PDA

View Full Version : Our assistants

stefoid
18-08-2011, 07:46 PM
New coach usually brings his own team.

Which of our current assistants are any good?

I have nothing to go on, but I get the feeling that Peter Dean and Peter German are decent?

I have no opinion on williams either way. just wouldnt have a clue.

azabob
18-08-2011, 07:51 PM
According to David Smorgon Brett Montgomery & Paul Williams are contracted and Peter Dean contract is up for renewal.

comrade
18-08-2011, 10:46 PM
According to David Smorgon Brett Montgomery & Paul Williams are contracted and Peter Dean contract is up for renewal.

Pay them out and start fresh.

Rocco Jones
18-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Pay them out and start fresh.

No point just paying them out. Surely they can make coffee and such while the adults speak.

Greystache
18-08-2011, 11:02 PM
No point just paying them out. Surely they can make coffee and such while the adults speak.

What's their driving like? Perhaps they can replace old mate in the golf buggy.

bornadog
18-08-2011, 11:26 PM
What's their driving like? Perhaps they can replace old mate in the golf buggy.

that is funny:D

bulldogsman
18-08-2011, 11:41 PM
I had Peter Dean as a coach in my last year of u18's, best coach I've had for sure. I'm probably biased but I'd hate to see him go, he's done a good job with our back line.

I'm of the opinion that Brett Montgomery is no good, but that's more of a hunch then anything.

If Williams wants the coaching position next year and doesn't get it he may leave anyway.

Mantis
19-08-2011, 09:01 AM

That's rather immature RJ... nah *!*!*!*! it it's really immature as you have no idea how good these guys are at their jobs.... just like the rest of us.

bornadog
19-08-2011, 11:43 AM
That's rather immature RJ... nah *!*!*!*! it it's really immature as you have no idea how good these guys are at their jobs.... just like the rest of us.

I agree Mantis. None of us know what these assistants are like.

We know that Williams must be fairly impressive as he has had two years at Melbourne then came to us and was made senior assistant this year. Surely if he wasn't that good Rocket would not have promoted him.

Greystache
19-08-2011, 12:12 PM
I agree Mantis. None of us know what these assistants are like.

We know that Williams must be fairly impressive as he has had two years at Melbourne then came to us and was made senior assistant this year. Surely if he wasn't that good Rocket would not have promoted him.

Yet without Barry last year our forward line would've been dysfunctional, and this year we're getting killed at the stoppages and look powerless to control the oppositions attacking midfielders, neither of those point to Williams making a significant improvement to our onfield efforts.

bornadog
19-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Yet without Barry last year our forward line would've been dysfunctional, and this year we're getting killed at the stoppages and look powerless to control the oppositions attacking midfielders, neither of those point to Williams making a significant improvement to our onfield efforts.

That doesn't mean anything if you don't have the good players to work with.

Coaches can only do so much then its up to the players, you should know you have been involved at a high level in sports.

the banker
19-08-2011, 12:38 PM
If we have a first year coach, say Neeld, Sanderson, Scott or Cameron, Dean Laidley could be a great asset as the head Assistant - if the personal dynamics were right.

Greystache
19-08-2011, 12:38 PM
That doesn't mean anything if you don't have the good players to work with.

Coaches can only do so much then its up to the players, you should know you have been involved at a high level in sports.

Last year playing Higgins, Johnson, Hahn, and Hall in the same foward line was obsurd, that's not a personell issue that's poor coaching. The fact that other than Hahn none of them even considered applying defensive pressure when our forward line was the starting point for most of the oppositions goals, and yet were never held accountable is a major failure of the coaching staff.

Surely you can't be saying our midfield is a weakness this year? Boyd, Griffen, Cross and Ward have all had injury free seasons, Libba has been a strong contributor, we picked up Sherman, and Cooney had only missed a few games before our season was shot. You can't blame personell for losing the midfield battle on a regular basis. If it wasn't working then make some changes, we didn't, we went with the same set up week after week so they must have been happy with how we were going about it.

Personally I cant remember the last time a midfielder blocked or laid a shepherd for a team mate to create some space, perhaps we thought that was a fad too.

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Last year playing Higgins, Johnson, Hahn, and Hall in the same foward line was obsurd, that's not a personell issue that's poor coaching. The fact that other than Hahn none of them even considered applying defensive pressure when our forward line was the starting point for most of the oppositions goals, and yet were never held accountable is a major failure of the coaching staff.

Surely you can't be saying our midfield is a weakness this year? Boyd, Griffen, Cross and Ward have all had injury free seasons, Libba has been a strong contributor, we picked up Sherman, and Cooney had only missed a few games before our season was shot. You can't blame personell for losing the midfield battle on a regular basis. If it wasn't working then make some changes, we didn't, we went with the same set up week after week so they must have been happy with how we were going about it.

Personally I cant remember the last time a midfielder blocked or laid a shepherd for a team mate to create some space, perhaps we thought that was a fad too.

You're such a cheerful bloke Greystache! :)

stefoid
19-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Is Williams deluded? He has put himself up for the top job? We sacked Eade on the grounds we needed a fresh change through the place and he thinks we are then going to appoint Eades senior assistant instead?

bornadog
19-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Is Williams deluded? He has put himself up for the top job? We sacked Eade on the grounds we needed a fresh change through the place and he thinks we are then going to appoint Eades senior assistant instead?

At least he has the guts to apply. Why not if he has ambitions, if you don't push your own barrow no one else will.

Mantis
19-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Leon Cameron was Eade's senior assistant for at least 3 or 4 years prior to departing less than 12 months ago.

How is it any different?

Sedat
19-08-2011, 03:36 PM
There are 4 people in match-committee so perhaps they weren't always in unified agreement on the most effective compsition of the forward line in 2010.

LostDoggy
19-08-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't necessarily believe that promoting an assistant isn't bringing a fresh approach. They may have, no wait, they most certainly will have, had thousands of ideas over the years that either went unheard or were challenged and shot down by the senior coach. Bringing in somebody who understands the dynamics of the team and has some fresh ideas that they've been waiting for their opportunity to try out may not be the end of the world scenario we think it is.

stefoid
19-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Leon Cameron was Eade's senior assistant for at least 3 or 4 years prior to departing less than 12 months ago.

How is it any different?

That would work against him as well, youd think.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2011, 06:24 PM
At least he has the guts to apply. Why not if he has ambitions, if you don't push your own barrow no one else will.

Totally agree.

Rocco Jones
19-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Sorry, missed the lesson on maturity about it being immature to have a go at assistant coaches and mature to swear at people who disagree with you on the internet.

Mantis
19-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Sorry, missed the lesson on maturity about it being immature to have a go at assistant coaches and mature to swear at people who disagree with you on the internet.

Guilty as charged... best I be off to make some tea while the big people speak.

ledge
20-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Williams has an advantage over a new coach to the club, he knows the players already.