PDA

View Full Version : Club Statement on Callan Ward

bornadog
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Callan Ward today informed the Western Bulldogs that he will head to the new AFL franchise Greater Western Sydney for season 2012.

Bulldogs Chief Executive, Simon Garlick said it was incredibly disappointing he had chosen not to be at the Dogs next year.

“We have done everything we responsibly could to keep Callan at the Western Bulldogs,” Garlick said.

“While it’s disappointing that Callan has made this decision, we will be looking to ensure we receive appropriate compensation to enable us to continue to build on our solid core of experienced players and exciting pool of young talent.

“There is a massive opportunity to positively contribute to our list which has already had a fantastic boost in recent weeks with the re-signing of eight of our young guns,” Garlick said.

Garlick also confirmed that further re-signings would be announced shortly.

for westernbulldogs.com.au (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/122697/default.aspx)

Greystache
05-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Wow, what a shock. After a gut wrenching 12 months where he simply couldn't decide what to do he finally manages to make the decision to take the money the day after the season finishes.

Now *!*!*!*! off you lying mercenary.

Bulldog Revolution
05-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm just over it, its done, compensate us and pick good kids to replace him

The sooner we get a new coach on board the better

Grantysghost
05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Wow i just did a Rafa and slid of my chair in shock ;)

angelopetraglia
05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
We all knew it was coming, but to read the official statement still makes me fill ill.

A massive stake in the heart. I just can't see the likes of Essendon, Collingwood or Carlton losing the best young talent to other clubs.

I just hope this isn't the begining of a new era (with free agency) that sees us unable to keep our best talent like in previous generations (Quinlan, Round, Dempsey, Edmond, Templeton etc.). The best players of our most recent generation all stayed loyal (West, Grant, Johnson, Smith, Darcy, Wynd, Libba etc.).

I just feel history is about to repeat itself. Sad, very sad day for our club.

bulldogsman
05-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Callan I'd have some respect for you if you were honest, but you lied to my face and to others. Good riddance.

bornadog
05-09-2011, 12:17 PM
I am now looking forward to what picks will come our way.

The Coon Dog
05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Its decisions like this that turn people away from the game.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Well, knock me down with a feather! Urrgghhh! I'm frankly over it too, and whilst it hurts like hell, let's just pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and get on with the job of finding a new coach and hopefully reaping some just reward for his decision. Agree with you CoonDog, it's just a sad, sad day for football really.......:(

Dancin' Douggy
05-09-2011, 12:23 PM
I am disgusted in the clubs decision to play him against Freo. Disgusted.

SlimPickens
05-09-2011, 12:26 PM
I am disgusted in the clubs decision to play him against Freo. Disgusted.

weak as piss springs to mind

w3design
05-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I guess you could say that he never played 60 games for the Dogs. Most games towards the end of the year, he was playing for himself and NOT the jumper......:mad:
Bon voyage.
Hope Ward has a chat to Nathan Brown about 'Karma'

chef
05-09-2011, 12:39 PM

I think it says more about the players character than it does the game and it makes you appreciate people like Griffen even more.

BulldogBelle
05-09-2011, 12:41 PM
weak as piss springs to mind

Melbourne had the balls to drop Scully for the last game vs Port

Now Fantasia, Garlick and Smorgan need to be on the air and on the phone to AFL HQ demanding that we are compensated adequetely for Ward

bornadog
05-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Tweet from Emma Q

I completely understand why Cal Ward is going yet it makes me really sad. Why? Kids leaving clubs that they love for crazy money I guess

w3design
05-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I guess the best theory now is to employ a Peter Rhode type coach for a year, so that we finish towards the bottom, so that we can use the Ward compensation picks next year between Picks 1 - 10.....

SlimPickens
05-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Melbourne had the balls to drop Scully for the last game vs Port

Now Fantasia, Garlick and Smorgan need to be on the air and on the phone to AFL HQ demanding that we are compensated adequetely for Ward

It's my understanding that the players wanted him to play. Thats fine but the MC don't have to agree with it.

agree with what you've said.

bornadog
05-09-2011, 12:53 PM
I guess the best theory now is to employ a Peter Rhode type coach for a year, so that we finish towards the bottom, so that we can use the Ward compensation picks next year between Picks 1 - 10.....

We don't need a Peter Rhode type, doesn't matter who we have, we will most likely finish outside the 8 anyway. We just don't have the players, in the 23 to 28 group that will take us to finals.

Cooney is shot, which leaves Griffen; everyone else is either too old or too young. We have to get more games into the young guys and get them over 50 games and then we may have a shot at finals.

dadsgirl16
05-09-2011, 01:08 PM
I guess a new avatar is in order...shattered but not surprised

The Coon Dog
05-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I think it says more about the players character than it does the game and it makes you appreciate people like Griffen even more.

No, that's not it Chef. I can't understand how the game allows a young kid to be placed in such a position where he has a decision such as this to make.

Grantysghost
We don't need a Peter Rhode type, doesn't matter who we have, we will most likely finish outside the 8 anyway. We just don't have the players, in the 23 to 28 group that will take us to finals.

Cooney is shot, which leaves Griffen; everyone else is either too old or too young. We have to get more games into the young guys and get them over 50 games and then we may have a shot at finals.

Looking back at 2009 Prelim side where i guess we were at the peak of our powers in the Eade era and the differences to now are quite staggering :

Gone : Harbrow, Johnson, Hahn, Callan, Akermanis, Hudson, Ward, Welsh, Eagleton.

Hall gone our best goal kicker two seasons post 2009.

Doubts over Gilbee, Cooney, Lake, Hargrave that remain.

LostDoggy
Tweet from Emma Q

I completely understand why Cal Ward is going yet it makes me really sad. Why? Kids leaving clubs that they love for crazy money I guess

He'll get out of life whatever he looks for. If it's money, he'll get it. Love, loyalty and friendship have taken the backseat.

I can't blame him, not really. I'm furious about it, and he broke my heart, but at the end of the day he's a young guy who's out to make a living for himself. This will set him up for life, financially.

But now?

He's the enemy. Just another player in another opposition guernsey. Fair gameā€¦

Cyberdoggie
05-09-2011, 01:17 PM

I would turn straight back on if we used that money we offered Callan to lure Butcher from Port. :)

Greystache
05-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Nathan Brown said something interesting on the footy show on Sunday. He said Callan Ward is known as cement head, perhaps he realises with his limited intellectual ability he needs to make more out of his time in football than other players, due to having less chance to build a successful post-football career.

A fair slap, but perhaps goes toward explaining why most players turned down the GWS money and he didn't.

Maddog37
05-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Well I am going to take the high road and wish him all the best.

Bitterness and holding grudges is a fast way to nowhere.

I can choose to spend my time worrying about Ward or thinking how good it is to have players like Griff and Cross and even little Grommet.

Ward is no longer worth the sweat of my knackerbags.

Go Dogs!!!!

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Sad to see him go - but it was expected. Definetly, does not make it any easier as a supporter. The club needs us supporters now more than ever over the next few years. And lets hope that we can move forward !!!!

Grantysghost
05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Nathan Brown said something interesting on the footy show on Sunday. He said Callan Ward is known as cement head, perhaps he realises with his limited intellectual ability he needs to make more out of his time in football than other players, due to having less chance to build a successful post-football career.

A fair slap, but perhaps goes toward explaining why most players turned down the GWS money and he didn't.

Probably more to do with his attack on the footy.

Mantis
05-09-2011, 01:31 PM

That isn't true.

Remi Moses
05-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Apparently according to his manager , Paul Connors it's just not about the money.
Stay indoors folks Flying Pig alert

azabob
05-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Apparently according to his manager , Paul Connors it's just not about the money.
Stay indoors folks Flying Pig alert

Did he happen to say what it was about then?

It wasn't about the money? Then what was it about?

w3design
05-09-2011, 01:38 PM
We lose another gun kid in that age bracket we lack while the big 5 clubs lose nothing what a joke.
Hope Wards career ends like another money hungry player Nathan Brown brake a leg ward good luck at the giants .

bornadog
05-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Well Rocket described him at best a B plus player because he lacks the smarts to be an A Grader, a lot of truth in his nick name.

Remi Moses
05-09-2011, 01:39 PM
It's my understanding that the players wanted him to play. Thats fine but the MC don't have to agree with it.

agree with what you've said.

Talk about the tail wagging the dog( pardon the pun)
Why bother having a MC might as well have the players pick the side every week!
What a gutless Lilly livid decision:mad:

strebla
05-09-2011, 01:39 PM
What really hurts me is he is a local boy and knows what it may mean to the local kids. What does this teach them take the money and run team-mates and friends are secondary!!! As for his manager he has to say that just as Nathan went to play finals he just doubled his share and I am sure he wasn't thinking about that!!

Remi Moses
05-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Waffled on about the up coming draft picks and the future prospects.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Paul Williams made the comment that he thought booing Ward was " un-Australian"
I understand where he's coming from.

However, when other clubs are dropping their defecting players, it basically says the club thinks we are a bunch of chumps....CHUMPS!
we knew they knew, and they knew we knew that they knew. But the charade was played out.

We would have beaten Freo by a mile, without Callan, and in my view,
if the players are going to be super precious about it, and would have been upset, had he not played, it bodes well for the spirit amongst the playing group, but it shows there is a wide gap between how they feel and the supporters feel about the club.

GVGjr
05-09-2011, 01:50 PM
We lose another gun kid in that age bracket we lack while the big 5 clubs lose nothing what a joke.
Hope Wards career ends like another money hungry player Nathan Brown brake a leg ward good luck at the giants .
It might also say something about clubs like ours ability to be pro active enough at re signing players as well.
There is some speculation we had a chance to sign him last year but for whatever reason stalled.

strebla
05-09-2011, 02:01 PM
It might also say something about clubs like ours ability to be pro active enough at re signing players as well.
There is some speculation we had a chance to sign him last year but for whatever reason stalled.

If there is a scerrick of truth to this then Fanasia should be sacked some of his contract negotiations have been deplorable I know we need a list manager but if we had the chance to sign Callan and didn't that is gross incompetence!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

azabob
05-09-2011, 02:05 PM

From my understanding we put a less than worthy contact to him mid last year. All speculation now.

As you have pointed out as well as Sedat we dont seem to be able sell our vision and our future very well.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Callan - loved watching you play in the red, white and blue. Now that you have chosen to leave us, i am going to hope that you never have the ultimate success and will love giving you as much grief as i can.

You are either with us or against us. As a local boy, you have chosen to turn your back on the club that you and your family barracked for. Not a smart move. Take the money and run you turncoat.

BulldogBelle
05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
OK - Ward is gone.

The sky isnt falling.

Lets think about all of the players that we re-signed in the last 5-10 years - who has split and ran for the cash- Brown? Harbrow? Ward?

Lets focus out efforts on ensuring we are provided with adequete compensation from GWS - our President and CEO need to be on the phone to AFL HQ and they need to be fronting the media ASAP - and demanding that we recieve fair compensation for Ward.

The Coon Dog
05-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Lets focus out efforts on ensuring we are provided with adequete compensation from GWS - our President and CEO need to be on the phone to AFL HQ and they need to be fronting the media ASAP - and demanding that we recieve fair compensation for Ward.

Just at the moment I find it hard to believe anything our club is telling us.

On Saturday James Fantasia was selling hope that we could retain Ward when he & everyone else knew Ward had already decided to leave. I felt sick listening to it.

Heard Smorgo talk in the social club & it was less than inspiring to be honest.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Long time coming. Glad its finally official.

Always loved the way he went about it, kids got skill.

But the amount their paying for him? He isn't worth that much, as it was touted by (Darcy I think) on radio- $800-850k a year for our 3rd? 4th? best midfielder, seems pretty stupid. But if thats a pricetag for 'Potential' hope he doesn't live upto their standards.

Players leaving for money don't deserve success.

the banker
05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Ward was NOT the heart and soul of our Club. Other players have that status. The kid can play a bit but ATM he is a B grader. It is nonetheless a real kick in the guts for us, but hey, lets get adequate compensation and move on. Opportunity knocks for Tutt, Howard, Wallis and Libba.

Lets get the better of this situation.

Cal will live with his decision.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Great. Let's get some top draft picks, train and nurture some young talent for a few years and then watch them leave for more money elsewhere. Am feeling pretty cynical and uninspired by the footy landscape these days.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Jeezus. Brown is not the fastest Kangaroo in the paddock by any stretch. What a stupid thing to say.

1eyedog
05-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Let's just see what we get as compensation and what the options are with the picks.

Footy has made me a nastier person this year.

Bulldog4life
05-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Callan - loved watching you play in the red, white and blue. Now that you have chosen to leave us, i am going to hope that you never have the ultimate success and will love giving you as much grief as i can.

You are either with us or against us. As a local boy, you have chosen to turn your back on the club that you and your family barracked for. Not a smart move. Take the money and run you turncoat.

That's the problem....they didn't. Might have a bit to do with it too.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Callan who?

Go dogs.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Hope Ward's career goes to shit.

There's a few people I know already who have 'walked away' - per se - from football and the club. I think it's completely understandable.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Callan who?

Go dogs.

^^ This.

bornadog
05-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Hope Ward's career goes to shit.

There's a few people I know already who have 'walked away' - per se - from football and the club. I think it's completely understandable.

pussies:D

MrMahatma
05-09-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm disappointed, but in reality I think he's been overrated. Tough, hard at it, sounds like a good kid. Average skills most of the time. We need more polish and hopefully we use this as an opportunity, not a problem.

BulldogBelle
05-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Great. Let's get some top draft picks, train and nurture some young talent for a few years and then watch them leave for more money elsewhere. Am feeling pretty cynical and uninspired by the footy landscape these days.

So true MS.

GVGjr
05-09-2011, 06:42 PM
From my understanding we put a less than worthy contact to him mid last year. All speculation now.

As you have pointed out as well as Sedat we dont seem to be able sell our vision and our future very well.

This is the thing. I'm very disappointed in Wards decision and whilst it's understandable I don't think he has made the right decision and the timing of it is far from ideal. You simply can't put a price on the adulation he would have received if he had chosen to stay.

That being said, why did he make that decision and how much of it has the club contributed to that?

My guess (it's only a guess) is that we could have had this stitched up last year and a good pro-active club would have had it all completed before someone had the chance to get into his ear. It's certainly a missed opportunity for us in my opinion.

GVGjr
05-09-2011, 06:43 PM

There won't be any new teams introduced to the competition for many years so this is the final windfall for players to earn 50 to 100% more than they are worth.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 06:47 PM
There won't be any new teams introduced to the competition for many years so this is the final windfall for players to earn 50 to 100% more than they are worth.

What will free agency introduce then? Also it looks like AFLPA are winning the race for better player payments.
To me, Its all rosy for the players.

AndrewP6
05-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Tweet from Emma Q

I'd get that... if he was a kid.
I don't believe for second he loves the club. Just 'a' club that offers the most money. Sickening.

AndrewP6
05-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Maybe it's just that he's a money-grabbing, disingenuous mercenary - and others aren't.

AndrewP6
05-09-2011, 07:41 PM

Sure did... went something like this: "Er,um, ah..."

Topdog
05-09-2011, 07:48 PM
My guess (it's only a guess) is that we could have had this stitched up last year and a good pro-active club would have had it all completed before someone had the chance to get into his ear. It's certainly a missed opportunity for us in my opinion.

To be fair I don't think his manager is that stupid. Every manager wanted their player to be out of contract in 2010/11/12.

Only way to ensure you get paid overs. Would actually be a very crap manager if he didn't.

Hotdog60
05-09-2011, 09:42 PM
The Ball is now in Wally's court, Ward who?

I hope we win a GF within the next 4 years and we knock GWS out of it leading up to it.

FrediKanoute
06-09-2011, 02:07 AM
This is the thing. I'm very disappointed in Wards decision and whilst it's understandable I don't think he has made the right decision and the timing of it is far from ideal. You simply can't put a price on the adulation he would have received if he had chosen to stay.

That being said, why did he make that decision and how much of it has the club contributed to that?

If we had the chance to sign him up last year, then knowing what we did re GWS, then it is a ,monumental !!!!!!! up