PDA

View Full Version : Hall signs off a joyful man

Hotdog60
04-09-2011, 09:26 AM
http://images.smh.com.au/2011/09/03/2602093/art-svBHALLPAGE3-420x0.jpg

BARRY Hall's coach called him to the bench during his theatrical last quarter as an AFL footballer to ensure he didn't finish his career on an undesirable note.

Paul Williams, the Western Bulldogs' caretaker coach and a former teammate of Hall at Sydney, said after yesterday's 46-point win over Fremantle that Hall should be ''remembered in the right way, as a wonderful athlete, a super competitor, a guy who gives his heart and soul to the footy club''.

To the end, though, Hall walked a fine line and Williams saw the need to speak to him after he charged up the ground on the lead and briefly caught his opponent, Alex Silvagni, in a headlock, conceding a free kick. He then gave away a 50-metre penalty for mouthing off at the umpire. Though it was not a malicious incident, it was a situation that might once have caused Hall to snap. Instead, he came back on and booted four of his five goals for the afternoon.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hall-signs-off-a-joyful-man-20110903-1jrpx.html#ixzz1WvmrZfFz

GVGjr
04-09-2011, 10:08 AM
It was a great thing to give him a win. Loved the way Hudson was stating up in the last quarter and of course Barry hitting his straps and bagging a few.

SlimPickens
04-09-2011, 12:13 PM
The last qtr yesterday was an absolute pleasure to watch. A fitting send off for Baz and Huddo. Baz certainly finished at the peak of his powers, what a super month and a bit.

LostDoggy
04-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I must be getting a bit emotional as I get older because I shed tears watching the game on tv yesterday. Not just for Barry but Huddo too. I feel like they've both been at the club forever and I'm going to miss them both being out there. Throw in the Ward situation and it was a sad day in my opinion. Make no mistake, we will miss Barry's presence in our forward line for his ability to unsettle and scare the shit out of the opposition and also his ability to mentor and look after his younger team mates.

Greystache
04-09-2011, 01:42 PM
It was a great thing to give him a win. Loved the way Hudson was stating up in the last quarter and of course Barry hitting his straps and bagging a few.

That was brilliant wasn't it, he was even smiling as he was doing it.

azabob
04-09-2011, 01:45 PM

There was a stage in the 4th quarter where Huddo marked the ball on the wing and was throwing / twirling the ball in the air and the crowd was going nuts each time he did it. (from memory he did it 3-4 times)

azabob
04-09-2011, 01:49 PM
This may sound strange the one good thing about not making the finals is knowing when it was Barry Halls and Ben Hudsons last game.

I felt we could really enjoy and embrace their final weeks representing our club.

It was such a pleasure watching Hall and Hudson get every last touch.

AndrewP6
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Boy I'm glad I was there. Seeing Baz reel off those last four goals (to go with his great banana earlier), was just terrific. I've loved every minute of the ride since he's been here, and as others note, it seems longer than two years in many ways.

Huddo has just always looked like a guy who loves being out there. Gives his all to the team, gives his all in sledging the opponents...

LostDoggy
04-09-2011, 01:59 PM
There was a stage in the 4th quarter where Huddo marked the ball on the wing and was throwing / twirling the ball in the air and the crowd was going nuts each time he did it. (from memory he did it 3-4 times)

Loved that too.

Couldn't have asked for a better sendoff for Baz in that last quarter, gave it his all. Loved when the players came from everywhere to celebrate his last 3 goals. True Comradery.

Feels like Huddo and Hall have been with us for 10 years, I will always remember them as Bulldogs and as we've seen in the buildup to the week they will be terribly missed around the club too.

GVGjr
04-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Yep, that's what I meant about stating up. Funny stuff

KT31
09-09-2011, 12:35 AM
It is a great shame we did not have them both at the club from the start of their careers.
Not only as footballers but both as great characters that would have lifted the clubs profile.
It has been a pleasure to watch them both finish in a Doggies jumper, if only what could have been.

Mantis
09-09-2011, 08:49 AM

The ch 10 commentators thought that this action was the sign of a set play as several other players were shown twirling the ball thru the day.

chef
09-09-2011, 08:57 AM
The ch 10 commentators thought that this action was the sign of a set play as several other players were shown twirling the ball thru the day.

Lloyd was dribbling on about how they used that to sign that they were going to go short, Hudson then proceeded to kick it long:D

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Lloyd was dribbling on about how they used that to sign that they were going to go short, Hudson then proceeded to kick it long:D

That was hilarious

Go_Dogs
09-09-2011, 09:35 AM
That was hilarious

Agreed!

Certainly seemed to be a new 'hold the ball in the air' sign - which usually meant a long kick down the line.

LostDoggy
09-09-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't think i've ever seen Huddo attempt a short pass. Well done Lloydy.

azabob
10-09-2011, 02:40 PM
It is a great shame we did not have them both at the club from the start of their careers.
Not only as footballers but both as great characters that would have lifted the clubs profile.
It has been a pleasure to watch them both finish in a Doggies jumper, if only what could have been.

If Hall had started with us rather than St.Kilda im fairly sure he would have only lasted a few years and still ended up at Sydney.