PDA

View Full Version : Round #23 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
27-08-2011, 04:18 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or even a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this afternoons game against the all conquering Hawks.

Ghost Dog
27-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Slap: Liam Jones - great set of hands
Slap: Bob Murphy - did well under the barrage

Sledge: Very ordinary handballs at times from Higgins. about 50% kicking eff. really poor return on expectation

AndrewP6
27-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Slaps
Murphy... Cool head under the pump.
Jones... Showed some good signs .
Hall.. I'm enjoying the last kicks he takes for the Bulldogs.,

SLEDGES

Hill...didn't show his new team his talent. Or perhaps he did.
Higgins...not even sure what to make of him.
Boyd,one stage going at 53% efficiency.
Dawks supporters, celebrating like they won the GF.

bornadog
27-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Slaps:

* Jones, some good marking as usual and kicked a few from limited opportunities in the forward 50.

* Griffen: Some nice long kicking to Hall - where have you been the last few weeks.

* The young brigade - Schofield, Tutt, Libba, Dahlhaus, Cordy, Roughead, Jones, this is our future.

* Markovic - Held his own against Buddy, tried his guts out and beat him one on one. Buddy with two soft goals made his figures better, plus the nice passing to him impossible to stop.

Sledge:

* Grant - woeful first half

* Tutt's kick into the man that resulted in an easy Buddy goal - will learn from that.

* Some terrible handpassing that did not hit targets and caused turnovers and goals.

Remi Moses
27-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Slaps- Murphy ( excellent)
Slaps - Libba ( good in close)
Slaps- Hill ( best game for a while)

Sledge- Handball ( the over use of it)
Sledge - Awful kicking into the FW 50.

w3design
27-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Slaps : they had a dip. The result reflected an undermanned team, not one that wasn't trying.
Slap: Markovic took up the challenge. I really liked his game. Buddy's goal count didn't reflect the contest.
Slap: schofield impressed today, he will be a player.
Sledge: Grant. No longer sure he has what it takes.
sledge: Higgins. Ditto.
Sledge: the mark not paid to Griff. Ridiculous.

G-Mo77
27-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Slap - Jones, he's got big shoes to fill and it will be tough for him next year when he gets the #1 defender. Showed a lot today

Slap - Libba, he falls under the radar with our fans. He was fantastic last week and backed it up against much bigger and stronger bodies again this week.

Sledge - 3rd quarter coaching. Don't bother turning up for the interview Williams, that's all I needed to see.

Sledge - Overuse. Again just can't handle strong forward pressure. Something that really needs work for 2012.

Mofra
27-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Slap - Murphy BOG
Slap - Jones in the best today
Slap - Schofield showed more than a bit, Cordy looked much better today than last week

Sledge - Gia's worst game for a couple of years, looked a mile off the pace
Sledge - Defensive pressure from our forwards (aside from Jones & Dalhaus) was very poor today

Sedat
27-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Sledge - we have to be the most 'smothered off the boot team' in the history of VFL/AFL.

Sledge - we also seem to allow the most 'opposition players breaking free from a tackle' in the history of the game. Our tackling technique either stinks or we lack the core strength to make them stick.

Slap - Jones worked very hard and looked dangerous up forward. Shame that we couldn't get it in there more often - 32 inside 50's is a paltry return and suggests a lack of two-way running from our midfield.

Slap - our horrendously inexperienced back 6 stood up as well as could have been expected with the avalanche of inside 50's we conceded. At the start of the game if you had told me that Hawthorn would get 65 inside 50's, I'd have expected Buddy to kick 12.

Slap - Paul Williams, for this post-match quote: "We're definitely going to focus on having a real defensive style as a whole group. That's something we just don't value yet. We don't value helping our mates enough". Over to you, playing group.

Greystache
27-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Pretty much what Sedat said, especially the line from Williams.

Happy with a few of the young kids, Jones, Libba, Schofield etc.

G-Mo77
27-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Slap - Paul Williams, for this post-match quote: "We're definitely going to focus on having a real defensive style as a whole group. That's something we just don't value yet. We don't value helping our mates enough". Over to you, playing group.

That's been echoed around here for a while. I'm glad to hear someone has the balls to say it.

SlimPickens
28-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Surprised Slims job on Cyril hasn't rated a mention. I only listened to the game but the commentators raved about his shut down job.

bornadog
28-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Surprised Slims job on Cyril hasn't rated a mention. I only listened to the game but the commentators raved about his shut down job.

I gave him votes for a great job done on one of the most dangerous little men in the AFL. Cyril was subbed off as he made no impact on the game.

AndrewP6
28-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I gave him votes for a great job done on one of the most dangerous little men in the AFL. Cyril was subbed off as he made no impact on the game.

Triple commentators & Doc Larkins, said he was subbed off injured. What chance they were wrong? ;)

1eyedog
28-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Slaps
Murphy... Cool head under the pump.
Jones... Showed some good signs .
Hall.. I'm enjoying the last kicks he takes for the Bulldogs.,

SLEDGES

Hill...didn't show his new team his talent. Or perhaps he did.Higgins...not even sure what to make of him.
Boyd,one stage going at 53% efficiency.
Dawks supporters, celebrating like they won the GF.

I thought he was better than most players in our side.

Higgins' defensive pressure is...well, non-existant.

I think Hawthorn fans were happy that they had officially sewed up the double chance. I'd be happy too.

G-Mo77
28-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Triple commentators & Doc Larkins, said he was subbed off injured. What chance they were wrong? ;)

He was on and off all game with what seemed like an injury and then finally subbed off. I'd be surprised if he plays next week.

1eyedog
28-08-2011, 04:02 PM

No, he was subed off becuase he was cramping in the calf and they get him off at any opportunity to conserve his doddgy hammys, especially this close to the finals.

Mantis
28-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Slaps -

Murf - having a great year off half back.
Griffen - returned to form, gave us drive from the middle.
Libba - his hands are brilliant, going to be a good player to watch over the next 10 years.
Schofield - finding his feet and looking more and more comfortable.

Sledges -

Boyd - won a lot of ball, and worked hard, but his disposal by hand & foot was terrible. Ditto Cross.
Gia - his lack of pace means he is a real liablity defensively and offensively I guess.
Grant - get on your bike son, you only have to look at Jones to see how a bit of work ethic goes a long way.
Addison - just not up to it.
Roughead - still miles off from being an AFL ruckman, miles.
MC - starting with a player behind the ball just screams, 'we are trying to limit our losses' - when the caretaker coach comes out and says we are in development mode it doesn't add up. Just let them play and learn.

edit - sledge - Higgins - just completely over you.

Remi Moses
28-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Slap- Jones ( he was very good)
Sledge- Higgins ( this bloke is going to be one of those talented types who get well paid and cruise through a league career) Not Good Enough!!:mad:

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Slap- Jones ( he was very good)
Sledge- Higgins ( this bloke is going to be one of those talented types who get well paid and cruise through a league career) Not Good Enough!!:mad:

Slap- Jones after two ordinary games began to look like a true CHF.
Slap- The emergence of Dahlhaus Markovic Liberatore Tutt and Schofield going forward has been a positive.
Sledge- After a promising first half the inability to man up all over the field was most disappointing. We play too much unaccountable football.
Sledge- Hawthorn gave us a lesson in how to dispose of the ball with Boyd and Higgins chief offenders.
Sledge- Roughead looks a second string ruckman at best in 2012.
We were outclassed in taking the ball out at the centre bounces.

BulldogBelle
29-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Slap to Bob for a top effort and good efforts also by Marko and rest of the defence.

Sledge for not backing up as pointed out - we could take a leaf out Hawthorn and Pies books there.

Sledge to the ump for not paying Griff's mark when we were only a few points down - didn't help the cause.

Desipura
29-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Slap: Jones, took advantage of the vulnerable Hawks defense by kicking 2 and giving one to Gia
Hall still capable of playing in 2012 however a nice way to go out of the game
Sledge:
Gia, your lack of pace to be able to put forward pressure is a real worry, it annoyed me no end in the 2 nd quarter when Guerra took a mark and you stood the mark, he ran around you and you directed your teammate to chase
Cross waiting for the ball