PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Smorgon to step down

bornadog
17-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Don't get me wrong, Smorgon has been great for the club, taking over during a difficult period and stabilised our financial position. After 15 years maybe its time he stepped aside, its a long time.

During the past 15 years there has also been some big negatives and maybe we should have progressed faster than what we have.

* The Rhode decision - what a debacle. We had a great young batch of players and he was a useless coach. Who knows what could have been achieved during that period.

* Not standing up to the AFL and just being allowed to be pushed around. Examples are the stadium deal at docklands. The club allowed the AFL to negotiate the deal and we got the biggest raw deal of all time. Blokes like Kennett - love him or hate him he doesn't take any shit from anyone and doesn't let the AFL push Hawthorn around. Look at the Tassie deal, wow the dollars from that have made the Hawks one of the richest clubs. When we wanted to do a special deal with the NT government for big bucks, the AFL said no. Smorgon should have been tougher.

* TV deals and block buster games - again we have been pushed around by the AFL and we just don't stand up for our rights.

* Big mouthing about the Grand Final

* I have heard from many sources he doesn't put much money into the club (even Aker said that today). I know he doesn't have to but you would expect a millionaire President to do something for the club. He was supposed to bring in business connections to help out, has he done that?

Finally, the decision today and the debacle this season about Rocket's coaching future. Handled very badly, should have been nipped in the bud early but all we get every week is speculation in the media. Surely this has influenced the playing group.

Anyway you may agree or disagree, but if Rockets time is up so is Smorgons and maybe the board.

choconmientay
17-08-2011, 03:38 PM
To made Eade solely responsible for the failure of this season is plainly wrong. He should take a lot of responsibility for that as well. Yeah, why stop if we are doing a clean up and start a-fresh. We could also sack Fantasia, Garlick and get a new management team to plan for the next decade. (may be i shouldn't speak with the anger still inside of me)

LongWait
17-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I know you love Rocket BAD, as many on here do, but calling for Smorgon's head is an emotional rather than rational response imho. Rockets' time was up and the decision not to renew his contract was reasonable.

bornadog
17-08-2011, 03:56 PM
I know you love Rocket BAD, as many on here do, but calling for Smorgon's head is an emotional rather than rational response imho. Rockets' time was up and the decision not to renew his contract was reasonable.

I can accept what you say about Rocket and my love for him. I thought Rocket was the best option going forward and I will declare I met up with him a couple of times a year over the past 3 or so years with a few other woofers for dinner, but the post I have made is not an emotional one.

I have heard from a very good source that the Dimma lead coup is a possibility and the person who wants to take over as President( not Dimma) will come in and wipe the debts as his first act.

Anyway maybe we need a fresh start and maybe now is the time. We are so far behind other clubs in a number of areas.

* No List Manager
* Lack of asisstants and recruiters in the field
* Lack of Physios and personnel to help recovery
* Beautiful new buildings but lack of exercise and other equipement
* as well as all the pints made above during Smorgons time.

Its time:)

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, Smorgon has been great for the club, taking over during a difficult period and stabilised our financial position. After 15 years maybe its time he stepped aside, its a long time.

* I have heard from many sources he doesn't put much money into the club (even Aker said that today). I know he doesn't have to but you would expect a millionaire President to do something for the club. He was supposed to bring in business connections to help out, has he done that?

This is my big one. Eddie, Kennett and Frank Costa (to name a few) would have had the connections and done this. Has David? This club needs strong business allies as a core structure to it's financial future.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 03:58 PM
* The Rhode decision - what a debacle. We had a great young batch of players and he was a useless coach. Who knows what could have been achieved during that period.

Horrible coach yes, but this was as much a commercial decision as it was a coaching one, we also then didn't have to deliberately tank.

* Not standing up to the AFL and just being allowed to be pushed around. Examples are the stadium deal at docklands. The club allowed the AFL to negotiate the deal and we got the biggest raw deal of all time. Blokes like Kennett - love him or hate him he doesn't take any shit from anyone and doesn't let the AFL push Hawthorn around. Look at the Tassie deal, wow the dollars from that have made the Hawks one of the richest clubs. When we wanted to do a special deal with the NT government for big bucks, the AFL said no. Smorgon should have been tougher.

shit deal yeah, but at the time we were not getting the numbers at our matches and a fixed return above our average numbers seemed like a good deal, just lacked foresight.

* TV deals and block buster games - again we have been pushed around by the AFL and we just don't stand up for our rights.

Not sure on what you think we missed out on here?.

* Big mouthing about the Grand Final

Everyone needs a target(pass mark). Asking for anything less would be laughable

Smorgon is not a benevolent society, look what happened when Gutnick tipped his millions into the club.

He should be judged purely on his merits and to to suggest that he should be dipping into his own purse to support the club is unfair.

Finally, the decision today and the debacle this season about Rocket's coaching future. Handled very badly, should have been nipped in the bud early but all we get every week is speculation in the media. Surely this has influenced the playing group.

Anyway you may agree or disagree, but if Rockets time is up so is Smorgons and maybe the board.

The club had always advised that it would be making the decision at the end of the year and regardless of whether it was/is the right decision, the fact that we brought it forward is of benefit to both Rodney and the Club.

Sockeye Salmon
17-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I will always appreciate what David Smorgon has done for our football club but this is the worst decision he has made in his time.

This is the first time I have considered that David is no longer the right person for the job.

bornadog
17-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I will always appreciate what David Smorgon has done for our football club but this is the worst decision he has made in his time.

This is the first time I have considered that David is no longer the right person for the job.

Great minds think alike. Time to question all his decisions now.

We need to take the next step...... David helped the club take the next step from 1996, but now the next step is higher.

The Coon Dog
17-08-2011, 04:16 PM

That's exactly how I feel too SS.

Bulldog4life
17-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Agree 100% with this too.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-08-2011, 04:32 PM

expressed my sentiments exactly.
I'm not averse to tough decisions being made, such as changing a coach. However the job to boot Eade seems to me to be a decision made more for wanting to be seen to be making a tough decison than actually making a tough decision.
When you consider the resources or lack thereof around Eade, you wonder how just changing the coach is going to magically correct this.

When you then factor in Smorgon's statement about a refresh as opposed to a rebuild. it has made me question whether he is losing it, or does he think we the members are stupid and will swallow that horseshit?

bornadog
17-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Horrible coach yes, but this was as much a commercial decision as it was a coaching one, we also then didn't have to deliberately tank.

Wrong Decision, we exist to play footy not make profits

shit deal yeah, but at the time we were not getting the numbers at our matches and a fixed return above our average numbers seemed like a good deal, just lacked foresight.

Cannot justify the deal, it was wrong. We should have stood our ground but we just got pushed around by the AFL

Not sure on what you think we missed out on here?.

Block buster games against the big clubs. We have been very competitive in Rockets time and have never pushed to play some big games at the G and make some big dollars.

Everyone needs a target(pass mark). Asking for anything less would be laughable

Well keep it internal and not put pressure on the club through the media

SmorgOn is not a benevolent society, look what happened when Gutnick tipped his millions into the club. He should be judged purely on his merits and to to suggest that he should be dipping into his own purse to support the club is unfair.

Well why be President if you bring nothing to the table? Maybe be unfair but either you put money in or get others to. Kennett got the Tassie Government to give them what $10 million or so.

The club had always advised that it would be making the decision at the end of the year and regardless of whether it was/is the right decision, the fact that we brought it forward is of benefit to both Rodney and the Club.

Thats fine but the whole season all we have heard about is whether Eade is the man or not, this happens when you are losing. This surely effects the playing group.

GVGjr
17-08-2011, 05:31 PM
BAD, can I ask what the catalyst is for this very damning assessment?
I'm very interested in the timing of your declaration.

From memory you have heaped praise on Smorgon for a long time.

bornadog
17-08-2011, 05:43 PM
BAD, can I ask what the catalyst is for this very damning assessment?
I'm very interested in the timing of your declaration.

From memory you have heaped praise on Smorgon for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I think Smorgon overall has done a great job for the club. Gordon had taken us as far as he could and I think Smorgon has also taken us as far as he can and maybe its time for new blood.

The Catalyst is this years performance, and the frustration of not getting into a Grand Final since 1961. Sometimes you have to work from the top down and maybe its time.

Do you agree with my assessment? I have never been happy with some of the things I mentioned in my op, especially the deals at Eithad. You know in 2008 and 2009 we had the best average crowds at Eithad, that includes Saints and Essendon and we got nothing out of it. One of those games we topped over 51,000 attendance against Collingwood, only to receive - what $150,000 or so.

I see guys like Eddie and Kennett really stick up for their club, even North, but we just lay down when the AFL tells us to because we have an inferiority complex.

Dogmatic
17-08-2011, 05:52 PM
I think smorgon was un-opposed at the last election. Does anybody want to take over the presidency?

anfo27
17-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I know Smorgan has made an unpopular decision but I think we are oing a bit overboard here. I like to see Smorgan stay but I have little knowledge on the quality of Davids work around the club.

Everyone loves Eade and thats fine but why shouldn't he be made accountable for what this club has produced? everyone points to injuries and i've heard that word used so many times but surely we are all naive if we think that is the only reason we are where we are.

Maddog37
17-08-2011, 06:21 PM
I think that until a viable and forthright alternative is available, any talk of booting Smorgan is worthless.

Changing coach and president at the same time might destabilize the club IMO. I would prefer to see who is appointed and if they turn out poorly over the next two years then bye bye Smorgo.

bornadog
17-08-2011, 06:22 PM
I think that until a viable and forthright alternative is available, any talk of booting Smorgan is worthless.

Changing coach and president at the same time might destabilize the club IMO. I would prefer to see who is appointed and if they turn out poorly over the next two years then bye bye Smorgo.

I know for a fact that Smorgon would be happy for someone to take over if it was the right person.

ReLoad
17-08-2011, 06:28 PM
This is just crazy talk, seriously, lets not eat our own.

Smorgo has been the core of this club for a very long time, He has the best interests of our club at heart, he bleeds the same coloured blood as all of us.

To think that he has made a poor decision is ill informed and not taking into consideration all of the facts. Rocket presented to Smorgo and all the other O's over the last couple of weeks, What if it was a delirious presentation? I'm not saying it was but do we have the all the facts? No.

Wanting to oust one of our clubs true champions, ill ill timed and ill advised.

Lock this thread before some schnapperhead in the media thinks there is groundswell support for this kind of nonsense.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I know Smorgan has made an unpopular decision but I think we are oing a bit overboard here. I like to see Smorgan stay but I have little knowledge on the quality of Davids work around the club.

Everyone loves Eade and thats fine but why shouldn't he be made accountable for what this club has produced? everyone points to injuries and i've heard that word used so many times but surely we are all naive if we think that is the only reason we are where we are.

Absolutely true , if he's the problem.
But I have concerns when the panel commissioned to evaluate his performance and possible contract extension/termination includes someone who should also be evaluated as to their part in bringing about our current on field problems. James Fantasia should not have been part of that process, he should have been along with Rocket part of their process as to what's going on with our performance.

Dry Rot
17-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Absolutely true , if he's the problem.
But I have concerns when the panel commissioned to evaluate his performance and possible contract extension/termination includes someone who should also be evaluated as to their part in bringing about our current on field problems. James Fantasia should not have been part of that process, he should have been along with Rocket part of their process as to what's going on with our performance.

Agree with this. Glad that Rocket is going, but Fantasia should be too.

Mantis
17-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Agree with this. Glad that Rocket is going, but Fantasia should be too.

Smorgon said that Fantasia will be part of the selection process for the hiring of the new coach so this doesn't seem likley.

bornadog
17-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Smorgon said that Fantasia will be part of the selection process for the hiring of the new coach so this doesn't seem likley.

He also said on SEN that the football department will be reviewed at the end of the year.

GVGjr
17-08-2011, 06:57 PM
The Catalyst is this years performance, and the frustration of not getting into a Grand Final since 1961. Sometimes you have to work from the top down and maybe its time.

Do you agree with my assessment? I have never been happy with some of the things I mentioned in my op, especially the deals at Eithad. You know in 2008 and 2009 we had the best average crowds at Eithad, that includes Saints and Essendon and we got nothing out of it. One of those games we topped over 51,000 attendance against Collingwood, only to receive - what $150,000 or so.

I see guys like Eddie and Kennett really stick up for their club, even North, but we just lay down when the AFL tells us to because we have an inferiority complex.

I'm not sure I agree that not getting into the GF since 61 and our poor performance this year really was the catalyst for the thread. If the cards had fallen differently today you might have actually started one praising Smorgon.

Never the less, I don't disagree too much with what you have written although we have had a long tradition of asking coaches to perform miracles without giving them sufficient support. Both Wallace and Rohde weren't given the right support to succeed and they typically cop heaps. We should all remember that some worked with 92.5% salary cap, poor gym, no rookies, part timers in charge of the VFL sides and just 2 assistant coaches etc. Things have changed substantially but the reality is more support was needed.

But lets get on to today's events, I cannot see how the coaching position could be determined without a comprehensive review of what the footy department will look like going forward. It's this point that I'm most frustrated with in today's announcement about Eade.
Given the right support, and I have already written about what we needed, I think Eade could have gone on for at least another 2 years.

To me we didn't have the right people making the decision, I actually wrote about this very thing last night, and I think they have confused the very task they were assigned to do.
- Identify the strength of the playing group
- Work out what was needed going forward and if they could put that in place
- Determine if Eade was the right man

How they have made that decision isn't clear so I think they have got it very wrong.

Smorgon has done a lot of great things and has missed a few as well. Overall he has been great for the club but on face value right at this moment he seems to have made the wrong call.

Sockeye Salmon
17-08-2011, 07:09 PM
The Herald-Sun think Fantasia was holding the knife

GVGjr
17-08-2011, 07:11 PM

Link?

LongWait
17-08-2011, 07:25 PM

Perhaps Eade was holding the knife - he was the person who delivered the ultimatum and forced the club's hand after all...

Sedat
17-08-2011, 07:30 PM
But lets get on to today's events, I cannot see how the coaching position could be determined without a comprehensive review of what the footy department will look live going forward. It's this point that I'm most frustrated with in today's announcement about Eade.
Given the right support, and I have already written about what we needed, I think Eade could have gone on for at least another 2 years.

To me we didn't have the right people making the decision, I actually wrote about this very thing last night, and I think they have confused the very task they were assigned to do.
- Identify the strength of the playing group
- Work out what was needed going forward and if they could put that in place
- Determine if Eade was the right man

How they have made that decision isn't clear so I think they have got it very wrong.

Smorgon has done a lot of great things and has missed a few as well. Overall he has been great for the club but on face value right at this moment he seems to have made the wrong call.
Spot on GVGjr. All season we've heard Garlick ad nauseum on radio and in the media about the club going through a thorough process at the completion of the season and respecting the process. Now we have a complete and utter about-face, with 'the process' having not even begun and with the season still 3 weeks shy of completion.

The 4 man selection committee have actually disregarded the parameters they themselves set in relation to the review of football operations. Complete and utter shambles and unfortunately our president and CEO need to share the blame.

LongWait
17-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Spot on GVGjr. All season we've heard Garlick ad nauseum on radio and in the media about going through a thorough process at the completion of the season and respecting the process. Now we have a complete and utter about-face, with 'the process' having not even begun and with the season still 3 weeks shy of completion.

The 4 man selection committee have gone way and above their station anf have actually disregarded the parameters they themselves set at the start of the season. Our president and CEO should hang their heads in shame at their conduct.

Eade's management demanded that the club either back or sack Eade immediately. What was the club supposed to do - cave in and abandon the review process because Eade's manager held a gun to their heads?

ReLoad
17-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Now we have a complete and utter about-face, with 'the process' having not even begun and with the season still 3 weeks shy of completion.

Rodney Eade and his management are the ones that brought it forward, not Garlic or the club AFAIK.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Brought forward? There are 3 games left and no chance of finals. What was he suppose to do wait til the end of season, get the sack then and miss out on other jobs cos he waited. The club had all year to make this decision and Eade stated all year he wanted to stay.

GVGjr
17-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Eade's management demanded that the club either back or sack Eade immediately. What was the club supposed to do - cave in and abandon the review process because Eade's manager held a gun to their heads?

They requested a quick decision not demanded it and the committee accommodated it.
However, if the request would compromise the review the committee had an obligation to stick to their original plans for the review.

They have, as they suggested, made the decision without linking it to the more comprehensive review and I'd be interested in why they ultimately wanted to go in a 'fresh direction'.

Time will tell if they have got it right but I don't believe we had the right people in the drivers seat.

Sedat
17-08-2011, 07:52 PM
Do you know this for fact? Requesting something and demanding something are two completely different things. All season our CEO has stated that the process won't formally start until the completion of the season, with a full review to then be conducted. Now we have a situation whereby our senior coach is gone before this thorough review has even commenced. How thorough can it possibly be when the senior coach for the season is not even a part of it?

I would have expected Garlick to tell Mullins to cool his heels for another 3 weeks, seeing as they were the precise parameters set out by our CEO in the first place. If then the request was demanded then the onus would have been on Rocket and his management to initiate something else.

GVGjr
17-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Do you know this for fact? Requesting something and demanding something are two completely different things. All season our CEO has stated that the process won't formally start until the completion of the season, with a full review to then be conducted. Now we have a situation whereby our senior coach is gone before this thorough review has even commenced. How thorough can it possibly be when the senior coach for the season is not even a part of it?

I would have expected Garlick to tell Mullins to cool his heels for another 3 weeks, seeing as they were the precise parameters set out by our CEO in the first place. If then the request was demanded then the onus would have been on Rocket and his management to initiate something else.

Good call Sedat, Looks like we have very similar opinions on this.

LongWait
17-08-2011, 07:56 PM
They requested a quick decision not demanded it and the committee accommodated it.
However, if the request would compromise the review the committee had an obligation to stick to their original plans for the review.

They have, as they suggested, made the decision without linking it to the more comprehensive review and I'd be interested in why they ultimately wanted to go in a 'fresh direction'.

Time will tell if they have got it right but I don't believe we had the right people in the drivers seat.

In my view Eade's manager overplayed his hand. Dress it up however you like, but Eade obviously felt in a strong position and tried to force the club's decision. I'm glad the club didn't buckle.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 08:00 PM
In my view Eade's manager overplayed his hand. Dress it up however you like, but Eade obviously felt in a strong position and tried to force the club's decision. I'm glad the club didn't buckle.

Comedy thread now?

LongWait
17-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Comedy thread now?

Because my views don't conform to yours they are humourous - is that your point?

GVGjr
17-08-2011, 08:04 PM

I think you are missing the point I'm trying to make.
The committee wanted to perform a more comprehensive review and the logical process is to assess the list, work out what was needed in the footy department going forward and then to determine if Eade was the right person. How did they get to number 3 when they have confirmed they haven't reviewed the other area's?

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Because my views don't conform to yours they are humourous - is that your point?

No cos the club did exactly the opposite of what you said and buckle.

LongWait
17-08-2011, 08:06 PM

You'll have to explain your point to me - I have no idea what you mean.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 08:08 PM
You'll have to explain your point to me - I have no idea what you mean.

The point has been explained already by sedat and gvgjr

GVGjr
17-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Guys lets get it back on track please.

comrade
17-08-2011, 08:25 PM
expressed my sentiments exactly.
I'm not averse to tough decisions being made, such as changing a coach. However the job to boot Eade seems to me to be a decision made more for wanting to be seen to be making a tough decison than actually making a tough decision.
When you consider the resources or lack thereof around Eade, you wonder how just changing the coach is going to magically correct this.

When you then factor in Smorgon's statement about a refresh as opposed to a rebuild. it has made me question whether he is losing it, or does he think we the members are stupid and will swallow that horseshit?

Sacking Eade wasn't making the tough decision. Backing him in would have been the tough decision.

They went with the easy option, and in my opinion, the wrong one.

Adelaide and Melbourne must be pissing themselves at our stupidity.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Sacking Eade wasn't making the tough decision. Backing him in would have been the tough decision.

That's pretty much what I said comrade.

"However the job to boot Eade seems to me to be a decision made more for wanting to be seen to be making a tough decison than actually making a tough decision."

Sedat
17-08-2011, 08:38 PM

"However the job to boot Eade seems to me to be a decision made more for wanting to be seen to be making a tough decison than actually making a tough decision."
Faux tough is not tough, no matter how many heapings of spin you serve with it.

comrade
17-08-2011, 08:40 PM

Yep, and I agree with you.

Ghost Dog
17-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Me too. Which coach out there is better than Eade and available?
Bomber Thompson had low patches, so did all the other top coaches.
Just don't see the sense in it unless we have a better alternative.

Bloody hell, even Voss got another contract.

I just hated seeing Rocket sit there in that press conference, with that expression on his face. Hard to swallow

chef
17-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Time for Smorgo to step down, not IMO. Yet to be seen whether todays decision was wrong and we won't know the answer of this for a number of years.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2011, 12:25 AM

This.

I agree with BAD's original post.

Time to clean the entire club out.

In disbelief Fantasia was on the selection process and is likely to keep his job.

Unless we get Malthouse, I'll be very angry.

I'll think about writing a letter to the club, airing my concerns.

bornadog
18-08-2011, 12:30 AM
This.

I agree with BAD's original post.

Time to clean the entire club out.

In disbelief Fantasia was on the selection process and is likely to keep his job.

Unless we get Malthouse, I'll be very angry.

I'll think about writing a letter to the club, airing my concerns.

See this: Paul Dimattina calls for Bulldogs president David Smorgon to go (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/paul-dimattina-calls-for-bulldogs-president-david-smorgon-to-go/story-e6frf9jf-1226117026606)

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2011, 01:16 AM
See this: Paul Dimattina calls for Bulldogs president David Smorgon to go (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/paul-dimattina-calls-for-bulldogs-president-david-smorgon-to-go/story-e6frf9jf-1226117026606)

Agree with him, aside from the part about Cameron.

It just doesn't look like we're capable of making the correct decisions at the moment. Hopefully we're wrong.

Dancin' Douggy
18-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Boy, Aker will be LOVING this.

Curly5
18-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Well, let's see if either of them sign him as senior coach. 24 hours ago I felt as bad as anyone posting here. As a person Rocket was extremely popular among the fans. Although many have criticised him, especially over the last 2 seasons, so doubts have been there.

Much as I hate to say it I think the right thing has been done. And I don't think Smorgon needs to go yet. We'll appoint a coach - it'll be a young one - and a few more changes will happen, that need to.

This nonsense about Dimattina and a "mystery benefactor" is just rubbish. If he's a true Bulldogs supporter with wealth to spare he should just contribute without the self-interest angle. Get onto the board, see how the club is run, earn your stripes. We hate GWS buying Ward, I'd hate a president-dictator buying his way into power at our club.

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 02:24 PM

No the club did the honourable thing and informed Eade of its decision earlier than it would have liked in respect of Eade and his future.

Its fairly clear that the club was more likley than not to renew his contract and when asked by his management to bring our decision forward (presumably in light of the numerous vacant positions at other clubs) we did so with the view that it was the right thing to do by Rodney, not necessarily the club.

If you view this as buckling on our stated process, then your view is correct but misguided in its interpretation IMHO.

w3design
18-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I have reservations about Smorgon's handling of the coaching issue and wonder if it reflects fatigue in the role. However, a bit like Rocket's tenure..who is there that is genuinely better? Not impressed with Dimattina's approach at all so far. What is he actually offering apart from sticking the boots in at a low point for the club.

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 02:58 PM
No the club did the honourable thing and informed Eade of its decision earlier than it would have liked in respect of Eade and his future.

Its fairly clear that the club was more likley than not to renew his contract and when asked by his management to bring our decision forward (presumably in light of the numerous vacant positions at other clubs) we did so with the view that it was the right thing to do by Rodney, not necessarily the club.

If you view this as buckling on our stated process, then your view is correct but misguided in its interpretation IMHO.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Forgive my scepticism but who is this mysterious millionaire who is going to walk in and pay our debts?

BulldogBelle
18-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote from Dimma

"Essendon has three or four people under (recruiting boss) Adrian Dodoro and we have one under Simon Dalrymple. We are not spending enough money and falling behind."

We have been behind most clubs for our entire existence in terms of spending money - and with our smaller supporter base its going to be tough to turn that around

I would be more inclined to support Dimma if he proposed solutions, rather than simply proposing problems

Not sure who or why all of these mystery millionares would suddently start to tip in simply if Dimma became president...

A coach and a president in 1 year, that would be very destabalising

SlimPickens
18-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Think smorgan has stated many times with Dimma, "put up or shut up". Really disappointed if Dimma is in a sense holding the club at ransom.

Be part of the solution Dimma, taking pot shots at the clubs board is not the answer. That's more of Aker go!

Greystache
18-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Think smorgan has stated many times with Dimma, "put up or shut up". Really disappointed if Dimma is in a sense holding the club at ransom.

Be part of the solution Dimma, taking pot shots at the clubs board is not the answer. That's more of Aker go!

Spot on.

Sounds like that bloke who was making big noise at Richmond 2 years ago, claiming he'd put up the cash to pay out the contract if they sacked Wallace, except when the club said they'd look at the offer he quickly backed down.

What was his surname?... Oh that's right, Dimattina.

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 08:58 PM

I'am also disappointed in Dimma, as Smorgan has said before, put up or shut up !
Correct me if I'am wrong, didn't Dimma earlier in the season say he also had a coach in mind.
Now he is having a go at Smorgan for sacking Rocket !
These calls to get rid of Smorgan are pointless unless there is someone out there who is BETTER !
Which by he way is the same view I had about replacing Rocket.

ledge
20-08-2011, 12:38 AM
One thing I dont agree with what the prez said is we dont have anyone in mind yet.
You wouldnt sack someone unless you knew you had better.

Dry Rot
20-08-2011, 12:56 AM
What are the reasonable criteria for a club president?

chef
20-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I'am also disappointed in Dimma, as Smorgan has said before, put up or shut up !Correct me if I'am wrong, didn't Dimma earlier in the season say he also had a coach in mind.
Now he is having a go at Smorgan for sacking Rocket !
These calls to get rid of Smorgan are pointless unless there is someone out there who is BETTER !
Which by he way is the same view I had about replacing Rocket.

Maybe Dimma is waiting for Smorgons term to finish before he 'puts up'. That would be the respectful thing to do.

chef
20-08-2011, 08:16 AM
One thing I dont agree with what the prez said is we dont have anyone in mind yet.
You wouldnt sack someone unless you knew you had better.

I am sure they would have a few in mind, but aren't willing to put the cards on the table yet as they would be involved with other clubs who will be playing finals.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-08-2011, 02:03 PM

I agree with your sentiments. The position of a Director of Football on the Board which is now about to be made would have helped. We have been left with a Board without any football background. This new appointment will be critical in the search for the best available coach.

LostDoggy
22-08-2011, 04:01 PM

I think you are missing the point I'm trying to make.
The committee wanted to perform a more comprehensive review and the logical process is to assess the list, work out what was needed in the footy department going forward and then to determine if Eade was the right person. How did they get to number 3 when they have confirmed they haven't reviewed the other area's?

Assuming that Rocket (or his manager) did indeed press the club for a decision, what interests me the most is that they made it at his request. Let's say they sat around the boardroom table, and discussed Rocket's future. If he's on the outer in their minds, why accommodate his request? I mean, who cares if he goes and signs with Adelaide if the general feeling is that we need change anyway? Unless they wanted to keep him, there's no reasonable explanation for bringing it forward.

Disregarding whether the decision to sack him was the right call or not, I believe they definitely made the wrong call in bringing that “review” forward. They succumbed to media and supporter pressure, perceived or otherwise, pure and simple.

Not a great look for the leadership of the club with “Yield To None” as our motto.

I am sure they would have a few in mind, but aren't willing to put the cards on the table yet as they would be involved with other clubs who will be playing finals.

Agree. I reckon we'll know in early October.

Topdog
22-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Maybe Dimma is waiting for Smorgons term to finish before he 'puts up'. That would be the respectful thing to do.

No this is not the respectful way. Smorgo has said numerous times that if someone puts up money to help the club he will gladly walk away. Helping the club immediately is respectful. Not attaching conditions to money is respectful. The campaign by Dimma has been anything but.

Greystache
22-08-2011, 04:29 PM
No this is not the respectful way. Smorgo has said numerous times that if someone puts up money to help the club he will gladly walk away. Helping the club immediately is respectful. Not attaching conditions to money is respectful. The campaign by Dimma has been anything but.

Agreed.

The only thing Dimattina has achieved so far is huge amounts of free publicity for himself. Put up or piss off Dima.

Ghost Dog
22-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Well, the thing is, it's not even a campaign. He keeps claiming no interest in being top dog ( the OTHER 'top dog' TOPDOG ^_^ )
Gets extra media mileage through pure speculation. Smorgo's bluster does irk me some times, and I'm not happy about dropping the rocket without so much as a farewell. However, Smorgo is a champion of the club and demands a bit more respect from Dimma perhaps.

azabob
22-08-2011, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=BornAScragger;235192

Agree. I reckon we'll know in early October.[/QUOTE]

Disagree, interviewing for the job should happen as a matter of urgency. We cannot allow other clubs to get a leg up on us.

FrediKanoute
24-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Isn't that what they did? Rather than say to Eade that they woudl review all at the end of the season, they said sorry can't back you we wont renew the contract. They pannicked. Rather than stay the course, complete the review, determine where the problem really was they shot the messenger and then tried to dress it up as due process.

Put simply its a farce. If they had stayed the course the ball woudl have been back in Eade's court. He could have jumped ship and chased job security else where or he could have helpd out for the results of the review. Either way the key decision makers in the club wouldn't have looked like a complete buch of amatuers.

LongWait
24-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Isn't that what they did? Rather than say to Eade that they woudl review all at the end of the season, they said sorry can't back you we wont renew the contract. They pannicked. Rather than stay the course, complete the review, determine where the problem really was they shot the messenger and then tried to dress it up as due process.

Put simply its a farce. If they had stayed the course the ball woudl have been back in Eade's court. He could have jumped ship and chased job security else where or he could have helpd out for the results of the review. Either way the key decision makers in the club wouldn't have looked like a complete buch of amatuers.

I couldn't disagree more strongly - Eade blew it by trying to rush the process and the only chance he had of being reappointed went out the door.

Maddog37
24-08-2011, 10:09 AM

Is that you Dimma?

1eyedog
24-08-2011, 05:08 PM

Sorry, I fail to see the difference between the two in your arguement.

1eyedog
24-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Me too. Which coach out there is better than Eade and available?
Bomber Thompson had low patches, so did all the other top coaches.
Just don't see the sense in it unless we have a better alternative.

Bloody hell, even Voss got another contract.

I just hated seeing Rocket sit there in that press conference, with that expression on his face. Hard to swallow

I think the task now is to choose the one that has the most potential to be better than Eade.

That's what a refresh is all about.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I think the task now is to choose the one that has the most potential to be better than Eade.

That's what a refresh is all about.

I see your point, but If you had to choose between a quality coach and a coach with potential, who would you choose? The only reason we would choose a potential coach is if we couldn't get the best coach available.
Anyway 1 eye, who is your frontrunner for the position?

Desipura
25-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Or we could choose a coach that has the most potential with experienced assistants, similar to Essendon

GVGjr
25-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Or we could choose a coach that has the most potential with experienced assistants, similar to Essendon

It's a good suggestion but we probably don't have the finances to do it.

Desipura
25-08-2011, 09:39 AM
It's a good suggestion but we probably don't have the finances to do it.

How much would a Neeld request?
The Assistant could be anyone from a Neil Craig or a Dean Laidley as an example.

GVGjr
25-08-2011, 12:27 PM
How much would a Neeld request?
The Assistant could be anyone from a Neil Craig or a Dean Laidley as an example.

Sorry, I thought you meant senior assistants not senior assistant. Sounds OK if it's just one.

bornadog
26-06-2012, 02:07 PM
don't get me wrong, smorgon has been great for the club, taking over during a difficult period and stabilised our financial position. After 15 years maybe its time he stepped aside, its a long time..

bump

LostDoggy
26-06-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm wondering if the Smorgon cupboard of ideas is now bare? Has been absoultely fantastic for the club but if the fire has gone out it might be time to hand over the mantle.

whythelongface
26-06-2012, 02:11 PM
What are our options for a likely replacement?

Is the Dimma consortium still a possibility? I have read that Grant could be an option, is he even interested?

whythelongface
26-06-2012, 02:13 PM
BTW I agree that it is time for a change. With all due respect to Smorgo, who has done a fantastic job over the years, the club does need new leadership to provide it with new direction. A new set of ideas. Just like in the business world a leader can become stale and bereft of ideas after holding a key position for a number of years.

LostDoggy
26-06-2012, 02:19 PM
If the Smorgon is out of ideas then anyone with 1 could do better.
Agree he has been great but it 15 years, still no premiership and treading water.

Maddog37
26-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Chris Grant reeks of president material. Just watched the Open Mike interview and was very impressed with his honesty and dipomacy.

Scraggers
26-06-2012, 05:21 PM
If the Smorgon is out of ideas then anyone with 1 could do better.
Agree he has been great but it 15 years, still no premiership and treading water.

Agree with the first bolded section, disagree with the second. We were trading water (both on and off the field) 2 years ago with our umpteenth Prelim appearance in 20 years ... we are now going backwards at an alarming rate.

Eastdog
26-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Agree with the first bolded section, disagree with the second. We were trading water (both on and off the field) 2 years ago with our umpteenth Prelim appearance in 20 years ... we are now going backwards at an alarming rate.

Wouldn't you say though Scraggers that we are in I don't like saying it again a "rebuilding phase" with our team. St Kilda also were up there with us and challenging but didn't win anything. 2008 and 2009 we could of won those prelims. 2010 we looked really bad in that final series and starting going down from there.

Remi Moses
26-06-2012, 05:38 PM
The difference with Stkilda and us is there decent is going to take longer.
They have better senior players than us, hence why they're hanging on .
I think it's time for a change and had said so previously, bloodless coup thanks.

w3design
26-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Have the greatest respect for Smorgo and all he has done for the club.

I have always admired Chris G., and think he would be a wonderful figure head in the right circumstances.

BUT. And it is a huge one.

We just, and repeatedly, get screwed by the AF [bloody]L, and like a lot of others, I think it is time we stood up to them, and started screaming..."This just has to damn-well stop...YESTERDAY!!"

Seems to me what we need at the top is a bit of a [ pit] Bulldog Sh1t stirrer, who will stand up, flick the bird at Andrew D. and company, and demand...Ok, now its our bloody turn..give us a break.
Proper compensation for player losses, an acceptable and workable stadium deal, better draw, etc., etc., etc.

Remi Moses
26-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Wouldn't you say though Scraggers that we are in I don't like saying it again a "rebuilding phase" with our team. St Kilda also were up there with us and challenging but didn't win anything. 2008 and 2009 we could of won those prelims. 2010 we looked really bad in that final series and starting going down from there.

In fairness the 2010 team was pretty busted up and did well to hang in for as long as they did.

Remi Moses
26-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Have the greatest respect for Smorgo and all he has done for the club.

I have always admired Chris G., and think he would be a wonderful figure head in the right circumstances.

BUT. And it is a huge one.

We just, and repeatedly, get screwed by the AF [bloody]L, and like a lot of others, I think it is time we stood up to them, and started screaming..."This just has to damn-well stop...YESTERDAY!!"

Seems to me what we need at the top is a bit of a [ pit] Bulldog Sh1t stirrer, who will stand up, flick the bird at Andrew D. and company, and demand...Ok, now its our bloody turn..give us a break.
Proper compensation for player losses, an acceptable and workable stadium deal, better draw, etc., etc., etc.

Couldn't agree more! We've become to submissive and mellow.
I get the Minson stuff, but the "tough talk" with the ward Compo and then they carried on like scolded school kids. Surrended meekly

Eastdog
26-06-2012, 05:50 PM
In fairness the 2010 team was pretty busted up and did well to hang in for as long as they did.

We had a lot of injuries going into that 2010 final series and he showed up. I think if we can draft well and develop these draftees which is most important hopefully will move up the ladder again.

firstdogonthemoon
26-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Nice bump bornadog. I think Smorgon has been fantastic - however I think he retains his siege mentality. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but I think it is time for someone who hasn't had to fight for the life of the club, it is time for someone who can stand on Smorgon's shoulders - and run the club the way it needs to be run in 2012. 15 years is a long time to be doing anything.

SonofScray
27-06-2012, 12:05 AM
It is time, no doubt. I think Smorgo flagged it last year in the media that this was his last stint.

He did a great job to drag us from the doldrums and eventually get things working well with Rose and the succession of Garlick etc. The 'thriving' side to his 'saviour' narrative has never taken off though. We haven't come on in leaps and bounds as a brand. IMO we've actually started to slip a bit.

LostDoggy
27-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Chris Grant reeks of president material. Just watched the Open Mike interview and was very impressed with his honesty and dipomacy.

Wasn't Chris great, we already knew what a top geniune hinest bloke he was. This nterview just confirmed it, great viewing.

westdog54
27-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Nice bump bornadog. I think Smorgon has been fantastic - however I think he retains his siege mentality. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but I think it is time for someone who hasn't had to fight for the life of the club, it is time for someone who can stand on Smorgon's shoulders - and run the club the way it needs to be run in 2012. 15 years is a long time to be doing anything.

Interesting take. I think that perhaps Peter Gordon was hamstrung by the same scenario, it just so happens that Smorgon has served almost an extra decade as President.

I'm not sure the time is right now for Chris Grant to become President but I would dearly love to see it someday.

Smorgon took over at a very difficult time and the club has had some success in his time but I think we have reached a point as a club where we are again starting to fall behind and some fresh ideas are needed. Where they will come from I don't know. After the media circus last year I'd think that Paul Dimmatina isn't interested. Susan Alberti has been a fantastic clubperson but would she be more of the same? I suppose there's only one way to find out...

Scraggers
27-06-2012, 03:37 AM

Not according to the 'Powers-That-Be' ... In the President's address before the game against Freo (last round, last year) we were told that there was no need to rebuild, just refocus.

We've done so much refocussing this year, we need bi-focals.

chef
27-06-2012, 08:26 AM

What his business sense like?

Desipura
27-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Have you had a look at the apartments he is building on the Strand at Williamstown?
Its huuuuge, I dont think his business sense will be a problem if that is anything to go by.

chef
27-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Have you had a look at the apartments he is building on the Strand at Williamstown?
Its huuuuge, I dont think his business sense will be a problem if that is anything to go by.

How is he at running multi million dollar businesses?

He would need a great number 2 behind him. Maybe we should see what Eugene Arocca is up to.

Desipura
27-06-2012, 09:08 AM

He would need a great number 2 behind him. Maybe we should see what Eugene Arocca is up to.
Well, this development would be in the multi million bracket.

chef
27-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Well, this development would be in the multi million bracket.

But it's an investment not a business.

Hopefully Dimma can get involved somewhere.

Maddog37
27-06-2012, 11:07 AM

I could not really offer any credible information on that one Chef but assuming he has a good team around him it should not be a major hurdle.

I just feel he would bring some gravitas and strength to the club. If the club has a good leader that people aspire to follow then it must be a genuine benefit.

whythelongface
27-06-2012, 01:18 PM

I think it is more about leadership than having the ability to run a mulit-million dollar business, sure he needs some business nous and the ability to wheel and deal, however ultimately we need a leader that can steer the ship and get things done. Even better would be that someone who leads the club is well respected in the football world. Someone that knows the game back to front.

I can think of no one better than Chris Grant.

As you have stated, as long as he has good support staff who are qualified to run a business (Garlick has an MBA) then they are the ones who can look after the day-to-day running of the club then the President can solely focus on leading the club and be involved in negotiations with AFL and marketing our brand etc etc.

bornadog
27-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I think it is more about leadership than having the ability to run a mulit-million dollar business, sure he needs some business nous and the ability to wheel and deal, however ultimately we need a leader that can steer the ship and get things done. Even better would be that someone who leads the club is well respected in the football world. Someone that knows the game back to front.

I can think of no one better than Chris Grant.

As you have stated, as long as he has good support staff who are qualified to run a business (Garlick has an MBA) then they are the ones who can look after the day-to-day running of the club then the President can solely focus on leading the club and be involved in negotiations with AFL and marketing our brand etc etc.

I agree with all of this except I don't believe Chris has the business contacts to help bring in people who are willing to dip into their pocket. I would have thought Smorgon would be one, but I can't see he has done that. (well not visible to us supporters)

Curly5
27-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I think Susan Alberti should and will be our next President. She is a hugely influential and respected person and is thoroughly prepared to take on the role.

Eastdog
27-06-2012, 02:29 PM
This will never happen but I recall the Virgin owner Richard Branson had a keen interest in our club.

always right
27-06-2012, 03:21 PM
This will never happen but I recall the Virgin owner Richard Branson had a keen interest in our club.

The first he ever heard of us was when Andrew D mentioned we were looking for a sponsor. He had no interest.

chef
27-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I think Susan Alberti should and will be our next President. She is a hugely influential and respected person and is thoroughly prepared to take on the role.

I agree this . i love the sentiment of Grant being our next president ,but i don't think it's very practical

LostDoggy
27-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Name me one successful club with a former champion as a president. I love Grant as much as anyone, but he's not the man for that role.

w3design
27-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I have the greatest respect for the present board and management.

Some one used the term "meek". Perhaps that is not far from the truth.
They do seem to just be a bit to 'nice', on the whole.

At least when he was in charge Cam Rose had more than a dash of mongrel in his make up.

Think from here on we need a bit more bark, and a lot more bite, from the top to the very bottom of the organization.
It is about time we started to do the intimidating, rather than being the ones intimidated.

Maddog37
27-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Name me one successful club with a former champion as a president. I love Grant as much as anyone, but he's not the man for that role.

Kernahan and ummm...........

Eastdog
27-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Being President of a club is a huge responsibility for any individual and you have to get someone who is committed to the job like Smorgon has been with his time with us.

LostDoggy
27-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Ian Collins.
I see no reason why Grant couldn't be a successful president.
If he is good enough why not?

Eastdog
27-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Ian Collins.
I see no reason why Grant couldn't be a successful president.
If he is good enough why not?

Could Grant become president just like that even though this is his first year on the board.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-06-2012, 08:57 PM
I would like to throw in a wildcard in the person of Steve Wallis leaving Chris Grant to continue in the role of Director of Football. This would make a great football combination on the Board. Wallis has outstanding credentials both as a successful businessman and former player.Ideally this would require Wallis spending 18 months on the Board, then taking over from David Smorgon, who intends retiring at the end of the 2013 season. This would be IMO the better option.

GVGjr
27-06-2012, 10:51 PM
I would like to throw in a wildcard in the person of Steve Wallis leaving Chris Grant to continue in the role of Director of Football. This would make a great football combination on the Board. Wallis has outstanding credentials both as a successful businessman and former player.Ideally this would require Wallis spending 18 months on the Board, then taking over from David Smorgon, who intends retiring at the end of the 2013 season. This would be IMO the better option.

Not for me. Wallis is a successful business man but I don't believe the methods he uses is what we need at the top position of the football club. In this case success in one area won't transition to another.

jeemak
28-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Every club has its factions, and each faction has differing influences. The next president of our football club is likely to be nominated by a faction that holds considerable influence over our club.

Can anyone on this forum put some time into identifying these factions, and who is likely to lead them or at least be their figureheads?

WBFC4FFC
29-06-2012, 06:20 PM
I believe Wallis is not keen for an official involvement whilst Mitch (and hopefully his younger brother) are at the Club.