PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward talks next week

bornadog
23-08-2011, 03:52 PM
By Kim Hagdorn (http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/08/23/callan-ward-talks-next-week/)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/art_svRICHGAME3-420x0.jpg

THE future of Callan Ward as a Western Bulldog could finally be decided next week with late season discussions on his contract.

Ward, 21, continues to weigh up whether to stay with the Dogs or accept a reported small fortune to head to new AFL franchise Greater Western Sydney Giants as a boutique first-up signing among as many as five uncontracted young stars.

Dogs management is also expected to move to the brink of new contracts for captain Matthew Boyd and big possession-winning midfielder Daniel Cross.

And it has emerged that appointment of a new Bulldogs senior coach could influence Ward’s decision to stay or go.

The Dogs and coach Rodney Eade parted ways heading into Round 22 with Ward now believed to be anxious for an indication on just who the new appointment will be, despite former assistant Leon Cameron being clear favourite for the job.

Eade revealed in a forthright interview on the AFL’s popular Footy Show a day after his controversial departure that he thought Ward would “probably go” to GWS.

Ward and his manager Paul Connors are expected to hold discussions with Bulldogs management after Round 23 and just days before the end of a disastrous season for the Dogs.

The Bulldogs last commitment for a season that opened with high hopes of another long finals campaign is against Fremantle in Melbourne on Saturday September 3.

It is understood the exciting Ward wants to be closer to a firm decision on his future before the Dogs complete their home-and-away commitments that has yielded only eight wins for a unit that played in the past three preliminary finals.

Boyd, 29, is understood to be in conflict with Dogs officials over his request for a new three-year deal.

Such late season negotiation between club management and the Dogs’ skipper has baffled many industry insiders.

It is believed Boyd has only been offered two more seasons despite an outstanding 2011 as Dogs skipper and a front-end contender to possibly win the Brownlow Medal.

The 183-game on-baller leads the competition on possessions with a staggering 631 at an average of 31 a game, with 11 outings among his 20 games this season stacking up more than 30 disposals.

Cross, 28, is also in dispute on demands for two more seasons and club authorities only offering one more year to the important midfield play-maker.

The Dogs have as many as eight players coming out of contract at the end of this season.

Rapidly improving defender Easton Wood, 21, is understood to have agreed to terms of what is expected to be a new deal.

Veteran utility Robert Murphy agreed in principle to a two-year extension of his colourful career at around the same time Dogs officials were deciding not to continue with Eade before Round 22.

Murphy, 29, wins his contract extension after a stirring season winning 397 possessions at an average of 21 touches a game through 19 outings mostly as a running-back defender.

He will vie with Boyd for the Dogs 2011 fairest-and-best award.

Mantis
23-08-2011, 04:17 PM
It sounds like our footy dept. are in for a couple of very interesting weeks with a number of hirings to be completed (coach, list manager, possibly assistant coaches) as well as having to re-sign up to 8 or 9 players.... I guess it's a case of watch this space.

But is it just me or are all our re-signings drawn out affairs these days?

Desipura
23-08-2011, 04:18 PM
I agree with Cross only being offered a one year contract and Boyd should not be offered a 3 year contract, 2 is more likely.

The Underdog
23-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I agree with Cross only being offered a one year contract and Boyd should not be offered a 3 year contract, 2 is more likely.

Yeah, that was my feel too. I'm with the club on those ones. Good to hear Wood looks like he'll stay and Murphy has signed for 2.

bornadog
23-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I wonder who the 8 are out of contract?

Ward
Wood
Boyd
Cross
Stack
?

The Underdog
23-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Ward
Wood
Boyd
Cross
Stack
?

Josh Hill?

Greystache
23-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Ward
Wood
Boyd
Cross
Stack
?

Howard
Tutt
Markovic

Cyberdoggie
23-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I thought Roughead was one?

will be relieved if Wood signs, although that could mean that Ward is definately going to GWS, as Wood would of been their next on our list.

immortalmike
23-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I thought Roughead was one?

will be relieved if Wood signs, although that could mean that Ward is definately going to GWS, as Wood would of been their next on our list.

Roughie's contract is up next year.

Mantis
23-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Howard
Tutt
Markovic

The article just posted on Tutt (Tutt backs himself....) has Jason stating that he is contracted for 2012.

Greystache
23-08-2011, 04:58 PM
The article just posted on Tutt (Tutt backs himself....) has Jason stating that he is contracted for 2012.

I can't see how that can be correct, unless he re-signed for one year without it being made public. Draftees automatically get a 2 year contract, so he, Howard, and Markovic should all be out of contract this season.

Ozza
23-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Agree with this.

Crossy has been tremendous, but he needs to be looked at on a year by year basis - its not unforeseeable that his status as a regular senior player could diminish very quickly - particularly considering Wal and Libba are somewhat similar types on the way up.

Hopefully we can lock Boydy away for 2 years. 2 solid years will get him at least another year easily.

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Agree with this.

Crossy has been tremendous, but he needs to be looked at on a year by year basis - its not unforeseeable that his status as a regular senior player could diminish very quickly - particularly considering Wal and Libba are somewhat similar types on the way up.

Hopefully we can lock Boydy away for 2 years. 2 solid years will get him at least another year easily.

I also see it from Boyd's point of view, as any injury at his age could see him “retired” early, even if he had the ability to play on. Especially in a period of “refreshing” the list. The security of a 3 year deal would be very important to a bloke at 29.

Maddog37
23-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Sounds like the club is being prudent with these decisions. I agree with this approach as the game is changing rapidly from year to year.

chef
23-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Happy the are only offering Cross 1 year, but Boyd should get 3 IMO. Can't wait for Ward to put me out of my misery.

divvydan
23-08-2011, 06:24 PM
I can't see how that can be correct, unless he re-signed for one year without it being made public. Draftees automatically get a 2 year contract, so he, Howard, and Markovic should all be out of contract this season.

It's possible it might've gone unnoticed publicly. I wouldn't be shocked if they did this to ensure GWS wouldn't be able to after him at the end of last year, being from Canberra.

Doc26
23-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Agree Desi. Can understand Boyd seeking 3 years but 2 years would seem more prudent and reasonable from the Club's viewpoint.

Sedat
23-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Fear not, our head of football operations is on the case :rolleyes:

Prince Imperial
23-08-2011, 07:23 PM
The club would be well aware given Gilbee and Hargrave still being under contract for 2012 of the problems long contracts for old players can create. Gilbee would be delisted for sure at the end of this year whilst there would be at least some thoughts of it for Hargrave given his last two years.

I support the club's approach as listed in the article.

I would have thought Grant would be out of contract as well given this is his 4th year. I don't think he would have been given a three year contract after his first two years at the club.

mjp
23-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Agree Desi. Can understand Boyd seeking 3 years but 2 years would seem more prudent and reasonable from the Club's viewpoint.

RANT WARNING!!!

To everyone saying Boyd only 'deserves' two years and Cross should only get one...do you understand why players (like Harbrow, and potentially Ward) leave clubs for an extra dollar somewhere else when in their prime?

Of course the club only want to give him two years...because in two years they will hold a complete whip-hand when it comes to his next contract. We can't have it both ways people - demanding loyalty on one hand then giving the short shrift on the other end. Boyd is skipper and might win the B&F (again), Crossy has been top 3 in the B&F since forever and will probably be top 5 again this year. Boyd is entitled to think he should get a 3 year deal...the same for Crossy with 2 years. But it would be 'irresponsible' of the club to honor these wishes...it wouldn't make smart business sense. But then, it wouldn't make smart 'business' sense for Ward to turn down the GWS millions either - but apparently he should stay out of loyalty, love of his mates and most of all, love of the club.

I get the arguments, but it seems to me that many of us say it is or isn't a business depending on the situation...if you believe the club is right in limiting the offers to Boyd and Cross, then to me that is the same as encouraging Ward to bolt for the cash now.

The Underdog
23-08-2011, 08:28 PM
RANT WARNING!!!

To everyone saying Boyd only 'deserves' two years and Cross should only get one...do you understand why players (like Harbrow, and potentially Ward) leave clubs for an extra dollar somewhere else when in their prime?

Of course the club only want to give him two years...because in two years they will hold a complete whip-hand when it comes to his next contract. We can't have it both ways people - demanding loyalty on one hand then giving the short shrift on the other end. Boyd is skipper and might win the B&F (again), Crossy has been top 3 in the B&F since forever and will probably be top 5 again this year. Boyd is entitled to think he should get a 3 year deal...the same for Crossy with 2 years. But it would be 'irresponsible' of the club to honor these wishes...it wouldn't make smart business sense. But then, it wouldn't make smart 'business' sense for Ward to turn down the GWS millions either - but apparently he should stay out of loyalty, love of his mates and most of all, love of the club.

I get the arguments, but it seems to me that many of us say it is or isn't a business depending on the situation...if you believe the club is right in limiting the offers to Boyd and Cross, then to me that is the same as encouraging Ward to bolt for the cash now.

I fully understand and expect that Ward will leave for the money. what I hate is the AFL have created the uneven playing field that means we have no ability to match an unrealistic offer.

Dancin' Douggy
23-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Funnily enough this press release gives me hope that he may stay.
He isn't sitting on a secret.

Go_Dogs
23-08-2011, 08:54 PM
It sounds like our footy dept. are in for a couple of very interesting weeks with a number of hirings to be completed (coach, list manager, possibly assistant coaches) as well as having to re-sign up to 8 or 9 players.... I guess it's a case of watch this space.

Have we been working to any sort of plan over the course of the season? Seems like we've left a lot of things to the last minute and are now in a mad rush.

Rocco Jones
23-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Totally agree mjp. Those wanting to send Crossy to the glue factory post haste can't expect loyalty from guns in their prime.

Maddog37
23-08-2011, 09:15 PM
One year contracts for 30 plus year olds should be the norm. It is a time when a dramatic drop of in pace etc can happen quickly.

Dazza
23-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Agree with Maddog. If they are 30 they should be 1 year prospects. Especially with the current state the list is in.

Remi Moses
23-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Agree loyalty is a two way street, but we do have a salary cap and have to balance the books.Cross has had an ordinary season, and the age factor will determine his contract.

LostDoggy
23-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Agree loyalty is a two way street, but we do have a salary cap and have to balance the books.Cross has had an ordinary season, and the age factor will determine his contract.

And we want to introduce new blood ..... players that can run AND kick. Good assets to have in AFL football if you want to keep your career in check.

I hope the club doesnt sign any of the questionables until a new coach is appointed and he can put his thgoughts on who stays and who goes.

Mantis
23-08-2011, 09:53 PM
One year contracts for 30 plus year olds should be the norm. It is a time when a dramatic drop of in pace etc can happen quickly.

How is that statement relevant to this discussion?

Daniel Cross is the only player who has been offered a 1yr contract and he is only 28.... He will be 29 just before rd 1 next year.

GVGjr
23-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I think we can all understand the position Ward is in. His preference would be to stay at the Dogs but it's a great once in a life time offer that has been presented to him.
I have no idea what his decision will be but the timing of the announcement is a curious one.

Is it to give the fans a chance to say farewell?

bornadog
23-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I think we can all understand the position Ward is in. His preference would be to stay at the Dogs but it's a great once in a life time offer that has been presented to him.
I have no idea what his decision will be but the timing of the announcement is a curious one.

Good point as he is insisting the deal is done before the last round.

azabob
23-08-2011, 10:25 PM

If he thinks it's a chance to say farewell it could go very wrong. Not only could the fans turn on him, the MC may not even pick him.

GVGjr
23-08-2011, 10:27 PM
What a great story it would be if decides to stick with us. It would be regarded by the fans as highly as Chris Grants decision to stay with us after turning down a similar massive offer. You can't put a price or a dollar value on the reputation that would bring you.

Mantis
23-08-2011, 10:28 PM
If he thinks it's a chance to say farewell it could go very wrong. Not only could the fans turn on him, the MC may not even pick him.

If he is going I wouldn't be playing him.

I would much prefer his spot went to Wallis.... or anyone else who will be there next year.

immortalmike
23-08-2011, 10:33 PM

If that's the case he knows nothing about Bulldogs supporters...

GVGjr
23-08-2011, 10:37 PM
If that's the case he knows nothing about Bulldogs supporters...

I seem to recall the majority of people here wanting Harbrow to hold his spot last year when it was as good as a done deal. I suppose the only difference is that we were still in the finals hunt.

Rocco Jones
23-08-2011, 10:42 PM
If he is going I wouldn't be playing him.

I would much prefer his spot went to Wallis.... or anyone else who will be there next year.

Totally agree. Not only would it be better for our future, I also think it's a bit insulting to our fans and belittling to the club to give him a send off. I won't really blame him but a 'send off'? That's the other extreme.

Rocco Jones
23-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I seem to recall the majority of people here wanting Harbrow to hold his spot last year when it was as good as a done deal. I suppose the only difference is that we were still in the finals hunt.

Finals makes the difference. We played him to help us, not him.

Mantis
23-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Finals makes the difference. We played him to help us, not him.

+1..

Greystache
23-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Sounds like the same line of thinking Terry Wallace had before heading off to take his new job in Sydney, we all saw how that was received by the players and supporters.

If Callan is planning to announce he's leaving he may want to reconsider his timeline.

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Agree with Maddog. If they are 30 they should be 1 year prospects. Especially with the current state the list is in.

Adelaide thought this was a great idea, until we took Hudson and Welsh off them

Remi Moses
24-08-2011, 12:19 AM

You have to be kidding!
Didn't Wallace want to do the same thing?
He'd be a very silly boy if he thinks we're all going to cheer as he sails into the sunset.:mad:

FrediKanoute
24-08-2011, 08:37 AM

It sounds to me as though our footy department is in a mess. No coach. Key players unsigned. A key position of list manager not even close to being filled. A football manager that has been at odds with the coach for a long period of time. A President whose judgement is being questioned. Its not good. This on top of the poor handling of the Aker affair last year, the loss of Harborw and likely loss of Ward. I'm worried, really worried.

It starts at the top. From the President down to the CEO down to the Coach to the playing group, our leadership sucks, big time. Over the last few years we seem to have lurched from disaster to disaster culminating in the sacking of Eade on the back of a poor season, with the club facing the reality of trying to rebuild in an era of compromised drafts and impending free agency. Did we not see this coming? Were the club that naive? Did we lack this much vision? Have we pannicked?

chef
24-08-2011, 08:41 AM
How much can we spend outside of the cap?

1eyedog
24-08-2011, 01:12 PM
RANT WARNING!!!

This is the pot calling the kettle black ala the possible West interviews at the club. Loyalty at the football club is not conditional regardless of whether you are a current or past player in need.

The Coon Dog
24-08-2011, 01:16 PM
This is the pot calling the kettle black ala the possible West interviews at the club. Loyalty at the football club is not conditional regardless of whether you are a current or past player in need.

There's a bit of a difference between giving a former player an interview & re-negotiating an existing player's contract. Actually there's a big difference.

1eyedog
24-08-2011, 01:26 PM
There's a bit of a difference between giving a former player an interview & re-negotiating an existing player's contract. Actually there's a big difference.

I know. But it's a matter of general principle for me, hence the username. I know it's a shortcoming but I don't see the difference as much as you or mjp.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 02:02 PM
RANT WARNING!!!

Amen. I'm as sick of hearing idiots rave about how "poor" Cross has been as I am of hearing the Gia-bagging idiots. The man gives 100% every week. EVERY week I sit and shake my head at just how awesome his intensity is. He deserves our total commitment back.

If he takes a massive nose-dive in ability and impact next year, I'll eat my words, but importantly the club needs to show some loyalty, especially now we're “refreshing” and players will be tempted to go chase some flags. It's a totally different climate in our club now than the previous few years.

Adelaide thought this was a great idea, until we took Hudson and Welsh off them

Exactly. Contracts are double-edged blades.

Remi Moses
24-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Nobody ever doubts The Daniel Cross effort. His output has been down this season, that's a fact.The fact that he's 30, with Libba and Wallis looking over his shadow means he'd probably get a 1 year deal. The club's got a salary cap and TPP to consider and the Future to look at.

Mofra
24-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Nobody ever doubts The Daniel Cross effort. His output has been down this season, that's a fact.The fact that he's 30, with Libba and Wallis looking over his shadow means he'd probably get a 1 year deal.
He's 28

I'm comfortable with 3 years to Boyd & 2 years to Cross - they've been good to us and are some of the hardest workers at the club.

Giving 3 years to a fringe player at, say, Geelong, when we would trade in a "hypothetical" player would be a much sillier decision to make...

mjp
24-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I know. But it's a matter of general principle for me, hence the username. I know it's a shortcoming but I don't see the difference as much as you or mjp.

I was in outcry over the way West was retired...I see the coaching interview thing as completely different.

Maybe I have been overly simplistic over the West coaching interview thing - I don't know. As I said though, I am happy for him to be interviewed if we are considering him...if not, we shouldn't be giving him one out of courtesy. I actually see doing that (interviewing only out of courtesy) that as disrespectful and misleading to someone who has been a great servant.

BulldogBelle
24-08-2011, 05:42 PM
And with Cross, as he ages, he isn't exactly going to get much slower or lose much more kicking penetration.

Barring a serious injury, or his body falls apart due to his willingness to run in front of a truck every single game he plays, he's still got plenty of football left in him. And ideally we'll slowely transition him out and our younger mids in over a period of time.

the banker
24-08-2011, 06:33 PM
It sounds to me as though our footy department is in a mess. No coach. Key players unsigned. A key position of list manager not even close to being filled. A football manager that has been at odds with the coach for a long period of time. A President whose judgement is being questioned. Its not good. This on top of the poor handling of the Aker affair last year, the loss of Harborw and likely loss of Ward. I'm worried, really worried.

It starts at the top. From the President down to the CEO down to the Coach to the playing group, our leadership sucks, big time. Over the last few years we seem to have lurched from disaster to disaster culminating in the sacking of Eade on the back of a poor season, with the club facing the reality of trying to rebuild in an era of compromised drafts and impending free agency. Did we not see this coming? Were the club that naive? Did we lack this much vision? Have we pannicked?

Fredi, with respect, think you have panicked with this post.

ledge
24-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Our dreadlocked one apparently told the West Footscray football club Ward had gone.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Our dreadlocked one apparently told the West Footscray football club Ward had gone.

Noooooooooo! Eff this.

Maddog37
24-08-2011, 08:53 PM
If we get two draft picks I almost think it could be a positive for the club long term. Lots of if buts and maybes in the draft I know but if we get it right we could come out in front.

Ward leaving is a kick in the guts especially when the Pies etc do not lose anyone but we need to move on and take the positives out of it.

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 01:40 AM
If we get two draft picks I almost think it could be a positive for the club long term. Lots of if buts and maybes in the draft I know but if we get it right we could come out in front.

Ward leaving is a kick in the guts especially when the Pies etc do not lose anyone but we need to move on and take the positives out of it.

Didn't we get Ward from a draft pick given to us when a player left our club??? Then now he has developed and become something great, he might be leaving right before his prime years and we are getting offered more lottery tickets, which may or may not pan out?

boydogs
25-08-2011, 02:30 AM
And with Cross, as he ages, he isn't exactly going to get much slower or lose much more kicking penetration.

Just because his peak isn't high doesn't mean he'll be at it for longer. He will progressively get worse in these areas, which will create an even greater weakness for the opposition to expose.