PDA

View Full Version : Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy keen to unveil club's recruits

The Coon Dog
02-09-2011, 10:08 PM
GREATER Western Sydney missed out on the signature of Collingwood star Dale Thomas, but coach Kevin Sheedy says the AFL club is almost ready to make some major announcements.

The season will end for nine of the league's 17 teams this weekend, meaning hundreds of players will have unrestrained freedom to walk away from their current side.

Sheedy can't wait.

"I would think in the next fortnight, we'll be making some decent announcements and they'll please a lot of people," he said.

"Because in some ways, we'll be keeping players' careers alive and, in other ways, we'll be resurrecting an opportunity for people in other areas, maybe making them leaders of our club.

"There's some really good, exciting decisions ready to be made soon."

There's been speculation all season about who the Giants will recruit with Tom Scully and Callan Ward two of the names thrown up most consistently.

The conjecture took a turn this morning in Melbourne when Triple M radio suggested GWS were set to unveil a big name who hadn't been connected to the club in the gossip mill.

Article in full...

Desipura
02-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Eddie mentioned this last week, I wonder who it is?

LostDoggy
02-09-2011, 10:19 PM
How can you unveil people when you don't know who they are or what they do?

AndrewP6
02-09-2011, 10:29 PM
You know, I used to kind of like Sheeds. Now he's starting to shit me.

Maddog37
02-09-2011, 10:38 PM

That's weird Andrew, he used to really annoy me and now he just makes me laugh.

comrade
02-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Get *!*!*!*!ed, Sheeds.

That is all.

Remi Moses
02-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Sheedy's just the spruiker. He's been past his use buy date years ago.
Hopefully he'll emulate his mismanagement of Essendon in the end.

Swoop
03-09-2011, 01:25 AM
Let's be honest, Sheedy is selling GWS while Mark Williams is coaching them.

chef
03-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Eddie mentioned this last week, I wonder who it is?

Hamish McIntosh would be my guess.

Desipura
03-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Sam Mitchell and Brendan Goddard are my guess.

chef
03-09-2011, 08:03 AM
They should end up with a better group of mature players than GC.

Ghost Dog
03-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Wonder who the mystery man is?
Hope it's from Collingwood!

The Underdog
03-09-2011, 10:37 AM
God, I forgot about all the bullshit that goes with Sheedy being involved in football.
I hope this team fails...miserably

azabob
03-09-2011, 11:03 AM

So will they be traded or will it happen end of 2012 as they are contracted for 2012.

Flamethrower
03-09-2011, 11:43 AM
The whisper is that it is one of the biggest stars in the AFL, and his name hasn't been mentioned by anyone. That would seemingly eliminate Goddard and Mitchell (as they are constantly being mentioned as targets).

It seems unlikely seeing as the media are usually all over anyone who is out of contract. It could possibly be a player from outside Victoria who no one even realises is unsigned for 2012.

ledge
03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Nathan Djerrkurah!

Topdog
03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
The whisper is that it is one of the biggest stars in the AFL, and his name hasn't been mentioned by anyone. That would seemingly eliminate Goddard and Mitchell (as they are constantly being mentioned as targets).

It's almost literally impossible for it to happen. Anyone who is out of contract in 2011 or 12 has been linked to them.

Rocco Jones
03-09-2011, 01:37 PM
It's almost literally impossible for it to happen. Anyone who is out of contract in 2011 or 12 has been linked to them.

That's it.

I don't think it's someone who hasn't been 'linked' to them, more so someone that hasn't been 'strongly linked' to them. My guess is a Mitch Clark or Hamish McIntosh. Luke Power seems as big a lock than Callan Ward.

Ghost Dog
03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
nathan djerrkurah!

lol!!! :P made me chuckle

Sockeye Salmon
03-09-2011, 03:13 PM
A few people are claiming it's Stevie Johnson :eek:

bornadog
03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

Sam Mitchell at age 29 has rumoured to being offered a 5 year deal and $4 million to captain GWS.

Swoop
03-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Is it possible that the player is still contracted hence the name not appearing on radars however the club involved has agreed to a trade to their liking?

Bulldog Revolution
03-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Sam Mitchell at age 29 has rumoured to being offered a 5 year deal and $4 million to captain GWS.

Hard to turn down at his age

Swoop
04-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Mitchell has come out in the media and categorically denied any rumor about moving to GWS so it appears unlikely that he's the one.

GVGjr
04-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Hard to turn down at his age

They mentioned on the radio that he's not out of contract so it would need the Hawks to agree.

The Underdog
04-09-2011, 09:31 AM
They mentioned on the radio that he's not out of contract so it would need the Hawks to agree.

One article mentioned GWS offering up Jaeger O'Mara as the trade. All dependent upon Mitchell agreeing to move his family. There'd be a lot of things that'd need to be agreed to for it to happen.

ledge
04-09-2011, 11:49 AM
How good is Jaeger?

mjp
04-09-2011, 12:46 PM
How good is Jaeger?

Best kid I have ever seen.

azabob
04-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Best kid I have ever seen.

Gee, wonder what GWS will take for him?

mjp
04-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Gee, wonder what GWS will take for him?

They didn't want him to nominate. That way, they could have drafted him next year - as an eligible 17yo he must be traded.

azabob
04-09-2011, 01:43 PM
They didn't want him to nominate. That way, they could have drafted him next year - as an eligible 17yo he must be traded.

So wonder who will get him?

Port would be in the best position draft pick wise (assuming they finish last). Or would you need to give up more than a first round draft pick for him?

There has been speculation that we will give up our Ward compo pick and Sam Ried to GWS.
However based on your opinion of O'Mara that will not be enough to get the deal done.

LostDoggy
04-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Wonder who the mystery man is?
Hope it's from Collingwood!

As do I. But with their 'stars' already signed up, don't think there are any big names that could really bother the supporters.

azabob
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
As do I. But with their 'stars' already signed up, don't think there are any big names that could really bother the supporters.

Pendlebury is out of contract end of 2012.

mjp
04-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Port would be in the best position draft pick wise (assuming they finish last). Or would you need to give up more than a first round draft pick for him?

There has been speculation that we will give up our Ward compo pick and Sam Ried to GWS.
However based on your opinion of O'Mara that will not be enough to get the deal done.

No - that wont do it. He wants to stay in WA...GWS used the Port 'threat' to try and convince him not to nominate this year.

The Underdog
04-09-2011, 05:05 PM

GWS will want a top line player or players, not picks. They've got those running out of their arse. What happens if they can't get good enough deals for these kids particularly if the kid only leaves them 2 teams to choose from? They have to trade 4 of these kids yeah?

azabob
04-09-2011, 05:15 PM
GWS will want a top line player or players, not picks. They've got those running out of their arse. What happens if they can't get good enough deals for these kids particularly if the kid only leaves them 2 teams to choose from? They have to trade 4 of these kids yeah?

Yes they have four players. I think they may be able to trade them this trade period and next trade period.

You are right, they most likely will want players.