PDA

View Full Version : Tigers have the last laugh on Callan Ward

Hotdog60
03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/09/01/1226127/196785-callan-ward.jpg

"CALLAN Ward signs with GWS ... Richmond advises the AFL to provide the Dogs with Jordan McMahon as compensation."

That was the theme of several messages this week as battered, bedraggled and bitter Richmond fans quickly sprang into action on social media.

Finally, with the pain of another ninth-placed finish looming, there was morbid relief among some quarters of the Tiger Army that the McMahon-Ward link was about to be broken.

Ward will play his last game for the Western Bulldogs today. No doubt about it.

Whether he is jeered or cheered by the Dogs faithful on his way out of Etihad Stadium is uncertain, but Richmond fans might have a chuckle from afar.

Those Tigers supporters have copped it for three to four years with the tease: "You took Jordie McMahon and it cost you Callan Ward."

Richmond swapped pick No.19 in the 2007 trade period for McMahon, a hard running, but inconsistent back-flanker who had run out of credits at the Dogs.

Six weeks later the Dogs used the choice to pick up Ward.

McMahon is long gone. Ward has 10 years left at the top level and will be paid more than $4 million over the next five.

Now, in a sense, Ward is gone too. There are no winners now, just losers ... and the teasing can stop.

But as Ward prepares for a strange last day at the office, it is worth revisiting the trade/draft twists and turns in 2007.

Heading into the trade week with head of football Greg Miller leading the negotiations, Richmond had picks 18, 19 and 35 to play with.

Pick 35 was Mitch Morton from West Coast, which gave the club little wriggle room on McMahon. A deal was done with pick 19 for McMahon.

MORE (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-have-the-last-laugh-on-callan-ward/story-fn7si05c-1226128410989)

EasternWest
03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I remember when Jordy was BOG in that Tigers prelim. Oh wait, no I don't.

We lose out because we lose Ward, but we never lost out on that deal.

Doc26
03-09-2011, 04:34 PM
It's a rubbish headline. The last laugh is as yet unknown, that is until we play our next hand with how we utilise any compensation pick that comes our way. Does Mark Stevens have a crystal ball ? What if we were to land the next Franklin or Rioli with it, hopeful I know. This hand hardly represents Richmond having the last laugh.

Remi Moses
03-09-2011, 07:35 PM
You're spending to long on Social Media Stevo.
Maybe we should abuse Ward's family and deliver chicken poo to his home.
Still going to get draft picks for him, and who knows how they'll go.
Must admit Darymple hasn't done a bad job so far
Richmond winning some meaningless end of season games means bugger all, they've done that before. The Jordan McMahon trade still going to have legs Stevo

Mofra
03-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Whatever we get for Ward will still be better than the sevrice McMahon is providing to Richmond.
There is no way in hell I will stop reminding Tigers fans of pick 19 for ward - especially if it turns into two first rounders this year :cool:

The Pie Man
03-09-2011, 10:59 PM
The premise of the article reminds me of something random: I took personal responsibility for our 03 spoon as it was the sporting gods payback for me leaving a wooden spoon at Optus in 02 when we played Freo there (Grant took a ripping mark that day)

Don't tempt the sporting gods

Pickenitup
03-09-2011, 11:24 PM
When Cal comes back in a few years we can taunt them all over again

LostDoggy
03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Not really a laugh. Could be a case of McMahon turning into 2 first round draft picks??? hehe

KT31
04-09-2011, 12:40 AM
What ever happened to reporter's, reporting ?
Now they sit on their hinnies and follow web sites.
Half have no idea and the other's are just guessing !
At least if they followed Woof they would havesome idea.

AndrewP6
04-09-2011, 01:45 AM
When Cal comes back in a few years we can taunt them all over again

Why would he come back? To tell us he now owns The Rooty Hill RSL, and the entire suburb of Blacktown?

The Underdog
04-09-2011, 09:40 AM
That's a pretty poor article Stevo. Not to mention the subbies work.
Regardless of Ward's decision to take the AFL's money, Richmond managed to turn 3 picks in the first 35 into Alex Rance, Jordan McMahon and Mitch Morton which is pretty *!*!*!*!ing funny to me (and I like Rance). We at worst (once the disappointment subsides) will have another first round pick to spend on a talented kid.

Pickenitup
04-09-2011, 09:52 AM
The Players want him back and they believe he will come back

chef
04-09-2011, 10:11 AM
The Players want him back and they believe he will come back

Tell em they're dreamin.

ledge
04-09-2011, 11:48 AM
By the time he comes back most of the players he started with will be gone and a whole new regime with premierships under the belt ;) he might not fit in or be good enough.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 03:16 PM
Not definition of last laugh = turning pick 19 into a player that (barely) lasted two seasons, helped you (barely) avoid the wooden spoon with his last kick in AFL, and is now in the SANFL.

Definition of last laugh = turning a declining player with (barely) 2 years left into pick 19 which turned into a player who helped us to 3 prelims and recently negotiated a multi-million dollar deal to a new franchise, which will turn to at least one, if not two early draft picks that will have the potential to play another 10 years.

The geniuses down at Tigerland need a lesson in basic logic.

Remi Moses
06-09-2011, 03:26 PM
This^^. The Jordan McMahon pick will still live.
I like Rance as a player, but he does make poor decisions and isn't a great kick.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Not to mention that Jordy ACTUALLY played seven good seasons for the Dogs, so it's not even pick 19 that we're talking about, we've gotten so much service from Pick 10 in the 2000 (!) national draft, which may well continue to have an impact WELL into the 2020s!

1 pick for 20-25 years of TOP-TIER service vs. 1 pick for 2 years of SHITHOUSE service? Now THAT'S a last laugh.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Not definition of last laugh = turning pick 19 into a player that (barely) lasted two seasons, helped you (barely) avoid the wooden spoon with his last kick in AFL, and is now in the SANFL.

Definition of last laugh = turning a declining player with (barely) 2 years left into pick 19 which turned into a player who helped us to 3 prelims and recently negotiated a multi-million dollar deal to a new franchise, which will turn to at least one, if not two early draft picks that will have the potential to play another 10 years.

The geniuses down at Tigerland need a lesson in basic logic.
Like it, spot on.

Scorlibo
06-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Not to mention that Jordy ACTUALLY played seven good seasons for the Dogs, so it's not even pick 19 that we're talking about, we've gotten so much service from Pick 10 in the 2000 (!) national draft, which may well continue to have an impact WELL into the 2020s!

1 pick for 20-25 years of TOP-TIER service vs. 1 pick for 2 years of SHITHOUSE service? Now THAT'S a last laugh.

Nailed it.

Remi Moses
06-09-2011, 09:54 PM
The conditions that have been agreed to (uncontracted players being accessible)
The condition that teams be compensated has to also be adhered to. Come to the party AFL fair is fair

Flamethrower
07-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Those who laugh last think the slowest.