraggers
17-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Absolutely devastated by the decision ... My trip to the Western Oval for my 40th birthday is one that I will always remember. Having a personal tour of the new facilities by Rocket ... very memorable.

I have seen a lot of coaches come and go in my time as a Bulldog supporter; I have never felt so gutted as I do right now.

Easily the best coach ... W-L record, tactically, and supporter-friendly in my time.

As much as I admire Smorgon and what he has done for our club, I really have to question the logic in this decision.

Thanks Rocket for all your efforts for our club ... you will be missed

The Underdog
17-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Rocket's willingness to interact with the fans was certainly a highlight of his tenure with us. We've had a period of success over the past few years that most of us have never encountered before. Sure it didn't result in a GF and I'm sure Rocket more than most of us wish it had.
Like TCD the lack of appropriate reasoning given in the presser is disappointing. Thanks Rocket for all you've done to take us from the position we were in 7 years ago. The best coach we've had.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I would write something well thought and meaningful but I am too shattered to think of anything worthy at the moment.

Unless we secure a Malthouse or another top-line coach, this is a DISGRACE!

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 01:46 PM
He did wonders for us. I thought he deserved the chance to rebuild our list!

Sedat
17-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Beautifully put TCD. Quality coach and quality bloke. I'm in Sydney for work today so missed the presser. Safe to say I am dismayed by the actions of our board, CEO and president today. Mission accomplished, Fantasia.

Chicago1
17-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Two years ago Rocket read on BF that my trip to Melbourne had to be cut short and that I wouldn't be able to attend any matches. He did know that I planned on going to training the week I was in Melbourne so contacted TCD to let me know that he wanted to see me. As it happened TCD was at training that day and I did see Rocket. We talked after training and he gave me a grand tour of the new facilities. He couldn't have been more hospitable. It was one day I will never forget. With American managers/coaches mostly off limits to the ordinary fan, Rocket's gesture absolutely floored me. I was on top of the world after my grand tour.

Last year during my visit I presented Rocket with a Chicago Cubs baseball cap. I found out that he wore it to a Hawks match(I believe it was) that he went to prior to us playing them. Apparently he was shown on TV with the cap on. I mentioned that to David Smorgon when I ran into him at the club later that week and he told me that he had seen it. He didn't seem too pleased that Rocket didn't have the official Bulldogs/Mission cap on like he really should have, but I was absolutely thrilled!

This year I spoke to Rocket a few times after training. He couldn't have been nicer and made me feel so welcome that I'll never forget it. I'm going to be 59 years old in two weeks and here I am at my computer late at night with tears in my eyes.

Some of you know about my reason for being here in the states, so my visits to Melbourne keep me going while I remain here indefinitely. Rocket made my last three visits ones that I will always remember.

As I said in another post, Rodney Eade has a fan forever on this side of the world. I wish him all the best for the future which I hope will be winning, well, except for when his team plays us.

Thank you, Rocket, from the bottom of my heart.

Jim

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 01:53 PM
His willingness to communicate with supporters, his demeanor through the press conference and the general manner in which he carries himself in interviews etc suggest that Rocket is a thoroughly decent man who didn't deserve to have his tenure to finish in this way.

I hope he picks up one of the coaching jobs on offer so that his career, in what he loves doing, can continue.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I met the guy and he was great. During the late 90's Wallace became my favourite coach but Rodney has surpassed him in every way in my mind.

We will see the benefits from his tenure for some time to come.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 02:00 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting Rocket at the East West family day earlier this year (thanks to The Coon Dog) He was just lovely, happy to have a chat with me about my mutual love for the Bulldogs & Melbourne Storm, and how I came to be a Bulldogs supporter at a young age whilst living in the Eastern suburbs. Good luck for your future, you will be greatly missed Rocket. :(

Daughter of the West
17-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Thank you so much Rodney for everything you have done for our club. I am very disappointed that you're going, but want to wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

BulldogBelle
17-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Have we let the media dictate our actions to us?

Who cares if we didn't meet the "pass-mark" this year set by Smorgo. The media can beat it up as they like, but surely we internally know we've been hammered by injuries, our good experienced players have stagnated and have played many players without many games to their names.

We STICK BEHIND our people regardless of the decisions the media expect us to take. Who gives a stuff if it looks like we're not upholding our expectation? We were half a chance to bound back hard next year, or continue developing at a rapid pace.

Rocket was one of us!! His ability to extract the best out of average players is fantastic. We have/had a LOT of average players when we were successful.

I hope the club knows what they are doing, I am shattered at the moment, AFL football is slipping away from me.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm totally shattered. I remember waiting for the boys to come home off the plane from the Eagles final belting in 06, and although he would have had a million things to coordinate and organise, Rocket stood with my mother for a solid 15-20 minutes discussing where he thought we were, his plans for the next season, etc. She let him know her thoughts (nicely of course!) and he nodded and just took it all on board.

He made her feel like he really cared about what she thought. Some random supporter at the airport. My mum is a 4th-gen Bulldog and she was floored, and has totally loved him ever since.

It's a massive loss for our club. I can see Lake and Ward perhaps committing elsewhere as a result of this decision and I think the board is going to be trying to calm the angry mob for quite some years yet.

ReLoad
17-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Rodney,

Thank you very much, thanks for everything you have done for us.

You bled swans blood up in Sydney, you have now chewed on the same bone with us in Doggyland.

You took the time and effort to fit in, to be one of us, you treated us all the same, from the top $ donating supporters right down to us grass roots supporters.

Thank you for everything you have done, those moments when the world seemed against us, you were there and you proved them wrong, you made the football world stand up and take notice, you made the mighty bulldogs FEARED, you made opposition supporters say, "jeez those dogs will give us a belting", you even managed to sneak in some minor silverware.

Rodney, thank you, you earned my respect, its just a shame we couldn't show you the same in your departure.

Good luck in the future we're behind you no matter where you end up.

Mantis
17-08-2011, 02:18 PM
It's a massive loss for our club. I can see Lake and Ward perhaps committing elsewhere as a result of this decision and I think the board is going to be trying to calm the angry mob for quite some years yet.

I can only see Lake bering happy with this decision.

----

Echo your thoughts TCD... Terrific guy who always had to time to speak to the fans.

Ozza
17-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Pretty devastated with the decision the club has made. Particularly seeing as they are saying they have no replacement in mind.

To echo TCD's excellent sentiments - I had the opportunity to meet Rocket and talk footy and he is simply a great bloke with a great footy mind.

He's done some great work at the footy club. I hope he coaches Melbourne or Adelaide next year and is successful.

G-Mo77
17-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Would this have influenced the decision not to renew the contract of Eade?

firstdogonthemoon
17-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Agree with OP - Rocket has been great for this club - he is a lovely bloke and I would have liked to see him continue. Thanks Rocket for everything you've done for us.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Pretty devastated with the decision the club has made. Particularly seeing as they are saying they have no replacement in mind.

To echo TCD's excellent sentiments - I had the opportunity to meet Rocket and talk footy and he is simply a great bloke with a great footy mind.

He's done some great work at the footy club. I hope he coaches Melbourne or Adelaide next year and is successful.

Melbourne, I could live with - not Adelaide

Mantis
17-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Would this have influenced the decision not to renew the contract of Eade?

I wouldn't have thought so.... Well at least I hope it didn't.

Hotdog60
17-08-2011, 02:39 PM
As everyone has said here today, I echo the same sentiments.

I think we have moved backwards today and there will be more pain then gain over the next 5 years.

G-Mo77
17-08-2011, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't have thought so.... Well at least I hope it didn't.

From the outside looking in it looked like they had issues and with all the speculation about Lake moving at seasons end I just put 2+2 together and guessed 5.

I should be careful, Damien Barrett could be reading and this will be his scoop Thursday.

bornadog
17-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I echo the thoughts of everyone in this post, nicely put by TCD.

I don't know any other coach who was so approachable and friendly with fans. Last year he gave my daughter and her friend and myself a personal tour of the training centre and he was fantastic. Despite it being an official training session he still kept checking on the girls to see if everything was ok.

The club has just let go one of the best coaches we have ever had, despite us never making a grandfinal.

Good luck Rocket and thank you.

Sockeye Salmon
17-08-2011, 02:45 PM
I'd like to echo the sentiments of TCD.

I'm still amazed that an AFL coach would take the time to sit around talking footy with a bunch of nobody supporters like us.

I feel genuinely privileged that Rocket would allow me to quiz him on his thoughts about our club even more amazed that he would answer every question (and man, there were lots of them) with such honesty.

I was playing football with my pup after the East-West day when Rodney saw me as he walked back to his car and came over and said hello (credibility boost much with the pup?) and stayed to chat with me and my pup for the next 20 minutes.

It's a shame that all my pups snapshot goals that he was sure were impressive enough to get him drafted were in vain.

always right
17-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I really hope the club has made the right decision here.

Can't help feeling that the club has looked towards the next couple of years which could be ugly and is concerned about the impact on membership numbers (already expect social club membership to plummett).

Whilst most on this board appear to be well and truly in the Eade camp, there are many bulldog members who have called for change. Clubs need hope, none moreso than ours. Is it possible that the club believes a new coach gives supporters the hope to continue their commitment to the club.........a new approach, a new gameplan?

I know this should not drive our decision making......just saying.

Anyway...I fully endorse all the comments about Eade. What an approachable bloke he's been. I wish him all the best and thank him for what he's done for our club.

The Pie Man
17-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I think the tone of this thread is testimony to the work Rocket has done with both the club & the fans - you assume when a coach is let go, that a good-bye thread may have a touch of the 'good riddance' but to a poster everyone is gutted the club have taken this direction.

All the best Rocket, I thought you were the right man to rebuild (or refresh, whatever) and am bitterly disappointed you won't be given that opportunity.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 02:59 PM

----

Echo your thoughts TCD... Terrific guy who always had to time to speak to the fans.

I thought they had more of a love-hate relationship? Is Lake's relationship with Cameron any better?

I really hope the club has made the right decision here.

Can't help feeling that the club has looked towards the next couple of years which could be ugly and is concerned about the impact on membership numbers (already expect social club membership to plummett).

Whilst most on this board appear to be well and truly in the Eade camp, there are many bulldog members who have called for change. Clubs need hope, none moreso than ours. Is it possible that the club believes a new coach gives supporters the hope to continue their commitment to the club.........a new approach, a new gameplan?

I know this should not drive our decision making......just saying.

Anyway...I fully endorse all the comments about Eade. What an approachable bloke he's been. I wish him all the best and thank him for what he's done for our club.

All I could take from the press conference was that this is exactly the reason they let him go.

We may have just given the Demons a flag. I for one hope he gets it, even if it's with the Crows. It'll hurt like hell, but if Rocket coaches the Crows to a GF (and we're not there) I'll barrack for the filth.

ledge
17-08-2011, 03:04 PM
TCD any chance of passing on our good wishes and we share in his dissappointment and that he will always be respected by the fans, even those who think his time was up, he was honest and sincere.
Even when he coaches at another club he will never get jeered by us.

The Coon Dog
17-08-2011, 03:06 PM
TCD any chance of passing on our good wishes and we share in his dissappointment and that he will always be respected by the fans, even those who think his time was up, he was honest and sincere.
Even when he coaches at another club he will never get jeered by us.

Yeah, will do. Got a text from Rocket a short while ago saying we'll talk next week.

Murphy'sLore
17-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Thank you, Rocket, for everything you've done for this club. We can only hope that you know how much your efforts, your sincerity and all round good-blokeness were appreciated by the supporters at least.

Wishing you all the best for the future, whatever it holds.

mjp
17-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I am pretty disappointed with todays outcome - though I do think that this decision has been coming for a while....all the pointers seemed to be to a parting of the ways.

Personally I will never forget the joy of the past 3 years - watching the footy every week with a legit chance to win and playing some super exciting footy.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I think this is a dark day for our club. Rocket deserved the opportunity to mould the list through the coming period. He picked our club up off the dirt and elevated it to another level and now at the first sign of trouble, he's no longer reequired??? Terrible way to end. How can Rocket be expected to maintain the form of previous years with so many injuries and players down on form? We need to make sure we get behind the new coach despite how we feel about this decision. Smells to me like the club is prediciting some pain in the next couple of years and is attempting to deflect potential membership declines etc..

Thanks Rocket for eveything and all the best in the future.

Chicago1
17-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, will do. Got a text from Rocket a short while ago saying we'll talk next week.
Hey, TCD, ask him if he'd like to manage a professional(lol) baseball team here. Looks like the Cubs will be looking for a new manager in about six weeks. But warn him that if he lives here year round, that the winters are brutal!

Please pass on my best wishes to him.

The Coon Dog
17-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Hey, TCD, ask him if he'd like to manage a professional(lol) baseball team here. Looks like the Cubs will be looking for a new manager in about six weeks. But warn him that if he lives here year round, that the winters are brutal!

Please pass on my best wishes to him.

Will do Jim.

I remember you once posted that you were coming over from America & attending training. Rocket was aware of that & asked me to get in touch with you so he could say hi & show you around. Very people friendly.

westbulldog
17-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I have always thought that Rocket Eade was an outstanding coach of this club with an excellent record. Nobody could have coached us better this season and our position is largely caused by injuries to important players. On one of my rare trips to Melbourne I went to a game at Docklands where I saw Rocket casually and happily chatting to supporters at the end of the pre game warmup - very impressive. His demeanor, professionalism and commitment to the club have never been in doubt and he will leave highly respected with our best wishes.

choconmientay
17-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Very people friendly.

Thank you Rocket. You always made us feel really welcome at the Whitten Oval (specially because we are not from English speaking background). You are good with people and with kids. My kids are loving all the pictures they took with you. I know you will do fine. Very fine where ever you go. Good luck for the future.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 03:55 PM

Thank him from me TCD and tell him he is another part of history of the 17 August
Elvis left the building.. 17 here
Azaria was taken by the dingo
Clinton caught with his pants down
The great E.J died.. sad day

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm shattered at the decision the club took today & am dumbfounded when listening to the press conference. There doesn't seem a clear reason why, well, none was appropriately conveyed any way.

A number of us on this forum have gotten to know Rocket quite well over the past few years to the degree that some of us attended the National Draft, regularly went out to dinner with him & could ring him with queries at any time, whether it be about training times, selection or injuries. he was so giving of his time & all of us on WOOF should be thankful for that.

Last year I was sick & in hospital. Rocket was happy to rig & see how I was going & keep me informed on what was happening during trade week.

A couple of years ago my son turned 11. After tea the phone rang & it was Rocket wishing him a Happy Birthday. Its something he'll never forget.

I really think the club has made an awful decision today.

Top post TCD.

I am thankful for what i was able to experience while Rodney was coach, it's not the decision i wanted.

Chicago1
17-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Will do Jim.

I remember you once posted that you were coming over from America & attending training. Rocket was aware of that & asked me to get in touch with you so he could say hi & show you around. Very people friendly.

Thanks, TCD. Rocket will never really know how much that meant to me. I'm glad that I was able to say goodbye to him before I left. I really feel awful about the decision. I just replied to the email that David Smorgon sent to us members. It just turned midnight here and I'm too agitated to go to sleep. Maybe if I watch a replay of the Cubs latest loss tonight... :( Lost to the Houston Astros who have the worst record in baseball with an Astros Grand Slam home run in the bottom of the 9th inning in Houston. It's been a bloody long summer.

The Pie Man
17-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I am pretty disappointed with todays outcome - though I do think that this decision has been coming for a while....all the pointers seemed to be to a parting of the ways.

Personally I will never forget the joy of the past 3 years - watching the footy every week with a legit chance to win and playing some super exciting footy.

Gee we've played some good footy at times since 2005 - I still remember the last 6 weeks of 2005 as one of the more exciting times.

2006 elimination final was brilliant

The lead up to the 2009 finals series was so very encouraging, and the 09 prelim is easily the most intense sporting contest I've witnessed.

Cheers Rocket

Chicago1
17-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Thank him from me TCD and tell him he is another part of history of the 17 August

And for me today is the 7th anniversary of my father's death.

G-Mo77
17-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Gee we've played some good footy at times since 2005 - I still remember the last 6 weeks of 2005 as one of the more exciting times.

2006 elimination final was brilliant

The lead up to the 2009 finals series was so very encouraging, and the 09 prelim is easily the most intense sporting contest I've witnessed.

Cheers Rocket

I'm still seething about not making it that year.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I feel sorry for him. Nobody could have done bette with our resources as they are. Smorgos comments at the start of the year were silly, re pass marks. Some good stories above. We are so reactionary to the media. Thanks heaps rocket. Bad choice.

Bulldog4life
17-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Rocket spent a long time with my parents , long time Bulldog members, at the East West day as they were celebrating their 60th Anniversary a few years ago.
They still talk about it with such affection for him. Dad is 92 & mum is 87. Still members and they are shattered. Thanks for a great time Rocket.

w3design
17-08-2011, 04:45 PM
It's a sign of the respect in which Rocket is held that there are threads like this even though this year has been so disappointing. Like others here I've found him to be an approachable, genuine, humorous man. I can't imagine any replacement that will lessen my sense that we now have a grim few years ahead of us. Thanks Rodney.

Twodogs
17-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the ride Rocket, it was sensational. You were great for the club and I'll never forget everything you did with limited resources. That time you bought the NAB cup to dinner for us to hold is the happiest football memory I have.

I really, truly hope you win a flag at whichever club is lucky to gain your services next. I'll have a smile on face when you hold the cup up.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Rocket,

You were the coaching appointment that really cemented the upward momentum of the Smorgon/Rose era after the debacle of Terry leaving and the Rohde years. It was then, along with the development of our facilities, that the club's actions started to match its rhetoric. We truly started to feel like a 'big club' once when you stepped in the door, accepting our offer over several others, bringing your reputation for being one of the best tactical minds in the game with you, and clearly having learnt from your stint in Sydney and being very deliberate about the 'people' side of the game -- connecting with players, administrators, and most of all, the ordinary fan (on which the game is built, after all). It was under your reign that the club became powerful enough on the field to attract players like Aker and Barry Hall, and we enjoyed our most successful period ever, becoming one of the 'top clubs' in the competition, to the point that everyone was (ironically enough, considering the pressure it ended up putting on you) happy to have us as a premiership favourite this year, the first time that has happened in my living memory.

I feel your disappointment at not being able to continue the stellar job you've already done this year bringing a whole bunch of younger blokes through, some who will be absolute superstars (hopefully for the Dogs, although in the era of free agency, who knows). I feel that we haven't been that far away at times this year (despite the W-L ledger), and thought that with some prudent decisions over the summer and a stronger backroom staff, we would be able to build a solid platform for another tilt in a few years. I have no such confidence now.

I had hoped that you would have the rest of your career as coach with us -- we have never been known for anything other than being the battling club with a solitary flag from a prehistoric era, and I thought we truly had the opportunity to build a reputation for stability and constant quality, regardless of actual flags, with you at the helm over the next five, ten, fifteen years. A club that was professional, competitive, regularly played finals, with a clear on-field identity and style and ethos was more important to me than simply rolling the dice every five or so years and gambling on a new coach -- we only need to look at Richmond to see how well that works out. I thought we had the opportunity to build a stable club that would work with its high-profile, highly respected and popular (and very good!) coach to really promote and expand its brand into new markets and opportunities, as Sheeds did with Essendon.

Unfortunately, I fear that you've copped the brunt for being the only true 'football' person among the powerbrokers of the club -- none of Garlick, Fantasia, Smorgon et al understand the ins and outs of coaching or list management, none of them really understand recruitment and development, and certainly none of them understand the evolution of the game over the last ten years the way you do. There were other agendas at play, and you've been the fall guy -- but you can be proud that, as was said in the presser, our win-to-football-department-dollars-spent record would be far and away the best of any club over the last 5 years.

Pragmatism and realism would suggest that you did as well as could be hoped with what you had, and but for some luck here and there would probably have achieved even more. It's not as if you leave us after years of underachievement (just the opposite, in fact) -- however, the Football Gods who are so often cruel to the Bulldogs have seen fit to ensure that the one year where lightning has struck our list was also the last year of your contract. I don't remember another coach 'sacked' midseason who still had the faith of such a large majority of a club's supporters and members. I wish you all the best, and know that you will be a success wherever else life takes you, and can only hope that our next coach has half the capacity to learn and grow and teach young men about life as well as you have. I will continue to watch your performance as coach (as long as you're not playing the Dogs!) or in the media with great interest and affection.

Au revoir, Rocket. It was a blast while it lasted.

choconmientay
17-08-2011, 05:53 PM
^^^^^^

Well said Lantern. You got my heart pumping.

Twodogs
17-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Beautifully put Lantern. That's exactly how I feel about Rocket. I wish I'd said that.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 06:10 PM
... I just replied to the email that David Smorgon sent to us members...

Good idea Chicago - I've just done the same. Not happy at all with the decision to let Eade go.

Chicago1
17-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Great post, Lantern.

However, I do object to "a solitary flag from a prehistoric era". I was two in 1954. :(

:p

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks for putting into words just what I have been thinking Lantern. It's kind of hard to digest that Rocket won't be around the club next year...... He has been fantastic for this club I love, and I thank him dearly for all he has done. Good luck for the future Rocket

Chicago1
17-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Good idea Chicago - I've just done the same. Not happy at all with the decision to let Eade go.

My reply to the email bounced back, so I sent it to the godogs@westernbulldogs.com.au address. I received a reply a little while ago that it was received.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Great post, Lantern.

However, I do object to "a solitary flag from a prehistoric era". I was two in 1954. :(

:p

Haha -- sorry. Worried about it for a bit, but wanted some bang in the words, and I do think that's how most people think of our only flag.. especially in this day and age of the 24 hour news cycle where whatever happened last week is now ancient history, and Gen Ys think that you're old if you've ever sent a letter through the post or own CDs. :)

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Haha -- sorry. Worried about it for a bit, but wanted some bang in the words, and I do think that's how most people think of our only flag.. especially in this day and age of the 24 hour news cycle where whatever happened last week is now ancient history, and Gen Ys think that you're old if you've ever sent a letter through the post. :)

Love the Gen Y statement - I wasn't born when we one our flag just missed it by a couple of years, so I know about those youngsters thinking I am "prehistoric"! :D I figure age is just a number and a state of mind though!

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Just wondering how all the players are feeling today, given how many of us are feeling? Was down at the Pound this afternoon for a late lunch and saw a few of the players - Callan Ward and Lindsay Gilbee came and sat near us and I must admit, they both looked pretty down in the mouth - shell-shocked even. I wonder if there are some players who might now look to go elsewhere because Rocket is not the coach? Do players care?

bornadog
17-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Just wondering how all the players are feeling today, given how many of us are feeling? Was down at the Pound this afternoon for a late lunch and saw a few of the players - Callan Ward and Lindsay Gilbee came and sat near us and I must admit, they both looked pretty down in the mouth - shell-shocked even. I wonder if there are some players who might now look to go elsewhere because Rocket is not the coach? Do players care?

Yeah I hope Ward doesn't now say goodbye.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Not happy about the clubs choice to stand Rocket down but it has happened. I would like the thank Rocket for everything that he has done to our club both on and off the field. I think he made the club more professonal and resepected in the footy world.

Once again THANK YOU ROCKET all the best!

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 06:39 PM
My reply to the email bounced back, so I sent it to the godogs@westernbulldogs.com.au address. I received a reply a little while ago that it was received.

Thanks Chicago - yep got the bounce back as well. All good now.

Lantern - I applauded after reading your post. Beautifully put.

I'm so fed up now. Off to eat a tub of icecream ...

Chicago1
17-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Haha -- sorry. Worried about it for a bit, but wanted some bang in the words, and I do think that's how most people think of our only flag.. especially in this day and age of the 24 hour news cycle where whatever happened last week is now ancient history, and Gen Ys think that you're old if you've ever sent a letter through the post or own CDs. :)

You young people nowadays with your fancy gadgets... :D

FrediKanoute
17-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Just going to echo the sentiments of many here. I woke up this morning in London and saw an email from the club. I knew then that Rocket had lost the pissing contest with Fantasia. I think we have made the wrong decision. I think the decision is made all the more wrong by the fact we haven't identified a replacement. I smacks of amateaurism of the highest order.

In times of crisis stability is what you need. Sacking the coach once the season is shot, before the introduction of a second new team in an era of compromised drafts to me lacks foresight. I can only glean that this has less to do with Rockets performance over his tenure and more to do with personalities at the club. Yes 2011 was a sh*t year. A major disappointment. Some of it is Rocket's fault, but a lot is not.

Thanks Rocket you are a champion bloke. I wish you all the best in you future. If you do coach again, and hopefully you will, I hope you get the GF glory you deserve.....I just hope its not against us!

Raw Toast
17-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks Rocket,

You gave us the most exciting team in the comp, helped transform the club into a group that expected success and attracted the best, and as another poster said, bled, red, white and blue.

I'll treasure the hope you brought us, and the generosity with which you gave your time, insights and friendship. I'm shattered like so many others by the decision, and wish you all the best with your future coaching (and other) endeavours.

ps Thanks to TCD for the thread, and to TCD and Mantis for the way you helped build such a positive relationship between WOOF and Eade.

westdog54
17-08-2011, 08:06 PM
The only analogy I can come up with for Rockets time at the club would be to compare it with Mick Miller's time as Police Commisioner.

Loved and admired by those under him, respected by those who oversaw him and seems irreplaceable when he departed.

Go well Rocket.

DOG GOD
17-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Not much more i can add to everyone else's comments except to say "Thank U Rocket" for the years in the coaching seat. You made other teams take notice when u came to our club. You will be sorely missed, and I certainly wish u all the best in whatever the future holds.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Met Rocket once late after a flight from Adelaide to Melbourne, at the baggage carousel. Even though he had just picked up his stuff and his wife was ready to get out of there he made time to sign my hat and have a chat about the game.

Even one of those small positive experiences stays with you forever.

Thank you for the past 7 years Rocket

Maddog37
17-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Reading these post really explains why so many people are unhappy Rocket is gone. He has done a great job on many levels.

I hope the love for Rocket doesn't become a lodestone for his replacement.

westdog54
17-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Reading these post really explains why so many people are unhappy Rocket is gone. He has done a great job on many levels.

As do I.

His replacement will have my full support to try and rebuild the club. I'll do my best to handle poor results.

Go_Dogs
17-08-2011, 08:35 PM

Agree on all counts TCD.

Rocket has been fantastic. He's brought confidence, professional and so much more to the club and really taken us into the modern era.

Whoever is selected to lead the way for 2012 has big shoes to fill, and they're going to have a lot of work ahead of them to appease the masses of Bulldogs supporters left scratching their collective heads at the decision.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Rodney for a great 7 years at the dogs, i am dumbfounded that the club has relieved you and i think this is stupid mistake. Surely an extension of a year would have been a more logical choice than getting rid of you. With injuries to key players at the moment what were they hoping for, its like entering the Melbourne Cup with a 3 legged horse a champion jockey and expecting to win!

Nuts i say but i'm only a passionate member what would i know?

Good luck Rocket i'll miss those sprays........................

EasternWest
17-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Thank you Rocket. You always made us feel really welcome at the Whitten Oval (specially because we are not from English speaking background). You are good with people and with kids. My kids are loving all the pictures they took with you. I know you will do fine. Very fine where ever you go. Good luck for the future.

Nice one! :)

Aside from what's already been said, thanks to Rocket for the 2009 prelim. The most pulsating, exciting game I've ever seen, and his coaching was magnificent that night.

So, so close.

I'm not keen to eulogise him too much. I hope he has great success elsewhere, I certainly won't begrudge him that.

w3design
17-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks Rocket for a wonderful seven years that gave me my best bragging rights a work that i can remember. Good luck at Melb

chef
17-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks Rocket, according to most around here you have proven yourself to be a great bloke and a good coach.

Cyberdoggie
17-08-2011, 09:53 PM

----

Also maybe Josh Hill? ;)

Rocco Jones
17-08-2011, 10:03 PM

I don't think that will be a massive issue. Judging love for Eade based on this site's most vocal posters certainly exagerates how much love the average Dogs member has for Rocket. A lot of the senior posters here developed a relationship with Eade. I am not doubting a lot of logical points they have made but there certainly is a least an element of passion too.

Unfortunately I believe the overall view of Eade is the opposite. IMO most of our members/fans don't really appreciate what he has done and see the prelims as failures. He has been a massive victim the lack of success over our history. I said at the start of the year that Smorgo's calls were dangerous. We were a club with aspiration mixed with desperation.

I have said in other threads that I think it's the right decision assuming a few things were and will be done in the right way. I already don't like the review panel, Fantasia being on it reeks of a conflict of interest and I wouldn't mind his own review panel having Eade there as well, in the interest of fairness.

For mine it's smelling a lot like Punt Rd to me.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Rocket - Anyone who knows anything about footy knows you've done great things with a club coming from a long way behind the opposition.
Thanks for being a real clubman. One of the most likeable coaches in the AFL secondly, but firstly, an outstanding coach. Your record - all things considered - with us has been very good.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks Rocket, you have been a great asset to our club and were so close to getting us over that final hurdle and into a grannie. All the best with your future endeavours

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Nice one! :)

Aside from what's already been said, thanks to Rocket for the 2009 prelim. The most pulsating, exciting game I've ever seen, and his coaching was magnificent that night.

So, so close.

I'm not keen to eulogise him too much. I hope he has great success elsewhere, I certainly won't begrudge him that.

My one solid memory of that game — Gia running towards goal, I'm on my knees in the Cheer Squad screaming “GO GO GO GO” and totally bawling my eyes out, veins popping out of my neck, hands to the heavens, never felt so alive at the footy in my life. Sure, he missed, Roo goaled and I cried a lot more, but it was just so fantastic to experience the sheer thrill and it was all thanks to Rocket. Disappointed we didn't win for him what he deserved, and I hope his next club does. (As long as they don't beat us to do it)

So that's what I'm going to remember when I look back at Rocket's years with us. The sheer thrill.

AndrewP6
17-08-2011, 10:57 PM

God as if the day wasn't hard enough ;) I didn't realise the others apart from Elvis' passing.

azabob
17-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Rocket, you have handled yourself brilliantly from day one. It was a great feeling going to the football the last 3 seasons in particular knowing we always had a chance of wining.

One day I hope to be able to tell you this in person.

Much respect to the way you handled yourself today.

All the best to you and your family.

EasternWest
17-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Elvis went on the 16th didn't he?

1eyedog
17-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks Rocket.

You're heart was always in it mate and you believed to the end when others didn't.

You're a bloody champion mate. Thanks for the memories.

All the best.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Check out the great image of Rocket showing Andrew Demetriou a clean pair of heels

http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/afl/rockets-reigns-20110817-1ixbp.html?selectedImage=1

Some great memories

AndrewP6
17-08-2011, 11:45 PM
As many are, I'm shattered that Rocket's tenure has ended, and particularly in the manner it did. To avoid getting the thread mired in vitriol, I'll try and keep to my positive thoughts of Rocket's time at the helm. When I heard Rocket had been appointed as our new coach, I was really happy, straight away I got the feeling we'd snagged a top-liner, even if his Sydney time didn't end happily. What he did with the resources at his disposal, was just sensational. After being at the arse-end of the ladder, we'd start to make some leaps forward, and that was exciting. After not attending in person for many years (long story!), I went to a Dogs v St Kilda game ('07 maybe?) which ended in a draw. I was hooked after that, and boy, what a time to come back! Rocket led the side through an exhilirating time - a time when, for once, our club was admired, respected and, for a time, we were "the hunted".

Some of my other fond recollections, like a number of WOOF posters, are the personal touches. I went to the family day in '08, and 'boldly' (well, I thought I was being bold!) approached Rocket for a chat, autograph and pic. He was only too happy to give some time. Not only did he respond to questions, but also made the effort to find out where I'd travelled from, and thanked me for coming on the day. Sure, he probably says that to everyone, but what sets him apart is that you genuinely feel he's interested. When someone pushed in to grab an autograph, he said very diplomatically, "You'll have to wait, I'm speaking to someone here" :D I said g'day at the 2010 East West day, and he said "Nice to see you again, thanks for coming". To me, I got the feeling he was really passionate about our CLUB, not just the team.

I also have been very impressed with the care he's shown the players. Pics of him embracing them in the rooms, his support of Griff and Gilbs when they lost their fathers, the way he's gone into bat for people like Baz.
Rocket, it's a sad day for many of us, and I only hope that whatever the next chapter holds, that you achieve the success you so richly deserve. My money's on him heading to Melbourne, and despite not giving a hoot about other clubs usually, I would love Rocket to see the ultimate success - hell, Casey Fields is only ten minutes from me, I'll drop in to say G'day to him again.

All the very best Rocket, you'll be sorely missed.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Doesn't seem to make any sense to end Rocket's contract, and the message from Dave didn't make much sense either. Didn't give any valid reasons for terminating the coach.
All the best for the future Rocket. You have been wonderful at the Doggies and we have really appreciated your efforts.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks Rocket.

I won't bother going over old ground, because the posts before mine have nailed it ... but you are a victim here - at least it seems that way early on.

Good Luck in the future, I actually hope you coach another side to a premiership.

The Adelaide Connection
18-08-2011, 01:05 AM
As many are, I'm shattered that Rocket's tenure has ended, and particularly in the manner it did.

I know what you meant but, whilst he has been sacked and ended in that sense, he still has three games to go. I think at least from a supporter and player point of view he can really go out in a positive way.

I was at Stamford Bridge on the last day of the Premier League in 2004 when Claudio Ranieri served his last match as manager after being sacked. He was seemingly loved by the fans/players and there was similar sentiments to what is being felt for Rocket.

At that game 50,000 people rose as one and were singing "There's only one Ranieri" (to the Guantanamera or "Munch on Munchero" tune). I am not a Chelsea fan and could not have cared less (I was secretly hoping the relegation bound Leeds would win that day) but it was very powerful.

So if he makes it to the Fremantle game lets hope he goes out on a high with a win and gets a rousing reception for all the great work he has done for our club. That will be the type of sendoff he deserves, not a vague press conference where few answers were given.

Chicago1
18-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Elvis went on the 16th didn't he?

16th here in the states, 17th in Australia

However, Republican Presidential candidate Michele Bachmann asked a crowd in South Carolina yesterday during a campaign stop to wish Elvis a happy birthday. :p

ledge
18-08-2011, 06:25 AM
I know what you meant but, whilst he has been sacked and ended in that sense, he still has three games to go. I think at least from a supporter and player point of view he can really go out in a positive way.

I was at Stamford Bridge on the last day of the Premier League in 2004 when Claudio Ranieri served his last match as manager after being sacked. He was seemingly loved by the fans/players and there was similar sentiments to what is being felt for Rocket.

At that game 50,000 people rose as one and were singing "There's only one Ranieri" (to the Guantanamera or "Munch on Munchero" tune). I am not a Chelsea fan and could not have cared less (I was secretly hoping the relegation bound Leeds would win that day) but it was very powerful.

So if he makes it to the Fremantle game lets hope he goes out on a high with a win and gets a rousing reception for all the great work he has done for our club. That will be the type of sendoff he deserves, not a vague press conference where few answers were given.

Can I just say he wasnt sacked, his contract was finished.

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 11:25 AM

Just heard that he's decided not to coach out the season, although reports are not clear if he'll still take the Port game.. some are saying no, some are saying yes. I think not.

Chicago1
18-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Today is Rocket's last day. :( Paul Williams will take over.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/darcy-calls-for-clean-break/story-e6frf9io-1226117122194

The Underdog
18-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Can I just say he wasnt sacked, his contract was finished.

It's a semantic argument. He was effectively sacked whatever spin you put on it. He wanted to continue in the position.
I don't see too many people happily saying at the end of this year that Callan Ward didn't leave us for more money, it's just that his contract was finished.

cinder
18-08-2011, 11:45 AM

That SUCKS! We don't even get a chance to say goodbye ... but you can't blame him I guess.

The Underdog
18-08-2011, 11:46 AM

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/darcy-calls-for-clean-break/story-e6frf9io-1226117122194

Here's hoping he doesn't rail-Rohde us by going too well.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Bon Voyage Rodney Rocket, great coach and person. You generously gave me your time when I met you on the golf course, interrupting your round to give me the lowdown and to tune into me as a person. You coached with great skill and integrity and added immeasurably to the fabric and brand of the club.
Vale Rodney Eade.

Remi Moses
18-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Thanks Rocket! That improvement in 05 will always be my favourite time, that was exhilarating. Just implore they don't make a Rohde appointment!:eek:

azabob
18-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Here's hoping he doesn't rail-Rohde us by going too well.

Nice work there underdog....

Bulldog Revolution
18-08-2011, 11:48 PM
A lots been said but the thing for me is that its going to take more than one person to replace you, which speaks volume about your influence on the club over the 7 years

Good luck in the future rocket - I wish you every success and am sure you will be a great asset anywhere you end up

I wanted you to be our next premiership coach - I wasn't alone! - aaaahh bloody spilt milk eh?

Go_Dogs
19-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Anyone catch Rocket on TFS?

Thought he was very well composed, obviously bitterly disappointed about going and still really fond of the group and the club. Couldn't be drawn into a slanging match with Sam regarding Akermanis either. A true professional.

Scraggers
19-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Thought he was very well composed, obviously bitterly disappointed about going and still really fond of the group and the club. Couldn't be drawn into a slanging match with Sam regarding Akermanis either. A true professional.

Agreed ... he was given ample opportunity to tee-off on everyone and anyone (including Fantasia) but he didn't. Consummate professional.

bornadog
19-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Professional all the way, even the way he conducting himself on Wednesday.

strebla
19-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I wish i was so professional still can't get my head around it to all the posters on here well done and a special well done to TCD and Lantern.I am still hoping the club recognises our needs to thank Rocket for how he has galvanized our club with bugger all help from the management side of things (by this I mean gross underspending in the footy dep)and he will be presented after the game with BBB so that we can let him know how we feel. I have never ever called for a backlash from supporters or members and am and always will be a bulldog for life but Mr Smorgan I am now on Dimma's train no more fantasy land for me!!!!

soupman
19-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Absolutely all class. Handled himself so well, and in the process made me feel guiltier than ever about the way things have panned out.

Maddog37
19-08-2011, 02:14 PM
He was great but he could not afford to come across as bitter and resentful lest potential suitors see him as damaged goods.

Very professional and hope he gets another chance. He could work wonders at
Melbourne IMO.

Ghost Dog
20-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Absolutely all class. Handled himself so well, and in the process made me feel guiltier than ever about the way things have panned out.

Guilty or annoyed / upset / angry?
I wrote and will write more letters to the club this week. My mates just laughed at me for doing it.
Not that it will do any good but... IMO Agree or disagree with his removal, the process does not seem fair.

I remember at the last Eagles game, some weagles supporters commented how quiet the Bulldogs supporters seemed. Are we the most demure supporters in the AFL?

Almost all of my Bulldog supporter mates say they all feel bad about Rocket, but not enough to make their voice heard.

Max469
20-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Good luck Rocket in what ever you do in the future.

You are a special man, who took time for everyone and can hold his head up high.

I work with a guy who has known Rocket since he played footy and speaks so highly of him. And Rocket also remembered him with fondness.

Thank you for being part of our Bulldog family.

Don't like how it was handled by the club unfortunately this become more the norm lately. :(

I know you can't sack a team but the players should be held accountable too.

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I have struggled with the decision and did fire off an email to Smorgon and Garlick to express my disappointment. I also sent one to Rocket and wished him the best for the future. If he were to get the job at Melbourne, I might even buy a membership there, as well as retaining my Bulldog membership.

Whatever we feel it is now done and we should support the club. Hopefully the next coach, will continue to produce a competitive team that is challenging quickly. I do believe we are in good shape to bounce back from the performances of 2011.

Ghost Dog
21-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Want to write a letter to Rocket.
Noticed Phil Mullen's address is on the AFLPA website.

http://www.aflpa.com.au/agents/afl_players_accredited_agent_list/

Let not our former coach think he was let go without some angst and support from the fans!

Chicago1
01-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks, TCD. Rocket will never really know how much that meant to me. I'm glad that I was able to say goodbye to him before I left. I really feel awful about the decision. I just replied to the email that David Smorgon sent to us members.

I just received a reply(form letter) to the email that I sent to the club over three months ago. I guess some would say I should be grateful that I received any reply at all. Oh well...

I'm making a trek to Vegas tomorrow and promise that if I win a bazillion dollars(Haven't I said that before?:p) I will pay the Bulldogs debt and run for President of the Board at the next opportunity. President Chicago1 has a nice ring to it, don't you think? :D

ReLoad
08-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Good luck Jim! dont forget the little people when you win big too!

KT31
10-12-2011, 12:37 AM
I just received a reply(form letter) to the email that I sent to the club over three months ago. I guess some would say I should be grateful that I received any reply at all. Oh well...

I'm making a trek to Vegas tomorrow and promise that if I win a bazillion dollars(Haven't I said that before?:p) I will pay the Bulldogs debt and run for President of the Board at the next opportunity. President Chicago1 has a nice ring to it, don't you think? :D

Love Vegas, it would rank right up there as being one of my favourite spots.
Have always said it would make the ultimate footy trip.
Maybe a Woof trip in a year or two.:D

Chicago1
10-12-2011, 05:37 AM
Looks like there won't be a President Chicago1. :(

I always enjoy getting away from here for a few days and forget about everything even though I almost always end up losing. With comped rooms and cheap airfares going to Vegas isn't that expensive even when you lose.

I'm heading back in February on Super Bowl Sunday. How could I pass up a comped room for three nights at Caesar's Palace worth over $1000? I'm absolutely positive that the trip will make me a Bazillionaire! :D

stefoid
14-12-2011, 10:55 AM
ah the eternal optimism required of a life long bulldogs supporter!

So how are we all feeling about McArtney now. I know its 'too early to tell', but just the vibe.

The changes , even to the playing list, due to McArtney are significant - all those bendigo bombers, plus Clay smith instead of Crozier.

ledge
14-12-2011, 11:30 AM
ah the eternal optimism required of a life long bulldogs supporter!

So how are we all feeling about McArtney now. I know its 'too early to tell', but just the vibe.

The changes , even to the playing list, due to McArtney are significant - all those bendigo bombers, plus Clay smith instead of Crozier.

Love that version never seen it before:D

I am impressed with what I have heard so far, but the main question is can he get the players to play to his game plan and is it a good one?

stefoid
15-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Love that version never seen it before:D

I am impressed with what I have heard so far, but the main question is can he get the players to play to his game plan and is it a good one?

Hard to claim a typo when I did it twice.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2019, 09:04 PM
Don’t how legitimate this is ... but it sure does sound like Rocket and Leon Cameron ... I know Rocket is infamous for his temper and sprays but this is out of this world .... https://www.facebook.com/271974086574051/posts/663074614130661?sfns=mo

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Thank you, I'm in f**king tears. F**KING TEARS!

Oh my god, that makes up for Sunday afternoon.

G-Mo77
23-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Don’t how legitimate this is ... but it sure does sound like Rocket and Leon Cameron ... I know Rocket is infamous for his temper and sprays but this is out of this world .... https://www.facebook.com/271974086574051/posts/663074614130661?sfns=mo

I was just listening to this. "Rocket, we can't think"

"Sorry.......^$&# &$&$& $&$#(!!!!!!!"

Hahahaha

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 09:11 PM
That's Cameron trying in vein, to stop the abuse and trying to get Minson off the ground. Even swearing at Rocket for him to stop.

I just listened again. FMD it got funnier.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-04-2019, 09:12 PM

That definitely sounds like Leon...not sure about Rocket's voice though

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-04-2019, 09:14 PM
Its hilarious, but if true no wonder we fell short. There is no way if that was Rocket we were getting the best of him at those moments.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2019, 09:15 PM
Leon with the composure “Rocket we can’t hear, we can’t f%#*# hear!!!!”

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Its hilarious, but if true no wonder we fell short. There is no way if that was Rocket we were getting the best of him at those moments.

He didn't call him a f**king spastic to his face. Just to the other coaches...

As a special comments man, Rocket please join woof. You scream like a fan in the stands. We've all lost it a few times when Will did stupid things. Or at least I have.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-04-2019, 09:19 PM
My wife and I are p1ssing ourselves laughing...but that is NOT someone who is in control, or making good decisions in that frame of mind.
But. I hope there is a lot more of that audio that makes it out.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Sounds like the hard edge coach GVGjr wants at the club.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2019, 09:22 PM
At the end “F%#^* you, you big shithead .... F#%*% him”

Yep. That is not a man in control. Completely lost the plot. Is that a normal coaching box sample? Or is that the exception? What game is it? Is the 2009 prelim?

azabob
23-04-2019, 09:26 PM
What ever game it was, it was very funny.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 09:28 PM
What ever game it was, it was very funny.

Yep. Although I hope it wasn't a prelim, I hope it was a dead rubber pre-season game.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Different era, different times. Rocket was probably meek and mild compared to the coaches in the past. :D

comrade
23-04-2019, 10:07 PM
The 'big shithead' comment got me. He spoke for all us who no doubt had similar feelings towards Minno at times.

Hilarious.

Topdog
23-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Came on to post the same link. Had me in tears laughing

azabob
23-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Yep. Although I hope it wasn't a prelim, I hope it was a dead rubber pre-season game.

What year was Paul Williams assistant?

bornadog
23-04-2019, 10:32 PM

Rocket's last year, but not sure before that.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 10:35 PM

2009-2011.

hujsh
23-04-2019, 10:39 PM
He didn't call him a f**king spastic to his face. Just to the other coaches...

As a special comments man, Rocket please join woof. You scream like a fan in the stands. We've all lost it a few times when Will did stupid things. Or at least I have.

Getting the most out of Rocket. No doubt he's not only not really contributing much in his rage at Minson but the other coaches are clearly distracted as well. God I'd hate to be in that box

ledge
23-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Makes sense why Cameron is a coach.
Wonder if he will make his way back at some stage ? Do Bevo and Cameron’s contracts line up ?

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Yep.

AndrewP6
23-04-2019, 11:10 PM
I’ve been sent that twice today. It’s funny, but I’m not convinced. It sounds like someone parodying Rocket to me.

GVGjr
23-04-2019, 11:17 PM
Sounds like the hard edge coach GVGjr wants at the club.

That performance is from someone who had no control or respect for his players and not someone with a hard edge. I just can't believe that it could be Rocket or any senior coach for that matter but if it was then it's a weak and highly irrational behaviour from him

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 11:18 PM
That performance is from someone who had no control or respect for his players and not someone with a hard edge. I just can't believe that it could be Rocket or any senior coach for that matter but if it was then it's a weak and highly irrational behaviour from him

True. But hilarious. Key point here.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2019, 11:46 PM
Adam Cooney on Twitter “Oh yeah it’s real”

1eyedog
24-04-2019, 12:18 AM
Absolutely sensational.

Greystache
24-04-2019, 12:21 AM
You'd hope Leon Cameron was getting two pay cheques, one for actually coaching the team and the other for baby sitting. That's a disgrace, but it was well known.

GVGjr
24-04-2019, 01:13 AM
You'd hope Leon Cameron was getting two pay cheques, one for actually coaching the team and the other for baby sitting. That's a disgrace, but it was well known.

I still find it incredibly hard to believe it was Rocket but if true to refer to someone as a spastic is the poorest of form especially from someone coaching a professional team and given their people management training. It's also disappointing that someone in the box didn't have a crack at pulling him into line him for saying that.
I'd question if he would he have had the courage to say that directly to a players face.
To think people get highly offended by comments about racism or sexual orientation and demand people are suspended in the AFL for it but somehow choose to look past the content and find humour in that sort of outburst just doesn't add up with me.
Yeah it's funny listening to someone losing their shit but the actual content of those comments isn't acceptable.
If true, it's not Rockets finest hour

Go_Dogs
24-04-2019, 08:25 AM
I've heard from someone in AFL house it's legit.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 10:01 AM
If true, who recorded this? Why is this released 10 years later.

Axe Man
24-04-2019, 10:44 AM
There's a written transcript getting around just in case you can't understand everything Rocket was screaming. Not sure it's suitable to post on here though.

I wonder if someone can figure out which which game this was from and line up the matching on field footage with the audio?

Happy Days
24-04-2019, 11:00 AM
There's a written transcript getting around just in case you can't understand everything Rocket was screaming. Not sure it's suitable to post on here though.

I wonder if someone can figure out which which game this was from and line up the matching on field footage with the audio?

I had a go, but all of Hahn, Eagleton, Aker, Minson and Jason Blake played in all 3 of our games against the Saints that year. Minson probably made critical errors in all of them anyway so it might be a bridge too far.

mjp
24-04-2019, 11:09 AM
That's pretty embarrassing. And it isn't coaching.

To be honest, even Cameron being the 'voice of reason' sounds like he is caught up in the details of some player rotations - seriously, who cares? Though it is good that he was actually prepared to stand up and tell Rocket to shut-up a few times (though once should have been more than enough).

Interesting that Rocket is caught up in basically commentating on the game and the players...

bulldogtragic
24-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Assuming that this was well known, which it seems to have been, why in hell did GCS think putting him in front of a bunch of kids was a good idea. I mean the Harbrow thing was shithouse and many others left or threaten pde to leave. Hearing the audio just leaves me dumbfounded on GCS going hard to get him out of Collingwood.

Axe Man
24-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Rodney Eade says viral, vulgar audio isn’t him (https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/rodney-eade-says-viral-vulgar-audio-isnt-him/news-story/d73cbd0fef43dd828f730a48cf73468e)

Famously-volatile footy coach Rodney Eade denies he’s the culprit in an expletive-laden piece of audio that's gone viral on the internet.

Rodney Eade once described Will Minson as the “dumbest smart bloke” in the AFL, but insists he’s not behind the blast the former Western Bulldogs ruckman cops in a viral piece of audio recently posted online.

Eade, a former Hawthorn and Brisbane player, transitioned into coaching in the 1990s and became famous for his sprays at Sydney, the Bulldogs and Gold Coast.

Popular Facebook page “Nuffies on AFL Pages” has shared expletive-laden audio of what they claimed to be Eade going bananas in the coaches box during a game between the Bulldogs and St Kilda in 2009.

The 76-second clip, which has been viewed more than 250,000 times, was posted with an image of Eade talking to Minson and also features a voice which sounds distinctly like then-Bulldogs assistant Leon Cameron.

“F*** you Will! F***ing run Will!” the angry voice begins.

“Rocket Rocket Rocket, we can’t think, come on mate,” the calming voice responds.

“You f***ing big f***ing spastic,” the voice continues, as a fist is heard thumping a desk.

“F***ing get him off! Get Minson off!”

“Rocket Rocket Rocket, we can’t hear.”

“F*** you, you big s***head. F*** him.”

But Eade told news.com.au he’s been “stitched up” and that the voice in the video was “too high pitched” to be his.

“It’s not me, someone’s done an overlay,” Eade told news.com.au on Wednesday morning.

News.com.au has contacted the page to seek clarification. Supporters have almost universally reacted with the assumption it’s Eade and even attempted to pinpoint the game as the 2009 preliminary final.

“I’m in tears. Every Doggie supporter should listen to this after the weekend to cheer us all up!” one posted.

“Let the fans listen to this instead of sideline commentary,” another wrote.

“This is the insight Channel 7 should be giving fans instead of interviewing players boundary side.”

EADE’S FAMOUS ‘PUMPKIN’ SPRAY

Eade had a reputation for giving players the hair dryer treatment and former charge Nathan Brown recently recounted a blow-up at former Swans ruckman Stefan Carey during a grand final.

“There was one spray that he gave one of the Sydney players, Stefan Carey, in a grand final,” Brown said.

“It was halftime of a grand final and he (Eade) said to Stefan Carey, ‘I bet you were feeling pretty good today, it’s grand final day, you probably got up, had your breakfast, feeling good about yourself, how good I’m playing in a grand final today’.

“‘You drove to the ground, you got ready’ and then he (Eade) just unleashed. He goes, ‘At what stage did you decide to take your head off your shoulders and replace it with a f***ing pumpkin?’”

But while Eade was known for putting players in their place, he was calculated with his bakes to get the most out of his troops.

“I asked him (Eade) about spraying players and he said, ‘There were certain players I was able to spray’,” Brown said.

“He goes Brian Lake … and Will Minson. He knew he could spray those two blokes and they would respond to it.”

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-04-2019, 11:26 AM
I had a go, but all of Hahn, Eagleton, Aker, Minson and Jason Blake played in all 3 of our games against the Saints that year. Minson probably made critical errors in all of them anyway so it might be a bridge too far.

I think i read a comment somewhere lined it up as Round 17 2009 as the likely game.

I hope it was a very isolated incident, because that's 'plonker at the bar barracking' not coaching.
Completely out of control and maybe that explains why Rocket ultimately fell short.

***Interesting Rocket has refuted the claim.
Thank goodness.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Haha, someone has had some fun at Rocket's expense.

Grantysghost
24-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Why would they record that?

angelopetraglia
24-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Leon Cameron's voice sounds spot on too.

It's difficult to accept that it happened. However, it's equally difficult to believe that someone has taken considerable effort of creating a small snippet from a coaches box that happened 10 years ago with multiple accurate voices and background noise just for some cheap laughs.

Rocket Science
24-04-2019, 11:41 AM
There’s some comfort in learning coaching the Dogs has much the same effect as barracking for them.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 11:41 AM
Why would they record that?

Exactly what I said.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 11:42 AM

It's difficult to accept that it happened. However, it's equally difficult to believe that someone has taken considerable effort of creating a small snippet from a coaches box that happened 10 years ago with multiple accurate voices and background noise just for some cheap laughs.

Cheap laughs, 250,000 views - wow

Twodogs
24-04-2019, 12:09 PM
I still find it incredibly hard to believe it was Rocket but if true to refer to someone as a spastic is the poorest of form especially from someone coaching a professional team and given their people management training. It's also disappointing that someone in the box didn't have a crack at pulling him into line him for saying that.
I'd question if he would he have had the courage to say that directly to a players face.
To think people get highly offended by comments about racism or sexual orientation and demand people are suspended in the AFL for it but somehow choose to look past the content and find humour in that sort of outburst just doesn't add up with me.
Yeah it's funny listening to someone losing their shit but the actual content of those comments isn't acceptable.

Yep I completely agree. If it is Rocket and I am relieved to see that he has come out and said it wasn't then it is unbelievably disappointing. Especially the spastic comment, but that is one thing that makes me think it isn't him. I've had quite a few interactions and spent a bit of time with him and he has never struck me as the type to use a word like that in a pejorative manner. Sure he swears and Fs and blinds and says a few things that aren't exactly politically correct but he's not the cruel type, he'd be more likely to walk over and say hello to somebody with a disability than point and laugh or call them names.

He's more inclusive than exclusive if that makes sense.

Twodogs
24-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Clickbait.

Ozza
24-04-2019, 12:15 PM

My best mate spent years in the St.Kilda box - and I can assure you that although a more 'controlled' delivery, Ross Lyon uses the same language, and it was well known that Rocket was like that in the box - but would generally compose himself before addressing the players.

angelopetraglia
24-04-2019, 12:21 PM
If it is a fabricated piece of audio ... it was good enough to fool Luke Darcy (six minute audio from his breakfast show this morning)

Darcy "This is 100% Rocket"

https://omny.fm/shows/hot-breakfast/the-hot-breakfast-on-the-rocket-eade-will-minson

Ozza
24-04-2019, 12:32 PM
I agree.

Nobody ever things their voice sounds like them on a recording!

GVGjr
24-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Yep I completely agree. If it is Rocket and I am relieved to see that he has come out and said it wasn't then it is unbelievably disappointing. Especially the spastic comment, but that is one thing that makes me think it isn't him. I've had quite a few interactions and spent a bit of time with him and he has never struck me as the type to use a word like that in a pejorative manner. Sure he swears and Fs and blinds and says a few things that aren't exactly politically correct but he's not the cruel type, he'd be more likely to walk over and say hello to somebody with a disability than point and laugh or call them names.

He's more inclusive than exclusive if that makes sense.

His word is good enough for me.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 12:58 PM
I agree.

Nobody ever things their voice sounds like them on a recording!

Why would anyone record a coach on game day in the box?

Rocket said it wasn't him, I believe him.

hujsh
24-04-2019, 01:13 PM
If it is a fabricated piece of audio ... it was good enough to fool Luke Darcy (six minute audio from his breakfast show this morning)

https://omny.fm/shows/hot-breakfast/the-hot-breakfast-on-the-rocket-eade-will-minson

Darcy was our injured captain 2005-6. He'd have spent plenty of time in that coaches box.

Grantysghost
24-04-2019, 01:19 PM

Actually after hearing that hard to think it's not genuine. Darce even relates his own experience. We need Leon to be the tiebreaker but im sure he's got more important things to worry about. Very funny either way.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Actually after hearing that hard to think it's not genuine. Darce even relates his own experience. We need Leon to be the tiebreaker but im sure he's got more important things to worry about. Very funny either way.

Rocket's tweet:

For everyone having a chuckle at some audio from the coaches box of 10yrs ago,I can say the audio has been “doctored” with pieces added and condensed for effect. Parts are not me, very clever impersonator. Good stitch up!

G-Mo77
24-04-2019, 05:57 PM
How would they get audio? But then why would they choose to make up something like this which allegedly took place 10 years ago? Either way it's hilarious.

ledge
24-04-2019, 07:26 PM
How would they get audio? But then why would they choose to make up something like this which allegedly took place 10 years ago? Either way it's hilarious.

You can do anything you want with computers nowadays it’s not really hard, and yeah it could all be Eades Voice, but taken from all different places / interviews and cut and spliced , but yeah it is hilarious, I think the give way is how he is yelling and screaming then out of the blue calmly says sorry.

Grantysghost
24-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Either way it musnt be far from the truth if it's fooled so many ! Classic.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2019, 07:49 PM
You can do anything you want with computers nowadays it’s not really hard, and yeah it could all be Eades Voice, but taken from all different places / interviews and cut and spliced , but yeah it is hilarious, I think the give way is how he is yelling and screaming then out of the blue calmly says sorry.

I remember that interview with Kristy Malthouse on channel 10. She asked how he rated Will's game, and Eade casually yelled 'he's ok today, but a F**KING SPASTIC. And I just can't forget the interview on 3AW with Rex Hunt was talking about Will's saxophone playing and Eade say that 'he's really very good, and a F**KING SHITHEAD'.

As for Leon Cameron swearing at Rocket. That's not true either, Leon was doing special comments on a mates YouTube channel on the latest SpaceX flight, and got too excited and was swearing at 'a rocket' not 'rocket'. They cut the 'a' out.

As for splicing all the names from the same finite period of coach, assistant coaches & players. That was exceptional research and luck to get perfect crossover. Their genius was using a head coach who no one cares about anyone, and a former player of which the vast majority of league fans don't think about. And to make it about 10 years, because everyone remembers every 60 seconds of speech from 10 years ago. All this non income generated work on a F**KING hilarious conspiracy tape.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2019, 08:10 PM
I remember that interview with Kristy Malthouse on channel 10. She asked how he rated Will's game, and Eade casually yelled 'he's ok today, but a F**KING SPASTIC. And I just can't forget the interview on 3AW with Rex Hunt was talking about Will's saxophone playing and Eade say that 'he's really very good, and a F**KING SHITHEAD'.

As for Leon Cameron swearing at Rocket. That's not true either, Leon was doing special comments on a mates YouTube channel on the latest SpaceX flight, and got too excited and was swearing at 'a rocket' not 'rocket'. They cut the 'a' out.

As for splicing all the names from the same finite period of coach, assistant coaches & players. That was exceptional research and luck to get perfect crossover. Their genius was using a head coach who no one cares about anyone, and a former player of which the vast majority of league fans don't think about. And to make it about 10 years, because everyone remembers every 60 seconds of speech from 10 years ago. All this non income generated work on a F**KING hilarious conspiracy tape.

There's no collusion though.:)

angelopetraglia
29-04-2019, 11:21 AM
AFL 2019: Former AFL coach Rodney Eade comes clean on viral rant … but there’s a catch .... https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-former-afl-coach-rodney-eade-comes-clean-on-viral-rant-but-theres-a-catch/news-story/2355ed88572bf0dd72b1ba06aa1deac7

Ozza
29-04-2019, 11:28 AM
What a shock that it is actually his voice...

bulldogtragic
29-04-2019, 11:34 AM
What a shock that it is actually his voice...

I guess all those who took Rocket at his word (lies) last week, now take Rocket at his word (???) this week? :D

westdog54
29-04-2019, 02:33 PM
I guess all those who took Rocket at his word (lies) last week, now take Rocket at his word (???) this week? :D

Its bizarre.

Why deny its you when you know it actually is you?

Even if it isn't a single long rant (several rants interspersed throughout a game), it doesn't change the fact that it is hardly ideal behaviour from a coach, even if it is within the confines of the box.

bulldogtragic
29-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Its bizarre.

Why deny its you when you know it actually is you?

Even if it isn't a single long rant (several rants interspersed throughout a game), it doesn't change the fact that it is hardly ideal behaviour from a coach, even if it is within the confines of the box.

I'm not sure why felt the need to re-address the issue, and admit lying in the process. Bizarre in deed.

GVGjr
29-04-2019, 03:15 PM
I've said this previously that if it was true it wasn't Rockets finest hour. Now that he has backtracked and conceded it's him it's a very poor display almost bordering on despicable by a coach who should have known better.

I stand by my previous comments on the matter.
People were calling for Rendells head when he talked about some of the challenges faced by indigenous players and he paid a high price for it, some called for Eddies head for his insensitive comments a couple of weeks back about the coin toss. Well I hope the same people now take Eade to task for his comments but I'm not confident they will.
I'm also annoyed that he mislead so many of us who were prepared to back him when he said it wasn't him.

AndrewP6
29-04-2019, 03:42 PM
I've said this previously that if it was true it wasn't Rockets finest hour. Now that he has backtracked and conceded it's him it's a very poor display almost bordering on despicable by a coach who should have known better.

I stand by my previous comments on the matter.
People were calling for Rendells head when he talked about some of the challenges faced by indigenous players and he paid a high price for it, some called for Eddies head for his insensitive comments a couple of weeks back about the coin toss. Well I hope the same people now take Eade to task for his comments but I'm not confident they will.
I'm also annoyed that he mislead so many of us who were prepared to back him when he said it wasn't him.

Nope, not even close. McGuire publicly belittled a disabled person before disingenuously claiming he didn't know who she was. Eade made comments during a game, in a private coaches box about a players game play and ability, which were then digitally manipulated (looped).

Despicable? :D Nope. The question needs to be asked about how and why it was recorded in the first place. I'd bet money that plenty of coaches past and present tee off at players like that.

bornadog
29-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Eade made comments during a game, in a private coaches box about a players game play and ability, which were then digitally manipulated (looped).

Makes it seem worse than it is.

Anyway, not sure why people are up in arms about this from 10 years ago.

Coaches have changed now, but I bet there has been a lot worse said in the coaches box over 10 years ago.

AndrewP6
29-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Makes it seem worse than it is.

Anyway, not sure why people are up in arms about this from 10 years ago.

Coaches have changed now, but I bet there has been a lot worse said in the coaches box over 10 years ago.

TV camera went to Bevo a number of times on Saturday. I'm no lipreader but I don't think he was saying "Oh dear. What a rotten bit of luck" 😂

GVGjr
29-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Nope, not even close. McGuire publicly belittled a disabled person before disingenuously claiming he didn't know who she was. Eade made comments during a game, in a private coaches box about a players game play and ability, which were then digitally manipulated (looped).

Despicable? :D Nope. The question needs to be asked about how and why it was recorded in the first place. I'd bet money that plenty of coaches past and present tee off at players like that.

And that makes it right? It's a disgusting language to use against a colleague. I can't imagine too many work places accepting it.

To each their own though.

AndrewP6
29-04-2019, 05:11 PM
And that makes it right? It's a disgusting language to use against a colleague. I can't imagine too many work places accepting it.

To each their own though.

Not many workplaces are the same as a professional sports team. You can't compare it to, say, an office job. I don't know of many people who haven't mouthed off about colleagues (me included). Passion will make you say things you mightn't normally. So will incompetent colleagues.

Anyhoo, it was 10 years ago. Time to move on.

bornadog
29-04-2019, 05:32 PM
Not many workplaces are the same as a professional sports team. You can't compare it to, say, an office job. I don't know of many people who haven't mouthed off about colleagues (me included). Passion will make you say things you mightn't normally. So will incompetent colleagues.

Anyhoo, it was 10 years ago. Time to move on.

Also society has changed and we don't speak like that anymore, so we can't judge things that happened 10 years ago with today's morals and political correctness.

GVGjr
29-04-2019, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure if I would trust his word now but Rocket should apologise to Minson and the wider audience for his appalling comments and the fact that he originally denied saying it.

jeemak
30-04-2019, 12:06 AM
Not sure he needs to apologise for anything to be honest. It happened ten years ago and there's no point in apologising if he isn't sorry in the first place.

It should be embarrassing for him, irrespective of whether the poor comments were looped it just shows how he wasn't able to control himself at times and leads some to conclude if he was, he'd have possibly been able to think his way through in game situations a little more coherently and possibly have more success.

Having said that, there are genuinely people who release the valve and get back on the job and perform well anyway. To me this is a situation to have an ironic laugh at, and move on.

bulldogtragic
30-04-2019, 03:14 PM
The surprise is, from things I've read, the journo's have forgotten that when he was coach at Sydney and was running down to the ground at a 1/4 or 3/4 time break, a senior copper stopped him then asked him stop screaming obscenities (open windowed coaches box) within ear shot of the crowd and that he wasn't immune from action. They missed a shot to say 'NSW police spoke to Eade about his abuse and swearing behaviour when Sydney coach'.

Ah well, the story is dead now. I bet when this thread was started, we didn't think it would end like this!

Bulldog4life
30-04-2019, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure if I would trust his word now but Rocket should apologise to Minson and the wider audience for his appalling comments and the fact that he originally denied saying it.

Rocket did say he is in regular contact with Minson.

ledge
01-05-2019, 06:19 AM
It’s white line fever , go off while in the moment, I bet him and Minson are okay, what happens on the field stays on the field, that was my experience in all sports , once the games over you were mates.
Minson survived under Eade so he couldn’t have been that bad.

Murphy'sLore
01-05-2019, 11:26 AM
As I recall, there was a bit of fallout after Eade's 'smartest dumb bloke' (or 'dumbest smart bloke'? Can't remember) remark at the time. Mind you, that was off-field, maybe that was the difference.

1eyedog
01-05-2019, 02:30 PM
But wait, there's more

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw3I-tdgRPO/?utm_source=ig_embed

Mofra
01-05-2019, 03:04 PM
But wait, there's more

I think a sociologist would politely refer to this as a 'reversion to the mean' behaviour.

Greystache
01-05-2019, 03:29 PM
But wait, there's more

To be fair that was a few days after falling over the line against last on the ladder, which was following on from missing the finals for the first time in 23 years in his first season as coach, and threats of a mass player walk out if the club brought him back this year.

I think the approach of "the abuse will continue until moral improves" looks a winner. Well except obviously for the player who decided to record and release the abuse to the public to give people an idea of what they have to put up with. He's probably not quite as on board, so I'd suggest he needs a really personal abuse session to turn his attitude around.

ledge
01-05-2019, 03:51 PM
To be fair that was a few days after falling over the line against last on the ladder, which was following on from missing the finals for the first time in 23 years in his first season as coach, and threats of a mass player walk out if the club brought him back this year.

I think the approach of "the abuse will continue until moral improves" looks a winner. Well except obviously for the player who decided to record and release the abuse to the public to give people an idea of what they have to put up with. He's probably not quite as on board, so I'd suggest he needs a really personal abuse session to turn his attitude around.

That was a normal coach back in the 80s when I was playing.
Wasn’t called “Rocket” for nothing.
In all of this though he must have been a decent coach he got teams to pre Lims.

hujsh
01-05-2019, 04:02 PM
That was a normal coach back in the 80s when I was playing.
Wasn’t called “Rocket” for nothing.
In all of this though he must have been a decent coach he got teams to pre Lims.
Do you think it actually helps though? I think more often than not it doesn’t.

ledge
01-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Do you think it actually helps though? I think more often than not it doesn’t.

Pick your targets yes it does, I think it all depends on the collective team and make up , back in the day it would happen at game breaks if you put in a shit quarter, but if the team you were playing were too good you knew it wouldn’t work.
Remember terry Wallace and the “I will spew up” rant ? It wasn’t personal I know but it worked I have no doubt.
I guess a rant is ok if it’s deserved and the players admit to not doing what you have been training to do all year.
A lot of variables to a rant and you can’t just go on a clip of a rant, the history of why and what lead to it have to be looked at.

AndrewP6
01-05-2019, 07:21 PM
I was once coached in wheelchair basketball by a guy who went on to coach the national team to a gold medal at the Paralympics. He used a similar style. As the Brothers Gibb once sang, “It’s only words”.

bornadog
08-05-2019, 02:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfqY_Nk6WUg&feature=youtu.be

EasternWest
08-05-2019, 09:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfqY_Nk6WUg&feature=youtu.be

Very funny. Bob doesn't have a bad voice.

Murphy'sLore
09-05-2019, 03:26 PM
As a youth Bob was tossing up between music and football. Turns out he can do both!

Twodogs
09-05-2019, 11:04 PM
As a youth Bob was tossing up between music and football. Turns out he can do both!

I'm glad that he did footy first though.

bornadog
10-05-2019, 09:44 AM

At a Family day many years ago when Bob was very young, there was a band playing up on stage and I said to him, "you should be up there" and he said, No way, I know my limits.

bornadog
15-05-2019, 01:06 PM
One for Sedat

What it’s like to cop a Rocket (https://www.playersvoice.com.au/ed-barlow-what-like-cop-rocket/#Y4PfZYuveH6R1jgf.97) by ED Barlow

I will never forget a game I played for Western Bulldogs against the Gold Coast Suns in 2011 when I went against the game plan and didn’t kick down the line, like I was told. Twice.

The runner came out and pointed to the bench, where the dreaded phone was waiting. Any player will tell you: ‘No one wants to answer that phone.’

I picked it up and Rodney ‘Rocket’ Eade was waiting on the line. I soon made my third mistake that day.

I tried to explain myself and boy did I get one of Rocket’s famous sprays — an animated emotional response to an action that he disagreed with.

Rocket’s sprays were often talked about throughout the club rooms, and, having been at the Sydney Swans for the previous five years before I became a Bulldog, there were two things in my AFL career I wanted no part of: a 6am punishment session or a Rocket Eade spray.

By now, you’ve probably heard the Rodney Eade coaching box recording, or at the very least had someone from the football world tell you about it. Some of you might have listened with disgust or amazement. Others would have gotten a laugh out of it. And for some it might take them back to a coaching spray they once endured.

Before I try to explain my own thoughts on the Rocket recording, I want to impress that I do not condone what’s in it. I have seen and received coaches’ comments many times over the years and know the damaging affects their words can have on a player and, more importantly, a person.

While I do not agree with a lot of coaching sprays and believe there are more beneficial ways to motivate a player, I do understand why some coaches chose to verbally vent their frustrations.

Often in the professional sporting world, we hear about the pressure that players are under each week. We are told they are dealing with losses, injuries, non-selection, contracts, internal and external perceptions, including from the media and many more issues.

Until you have lived inside the world of professional sport, it is hard to gain a true understanding of these pressures.

For a coach, I reckon you could times these pressures by 45 for all the other players on a list, add another 15 to that for the other coaches and support staff that are under your watch, and then add another 10 for the powerful and opinionated board members critiquing your every move.

It’s fair to say with all these going on around you, it might be hard for a coach to act calmly at times when things don’t go their way.

SPRAY PSYCHOLOGY

After I finished my relatively short-lived AFL career, I began to study psychology, as I wanted to explore, understand and learn more about the consequences of these pressures and why we sometimes behave the way we do in certain environments.
I was also interested in being able to assist players and coaches to have more awareness, more tools and more techniques to handle their professional environments.

I learnt from my studies that key contributors to our behaviour are those close to us, such as our parents or caregivers. In a sporting environment you need to understand your coach is like your parent or your caregiver.

From the age of 18 when you first get drafted, all you want to do is make that person happy and content with your behaviour, as they are the person that decides your fate. Like your parents as you grow older, you start to notice certain behavioural traits that are similar to theirs.

So it only makes sense that many past players who become coaches have learnt certain behavioural patterns or coaching styles from their previous coaches.

Rocket was raised as a player under legendary coaches David Parkin and Allan Jeans. I have only heard stories about Parkin and Jeans, but I feel I can accurately assume that they both could deliver an animated address or an emotional response to a player’s action.

I am only guessing, but I think it is safe to assume that other coaches around the time of Rocket’s development years as a coach would act in a similar manner and that is the old school way of coaching, which seemed to be ‘play harder, faster and don’t complain’.

This way of coaching could have also been reinforced to a young Rocket as the right approach, as he saw this coaching style have a lot of success under both Parkin and Jeans.

I played only one season under Rocket as a Bulldog after five years at the Swans under Paul Roos. Both coaches had their different ways and I’m fairly sure both had their challenges with me as a player.

I was the footballer who some might consider ‘un-coachable’; there were times when I was out of the game before the ball had bounced. I was that player who would often overthink, catastrophise or misinterpret every message.

So I can understand the frustrations coaches had with me. However, I will take this chance to add that some coaches make it incredibly hard to know what they are thinking, what they are planning, and where the hell you stood each week after a game.

This is what I really liked about Rocket; as a player I felt I knew exactly what he thought of me and where I was in his future plans.

FOLLOW-UP IS CRUCIAL

Now, back to the Gold Coast when I received my first Rocket spray that almost split the internal cords of the visitors’ phone in the coaches’ box …

I’ll never forget being at the airport after the game. Calmness had approached when Rocket came straight up to me to follow up his spray.

This was something that was unfamiliar to me. My previous encounters with coaching sprays was that you both would avoid each other until enough time had passed or you had a better game, which I later learnt was a common reaction to anxiety.

I can only give you my own experience under Rocket, but he would always follow up after every game and tell you exactly what he was thinking. Regardless of what the level of spray was or how many phones he had gone through on game day, he would always explain what he was trying to say at the time.

Some coaches make it hard to know what they’re thinking or planning and where the hell you stood each week. This is what I really liked about Rocket; as a player I felt I knew what he thought of me and where I was in his future plans.

As a player, I felt it was his way of clarifying any misinterpretations, reminding you that it wasn’t personal, even though it often sounded like an attack, and him saying that he let the pressure and his emotions get the better of him.

The follow-up after an almighty spray is a key response and an absolute must from a coach. Often during an emotional time, we can say things that we regret. I think anyone reading this will be thinking of a time when they have once acted on pure emotion.

Often it is when we are frustrated about something or someone, so we lash out. However, more often than not, it is for us and not the person or object that we are frustrated with.

Often when we let emotion and frustration into our voice, messages can get lost and, as a player, that can keep you guessing like you wouldn’t believe. That is where the follow-up tool for a coach is crucial, so the player and the coach can go back to being on the same page, and this is where Rocket excelled.

Unfortunately, in this recent Rocket case there were a few players who didn’t even get a chance to hear their spray until almost a decade later, which is not right. One fear of mine is that these players will be known more from the recent recording, as opposed to them being great characters and players. However, knowing Rocket I would be surprised if he hasn’t already followed up with both players to make sure they are OK and to apologise for his behaviour.

It can be said that Rocket could lose it at times and get emotional and blunt. I have no doubt there would be things he has said that he regrets, but there was a lot more to Rocket than a spray; he was passionate about winning and determined to help his players improve. He coached at the highest level for a long time and many seemed to forget he had a lot of success also.

I feel at times there can be space for an animated motivational conversation with a player or players, but I would always suggest to a coach or parent to stop and think: Is this for the player/child or is this for me to deal with my own emotions? I think you’ll find it is the latter that is often the answer.

THE NEW COACH

Since finishing my AFL life the same season as Rocket ended his stint at the Bulldogs, I have recently finished all of my psychological studies to become a general psychologist. During this time, I have seen the new wave of coaches coming through who seem to have learnt that the days of the old school sprays are gone.

I often hear coaches talk about awareness, narrative, mindfulness and acceptance, which in psychology can be tools to deal with emotional responses and can also assist them in their pressure-cooking environments.

This appears to be the way of the new coach, as they are now getting the education and the science behind the best practice to motivate a player and a team. This needed to happen; whilst coaches are under enormous stress they can, at times, forget how damaging words can be to an individual.

I once researched past players’ experiences in the AFL and I was amazed how most players could remember word for word what a coach had said to them during their career and how much those words had stayed with them in their futures.

Therefore, it’s important that coaches are always educating themselves around the psychology of motivating their team and having strategies in place to be able to deal with the pressures of professional sport.

Any player, especially regular emergency players like myself, would tell you that the coaching box was an uncomfortable room where you would hear some emotional outbursts which would be frowned upon in most workplaces.

But there is a reason why a coach might react the way they do, though luckily I feel the time for this type of reaction has passed. While the recordings may become a remembrance point for Rocket’s coaching, I hope that’s not the case.

Above all, I saw first-hand some great coaching qualities that he brought into the coaches’ box and club rooms.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Malthouse's first preseason with us. Elsternwick oval for intraclub match. Quarter time and my bro and I go to the huddle. I was looking forward to hearing the then modern approach thinking it would follow current mangement practice of positive reinforcement. No Malthouse was full of negativity, 'why didn't you do that..' etc.

westdog54
15-05-2019, 02:37 PM
The follow-up after an almighty spray is a key response and an absolute must from a coach. Often during an emotional time, we can say things that we regret. I think anyone reading this will be thinking of a time when they have once acted on pure emotion.

Its interesting watching some of Gordon Ramsay's shows with this line in mind.

In the moment, he can get very heated with some of the ways he treats chefs/owner on his shows (He very, very rarely raises his voice at service staff on any of his shows).

But once the moment has died down and he has a quiet few minutes, he's able to sit down with the person and go through things very calmly, with a genuine desire to see that person do better than they are.