PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward jumps Bulldogs ship to join GWS

Pages : [1] 2

BulldogBelle
31-08-2011, 01:42 AM
CALLAN Ward will be a Greater Western Sydney player next year, with the emerging young midfielder having decided to leave the Western Bulldogs to take up a massive five-year offer with the AFL's expansion team.

Ward, linked to GWS for much of this season, is expected to announce his departure within the next week, most likely after the Bulldogs' final game against Fremantle on Saturday.

Ward will join GWS on a five-year contract believed to be worth $750,000-$800,000 a year, or between $3.75 million and $4 million over the life of the contract. This is expected to be front-ended in the manner of Gary Ablett's five-year deal with Gold Coast.

more (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ward-jumps-bulldog-ship-to-join-gws-20110830-1jk5s.html)

So that's the first confirming article by Jake Niall. I can't see anything official there, but you wouldn't imagine he'd stake his reputation like that without solid proof.

Goodbye Callan Ward.

divvydan
31-08-2011, 01:56 AM
I'm a little disappointed in the size of the reported contract. I've accepted for a while that he's going but if that figure is accurate, then we have no chance of getting Band 1 compensation and probably a 70-75% chance of Band 2.

Really needed the figure to be more in the $950k-$1m range to get a Band 1 compensation.

Greystache
31-08-2011, 02:03 AM
What a surprise!

After wrestling with the decsion for a gut wrenching 12 months he'll finally decide to take the money the week after the season finishes. What a *!*!*!*!ing joke!

BulldogBelle
31-08-2011, 02:04 AM
I'm a little disappointed in the size of the reported contract. I've accepted for a while that he's going but if that figure is accurate, then we have no chance of getting Band 1 compensation and probably a 70-75% chance of Band 2.

Really needed the figure to be more in the $950k-$1m range to get a Band 1 compensation.

Exactly what I thought too. The club should kick and scream about it in the Media while they still can. He's clearly worth band one as a player based on his age and ability.

lemmon
31-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Dont play him, get Wallis in, if he thinks he deserves a send off he has another thing coming. Guess there really is only one Chris Grant after all...

MrMahatma
31-08-2011, 03:52 AM

Is that true? Even at his age?

Remi Moses
31-08-2011, 04:17 AM
Dear MC
Please do not play this guy ! Bring in Wallis!
Good Riddance and enjoy that shithole .

Remi Moses
31-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Exactly what I thought too. The club should kick and scream about it in the Media while they still can. He's clearly worth band one as a player based on his age and ability.

For god sake if this is true could Garlick or Smorgon please kick up a Stink.
Stop towing the AFL Line FFS!

NoseBleed
31-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Cannot be played this week without a signature.

Ghost Dog
31-08-2011, 06:38 AM
If he does play, every play he makes should be met with stoney, Bulldog silence.

BulldogBelle
31-08-2011, 06:47 AM
No surprises here... the trend continues in that whoever was rumoured at the start of the year to be going, in actual fact has gone. (Scully will be next).
This was also the case last year with ablett/harbrow/bock/brown...
I do not believe the media speculation that has ensued throughout the last two seasons on these players. Seems to me the deals were done in the summer before the season started.

w3design
31-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Dont play him, get Wallis in, if he thinks he deserves a send off he has another thing coming. Guess there really is only one Chris Grant after all...

Absolutely...I have so much respect for Chris Grant for not turning his back on the club. Ward can get stuffed. I saw him last Sunday at Frankston v Williamstown game....Wish I knew it was definate about him leaving then.

Bulldog4life
31-08-2011, 07:44 AM
No surprises. Agree what others have said "shouldn't be played this week unless he is signed to us for next year"....which won't happen. Bring in Mitch Wallis. It will be unpalatable to many if he does play.

chef
31-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Should not play this week.

The Pie Man
31-08-2011, 08:11 AM
If he does play, every play he makes should be met with stoney, Bulldog silence.

Here's the thing, it won't be. He'll get booed. It will be embarrassing.

For that point alone, I don't believe he should play on Saturday.

I agree it will aid our long term development, but that's almost a bonus/side issue for me re: this weekend. They just can't pick him or it will be embarrassing.

For Cal...best of luck...I guess. The game/league is really testing some of the faithful

comrade
31-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Our brains trust would earn back some respect by taking a hard stance & dropping him this week. Do they have what it takes?

GVGjr
31-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Our brains trust would earn back some respect by taking a hard stance & dropping him this week. Do they have what it takes?

I believe it should be the players decision not the fans or the match committee's.
If the players don't want him on the field then he shouldn't play.

The Pie Man
31-08-2011, 08:15 AM

I'll be dumbfounded if they don't...this one has the hallmarks of a classic no brainer

Build the perception you're taking a stand, while avoiding what will be a massive embarrassment

The Pie Man
31-08-2011, 08:17 AM
I believe it should be the players decision not the fans or the match committee's.

If it comes down to Cal, I hope he shows some common sense.

What do you think the atmosphere will be like if he plays?

chef
31-08-2011, 08:20 AM

If this is the case they won't begrudge him and he will play. To the players it's just a job, they won't feel the pain of this decision like us.

I can't believe he's leaving for only an extra $300,000 or so. After tax it's really nothing.

the banker
31-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Disappointed that Cal proved that he was not Dogs person after all the profiling of the past few years. Good can come from this for the club if the compensation is fair.

The Club needs to show it's ethos. Support fully those that support us but once they jump ship that should not be played.

IMO he has the POTENTIAL to be a really good player but is not worth the money - he is no Cooney, Murph or Griff

Grantysghost
31-08-2011, 08:36 AM
That small sliver of hope resisting in my guts just got kicked out of existence... I rate this guy as high as any youngster i've seen come through in 30 + years from the first time i saw him attack a senior guy at Willy in one of his first games there. Damn AFL! Cant play this week surely, bring in Mitch.

Sedat
31-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Yet another massive fail by our general manager of footy ops. I don't want to hear about 'the system' from the Bulldogs today. So many better players than Cal were dangled the carrot and decided to stay at their respective clubs. This shit stain of a situation is a reflection on our leaders and their inability to sell the club vision to one of our best young players, pure and simple.

And some people think a new coach and gameplan is going to magically transport us back up the ladder. We are going nowhere with such an imcompetent buffoon heading our footy dept.

chef
31-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Yet another massive fail by our general manager of footy ops. I don't want to hear about 'the system' from the Bulldogs today. So many better players than Cal were dangled the carrot and decided to stay at their respective clubs. This shit stain of a situation is a reflection on our leaders and their inability to sell the club vision to one of our best young players, pure and simple.
And some people think a new coach and gameplan is going to magically transport us back up the ladder. We are going nowhere with such an imcompetent buffoon heading our footy dept.

Do you think he would have stayed if we offered more money?

MrMahatma
31-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Double post

MrMahatma
31-08-2011, 09:03 AM
If this is the case they won't begrudge him and he will play. To the players it's just a job, they won't feel the pain of this decision like us.

I can't believe he's leaving for only an extra $300,000 or so. After tax it's really nothing.
After tax it'd still be c$150k per year. Over the 3 years ($450k) or 5 years ($750k). That's a big difference. Football careers don't last forever.

He was never going to stay. The key for us is compensation and what we do with it.

Gutted we get hit 2 yrs in a row with this though!

ReLoad
31-08-2011, 09:09 AM

Thats just crap and you know it.

Its the single fault of James Fantasia is it? how the hell do you know that?
Please provide some proof that it is his direct fault or cut out the direct conjecture rubbish.

Sedat
31-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Do you think he would have stayed if we offered more money?
Dustin Martin, Matty Kreuzer, Marc Murphy, Pendlebury, Thomas, Swan, Andrew Swallow, etc... all stayed for less money than they would have commanded on the open market. Cal Ward did not. For this decision the buck stops with Fantasia, Garlick and Smorgon. They have failed miserably to sell the dream of staying at the club, to an inner western suburbs lad! Embarrassing result for the club's reputation any way you want to slice it and dice it.

chef
31-08-2011, 09:14 AM
After tax it'd still be c$150k per year. Over the 3 years ($450k) or 5 years ($750k). That's a big difference. Football careers don't last forever.

He was never going to stay. The key for us is compensation and what we do with it.

Gutted we get hit 2 yrs in a row with this though!

No it's not. Kreuzer knocked back an extra $600,000 a year over five years(according to someone in the know). 3 million dollars, Now that's a lot of money.

Hell, I've knocked back an extra $100,000 to stay working in the bush and not go back to the city(which has proved very rewarding with the restaurant I'm working at getting a 'chef's hat'). There's more to life than money.

chef
31-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Dustin Martin, Matty Kreuzer, Marc Murphy, Pendlebury, Thomas, Swan, Andrew Swallow, etc... all stayed for less money than they would have commanded on the open market. Cal Ward did not. For this decision the buck stops with Fantasia, Garlick and Smorgon. They have failed miserably to sell the dream of staying at the club, to an inner western suburbs lad! Embarrassing result for the club's reputation any way you want to slice it and dice it.

True, but I think Ward's decision says just as much about him as it does the club.

SonofScray
31-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Callan will have to pay the price now. If he plays, he deserves to be jeered off the field and at every possession. I don't want to hear about the facts from his POV, I am a fan of the Club and don't care about his bank balance etc. I don't think we as fans owe him any respect now. Good luck to him, but just as if he stayed he becomes an instant Legend, now he has gone he is an instant Villain.

FFS.

Swoop
31-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I understand the resentment but for these guys it's there livelihood, if we could take a step back for a second can anyone really be that upset for a 21 year old leaving his place of employment because he has been offered double the salary elesewhere?

Meanwhile at his current employer they are without a head coach and there is insecurity of who will replace him?

As a player you only get 10 years service if you're lucky, yes we play for the love of the game but at the same time he has his entire life ahead of him and this is a once in a lifetime opporunity. He happens to be in the right place at the right time to capitalise on a unique offer that could financially set him up for the rest of his life.

I might be in the minority but I don't think any less of Callan Ward for making this decision, I would more than likely make the same one. I wish him all the best and hope he represents the red, white & blue one last time with the same passion he always has, I can never question his endeavour on the field for us.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 09:51 AM
I understand the resentment but for these guys it's there livelihood, if we could take a step back for a second can anyone really be that upset for a 21 year old leaving his place of employment because he has been offered double the salary elesewhere?

Meanwhile at his current employer they are without a head coach and there is insecurity of who will replace him?

As a player you only get 10 years service if you're lucky, yes we play for the love of the game but at the same time he has his entire life ahead of him and this is a once in a lifetime opporunity. He happens to be in the right place at the right time to capitalise on a unique offer that could financially set him up for the rest of his life.

I might be in the minority but I don't think any less of Callan Ward for making this decision, I would more than likely make the same one. I wish him all the best and hope he represents the red, white & blue one last time with the same passion he always has, I can never question his endeavour on the field for us.

I agree.

Football is his profession. It's as simple as that. To knock back that sort of money would be foolish.

Having said that, it is really disappointing given his future in the game. He is an outstanding prospect

Dancin' Douggy
31-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Do not play him. He is not a bulldog player any more. Full stop.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2011, 10:00 AM
what makes this all the more infuriating it this quote:

''I'm here to play football for the Bulldogs and hopefully, hopefully I can work out a contract here and stay here.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldog-keen-to-stay-at-kennel-20110614-1g1y4.html

He is a backstabber and a traitor and deserves to be banished from the club immediately

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Calm down mate. You really think it is the fault of one man? I'm pissed off too but there are more issues at play here than one person. I suspect that the Cal deal was stitched up some time ago thus making it impossible to deal with him during the season.

cinder
31-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks Callen for putting dollars before loyalty to the club that gave you your first taste of AFL & nurtured you into the player and person you are today. Now piss off & I hope you enjoy living in a state where no one gives a sh*t about AFL & we can only hope it ends up a complete basket case like Port Adelaide has.

Bitter much? Damn right. This hurts my club.

EasternWest
31-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I respect that others will boo him/think he shouldn't play. I disagree, because I'm keen to see him in our number 14 one more time, but have no problem with you guys who see it otherwise. In fact, I love the passion you're putting out.

For me it's sad and disappointing, but now we've just got to make sure we do the best we can with whatever we get for him.

I don't think I can find it in me to criticise him overly. If the figures are correct, it was just too much to refuse. Dammit.

Good luck in future Cal. I won't ever boo you, but if we pound GWS every time we play you, I won't feel too sad about that either.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2011, 10:10 AM
the whole attitude of "its his job" and "imagine getting offerred 100k extra at another employer" is pure rubbish. This is footy, where loyalty means everything. He plays for a club, not working at an employer. There is a difference. He's not gettingpeanuts by staying at the dogs either. This soft, agreeable attitude is the cause of such failures from the club. We need to harden up and make a stand for the name of the club. Look at what Collingwood have accomplished by doing this. You don't see Eddie and their fans just rolling over and agreeing Thomas, Swan etc should go because the money is too good to refuse

Mofra
31-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Am I the only one who cares more about the compensation level we get than Callan leaving?
At $800k pa we'd have to be damn close to Tier 1 - after getting unders for Harbrow last year, we deserve it.

Not sure how long it will take before Cal get scalled "Callan Whore'd" in some parts either

bornadog
31-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Although it seems like he is gone, and I think he has, there is nothing in Caro's article that we already don't know.

She has no source confirming he has made the decision to leave.

cinder
31-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Am I the only one who cares more about the compensation level we get than Callan leaving?
At $800k pa we'd have to be damn close to Tier 1 - after getting unders for Harbrow last year, we deserve it.

Not sure how long it will take before Cal get scalled "Callan Whore'd" in some parts either

Still too angry to think rationally. Of course the compo matters, but I just expect to get shafted by the AFL on it.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 10:15 AM

I think the frustration comes form the fact that most supporters feel like the game which we all love is no more and it has been replaced with franchises and business models. I don't see this as a simple case of someone leaving their employer for more money. I don't get to go to work everyday doing something I love, down the road from where I live and working with my mates.

The worst thing for Callan is that everybody knows that he is leaving purely for the money. They will try and spin it with crap about the opportunity to be part of something special blah blah blah but we all know the truth.

I guess it doesn't help when the coach you've played all your footy under at the club is given the arse without a valid reason.

ReLoad
31-08-2011, 10:18 AM

Certainly true, no doubt there.

But.

GWS has a token figurehead coach who is often talking about Martians, there is no way Sheedy is the long term coach of GWS either.

To me it really is about the money a simple double ledger test shows that its not much difference apart from it:

GWS Coach: Sheedy? in figurehead
Bulldogs coach: None appointed
GWS Money: bucketloads
Bulldogs money: half a bucketload
GWS Finals in the next 3 years: No
Bulldogs finals in the next 3 years: No
GWS Mates and comrades: None
Bulldogs mates and comrades: Yes plenty
etc etc

I think its pretty clear.

As for playing him this week, If I was Paul Was Paul Williams, I'd ask him, Mate are you gone? unless he gives a definitive No. Then for your sake as well as the teams and supporters you need to sit out this week.

He's had all the time in the world to think about it and the decision time is now.

Ozza
31-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Spot on Sedat.

stefoid
31-08-2011, 10:20 AM

I think youre being naive. Which better players refused? The ones that played for Collingwood? Collingwood has money to burn - Thomas etc... will be very well looked after by the pies after they retire, and thats the start and end of it. they have the cash.

You think Ward would go to GWS if we had the money that collingwood has to 'see him right'? Of course not.

Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and West Coast wont lose any players to the expansion teams because they can afford to match GWS offers, one way or another.

Sedat
31-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Our head of football operations is directly responsible for player contract negotiations. This is a failure that can be directly attributed to Fantasia. Not sure how there can be any debate about this. Player contract negotiations and trade week negotiations are his Grand Final, and in his last 3 GF's he's lost by 100+ points.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2011, 10:23 AM

we will get 1 late first round pick. nothing more. the AFL will screw us over with the compo again. the fact that you have to "make noise" in order to get more compo is ridiculous. there should be rules set in stone that determines exactly what a club will get. tough times ahead.

choconmientay
31-08-2011, 10:26 AM

All of the players you named are playing in a team which their PS window are wide open (Collingwood, Carlton) or they are beginning to enter the PS window (Tigers, North). This does give players a big incentive to stay with their team.

The Callan Ward decision may have to do with the way we underachieved our goal this year and the outlook for the next few years. The dogs will start the rebuilding phase which we will be struggling until we get core strengths into our young players. Callan will not be part of a PS winning team within the next 3-5 years, so why not moving on and playing in a struggling team and earning 300.000 more?!

I am disappointed but can understand the decision. I guess, I wrote him off already midway through the season so I do not feel bitter.

bornadog
31-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Our head of football operations is directly responsible for player contract negotiations. This is a failure that can be directly attributed to Fantasia. Not sure how there can be any debate about this. Player contract negotiations and trade week negotiations are his Grand Final, and in his last 3 GF's he's lost by 100+ points.

I still can't believe we have lost Harbrow and now Ward, yet Collingwood can hang on to Daisy, plus all their stars. I know they are staying at a more successful club, but as you say, you have to sell the vision, mateship, family etc etc.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2011, 10:29 AM
The Callan Ward decision may have to do with the way we underachieved our goal this year and the outlook for the next few years. The dogs will start the rebuilding phase which we will be struggling until we get core strength into our young players. Callan will not be part of a PS winning team within the next 3-5 years, so why not moving on and playing in a struggling team and earning 300.000 more?!

well if he bases his decision on that it says a lot about him and his future. He's gonna have a rotten time at GWS if he cant lead a group of kids through a rebuilding phase and into the finals. He will fizzle out in the GWS midfield with no Boyd, Griff, Cooney to share the load. Scully? He has not proved anything

BulldogBelle
31-08-2011, 10:30 AM

So what are Fantasia's blunders?

3 year deal for Djerrkura after he only played 3 games for Geelong
3 deal deal for Hooper after playing 1 game
Missing out on the likes of Barlow and Faulks
Harbrow gone to GC
Ward gone to GWS
Lakes contract negotiations - being strung out for so long
The glut of players who are 28+ and less than 21...
Not trading Josh Hill when he had some value

BulldogBelle
31-08-2011, 10:35 AM
well if he bases his decision on that it says a lot about him and his future. He's gonna have a rotten time at GWS if he cant lead a group of kids through a rebuilding phase and into the finals. He will fizzle out in the GWS midfield with no Boyd, Griff, Cooney to share the load. Scully? He has not proved anything

Ward and Scully will earn every extra dollar that they are paid

They will regulary be thumped by 80+ points

Both will get tagged, and cop the majority of the physical and verbal treatment from the oposition teams players

I hope they also both enjoy playing in front of home crowds of 10-11k

And for Callan, all for an extra $150k extra per season - he could have been given a decent job by a Bulldogs sponsor in Melbourne which could have delivered that

Ozza
31-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Ward and Scully will earn every extra dollar that they are paid

They will regulary be thumped by 80+ points

Both will get tagged, and cop the majority of the physical and verbal treatment from the oposition teams players

I hope they also both enjoy playing in front of home crowds of 10-11k

And for Callan, all for an extra $150k extra per season - he could have been given a decent job by a Bulldogs sponsor in Melbourne which could have delivered that

I don't remember hearing anything being offered to Callan in that way. Perhaps it was behind the scenes - but it doesn't appear to be something our club can make happen.

stefoid
31-08-2011, 10:45 AM
I still can't believe we have lost Harbrow and now Ward, yet Collingwood can hang on to Daisy, plus all their stars. I know they are staying at a more successful club, but as you say, you have to sell the vision, mateship, family etc etc.

Its got nothing to do with the 'vision' of the club, thats a load of BS. Its about the money, money, money, money, money, money.

Some clubs have it, we dont. Fantasia may be the best football manager in the workld or the worst -- I wouldnt know, but hanging Wards decision on him is ludicrous.

The only anomoly in Sedats list of players is Martin, who Im not sure that Richmond has the means to pay off. At the time he re-signed, I am told Martin was living in Greg Millers house, a young kid from wherever with stars in his eyes and Greg Millers arm draped around his shoulder whispering in his ear. Ill bet he regrets it now.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Trying hard not to be bitter and twisted here coz I really thought (hoped, dreamed) that Callan would show us his true colours and stay.

Gutted, disappointed, angry, etc., and if it's true, then he shouldn't play on Saturday.

I understand this is his "job" but you know IMO, it's just a sad, sad state of affairs when the almighty dollar is the only motivation for someone to make a change. Maybe I'm just an old "fuddy-duddy" but mateship, loyalty and achieving a legendry-like status as a western suburbs boy who stayed around far outweight bucks in the pocket for me.......:(

bornadog
31-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Its got nothing to do with the 'vision' of the club, thats a load of BS. Its about the money, money, money, money, money, money.

Some clubs have it, we dont. .

What is BS is your post. If it was money then why didn't Daisy sign up for the million odd per year?

cinder
31-08-2011, 10:50 AM
I understand this is his "job" but you know IMO, it's just a sad, sad state of affairs when the almighty dollar is the only motivation for someone to make a change. Maybe I'm just an old "fuddy-duddy" but mateship, loyalty and achieving a legendry-like status as a western suburbs boy who stayed around far outweight bucks in the pocket for me.......:(

Yup. Likewise. Whoever started the other thread about following AFL not being worth it could be right.

choconmientay
31-08-2011, 10:52 AM

Yeah, That's always the case with young peoples. (Just remember Callan in only 21 years young). They made decision which they may regret later on but I think Callan will only see the big carrot for now and won't think about what will happen next year.

That is why I agreed with Sedat that the club has failed big time to sell the dream to Callan. He could choose to follow the footstep of Grant and could become one of the club greatest as well. What a shame!

Maddog37
31-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Sedat I assume you are a paid up member and you are obviously passionate. Rather than continually run an anti-Fantasia web campaign why not go down to the club and confront him. It will save time and thread space.......

Greystache
31-08-2011, 10:54 AM

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. The players don't play for the supporters, as keeps getting said, it's a job to them.

If we drop Ward his mates will get upset, yet if we play him the supporters will boo him, which will upset his mates.

The better option is to not play him and at least externally appear to make a stand.

Ozza
31-08-2011, 10:56 AM

We all know he left for the money - but what Bornadog is saying is - that we know we couldn't match the money - so what we had to do, was get in first and sell the vision of the club to be able to try and bridge the gap.

LostDoggy
I am trying so hard to be fair to Callan and not hate him for leaving us, obviously I can understand that he would not get anywhere near that sort of money from the dogs but how about the wealth you gain from the friendships with your team mates and the unwavering support from the fans. I don't know how to feel about this right now, will see when Callan comes out and does the right thing and announces it. I also think it would be a bad idea to play him on the wknd, for the club and for him.

Swoop

Perhaps if we had someone clever negotiating the contract this may have happened but clearly the dollars didn't compare. Clearly the vision and dream of the club wasn't sold well enough especially when you take into account the fact that he is a home grown product with his family and friends around the corner which is more of an indictment on our negotiators behalf than anything.

Desipura
We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. The players don't play for the supporters, as keeps getting said, it's a job to them.

If we drop Ward his mates will get upset, yet if we play him the supporters will boo him, which will upset his mates.
The better option is to not play him and at least externally appear to make a stand.
I saw Boyd being over critical to Ward on the weekend, that told me that he is pissed off with him that he is still playing even though he is heading off to GWS.

The Coon Dog
31-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Sedat I assume you are a paid up member and you are obviously passionate. Rather than continually run an anti-Fantasia web campaign why not go down to the club and confront him. It will save time and thread space.......

The alternative would be to challenge Sedat's views with facts in support of James Fantasia, something no one seems prepared to do.

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2011, 11:08 AM
The alternative would be to challenge Sedat's views with facts in support of James Fantasia, something no one seems prepared to do.

Can't be done?

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Agree. I'm not sure it would matter who was in James' position with this one. I'm guessing that they've tried to talk to Cal's management all year only to be told that they would like to wait until the end of the year to discuss contracts. Not much you can do if that is the case.

Mofra
31-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Can't be done?
It would help if we knew what Fantasia has achieved at his time in the club, which is something that even the die-hard supporters wouldn't know.

He must be a mute.

bornadog
31-08-2011, 11:18 AM
I saw Boyd being over critical to Ward on the weekend, that told me that he is pissed off with him that he is still playing even though he is heading off to GWS.

Yeah Ward looked like he was going through the motions.

LongWait
31-08-2011, 11:18 AM
It would help if we knew what Fantasia has achieved at his time in the club, which is something that even the die-hard supporters wouldn't know.

He must be a mute.

I imagine that most of Fantasia's best achievements cannot be publicly disclosed. Think about his role and whether we eally want everything he is responsible for completely disclosed. Fantasia is on a hiding to nothing and has become the Eagleton of the management (ie the whipping boy.)

Mantis
31-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I imagine that most of Fantasia's best achievements cannot be publicly disclosed. Think about his role and whether we eally want everything he is responsible for completely disclosed. Fantasia is on a hiding to nothing and has become the Eagleton of the management (ie the whipping boy.)

I thought that was Eade?

w3design
31-08-2011, 11:21 AM

I was at the Frankston v Williamstown game on Sunday and Matty Boyd and Ward were walking around with each other all day....Who knows, maybe just a smoke screen.

LongWait
31-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I thought that was Eade?

Not on here he hasn't been. This site has all but deified Eade!

Mantis
31-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Not on here he hasn't been. This site has all but deified Eade!

When you say management I took it that you were referring to the club's management?

From my position it seems that Eade has been the fall guy for what seems is an awfully big mess at the club at present.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:24 AM

At least Eagleton kicked a goal or two every now and then.
What were Fantasias best achievements? Getting Sherman.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:26 AM

But most of us aren't making assumptions out of thin air though -- we have at least some insider knowledge (a little credit here!)

Furthermore, if it was just us disgruntled supporters it's one thing, but plenty of other people in the industry talk, and the wraps on Fantasia are NOT complimentary. From all accounts, Cal would have happily signed a contract early last year when the buzz was all on Harbrow (like Wood did this year, I guess at least we learnt our lesson, albeit two years too late).

From my perspective, I don't understand how Mulligan and DJ can be given 3 year contracts on potential, but we don't try to tie up a future leader of the club to a long-term deal as early as we could have (ie. early last year)? As a club during contract negotiations, just as during trade week and draft time, we always seem to be caught by surprise or have to be reactive -- what sort of planning and risk management do we have in place?

It's also interesting that those that were most in favour of Rocket leaving because he 'didn't meet his KPIs' (a fair enough assessment) seem on the other hand to be easily pleased by our football department's record, which has certainly been dismal for the past couple of years.

bornadog
31-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I was at the Frankston v Williamstown game on Sunday and Matty Boyd and Ward were walking around with each other all day....Who knows, maybe just a smoke screen.

Not a smoke screen. Ward has been a big supporter of the guys down at Willi and gets down to games as often as he can.

LongWait
31-08-2011, 11:32 AM
When you say management I took it that you were referring to the club's management?

From my position it seems that Eade has been the fall guy for what seems is an awfully big mess at the club at present.

I don't think that the club is in a big mess at all. I think that our list is a problem because we invested in mature and tried and true players in the hope that they would lead us to the long awaited flag. That didn't and now can't happen - so we need a modest rebuild to replace most of the veterans and build a good core of 22 to 28 year old players who will lead us to the success we've all craved.

The Board's decision that we should appoint a different coach after 7 years is absolutely reasonable in my opinion but is not reasonable in the opinion of many on here.

w3design
31-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Not a smoke screen. Ward has been a big supporter of the guys down at Willi and gets down to games as often as he can.

I meant it was interesting to see Boydy and Ward walking around together if Boydy already knows of Wards decision. Wasn't questioning Wards support of Willi.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:40 AM
The Board's decision that we should appoint a different coach after 7 years is absolutely reasonable in my opinion but is not reasonable in the opinion of many on here.

Yet keeping the same president after approx 15 years (still without his goal) is ok, the football manager after 3? year with no results is ok, and the recruiting managers failure to get the best available is ok too.

w3design
31-08-2011, 11:46 AM
I am completely gutted. Agree he should not play this week. It would be a complete farce.
It's a hollow feeling right now. I just hope we threw EVERYTHING at him. I felt so disappointed when Boyd was OTC and said he hadn't talked to Ward about his decision as 'it's private'. these guys go to war together each week, put bodies on line for each other, and his captain hasn't delivered a heartfelt plea to him? Would this happen at other clubs? Does it reflect our defeatist, second best attitude to our existence in this comp?
I didn't feel before today that I could boo Cal or wish him ill but I am much more shattered than I expected. I guess I still harbored romantic notions that he was different. Footy sucks today.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm not in a position to really comment on anything that may or may not happen at the footy club. When it all boils down, I'm just a member who loves the game and who's disappointed that one of his favourite players won't be wearing the red, white and blue anymore. I just hope that we are compensated appropriately for this loss. It's so hard for clubs like ours to gain momentum in the current AFL environment. I also think that when a few things happen simultaneously, it's easy to think that the world is crumbling around us. Lets try and keep the glass half full (easier said than done I know!)

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:51 AM
The new Nathan Brown.

It's funny that if we got tier 1 compo i don't think i would be as upset.

For tier 2 its a kick in the balls.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I'll tell you what will be the glass half full...

TWO F***ING FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I'll tell you what will be the glass half full...

TWO F***ING FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS.

Lets hope so Lantern. I've spent the last couple of years teasing my Richmond mates about how we got Cal for Jordie McMahon.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Lets hope so Lantern. I've spent the last couple of years teasing my Richmond mates about how we got Cal for Jordie McMahon.

You know what? Despite getting shafted, we're still ahead on the deal. Even if we only end up with Band 2 we're still ahead on the deal (since Cal actually played for us the last couple of years, we're actually still getting a first round pick and Jordy stopped playing for Richmond a long time ago). Heck, we could get Band 5 and we would still be ahead.

That's how f-up that trade was for Richmond!

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:58 AM
You know what? Despite getting shafted, we're still ahead on the deal. Even if we only end up with Band 2 we're still ahead on the deal (since we're actually still getting a first round pick and Jordy's no longer playing AFL).

That's how f-up that trade was for Richmond!

So can we use our compensation picks in next year's draft?

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 12:01 PM
We can use them in any draft for the next 5 years i think. I hope we dont blow them this year like we did with Harbrow's picks.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 12:04 PM
We can use them in any draft for the next 5 years i think. I hope we dont blow them this year like we did with Harbrow's picks.

Ok that's good to know. The word seems to be that next year will be a good draft so hopefully we can pick wisley. Do we have to use a certain amount of picks each draft or can we choose to upgrade rookies to the senior list?

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 12:05 PM
We have to have 6 changes to our senior list.

Hotdog60
31-08-2011, 12:12 PM
On the back of this article, Callan needs to make a public announcement before the team listing this Thursday. By some chance he is still undecided the reaction by fans at the game may push him to GWS anyway.

G-Mo77
31-08-2011, 12:15 PM
If you're not with us, you're against us. Play Wallis.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 12:18 PM
I could not boo him, bu if he is gone, then piss off !

Sockeye Salmon
31-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I don't think that the club is in a big mess at all. I think that our list is a problem because we invested in mature and tried and true players in the hope that they would lead us to the long awaited flag. That didn't and now can't happen - so we need a modest rebuild to replace most of the veterans and build a good core of 22 to 28 year old players who will lead us to the success we've all craved.

Then you are kidding yourself

Chicago1
31-08-2011, 12:35 PM

Spot on.

Callan's young. He gets a JOB offer to make twice as much as his current job, a place of employment that's in turmoil. Just look at the fights and hard feelings that have been expressed on this site alone the past three weeks. I can't remember the sniping ever being so bad. We're talking about Callan's future. Not just his footy future but what comes after footy. He gets to set his life up with a chance I doubt many of us have had or ever will have. Who the hell could begrudge him that opportunity?

I'm saddened that he hasn't taken the "Chris Grant" route with this club, but we'll survive without him, I'm sure. As I said about Rocket, I wish him a winning future, but not when he's playing us.

And anyway, boofy hair is just so yesterday... ;)

Cyberdoggie
31-08-2011, 12:48 PM

To be honest when i watched him play i also thought he wasn't quite playing with his usual passion and hardness. I may of been reading into it but he gave me the impression his allegiance was moving elsewhere at that time, and in a nothing game for our club he wasn't as switched on as he normally would be.

Cyberdoggie
31-08-2011, 12:52 PM
The new Nathan Brown.

It's funny that if we got tier 1 compo i don't think i would be as upset.

For tier 2 its a kick in the balls.

Both of them individually! :eek:

If we get 2 good picks i'll be in a much better mood about all this and depending on the players we pick i may even start liking Callan Ward again (won't stop me booing him!).

soupman
31-08-2011, 01:01 PM
We have to have 6 changes to our senior list.

I believe it's three. We have to draft at least 3 players (rookie upgrades count as drafting a player though, so with Dahlhaus we only need two more spots to open up).

dogman
31-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Spot on.

Callan's young. He gets a JOB offer to make twice as much as his current job, a place of employment that's in turmoil. Just look at the fights and hard feelings that have been expressed on this site alone the past three weeks. I can't remember the sniping ever being so bad. We're talking about Callan's future. Not just his footy future but what comes after footy. He gets to set his life up with a chance I doubt many of us have had or ever will have. Who the hell could begrudge him that opportunity?

I'm saddened that he hasn't taken the "Chris Grant" route with this club, but we'll survive without him, I'm sure. As I said about Rocket, I wish him a winning future, but not when he's playing us.

And anyway, boofy hair is just so yesterday... ;)

If Callan announces he is leaving, he wouldn't have just made his mind up in the last few weeks, he would have known for a while. He had amble oportunities to sign the deal during the year.

Sedat
31-08-2011, 01:17 PM

Some clubs have it, we dont.
They aren't made of money down at Arden St but Swallow stayed. Kreuze and Murphy did likewise at a club with bigger debts than ours. Forget the Judd visy thing for a second, by offloading Fev they ensured Kreuze, Gibbs and Murphy would be paid in accordance to ward off the expansion clubs. By contrast we plunge into salary cap strife by buckling to Lake's top end demands. Not smart list management I'd have thought

Topdog
31-08-2011, 01:22 PM
All this hate for something that isn't confirmed yet.

Topdog
31-08-2011, 01:24 PM
They aren't made of money down at Arden St but Swallow stayed. Kreuze and Murphy did likewise at a club with bigger debts than ours. Forget the Judd visy thing for a second, by offloading Fev they ensured Kreuze, Gibbs and Murphy would be paid in accordance to ward off the expansion clubs. By contrast we plunge into salary cap strife by buckling to Lake's top end demands. Not smart list management I'd have thought

They didn't get rid of Fev for salary cap relief. Don't dress it up as a smart list management decision.

I'm sure just like always Kreuze, Gibbs and Murphy are being paid outside of the cap.

ledge
31-08-2011, 01:26 PM

So true read most articles and at the end it says they couldnt get in contact with manager to confirm, why would they be trying to contact him if they know?
Why write an article if you have no proof to back it up, not one article mentions a name confirming it.
Opinion articles.
Someone has said something but not the balls to come out?

Stefcep
31-08-2011, 01:27 PM
In professional sports, its about the money. Clubs are not really clubs, they are corporations in the entertainment business. You want clubs? Go to your local district footy club.

Don't blame him for taking the bucks. i would too.

But I still hate him for it, only beacsue he will end up being a gun of the league.

stefoid
31-08-2011, 01:27 PM

I dont know anything about Swallow's situation, but I reckon Carlton's modus operandi is well known. Despite their offical finanical situaion, whatever it is, they have a lot of big money corporates in their camp and those carlton players will be getting adequate compensation one way or another for staying.

If we had been able to offer Ward a similar compensation package in some way to what GWS offered, he would have stayed, obviously.

ReLoad
31-08-2011, 01:51 PM

And you don't think Cooney and Griffen earn a few bob as well?

Trying to compare clubs payments and salary caps is a nonsense argument as there are far too many variables and conditions.

Buckling in to lake's demands were prudent given the season he had and the form he was in.
I bet you $50 bucks had we have not agreed to a deal with lake you would be screaming about how crap fantasia was at not getting a deal done to keep him.

You cannot have it both ways and apart from a couple of shit 3 year deals to minor players (which EVERY club also does) its all just scape goating hyperbole.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I understand why he has made the decision and no hard feelings from me.

Callan you are gone and you will be forgotten. Lets start forgetting this week. There is no point him playing.

Sedat
31-08-2011, 02:19 PM
You cannot have it both ways and apart from a couple of shit 3 year deals to minor players (which EVERY club also does) its all just scape goating hyperbole.There has been only 1 scapegoat at the Dogs this season and it isn't Fantasia.

Paying overs for Lake sends the message to all player managers that we are a pushover at the negotiating table. The last 2 years serve proof of that.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-08-2011, 02:31 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/callan-ward-hasnt-signed-with-gws-say-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1226126415973

there is still hope yet. I wish he would announce before the freo game. Lets not boo him until we know for sure!

Hotdog60
31-08-2011, 02:48 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/callan-ward-hasnt-signed-with-gws-say-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1226126415973

there is still hope yet. I wish he would announce before the freo game. Lets not boo him until we know for sure!

As I posted earlier, we don't want to push him the wrong way. But I still think he should let us know before the game.

bornadog
31-08-2011, 02:51 PM
As I posted earlier, we don't want to push him the wrong way. But I still think he should let us know before the game.

Technically he isnot allowed to announce he has a new contract till after the last match, but he can announce he has re-signed with us:)

1eyedog
31-08-2011, 02:57 PM
What is BS is your post. If it was money then why didn't Daisy sign up for the million odd per year?

Are you really that naive? He did, we just don't see it and neither will the AFL. Ever!

bornadog
31-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Are you really that naive? He did, we just don't see it and neither will the AFL. Ever!

Not naive. Read the thread and comments.

We aren't smart enough to do a Collingwood, Carlton etc.

The Adelaide Connection
31-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Does anyone else have the feeling that when Gary Ablett Jnrs contract with the Suns is up he may want to go back to Geelong? Folau and Hunt will probably head back to rugby.

It is what it is, money talks. But if he does go I am holing on to hope that in 5 years time, as a 26 year old and in the prime of his career, Callan will want to come back to the club his heart belongs to. Don't shower him in too much vitriol just in case.

ledge
31-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Does anyone else have the feeling that when Gary Ablett Jnrs contract with the Suns is up he may want to go back to Geelong? Folau and Hunt will probably head back to rugby.

It is what it is, money talks. But if he does go I am holing on to hope that in 5 years time, as a 26 year old and in the prime of his career, Callan will want to come back to the club his heart belongs to. Don't shower him in too much vitriol just in case.

If he wants to the AFL will find some new rule to stop it;)

bulldogsman
31-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Sometimes it comes down to the individual. Swallow is a Christian, so money wouldn't/shouldn't be a big factor to him. Goldstein on the other hand might take the money.

Happy Days
31-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Sometimes it comes down to the individual. Swallow is a Christian, so money wouldn't/shouldn't be a big factor to him. Goldstein on the other hand might take the money.

If this is what I think it is, it's in extremely poor taste.

Greystache
31-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Agreed

Grantysghost
31-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Maybe we should all wear wigs in support as hitherto mentioned. He may be wooed by the WIGS!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Ditto.

bornadog
31-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Well may be bordering on poor taste but is a big generalisation.

Maddog37
31-08-2011, 04:38 PM
What do we think it is?

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 04:49 PM
We offered him 320k his manager laughed we came back with 400k his manager said seeya!!
He made his desicion the second eade adressed the playing group.

Hese not worth paying overs for, I don't think we should get hung up on it for too long.
Callan you've turned down good money a bronzE statue and a lifetime of Bulldog Immortality for 2 million hope it's worth it son.

Out. Ward.
In. Wallis.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2011, 05:04 PM
If Ward goes, he's pathetic in the way that he has dragged this out. Pathetic. At least Davis had the balls to tell Adelaide before the season was out.

If we play him, we're a gutless football club.

He'll get a vicious response from the fans on Saturday regardless ... and I think he deserves it.

If we get two first round picks for him, it's a win.

Remi Moses
31-08-2011, 05:05 PM
I think youre being naive. Which better players refused? The ones that played for Collingwood? Collingwood has money to burn - Thomas etc... will be very well looked after by the pies after they retire, and thats the start and end of it. they have the cash.

You think Ward would go to GWS if we had the money that collingwood has to 'see him right'? Of course not.

Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and West Coast wont lose any players to the expansion teams because they can afford to match GWS offers, one way or another.

So explain why Swallow stayed at North?
Explain why Martin stayed at Richmond?
Bucketloads of money me thinks not!
Ward is a liar, all that Bullshit about being near mates,and home.
Just utter utter Lies!

The Underdog
31-08-2011, 05:05 PM
What do we think it is?

A crass generalisation based on religious stereotypes...at best

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Just utter utter Lies!

I'm told Eade leaving had alot to do with it not just the money.
If we get what Geelong got then I think it's def. a win for us. Look he will be a gun for three years but I have concerns with his pace. Future wise if we get two picks we win.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 05:19 PM

Exactly. I'll wait until it's definate and then I will get upset. :(

Remi Moses
31-08-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm told Eade leaving had alot to do with it not just the money.
If we get what Geelong got then I think it's def. a win for us. Look he will be a gun for three years but I have concerns with his pace. Future wise if we get two picks we win.

I'd heard he'd signed way before Rocket got the Rasberry and Sarse.
My anger like some others will evaporate if we get two first round picks!
I think we have his type covered with Libba and Wallis.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I'd heard he'd signed way before Rocket got the Rasberry and Sarse.
My anger like some others will evaporate if we get two first round picks!
I think we have his type covered with Libba and Wallis.

My thoughts exactly 10 years ago he'd be anything but the games changing and our midfield needs something he can't offer

Ghost Dog
31-08-2011, 05:41 PM
My thoughts exactly 10 years ago he'd be anything but the games changing and our midfield needs something he can't offer

He might not be gone yet.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/122351/default.aspx

Come on Callan. Stick with us.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 05:46 PM
He might not be gone yet.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/122351/default.aspx

Come on Callan. Stick with us.

Oh Ghost stop tickling the pig hehe

Wards Gonesky.

Ghost Dog
31-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Oh Ghost stop tickling the pig hehe

Wards Gonesky.

HaHa. Pigs might fly eh?

I've never heard that expression before! I like it.
2011 has been F*** Miserable. Started by getting dacked by Essendon.
Ward / Eade / Injuries.
And now, the tedium of a long off season with no footy at all!
but, at least I can chant LIBBA again...never tire of that.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 05:57 PM
HaHa. Pigs might fly eh?

Ward / Eade / Injuries.

Yep end it now Mate you could spend the off season cheering Liverpool they are paying great overs on the handicap :)

FrediKanoute
31-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Thats just crap and you know it.

Its the single fault of James Fantasia is it? how the hell do you know that?
Please provide some proof that it is his direct fault or cut out the direct conjecture rubbish.

Its a collective football department problem/mistake. Why wasn't Ward signed on a longer contract that would take him past this period? James as the manager of that department will gladly bask in the glories.....this then is a low he needs to take responsibility for. If Ward has gone, he should be shown the door.

bornadog
31-08-2011, 05:58 PM
HaHa. Pigs might fly eh?

Ward / Eade / Injuries.

Lots of negatives for 2011, but also some positives:

* Libba - as you mentioned
* Dahlhaus - excitement
* Introducing 14 new players including 10 debutantes
* Game time for a future KPP Jones, as well as Roughead and Wood
* Beating Carlton

and possibly two first round picks for Ward.

cinder
31-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Its a collective football department problem/mistake. Why wasn't Ward signed on a longer contract that would take him past this period? James as the manager of that department will gladly bask in the glories.....this then is a low he needs to take responsibility for. If Ward has gone, he should be shown the door.

I dunno but I hope someone bloody signs up Dahlhaus for well beyond this period. Can't take another year of this frankly - and that goes for all our players.

stefoid
31-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Just utter utter Lies!

Swallow? I dont know. thats Christians for you :p

Martin I think was simply mesmerized by Miller, in whose house he was living at the time he re-signed. But who knows?

Ghost Dog
31-08-2011, 06:05 PM

* Dahlhaus - excitement
* Beating Carlton

I love your optimism BAD, but really is a huge low point right now. Hard times ahead I'm afraid.

Greystache
31-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Swallow? I dont know. thats Christians for you :p

Martin I think was simply mesmerized by Miller, in whose house he was living at the time he re-signed. But who knows?

Religious slurs aside, it's not even Christians, the theory relates to Catholics.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 06:10 PM

* Dahlhaus - excitement
* Beating Carlton

This. If we get two first rounders with finishing low next year our fall will be very short lived. We will rise again!

kruder
31-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Ward is hardly Judas.

Good luck Callan but agree with many, he should not be in the team this week.

FrediKanoute
31-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Ward is hardly Judas.

Good luck Callan but agree with many, he should not be in the team this week.

As bad as Judas....at least. I hope he has as much success as N Brown did when he jumped ship......

Ghost Dog
31-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Totally Disagree GVGjnr

I don't see how it's the players choice. The priority is to the game at hand.
If he goes, and it seems a Fait accompli, then Ward is no longer one of us in spirit
Like last week, his heart will not clearly be in it.
In order to win the game, we need committed players. It's up to the coach and match committee to do everything they can to win that game. Everyone seems to think it's already in the bag. Games are lost like that. Look at Essendon V Port last week. Near thing for the bombles.

We want to win, play to win, and must field the bulldogs that care about the result. The MC ( If, as everyone says, he is a goner ) are negligent if they play him

w3design
31-08-2011, 06:50 PM
What do we think it is?

Tasteless racism which should be removed.

ledge
31-08-2011, 07:00 PM

* Dahlhaus - excitement
* Beating Carlton

Awesome post BD this is what I want on this forum not doom and gloom, go pups!

Maddog37
31-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Tasteless racism which should be removed.

Ok, just reread it. Got it now.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 07:52 PM
I hate to be Mr glass half empty. But I Die a little when I hear all the posts about draft picks for giving up Ward.
We selected Ward from a compensation or trade pick from a player we gave up. Then we took on the gamble, put the hard yards in, developed a future gun and right when he hits his straps........ someone takes him away and then (if we are lucky) we get a couple more picks that may or may not develop into half the footballer Ward is.
What are we? A "Feeder team" to the other clubs??
Quick sign everyone who shows something to ten year contracts. Make Dolly sign a 15yr one to be safe.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 07:56 PM
I hate to be Mr glass half empty. But I Die a little when I hear all the posts about draft picks for giving up Ward.
We selected Ward from a compensation or trade pick from a player we gave up. Then we took on the gamble, put the hard yards in, developed a future gun and right when he hits his straps........ someone takes him away and then (if we are lucky) we get a couple more picks that may or may not develop into half the footballer Ward is.
What are we? A "Feeder team" to the other clubs??
Quick sign everyone who shows something to ten year contracts. Make Dolly sign a 15yr one to be safe.

Love it. :)

You know what's great though -- if we keep splitting these first round draft picks into two picks after a couple of years of development (two into four, four into eight, etc. etc.), we may end up with a whole team made up of first round draft picks in 2026.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Love it. :)

You know what's great though -- if we keep splitting these first round draft picks into two picks after a couple of years of development (two into four, four into eight, etc. etc.), we may end up with a whole team made up of first round draft picks in 2026.

BAM!
From glass half empty to glass half full in one post.

AndrewP6
31-08-2011, 08:24 PM
If it's true, he shouldn't be played this week. Until confirmed, I won't say more...then I'll unleash!

Flamethrower
31-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I have heard both Fantasia and Williams on the radio today and both are in denial about Jake Niall's story ie that Ward has made a decision. So either it is a total fabrication, or Ward is going to do the ultimate betrayal and walk out on the club without having the guts to front his teammates or give his fans a chance to give him the sendoff he deserves.

DOG GOD
31-08-2011, 08:39 PM
If it is true, he can F OFF!!!. WAS my fave player.

Makes you look at Chris Grant in the highest HIGHEST regard.

bulldogsman
31-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Agreed

Well may be bordering on poor taste but is a big generalisation.

Ditto.

A crass generalisation based on religious stereotypes...at best

The bible clearly states that money is the root of all evil. Jesus even said don't be greedy, that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God. Personal Salvation and the Salvation of others is much more important then money etc. It's all in there I had to learn it.

I don't understand the problem with what I said.

w3design
31-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Since everyone is stepping round it I'll bite

So what makes someone with a Anglo name less likely to take the money them someone with a Jewish name?

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 10:34 PM
it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God.

Is this true?
Callan is screwed then! Unless he uses his new found wealth to breed a super race of contortionist camels?

bulldogsman
31-08-2011, 10:42 PM

So what makes someone with a Anglo name less likely to take the money them someone with a Jewish name?

Oh! I didn't mean it like that, sorry if I offended anyone.

That's quite embarrassing :o:o:o

Ghost Dog
31-08-2011, 10:44 PM
If it is true, he can F OFF!!!. WAS my fave player.

Makes you look at Chris Grant in the highest HIGHEST regard.

DOG GOD! stamps his authority on the boards. Love the succinct but correct post! :D

DOG GOD
31-08-2011, 11:02 PM
DOG GOD! stamps his authority on the boards. Love the succinct but correct post! :D

I just get really peeved off when he decides now, when most likely he knew at the start of the year. To me it smells of dishonesty. Geelong and Brisbane have been successful because they ahve been able to keep their core group together on lower contracts because they wanted success together. As much as i like Ward as a player, i am disheartened if he has gone for the money when surely the sole reason to play footy is a premiership, and even though he may not have got one with the dogs, he certainly wont with GWS :) Thats the karma.

AndrewP6
31-08-2011, 11:08 PM

Uh....well.... the stereotypical Jewish person is supposedly rather...um... frugal with their money, and fond of having lots of it.

*Apologies to any Jewish WOOFers, or friends of.

AndrewP6
31-08-2011, 11:10 PM
The bible clearly states that money is the root of all evil. Jesus even said don't be greedy, that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God. Personal Salvation and the Salvation of others is much more important then money etc. It's all in there I had to learn it.

I don't understand the problem with what I said.

It came across as sounding like Goldstein would be more likely to take the money due to his (likely) Jewish heritage.

w3design
31-08-2011, 11:19 PM
I just get really peeved off when he decides now, when most likely he knew at the start of the year. To me it smells of dishonesty. Geelong and Brisbane have been successful because they ahve been able to keep their core group together on lower contracts because they wanted success together. As much as i like Ward as a player, i am disheartened if he has gone for the money when surely the sole reason to play footy is a premiership, and even though he may not have got one with the dogs, he certainly wont with GWS :) Thats the karma.

:)Ask Nathan Brown about karma....

Doc26
31-08-2011, 11:22 PM
DogGod, as much as I hate saying it, history would indicate he is more certain of a flag at GWS than holding out for our 2nd. The AFL will contrive a finals berth for this mob before it is warranted.

I'm more filthy that 'have not' teams like ours have been left completely vulnerable whilst the AFL continues with its play thing of expanding into new frontiers and that the presidents allegedly endorsed it. Yes, I'm very disappointed with Cal. assuming he has decided to leave the Bulldog family but my 'anger' continues to be with the AFL who continue to screw us over. As in life, the rich get richer ...... etc

Ghost Dog
31-08-2011, 11:26 PM
DogGod, as much as I hate saying it, history would indicate he is more certain of a flag at GWS than holding out for our 2nd. The AFL will contrive a finals berth for this mob before it should be warranted.

Port Adelaide says hello

bulldogsman
31-08-2011, 11:29 PM
[/B]

It came across as sounding like Goldstein would be more likely to take the money due to his (likely) Jewish heritage.

Yep, yep I get it now. I didn't think that one through :o

DOG GOD
31-08-2011, 11:48 PM
DogGod, as much as I hate saying it, history would indicate he is more certain of a flag at GWS than holding out for our 2nd. The AFL will contrive a finals berth for this mob before it is warranted.

I'm more filthy that 'have not' teams like ours have been left completely vulnerable whilst the AFL continues with its play thing of expanding into new frontiers and that the presidents allegedly endorsed it. Yes, I'm very disappointed with Cal. assuming he has decided to leave the Bulldog family but my 'anger' continues to be with the AFL who continue to screw us over. As in life, the rich get richer ...... etc

I would be VERY suprised if GWS makes the 8 in their first 5 years let alone win a flag. They may well win one before we do, doesnt mean Ward will be playing when it happens. I for one hope its after the year he retires :)

Swoop
31-08-2011, 11:49 PM
The reality is Ward won't announce an official decision until the season is over, he will play the last game end of story. The Phil Davis scenario and the AFL ensuring we don't become similar to the NRL with mid season decisions will ensure it doesn't happen. Emotion aside, what would Ward gain by announcing his decision now instead of next week?

Hypothetically if he made his decision in round 4 should he have announced it and sat out the year? Eade has been on record all of last season stating even if Harbrow left we would have still played him, it begs the question if we were in the same boat and genuine premiership contenders, would people still be so quick to show him the door knowing he could be the difference between winning and losing a flag?

AndrewP6
31-08-2011, 11:51 PM
The reality is Ward won't announce an official decision until the season is over, he will play the last game end of story. The Phil Davis scenario and the AFL ensuring we don't become similar to the NRL with mid season decisions will ensure it doesn't happen. Emotion aside, what would Ward gain by announcing his decision now instead of next week?

Why does he have to gain something? Doesn't he stand to gain enough?

KT31
01-09-2011, 12:17 AM
On what ground do we all base that Ward has left ?
I have heard there may be a second thought to him putting pen to paper with GWS.
This thread and others are all based on one article and speculation, which may be true but very harsh if not.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2011, 01:45 AM
On what ground do we all base that Ward has left ?
I have heard there may be a second thought to him putting pen to paper with GWS.
This thread and others are all based on one article and speculation, which may be true but very harsh if not.

Right!
COME ON CALLAN!!!! We WANT you
Get behind him Red white and blue army...

FrediKanoute
01-09-2011, 03:09 AM
I would be VERY suprised if GWS makes the 8 in their first 5 years let alone win a flag. They may well win one before we do, doesnt mean Ward will be playing when it happens. I for one hope its after the year he retires :)

Its a fair chance of a reality. I realise money plays a big part in decisions, but Ward is in for a battering. At the Bulldogs he's has shared the midfield role with Cooney, Griff, Cross, Boyd etc. At GWS he will shoulder it.....I predict that by the time he is 26/27 his body will be battered and by the time GWS make a GF, he will be a fringe player, unable to get through a whole season.

westbulldog
01-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Good luck to him spending the next 5 years ogling his bank statement but this week, don't select him, take his jumper, close his locker, tear up his membership, give someone else his carpark, buy him an airticket to Sydney and make sure he gets on the plane.
Nobody is indispensable and loyalty is not for sale. CYA Cal

BulldogBelle
01-09-2011, 05:34 AM
Its a fair chance of a reality. I realise money plays a big part in decisions, but Ward is in for a battering. At the Bulldogs he's has shared the midfield role with Cooney, Griff, Cross, Boyd etc. At GWS he will shoulder it.....I predict that by the time he is 26/27 his body will be battered and by the time GWS make a GF, he will be a fringe player, unable to get through a whole season.

Precisely. He'll get smashed from pillar to post weekly. He already does with us under our protection! (which admittedly is lacking at times)

I posted this thread, and I'm also the one who posted the thread pondering whether AFL is actually worth it anymore. I feel Callan Wards decision has much more significance to us than he could honestly possibly realise.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Good luck to him spending the next 5 years ogling his bank statement but this week, don't select him, take his jumper, close his locker, tear up his membership, give someone else his carpark, buy him an airticket to Sydney and make sure he gets on the plane.
Nobody is indispensable and loyalty is not for sale. CYA Cal

He's not gone yet! He may actually come on this forum. He may actually be in the position of hesitating. Encourage him. Don't slag him for a deal we are not sure of.

Maddog37
01-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Precisely. He'll get smashed from pillar to post weekly. He already does with us under our protection! (which admittedly is lacking at times)

I posted this thread, and I'm also the one who posted the thread pondering whether AFL is actually worth it anymore. I feel Callan Wards decision has much more significance to us than he could honestly possibly realise.

C'mon St07, don't let the bastards get you down!!!!!

bornadog
01-09-2011, 10:26 AM
The whole Ward saga is not Wards fault, its the fault of the AFL allowing this sort of money to be thrown at young kids like Ward and Scully. Its also the failure of our club to have not convinced him to stay.

What is poor Ward to do at the age of 21 being offered $800,000 per annum. He has to weight that up with leaving his family and friends, his team mates, his surroundings and he doesn't even know who will be his new coach if he were to stay.

If he takes the money, he will be at a start up club under Sheedy, the coach he looked up to as an Essendon supporter, probably with great facilities, more staff, more spending on the football department. He will be in a team that will endure some big floggings and probably won't play finals for at least 3 years.

At age 21 these are big decisions and all Bulldog supporters should understand if he leaves its a once in a lifetime opportunity. Of course as Bulldog supporters we have every right to boo him next year.

Mofra
01-09-2011, 10:28 AM
I think it does affect the level of passion for which some will feel for the game.
Watching football in the 80s, you knew most of the players were locals who would bleed for the jumper.
In the modern game players are still willing to bleed for their mates, but the colour of the jumper is irrelevant in many cases.
Attendances and TV ratings are (anecdotally) down this year - have the AFL started a trend?

Mantis
01-09-2011, 10:30 AM
The whole Ward saga is not Wards fault, its the fault of the AFL allowing this sort of money to be thrown at young kids like Ward and Scully. Its also the failure of our club to have not convinced him to stay.

What is poor Ward to do at the age of 21 being offered $800,000 per annum. He has to weight that up with leaving his family and friends, his team mates, his surroundings and he doesn't even know who will be his new coach if he were to stay.

If he takes the money, he will be at a start up club under Sheedy, the coach he looked up to as an Essendon supporter, probably with great facilities, more staff, more spending on the football department. He will be in a team that will endure some big floggings and probably won't play finals for at least 3 years.

At age 21 these are big decisions and all Bulldog supporters should understand if he leaves its a once in a lifetime opportunity. Of course as Bulldog supporters we have every right to boo him next year.

One could argue it would be the same playing for us... At least this way he gets paid double doing so.

Agree with the sentiment though, he has been put in a terrible position due the exceptional circumstances the AFL has created.

SlimPickens
01-09-2011, 12:05 PM

Agree with this. I'm not angry at Cal, just disappointed that he made this decision.

Murphy'sLore
01-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Me three.

Very disappointed but can't be bitter at Callan -- just furious with the AFL.

Maddog37
01-09-2011, 12:26 PM
My emotions swing daily on this one.

I think until we see Cal talk about his decision it will be hard to decide how you view him going forward.

I understand the cash side of things but still hate the idea of anyone turning their back on the Dogs.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-09-2011, 12:38 PM

The blame for Callan Ward's departure rests solely with the AFL in their decision to allow GWS open recruitment without imposing restrictions like length of service, age etc to protect clubs like the Western Bulldogs being targeted. Melbourne is in a similar problem with the potential loss of Scully. On the question of Lake there has been little argument on his contract dollars increase coming on the top of two All Australian selections.
All roads appear to lead to blaming Fantasia for the loss of Ward but knowing David Smorgan's standing, I am sure he and the Board would have done everything possible to retain his services. I would like to see Ward play at the weekend and who knows one day we might see him back in the red, white and blue.

Grantysghost
01-09-2011, 12:44 PM

The clubs signed off on it - so they're as much to blame.

Mantis
01-09-2011, 12:54 PM

They were never in a position to go against the AFL on this one.

bornadog
01-09-2011, 01:00 PM

Yes all AFL Clubs agreed to the terms of the new club coming in, but as Mantis says, did we have much choice with the bully boys from AFL HQ?

SlimPickens
01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
I know it won't but does the fact we have now lost two players to the expansion clubs, play any part in the compensation?

Greystache
01-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I know it won't but does the fact we have now lost two players to the expansion clubs, play any part in the compensation?

I think you're being a bit hopeful there mate.

Murphy'sLore
01-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Let's all march on AFL House and demand what we're due.

Doc26
01-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Maybe hopeful but should still form part of the Club's case in lobbying for a fair deal. We must be on the front foot in pushing a claim for losing two players that we have invested something like 8 years combined development in and where both had moved beyond simply being speculative opportunities to locks in the best half of our starting 22.

Grantysghost
01-09-2011, 01:29 PM

If they could rewind it now i reckon they might argue a bit harder.

Grantysghost
01-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Maybe hopeful but should still form part of the Club's case in lobbying for a fair deal. We must be on the front foot in pushing a claim for losing two players that we have invested something like 8 years combined development in and where both had moved beyond simply being speculative opportunities to locks in the best half of our starting 22.

Something better than Justin Sherman would be nice!

choconmientay
01-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Something better than Justin Sherman would be nice!

Yeah ... better in both ... skills and characters.

SlimPickens
01-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Thinking if we kick up a stink and point at the fact that we have now lost 2 potentially very good footballers (not to mention Cal will be a leader at GWS). We might possible get him lifted to category 1 in terms of compensation.

Topdog
01-09-2011, 01:47 PM
If they could rewind it now i reckon they might argue a bit harder.

and the AFL would reject it a bit harder too. The clubs had 0 power on this one.

LostDoggy
01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
A good friend of mine & his little boy were at training yesterday - did anyone see the footage of Callan holding the little boy and his Dad taking the photo? Well, I spoke to the Dad today & he said if he'd thought it through he would've given his son $5 to give to Callan. :D

I'm still hoping for a nice announcement before Saturdays game saying Callan has re-signed with the Bulldogs. :)

Murphy'sLore
01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm still hoping for a nice announcement before Saturdays game saying Callan has re-signed with the Bulldogs. :)

Surely if that was going to happen, he would have put us all out of our misery by now :(

LostDoggy
01-09-2011, 02:24 PM

We should all be getting on the front foot as memebers and writing or emailing Andrew Demetriou about how our club has been severely disadvantaged by losing not one, but two of our young players to the new clubs.

None of the high profile clubs have been affected this way and it puts an absolute dent in our clubs hopes of securing a premiership in the future. The AFL should have made a decidion that GC and GWS could only take players from clubs who had won a premiership in the past 10 years to protect clubs like us whose members havent enjoyed such success.

So, come on Bulldogs supporters ..... get writing.

The Underdog
01-09-2011, 02:45 PM
We should all be getting on the front foot as memebers and writing or emailing Andrew Demetriou about how our club has been severely disadvantaged by losing not one, but two of our young players to the new clubs.

None of the high profile clubs have been affected this way and it puts an absolute dent in our clubs hopes of securing a premiership in the future. The AFL should have made a decidion that GC and GWS could only take players from clubs who had won a premiership in the past 10 years to protect clubs like us whose members havent enjoyed such success.

Unfortunately you're relying on the assumption that Demetriou cares about anything other than getting GWS to a finals series as quickly as possible

Doc26
01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
The AFL should have made a decidion that GC and GWS could only take players from clubs who had won a premiership in the past 10 years to protect clubs like us whose members havent enjoyed such success.

Although I'd be happy to negotiate that down to only Clubs that had won a premiership in the past 50 years

bornadog
01-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Although I'd be happy to negotiate that down to only Clubs that had won a premiership in the past 60 years

Don't remind us Doc, its depressing.:(

Grantysghost
01-09-2011, 04:18 PM
and the AFL would reject it a bit harder too. The clubs had 0 power on this one.

Sad but true i guess. The rule makers seem to make policy on the fly, GWS having two years to grab uncontracted players v the Suns one is a tad confusing.

Cyberdoggie
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Sad but true i guess. The rule makers seem to make policy on the fly, GWS having two years to grab uncontracted players v the Suns one is a tad confusing.

Possibly because clubs signing up big name players to stop them from going to the GC are less likely to sign them to deal that would see them out past the second year window that GWS has. If it was just the 1 year for both GC and GWS then there would be few uncontracted players available.

the banker
01-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Not that silly

The Coon Dog
01-09-2011, 07:10 PM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Untitled-1-17.jpg

bornadog
01-09-2011, 07:11 PM
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Untitled-1-17.jpg

TCD, I knew you would be the one to do this.:D

chef
01-09-2011, 07:13 PM

That just makes me feel sick.

The Coon Dog
01-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Yup, effing heartbreaking. Wonder why people hate footy nowdays!

LostDoggy
01-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Agreed. Is there a 'vomit' emoticon?

Greystache
01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Cheers TCD, good stuff

w3design
01-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Me too. Footy, 2011 style. Soulless plastic & meaningless. Products, stakeholders, business models, and franchises.

The Coon Dog
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Agreed. Is there a 'vomit' emoticon?

http://i0.peperonity.info/c/BB15A2/952479/ssc3/home/061/starvic2.0/albums/vomit.gif_320_320_256_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.gif http://i0.peperonity.info/c/BB15A2/952479/ssc3/home/061/starvic2.0/albums/vomit.gif_320_320_256_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.gif http://i0.peperonity.info/c/BB15A2/952479/ssc3/home/061/starvic2.0/albums/vomit.gif_320_320_256_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.gif

Rocco Jones
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM

Oh Barry you sadomasochistic (ignore sexual connotation please) you. I bet you even enjoy watching the '97 prelim!

LostDoggy
01-09-2011, 07:19 PM
http://i0.peperonity.info/c/BB15A2/952479/ssc3/home/061/starvic2.0/albums/vomit.gif_320_320_256_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.gif http://i0.peperonity.info/c/BB15A2/952479/ssc3/home/061/starvic2.0/albums/vomit.gif_320_320_256_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.gif http://i0.peperonity.info/c/BB15A2/952479/ssc3/home/061/starvic2.0/albums/vomit.gif_320_320_256_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.gif

Wow, that sums it up for me perfectly.

Footy can go get f***ed for a while.

Greystache
01-09-2011, 07:20 PM
TCD any chance you can put the picture against the background of empty stands so we can get a perspective of how he'll look next year? :D

Rocco Jones
01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I think Callan Ward will fit in well in Blacktown.

Mantis
01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
I think Callan Ward will fit in well in Blacktown.

On his salary he could probably buy Blacktown.

Rocco Jones
01-09-2011, 07:26 PM
On his salary he could probably buy Blacktown.

Especially funny because you kind of have to do the maths to work out it's just a joke.. only just.

bornadog
01-09-2011, 07:27 PM
You know I have watched some real champions leave us over the years. In the 70's and 80's it was a joke losing several brownlow medallists and others players going on to win one. Some how I am immune to Ward leaving, I am disappointed but I am also looking forward to getting drfat picks and hopefully we get two 1st rounders and add that to our first rounder in 2012 we could have some good kids in 2013.

The ones that pissed me off:

Dempsey
Quinlan
Round
Tempelton
Wilson (after winning two brownlows)
Edmond
Hardie
Nathan Brown
Harbrow and now Ward.

Have I missed any.

Rocco Jones
01-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I am copying and pasting a post of mine from another thread because it belongs here more (and I am the king of self promotion)

My only issue with dropping Ward is if he either deluding himself into thinking he might stay and sees us dropping him as one reason to go or he just flat out conveniently uses it as an excuse to leave to his mates. I know it wouldn't work on the fans but you're always biased to your mates and it could affect morale.

One thing I gotta say that annoys me is this view that anyone would leave in Ward's situation. I am sure I am not alone but I am qualified to work in two industries and I have selected a job that gets me much less pay because I actually love it and the place I work. I am not trying to be self righteous and really don't blame people who value money really highly when it comes to work, just that not EVERYONE is like that.

Also, the 'twice' as much argument is BS IMO. I think there is a much bigger difference lifestyle wise between earning say $50k p.a and $100k than their is between earning $450 k and $950. I have heard comments about Ward having a chance to 'buy a house' and all that if he goes to GWS. If you can't live comfortably on $450k than he is dumber than I thought.

One more thing. I don't and won't really hate Ward but 'poor Callan' calls? Please, spare me. Anyone who uses 'poor' or feels sorry for him due to the scenario is seriously extremely naive.

w3design
01-09-2011, 07:33 PM
It's a family joke that my mother, who's as passionate as they come, has always put a 'curse' on players that leave. It started when she predicted that Dempsey, who left to play in a 'successful club' would never play in a premiership. She kept vowing no player who left us would taste success. It got a bit creepy when Templeton did his knee, and when Brown broke his leg...:eek:

Callan..reconsider!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-09-2011, 07:44 PM
You know I have watched some real champions leave us over the years. In the 70's and 80's it was a joke losing several brownlow medallists and others players going on to win one. Some how I am immune to Ward leaving, I am disappointed but I am also looking forward to getting drfat picks and hopefully we get two 1st rounders and add that to our first rounder in 2012 we could have some good kids in 2013.

Dempsey
Quinlan
Round
Tempelton
Edmond
Hardie
Nathan Brown
Harbrow and now Ward.

Have I missed any.

He was lucky enough to win the 1 brownlow... in what parallel universe did he win a 2nd in?

Rocket Science
01-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Dempsey
Quinlan
Round
Tempelton
Edmond
Hardie
Nathan Brown
Harbrow and now Ward.

Have I missed any.

May I add Tony McGuinness to the roll call?

Also granted quite different circumstances and included more for its topical relevance but having to witness Leon Cameron run around for that Punt Road rabble wasn't exactly a joy.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2011, 07:57 PM
It's a family joke that my mother, who's as passionate as they come, has always put a 'curse' on players that leave. It started when she predicted that Dempsey, who left to play in a 'successful club' would never play in a premiership. She kept vowing no player who left us would taste success. It got a bit creepy when Templeton did his knee, and when Brown broke his leg...:eek:

Callan..reconsider!!

Western Suburbs Voodo - Interesting!
How does she actually do it? Grind up some bulldog hair and water from the Maribynong in a plastic replica of the 54 trophy...evoke the ghost of EJ...Macbethian Images spring to mind...:D

w3design
01-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Western Suburbs Voodo - Interesting!
How does she actually do it? Grind up some bulldog hair and water from the Maribynong in a plastic replica of the 54 trophy...evoke the ghost of EJ...Macbethian Images spring to mind...:D
Her methodology is shrouded in mystery but her success rate is scary!

LostDoggy
01-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Wow, that sums it up for me perfectly.

Footy can go get f***ed for a while.

^^This. And that's the problem.

Our poor effing club that's been around for 100 million yesrs is going to doubly suffer as members go sit somewhere quiet away from the f'ing game to recover. It won't be the poor year we've had. It'll be because of the a*** humping we've copped out of this rule 2 years in a row. Man we better get 2 round 1's or the whole club should march on El Presidente's House of Horrors and demand answers. The pig of a man will just deny liability though a la "I don't know if Scully's going and I've made a point of not knowing"....

Tossing, gutless, pig of a creature thou art....

Sedat
01-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Losing Cal's football ability hurts but we'll get over that quickly enough. What truly riles me is that a local product who has been drafted a few hundred mertres from where he has grown up can so easily make the decision to leave the club. It is such a slap in the face for the Western Bulldogs, and it is an indictment on our leaders for not sufficiently painting the future vision and what critical part of it he would have been. Our posturing seems to have been raising the monetary value of our initial offer but little else.

I remember the time not so long ago that ordinary footballers like Ben Holland and Jade Rawlings were openly and publicly hostile about the prospect of going to the kennel? Those days were permanently gone I thought. But surely losing a homegrown player to the expansion clubs paints us in a similar unattractive light to what we endured in years past. Blaming the system or blaming Cal's greed is a copout. We need to put steps in place to rectify our wider reputation, and to do that we need to have an honest asssessment of our entire operation from top to bottom.

Rocco Jones
01-09-2011, 08:27 PM
The resemblance is striking...

Somebody help me with youtube :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDWPvhiPWg

8cDWPvhiPWg

GVGjr
01-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Is that what you were after Rocco?

Rocco Jones
01-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Is that what you were after Rocco?

That's it! Thanks.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Her methodology is shrouded in mystery but her success rate is scary!

LOL
I love that image
I might actually immortalize your gran in comic form.

Well, Callan is a tough bugger so better get her to make her hex a 'double' :D

w3design
01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Losing Cal's football ability hurts but we'll get over that quickly enough. What truly riles me is that a local product who has been drafted a few hundred mertres from where he has grown up can so easily make the decision to leave the club. It is such a slap in the face for the Western Bulldogs, and it is an indictment on our leaders for not sufficiently painting the future vision and what critical part of it he would have been. Our posturing seems to have been raising the monetary value of our initial offer but little else.

I remember the time not so long ago that ordinary footballers like Ben Holland and Jade Rawlings were openly and publicly hostile about the prospect of going to the kennel? Those days were permanently gone I thought. But surely losing a homegrown player to the expansion clubs paints us in a similar unattractive light to what we endured in years past. Blaming the system or blaming Cal's greed is a copout. We need to put steps in place to rectify our wider reputation, and to do that we need to have an honest asssessment of our entire operation from top to bottom.

One of the reasons I was in denial about Callan leaving was the memory of an article about him as the local boy, and the anecdote about Bob Murphy putting a note in his locker before his first game. These are the reasons I feel sick at the thought of him playing for GWS.

You know, this may sound weird, but if he'd left to join Collingwood or Carlton, I'd feel less sickened. At least you could see that he was chasing success, big crowds, media attention. He has basically said a wad of cash outweighs what we stand for.

It also feels like the club didn't prosecute its case with passion and conviction. Where was the emotion? When our captain says, I haven't spoken to him, it's up to him..well, either the club already knew he was gone, or we're unable to sell a dream and vision of what we are about.

w3design
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
LOL
I love that image
I might actually immortalize your gran in comic form.

Well, Callan is a tough bugger so better get her to make her hex a 'double' :D

Believe me, she's on the case already!

Ghost Dog
01-09-2011, 09:12 PM
The resemblance is striking...

Somebody help me with youtube :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cDWPvhiPWg

8cDWPvhiPWg

Thanks for making me laugh. So funny

azabob
01-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Sedat, interesting post. When I first read it I honestly thought what utter crap, as for a while you have been extremely critical of top of house which I have not necessarily agreed with, but the more I thought about this post in particular the more I am starting to agree.

We always knew from 2008(?) when we new about the expansion clubs that we wouldn't be able to match the money so we should have been working on many reasons why to stay at our club.

We obviously can't pay top dollars for employees in a coaching or admin sense so perhaps we always will be behind the eight ball in having the best of the best.

Sedat we managed to convince Akermanis and Hall (neither in their prime) however both were tainted in some shape or form so perhaps we were really the only serious suitors? So perhaps our reputation isn't what we thought it was.

Mofra
01-09-2011, 09:47 PM
One thing I gotta say that annoys me is this view that anyone would leave in Ward's situation. I am sure I am not alone but I am qualified to work in two industries and I have selected a job that gets me much less pay because I actually love it and the place I work. I am not trying to be self righteous and really don't blame people who value money really highly when it comes to work, just that not EVERYONE is like that.

Also, the 'twice' as much argument is BS IMO. I think there is a much bigger difference lifestyle wise between earning say $50k p.a and $100k than their is between earning $450 k and $950. I have heard comments about Ward having a chance to 'buy a house' and all that if he goes to GWS. If you can't live comfortably on $450k than he is dumber than I thought.
Bingo. I am starting a Masters next year to completely change careers (to something a little more altruistic), one which will most likely see a reduction in my current salary, let alone taking into CPI over 3 years, education costs, time, etc.

It's not like players don't turn down big money to stay at their current club - even close to home I know we like to deify Granty's loyalty, but Griffen turned down bigger offers from both Adelaide (to be with his family during their difficult time) and Essendon (big club, big crowds) to stay at the Bulldogs. He backs this up with perhaps his best ever year.

As ridiculous as it sounds about a player universally loved by Bulldogs fans, I wonder if we under-appreciate Griffen sometimes.

Ghost Dog
01-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Bingo. I am starting a Masters next year to completely change careers (to something a little more altruistic), one which will most likely see a reduction in my current salary, let alone taking into CPI over 3 years, education costs, time, etc.

It's not like players don't turn down big money to stay at their current club - even close to home I know we like to deify Granty's loyalty, but Griffen turned down bigger offers from both Adelaide (to be with his family during their difficult time) and Essendon (big club, big crowds) to stay at the Bulldogs. He backs this up with perhaps his best ever year.

As ridiculous as it sounds about a player universally loved by Bulldogs fans, I wonder if we under-appreciate Griffen sometimes.

Great Posts Mofra / Rocco J

I never knew that about Ryan. cheers

bornadog
01-09-2011, 11:56 PM

One more thing. I don't and won't really hate Ward but 'poor Callan' calls? Please, spare me. Anyone who uses 'poor' or feels sorry for him due to the scenario is seriously extremely naive.

an extra $500k per year for four, I would take that.

Flamethrower
02-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I could understand if Cal was only being offered around $150,000 per year by the Dogs and $800,000 by the Sheedys - he would need that much extra for a house with the extra security he will need if he lives in Sydney's outer west. There are some areas around the Riff, Rooty Hill and Blacktown that look like New York in the movie Escape from New York.

Instead it sounds like the Dogs have offered a 3 year $450,000/yr contract and the Sheedys a 5 year $750-800,000/yr contract. After taking into account the taxman, the cost of living in Sydney and the impending free agency, Cal may very well end up worse off financially once his career is over.

Could you imagine what he may demand as a free agent in 3 years time in his prime?
He may be passing up a $10 million pay day from Collingwood or Essendon by staying the extra 2 years in the football badlands of far western Sydney.

Another thing to puthtis into some sort of perspective. 3 years at $450,000 is equivalent to 30 years pay for the average worker, but is not enough for Ward.

bornadog
02-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I could understand if Cal was only being offered around $150,000 per year by the Dogs and $800,000 by the Sheedys - he would need that much extra for a house with the extra security he will need if he lives in Sydney's outer west. There are some areas around the Riff, Rooty Hill and Blacktown that look like New York in the movie Escape from New York.

Instead it sounds like the Dogs have offered a 3 year $450,000/yr contract and the Sheedys a 5 year $750-800,000/yr contract. After taking into account the taxman, the cost of living in Sydney and the impending free agency, Cal may very well end up worse off financially once his career is over.

Could you imagine what he may demand as a free agent in 3 years time in his prime?
He may be passing up a $10 million pay day from Collingwood or Essendon by staying the extra 2 years in the football badlands of far western Sydney.

Another thing to puthtis into some sort of perspective. 3 years at $450,000 is equivalent to 30 years pay for the average worker, but is not enough for Ward.

With respect, I bet 95% of sports people would take $4 million over 5 instead of $1.35 million over 3. The guy is 21, this is a once in a life time opportunity.

I hate losing him as much as every one else and blame the AFL for creating this situation, not Callan Ward.

Hot_Doggies
02-09-2011, 11:31 AM
'IF' Ward goes and we get 2 picks, it would be very tempting to dangle Lake as trade bait to Hawks/Blues etc ...

That could speed up the rebuilding phase.

Sockeye Salmon
02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I could understand if Cal was only being offered around $150,000 per year by the Dogs and $800,000 by the Sheedys -

I could understand it if we offered $150K and GWS offered $300K - that would make a significant difference to his lifestyle.

What difference will it make to his day-to-day standard of living jumping from $450K to $800K? He'll pay his house off 3 years earlier, perhaps. Maybe he's concerned he'll be stuck driving a Mercedes CLS500 rather than the CL600?

Murphy'sLore
02-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Some people here need to take a deep breath. He hasn't signed up for one of Hitler's death squads ffs - he's going to play football for a different club. Let's keep things in perspective.

Having said that, all power to remember54's Mum's voodoo ...

LostDoggy
02-09-2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks Mofra - that's my boy!!!:D

LostDoggy
02-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Callan..reconsider!!

Loving this, can't wait to see how it all plays out in ??? (what timeframe does your Mum work to?) Hehehe!

Chicago1
02-09-2011, 03:13 PM

Callan..reconsider!!

Which coven does your mother belong to? PLEASE don't tell her I asked that! :p

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-09-2011, 03:41 PM

If we were able to attract 50,000 members like Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn etc. then your argument might stack up. A lack of financial resources has hindered the Western Bulldogs for the past 50 years. It hasn't been able to attract the corporate support to help retain our better players. Judd, Jolley and Ball's cases are simply a small but important fact of how the system works. I would not have used Jade Rawlings as a good example as he was desperately keen to get to North Melbourne to play with his brother. In the case of Callan Ward it is the system that the AFL has put in place supported by the individual clubs that has led to his departure.

w3design
02-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Which coven does your mother belong to? PLEASE don't tell her I asked that! :p
We do wonder why she can't use her powers for good ( ie bring home a Dogs' flag) instead of evil ...

chef
02-09-2011, 06:46 PM
With respect, I bet 95% of sports people would take $4 million over 5 instead of $1.35 million over 3. The guy is 21, this is a once in a life time opportunity.

I hate losing him as much as every one else and blame the AFL for creating this situation, not Callan Ward.

Ryan Griffen says hi, he turned down a hell of a lot of money from GC, Essendon and Adelaide to stay loyal. Ward deserves all the blame IMO.

So you would move to Western Sydney for double your current wage BAD?

Topdog
02-09-2011, 07:11 PM

And 98% of sports people are idiots.