PDA

View Full Version : 8 Re-Signings & 2 Retirements

The Coon Dog
24-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Mark Stevens is reporting that Tom Williams, Easton Wood, Jarrod Grant, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis, Jason Tutt & Liam Picken are seven of the eight that have re-signed.

Callan Ward is not one of the 8 according to Stevo.

Mitch Hahn & Ben Hudson to retire.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/veteran-western-bulldog-ben-hudson-calls-it-quits/story-e6frf9jf-1226121083110)

The Pie Man
24-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I can picture the Beard getting a run against Freo for a farewell, what about Hahn? Can we play him now (or would we?)

Great news about the signings, in particular Wood.

ledge
24-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Mitch doesnt surprise me but as much as a few on here think Hudson should go I am surprised and think the club pushed him a little but respectfully.
Thanks to both of them really enjoyed watching them play for us.

Smorgon might be right with heading in a certain direction as soon as Eade has gone all these re-signings, maybe it says something about some players being over the Eade coaching ways?

The Pie Man
24-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Schofield is the 8th signing I believe

Swoop
24-08-2011, 12:46 PM
I would be surprised if Hudson is given another game, despite what has been a fantastic contribution in an area we were lacking prior to his arrival. Williams is obviously under instructions to develop as many kids as we can in the limited time he has this season. Rightly or wrongly I see no benefit to the clubs long term future in giving Hudson a farewell game ahead of Roughead.

Murphy'sLore
24-08-2011, 12:50 PM
The Beard is dead...

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Re: 8 Re-Signings & 2 Retirements
The Beard is dead...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 12:59 PM
re: 8 re-signings & 2 retirements
the beard is dead...

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ledge
24-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Interesting with Liberatore and Wallis being signed with another year still to run, does GWS get to take more players at the end of next season?
Would like to know how many years all these players have been signed for.
I am a bit nieve with the rookie rules but can we put them on contracts for future years, because we do get first choice on them dont we anyway?
Also if they are promoted to our senior list during the year does that automatically put them on the list for future years if we want them or do they just drop off the list at end of the year?

Topdog
24-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Smorgon might be right with heading in a certain direction as soon as Eade has gone all these re-signings, maybe it says something about some players being over the Eade coaching ways?

a serious long bow to draw and extremely disrespectful to both the players and Eade.

Contracts don't take 5 days to get signed.

The Coon Dog
24-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Interesting with Liberatore and Wallis being signed with another year still to run, does GWS get to take more players at the end of next season?
I am a bit nieve with the rookie rules but can we put them on contracts for future years, because we do get first choice on them dont we anyway?
Also if they are promoted to our senior list during the year does that automatically put them on the list for future years if we want them or do they just drop off the list at end of the year?

Yes, GWS can have a dip at uncontracted players next year also.

No, we can't put rookies on contracts for future years.

There is a fixed period of time that a rookie can remain a rookie, they are either delisted or moved onto the main list.

If they are elevated during the year, its only for a limited time (long term injury etc..) & at the end of the season they revert back to rookie status. We can elevate them if we want at the National Draft (as we did last year with Andrew Hooper).

westdog54
24-08-2011, 01:14 PM

Yes they do.

If they don't get Ward they'll just keep shopping with whoever is out of contract next year.

We can retain Rookies for two seasons, then we must elevate them to the senior list or they go back into the draft.

Players promoted during the season to cover an LTI go back onto the Rookie list, we have to make the decision to elevate them permanently at Season's end. As a general rule players elevated during the season who make an impression will automatically elevated.

You'd think Dahlhaus would be elevated. Barlow will be interesting. Hahn is going and Panos and Prato probably will drop off.

EDIT: DAMN YOU COON DOG!! Thought I'd got one past you for once!!

1eyedog
24-08-2011, 01:15 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't fear, Richmond will of course offer him a year.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 01:20 PM
And thank you to the Coneheads for giving us the Beard for 4 years and 87 games, all at maximum effort for the club

A great competitor.

ledge
24-08-2011, 01:32 PM
a serious long bow to draw and extremely disrespectful to both the players and Eade.

Contracts don't take 5 days to get signed.

It only takes 2 seconds to sign it though.
I am not saying its true but seems its all happened at once, I think it was Murphy who signed the same day Eade was sacked.
I liked Eade, also the players of course but most coaches have a use by date and become stale as much as Eade was a good bloke its not a long a bow to draw.
food for thought I suppose.
Its more the directions the club see and Eade had that were different that confuses me.
If the players are signing now obviously they are happy with the Smorgon direction.
Whether they would have signed if Eade was still there only the players know.

Murphy'sLore
24-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Now the big question is: who will take over as guardian of the People's Beard?

ledge
24-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Don't fear, Richmond will of course offer him a year.

Another under 20 draft pick on its way to us.

ledge
24-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Yes, GWS can have a dip at uncontracted players next year also.

No, we can't put rookies on contracts for future years.

There is a fixed period of time that a rookie can remain a rookie, they are either delisted or moved onto the main list.

If they are elevated during the year, its only for a limited time (long term injury etc..) & at the end of the season they revert back to rookie status. We can elevate them if we want at the National Draft (as we did last year with Andrew Hooper).

Thanks TCD
We have to turn over so many each year are they classed as one?

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Goodbye to The Beard, a wonderful contributer to the Bulldogs whilst he was here. I hope he gets a final game V Fremantle. :(

Easton Wood has re-signed - YAY!! :)

The Coon Dog
24-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Lets assume we've budgeted to spend approx $450K on Callan Ward next season.

Now, if he elects to depart, how do we handle this from a salary cap perspective? Do we give a bit more to existing players, or use it as a lure to attract someone from another club?

There is also the thought that we aren't budgeting to pay Callan a cent as we know he's gone & have/are currently spending that money hence today's announcement.

bornadog
24-08-2011, 02:08 PM
The Bulldogs also announced the re-signing of eight players: Easton Wood, Liam Picken, Tom Williams, Jarrad Grant, Jayden Schofield, Jason Tutt and father-son recruits Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis.

ledge
24-08-2011, 02:11 PM
I tend to think the last point is untrue.
Hopefully we use the money to find a good CHB, not that I know any.
My opinion is it could be a godsend as we have quite a good group of Callams type, release him releases the money for us to get a decent KPP.

bornadog
24-08-2011, 03:11 PM
Twitter - Jen Witham

Ben Hudson will get his farewell game in round 24. Williams to stick with Cordy and Roughead this week against Hawthorn

I hope a few show up for the last game to farewell Bazza and Huddo.

Topdog
24-08-2011, 03:29 PM
It only takes 2 seconds to sign it though.
I am not saying its true but seems its all happened at once, I think it was Murphy who signed the same day Eade was sacked.
I liked Eade, also the players of course but most coaches have a use by date and become stale as much as Eade was a good bloke its not a long a bow to draw.
food for thought I suppose.
Its more the directions the club see and Eade had that were different that confuses me.
If the players are signing now obviously they are happy with the Smorgon direction.
Whether they would have signed if Eade was still there only the players know.

You don't think it is a long bow to draw? Seriously? It's downright disrespectful to the players and Eade. There is no info to suggest that any of the 8 (9 inc. Murphy) were unhappy with Eade.
So you think if they were unhappy with the Eade sacking that they would not sign a new contract? Again another bit of baseless speculation.

Hot_Doggies
24-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Now, if he elects to depart, how do we handle this from a salary cap perspective? Do we give a bit more to existing players, or use it as a lure to attract someone from another club?

There is also the thought that we aren't budgeting to pay Callan a cent as we know he's gone & have/are currently spending that money hence today's announcement.

That's crazy talk!

Save the cash, draft kids is the only way.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 03:57 PM
That's crazy talk!

Save the cash, draft kids is the only way.

What is crazy about it?

Use the cash to recruit a ready made player and invest in the kids too through the draft.

Hot_Doggies
24-08-2011, 03:59 PM
What is crazy about it?

Use the cash to recruit a ready made player and invest in the kids too through the draft.

Keep the picks and entice a 'ready made' player with $450k?

Players like Sherman, DJ and VEz?

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 04:22 PM

Ummmm $450,000 pa will buy you a far better player than those you mention. You might even get one the equivalent of Ward. Now wouldn't that be something?:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Great news on thos e re-signings, key pups all round.

Huddo has been a super competitor, cheers big fella; right decision, right time ala Hall. (something we havent done well in recent history)

divvydan
24-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Maybe leave a gap in the salary cap and use $450k on a list manger, new equipment, additional medical staff, then have it open at the end of 2012 when free agency comes in to give us more options then.

Hot_Doggies
24-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Ummmm $450,000 pa will buy you a far better player than those you mention. You might even get one the equivalent of Ward. Now wouldn't that be something?:rolleyes:

How would you entice a player without using draft picks?

Even with free agency the player would be 25yrs plus, we are better off to rebuild.

Boyd,Gia and co have missed out unfortunately

Desipura
24-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I am still annoyed we did not get more games into Roughy as during the course of the year it was obvious Huddo was on his last legs.

Even if Roughy's form was not great at Willi, we had an opportunity to pump more games into him. Next year he will be expected to carry alot of the ruckwork, the more experience he would have gained at senior level the better equipped he would be in 2012.

Maddog37
24-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Roughy was out of form/injured a fair bit though wasn't he?

Maddog37
24-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Wher is Howards contract at?

bornadog
24-08-2011, 06:17 PM
I am still annoyed we did not get more games into Roughy as during the course of the year it was obvious Huddo was on his last legs.

Even if Roughy's form was not great at Willi, we had an opportunity to pump more games into him. Next year he will be expected to carry alot of the ruckwork, the more experience he would have gained at senior level the better equipped he would be in 2012.

Don't forget he had a shoulder injury mid year.

Rance Fan
24-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I reckon Hargrave and Gilbee should finish up too!
Time to move on.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 09:32 PM

DJ, granted, played ok in the last game.
Vezpremi is a bit of a Brodie Moles clone. Jury is out
With Sherman, I think we know what we get. Against certain opposition
he may be ok, but his brain fades are really f*** annoying.
Trade anyone?

Mantis
24-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Vezpremi is a bit of a Brodie Moles clone. Jury is out

Vez is nothing like Moles.

With Sherman, I think we know what we get. Against certain opposition he may be ok, but his brain fades are really f*** annoying.
Trade anyone?

Arguably his best game of the year was against the best team in the competition so I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2011, 10:54 PM

Arguably his best game of the year was against the best team in the competition so I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

His best two games IMO were
- Collingwood game at the G
- Big game vs Freo @ Subi that was tight all night

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 11:19 PM

Going for the soccer goal, when it should have been in the air. ( V eagles, from memory and not the first time IIRC )
Racial taunts, which put him out of our line up for 4 weeks.

azabob
24-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Going for the soccer goal, when it should have been in the air. ( V eagles, from memory and not the first time IIRC )
Racial taunts, which put him out of our line up for 4 weeks.

You also questioned his performance against top teams. Mantis & RJ pointed out he went ok V pies and dockers.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 11:42 PM
You also questioned his performance against top teams. Mantis & RJ pointed out he went ok V pies and dockers.

No I didn't.

I said certain opposition. Not lesser.

When the match up demands it and we need a smaller forward line he will be great.
But we now have Tutt, Dahlhaus and Sherman, plus Hooper if he can make it, and we need him to as he has another year on his contract.

gohardorgohome
24-08-2011, 11:43 PM
I have always been big fan of the beard. He has been great for the club. I hope this means that we keep Will Minson. Will is a true tap ruckman. (Minson and Cooney have been awesome at times with centre clearances). The sub rule has really been hinderance to his career.

You never know Roughy may develop into good key forward.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 11:44 PM

Read below. Certain not lesser.
Have quite a few small to smallish forwards now. Not always going to work. Sometimes it will.

Mantis
25-08-2011, 09:16 AM
No I didn't.

I said certain opposition. Not lesser.

When the match up demands it and we need a smaller forward line he will be great.
But we now have Tutt, Dahlhaus and Sherman, plus Hooper if he can make it, and we need him to as he has another year on his contract.

So which teams are you referencing when you say 'certain'?

Cyberdoggie
25-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Perhaps one like Jade Rawlings?

We don't have a good record in drafting big name players.
:(

Mofra
25-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Perhaps one like Jade Rawlings?

We don't have a good record in drafting big name players.
:(
In recent times, wouldn't the only two big name plyers we have drafted/traded be Barry Hall and Aker?

Aker was good for 3 seasons, and Bazza has been good for us as well.

Hot_Doggies
25-08-2011, 01:18 PM
In recent times, wouldn't the only two big name plyers we have drafted/traded be Barry Hall and Aker?

Aker was good for 3 seasons, and Bazza has been good for us as well.

Agreed.

We are at a different stage now though. 'Premiership window' has slammed shut, time to use draft picks and take the long road back.

Desipura
25-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Anyone know Sydney's Sam Reid contract status?
I would offer him Wards contract

the banker
25-08-2011, 03:38 PM

Rocco Jones
25-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Mitch Clark? Gives up a tall forward + 2nd ruck.

Woops, wrong thread!

GVGjr
25-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Whats in it for the Swans? Regardless of his contract and even if he wanted to come to us the Swans will rightly want a fair bit for him.

Desipura
26-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Mitch Clark? Gives up a tall forward + 2nd ruck.

Woops, wrong thread!

Asking for $650k, tell him hes dreaming, back to Sam Reid of Sydney;)

Desipura
26-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Whats in it for the Swans? Regardless of his contract and even if he wanted to come to us the Swans will rightly want a fair bit for him.

We give them the Ward pick and a player. We are crying out for a mobile kpp so I would be willing to pay overs for him

mjp
26-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Asking for $650k, tell him hes dreaming, back to Sam Reid of Sydney;)

I think he might get it.

soupman
26-08-2011, 06:32 PM
We give them the Ward pick and a player. We are crying out for a mobile kpp so I would be willing to pay overs for him

Sydney would rate Sam Reid just as highly if not higher than we rate Liam Jones.

Would you take the offer you are presenting for Jones?

Desipura
26-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Sydney would rate Sam Reid just as highly if not higher than we rate Liam Jones.

Would you take the offer you are presenting for Jones?

Sam Reid is ahead of Jones in his development and does not just rely on his marking has a few more tricks. Reid tends to read the play better and is often at the drop of the ball. His kicking needs a fair bit of work just like Jones's.

I'm hoping Jones can build his tank to the point where he can run off his defender on a lead.
At this stage, no I would not pay 450k for Jones

GVGjr
26-08-2011, 09:13 PM

We had the chance to draft him and didn't want him and I think the Swans would rightly now want any potential suitor to pay over the odds to pry him from them. Do they need more draft picks?

Doc26
26-08-2011, 09:39 PM
If Reid was to seek a return to Melbourne, which I doubt, I suggest it would not be to us but more likely to Collingwood or possibly some other powerhouse.

I really don't know of one player on our list or trade pick that would now have Sydney contemplate trading for him. Just seems a fanciful suggestion, guess we can still dream. Unfortunately the horse has bottled, and we and many others missed our chance.

soupman
26-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Sam Reid is ahead of Jones in his development and does not just rely on his marking has a few more tricks. Reid tends to read the play better and is often at the drop of the ball. His kicking needs a fair bit of work just like Jones's.

I'm hoping Jones can build his tank to the point where he can run off his defender on a lead.
At this stage, no I would not pay 450k for Jones

I was referring to the deal you would offer Sydney, not Sam Reid.

Desipura
27-08-2011, 11:49 AM
We had the chance to draft him and didn't want him and I think the Swans would rightly now want any potential suitor to pay over the odds to pry him from them. Do they need more draft picks?

He is a Victorian and his dad and uncle played for us, that's a starting point.
Look, I do not even know if he is out of contract, it would be a huge get on our behalf!

Mofra
27-08-2011, 01:10 PM
If Reid was to seek a return to Melbourne, which I doubt, I suggest it would not be to us but more likely to Collingwood or possibly some other powerhouse.

I really don't know of one player on our list or trade pick that would now have Sydney contemplate trading for him. Just seems a fanciful suggestion, guess we can still dream. Unfortunately the horse has bottled, and we and many others missed our chance.
Bingo. Asking for the type of player you can build a side around is all well and good in theory, but they generally only leave in exceptional circumstances - Judd, Ablett and Buckley are the last big ones, and in KPP terms Lockett & Hall to Sydney both were huge trades in picks & dollars.