PDA

View Full Version : Round #23 Match Committee

GVGjr
21-08-2011, 09:30 AM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 23 away game against the Hawks next Saturday at the MCG?

GVGjr
21-08-2011, 06:48 PM
How many changes?

DOG GOD
21-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Out - ?
In - someone to play on Franklin

Mantis
21-08-2011, 07:06 PM
In - someone to play on Franklin

Like who?

immortalmike
21-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Like who?

I'll give it a go if they allow me the use of a sledgehammer...

Rocco Jones
21-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Shaggy and Dahl are the only two I'd bring back if they are fit enough.

Howard is first one I would have out. I really don't know who else should go out. I thought Grant was OK and deserves another go. He can also fill free up Jones to relieve Roughy in the ruck. Vez being dropped after playing as a sub would be rough. I think Cordy needs to stay in due to our lack of defenders and to give him some experience and I thought Schofield was OK as well.

ledge
21-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Cordy could be handy to keep if he has it in him to drop back in front of Franklin.
TBH I think it would be a good game for the kids to learn about oppositon with great midfield and a great forward.
Definitely get more of a gauge where we are at in that game than todays game.

1eyedog
21-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Out: DJ, Barlow

In: Wallis, Hargrave

LostDoggy
21-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Out: DJ, Barlow

In: Wallis, Hargrave

I like.

Play as many kids as you can. They get the experience, they get a taste of what's required to be the best. When we get obliterated, we can always chirpily reply: “We're playing kids from Willy mate!”

BulldogBelle
21-08-2011, 11:42 PM
DJ was pretty good. He actually works exceptionally hard.

Surely we must persist with him.

BulldogBelle
21-08-2011, 11:51 PM
http://fsb.zedge.net/content/8/8/1/2/1-1448736-8812-t.jpg
I'll give it a go if they allow me the use of a sledgehammer...

SlimPickens
21-08-2011, 11:52 PM
I'd want to get in Wallis if possible, maybe drop Howard for him. That being said happy to remain unchanged and give the young blokes a crack at a top 4 team.

LongWait
22-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Hill may gain a recall. Let's see if he can replicate the intensity he showed against Box Hill when playing against their Hawthorn big brothers. Hill in might release Jones to have a turn down back if the MC want to check Jones out as a defender and try to play him into a bit of form.

Seriously, Hill has the physical attributes and skill set to be a success against a side who press. We only need one pack marking gorilla and the sometimes resting ruckman up forward - Hill to play the third tall. Can he get his head in the right space and take his final opportunity if offered?

bornadog
22-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Hill may gain a recall. Let's see if he can replicate the intensity he showed against Box Hill when playing against their Hawthorn big brothers. Hill in might release Jones to have a turn down back if the MC want to check Jones out as a defender and try to play him into a bit of form.

Seriously, Hill has the physical attributes and skill set to be a success against a side who press. We only need one pack marking gorilla and the sometimes resting ruckman up forward - Hill to play the third tall. Can he get his head in the right space and take his final opportunity if offered?

Jones down back would most likely do better than Cordy down back.

Who would you drop for Hill to come in?

Ozza
22-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I think although Hargrave was really ordinary before he was injured v Essendon - our injuries mean he should probably come back in to defence...I'd be going in with this line up;

B: Hargrave; Markovic; Wood
HB: Murphy; Barlow; Picken
C: Ward; Boyd; Tutt
HF: DJ; Jones; Higgins
F: Gia; Hall; Daulhaus
R: Roughead; Griffen; Liberatore
Int: Vez; Cross; Schofield - Sub: Grant

G-Mo77
22-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Have we pretty much scratched Hudson, Gilbee, Minson from selections?

I haven't watched all of the game yet so can't say who would be in line to be omitted.

From the VFL Hill didn't do himself any harm with his game on the weekend but would rather Wallis or Stack come in. Dahlhaus would be an obvious in if fit.

BulldogBelle
22-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Lance Franklin declares he doesn't want to be rested before finals
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/lance-franklin-declares-he-doesnt-want-to-be-rested-before-finals/story-e6frf9jf-1226119632812

Maybe Hawthorn will throw us a bone and rest Franklin this week?

;-)

Would make our selection / matchup problem easier...

LongWait
22-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Jones down back would most likely do better than Cordy down back.

Who would you drop for Hill to come in?

Grant.

immortalmike
22-08-2011, 03:52 PM
http://fsb.zedge.net/content/8/8/1/2/1-1448736-8812-t.jpg

That's exactly who I was thinking of as I posted.

Seriously though if he's okay Shaggy needs to play. We desperately need some old heads down back. On Buddy's matchup maybe Markovic in the forward 50 and Wood follows him up the ground.

stefoid
22-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Im happy to 'play the kids'. Not tank per se, but definately give the kids and fringe players a taste of senior footy and rest the oldies for next year. Let the team run out and give it their best shot, but dont play tired, injured guys in two essentially meaningless games.

Put hargrave to pasture for the remiander of the seaosn, what has he got to prove?

Sub barry at half time.

Play vezpremi, Cordy, Tutt, roughhead, Dalhaus, Schofield, etc...

Put hudson in the rack. Possibly play minson and hill.

Is it time to 'rest' Ward and play Wallis instead?

neddie
22-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Howard is first one I would have out. I really don't know who else should go out. I thought Grant was OK and deserves another go. He can also fill free up Jones to relieve Roughy in the ruck. Vez being dropped after playing as a sub would be rough. I think Cordy needs to stay in due to our lack of defenders and to give him some experience and I thought Schofield was OK as well.

Whilst Howard did not have a great game, was it right to sub him off for his first game in his home town, Adelaide. The game was over at the end of the third quarter anyway. Bit tough as players are only human, not cattle! And not good human relations in my view.

chef
22-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Whilst Howard did not have a great game, was it right to sub him off for his first game in his home town, Adelaide. The game was over at the end of the third quarter anyway. Bit tough as players are only human, not cattle! And not good human relations in my view.

Serious?

choconmientay
22-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Is it time to 'rest' Ward and play Wallis instead?

If we think "he's gone...." then we should play other players instead of Ward. Another one to consider is Hill. We should play him to 'increase' his market value a bit so we can get something decent in return in trade period.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Willy's big win didn't throw up any likely inclusions. Dahlhaus looks to be the only certain in against Hawthorn. Hargrave Mulligan Stack and Hooper Wallis all didn't play at the weekend. Markovic deserves first crack at Franklin then maybe Wood rather than Cordy whose inexperience and lack of mobility a problem.

Maddog37
22-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Imagine Dollhouse playing on Cyrill. That would be fun to watch!!

I hope they keep Howard in so he gets the chance to redeem himself. although he played a shocker last week we need to think longer term than just beating the Hawks. This is where a fill in coach wanting to impress is compromised IMO.

LostDoggy
22-08-2011, 09:07 PM
How can anyone have Hill in their side... he has had his chances time and time again

Mantis
22-08-2011, 09:37 PM
Imagine Dollhouse playing on Cyrill. That would be fun to watch!!

I hope they keep Howard in so he gets the chance to redeem himself. although he played a shocker last week we need to think longer term than just beating the Hawks. This is where a fill in coach wanting to impress is compromised IMO.

Williams has repeatedly said in the press that he is putting the teams development ahead of the personal gains that could be had if he played around with team selection.

bornadog
22-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Willy's big win didn't throw up any likely inclusions. Dahlhaus looks to be the only certain in against Hawthorn. Hargrave Mulligan Stack and Hooper Wallis all didn't play at the weekend. Markovic deserves first crack at Franklin then maybe Wood rather than Cordy whose inexperience and lack of mobility a problem.

I am starting to feel sorry for Wood at 185cm. Just because he can jump a bit we expect him to play on Gorillas. He has done that a few times and in every game has been smashed. We need another solution.

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2011, 12:23 AM
I am starting to feel sorry for Wood at 185cm. Just because he can jump a bit we expect him to play on Gorillas. He has done that a few times and in every game has been smashed. We need another solution.

Ryan Hargrave circa 2003-2006

1eyedog
23-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Ryan Hargrave circa 2003-2006

Only 2 inches shorter

Mantis
23-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Didn't he do quite well on Tippett last year?

And with 3 or 4 of our first choice defenders being out we don't have many options... especially when a few of other replacements aren't suited.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Didn't he do quite well on Tippett last year?

And with 3 or 4 of our first choice defenders being out we don't have many options... especially when a few of other replacements aren't suited.

Can't imagine him beating Tippet who is a monster, but I can't remember the game either.

Yes, we don't have much options. I would just go with Markovic and work on stopping their midfield.

Mantis
23-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Can't imagine him beating Tippet who is a monster, but I can't remember the game either.

He played on him on in the wet in Adel late last year.... maybe rd 19, the week before he played on SJ and did his hammy.

Yes, we don't have much options. I would just go with Markovic and work on stopping their midfield.

Good luck with that.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 10:12 AM
He played on him on in the wet in Adel late last year.... maybe rd 19, the week before he played on SJ and did his hammy.

Good luck with that.

Yeah that's right, but it was wet and not made for big guys so really doesn't count.

Hawthorn will win by 80 points.

Mantis
23-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah that's right, but it was wet and not made for big guys so really doesn't count.

Of course it doesn't. :rolleyes:

bornadog
23-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Of course it doesn't. :rolleyes:

Not sure why you are rolling your eyes. :confused:

The game was played in atrocious conditions and not made for big guys. In any case, Wood actually didn't play on Tippet, Williams did. In the last quarter when things were tight with a goal the difference, the ball was kicked into the Adelaide forward line and Tippet was on his own, Wood chased Tippet down and beat him on the ground and then cleared the ball.

Tippet spent a lot of time in the ruck that night as they only had himself and Maric.

Lets face it Wood should not play against these big guys, I would even prefer Mulligan if we are that desperate.

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2011, 10:42 AM

I would go with Wood as he is the only with enough zip apart from Murphy. Cross to drop back for the chop out intercept mark as well.

Do need to limit their midfield and Boyd MUST negate Mitchell with a defensive mind set.

Not sure Roughy can provide enough presence. He did do some nice things against Port but was still outpointed by a VFL standard ruckman.

LongWait
23-08-2011, 01:06 PM
I'd like to see Jones spend some time on Buddy: for the learning it should bring him more than anything else. Doesn't matter what the result of the game is. We need to use every opportunity to teach the young players what it takes to succeed at AFL level.

Desipura
23-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I hope we dont do to Wood what we did to Kretiuk. Having to play taller was one of the reasons he copped some many hammy injuries. The legs were not designed to stretch and jump as much as Kretters had to.

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Mulligan (Williams lite) is the only healthy player on our list who has the height, speed and agility to go with Buddy in a defensive role. Markovic (Lake lite) will be run around and probably twang his hammy in the process.

In any case, they are the two key backs on our list that are there purely for depth PRECISELY in case our first choice KPBs get injured. If we can't play them on key position forwards when Williams and Lake are injured, we may as well delist them tomorrow. We made our bed (signed Mulligan as a back-up KPP) let's at least lie in it a bit.

Wood or Cross can get across from their own match-ups and help out, but starting Wood on Buddy doesn't make sense from a tactical, structural or physical standpoint -- he's been beaten in the air by far lesser players than Buddy the last couple of weeks. I'll trust Wood to leave his man to help out more than the reverse (ie. Mulligan leaving HIS opponent to help Wood out). Finally, Easton's great strength is running the ball out of defense, and since we want someone to play a tighter negating role on Buddy, all it would end up doing is rob us of Easton's run if he was just following Buddy around all night (and conversely we would be leaving Buddy too free if Easton plays his natural game).

I know Mulligan's a spud, but surely may be at least nuisance value in a purely negating role where we're not asking him to do anything with the ball.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-08-2011, 03:06 PM
I'd like to see us develop Wood as a midfielder for next year. Obviously we can't do that right now, but given the state of our list and his potential, I think it's something we should try. We aren't going to be able to plug every hole, but let's try and build a young midfield together. Wood's ability to win a contest, break away from opponents with strength and speed, and carry the football are traits that could see him become a quality midfielder. It'd really help out Griffen who is clearly struggling withut Cooney.

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I know Mulligan's a spud, but surely may be at least nuisance value in a purely negating role where we're not asking him to do anything with the ball.

I reckon Dollhouse would be a better option than Mulligan.

Wood was beaten in the air by Butcher. Buddy is nothing special in the air but it's when the ball hits the ground Wood is at his best although I am suggesting this against a poor lot of options.

Remi Moses
23-08-2011, 03:48 PM
DJ was pretty good. He actually works exceptionally hard.

Surely we must persist with him.

Agreed I think Djkuerra is getting better.

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I reckon Dollhouse would be a better option than Mulligan.

Wood was beaten in the air by Butcher. Buddy is nothing special in the air but it's when the ball hits the ground Wood is at his best although I am suggesting this against a poor lot of options.

My observation was that Barlow was mostly opposed to Butcher.

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Agreed I think Djkuerra is getting better.

His hands off the deck are definitely a concern though -- for such a small player, his ball handling needs to be spot on, and there was a passage where he had all the time in the world to steady and pick it up and it would have been a certain goal if he did but it just kept slipping out of his hands and he had to soccer it under pressure in the end and the opportunity was gone.

Is there anything the coaches can do to improve this aspect of his game? Practice makes perfect right -- he needs to just spend a LOT of time on this.

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 06:18 PM
What would you guys prefer as a general approach: 1) try to limit the damage and play as defensively as we can, or 2) go hell for leather and just give it a good crack and put whatever happens down to experience either way,

stefoid
23-08-2011, 06:47 PM
I'd like to see Jones spend some time on Buddy: for the learning it should bring him more than anything else. Doesn't matter what the result of the game is. We need to use every opportunity to teach the young players what it takes to succeed at AFL level.

I very much doubt we'll win, but Id rather try and win the game by winning the ball in the middle and kicking to our usual forwads >> end up with a biugger score than the hawks.

As opposed to going in with a reactive mindset of putting one of our forwards in defence trying to limit the damage.

Put a defender on buddy to educate the defender, not a forward.

(edit, should have read the entire thread before posting. I got with option 2 above, obviously)

LongWait
23-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I very much doubt we'll win, but Id rather try and win the game by winning the ball in the middle and kicking to our usual forwads >> end up with a biugger score than the hawks.

As opposed to going in with a reactive mindset of putting one of our forwards in defence trying to limit the damage.

Put a defender on buddy to educate the defender, not a forward.

(edit, should have read the entire thread before posting. I got with option 2 above, obviously)

I'm not trying to turn Jones into a defender - just think it would be good for his development to spend a little time on Buddy - maybe only 20 minutes or a quarter would be enough to give him a taste.

The Coon Dog
23-08-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm not trying to turn Jones into a defender - just think it would be good for his development to spend a little time on Buddy - maybe only 20 minutes or a quarter would be enough to give him a taste.

Or the fright of his life! ;)

LongWait
23-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Or the fright of his life! ;)

That's the idea TCD!

w3design
23-08-2011, 07:10 PM
I'd like to see us develop Wood as a midfielder for next year. Obviously we can't do that right now, but given the state of our list and his potential, I think it's something we should try. We aren't going to be able to plug every hole, but let's try and build a young midfield together. Wood's ability to win a contest, break away from opponents with strength and speed, and carry the football are traits that could see him become a quality midfielder. It'd really help out Griffen who is clearly struggling withut Cooney.
I like this idea a lot.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 07:46 PM

I think its a smart move, he can see what a real FF/CHF should be doing and we don't have much choice anyway so go with a left field. Stick Grant at CHF and tell him to try and own this role.

LongWait
23-08-2011, 07:51 PM
I think its a smart move, he can see what a real FF/CHF should be doing and we don't have much choice anyway so go with a left field. Stick Grant at CHF and tell him to try and own this role.

We'll never get a better opportunity to experiment and deliberately throw players out of their comfort zones than during the next two games. Magnificent learning opportunity which I hope we take advantage of.

GVGjr
23-08-2011, 09:38 PM

I see the merit in this. Actually I wanted him to be given a spell as a key defender during the NAB Cup campaign just to give him more exposure to different tasks.

Ghost Dog
23-08-2011, 10:09 PM
That's got to be a lesson for Liam right there, just to experience what it's going to take to be elite. Good suggestion.

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I see the merit in this. Actually I wanted him to be given a spell as a key defender during the NAB Cup campaign just to give him more exposure to different tasks.

So we're not trying to score anymore? Jones's best value is in his ability to clunk marks and link the game across half-forward. When we start throwing our best KPFs back in some vain hope of quelling an opposition player but are too afraid to let a KPB do his job .. hey, I guess we're 'experimenting' for draft pick positions now aren't we.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 10:14 PM
So we're not trying to score anymore? Jones's best value is in his ability to clunk marks and link the game across half-forward. When we start throwing our best KPFs back in some vain hope of quelling an opposition player but are too afraid to let a KPB do his job .. hey, I guess we're 'experimenting' for draft pick positions now aren't we.

Lantern, the guy is not scoring anyway and has lot to learn. He barely averages 10 disposals a game. He is a good mark but needs to learn about positioning himself and becoming a danger forward. Who better than the best in the business to learn from. It will also help his defensive skills.

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Lantern, the guy is not scoring anyway and has lot to learn. He barely averages 10 disposals a game. He is a good mark but needs to learn about positioning himself and becoming a danger forward. Who better than the best in the business to learn from. It will also help his defensive skills.

All good points.. I guess I'm just not sure he'll learn that much from getting 10 goals kicked on him.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 10:26 PM
All good points.. I guess I'm just not sure he'll learn that much from getting 10 goals kicked on him.

Maybe it will be 15:D

GVGjr
23-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Not sure I'm drawing the same bow as you Lantern. I said I could see the merit in the suggestion and I mentioned I had a similar view before the start of the season in the NAB cup games. Whilst I see him as a forward it could still be a good learning curve for him.
You know he was used for a spell in the ruck during the season?

GVGjr
23-08-2011, 10:34 PM

My preference a couple of weeks back was to issue the challenge to Barlow and see how bad he wants to be promoted to the senior list.

bulldogsman
23-08-2011, 11:02 PM
My observation was that Barlow was mostly opposed to Butcher.

This is how I saw it as well.

bornadog
24-08-2011, 12:26 AM
This is how I saw it as well.

Watching the Winners on Foxtel showing the highlights, at least four goals kicked on Wood.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Not sure I'm drawing the same bow as you Lantern. I said I could see the merit in the suggestion and I mentioned I had a similar view before the start of the season in the NAB cup games. Whilst I see him as a forward it could still be a good learning curve for him.
You know he was used for a spell in the ruck during the season?

Yes -- however, (IMO) ruck is a 'having a spell' type position, with different guys taking turns in there. With someone on Buddy you'd hope that one (or two) guys will do the job all night and would want their heads switched on for that role the whole game.

bulldogsman
24-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Watching the Winners on Foxtel showing the highlights, at least four goals kicked on Wood.

I guess that goes to show how badly Wood played then because i'm sure Barlow was on him for a pretty big chunk.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 01:29 PM

Wood was on Butcher for most of the game. The height differential was obvious. Butcher was way too tall for him but also beat him in positioning and use of his body.

Not sure when if ever Barlow was his direct opponent except perhaps after the horse had bolted

bornadog
24-08-2011, 03:09 PM
From Twitter -Jen Witham

Ben Hudson will get his farewell game in round 24. Williams to stick with Cordy and Roughead this week against Hawthorn

Bulldog Joe
24-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Wood was on Butcher for most of the game. The height differential was obvious. Butcher was way too tall for him but also beat him in positioning and use of his body.

Not sure when if ever Barlow was his direct opponent except perhaps after the horse had bolted

Watched a replay of the game and it was definitely Barlow as the main opponent.
The 2 goals in the 2nd quarter Barlow was directly opposed.
In the 3rd quarter it looked like Wood was trying to cover after Butcher had been left alone and couldn't get to cover for a mark.

In the last Butcher was again opposed to Barlow for his first goal and then Wood was sent to him.

We were pretty poor through the middle in the last and Butcher got one from a good pass and another when Wood was trying to cover at least 2 Port players.

So 3 goals each on Barlow and Wood.

bornadog
24-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Watched a replay of the game and it was definitely Barlow as the main opponent.
The 2 goals in the 2nd quarter Barlow was directly opposed.
In the 3rd quarter it looked like Wood was trying to cover after Butcher had been left alone and couldn't get to cover for a mark.

In the last Butcher was again opposed to Barlow for his first goal and then Wood was sent to him.

We were pretty poor through the middle in the last and Butcher got one from a good pass and another when Wood was trying to cover at least 2 Port players.

So 3 goals each on Barlow and Wood.

Just proves Wood is too short and Barlow is not a defender,

Ghost Dog
25-08-2011, 12:56 AM

I believe the time will come when Wood is given a forward berth. Great athlete.

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 01:21 PM
So, what's the deal with Minson? Is he cooked as a Bulldogs player, or do you think he'll get a go next year, now that current wearer of The People's Beard is retiring? Does Minson need to grow a cool beard to get promoted?

bornadog
25-08-2011, 01:41 PM
So, what's the deal with Minson? Is he cooked as a Bulldogs player, or do you think he'll get a go next year, now that current wearer of The People's Beard is retiring? Does Minson need to grow a cool beard to get promoted?

I believe he will be number one ruck next year.

SlimPickens
25-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Number 1 Ruck to start next year, with hopefully Roughead and Cordy really pushing to take his spot. All dependent on the new coach but think he can be a solid contributor whilst the other 2 develop.

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 06:25 PM
So Hill in again what joy

GVGjr
25-08-2011, 06:40 PM

He played well last week so why not give him another go?

GVGjr
25-08-2011, 06:48 PM
It's a good question. He's been limited because of his inability to play well enough up forward and I'm not sure this won't be an issue for him again next season. He should be penciled in as the number one ruckman but it may not pan out that way.

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 07:00 PM
He played well last week so why not give him another go?

Hill is not our future I would rather play a kid that will have a go

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 07:02 PM

His tackling with Willi last week was fierce. He seemed like a different footballer....playing as if he wanted physical contact. If he takes that intensity into the seniors and doesn't let little things get him down, he will be a great addition to our side. I wonder if it's all in the head with Josh....hopefully we can discover the trick to getting the best out of him, and getting his confidence up....because on last week's effort, there's certainly a footballer there.

LongWait
25-08-2011, 07:03 PM

We do get the point Hughy - you don't rate Hill.

GVGjr
25-08-2011, 07:03 PM

He was certainly a spirited competitor last week.

chef
25-08-2011, 07:08 PM

Could have said the same thing about Gilbee under Rohde.

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 07:08 PM
His tackling with Willi last week was fierce. He seemed like a different footballer....playing as if he wanted physical contact. If he takes that intensity into the seniors and doesn't let little things get him down, he will be a great addition to our side. I wonder if it's all in the head with Josh....hopefully we can discover the trick to getting the best out of him, and getting his confidence up....because on last week's effort, there's certainly a footballer there.

Hope you are right ... but leopards and spots come to mind

chef
25-08-2011, 07:09 PM
He was certainly a spirited competitor last week.

Yep, deserves his chance.

Greystache
25-08-2011, 08:03 PM

I would have picked him this week too, he played well last week and deserves his chance.

I'd rather play Hill who has talent, rather than a player like Reid who has a red hot crack but isn't an AFL footballer.

Maddog37
25-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I think there is more upside in giving Hill a chance than letting him rot at Willy. The unfortunate byproduct is Howard goes out.

Hill can play, we all know that and last week he was very switched on but he will never be a rugged player.

bornadog
25-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I would have picked him this week too, he played well last week and deserves his chance.

I'd rather play Hill who has talent, rather than a player like Reid who has a red hot crack but isn't an AFL footballer.

Agree - Reid is just not going to cut it I am afraid.

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 12:57 AM
are you for f@#$ing real "hill deserves a chance" i think he has had his chance in the last few years.
It doesn't matter if he kicks 10 goals and 40 posessions this saturday he is not consistant.
Sorry he had his chance and didn't take it, it makes me sick to see stack,reid,addison emergencies and hill in.

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 01:11 AM

how do you know he is not an afl footballer he has not had chance, unlike hill he has had plenty of chances and proven he is not an afl footballer

Greystache
26-08-2011, 02:04 AM
how do you know he is not an afl footballer he has not had chance, unlike hill he has had plenty of chances and proven he is not an afl footballer

I've watched him play... A lot. He's about 15cm too short to play AFL, he moves and kicks like a ruckman but is the height of a midfielder.

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 02:35 AM
I've watched him play... A lot. He's about 15cm too short to play AFL, he moves and kicks like a ruckman but is the height of a midfielder.

Libba had the same problem.

Greystache
26-08-2011, 03:00 AM

Riiiight.... Game's a bit different in the professional era.

Bulldog Joe
26-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Libba's problem was only height and he made up for it by being the best tackler of his generation. He also found plenty of the footy and was effective with it.

Desipura
26-08-2011, 10:06 AM
are you for f@#$ing real "hill deserves a chance" i think he has had his chance in the last few years.
It doesn't matter if he kicks 10 goals and 40 posessions this saturday he is not consistant.
Sorry he had his chance and didn't take it, it makes me sick to see stack,reid,addison emergencies and hill in.
Hey cut the crap out Dale, youve been here 5 minutes and already shouting expletives.

soupman
26-08-2011, 10:59 AM

I understand why it's annoying to see someone with attitude problems like Hill given yet another chance, but surely you can recognise that ofd those 4 players Hill has easily the most potential.

This could be the wake up call he needs, where he finally starts applying himself at the level required to be the AFL player he has shown he can be, whether thats off a wing, up forward or even in defence.

We are at the stage now where we are picking players on what they could become, and Hill could become very impressive. I'm also a fan of Stack, and would likehim in the side, but as for Reid and Addison neither have shown that they have too much potential and even if they do, they don't add anything like what Hill potentially does. Both Addison and Reid, despite their endeavour, are of average pace, average skill and for me are really inferior to numerous other mids/flankers with similiar (and often better) attributes including Boyd, Cross, Ward, Picken, Liberatore, Wallis, Higgins, Giansiracusa etc.

Hill however is much more unique, and worst case scenario is we give another club one more games exposure to help them decide to trade for him, because at the moment his stocks can't go much lower.

1eyedog
26-08-2011, 11:16 AM
It's a good question. He's been limited because of his inability to play well enough up forward and I'm not sure this won't be an issue for him again next season. He should be penciled in as the number one ruckman but it may not pan out that way.

well that's what Fantasia was saying in Wednesday's age. He is required and at his best will be the No. 1 ruckman. Can he get back to his best and is that REALLY good enough?

Just trying to get picked so he can impress against Hawthorn and get some Buddy love next year.

Won't be such a bad thing for us if he plays well against them.

bornadog
26-08-2011, 02:06 PM

You can tell Reid doesn't possess any natural talent for footy. He was not brought up on the game and I think he just can't pick up the flow of the game. Some players from other backgrounds are natural athletes and can play any sport but Reid hasn't been able to do that.

At least Hill has the talent and when he shows some intensity he can really play. His main problem has been intensity and attitude and I don't know whether it was because he just didn't like Rocket. We don't all like our boss sometimes and we can then suck at our job if we have the wrong attitude.

LostDoggy
27-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Hey cut the crap out Dale, youve been here 5 minutes and already shouting expletives.

sorry! how long do i have to wait till i can vent my opinion!!

LostDoggy
27-08-2011, 12:33 AM
You can tell Reid doesn't possess any natural talent for footy. He was not brought up on the game and I think he just can't pick up the flow of the game. Some players from other backgrounds are natural athletes and can play any sport but Reid hasn't been able to do that.

At least Hill has the talent and when he shows some intensity he can really play. His main problem has been intensity and attitude and I don't know whether it was because he just didn't like Rocket. We don't all like our boss sometimes and we can then suck at our job if we have the wrong attitude.

Your probably right with Reid,Stack should have got a game.
Isn't todays game all about intensity & attitude?
Didn't like rocket? throw in imature & unprofessional!