PDA

View Full Version : German eyes Bulldogs job

The Coon Dog
20-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Brent Diamond - The Age - August 20

WILLIAMSTOWN coach Peter German says he'd be "really interested" in taking on the Western Bulldogs' coaching position after being involved in the game as an assistant and a coach for 17 years.

German, the Bulldogs' development coach, has taken the Seagulls to be the premier state league team in the country in winning the Foxtel Cup this season, as well as holding second spot behind Port Melbourne in the VFL this season.
Advertisement: Story continues below

German was adamant that clubs were ''smart enough" to look outside the square of assistant coaches for the top position. He was hopeful state league coaches would also be in the mix. "It's an interesting one. I think for whatever reason, assistant coaches seem to get a good look in over the journey,'' German said. ''But at the end of the day, I think clubs are smart enough now to really work out who they want so it can help them head in the direction that they want to head in.''

Article in full...
(http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/german-eyes-bulldogs-job-20110819-1j2ij.html)

GVGjr
20-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Whats everyone's view on him? I don't quite see him as a senior coach but he would know the list better than most other candidates. I think who ever gets the job should look long and hard at having Peter German as the senior assistant.

comrade
20-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Whats everyone's view on him? I don't quite see him as a senior coach but he would know the list better than most other candidates. I think who ever gets the job should look long and hard at having Peter German as the senior assistant.

Agreed. He's an impressive communicator and seems to demand the respect of his playing group.

Hotdog60
20-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I get the impression from what I have seen of him on TV is that he has a sense of humor along the lines of maybe Rocket, gives the impression you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side as you may get a old fashion spray.

Could be a Rocket clone in some ways as personalities goes, just depends on he's idea of coaching style, has experience and maybe good for developing a young squad.

I'd be neutral if he got the job.

LostDoggy
20-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Refer my previous posts about him. I'm beginning to be a bit of a broken record. He deserves a shot and good things seem to follow that man when he is at the helm of a club. Not just team wise but club wise.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Don't really know much about him, other than he can yell quite loudly in the huddle. :D

On face value he seems like someone who is quite demanding, especially for a development coach. My question would be, is his style going to assist communication and mentoring of younger players who have different needs now than they did 10+ years ago.

ledge
20-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I am not really sure on whether he is articulate enough, seems a bit of an old fashioned style but saying that he is coach of practically an AFL side anyway so he must be doing something right.

boydogs
20-08-2011, 01:11 PM
On face value he seems like someone who is quite demanding, especially for a development coach. My question would be, is his style going to assist communication and mentoring of younger players who have different needs now than they did 10+ years ago.

Seems like a bit of a confused question to me. He's succeeding as a coach at VFL level, which is full of younger players - surely that is his trump card amongst other candidates and not his weakness?

boydogs
20-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I am not really sure on whether he is articulate enough, seems a bit of an old fashioned style but saying that he is coach of practically an AFL side anyway so he must be doing something right.

Are Malthouse, Thompson, Eade & Clarkson old fashioned too?

bornadog
20-08-2011, 01:27 PM
There is a big difference between VFL and AFL, so my question is can German handle modern style footy?

Bulldog Revolution
20-08-2011, 02:05 PM

That's a good take on it

I dont think he's the ideal senior coach for us at this stage, but he'd be a terrific assistant, and has inside knowledge, but would also be enough of a fresh voice

Very experienced coach in so many environments, and should have enough confidence to disagree and challenge an incoming senior coach

Go_Dogs
20-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Seems like a bit of a confused question to me. He's succeeding as a coach at VFL level, which is full of younger players - surely that is his trump card amongst other candidates and not his weakness?

I get that, and the fact he is our development manager would also tend to indicate his strength is working with younger players. As I mentioned, I don't know enough about him to do anything other than speculate - he could be exactly what we need.

I'm just not convinced his style (my limited perception of it at least) is one conducive to developing a young squad. He might however be the more demanding type of guy that could be better utilised in a more hands on role as an assistant, rather than a development manager.

Happy Days
20-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't get the difference between him and Cameron.

Hiring someone who has a relationship to the club is a bad thing when we're talking about Leon, but if we hire German he has a great knowledge of the list?

I think opinions of him are inflated because some of us have had the opportunity to see him in the huddle.

immortalmike
20-08-2011, 05:46 PM
The big problem I have with German is that Williamstown plays 2009 football. It's all run and gun through the middle. Can an AFL side really play this way in 2012?

chef
20-08-2011, 07:52 PM
The big problem I have with German is that Williamstown plays 2009 football. It's all run and gun through the middle. Can an AFL side really play this way in 2012?

I guess we'll find out if Eade gets a job next year.

boydogs
20-08-2011, 11:11 PM
I get that, and the fact he is our development manager would also tend to indicate his strength is working with younger players. As I mentioned, I don't know enough about him to do anything other than speculate - he could be exactly what we need.

I'm just not convinced his style (my limited perception of it at least) is one conducive to developing a young squad. He might however be the more demanding type of guy that could be better utilised in a more hands on role as an assistant, rather than a development manager.

Again you're coming back to knocking him based on his ability to work with younger players. German to me is a good option if we decide to really cut into the list - I'm talking Melbourne style, 5 players over 25 left. He could be the man to mould the group to challenge again in 3-5 years time.

If we want to take a more natural approach i.e. whilst Hudson, Hall etc. are gone we continue to retain and play the best available, then that is where I see German as behind those who have had senior or assistant coaching experience at AFL level

neddie
20-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Agreed. He's an impressive communicator and seems to demand the respect of his playing group.

His record is impressive,must be in the mix.He's got my vote.

Desipura
21-08-2011, 08:05 AM
There is a big difference between VFL and AFL, so my question is can German handle modern style footy?

Agree with this

Mantis
21-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Again you're coming back to knocking him based on his ability to work with younger players. German to me is a good option if we decide to really cut into the list - I'm talking Melbourne style, 5 players over 25 left. He could be the man to mould the group to challenge again in 3-5 years time.

But we are already re-signing these older players.

Which poses the question, should we be waiting until a new coach is signed before we re-sign players who are older than say 27 or 28?

azabob
21-08-2011, 07:25 PM
But we are already re-signing these older players.

Which poses the question, should we be waiting until a new coach is signed before we re-sign players who are older than say 27 or 28?

Who have we resigned? Personally I think all list decisions should wait till the new coach is on board in regards to the 27 plus.

Mantis
21-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Who have we resigned? Personally I think all list decisions should wait till the new coach is on board in regards to the 27 plus.

Murphy has agreed to terms for 2 more years.

Next on list to re-sign are Boyd, Cross & Gia... read here (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/08/18/murphy-in-new-bulldogs-deal/)

azabob
21-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Murphy has agreed to terms for 2 more years.

Next on list to re-sign are Boyd, Cross & Gia... read here (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/08/18/murphy-in-new-bulldogs-deal/)

Thanks Mantis. What is your view?

Mantis
21-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks Mantis. What is your view?

I would be waiting until a new coach is signed before deciding what happens next... but seeing as though Smorgon and co. believe we need a refresh rather than a rebuild I guess they will continue to re-sign these players.

ledge
21-08-2011, 08:37 PM
I would be waiting until a new coach is signed before deciding what happens next... but seeing as though Smorgon and co. believe we need a refresh rather than a rebuild I guess they will continue to re-sign these players.

In saying that Mantis its not hard to figure out which ones are certainties to keep.

Mantis
21-08-2011, 08:55 PM
In saying that Mantis its not hard to figure out which ones are certainties to keep.

Which ones are those?

Go_Dogs
21-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Which ones are those?

Well, based on this year Murph deserves 2 years (I understand the concerns regarding his longevity, but surely we have intimate knowledge of this too). Gia has been alright, but would be trying to make him a yearly proposition. Boyd and Cross are also both certainties for the shorter term. Not sure what the issue is with re-signing those guys?

It's obvious the committee will be searching for a coach to 're-fresh' so on that basis, one would assume it's someone who will have faith in these sort of players do not drop away, or in some cases, not significantly.

Go_Dogs
21-08-2011, 09:12 PM

If we want to take a more natural approach i.e. whilst Hudson, Hall etc. are gone we continue to retain and play the best available, then that is where I see German as behind those who have had senior or assistant coaching experience at AFL level

Fair enough, sounds like you know quite a bit about him and his strengths so I'm happy to concede.

Certainly wasn't trying to knock him. The results speak loud and clear and he obviously knows what he's doing.

boydogs
22-08-2011, 02:41 AM

I would be waiting until a new coach is signed before deciding what happens next...

Agreed, they're really tying the new coaches hands behind his back by doing it now.

Well, based on this year Murph deserves 2 years (I understand the concerns regarding his longevity, but surely we have intimate knowledge of this too). Gia has been alright, but would be trying to make him a yearly proposition. Boyd and Cross are also both certainties for the shorter term. Not sure what the issue is with re-signing those guys?

Because they won't be around in 3-5 years time when we are next ready to challenge if we do a full rebuild

Fair enough, sounds like you know quite a bit about him and his strengths so I'm happy to concede.

Don't know him at all, just going from his record. It doesn't sound like they will be looking for a rebuild coach anyway, so it's a moot point.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Because they won't be around in 3-5 years time when we are next ready to challenge if we do a full rebuild

It doesn't sound like they will be looking for a rebuild coach anyway, so it's a moot point.

I agree, it doesn't seem we'll be taking that path.

That being said, this has to be one of the reasons I'm against the total rebuild approach. Any coach who would come in and not re-sign Murph, Boyd, Gia and Cross would have to be very sure of what they're doing. Removing the back bone of experienced players who could contribute the next year (and for some, beyond) is a risky strategy.

It will be interesting to follow Port and how their list develops, given they've essentially not played the majority of their senior back bone and pumped games into the younger crop. In the least it's meant this year has been a write off, but I get the feeling they are still a few more years away from being a competitive side. By which time GC and GWS' young lists will be hitting their straps too.

Anyways, hopefully our re-fresh can work wonders, and surely there is place for German somewhere in the mix.

soupman
23-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Interesting that the article also mentions that we are looking to re-sign Grant, Wood and particularly Stack, who many supporters seem to have written off and some outright hate (more talking about BF posters than those on here who seem quite hopeful for Stack).

bornadog
23-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Interesting that the article also mentions that we are looking to re-sign Grant, Wood and particularly Stack, who many supporters seem to have written off and some outright hate (more talking about BF posters than those on here who seem quite hopeful for Stack).

Yeah the same people that used Hargrave, Gia, Eagleton as a scapegoat over the years.;)

Mantis
23-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah the same people that used Hargrave, Gia, Eagleton as a scapegoat over the years.;)

Go and get your violin out.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Go and get your violin out.

Feeling guilty or just like to stir:confused:

Mantis
23-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Feeling guilty or just like to stir:confused:

Are you serious?

As much as you would like to think they aren't singled out because they aren't liked, these players are criticised because of the flaws in their game which have cost us on numerous occasions.

We are allowed to criticise you know.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Are you serious?

As much as you would like to think they aren't singled out because they aren't liked, these players are criticised because of the flaws in their game which have cost us on numerous occasions.

We are allowed to criticise you know.

But the same players are picked on when others have also been no good.

I was agreeing with Soupman on the BF posters. No mater what certain players do, people still call for their head at selection time, they just can't see the bigger picture, then they blame the MC for having favourites, which is just hog wash.

Desipura
23-08-2011, 11:54 AM

I was agreeing with Soupman on the BF posters. No mater what certain players do, people still call for their head at selection time, they just can't see the bigger picture, then they blame the MC for having favourites, which is just hog wash.
Can you 2 get a room?

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Can you 2 get a room?

You made me laugh Desi. :D

bornadog
23-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Can you 2 get a room?

Only if you and Chops go first:D

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Hey maybe this (WOOF) is the room!

bornadog
23-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey maybe this (WOOF) is the room!

I guess we all have our opinions.

Desipura
23-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I guess we all have our opinions.

Opinions are like arses, everyone has one.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Opinions are like arses, everyone has one.

As long as people don't act like one:D

Desipura
23-08-2011, 03:16 PM
As long as people don't act like one:D
I thought you were going to say some are bigger than others. :D

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Actually the one I've heard is that opinions are like armpits -- everyone has a couple and most of them stink.

Ghost Dog
29-08-2011, 01:49 PM

At least we all seem to agree on Josh Hill. :D

Ghost Dog
29-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Do we not?
Back to Peter German.
I think a few posters over-complicate it. German would adapt pretty well to AFL I guess.

But at the end of the day, the game is a simple one. It's about competing and getting the footy, and working even harder
when you dont have it. What we have lacked is that killer instinct to really punish teams. we need that, and whoever will bring it.

bornadog
29-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Do tell! think Rocket's demise is enough to put some wind in his sails?
What should we do with Josh Hill?

We know he has talent but we don't know why he doesn't always show it. Sometimes a new coach is able to get more out of a player and the players attitude changes. Certainly since Rocket left Hill has shown more intensity and willingness to go in for the ball.

Other players like Everitt just haven't got that burning passion for football. He has changed clubs and has a new coach but is still struggling.