PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs or Footscray

bornadog
31-08-2011, 11:09 AM
This Saturday at Eithad, there will be a group of people asking supporters to sign a petition to change the name of the club back to Footscray.

The name Western Bulldogs has now been going for 15 years, which means all our junior supporters have never known their club as Footscray. These junior members are our future.

I was born in Footscray over 50 years ago and went to my first game when I was probably around 3, 4 years old. We lived up the road and use to walk to games. When the club decided a new vision was required in 1997 I embraced it, although it took me a long time to not refer to the team as Footscray. I knew it was the same team that played and trained at the Western/Whitten oval since at least 1883 (could have been earlier by some records), so I didn't lose my team but felt the new name would represent the entire Western Suburbs. The Western Suburbs is one of the fastest growing areas in all of Australia and in time we can grow our membership base by continually working with the community. If we can snag a premiership, watch this space as the numbers will swell. I believe the name Western Bulldogs will continue to help us grow that base.

Personally, I can't see what advantage there is to going back to the name Footscray, in fact it will be a backward step. Jumpers can change, I don't care, in fact we should have several jumpers.

I have put up a poll to see what WOOFers think

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Footscray or Western Bulldogs not matter what name we go by the dogs will always be my club so I voted option 3.

choconmientay
31-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I voted for Western Bulldogs. If we want more success we need to be establish in the western region. Our campaigns need to stretch to all areas in the west and this can not be achieved if we naming ourselves back to Footscray.

And btw, I migrated to Australia in 2000, so the only thing I know is Western Bulldogs. It's logically I vote for it ;)

w3design
31-08-2011, 11:25 AM
I thought it was a great idea to change the name to the Western Bulldogs, as it can invole the entire Western Suburbs and not just one area. I would like to see the jumper stay the same as I reckon it is the best jumper design in the AFL...IMO

The Coon Dog
31-08-2011, 11:26 AM
I voted to keep it as Western Bulldogs. I just think its more appropriate to recognise the Western Region.

AndrewP6
31-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Going back to the old name is a backward step, IMO

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Going back to the old name is a backward step, IMO

Agree - voted Western Bulldogs

The Pie Man
31-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Real heart vs head for me.

So I'll admit I let my heart vote on the poll as I wouldn't mind it personally - but in reality I believe the head has to rule over the heart.

If it was to compromise a push into the Western region, you'd have to say no to the name change. The club's survival/prospering is number 1.

The jumper change on the other hand (which Stevo tweeted the 50's version the clear winner of the offical club site poll :))

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 12:18 PM
All my kids know (at 13 and 11 years of age) is Western Bulldogs. Stay with it.

The Underdog
31-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I actually don't mind if they change back to Footscray, but I think at this point we should stay as WB (although it's a mouthful) so voted for that. I care way less about this than potentially changing the jumper back though.

soupman
31-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Again?

Leave it as is. There is nothing to be gained from going back to Footscray apart from forcing Bigfooty posters to be bitter about something else (I'm sure Brennan Stack wouldn't appreciate the extra attention), and really even if it was a half decent idea we couldn't afford to tie up our off field resources in re/unbranding the club when we have a litany of other far more serious problems including: No coach, an imbalanced playing list, poor list management, debt, low football department spending etc.

The Pie Man
31-08-2011, 01:22 PM
I actually don't mind if they change back to Footscray, but I think at this point we should stay as WB (although it's a mouthful) so voted for that. I care way less about this than potentially changing the jumper back though.

Agree entirely

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I think our club is represented at the entire Western Suburbs of Melbourne especially community wise, not just the Footscray area. Agree it would be taking a step back if we changed it back.

Happy Days
31-08-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't care what the name is, which is why it should stay the way it is.

Why make more work for ourselves? There's enough shit to do already.

the banker
31-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Being born in Footscray and going to Primary school there I have a strong sentiment for Footscray of old, however I see no value in changing the name from The Western Bulldogs. We need to embrace the whole Western region.

Happy to have the old jumper though...

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Changing would be a backward step in many ways.

Murphy'sLore
31-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Change the jumper. Not the name.

Yes, the Kangaroos changed back to Norf, but the Western Bulldogs is still identified with a particular region of Melbourne. Think it would be contracting our catchment to revert back to Footscray now.

KT31
31-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I voted to keep it as Western Bulldogs. I just think its more appropriate to recognise the Western Region.

Totally agree TCD.

BulldogBelle
31-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Look forward not back.

Keep it Western Bulldogs.

Maddog37
31-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I always just refer to them as The Dogs. The main problem I have with Western in the name is it clashes not only with West Coast but Greater Western Sydney as well.

If change is needed then the Victorian Bulldogs or some such moniker makes more sense. The club has run the risk of waking up the Footscray push by using the Footscray end and the heritage clothing.

Having said all that, something about the name Footscray still resonates with me.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 06:12 PM
We will always be Footscray but we cant change back now.

LostDoggy
31-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Western Bulldogs.

Obviously.

I think it's funny that it's even up for debate.

Dennis Galimberti clearly hasn't added to his business nous in the fifteen years since he departed the club. He made a fool of himself in today's age.

strebla
31-08-2011, 08:36 PM
I grew up in Braybrook and I still call them Footscray but believe that the name Western Bulldogs should stay as it embraces the whole area in my heart of hearts the will remain Footscray trading as the Western Bulldogs .

GVGjr
31-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I wish the change was never made but I understood the logic behind it. I've yet to hear anyone provide a solid reason why the change back to the Footscray name will be a positive for the club.

A lot of people (not all) pushing this agenda are doing it for their own reasons but not necessarily for the benefit for the club.

SonofScray
31-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I am pro a change back to Footscray. Its been done to death, but I don't doubt there is some merit in it. Plenty of reasons why in countless other threads so no need to rehash those arguments. Timing is everything though and right now isn't a great time to redirect funds into that sort of re branding project, IMO.

Hopefully one day we do reclaim our name and trade as the Footscray Football Club again.

immortalmike
31-08-2011, 10:12 PM
While I will always be partial to the Footscray name a re-branding now would be commercial suicide. The fact is that our brand is now Western Bulldogs, we have sold everyone from our 32,000 members to the AFL on that concept. To continue to change that would make us seem unstable and a laughing stock.

In saying that though our name should have never been changed in the first place. We have always been the team that embraces the west, changing our name did not change that. Although the sad fact of the matter is that most people in the west support Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon or would have no clue about football.

Rocco Jones
31-08-2011, 10:17 PM
I wish the change was never made but I understood the logic behind it. I've yet to hear anyone provide a solid reason why the change back to the Footscray name will be a positive for the club.

A lot of people (not all) pushing this agenda are doing it for their own reasons but not necessarily for the benefit for the club.

Agree with the whole post, especially the bolded section.

SonofScray
31-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Agree with the whole post, especially the bolded section.

Don't want to sound defensive, but what are some of their reasons?

GVGjr
31-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Don't want to sound defensive, but what are some of their reasons?

It's suits some of them to push the Footscray barrow as a way of protesting against the club without really protesting. They don't like Smorgon but can't argue around what he has achieved so instead they focus on the name as a way of getting one back on him.

There has been people phoning in on radio stations and not one of them has even a half decent explanation of why the change would be a positive. I could go on but I see little value in changing the name just because it massages the ego's of a few.

SonofScray
31-08-2011, 10:52 PM
It's suits some of them to push the Footscray barrow as a way of protesting against the club without really protesting. They don't like Smorgon but can't argue around what he has achieved so instead they focus on the name as a way of getting one back on him.

There has been people phoning in on radio stations and not one of them has even a half decent explanation of why the change would be a positive. I could go on but I see little value in changing the name just because it massages the ego's of a few.

Yeah, fair enough, I can see how people would use it to pot Smorgo. Not me in this instance, I can't fault his time at the top, its probably time for a change though which even Smorgo has acknowledged in a way.

I think its pretty clear no one can be bothered going through the pro's and cons again but I am a bit like you, just on the other side of the fence. A lot of the arguments in favour of 'western' have come across as pretty weak to me and relied on spin and fear. I don't buy that the name change opened up our brand to the western suburbs or has been the driving force behind increased memberships. Far too simplistic a view.

Its all moot though, the Club is just not going to be in a position to rectify things and go back to the real name. So long as they change the jumper and do a few things here and there to acknowledge who we are and celebrate our tradition I'd be happy to just wait and see how it all pans out rather than beat the drum too often.

Hotdog60
31-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Going back to Footscray would be a backward step if we turn the clock forward few decades or less, looking at a national completion if Victoria had to cut back some of it clubs by merging or relocation the Dogs would stand a bigger chance hanging around if it encompassed the western corridor of Victoria than solely representing Footscray.

One would think because of Melbourne's name it would stay but the weaker inner Melbourne clubs may struggle to hang on. All hypothetical but you never know. But the bigger land mass and population the Dogs can get the better they will be.

LostDoggy
01-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Look forward not back.

Keep it Western Bulldogs.

This!

dadsgirl16
01-09-2011, 03:15 PM
No No No! Backward step in my opinion

There has been a constant caller on SEN who proclaims that ALL members want the change,it's so annoying. I just hope they get as little support on Saturday as they have on this site.

Mitcha
01-09-2011, 06:14 PM
They wouldn't want to come anywhere near me as I enter the ground on Saturday. We have many more pressing issues as a club to worry about than a few people wanting to reverse back into the past. Move on people.

Scraggers
01-09-2011, 06:40 PM
I was one of the very few that voted to change back to Footscray ... I still call my club Footscray and wish we had our old (1954) jumper.

I look at the history of clubs like Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc. Their history is strong ... Ours isn't. But in saying this, I understand the reasons to keep the name as it encapsulates the Western suburbs.

SonofScray
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
I was one of the very few that voted to change back to Footscray ... I still call my club Footscray and wish we had our old (1954) jumper.

I look at the history of clubs like Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond etc. Their history is strong ... Ours isn't. But in saying this, I understand the reasons to keep the name as it encapsulates the Western suburbs.

Our history is strong. It just isn't much of a winning history in VFL/AFL terms. Unfortunately with the name change and quest to get to the Promised Land, it would appear quite a few fans have thrown the baby out with the bath water and developed a sense of self loathing, unlike anything I've seen from 'fans' of a club in any sport. People who follow Footscray actually hating the name and its meaning, ffs. Hasn't necessarily reared its head on this thread but I've seen it in countless discussions about the name.

LostDoggy
01-09-2011, 07:38 PM
One of these days, probably twenty, thirty, fifty years from now, when the entire fanbase will have grown up only knowing the club as the Western Bulldogs and us old buggers have shuffled off this mortal coil (or are cryogenically frozen somewhere), and the name Footscray, which would have escaped any ridiculous negative connotations by then simply by having been the most expensive suburb in the largest residential corridor in Australia for decades, will be seen as a retro, heritage-based name, and there will be an organic fan movement to gently revert back to our 20th century traditions (even while paying $10,000 for a standing room only general admission 85-game membership), and the members will all be asked to vote by blinking into an app on their floating iPhone 283s, and an algorithm will calculate all our responses and WFL (World Football League, with expansion teams in 'fast growing areas' like Greater Western Zambia and Cold Coast Taiwan) headquarters will ratify our name change to:

The Western "Footscray" Bulldogs Football Club.

GVGjr
01-09-2011, 07:43 PM
No No No! Backward step in my opinion

There has been a constant caller on SEN who proclaims that ALL members want the change,it's so annoying. I just hope they get as little support on Saturday as they have on this site.

There is a small group that are trying to make out they have significant support when it's clearly not a big issue to most of our supporters.

Look out to anyone who approaches me on Saturday unless they can explain the benefits.
I don't want a history lesson just a clear and concise explanation of the benefits.

I'm half tempted to rip up any petition that they try to hand me.

Remi Moses
01-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Agree with everyone on here. Dogs have more pressing matters than this to worry about!
Whole generation knows the club as The Western Bulldogs,and the mindless sentiment that the name doesn't mean anything is wrong. Represent the Western Region which has the highest population growth in the country ! The jumper they could change in a heartbeat, but I'd lose no sleep if it remained.

LostDoggy
02-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Wow, I'm surprised that anyone could consider this a positive move.
My boys (23,16,13) have/are growing up as Doggies supporters. We have never lived in Footscray but do come from the West.

Western Bulldogs is so much more relevant to a larger group of people. I honestly think you would find a lot more Geelong supporters in Werribee, Hoppers, Point Cook in the future if the name changed back to Footscray.

strebla
05-09-2011, 01:56 PM
One of these days, probably twenty, thirty, fifty years from now, when the entire fanbase will have grown up only knowing the club as the Western Bulldogs and us old buggers have shuffled off this mortal coil (or are cryogenically frozen somewhere), and the name Footscray, which would have escaped any ridiculous negative connotations by then simply by having been the most expensive suburb in the largest residential corridor in Australia for decades, will be seen as a retro, heritage-based name, and there will be an organic fan movement to gently revert back to our 20th century traditions (even while paying $10,000 for a standing room only general admission 85-game membership), and the members will all be asked to vote by blinking into an app on their floating iPhone 283s, and an algorithm will calculate all our responses and WFL (World Football League, with expansion teams in 'fast growing areas' like Greater Western Zambia and Cold Coast Taiwan) headquarters will ratify our name change to:

The Western "Footscray" Bulldogs Football Club.

If we relocate to Essex st I will be very annoyed ;)

LostDoggy
07-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Wow, I'm surprised that anyone could consider this a positive move.
My boys (23,16,13) have/are growing up as Doggies supporters. We have never lived in Footscray but do come from the West.

Western Bulldogs is so much more relevant to a larger group of people. I honestly think you would find a lot more Geelong supporters in Werribee, Hoppers, Point Cook in the future if the name changed back to Footscray.

I voted for Changing the name back to Footscray, however probably should have sat on the fence as we could be called the the Newport Nancies and I would still be a member and supporter.

I agree that the "Western" embraces a larger portions of the western suburbs, however I do not suscribe to the theory that by calling our team the Western Bulldogs, that we will actually generate more members in Point Cook, than if we were called Footscray.

IMHO I believe members and supporters are generated through association with the club in some way.

For the vast majority its a family association, where you are born into it, for others its because we were winning at the time they "found" the game of AFL, other its the players that came to their school or auskick that left a lasting impression.

Anyone in the West have neighbours that Follow Hawthorn or StKilda?, next time you see them them ask them why.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, just ask Shakespeare

LostDoggy
07-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Anyone in the West have neighbours that Follow Hawthorn or StKilda?, next time you see them them ask them why.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, just ask Shakespeare

I don't disagree with yourself of Shakespeare, but our history (even our recent history) is different to Hawthorn's and St. Kilda's, and does require different growth strategies.

If we had a dominant decade of winning everything in sight, and had 10 of the most charismatic players in the league, we would probably pick up a few fans in Camberwell too. I know North disprove this theory, but that's because Carey was a knob.

Topdog
08-09-2011, 01:36 AM
I know quite a few recent immigrants that have moved into the Altona / Point Cook region. All of the kids in this group barrack for the Western Bulldogs as it is their region.

You can call it spin if you like but I see the proof of the change.

RedWhiteBlue1981
08-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Footscray Bulldogs. Collingwood kept its name, Carlton kept its name, Richmond kept its name, North Melbourne kept its name, St Kilda kept its name, Geelong kept its name, Hawthorn kept its name. Why is it out of all of the Victorian clubs we slaved ourselves to the AFL for a name change? We changed our birth certificate- basically. Didn't we?

Cede Nullis. That's our club motto and that's been forgotten.

bornadog
08-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Footscray Bulldogs. Collingwood kept its name, Carlton kept its name, Richmond kept its name, North Melbourne kept its name, St Kilda kept its name, Geelong kept its name, Hawthorn kept its name. Why is it out of all of the Victorian clubs we slaved ourselves to the AFL for a name change? We changed our birth certificate- basically. Didn't we?

WARNING RANT BEGINS

We are one of the most unsuccessful of those teams you mentioned. Why? Because over our history we were the most unprofessionally run team and we missed our chance to build our name in the Western suburbs.

When I was growing up in the Western Suburbs in the 60's, not many of my class mates followed Footscray. I was born in Footscray to migrant parents and my father started taking me to the footy when I was 3/4 years old. We eventually moved out to the new suburb called West Sunshine and most of the kids were born in Australia but there parents had migrated in the 50's. The club did very little to promote itself, other than to offer 2 junior membershio cards to our teacher who would ask each Friday, who wants to use them this week and no one wanted the free tickets. I would take both and drag my Collingwood mate to watch the game. (Yes at 11 years old we would walk to Sunshine station and then take the train to West Footscray and make our way home.)

We had the opportunity in the 50's to really build the club up, and in fact we had the most club members of any of the 12 teams back then. However, the club administration was pathethic and we didn't take our chance. The pathetic administration saw us lose some of the greatest VFL champions, mostly brownlow medalists in the 70's and 80's - Dempsey, Quinlan, Templeton, Round, Wilson, Hardie etc etc. Ultimately, this pathetic administration, sold us out and we almost lost the club in 1989.

When we changed our trading name to Western Bulldogs, I saw this as a way of catching up to other clubs by building on the Western Suburbs theme and expanding and reaching out to the whole community. There are plenty of migrants still pouring into the West, maybe they aren't from Greece, Italy, Malta, etc but now Africa and other places. We have to reach out to these new migrants and others in the west and build the club to be stronger and stronger with a bigger membership base.

I have no doubt that we can reach 50,000 members, you just have to take a look at Facebook LIKES, and that is sitting at 33,500 and I bet half these are not members. You look at the Elimination final in 2006 when 84,000 showed up and the club was shocked with the amount of red, white and blue there was in the crowd. We will build this club to be bigger, but we now need to back up the now professional administration, with premierships.

I was gutted when we lost the name Footscray, but I can understand the reason we changed and now we have people in their 20's who have never known the name Footscray.

We still have our club after 134 years, we have had a name change (at least three) and lets not argue and create a split and look unprofessional and pathetic like administrations of the past, lets embrace and build the club to be the biggest supported club in the West of Melbourne.

strebla
08-09-2011, 11:40 AM
WARNING RANT BEGINS

We are one of the most unsuccessful of those teams you mentioned. Why? Because over our history we were the most unprofessionally run team and we missed our chance to build our name in the Western suburbs.

When I was growing up in the Western Suburbs in the 60's, not many of my class mates followed Footscray. I was born in Footscray to migrant parents and my father started taking me to the footy when I was 3/4 year sold. We eventually moved out to the new suburb called West Sunshine and most of the kids were born in Australia but there parents had migrated in the 50's. The club did very little to promote itself, other than to offer 2 junior membershio cards to our teacher who would ask each Friday, who wants to use them this week and no one wanted the free tickets. I would take both and drag my Collingwood mate to watch the game. (Yes at 11 years old we would walk to Sunshine station and then take the train to West Footscray and make our way home.)

We had the opportunity in the 50's to really build the club up, and in fact we had the most club members of any of the 12 teams back then. However, the club administration was pathethic and we didn't take our chance. The pathetic administration saw us lose some of the greatest VFL champions, mostly brownlow medalists in the 70's and 80's - Dempsey, Quinlan, Templeton, Round, Wilson, Hardie etc etc. Ultimately, this pathetic administration, sold us out and we almost lost the club in 1989.

When we changed our trading name to Western Bulldogs, I saw this as a way of catching up to other clubs by building on the Western Suburbs theme and expanding and reaching out to the whole community. There are plenty of migrants still pouring into the West, maybe they aren't from Greece, Italy, Malta, etc but now Africa and other places. We have to reach out to these new migrants and others in the west and build the club to be stronger and stronger with a bigger membership base.

I have no doubt that we can reach 50,000 members, you just have to take a look at Facebook LIKES, and that is sitting at 33,500 and I bet half these are not members. You look at the Elimination final in 2006 when 84,000 showed up and the club was shocked with the amount of red, white and blue there was in the crowd. We will build this club to be bigger, but we now need to back up the now professional administration, with premierships.

I was gutted when we lost the name Footscray, but I can understand the reason we changed and now we have people in their 20's who have never known the name Footscray.

We still have our club after 134 years, we have had a name change (at least three) and lets not argue and create a split and look unprofessional and pathetic like administrations of the past, lets embrace and build the club to be the biggest supported club in the West of Melbourne.

WOW loved it

1eyedog
08-09-2011, 12:26 PM
WARNING RANT BEGINS

When I was growing up in the Western Suburbs in the 60's, not many of my class mates followed Footscray. I was born in Footscray to migrant parents and my father started taking me to the footy when I was 3/4 year sold. We eventually moved out to the new suburb called West Sunshine and most of the kids were born in Australia but there parents had migrated in the 50's. The club did very little to promote itself, other than to offer 2 junior membershio cards to our teacher who would ask each Friday, who wants to use them this week and no one wanted the free tickets. I would take both and drag my Collingwood mate to watch the game. (Yes at 11 years old we would walk to Sunshine station and then take the train to West Footscray and make our way home.)

Go Dogs!

EasternWest
08-09-2011, 12:50 PM
WARNING RANT BEGINS

When I was growing up in the Western Suburbs in the 60's, not many of my class mates followed Footscray. I was born in Footscray to migrant parents and my father started taking me to the footy when I was 3/4 year sold. We eventually moved out to the new.

Your parents sold you? Times must have been tough way out west :).

bornadog
08-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Your parents sold you? Times must have been tough way out west :).

haha.:D

Curly5
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Being born in Footscray and going to Primary school there I have a strong sentiment for Footscray of old, however I see no value in changing the name from The Western Bulldogs. We need to embrace the whole Western region.

Happy to have the old jumper though...

Also born and raised in the area (primary school history: Footscray = English village of Foots, situated on the Cray river :D), but the memories of Footscray at that time are of disadvantage, including our poor club, which struggled mightily against poverty and mismanagement. We always felt we would never get anywhere, but the team tried and still gave us a lot of pleasure. Changing teams was never an option.

Western Bulldogs is the child prodigy of the forefather Footscray, bearing all our hopes for the future.

Its all moot though, the Club is just not going to be in a position to rectify things and go back to the real name. So long as they change the jumper and do a few things here and there to acknowledge who we are and celebrate our tradition I'd be happy to just wait and see how it all pans out rather than beat the drum too often.

That's right, tradition is not lost!

Because we were the club that nearly sank without trace. We didn't change our birth certificate, we just changed it by deed poll to a more marketable image to appeal to a wider demographic. ;) The birth certificate still exists and is respected by ourselves.

Love your rant, bornadog.

Prince Imperial
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
WARNING RANT BEGINS

When I was growing up in the Western Suburbs in the 60's, not many of my class mates followed Footscray. I was born in Footscray to migrant parents and my father started taking me to the footy when I was 3/4 years old. We eventually moved out to the new suburb called West Sunshine and most of the kids were born in Australia but there parents had migrated in the 50's. The club did very little to promote itself, other than to offer 2 junior membershio cards to our teacher who would ask each Friday, who wants to use them this week and no one wanted the free tickets. I would take both and drag my Collingwood mate to watch the game. (Yes at 11 years old we would walk to Sunshine station and then take the train to West Footscray and make our way home.)

Great post, very well said.

1eyedog
08-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Also born and raised in the area (primary school history: Footscray = English village of Foots, situated on the Cray river :D), but the memories of Footscray at that time are of disadvantage, including our poor club, which struggled mightily against poverty and mismanagement. We always felt we would never get anywhere, but the team tried and still gave us a lot of pleasure. Changing teams was never an option.

Western Bulldogs is the child prodigy of the forefather Footscray, bearing all our hopes for the future.

That's right, tradition is not lost!

Because we were the club that nearly sank without trace. We didn't change our birth certificate, we just changed it by deed poll to a more marketable image to appeal to a wider demographic. ;) The birth certificate still exists and is respected by ourselves.
Love your rant, bornadog.

Indeed and just remember we weren't born as the Footscray Bulldogs either, we were the Prince Imperials in the Late 1800s and the Tricolors after that.

LongWait
08-09-2011, 08:15 PM
WARNING RANT BEGINS

Brilliant. You speak for me on this issue and I'd suggest many, many others. Thanks Bornadog.

LostDoggy
09-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Brilliant. You speak for me on this issue and I'd suggest many, many others. Thanks Bornadog.

Yep. Ditto.

Murphy'sLore
09-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Well said, Bornadog.

SonofScray
10-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Good post bornadog, up until the last few lines IMO. It is absolutely OK for fans, most of whom I will assume are members to challenge the status quo or express their preferences etc. Doing so in no way has to jeopordise the ability of the club to be successful. It is part and parcel of being a member. If the right people are involved at a Board level there is no need for it to appear unprofessional.

Beyond that I maintain that your vision has very little to do with the name and everything to do with sound administration and on field success. Which is what every member wants, regardless of if they are for the FFC or WBFC names. I am pretty tired of the discussion, it pops up every year at least twice and won't go away. Would love some access to data for my own research so I could get some answers around whether or not the name change has worked, so at least I could put it to bed for my self. I look at the arguments in favour of the change and it just seems to be muddied with too many extraneous variables to buy into the marketing spin.

I wonder if a new President and Board would feel the need to put this debate to bed via a member vote, or some sort of evaluation? Probably not, it'd be a waste of resources.

Topdog
10-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Love it BAD. word for word.

Ghost Dog
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
WARNING RANT BEGINS

Great post BAD.

cinder
20-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know if there's any merit to the WBs considering changing the name back to Footscray? Hubby's work wholesales key blanks and some of them are the AFL ones. On the last order, no Dogs keys were shipped and the reason given was that the club was thinking of changing the name back AND/OR or the logo - so I don't categorically know they are changing back to Footscray or not.

Maddog37
20-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Would suggest logo change only.

SonofScray
21-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Interesting. I'd have thought they'd keep the logo as is, given the jumper change seemed to be a huge decision. Maybe the Club are having a good think about the brand after all. If they can put in place some stuff that breaks this idea that Footscray is the monkey on our back once and for all, that'd be brilliant.

You can't hide from your past, stop scapegoating it and pick the good stuff out, address the issues that face us now. Name change, or not.

cinder
21-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Yup. Hopefully we'll hear something soon