PDA

View Full Version : Mick Malthouse won't be at Collingwood in 2012

The Coon Dog
26-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Mike Sheahan - HS - 26 August

YOU won't hear confirmation until Collingwood completes all engagements for 2011, but Michael Malthouse won't be at the club next year - in any capacity.

It's a decision that's understood to have been fixed in his mind for several weeks. It remains private to avoid any potential disruption to the club's 2011 premiership campaign.

What club president Eddie McGuire contrived as the perfect succession plan in July 2009 has been torpedoed by a number of issues, principally Malthouse's growing frustration with a use-by date imposed upon him and Nathan Buckley's determination to assume total control - as promised - after the current season.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mick-malthouse-wont-be-at-collingwood-in-2012-says-mike-sheahan/story-fn7shz1t-1226122423068)

Desipura
26-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Where do we think he will coach next year?
My guess in order would be
St Kilda
Carlton
Melb
Dogs
Adelaide
Port Adelaide

Mantis
26-08-2011, 10:38 AM
If Carlton bomb out in the finals he would be a shoe in for that job as Ratten won't survive.

It was always on the cards seeing as though Mick & Swann are seen to be quite close.

1eyedog
26-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Discussion on SEN this morning saying that he WOULD honour his contract at Collingwood next year following on from some comments made by McGuire last night:confused:

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Where do we think he will coach next year?
My guess in order would be
St Kilda
Carlton
Melb
Dogs
Adelaide
Port Adelaide

St Kilda? No way Lyon will walk away ' unfinished business'.
Carlton fans would be livid if they got rid of ratten for a Collingwood coach
Melbourne have no chance to win a flag anytime soon
Dogs are well placed if they play their cards right.

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Malthouse with Milne? A million to one

Desipura
26-08-2011, 11:28 AM
St Kilda? No way Lyon will walk away ' unfinished business'.
Carlton fans would be livid if they got rid of ratten for a Collingwood coach
Melbourne have no chance to win a flag anytime soon
Dogs are well placed if they play their cards right.

Totally disagree, I think you are thinking with your heart.
Alot of Carlton supporters want Ratten gone,
Lyon has apparently been offered a 5 year contract at Melbourne
How are Dogs well placed? Why are we so more advanced than Melboourne?

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 11:30 AM
What if Carlton win the first final? Likely. Then lose the second. Will Ratten still be there?

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Totally disagree, I think you are thinking with your heart.
Alot of Carlton supporters want Ratten gone,
Lyon has apparently been offered a 5 year contract at Melbourne
How are Dogs well placed? Why are we so more advanced than Melboourne?

Ok I see your points
Carlton would be hard placed to sack Ratten as his performance ( and the team's ) has been competitive.
People close to Lyon seem to think he's pretty hard nosed and wants to finish the job at St Kilda. That's what people have told me.
Melbourne are that much further away from winning a flag than us.
We have a list that can be pretty competitive and the club is in good shape.

Mantis
26-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Ok I see your points
Carlton would be hard placed to sack Ratten as his performance ( and the team's ) has been competitive.
People close to Lyon seem to think he's pretty hard nosed and wants to finish the job at St Kilda. That's what people have told me.
Melbourne are that much further away from winning a flag than us.
We have a list that can be pretty competitive and the club is in good shape.

How will both lists look in 2 years time?

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 12:04 PM
How will both lists look in 2 years time?

Who knows really. Injuries can cull players, fortunes can change.
Melbourne were supposed to be powering along at the moment, according to their supposed recruiting strategy.
Three years into their plan, they look insipid.

Sockeye Salmon
26-08-2011, 12:16 PM
If I was Lyon I would be running away from St. Kilda as fast as I could.

The irony is they are heading for long term pain because of him!

bornadog
26-08-2011, 02:01 PM

He has a contract for next year so they would have to pay him out. Maybe they can come to a mutual agreement if he gets a job at Melbourne?

Mantis
26-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Who knows really. Injuries can cull players, fortunes can change.
Melbourne were supposed to be powering along at the moment, according to their supposed recruiting strategy.
Three years into their plan, they look insipid.

With no real reliance on mature players they are going along ok.

Take out both teams over 28's and their list stacks up very well against ours... but it should considering they bottomed out while we were contending.

Taking away sentiment if I had the choice between coaching the Dogs & the Dees it would be an absolute no brainer.

The Bulldogs Bite
26-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Melbourne still have a lot to prove though. In fact, they've barely proven anything. If it wasn't for those two games against Collingwood last year, the media would label them as flogs.

They have a young list - but how many of them are good?

Melbourne might eventually make finals but they won't do damage IMO.

Sockeye Salmon
26-08-2011, 02:38 PM
He has a contract for next year so they would have to pay him out. Maybe they can come to a mutual agreement if he gets a job at Melbourne?

Nope. He has an option for next year. He can walk if he wants.

And since when do coaches give a rats about contracts anyway?

bornadog
26-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Nope. He has an option for next year. He can walk if he wants.

And since when do coaches give a rats about contracts anyway?

Ok, didn't realize he had an option. That is strange, does the club have an option as well.

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 03:22 PM
With no real reliance on mature players they are going along ok.

Take out both teams over 28's and their list stacks up very well against ours... but it should considering they bottomed out while we were contending.

Taking away sentiment if I had the choice between coaching the Dogs & the Dees it would be an absolute no brainer.

You see them as being that far ahead of our list?
Wallis, Liberatore, Tutt, Dahlhaus, Jones, Schofield, these are as good as anything they have.

Mofra
26-08-2011, 05:00 PM
You see them as being that far ahead of our list?
Wallis, Liberatore, Tutt, Dahlhaus, Jones, Schofield, these are as good as anything they have.
Trengove is ahead of all of our young midfielders, Scully is too, Grimes is comparable when fit and Watts is ahead of Jones.

Melbourne have a very good group of youngsters

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Trengove is ahead of all of our young midfielders, Scully is too, Grimes is comparable when fit and Watts is ahead of Jones.

Grimes is always injured and Scully is likely to be playing up north next year.

I definitely agree that they've got a good group of young'uns, but not as good as you'd hope after years of tanking.

stefoid
26-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Juts becaues he wont be at collingwod doesnt mean he will be coaching next year.

hypotehtical - malthouse agrees to coach us in 2013. We appoint a caretaker coach for a year, play all the kids we can, finish outside the top eight and are well placed in the 2012 draft and malthouse then comes on board.

Basically sacrificing 2012 in a tank-ish but not technically tanking kind of way, for the longer term good.

GVGjr
26-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Agreed. They have a good list and they can get a lot better.

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 11:23 PM

Agreed, a realistic Saints Fan ( not some sychophantic SEN Types) bloke at work reckons they have no youth coming through.Surely they have to pay a price for their continual botched recruiting

Swoop
27-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Besides McEvoy who has really come on this year its hard to name any young A grade prospects coming through for St Kilda. From a selfish point of view, it would be a very opportune time for Lyon to leave and take on a new challenge before he is left to clean his own mess.

bornadog
27-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Besides McEvoy who has really come on this year its hard to name any young A grade prospects coming through for St Kilda. From a selfish point of view, it would be a very opportune time for Lyon to leave and take on a new challenge before he is left to clean his own mess.

They have debuted 8 players this year so they have at least given the young players a go.

Swoop
28-08-2011, 12:55 AM
They have debuted 8 players this year so they have at least given the young players a go.
8 debutantes isn't an indication of quality, they were played because there were no alternatives at the time. None of those young kids have been able to hold their spot in the side nor do they appear of having a significant impact within the next 12 months.

I would be interested to see how many players they have on their list within the 20-50 game mark in comparison with other sides.

ledge
28-08-2011, 10:06 AM
8 debutantes isn't an indication of quality, they were played because there were no alternatives at the time. None of those young kids have been able to hold their spot in the side nor do they appear of having a significant impact within the next 12 months.

I would be interested to see how many players they have on their list within the 20-50 game mark in comparison with other sides.

8 debutants, playing finals still, whats that say about us then if you think they have bad debutants?
We apparently have had a few future champs debut and are not getting anywhere near finals this year.

Swoop
28-08-2011, 12:45 PM
8 debutants, playing finals still, whats that say about us then if you think they have bad debutants?
We apparently have had a few future champs debut and are not getting anywhere near finals this year.
We probably find ourselves in the same situation, both sides have challenged recently and now need to find a balance between bringing through youth while phasing out the older players and trying to remain competitive. My point was never made in reference to us, the conversation was about whether Lyon should leave and I said he should consider it as there is currently a void between their senior players and young kids coming through and Melbourne's list has a better development path over the next 2 seasons.

bornadog
28-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Last night the Saints had 4 players with less than 50 games and North had 10, so your right there.

According to Footywire we had 13.

ledge
28-08-2011, 03:59 PM
We probably find ourselves in the same situation, both sides have challenged recently and now need to find a balance between bringing through youth while phasing out the older players and trying to remain competitive. My point was never made in reference to us, the conversation was about whether Lyon should leave and I said he should consider it as there is currently a void between their senior players and young kids coming through and Melbourne's list has a better development path over the next 2 seasons.

I tend to think Melbourne will start to kick butt soon but of course they have to get the footy department right like we do.
St Kildas football department seem to be doing okay, staying competitive during a rebuild, If I was Lyon I think the way the football department runs would decide my decision.

I personally am not a fan of Lyon but gee the things that have happened with the players during his reign and the way they kept playing in GFs is amazing, I think most clubs would have self destructed.
I think Lyon will stay at the Saints.