PDA

View Full Version : Bring in the 25m penalty?

The Adelaide Connection
17-08-2011, 11:30 PM
I am usually against all the persistent rule tamperings but on the back of the Hudson "what?" 50m and the numerous other harsh and ridiculous 50 metre penalties would it be worth introducing the 25m penalty?

The 25m works quite well in the SANFL and it would give umpires somewhere to go when it is one of those "two steps over the mark" kinda 50's etc. At the same time it could be another grey area and they might start paying more (not being so put off as it is not such a huge penalty). From memory the 15m was taken away because teams started giving them away purposely to slow down the other team and with the zone setup this could also reoccur.

Ultimately I would rather a little more common sense to prevail (like it seems to on grand final day) but it looks like these often game changing penaties are here to stay. Would it be worth trialling it in a preseason instead of the other nutbag stuff they trial?

AndrewP6
17-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Yes, a trial would be worth doing. But I agree, an ounce of commonsense would be far better (and from those clowns, I'm not optimistic.

Sockeye Salmon
18-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Unfortunately the morons who umpire the game would simply stop giving 50s altogether until the last minute of a close one to get on the telly

Doc26
22-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I am usually against all the persistent rule tamperings but on the back of the Hudson "what?" 50m and the numerous other harsh and ridiculous 50 metre penalties would it be worth introducing the 25m penalty?

The 25m works quite well in the SANFL and it would give umpires somewhere to go when it is one of those "two steps over the mark" kinda 50's etc. At the same time it could be another grey area and they might start paying more (not being so put off as it is not such a huge penalty). From memory the 15m was taken away because teams started giving them away purposely to slow down the other team and with the zone setup this could also reoccur.

Ultimately I would rather a little more common sense to prevail (like it seems to on grand final day) but it looks like these often game changing penaties are here to stay. Would it be worth trialling it in a preseason instead of the other nutbag stuff they trial?

I like the suggestion given a set criteria and given that consistency can be achieved. The 50 metre is often far too harsh for the penalty inflicted. For example, although like most would agree, the Hudson 'What !' 50m penalty the other week was way over the top, I could almost have accepted a 25m.

TAC, how does it work in the SANFL ? Is it simply umpire discretion or do they have set infringements where a 25m would apply in place of a 50m and vice versa ?

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 02:05 PM
25m is a nice compromise between the laxness of the 15 (not far enough) and the ridiculous over-the-top penalty of the 50 (waaay too far). The 50 is such a massive penalty it's essentially similar to a 'penalty kick' in soccer (almost a certain goal) in so many cases, which is just far, far too harsh for some of the things you can get a 50 for (like stepping over the mark, or playing on too early, or STEPPING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE YELLOW INTERCHANGE LINE etc.)

I like it -- just make it 25 and take the 50 out completely.

Throughandthrough
23-08-2011, 03:52 PM
It works really well in the SANFL. 25 m is the norm, 50 for attempted murder. Can spot the Crowzfanboiz yelling out "50" at a Glenelg game.

Or me yelling out "25" last Sunday

The Adelaide Connection
23-08-2011, 10:25 PM
I like the suggestion given a set criteria and given that consistency can be achieved. The 50 metre is often far too harsh for the penalty inflicted. For example, although like most would agree, the Hudson 'What !' 50m penalty the other week was way over the top, I could almost have accepted a 25m.

TAC, how does it work in the SANFL ? Is it simply umpire discretion or do they have set infringements where a 25m would apply in place of a 50m and vice versa ?

As T & T said, 25m is the usual penalty and 50m comes out for really severe stuff. One would, for example, not expect to get 50m paid against him because an opposition player tricks him into throwing the ball to the wrong player (especially when there is a massive break in play anyway and there is going to be no advantage in playing on).

I don't think we need to get rid of the 50m, just reserve it's use for the really late, high hits etc.