18-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Western Bulldogs

B: Easton Wood, Lukas Markovic, Liam Picken
HB: Christian Howard, Ayce Cordy, Jayden Schofield
C: Jason Tutt, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross
HF: Robert Murphy, Liam Jones, Daniel Giansiracusa
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Barry Hall, Shaun Higgins
Foll: Jordan Roughead, Ryan Griffen, Callan Ward
I/C: Ryan Hargrave, Brennan Stack, Jarrad Grant, Patrick Veszpremi, Nathan Djerrkura, Thomas Liberatore, Ed Barlow

In: Jarrad Grant, Ayce Cordy, Jason Tutt, Patrick Veszpremi, Ed Barlow

Out: Dale Morris (Leg), Ben Hudson

New: Ayce Cordy (Ocean Grove/Geelong College/Geelong U18), Jason Tutt (Ainslie/ACT Rams (ACT)), Patrick Veszpremi (Sydney Swans)

Port Adelaide

B: Tom Logan, Alipate Carlile, Jackson Trengove
HB: Ben Jacobs, Troy Chaplin, Thomas Jonas
C: Danyle Pearce, Travis Boak, Steven Salopek
HF: Daniel Motlop, Jay Schulz, Mitchell Banner
F: John Butcher, Justin Westhoff, Cameron Hitchcock
Foll: Matthew Lobbe, Domenic Cassisi, Robert Gray
I/C: Dean Brogan, Jacob Surjan, Matt Thomas, David Rodan, Matthew Broadbent, Daniel Stewart, Cameron O'Shea

In: Dean Brogan, Daniel Motlop, Daniel Stewart, Tom Logan, Cameron O'Shea
Out: Kane Cornes, Nick Salter (Calf)

SlimPickens
18-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Well done Ayce and Tutty best of luck in your debut. Hopefully Vez gets a run. Very young side but glad we are playing the pups in the final few rounds.

bornadog
18-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Roughead gets his big chance to be number one.

Murphy back to the forward line and half back line all pups.

Greystache
18-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Good start, hopefully Vez gets a game too.

Murphy also listed forward is interesting, wonder if that will actually happen.

SlimPickens
18-08-2011, 06:17 PM

No big Will, telling?

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 06:18 PM
IN: Paul Williams

OUT: Rodney Eade

:( :( :( :( :( :(

Rocco Jones
18-08-2011, 06:21 PM

Love this. I see Roughy as a 1st ruck rather than a 2nd ruck. The game has well and truly moved on from the days where you had to prove yourself as a back up first. They are very different roles.

Really like the ins and the team selection finally puts next season and beyod first.

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 06:24 PM
yep good to see Cordy finally getting a run, hope he has a good one and cements a place in the side.

cinder
18-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Hudson omitted? Harsh!

SlimPickens
18-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Not sure about the port line up but would like to see Cordy go to Westhoff first up (is he playing?). Similar builds and a similar match up I'd think.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Love this. I see Roughy as a 1st ruck rather than a 2nd ruck. The game has well and truly moved on from the days where you had to prove yourself as a back up first. They are very different roles.

Really like the ins and the team selection finally puts next season and beyod first.

This.

I can't see both Grant and Vez playing, so it'll be interesting who the final four are. My guess is Hargrave, Grant/Vez, DJ and Libba.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Hudson omitted? Harsh!

I'd go with logical. He is gone, our season is gone and we have 3 games left. Why play him? Maybe a retirement game against Freo but Port is the perfect opportunity to work towards 2012.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Haha. Thought of you when I read the team selection.

Do you think it means Barlow has to play?

bornadog
18-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Not sure about the port line up but would like to see Cordy go to Westhoff first up (is he playing?). Similar builds and a similar match up I'd think.

I have put in the op the Port team. Westhoff named at FF

Axe Man
18-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Backline as named has 110 games of experience total (62 of those from Picken) - scary! Glad we are playing Port.

We are also going to have size issues with Shultz, Butcher and Westhoff to cover with Cordy & Markovic & ?. Guess Hargrave or Wood are going to have to punch above their weight?

Agree that Westhoff seems the logical matchup for Cordy.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Haha. Thought of you when I read the team selection.

Do you think it means Barlow has to play?

Awww, so sweet.

Yep but I believe he proves his worth as a runner anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Roughy as 1st ruck because I really rate him highly. It's because I don't see the #1 role as being necceassairly harder than the #2 role. I think Roughy suits the #1 role more. IMO Roughy is very much overrated as a forward and really is a liability in the same forwad line as Hall and Jones. It's the perfect timing as Port's ruck div are inexperienced and state league quality.

Barlow looks the main option as back up but Cordy and Jones can do it as well if match ups suit.

I would probably have Roughy with reduced time in the ruck compared to Hudson with a bit more time up forward just to rest him up.

ledge
18-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Changing of the guard.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Vez, Stack, DJ and Barlow for mine.

DJ and Stack simply don't deserve to be dropped.

We need Barlow for ruck cover and he is in our best 22 IMO anyway.

Vez gets in ahead of Grant.

Rest Shaggy. We 'need' for the Hawks.

divvydan
18-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Watching the team announcement video, it seems Barlow is little chance of playing if that's accurate. Vez and Grant might be fighting for one spot at best too.

Regards talls, if that's the case, we'd have to play Markovic on Schulz and Cordy on Westhoff, meaning Hargrave will probably have to take Butcher. Was actually pretty impressed with the way Butcher presented at the ball last week on debut and Hargrave can drop off his man at times so I'd be instructing him to keep tight.

DOG GOD
18-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Geez, is port a chance of 1-39 @ $5.60...is Motlop due to explode?

ledge
18-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Geez, is port a chance of 1-39 @ $5.60...is Motlop due to explode?

Nah but Dahlhaus is!

Desipura
18-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Refreshing to see Roughy as the number 1 ruck, let's look to the future and also see if Grant can make full forward his position, perhaps alternating with Hall

Mantis
18-08-2011, 09:05 PM

I think all of us feel the same, but even in the secondary role he hasn't shown enough to warrant a promotion to the no.1 role.

I guess he gets a chance against another rookie this week, but I would hate to think how badly a more experienced ruck would work him over.

Sockeye Salmon
18-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I think all of us feel the same, but even in the secondary role he hasn't shown enough to warrant a promotion to the no.1 role.

I guess he gets a chance against another rookie this week, but I would hate to think how badly a more experienced ruck would work him over.

Like Brogan, perhaps?

Go_Dogs
18-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Like Brogan, perhaps?

I just assumed Mantis was suggesting Cordy to go with Brogan when he takes his turn in the ruck. :D

gohardorgohome
18-08-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm a Will Minson fan.... not happy to see him missing out on a game again.

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Hudson omitted? Harsh!

I would say this is reflective of the opinion of the MC when it comes to 2012.

Throughandthrough
19-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Will there be more then 15,000 people there?

And how many have actually paid?

I've been offered more free tickets then a St Kilda parking inspector this week.

Mantis
19-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Like Brogan, perhaps?

I didn't even look at their team and assumed Lobbe was playing as no.1 ruck like he has done for the last 6 to 10 weeks.

chef
19-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm a Will Minson fan.... not happy to see him missing out on a game again.

Looks like his career here may be over.

Mantis
19-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Looks like his career here may be over.

But he still has a year left on his contract so unless we can off-load him it seems likely he will be with us again next year.

Remember that we tried to off-load him last year and GC (Guy McKenna) picked Fraser over him.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2011, 08:59 AM
But he still has a year left on his contract so unless we can off-load him it seems likely he will be with us again next year.

Remember that we tried to off-load him last year and GC (Guy McKenna) picked Fraser over him.

Could Port be a potential suitor with Brogan retiring? I know GWS have added Giles, but Minson could be another mature option for them.

Seems he's not in the clubs plans, and should seek a move. I still think we need him, and he can offer us something moving forwards.

chef
19-08-2011, 09:00 AM

GWS, Richmond, Port and a few others are after a seasoned ruck so I can see Will asking for a trade for more opportunities with the way he's been treated this year. Which is a bit of a worry as Hudson will be gone and Roughead's either not ready or good enough to be a number 1 yet.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Nah but Dahlhaus is!

If we get beaten..... man

It's a pity about Will, as you say Chef

Mantis
19-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Could Port be a potential suitor with Brogan retiring? I know GWS have added Giles, but Minson could be another mature option for them.

Didn't Port treat his brother pretty poorly? Doubt he will end up there.

GWS might be an option.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Didn't Port treat his brother pretty poorly? Doubt he will end up there.

GWS might be an option.

If by poorly you mean the management of his injuries, who knows, I certainly don't. He had to retire because of the knee injury. His body was unlikely to hold up to the rigors of AFL. Not really an issue from my perspective, but who knows.

Do you see a role for Minson next year at the Dogs?

Mantis
19-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Do you see a role for Minson next year at the Dogs?

If Hudson retires which seems likely I do.

We can't go into the season with no back-up for Roughead who is yet to show he is capable of playing as a ruckman at the highest level.

westdog54
19-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Rocket mentioned on TFS last night that if Vez plays, we'll have played our entire senior list bar Tom Hill, who is on the LTI.

For me, Vez gets a crack at it.

chef
19-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Rocket mentioned on TFS last night that if Vez plays, we'll have played our entire senior list bar Tom Hill, who is on the LTI.

For me, Vez gets a crack at it.

That is quite amazing.

Go_Dogs
19-08-2011, 09:25 AM
That is quite amazing.

Makes the future a bit brighter given we've exposed a huge portion of the list this year, doesn't it?

chef
19-08-2011, 09:25 AM
If we get beaten..... man

It's a pity about Will, as you say Chef

It is, we will need him next year so hopefully he doesn't want out(but I wouldn't blame him if he did).

Rocco Jones
19-08-2011, 09:35 AM
If Hudson retires which seems likely I do.

We can't go into the season with no back-up for Roughead who is yet to show he is capable of playing as a ruckman at the highest level.

As much as I have been pushing Roughy for 1st ruck, I totally agree with Mantis.

Even if Roughy was doing really well, I think very squad needs a ready to go back up in the ruck.

BulldogBelle
19-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Dont see why we are talking about trading Minson, he is contracted for another season

I see him and Roughead fighting it out for the #1 ruck position in 2012 - similar to how Minson and Hudson did so in 2011

Will Rougheads shoulders stand up? Or could he handle the weekly pounding required of a #1 ruckman

bornadog
19-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Dont see why we are talking about trading Minson, he is contracted for another season

I see him and Roughead fighting it out for the #1 ruck position in 2012 - similar to how Minson and Hudson did so in 2011

Will Rougheads shoulders stand up? Or could he handle the weekly pounding required of a #1 ruckman

Where does that leave Cordy when Lake and Williams are back?

Scraggers
19-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Can we not play Wilbur as a KPP ... maybe deep forward. With Bazza going we could do with some size up forward.

jazzadogs
19-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, so this might already be on here. But Bulldogs Facebook page is reporting that Veszpremi WILL play this week. Very happy to hear that. Good luck to him, and Tutt and Ayce.

BulldogBelle
19-08-2011, 01:32 PM

I wouldnt be confident going into the season with just Roughead + Cordy as our rucks

And only Eddie Prato to back them up?

Cordy hasnt played a game yet - and imagine with his slight frame at present rucking against the likes of Sandilands - he would get murdered

bornadog
19-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Hargrave has withdrawn for the Port game, Sam Reid in the 25 man squad.

Mantis
19-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I wouldnt be confident going into the season with just Roughead + Cordy as our rucks

And only Eddie Prato to back them up?

Cordy hasnt played a game yet - and imagine with his slight frame at present rucking against the likes of Sandilands - he would get murdered

Someone posted last week that Prato won't be there next year.

neddie
19-08-2011, 02:15 PM
It is, we will need him next year so hopefully he doesn't want out(but I wouldn't blame him if he did).
Unless he wants out ,he's a required player ,under a new coach he may blossom!!

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Hargrave out injured for Reid

Chicago1
19-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Our match is being shown live on ESPN3 so I'm looking forward to seeing the team's reaction to the events this week and to seeing the new boys. Thank goodness we're playing Port. Even at home they'll be struggling.

bornadog
19-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Hargrave has withdrawn for the Port game, Sam Reid in the 25 man squad.

Hargrave out injured for Reid

and Dean Brogan out.

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Brogan out for port

bornadog
19-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Brogan out for port

Don't you read my posts;)

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Don't you read my posts;)

At the same time

Sockeye Salmon
19-08-2011, 03:47 PM
and Dean Brogan out.

I'm guessing we knew that when we dropped Hudson.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2011, 06:18 PM

Plenty of options for Cordy is he is playing decently.

Minson is an out and out ruckman, Roughy is a ruck who can go forward but I believe Cordy is more of a modern day 2nd ruck option and suits playing alonside Roughy or Minno more than then the latter pair suit playing together.

I also believe Cordy can playing alongside Lake and Williams if good enough.

If that's not enough options, we are very light on for tall forwards with Hall going and Cordy can have a go there.

Don't worry, semi-decent players won't strugle for a game with us for the forseeable future!

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm guessing we knew that when we dropped Hudson.

Must of, i thought Roughy V Brogan would have killed him, this is much better.

Surprised to see Reed is still ahead of Mitch, but i don't expect him to play anyway

bulldogsfight
19-08-2011, 06:56 PM
In vez barlow cordy tutt i
Out Stack Harg Moeeis Hudo

The Coon Dog
19-08-2011, 07:10 PM
In vez barlow cordy tutt i
Out Stack Harg Moeeis Hudo

Can you please translate?

azabob
19-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Can you please translate?

My exact thoughts!

IN - Tutt, Cordy, Barlow & Veszpremi

OUT - Stack, Hargrave, Morris and Hudson

Bulldog4life
19-08-2011, 07:40 PM
My exact thoughts!

IN - Tutt, Cordy, Barlow & Veszpremi

OUT - Stack, Hargrave, Morris and Hudson

Judging on last weeks game Stack is unlucky.

Desipura
19-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Bornadog, told you I was not nervous :p
But I do agree.

Lake Superior
19-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Liking the changes this week, good to see the Cordy, Tutt and Veszpremi getting a game.

Mantis
19-08-2011, 10:07 PM

I would say he is extremely unlucky.

Poor decision.

Templeton31
19-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Have you looked at our back line. If you'd told me at the start of the year our backline would be named as:

FB: Wood Markovic Picken
HB: Howard Cordy Schofield

I woulda thought you were on something. The entire HB line together would not have played 10 games. Last years back 6 was pretty consistenly something like:

Harbrow Lake Hargrave
Morris Williams Gilbee
(or some other version of those 6)

Incredible really.

LostDoggy
20-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Love the team selection but I think we might lose this match.

LostDoggy
20-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Losing this game is probably a good way for Williams to ensure he doesn't get the job.
Given we are playing Port Adelaide, we have to win this game.

bornadog
20-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Bornadog, told you I was not nervous :p
But I do agree.

I would say he is extremely unlucky.

Poor decision.

Yes, I am disappointed he missed out. Can't seem to get a run of a few games to get his confidence up.

bornadog
20-08-2011, 01:30 PM

If we lose this we are worse than I thought we were. Port has received the biggest shalackings of the season in the past few matches and their players look like they just want the season to end.

LostDoggy
20-08-2011, 02:15 PM
FWIW, Williamstown FC just tweeted 'Late changes. Stack Mulligan Wallis out.

They are emergencies someone in doubt or we not really debuting 3 tomorrow :confused:

Bulldog Revolution
20-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, I am disappointed he missed out. Can't seem to get a run of a few games to get his confidence up.

Really disappointed, I thought Stacky was making good progress

Rocco Jones
20-08-2011, 02:59 PM
FWIW, Williamstown FC just tweeted 'Late changes. Stack Mulligan Wallis out.

They are emergencies someone in doubt or we not really debuting 3 tomorrow :confused:

Grant and Stack are emergencies who aren't playing for Willy today. Perhaps we have one player who is really in doubt and we just wanted an extra back up. Also, after the Eade sacking maybe taking a bigger squad will be good in a team bonding kind of way.

LostDoggy
21-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Rumours on BF are that Dala has a groin concern and is possibly still home in Geelong. Grant would be the likely in you would expect if it's true

azabob
21-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Rumours on BF are that Dala has a groin concern and is possibly still home in Geelong. Grant would be the likely in you would expect if it's true

If true this is a big loss.

If true my statement above is a sign of just how disappointing our season has been.

Rocco Jones
21-08-2011, 01:04 PM

If there is even a slight doubt about his groin (or anything) then I really hope he is rested.

Not so sure about Grant being likely to come in for him. Did you see the ins and outs?

OUT: 3 medium defenders and a ruck
IN: KP defender, utility/2nd ruck, runner, small forward

With the current 22, we are playing 2 less defenders than last week and at least one more permanent forward. Perhaps we knew about the injury on Friday and Vez is the actual replacement for Dahl.

Go_Dogs
21-08-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't want to go all the way to West Lakes and not see Dahl! :D

divvydan
21-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Late change to the team, Jarrad Grant comes in to replace Luke Dahlhaus who is out after pulling up sore post training.

westernbulldogs Western Bulldogs
Word from the medical staff is the Dahlhaus will be right to play next week against the Hawks at the MCG

Vez will be sub