PDA

View Full Version : the Beard calls it a day

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 01:27 PM
The Western Bulldogs have lost a stalwart ruckman, but re-signed a glut of young guns.

Tom Williams, Easton Wood, Jarrad Grant, Tom Liberatore, Jayden Schofield, Mitch Wallis, Jason Tutt and Liam Picken have re-committed to the Bulldogs, giving the club a boost two weeks after it failed to extend the contract of respected coach Rodney Eade.

There is no indication that highly promising midfielder Callan Ward, a target of expansion team GWS, has signed with the Bulldogs.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hudson-retires-but-young-bulldogs-resign-20110824-1j96t.html#ixzz1VuQ3RkOZ

Huddo! The old warhorse hangs up the boots.

G-Mo77
24-08-2011, 01:32 PM
He's been a very good pickup for us. One of the most underrated Ruckmen over the last few years and at his time with Adelaide. Thanks Huddo.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 01:48 PM
My head knew it was coming. My heart still denies it.

Long Live The Beard!

ledge
24-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Time for the Dahlhaus hair to take over, one mans beard is another mans locks.

SlimPickens
24-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Right call IMO, has been very good for our footy club.

All the best Huddo!

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Huddo and The People's Beard have been great for the Bulldogs. I hope we get to farewell them at the last game. :)

firstdogonthemoon
24-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Just because Ben Hudson is retiring doesn't mean The Beard is. I haven't heard anything from the club about that. I'm assuming The Beard will play on at the dogs next year (although I have heard rumours GWS are circling).

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Maybe the beard can migrate to another chin. I think Tutt, just to confirm his awesomeness.

The Pie Man
24-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Just because Ben Hudson is retiring doesn't mean The Beard is. I haven't heard anything from the club about that. I'm assuming The Beard will play on at the dogs next year (although I have heard rumours GWS are circling).

Given their interest in Wards hair, I'm not surprised

Mofra
24-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Roughy looks too baby-faced - can he grow facial hair?
That would make a nice home for the beard.

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Going to be a sad last game - Thanks Huddo

Remi Moses
24-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks to the Beard wholehearted and very underrated player.
Great sledger apparently. Thanks Huddo

Bulldog Revolution
24-08-2011, 04:36 PM
The only disappointment is that we didn't have him for his whole career

Thanks Huddo

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 04:53 PM
What's more disappointing is I really liked my Avatar

Bulldog4life
24-08-2011, 05:57 PM
What's more disappointing is I really liked my Avatar

I have an ex-player in my Avatar.:)

LostDoggy
24-08-2011, 06:07 PM
My head knew it was coming. My heart still denies it.

Long Live The Beard!

Ditto...... I will still wear my People's Beard scarf with pride!

Thanks Huddo - it's been a great ride :)

AndrewP6
24-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Fare thee well, The People's Beard. Gave his all for our club, and has been a great asset to the side. As a side note, I propose that the foyer at Whitten Oval be renamed henceforth "The Ben Hudson's Beard Foyer".*

Boy, round 24 is going to be emotional. Let's send Baz and The Beard off with a bang!

* I was joking. Sort of.

AndrewP6
24-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Ditto...... I will still wear my People's Beard scarf with pride!

Thanks Huddo - it's been a great ride :)

Good call, people still wear Beatles T-shirts! The Beard lives on...

Go_Dogs
24-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Probably the right decision for Huddo. Been a very good player for us over the journey. Well done on your career Ben, and all the best with life after footy.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 09:23 PM
The thing I liked about Ben is his competitive nature co-joined to an easy going nature.
He regularly out rucked much taller opposition.
Anyone like to recollect some games where he taught a taller / opponent a thing or two?

comrade
24-08-2011, 09:58 PM
The thing I liked about Ben is his competitive nature co-joined to an easy going nature.
He regularly out rucked much taller opposition.
Anyone like to recollect some games where he taught a taller / opponent a thing or two?

He destroyed Jamar for kicks and I loved his sledging of Goddard on numerous occasions.

Gonna miss the big fella for sure.

Sedat
24-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Nobody in the AFL has a better record on Sandilands than the beard. Shame that the sub rule has shortened his career by a year or two because he was a massive factor in us going from bottom 4 to top 4 and staying there for 3 consecutive years. Just a fantastic workhorse whenever the ball hit the deck after a stoppage - it was like having an extra inside midfielder.

westbulldog
24-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Good luck Huddo, your whole-hearted endeavour week in week out for the Bulldogs has been unquestionable and applauded by all supporters. By the way, that 50m against you was a shocker ! All the best for your future.

Greystache
25-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Good decision for me, go out being competitive rather than try and stay on a year too long.

The Beard's been a great pick up for the dogs, too bad we couldn't quite get him to 100 games.

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Gonna miss the Beard next year, Huddo has been fantastic for the short few years we had him. I think he should go into the television industry now, some sort of crime drama called the beard would do nicely.

Mantis
25-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Nobody in the AFL has a better record on Sandilands than the beard. Shame that the sub rule has shortened his career by a year or two because he was a massive factor in us going from bottom 4 to top 4 and staying there for 3 consecutive years. Just a fantastic workhorse whenever the ball hit the deck after a stoppage - it was like having an extra inside midfielder.

And in many ways turned our rucks into a non-factor.

Over the past 3 years the ruck duo of Hudson & Minson were rarely beaten and largely effective, but the sub rule destroyed that for us.

Sedat
25-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Happy to read that Minson is a big part of our future. He will thrive in the 1st ruck role next season and should develop a good and more complimentary working relationship with Roughy. IMO he has the capacity to do a Jamar and have a breakout season in his mid 20's. He's still only the same age as Huddo was when he started his career.

Desipura
25-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Happy to read that Minson is a big part of our future. He will thrive in the 1st ruck role next season and should develop a good and more complimentary working relationship with Roughy. IMO he has the capacity to do a Jamar and have a breakout season in his mid 20's. He's still only the same age as Huddo was when he started his career.

Not too sure he is, time will tell.

Maddog37
25-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Minno needs to strip right back on the muscle and get more mobility around the ground if he is to be effective in the number one ruck role imo.

He is too slow and cannot take a mark to save himself but if he can get to more contests and at least bring the ball to ground he will be ok. His ruck work is ok and you cannot question his committment.

gohardorgohome
25-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Minno needs to strip right back on the muscle and get more mobility around the ground if he is to be effective in the number one ruck role imo.

He is too slow and cannot take a mark to save himself but if he can get to more contests and at least bring the ball to ground he will be ok. His ruck work is ok and you cannot question his committment.

I was at a function recently where Will was a guest speaker. He looked very lean in my opinion. Not too sure if there much point in fining down much more.

LostDoggy
25-08-2011, 05:59 PM
I was at a function recently where Will was a guest speaker. He looked very lean in my opinion. Not too sure if there much point in fining down much more.

Agree, Willie often do their recovery at the pool I swim at every day, and I saw Wil there recently in his swimmers - I can totally agree there ain't much more "fining" down he can do! He looked pretty good to me! LOL!:o

Maddog37
25-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Well if he can't get any more mobile then he is going to struggle imo. He needs to get around the ground better. Maybe another year without soy milk etc will help him. I really like Will but even at VFL level he lumbers around and looks to be lacking athleticism.

I know I am being harsh but when you look at guys like Cox and Goldstein he is a battler.

Bottom line for me is if we are going to trade for a player it should be a ruckman. Ruff and Ayce look good but they are not ready yet and may never be. If we can get our hands on a good ruckman to feed Boyd etc we will be a much better side. A ruckman that can take marks around the gound and kick goals would be perfect.

Sorry to derail the thread. Love Huddo and hope he has great last game against Freo.

gohardorgohome
25-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Will is a good tap ruckman and has a competitive streak......possibly he could have a bit more impact if he coud get some Huddo like ground work happening at stoppages.... I'm really hope he does keep on with the dogs...he comes across as a quality person...

bornadog
01-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Just on SEN.

Says will retire up to the Gold Coast and will be a doggies supporter for the rest of his life.

Has been great for the club and probably one of the most valuable players we have traded for.

Mofra
01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Vale Ben. I will shave my beard off in his honour. No point wearing it once he's gone.

ReLoad
01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
I reckon he's worthy of an interview with us here on Woof. I would love to hear his top 10 Sledges he has dished out.

My "peoples Beard" scarf is now officially to be retired and shall hang right next to my dufflecoat in perpetuity.

bornadog
01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I reckon he's worthy of an interview with us here on Woof. I would love to hear his top 10 Sledges he has dished out.

My "peoples Beard" scarf is now officially to be retired and shall hang right next to my dufflecoat in perpetuity.

We need TCD to do one of his interviews before he goes to Gold Coast.

bornadog
01-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Just on SEN.

Says will retire up to the Gold Coast and will be a doggies supporter for the rest of his life.

Has been great for the club and probably one of the most valuable players we have traded for.

Can listen to Ben here: http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Western-Bulldogs-ruckman-Ben-Hudson/2963

LostDoggy
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM

Yeah the one at half time in the NAB cup grand final looks like a beauty as to the banter he goes on with. We need a lip reading expert to give us some hints.

AndrewP6
01-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm going to continue to wear the scarf. Hey, people still wear Beatles and Pink Floyd t-shirts! :)

jazzadogs
01-09-2011, 10:44 PM
World Beard Day - this Saturday, 4th September. (http://www.facebook.com/WorldBeardDay?sk=wall#!/WorldBeardDay)

Some would call it fate. I dare not disagree.

Mofra
02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
World Beard Day - this Saturday, 4th September. (http://www.facebook.com/WorldBeardDay?sk=wall#!/WorldBeardDay)

Some would call it fate. I dare not disagree.
The planets align for the great bearded one.

I really would love to hear of some of his best sledges - if anyone sees a player out during the off season, for the love of god ask them.

The Coon Dog
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
The planets align for the great bearded one.

I really would love to hear of some of his best sledges - if anyone sees a player out during the off season, for the love of god ask them.

Earlier this year he really got stuck into Jack Watts when we beat Melbourne. Huddo said he'd spoken to Brendon Risely who used to be our runner but is now Melbourne's & he said that 'no one at Melbourne likes you, they all reckon you're a stuck up Private School Boy'.

It really put Watts off his game & had him questioning team mates about it.

Huddo had to ring Mark Jamar & asked him to pass on to Jack Watts that it was just bullshit!

He did a similar thing to Goddard 2 years ago, told him that his team mates didn't like him because he was Ross Lyon's pet & dobbed his team mates into the coach about what they said about him. Worked too!

bornadog
02-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Earlier this year he really got stuck into Jack Watts when we beat Melbourne. Huddo said he'd spoken to Brendon Risely who used to be our runner but is now Melbourne's & he said that 'no one at Melbourne likes you, they all reckon you're a stuck up Private School Boy'.

Huddo had to ring Mark Jamar & asked him to pass on to Jack Watts that it was just bullshit!

He did a similar thing to Goddard 2 years ago, told him that his team mates didn't like him because he was Ross Lyon's pet & dobbed his team mates into the coach about what they said about him. Worked too!

Love to read a book on all his sledges:D We are really going to miss him.

Mofra
02-09-2011, 02:22 PM

This is about 57 different types of awesome. To get under an opponent's skin that much is trully an art.

I love you Huddo

comrade
02-09-2011, 08:25 PM

I believe the word he kept repeating was "NARC". I still yell that out at Goddard when we play the Saints.

The Adelaide Connection
03-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Why are they printing 10,000 faces in only Barry? There should be 3333 Bazzas, 3333 mitch's, and 3333 of the beard. They should then rock, paper, scissors over te left over one.

But seriously, Barry has been at our club for only two years. The other two boys would have to be feeling a bit shafted.

AndrewP6
03-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Why are they printing 10,000 faces in only Barry? There should be 3333 Bazzas, 3333 mitch's, and 3333 of the beard. They should then rock, paper, scissors over te left over one.

But seriously, Barry has been at our club for only two years. The other two boys would have to be feeling a bit shafted.

I'm tipping they won't be all that fussed.

Happy Days
03-09-2011, 06:56 PM

I remember him saying to Jack Watts this year "I'm shit, and I know I'm shit, but so are you, and at least I didn't go pick 1"

SonofScray
03-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Got the opportunity to farewell Ben and his Beard on the big screen before the game today. Farewell Ben Hudson!

Remi Moses
03-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Great effort from the Beard. Might be the last of the great sledges,not many better at clearances as Ruck.

firstdogonthemoon
05-09-2011, 10:47 AM
He will be sorely missed. We need more mongrel, more crazy, wild eyed hairy man behaviour not less.

Thanks Huddo, the not very quiet achiever.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 12:30 PM
What a great read a book would be! Love the sledges......

Farewell The Beard, I'm gonna miss you and Ben too!