PDA

View Full Version : Callan's reason for leaving

chef
05-09-2011, 03:13 PM
http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Au...llan-Ward/2976

bornadog
05-09-2011, 03:16 PM
What a joke, we all know its due to the size of the paycheck. Pull the other leg.

w3design
05-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Utter tripe, such as him tripping himself up by revealing that other players signed earlier in the year, then attempting to backtrack and deny it.

Could almost enjoy his convoluted reasoning..ward took a long time to make up his mind because in AFL, loyalty matters, unlike in rugby..:eek:

The bit that really stuck in my throat.. Callan goes up to Sydney next week, but in meantime is out socializing with his 'teammates' who have all been 'supportive'. Yes I know their mateship and camaraderie is important. I don't expect them to shun him. I don't even know why it made me feel so bad, but it just did. It's like it's only us supporters who are grieving but that's probably the reality reflecting that any one of them could be shopped around by the club over the next few 'meat market' weeks.

cinder
05-09-2011, 03:51 PM
It's because it's like wanting his cake and eating it too - pissing off to GWS but also wanting the current players to still be his best buddies.

Doc26
05-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Utter tripe, such as him tripping himself up by revealing that other players signed earlier in the year, then attempting to backtrack and deny it.

Could almost enjoy his convoluted reasoning..ward took a long time to make up his mind because in AFL, loyalty matters, unlike in rugby..:eek:

The bit that really stuck in my throat.. Callan goes up to Sydney next week, but in meantime is out socializing with his 'teammates' who have all been 'supportive'. Yes I know their mateship and camaraderie is important. I don't expect them to shun him. I don't even know why it made me feel so bad, but it just did. It's like it's only us supporters who are grieving but that's probably the reality reflecting that any one of them could be shopped around by the club over the next few 'meat market' weeks.

R54, time now to get your mum to work on her voodoo magic.

Remi Moses
05-09-2011, 04:27 PM

At least the NRL are public with their detections.
Unlike the AFL with lying and cloak and dagger rubbish we get subjeced to.
The AFL trying on the integrity card is laughable:eek:

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Will go down with Nathan Brown as a money hungry traitor.

I sincerely hope he never plays in another finals series let alone a GF, and I never want to see him return to the club.

Cyberdoggie
05-09-2011, 04:47 PM
I hope he cried when he was boo'ed. :)

bornadog
05-09-2011, 05:28 PM
I hope he cried when he was boo'ed. :)

He will cop more next year. Even though Harbrow also left for money, the public make an allowance as he said he wanted to be closer to his family.

ledge
05-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I will not be jeering him because I will be too busy looking at my own teams new guns and soaking up the enjoyment I will get from them than to worry about another teams player.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Will go down with Nathan Brown as a money hungry traitor.

I sincerely hope he never plays in another finals series let alone a GF, and I never want to see him return to the club.
I said earlier in the season, how could he turn down that sort of money and I could understand if he took it. I still understand to a point, but now that it is official I wish him no physical harm but hope his career goes pear shaped from here on. The CLUB is BIGGER than any individual, lets hope we get a superstar out of the whole dirty process. What hope do clubs like us have, look at the AFL stopping Melbourne arranging a third party deal with Scully and then look at the Judd deal at Carlton. I can not accept that the Collingwood's and Carlton's don't pay money under the table.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't care about the going so much, I care about the barefaced lying. I've always said these guys (and their 'I don't know anything' family members) should get acting careers.

Signed. A. Long. Time. Ago. And. Has. Been. Bullshitting. For. Months.

Mofra
05-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Signed. A. Long. Time. Ago. And. Has. Been. Bullshitting. For. Months.
Source? I know you've been saying this for a few weeks, but the information I have is the complete opposite of this so I'm interested to know.

AndrewP6
05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Bullshit. Absolute, utter bullshit.
"Players are very loyal","It wasn't just about the money". Oh please.
"There's a number of factors".... but I can't really list any of them right now.

I've got no idea who Paul Connors even is, and already I think he's a prick. Sorry about the language, mods.

Topdog
05-09-2011, 07:38 PM
so what actual reason did he give? (no audio here)

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Source? I know you've been saying this for a few weeks, but the information I have is the complete opposite of this so I'm interested to know.

Look, clearly I can't tell you exactly where I heard this from on an open forum.

Suffice to say I used to work very closely with media analyst/advisor/consultant types and have been privy to information from inside a few clubs for a while now from very close personal relationships with people who are not only in the business of knowing this stuff, its their business to help clubs (and players and other stakeholders) decide what to do with and how to communicate this stuff. I have, in fact, never had an interest in breaking their confidentiality over a long period of time (even though it's often tempting to) but this case has made me emotional enough to blurt generalities.

I'll ask you a few questions: I'm sure you're not so naive to think that Callan just signed with GWS today. When do you think he signed? If so, since his story ("struggling to make up his mind", "really difficult decision" etc.) has been so consistent (so consistent that every media piece about him in the last 6 months carried exactly the same story) and didn't change until today, yet he clearly signed somewhere prior to today, where do you think he got that story from, how he was so disciplined at keeping to it, and at what point it became a lie? Do you really think he just came up with it, decided somewhere along the line to sign the contract, then kept telling the same story until today? It's amazing that his family, just coincidentally, also carried the exact same messaging, almost to the letter (and if you check out all the 'I know a friend of his sister' stories here on WOOF they all say the same thing).

I'll also ask you to do another thing -- go check out Tom Scully stories in the media over the last 6 months and see if there is a 'consistent story' in them as well.

We all know that Fantasia came out on the weekend and tried to sell us some tripe about still having hope of signing Callan, even though HE ALREADY KNEW AT THAT POINT that Callan was gone. Do you think that was just an off-the-cuff lie, or part of a broader strategy to sell hope to supporters? Do you think Ward, or his agent, was disinterested in protecting his own brand? Do we really think that anything we hear from these high-profile players about a sensitive issue has not already been strategically managed? Are any of us still that naive to think that anyone is speaking 'off-the-cuff' about these matters?

FINALLY, since this is all part of the GWS/AFL agenda and the AFL have an interest in protecting their reputation and not be seen to be raping clubs through all the secret concessions and secret signing windows, don't you think ALL THE MORE the AFL would have a massive interest in the messaging provided by players who signed in the open window? Don't you think it's a little bit coincidental that Harbrow's story was essentially exactly the same as Callan's (other than the "going home" bit)?

Messaging is designed to obscure the facts and protect reputations, and is just a way of life in the AFL.

AndrewP6
05-09-2011, 07:52 PM
so what actual reason did he give? (no audio here)

It was his manager. Made his decision "after the season" apparently. A "really difficult decision" apparently...It wasn't just about money, apparently. Draft picks, and the fact that they're going to be "a power" in the AFL. There are "a number of factors". Talked about loyalty when discussing his client leaving for money and draft picks.
Complete crap.

LostDoggy
05-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Look, clearly I can't tell you exactly where I heard this from on an open forum.

Suffice to say I used to work very closely with media analyst/advisor/consultant types and have been privy to information from inside a few clubs for a while now from very close personal relationships with people who are not only in the business of knowing this stuff, its their business to help clubs (and players and other stakeholders) decide what to do with and how to communicate this stuff. I have, in fact, never had an interest in breaking their confidentiality over a long period of time (even though it's often tempting to) but this case has made me emotional enough to blurt generalities.

I'll ask you a few questions: I'm sure you're not so naive to think that Callan just signed with GWS today. When do you think he signed? If so, since his story ("struggling to make up his mind") has been so consistent (so consistent that every media piece about him in the last 6 months carried exactly the same story) and didn't change until today, yet he clearly signed somewhere prior to today, where do you think he got that story from, how he was so disciplined at keeping to it, and at what point it became a lie? Do you really think he just came up with it, decided somewhere along the line to sign the contract, then kept telling the same story until today? It's amazing that his family, just coincidentally, also carried the exact same messaging, almost to the letter (and if you check out all the 'I know a friend of his sister' stories here on WOOF they all say the same thing).

I'll also ask you to do another thing -- go check out Tom Scully stories in the media over the last 6 months and see if there is a 'consistent story' in them as well.

Finally, we all know that Fantasia came out on the weekend and tried to sell us some tripe about still having hope of signing Callan, even though HE ALREADY KNEW AT THAT POINT that Callan was gone. Do you think that was just an off-the-cuff lie, or part of a broader strategy to sell hope to supporters? Do you think Ward, or his agent, was disinterested in protecting his own brand? Do we really think that anything we hear from these high-profile players about a sensitive issue has not already been managed? Are any of us still that naive to think that anyone is speaking 'off-the-cuff' about these matters?

Its pretty sad if that's the case, sounds like we were never in with a chance. Makes you wonder about the integrity of the bloke. All is settled now, so i guess it doesn't really matter, let hope the picks we get are good ones and we pick up kids with integrity who put Callan to shame in ability and commitment.

Mofra
05-09-2011, 08:12 PM
NPs

I'll ask you a few questions: I'm sure you're not so naive to think that Callan just signed with GWS today. When do you think he signed? If so, since his story ("struggling to make up his mind", "really difficult decision" etc.) has been so consistent (so consistent that every media piece about him in the last 6 months carried exactly the same story) and didn't change until today, yet he clearly signed somewhere prior to today, where do you think he got that story from, how he was so disciplined at keeping to it, and at what point it became a lie? Do you really think he just came up with it, decided somewhere along the line to sign the contract, then kept telling the same story until today? It's amazing that his family, just coincidentally, also carried the exact same messaging, almost to the letter (and if you check out all the 'I know a friend of his sister' stories here on WOOF they all say the same thing).
What point do I think he made up his mind? Sometime in the last three weeks - I do believe that at the family dinner three weeks ago he still wasn't sure.

There is a consistent story with them as well - although Scully had actually told people he wqs going months ago.
There were also consistent stories with Taylor Walker and Alipate Carlisle. The rumour mill isn't 100%.

We all know that Fantasia came out on the weekend and tried to sell us some tripe about still having hope of signing Callan, even though HE ALREADY KNEW AT THAT POINT that Callan was gone. Do you think that was just an off-the-cuff lie, or part of a broader strategy to sell hope to supporters? Do you think Ward, or his agent, was disinterested in protecting his own brand? Do we really think that anything we hear from these high-profile players about a sensitive issue has not already been strategically managed? Are any of us still that naive to think that anyone is speaking 'off-the-cuff' about these matters?
I didn't hear anything from Callan last weekend - to my knowledge he hadn't made any public comments, but I believe that he definately made his decision before last weekend.

Don't get me started on Fantasia again, for the love of god.

FINALLY, since this is all part of the GWS/AFL agenda and the AFL have an interest in protecting their reputation and not be seen to be raping clubs through all the secret concessions and secret signing windows, don't you think ALL THE MORE the AFL would have a massive interest in the messaging provided by players who signed in the open window? Don't you think it's a little bit coincidental that Harbrow's story was essentially exactly the same as Callan's (other than the "going home" bit)?

Messaging is designed to obscure the facts and protect reputations, and is just a way of life in the AFL.
Harbrow's story seemed vastly different to me - the only issue is that he liked playing football with his mates at the club, everything else pointed to him going.

I still don't believe Callan made an easy decision - it was something that he deliberated over for months. Unlike Harbrow, there is no doubt that money was the ultimate factor, either.

Remi Moses
05-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I heard in July he was going ! I tried and hoped not to believe it, we had players telling supporters. The constant lies and tribulations has driven me nuts!!

w3design
05-09-2011, 09:18 PM
R54, time now to get your mum to work on her voodoo magic.
The cauldron is simmering..apparently Coles are out of eye-of-newt which is hampering her efforts.

1eyedog
05-09-2011, 10:53 PM
What the hell has this forum turned into?