PDA

View Full Version : Why Callan Ward should stay

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Callan, I think you should stay.
Not just because I'm a Bulldogs supporter.
But because I don't really think it will make you more successful as a player, moving to GWS.

Firstly, how much more money does a man need to be happy, beyond a comfortable living?
An extra $100,000 dollars? $300,000? Million?

If you can already live like a prince, will living like a king make you any happier?

Secondly, for the bulldogs, its more than a business. We're a club, with a history and a strong community.
Social capital is the best kind of salary and by moving to GWS you will actually be taking a dramatic pay cut in Social capital.

Daisy Thomas seems to agree. His salary is likely to be about the same as last year's. That's a club man's attitude. Selwood as well, decided there was more to gain by staying.
Ablett went because they set up his family. That's fine. But your family is here.

It will be a great experience for you up there, no doubt.

But as for the money, does doubling your wage double your happiness?

If you do stay, you'll be a hero at the dogs for life.
So that's why I think you should stay.

Desipura
26-08-2011, 11:26 AM
But because I don't really think it will make you more successful as a player, moving to GWS.

How much more money does a man need to be happy, beyond a comfortable living?

Daisy Thomas seems to agree. His salary is likely to be about the same as last year's. That's a club man's attitude. Selwood as well, decided there was more to gain by staying.
Ablett went because they set up his family. That's fine. But your family is here.

But as for the money, does doubling your wage make you doubly happy?

Peter Daicos said recently the best decision he ever made was not leaving Collingwood as it opened up alot of doors post career for him. If he had moved clubs, he does not believe he would have the opportunities he has today.
It does help playing for one of the biggest clubs in Australia!

EasternWest
26-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Firstly, how much more money does a man need to be happy, beyond a comfortable living?

If you can already live like a prince, will living like a king make you any happier?

Secondly, for the bulldogs, its more than a business. We're a club, with a history and a strong community.
Social capital is the best kind of salary and by moving to GWS you will actually be taking a dramatic pay cut in Social capital.

But as for the money, does doubling your wage double your happiness?

I appreciate your passion GD, but you've unfortunately not given any real reasons why not to go.

Social capital is irrelevant. Bulldog love aside, AFL is his job. If you were offered (For arguments sake, I don't know the exact figure) $100,000 to $400,000 more to leave your current employer, would you go?

I love, love, love my job. But my bags would be already packed.

Does doubling your wage double your happiness? I don't know. Here's a quote from Michael Caine regarding job opportunities and money (and Jaws 4): "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Oh, and if you think Dale Thomas' only income stream is from Collingwood and there's no 3rd party compensation, then you've gone full James Cuming.

Remi Moses
26-08-2011, 01:16 PM
So Andrew Swallow has third party arrangements?
So Dustin Martin has Third party arrangements?
Do we have any proof of any third party arrangements for Thomas?
Just Maybe, Just Maybe Thomas and Kruezer can see success and immortality as Selwood probably does!Ask the great Chris Grant how remaining LOYAL, and what it did for him !
Maybe it says a lot about the character of these players than it does others.

1eyedog
26-08-2011, 01:42 PM
While I love the romance of your post the days of clubs before money are long gone.

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Dear Callan,

I'm very sorry i said 'i hope you break your leg' and upset YHF and Ozza.

I take it back and only hope you and Harbrow both keep your eyes firmly fixed on the ball during GWS Vs GC next season.

bornadog
26-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I appreciate your passion GD, but you've unfortunately not given any real reasons why not to go.

Social capital is irrelevant. Bulldog love aside, AFL is his job. If you were offered (For arguments sake, I don't know the exact figure) $100,000 to $400,000 more to leave your current employer, would you go?

Does doubling your wage double your happiness? I don't know. Here's a quote from Michael Caine regarding job opportunities and money (and Jaws 4): "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Oh, and if you think Dale Thomas' only income stream is from Collingwood and there's no 3rd party compensation, then you've gone full James Cuming.

There is more to his decisions than money and thats why he hasn't made up his mind. If it was the case just for money he would have signed with GWS by now and put us all out of our misery.

GD, I am with you. Come on supporters lets show Ward how much us doggies supporters love him.

dadsgirl16
26-08-2011, 02:04 PM
How do we "show him how much we love him"? Work out a way and I'm in!!

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 02:07 PM

this is the thread for why Callan Ward should stay. Yes, I am rather tediously idealistic ^_^. But, there is a thread for everyone.

Why did Daisy Thomas decide to re-sign? or Selwood? Reasons for them and Callan are obvious
Because they have forged relationships and have ties to where they are.

Chris Grant could have done well with the Power. Money and success. But he never regrets it.

In your example above, afraid it says a lot about your values.
It would have to depend on the job I was leaving / going to
There are lots of factors involved.
Would you want to play the best footy of your youth for money, while being spanked to the tune of 60+ points every week?

What if the Bulldogs do succeed in doing well in the next 3, 4 seasons. How will that feel to have gone to a start up club with no history, no footy culture, in a place where nobody cares about footy. how will it feel to know you could have enjoyed your peak at a successful club?

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 02:20 PM

Good question

bornadog
26-08-2011, 02:26 PM

Good question

Get the cheer squad to start a chant We Want Ward, We Want Ward:D

G-Mo77
26-08-2011, 02:43 PM

If you offered me a $100 more I'd leave my job. I don't buy this argument when it comes to football. I have friends who I work with but outisde of work I really have very little to do with them. Playing in a football team creates a strong bond between teammates and unless you're Jason Akermanis you walk away with football for friends for life. I'm sure it wouldn't be an easy decision to just take the money and leave your mates behind. There is more to football than money and I really hope Callan takes that on board if he hasn't already made his decision.

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Dear Callan
Dont fall into people telling you its a job and change companies for the money. This is a football club that has generations of passionate supporters on the edge of their seats hoping you will sign with us. You will be a premiership captain in the future and be talked about in the same sentences with all our other champions.Be like Chris Grant .. a champion player but remembered as a champion person as well

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 03:15 PM
So Andrew Swallow has third party arrangements?
So Dustin Martin has Third party arrangements?
Do we have any proof of any third party arrangements for Thomas?
Just Maybe, Just Maybe Thomas and Kruezer can see success and immortality as Selwood probably does!Ask the great Chris Grant how remaining LOYAL, and what it did for him !
Maybe it says a lot about the character of these players than it does others.

Brilliant post Remi.

I think the 'no one could turn down the money' argument is an insult to the men who actually have.

These are men who have been offered more than what Cal was offered and who weren't born and bred in the region that their clubs represent.

These are men who did put loyalty and friendship ahead of pure financial gain.

Let's not forget that people like that are still out there.

If the reports are true that we've offered Cal a long term contract at $450,000 a season, then he'll be being extremely well compensated to stay with his friends, family and club.

With wise investment and the reduced tax rate that professional sportsman pay, $450,000 a year can be turned into quite a lot of money at retirement.

Would I begrudge a man earning $100,000 from leaving his job for an extra $500,000? No. Of course not.

Would I begrudge a man earning $450,000 from leaving his club for an extra $500,000? Absolutely.

It's still entirely possible that Cal will do the right thing. The club greatly respects him and I'm told he is a quality young man. He may well be waiting for the collective bargaining to conclude so his manager knows exactly how much the club will be able to spend in next year's salary cap.

There's room for a little hope.

That being said, a great many of his peers stood up this week and re-signed with the club. I'd have felt a lot better if he was one of them.

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Brilliant post Remi.

I think the 'no one could turn down the money' argument is an insult to the men who actually have.

These are men who have been offered more than what Cal was offered and who weren't born and bred in the region that their clubs represent.

If the reports are true that we've offered Cal a long term contract at $450,000 a season, then he'll be being extremely well compensated to stay with his friends, family and club.

With wise investment and the reduced tax rate that professional sportsman pay, $450,000 a year can be turned into quite a lot of money at retirement.

Would I begrudge a man earning $100,000 from leaving his job for an extra $500,000? No. Of course not.

Would I begrudge a man earning $450,000 from leaving his club for an extra $500,000? Absolutely.

It's still entirely possible that Cal will do the right thing. The club greatly respects him and I'm told he is a quality young man. He may well be waiting for the collective bargaining to conclude so his manager knows exactly how much the club will be able to spend in next year's salary cap.

That being said, a great many of his peers stood up this week and re-signed with the club. I'd have felt a lot better if he was one of them.

Rocket - what a post!
I guess I'm not saying sticking with the club is right.
I'm just trying to say there are plenty of reasons for him to stay.
There seems to be a fair bit of resignation about the club about Callans decision.
A bit of dysthemia and fatalism can lurk around the whitten oval at times.
He might just stay and there are plenty of reasons why it's a good idea.

LostDoggy
26-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Surely if the decision was based solely on money, he would have signed by now. Same goes for Daisy Thomas, etc., - if it was just about the dollars, they would have all signed with GWS.

A football club is more than a job I would think - it has a history, it creates passion and loyalty and forges lifelong friendships.

Not a simple black and white (excuse the Pie reference) decision!

w3design
26-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Brilliant post Remi.

Great post. Thanks!! How do messages like this get to Callan?

EasternWest
26-08-2011, 08:09 PM
this is the thread for why Callan Ward should stay. Yes, I am rather tediously idealistic ^_^. But, there is a thread for everyone.

In your example above, afraid it says a lot about your values.
It would have to depend on the job I was leaving / going to
There are lots of factors ?

Wow. You don't know me, you know nothing about me or my values. I didn't think that was the way you worked, but no worries. Leap away.

FWIW, I would like to believe what you're saying is a factor in swaying Cal to stay. I'm just not sure that when all is said and done the emotion is going to be enough. God I hope it is, but I doubt it.

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Wow. You don't know me, you know nothing about me or my values. I didn't think that was the way you worked, but no worries. Leap away.

FWIW, I would like to believe what you're saying is a factor in swaying Cal to stay. I'm just not sure that when all is said and done the emotion is going to be enough. God I hope it is, but I doubt it.

Sorry EW, it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. aplgs if offense taken ^_^
Of course he is likely to go. Daisy Thomas - at a very successful club.
Selwood, similar. We're not that fortunate with success.
Still, I think there are advantages for him if he stays.

EasternWest
26-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Sorry EW, it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. aplgs if offense taken ^_^
Of course he is likely to go. Daisy Thomas - at a very successful club.
Selwood, similar. We're not that fortunate with success.
Still, I think there are advantages for him if he stays.

That's ok. I was taken aback! But then again, I insinuated you were being JC, so maybe I deserved it :D.

And I do agree with the theme of all you've said. But the cynic in me has a very loud voice.

Ghost Dog
26-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah, but this is the Why he should stay thread after all! A man can dream ^_^

Happy Days
27-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Ward is 100% dead set absolutely positively certainly without a shadow of a doubt done as a Bulldog, forget about it and think of the guns we're gonna get with our two first round picks out of it.

AndrewP6
27-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Ward is 100% dead set absolutely positively certainly without a shadow of a doubt done as a Bulldog, forget about it and think of the guns we're gonna get with our two first round picks out of it.

Geelong got two first rounders for Gablett. No way we'll get that for Ward.

Ghost Dog
27-08-2011, 12:33 AM

:D This is NOT the will he stay or go thread. this is WHY he should stay.
Not IF he will stay.

Remi Moses
27-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Well put rocket, dead right an insult to those players who are obviously immersed in what their clubs are trying to achieve.

Doc26
27-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Is no doubt difficult for a young kid such as Cal to look deeply beyond the big dollars being offered to him. Viewed simply through the lens of a 'job',with a limited tenure, then I kind of get the lure but then most, not all, appreciate that underneath that layer you're buying into a contract far more profound when you wrap your arms around this Club.

One only need recall Bobby's speech at B&F night, to then only be trumped by Charlie's few precious moments where he held the packed out Palladium in the palm of his hand as he cried out his genuine love for this Club. Everyone there that night knew that what this Club brings to its loyal and dedicated fans cannot be defined simply in dollar terms, not even close.

I feel for players today that don't yet get this. Fortunately over time many have shown that they do get it and not just in this time of extravagant and rather false rewards. They understand that the road taken is so much more than simply one of a rather opportunistic high paying job. It is a path that not only they walk but they bring with them, sometimes unknowingy, a lifelong experience and legacy shared with so many others, with family and friends at the forefront of this journey.

The implications of Cal's decision extends beyond that of losing a few dollars more, the price is giving up what it is to be a Bulldog for Life, one that money will not buy.

Cal, just have a quite word with Charlie or Bobby, and there's many more from the place they come, and you will find a richness that extends far beyond what a few dollars more will bring you.

Come on Cal, you know this caper is far more than a job. Don't get sucked in. Stick with us.

boydogs
27-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Come on Cal, you know this caper is far more than a job. Don't get sucked in. Stick with us.

The unfortunate reality is that if it is not him, then another player from another club will be the one to cut ties. The AFL is breaking the bonds players share with their clubs and supporters by bankrolling the new clubs to pick up existing players.

I'm not sure Ward will go though. We seem happy to make him one of our highest paid players, play him in his preferred role, give him plenty of game time, have him as a leader of the club and possible future captain etc. There are no push factors here, only pull factors.

He has no connection to Western Sydney, and it is not an enticing place like GC may be. He would be leaving his family, friends and team mates to spend the next 5 years losing games, with only kids around to play and train with.

Going from $450k to $700k before tax, is that really so open & shut? I'm not so sure.

Ghost Dog
27-08-2011, 08:09 AM
The unfortunate reality is that if it is not him, then another player from another club will be the one to cut ties. The AFL is breaking the bonds players share with their clubs and supporters by bankrolling the new clubs to pick up existing players.

I'm not sure Ward will go though. We seem happy to make him one of our highest paid players, play him in his preferred role, give him plenty of game time, have him as a leader of the club and possible future captain etc. There are no push factors here, only pull factors.

He has no connection to Western Sydney, and it is not an enticing place like GC may be. He would be leaving his family, friends and team mates to spend the next 5 years losing games, with only kids around to play and train with.

Going from $450k to $700k before tax, is that really so open & shut? I'm not so sure.

I'm not so sure really. You have only a small percentage of players who get lured to another place purely for money or extra incentives ( Like Carlton, offering Barrassi a chance at coaching ) .
Of those who do, family plays an important part ( Even Ablett, who obviously got a huge payout, did it in part as they promised Nathan and Gary snr a gig as well )
Then you have maybe 1% of players who do it purely for the cash. Now, I can only think of a few that have done that ( and admitted it ) and even then ( Barrassi ) it was with the interests of their family, largely in mind, ie the education of his kids.
then again, I am 36, and maybe I'm out of touch with how young people are these days. Perhaps it is as you say.

strebla
27-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Callan why should you stay I recall an article where you spoke of your father and about choosing football clubs your dad said the bulldogs will break your heart. this for most of us older blokes has been going on since 85 and in fairness since then we have lost only a handfull of stars unlike the 70's and early eighties growing up in the west you become very proud of your achievements in life think to yourself do you want to break the hearts of the bulldog family or be a part of changing the mindset and hopes and dreams of your friends ,family and neighbours."why should you stay" because destiny is in your hands you can grasp it or allow it to slip away

Ghost Dog
27-08-2011, 11:25 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fiiLRdva76I/Tlg1JGuCf8I/AAAAAAAABoI/Db89hV-UCS8/s1600/callancol-copy.jpg

boydogs
27-08-2011, 12:55 PM
0IA3ZvCkRkQ&ob=av2n"]

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20F-J/wrdcllnft246a.jpg

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2007/11/26/va1237279416658/New-Western-Bulldogs-5770289.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/3200800711_e5b2644893.jpg

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/03/04/1194693/ward_main-420x0.jpg

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/Player_profiles/2008_WardC_Profile_med.jpg

w3design
27-08-2011, 01:05 PM
0IA3ZvCkRkQ&ob=av2n"]

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20F-J/wrdcllnft246a.jpg

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2007/11/26/va1237279416658/New-Western-Bulldogs-5770289.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/3200800711_e5b2644893.jpg

http://images.theage.com.au/2010/03/04/1194693/ward_main-420x0.jpg

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/Player_profiles/2008_WardC_Profile_med.jpg

Now you've really broken my heart.

Mofra
27-08-2011, 01:15 PM
IThen you have maybe 1% of players who do it purely for the cash.
Interesting point - of the 8 that went to the Suns, for 7 cash doesn't seem the only factor.

Ablett - Family ties to the GC (Snr was already living there)
Bock - Opportunity with young CHBs there at the time, Adelaide seem to treat their 30+ players poorly
Harbrow - Family, climate
Riscitelli - Trade bait 12 months earlier
Brown - Ditto
Fraser - Opportunity
Krakour - It's not Port Adelaide

Brennan I'm unsure about - did he fall out with Voss? He certainly did get a huge pay rise

azabob
27-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Interesting point - of the 8 that went to the Suns, for 7 cash doesn't seem the only factor.

Brennan I'm unsure about - did he fall out with Voss? He certainly did get a huge pay rise

I think he was in the same boat with Sherman, thought he deserved a pay rise but Fevola had taken all the cash.

boydogs
28-08-2011, 08:17 PM

How many of those would have gone to other clubs if GC didn't exist?

The money needs to be big to get the big names/quality players to leave, not just those on the outer at their current clubs.

Valid point though, and I can't see anything other than money that Callan could cite.

boydogs
28-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Bock - Opportunity with young CHBs there at the time, Adelaide seem to treat their 30+ players poorly

Think he was also looking for a fresh start after the pub issue with his GF

Voss killed any sense of loyalty within his playing group when he tried to trade Bradshaw & Rischitelli

Not sure if Phil Davis had another reason?