PDA

View Full Version : Goodwin reportly front runner for WB coaching vacancy

Grantysghost
22-08-2011, 04:47 PM
ADELAIDE playing great Simon Goodwin is expected to become a front-runner in the selection of Western Bulldogs new coach to replace the departed Rodney Eade.

Goodwin, 34, is tipped to join hot favourite Leon Cameron and current Dogs caretaker Paul Williams in a short-list to be interviewed next month for the Bulldogs job.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/data/media/00000001/00006359/goodwin-preview.jpg

Link (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/08/22/goodwin-still-in-coach-hunt/)

Mantis
22-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Isn't he Fantasia's good friend?

Does that mean James will have to step back from his position on the selection committee?

bornadog
22-08-2011, 05:03 PM

Does that mean James will have to step back from his position on the selection committee?

Leon Cameron is also good friends with Fantasia.

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Surely we're not so pathetic that we will give the jobs to Fantasia's mate?

Go_Dogs
22-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Surely we're not so pathetic that we will give the jobs to Fantasia's mate?

Surely we are.

I just hope that whoever they select is based on performance, presentation etc and everyone goes through the same due process. I doubt our process is barely off the ground, so I'm sure these articles will pop up regularly after we speak to each potential candidate.

Grantysghost
22-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Agree these will be a dime a dozen just thought it interesting as havent seen a story re Goodwin. All this talk of Crows infiltration is gonna make me spew up to quote a ex dogs man!

Mantis
22-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Leon Cameron is also good friends with Fantasia.

I thought I heard that when Goodwin first moved to Melb he stayed with James until he got settled.... They are said to be very close.

I have no problems hiring Goodwin if he is the best candidate, but I wouldn't be happy with this decision if James was still on the selection committee.

bornadog
22-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I thought I heard that when Goodwin first moved to Melb he stayed with James until he got settled.... They are said to be very close.

I have no problems hiring Goodwin if he is the best candidate, but I wouldn't be happy with this decision if James was still on the selection committee.

I believe he will be on the committee along with Garlick, a personnel consultant (probably Laurie Serafini as he does a lot of these) and an interdependent football person (last time it was Walls).

chef
22-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Goodwin with Craig as a senior assistant maybe.

Ghost Dog
22-08-2011, 05:28 PM
I believe he will be on the committee along with Garlick, a personnel consultant (probably Laurie Serafini as he does a lot of these) and an interdependent football person (last time it was Walls).

Robert Bl**dy walls. he was just lucky with his premiership.
Read all about his supposed training methods and Loath his articles 95% of the time.
Get someone decent PLEASE

Leigh Matthews please

Bulldog Revolution
22-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Goodwin with Craig as a senior assistant maybe.

Yup, the Cro-Dogs

I like it!

azabob
22-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Robert Bl**dy walls. he was just lucky with his premiership.
Read all about his supposed training methods and Loath his articles 95% of the time.
Get someone decent PLEASE

Leigh Matthews please

Ghost Dog you do realise Walls was on the Commitee that hired Eade.

You do realise Walls told the club Eade would be the best man for the job.

Matthews is already on a committee either crows or melbourne (can't recall)

divvydan
22-08-2011, 06:40 PM
RalphyHeraldSun Jon Ralph
The great Chris Grant will join the Dogs coaching selection panel. Couldn't think of a better man. Dogs to announce it tonight. One more too

bornadog
22-08-2011, 06:43 PM
The great Chris Grant will join the Dogs coaching selection panel. Couldn't think of a better man. Dogs to announce it tonight. One more too

Tom Harley and Chris Grant

bornadog
22-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Mark Stevens (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tom-harley-and-chris-grant-join-western-bulldogs-coach-panel/story-e6frf9jf-1226119875465)

THE Western Bulldogs have appointed Tom Harley and Chris Grant to join its coach selection process.

Harley and Grant will play a key role in finding a replacement for Rodney Eade on a coaching sub-committee that also includes CEO Simon Garlick (chairman), football chief James Fantasia and board member Geoff Walsh.

President David Smorgon will not be part of the initial process, but as head of the board will have to tick off any decision.

LostDoggy

No one loves Granty more than I do but how is he 'independent'? Tom Harley comes across very well but he's:

a. never coached
b. never picked a coach

We're not only picking rookie coaches, we're picking rookie coach-pickers.

GVGjr

Protocol should ensure that Fantasia steps aside while his ex house mate is being interviewed.
I'd be very surprised that either James wouldn't offer to step aside or Smorgon wouldn't insist on it.

Absolutely needs to happen.

Maddog37
22-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Young selection panel would make me think we will end up with a younger coach.

Ghost Dog
22-08-2011, 07:13 PM
No one loves Granty more than I do but how is he 'independent'? Tom Harley comes across very well but he's:

a. never coached
b. never picked a coach

LOL! Very good.

azabob
22-08-2011, 07:13 PM

a. never coached
b. never picked a coach

Who would you like on the committee?

To me we have selected two men who have extensive playing careers and who have been coached by many different coaches.
One has had success at the highest level as a captain.

Ghost Dog
22-08-2011, 07:18 PM
So it needs to be someone not affiliated with any club, but with good experience

Gerard Healy
Lethal
Paul Roos
Not that many to choose from that are not linked to another club, with the right mix

Jason Akermanis? ^_^

Hey that bloke Eade, he knows a bit about coaching....

Rocco Jones
22-08-2011, 07:24 PM
I can see where you're coming from but if we are going to pick a rookie coach for a 'refreshing' approach, wouldn't getting a very senior coach on the panel be beside the point?

Also, is there any point getting any former coach than Lethal? Roos is so Sydney centric he'd sabotage us. The only other ex-coach with something to offer would be Eade but I think that would be a little awkward.

Grantysghost
22-08-2011, 08:07 PM
I can see where you're coming from but if we are going to pick a rookie coach for a 'refreshing' approach, wouldn't getting a very senior coach on the panel be beside the point?

Also, is there any point getting any former coach than Lethal? Roos is so Sydney centric he'd sabotage us. The only other ex-coach with something to offer would be Eade but I think that would be a little awkward.

I agree - the two chosen have a good understanding of the modern game, and analyse in a non emotional fashion in stark contrast to alot of other reactionary types. Maybe one other to give a bit of balance. Someone who's been there in the box like a David King maybe who is quite astute also.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2011, 08:08 PM
On conflicts of interest, how about Grant and Cameron? Came to he club together and played in the same team for a decade.

westdog54
22-08-2011, 08:19 PM

a. never coached
b. never picked a coach

Has he had much official involvement in the club since he retired. I think he's been out of the club's system long enough to come in with a balanced enough view.

Mantis
22-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Has he had much official involvement in the club since he retired. I think he's been out of the club's system long enough to come in with a balanced enough view.

He was up until the start of this season mentoring our young talls... I saw him at training a number of times last year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-08-2011, 08:57 PM
He was up until the start of this season mentoring our young talls... I saw him at training a number of times last year.

It would be hard to find two more respected people in football than Grant and Harley.Let's hope they are given every opportunity to play a significant role in the selection. The only prospect I would consider with a previous SA connection would be Scott Burns who is very highly regarded.

strebla
22-08-2011, 09:05 PM
How does this not surprise me if he gets the job I will fair dinkum spew up Fantasia should not be on the commitee he needs to be properly evaluated before he interviews one candidate!!!!

azabob
22-08-2011, 09:20 PM
If Goodwin gets the gig we will get a big told you so from Akermanis.

w3design
22-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Leon Cameron and Chris Grant jointly owned an AFL franchise at Highpoint didn't they?

Rocco Jones
22-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I am a teacher at a small school. My mate had an interview for his own job. Being the only other male on staff, I was had to part of the interview panel as part of merit & equity or whatever it is. Very odd experience!

G-Mo77
22-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Goodwin, the guy that said a couple of weeks ago he was staying at Essendon rather than going back to Adelaide? Very good mates with Fantasia as well. I don't know, something smells really bad here.

Rocco Jones
22-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Goodwin, the guy that said a couple of weeks ago he was staying at Essendon rather than going back to Adelaide? Very good mates with Fantasia as well. I don't know, something smells really bad here.

To feed your conspiracy, perhaps we threw Cameron out there as a big early favourite as a bit of a red herring to avoid Fantasia/what Aker said criticism.

1eyedog
23-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Sigh, now we have two lengthy waits with each conclusion potentially no better than the other.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Leon Cameron and Chris Grant jointly owned an AFL franchise at Highpoint didn't they?

Yes they did, I bought a flag for my daughter and got them both to sign it. She still has it somewhere.

G-Mo77
23-08-2011, 11:22 AM
To feed your conspiracy, perhaps we threw Cameron out there as a big early favourite as a bit of a red herring to avoid Fantasia/what Aker said criticism.

Don't feed my conspiracy theory. :p

I watched to much X-Files when I was young. "The Truth Is Out There"