PDA

View Full Version : Game Day 2011 - R24 Western Bulldogs vs Fremantle

BulldogBelle
02-09-2011, 12:46 PM
This is the discussion thread for our Saturday afternoon game against Fremantle at ES.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 43 points
BOG : Barry Hall
Barry Hall to kick the first goal

SlimPickens
02-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Dogs 28 pts
BOG: Griffen
First Goal: Bazza

Ward to be sub.

bornadog
02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Dogs by 55

BOG Hall

First goal Hall (first of ten)

Greystache
02-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Dogs by 55

BOG Hall

First goal Hall (first of ten)

+1

And finish 13th on the all time goal kickers list.

bornadog
02-09-2011, 01:07 PM
+1

And finish 13th on the all time goal kickers list.

That would be great

w3design
02-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Dogs by 40

BOG Ward (Just to piss us off) :mad:

First Goal - (I'll get back to you. Just ringing Heath Shaw) :eek:

Ozza
02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Dogs by 62 points

Hoping Murph will be BOG and get over the line in the B&F.

Gia to kick the first goal

the banker
02-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Dogs by 38

BOG Griff (won't be Ward)

First goal Barry Hall (hopefully will kick a bag)

LostDoggy
02-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Based on purely scientific .....oops, read emotional computations....

Dogs by 45 points
BOG = Dahlhaus
First Goal = Baz (one of many)

Ghost Dog
03-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Dogs by 30

BOG: Ward. A kid nurtured by champions and a champion club. Fired up to give it his best, and any bronx cheers will just spur him on.
Going to have a blinder today and break our hearts.

First Goal: The Big Unit himself. The Mighty Bazz

Dancin' Douggy
03-09-2011, 11:03 AM
I predict the game to be hollow and depressing

EasternWest
03-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Dogs 45
BOG Ward
First goal Jones

ledge
03-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Be interesting game, think we have more to play for as in kids coming on and Fre have given up on everything it seems this year.
Would like to see Williams play players in next years positions, so Hall might be swap with Jones or Grant at FF.
Hall kick the first.
BOG Griffen
Us by around 40 pts

Go_Dogs
03-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Live into Adelaide today, looking forward to seeing the boys in action for one more time this year.

Dogs by 27 points
First goal Bazza
BOG Griff

Once again, hopefully the kids play well. Then the squad can put the year behind them, have a little bit of time to un-wind, and then launch into a big pre-season.

Chicago1
03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Dogs by 36
First goal- B. Hall
BOG - C. Ward

AndrewP6
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Garlo just interviewed on ground. Talked about members, also that they are changing the membership dept operations, and, they have "very interesting announcement" to come regarding the jumper. The plot thickens....

AndrewP6
03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Dogs by 50
First goal Baz (finish with ten)
BOG Baz

AndrewP6
03-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Late change Freo. Mcpharlin out, Sibbosado in.

AndrewP6
03-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Ordinary so far...hardly the way to send off the H's

Greystache
03-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Vez terrific the 1st quarter.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Vez terrific the 1st quarter.

He's been okay... some poor disposals as well, that look to be more about his fitness than his skill level. It seems one burst of running and he's looking like he's gasping for breath like he has emphysema.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Markovic, must've turned the ball over with no immediate pressure 4 or 5 times. When you only have the speed of an agitated sloth, you've got to be able to make up for it with excellence in some other skill set to compensate.
He tries extremely hard to compete, but I'm not convinced he is every going to be anything more than an emergency option.

EasternWest
03-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Anyone got the stats? Feels like they're well on top at clearances.

AndrewP6
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Anyone got the stats? Feels like they're well on top at clearances.

Clearances 16-12 our way.

Doc26
03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Schofield just subbed off for Higgins.

LostDoggy
03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Is it really windy at the Dome? both team can't kick straight!!!!!!

AndrewP6
03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Is it really windy at the Dome? both team can't kick straight!!!!!!

Roof open but not difficult conditions. Rubbish way to finish the year...and two careers

Greystache
03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Markovic, must've turned the ball over with no immediate pressure 4 or 5 times. When you only have the speed of an agitated sloth, you've got to be able to make up for it with excellence in some other skill set to compensate.
He tries extremely hard to compete, but I'm not convinced he is every going to be anything more than an emergency option.

His disposal has been poor today, but I consider it a strength for Markovic. I would say his disposal is generally above average for an AFL key defender.

LostDoggy
03-09-2011, 06:13 PM
I liked a lot about Vezpremis game today.

GVGjr
03-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Agreed. He showed a bit today.

Greystache
03-09-2011, 06:46 PM

Yep, quick enough, good kicking skills, and a mature body. Ticks a lot of the boxes we need ticked currently.

kruder
03-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I predict the game to be hollow and depressing

Spot on.

Some scary signs out their for the future thats for sure.

The lack of improvement in Grant and Roughead is a major worry. If Barlow plays another game for the Bulldogs I'd be stunned.

You have to love Barry though. Just his last 10 mintues of footy was better than any bulldog out here today and he is retiring.

Thanks Barry!

EasternWest
03-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Needs a big Summer to get fitter, but certainly has the ability. And goes quick in bursts.

I enjoyed his enthusiasm, seemed pumped to be out there.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Yep, quick enough, good kicking skills, and a mature body. Ticks a lot of the boxes we need ticked currently.

If he can develop his fitness to the level required thee is no doubt can be a very good player for us.

Go_Dogs
03-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Did some good things, but also kicked a few poor balls. I think he's shown enough to suggest if he can continue to work at his game and improve his fitness sufficiently he can have an impact next year.

Overall it was a solid performance.

Griffen is simply elite. Over the course of the year he was one of the top 10 players running around the competition. Showed his tricks today again. Such a composed player, high hurt factor inside and out. Shame we miss out on seeing him in finals where I'm sure he would've taken it up another notch again.

Boyd continues to do the hard things, win the ball in tight and works hard to receive when others seem unwilling to do so. His ball use however continues to be an issue. By hand I thought he was fairly poor, and his field kicking often results in a turnover. Really hope he can take a step back from being the main ball winner next year if Cooney, and also Libba, are able to have a bigger impact in 2012.

Jones needs to get into the game more often. I'm not sure if it's fitness, lack of being able to lead to the right spots and/or beat his opponent on the lead, or lack of ball being delivered to him. He's got some ability but he's going to have to step up a lot again next year for us.

Wood is a player, but I'm not convinced on him being a defender, and would like to see us try and add some more strings to his bow through the midfield and up forwards.

Wallis I thought went alright today. Going to be interesting to see what sort of role the in-coming coach has in mind for him as I think he can develop into a pretty good player for us.

Was great to see Bazza go out in style and kick a bag of goals. What a legend he is, and his career finishes with an amazing list of accomplishments. I wonder if there is a mentoring role he can do at the club once he's had some time to go away and consider his options?

A typical Hudson performance. Was great to see him get a few touches around the ground and do one of his trademark clearances towards the end of the game. He's been a very handy player for us, and has gone out at the right time with the minimum of fan-fare. Not really a word that would generally be associated with Huddo, but classy exit. Well done on your career.

Now I guess the real fun starts. :eek:

bornadog
03-09-2011, 07:22 PM
I liked Grant down back, showed poise and can read the play better. We may have to send him down there and move Wood up the ground.

Hotdog60
03-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Garlo just interviewed on ground. Talked about members, also that they are changing the membership dept operations, and, they have "very interesting announcement" to come regarding the jumper. The plot thickens....

Anyone hear anymore on this?

NoName
03-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Have to agree with this, thought he played pretty well.

SonofScray
03-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Agree Kel. He did show he can get the footy and has a turn of foot when involved in the contest. I thiought his kicking was terrible at times though.

Love the way Dalhaus just gets involved everywhere. Seems to play with real intent.

Glad the crowd gave Ward one decent boo at least.

NoName
03-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Griffen also had a good game IMO - I just love watching him play, surely he is close to winning his second B&F?

G-Mo77
03-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I liked Grant down back, showed poise and can read the play better.

Noticed that as well.

I didn't think Grant was that bad today. He worked hard to try and keep the ball in the forward half which caused some turnovers which is what you want from a forward.

the banker
03-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Did some good things, but also kicked a few poor balls. I think he's shown enough to suggest if he can continue to work at his game and improve his fitness sufficiently he can have an impact next year.

Overall it was a solid performance.

Griffen is simply elite. Over the course of the year he was one of the top 10 players running around the competition. Showed his tricks today again. Such a composed player, high hurt factor inside and out. Shame we miss out on seeing him in finals where I'm sure he would've taken it up another notch again.

Boyd continues to do the hard things, win the ball in tight and works hard to receive when others seem unwilling to do so. His ball use however continues to be an issue. By hand I thought he was fairly poor, and his field kicking often results in a turnover. Really hope he can take a step back from being the main ball winner next year if Cooney, and also Libba, are able to have a bigger impact in 2012.

Jones needs to get into the game more often. I'm not sure if it's fitness, lack of being able to lead to the right spots and/or beat his opponent on the lead, or lack of ball being delivered to him. He's got some ability but he's going to have to step up a lot again next year for us.

Wood is a player, but I'm not convinced on him being a defender, and would like to see us try and add some more strings to his bow through the midfield and up forwards.

Wallis I thought went alright today. Going to be interesting to see what sort of role the in-coming coach has in mind for him as I think he can develop into a pretty good player for us.

Was great to see Bazza go out in style and kick a bag of goals. What a legend he is, and his career finishes with an amazing list of accomplishments. I wonder if there is a mentoring role he can do at the club once he's had some time to go away and consider his options?

A typical Hudson performance. Was great to see him get a few touches around the ground and do one of his trademark clearances towards the end of the game. He's been a very handy player for us, and has gone out at the right time with the minimum of fan-fare. Not really a word that would generally be associated with Huddo, but classy exit. Well done on your career.

Now I guess the real fun starts. :eek:

Agree with all this, esp teh Wood assessment. IMO he is not suited to looking after attacking talls at all. See him more in the Murphy role and perhaps the old Eagle role (with tackles).

Thought Tutt showed brilliance in bursts. Has the potential to be a bit of a star.

Confident when Libba gets the ball. He is a good user and his timing is exeptional.

Special mention on Daniel Cross, outside of Griffs brillance he was our best. Unbelieveable commitment to the contest. Took some big hits today. Actually I will put him on top today just for supreme continuous effort which was inspiring in a very insipid game.

Maddog37
03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Thought Markovic killed them today.

Also thought Cheesey was pretty solid.

Wallis knows what Libba is gonna do at all times and will enjoy years of watching them work together.

Vez was very good. Plays with passion. Griff is a star. Tutt and Scho look pretty handy for kids also.

ledge
03-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Worst game i have ever seen us play as a team, wasnt any game plan but yes I though Marko, Vez and most of the kids did well.

ledge
03-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Will add how much Wood did a lot of the hard stuff but woeful at the disposal.

jasopan
04-09-2011, 01:05 AM
After watching this game you have to admit the future isn't looking THAT bad. Look at the kids go! A very average and scruffy game overall on the contrast though

AndrewP6
04-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Not all doom and gloom, but boy that was, to quote Rex Hunt, "Shizenhousen"... As commentators said at one point, this is why these teams are where they are. For the bulk of that game, I sat there thinking "What a pathetic effort to send off 3 greats with". However, at least some positives came out of it. Vez showed some really good smarts, hope he's able to step up next year - we're certainly going to need it. Picken and Cross just give everything for the team and jumper. Wallis was pretty good, as was Libba. Marko acquitted himself well I thought. Griff with that long goal - just great.

Tomorrow I'll post on the 3H's ( when the drinks have worn off! :) )

Ghost Dog
04-09-2011, 11:03 PM
What did you all think of William's performance?

His presser was funny.

" It won't happen overnight, but it will happen, Like Pantene" ( In reference to building a winning culture at the club )

Greystache
05-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I meant to mention it earlier, does anyone know why Schofield was subbed off? Was there something wrong with him?

I thought he was playing pretty well, and that he looks a player that we need to get as many games into as quickly as possible.

azabob
05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
I meant to mention it earlier, does anyone know why Schofield was subbed off? Was there something wrong with him?

I thought he was playing pretty well, and that he looks a player that we need to get as many games into as quickly as possible.

I thought it was a weird one also. Glad Vez played a full game and Higgins started as the sub.

Desipura
05-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Off topic, I loved the way Dahlhaus grabbed his jumper after he kicked his goal as if to say, "I am proud to be wearing this jumper, unlike you Ward"

Sedat
05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Vez was very good. If there was an award for best strut in the AFL, Vesz would get the silver medal behind Buddy. He struts around the ground like Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.

I liked his game. A couple of beautiful spot-ups by foot that only talented players who understand the game could pull off. One in the forward pocket back to Ward in the centre corridor showed sublime skill and poise.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Off topic, I loved the way Dahlhaus grabbed his jumper after he kicked his goal as if to say, "I am proud to be wearing this jumper, unlike you Ward"

Saw that too - gave me some hope for the future..:o

soupman
05-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Like wise. Schofield has been more impressive with the footy than I expected. ATM he's looking like developing into a shorter version of Shaggy who uses the ball a bit better coming out of defence.

I was hoping Ward would be subbed off after his numerous half hearted efforts out there.

bornadog
05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
If there was an award for best strut in the AFL, Vesz would get the silver medal behind Buddy. He struts around the ground like Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.

I liked his game. A couple of beautiful spot-ups by foot that only talented players who understand the game could pull off. One in the forward pocket back to Ward in the centre corridor showed sublime skill and poise.

What I don't understand is that he has played AFL previously at Swans and should know what fitness levels are required at this level, yet he has been unfit for the whole season. I did here he is a tadd lazy, however, If he can can really put in this preseason, he should be able to get into our best 22.

Desipura
05-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Well he has not done that before, if he ever was going to do it, you would think when he was red hot against Carlton.

Mofra
05-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Like wise. Schofield has been more impressive with the footy than I expected. ATM he's looking like developing into a shorter version of Shaggy who uses the ball a bit better coming out of defence.
He really reminds me of a yappy version of Picken - surprisingly good kick, has some real mongrel about him too.
Looks like we will have a replacement for Hudson as our best sledger :cool:

bornadog
05-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Well he has not done that before, if he ever was going to so it, you would think when he was red hot against Carlton.

Great to have some young enthusiastic players like Dahl and Schofield. Libba, Jones, Wallis look the shy type but these boys show there enthusiasm.

I also like the way Vez gets pumped up. We have been a bloody quiet bunch since the three amigos. Football has become so clinical.