PDA

View Full Version : 2011 All Australian candidates

Greystache
05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
With the season now wrapt up who do we think from the Bulldogs is a chance for All Australian selection?

Possibles

Boyd- Has been given the nod previously, and his stats still make good reading on paper. After being underated for so long, he's now being overated in the media. Could be a strong chance.

Griffen- A strong chance to go back-to-back in the Bulldogs B&F this year. The opposite to Boyd in many way, after being overated for so long in the media, he is probably underated these days. Might miss out to higher profile midfielders.

Morris- Made the team back in 2008, but hasn't had a look in since. Has probably had the best season of his career this year, and only missed the last 3 games which shouldn't hurt his chances too much, but little has been made of his season in the media so probably won't get a look in.

Murphy- Another to have had arguably his career best season and has been massively better than some of the HBF being raved about in the media like Yarran and Davis. It's much easier racking up offensive touches when you're not under the pump from the opposition in attack, though I doubt the selectors watch much more than the highlights tape and the stat sheet, so will most likely miss out too.

Outside Chances

Probably not too many in that category this year, it's been a season of have's and have not's in many ways.

Gia- Has kicked about as many goals as any other small forward in the comp, and had a stellar 2 month period in the middle of the season, but his early and late season form weren't overly spectacular.

Hall- Only 3 key forwards kicked more goals than Barry this season, and all of them played significantly more games. His end of the season form was arguably the best in the league which may go in his favour, but overall it seems unlikely he'll make the team.

What are everyone's thought on our players chances?

SlimPickens
05-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd actually be surprised if we get any AA this year.

Boyd would be the likely inclusion but really apart from his stats, his year hasn't been that good.

I would love to see Murph get some recognition but think that'll come from within the club.

Swoop
05-09-2011, 05:08 PM
The AA team tends to be a reflection on the teams performance and with that in mind I can't see any of our players earning selection despite Morris & Murphy being stellar in defence all season.

Griffen also carried our midfield for large portions of the season yet a by product of winning is greater attention from the media, more stats and just looking better so there will be other players ahead in the queue for selection through the midfield.

1eyedog
05-09-2011, 05:33 PM
With Shaw out for the latter half of the year Yarran and Murphy would have to come close to sewing up the half back flanker roles IMO.

Swoop
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
With Shaw out for the latter half of the year Yarran and Murphy would have to come close to sewing up the half back flanker roles IMO.
Rightly or wrongly I'd imagine they would be competing with the following players for the creative running defender role; Leon Davis, Corey Enright, Grant Birchall, Brett Deledio, Brendan Goddard & Shannon Hurn.

Pearce Hanley has also had a good season for Brisbane but I doubt he would come under consideration.

chef
05-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Can't see us getting anyone:(

How longs it been since that happened?

mjp
05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Boyd would be the likely inclusion but really apart from his stats, his year hasn't been that good.

Boyd has been heroic and I would be staggered if he is not selected. Not that good a year? What would you have had him do?

jazzadogs
05-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Boyd will definitely get a spot, most likely on the bench. The media have loved him, and despite his decreased efficiency he has done plenty right this year.

I would still rate Griffen and Murphy has having had better years, but neither of them will get a look in.

Greystache
05-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Boyd has been heroic and I would be staggered if he is not selected. Not that good a year? What would you have had him do?

Hitting a target by footy occasionally would be a start. I'd have Griffen, Murphy, and Morris ahead of him in the B&F count.

the banker
05-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Boyd has had a great year. If he had effective disposals he would be right up there with Judd, but he doesn't so I think he deserves a spot on the bench. Our only candidate really for AA.

Murphy or Griffen likely winners of the B&F though.

Mofra
05-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Boyd is the no 1 player in the competition for winning the contested football this year.
That's elite and he'd surely be in the mix.

boydogs
05-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Boyd will be selected on field, but that's it IMO

bornadog
05-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Boyds stats are pretty impressive which ever way you look at it:

2011 Statistical Rankings
Ranked 1st in Clearances Per Game
Ranked 1st in Total Disposals
Ranked 2nd in Total Kicks
Ranked 7th in Total Handballs
Ranked 1st in Total 1st Possessions
Ranked 1st in Total Clearances
Ranked 4th in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 8th in Total Cont Poss
Ranked 2nd in Total Unc Poss
Ranked 9th in Total Scoring Assists

He is also ranked 5th in Effective Disposals which would surprise many on this board and third in effective clearances (2 less than than 1st ie Mark Murphy)

comrade
05-09-2011, 10:42 PM

He is also ranked 5th in Effective Disposals which would surprise many on this board and third in effective clearances (2 less than than 1st ie Mark Murphy)

It's an impressive list and he has had a very good year. That being said, I reckon he would figure highly for most ineffective disposals.

bornadog
06-09-2011, 12:26 AM
It's an impressive list and he has had a very good year. That being said, I reckon he would figure highly for most ineffective disposals.

If you look at the stats, all the high possession players have an effective disposal of between 60 to 70%. Judd is on 66% and Boyd on 63%, Ablett, Mitchell, Priddis all similar. However, Swann, Pendelbury, Murphy are averaging around 72%.

the banker
06-09-2011, 03:21 AM
How about clangers and ineffective disposals?

bornadog
06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
How about clangers and ineffective disposals?

I guess the rest of his disposals are ineffective.

Swoop
06-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Here is the clanger list, the first column is total and second column is average per match.

Scott Thompson 101 4.6
James Kelly 85 4
Sam Mitchell 84 4.2
Lance Franklin 78 4.1
Matthew Boyd 76 3.5
Daniel Jackson 75 3.6
Jack Redden 73 3.3
Ryan O'Keefe 73 3.3
Simon Black 72 3.3
Andrew Swallow 72 3.3
Trent Cotchin 72 3.3
Nathan Fyfe 70 3.3
Daniel Stanley 70 3.2
Jared Brennan 70 3.2
Joel Corey 69 3.6
Jarrod Harbrow 69 3.1
Mitch Robinson 68 3.2
Sam Gilbert 68 3.1
Liam Shiels 67 3
Adam Goodes 67 3
Travis Cloke 67 3
Dane Swan 65 3.1

Jasper
06-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Thank the Lord there is a way of showing how good he's been this year.
You get the footy as many times as he does in todays footy, you've gonna turn it over.
Just imagine how poor our season would have been if he wasn't there.
Should also get upwards of 15 Brownlow votes

Rocket Science
06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Here is the clanger list, the first column is total and second column is average per match.

Scott Thompson 101 4.6
James Kelly 85 4
Sam Mitchell 84 4.2
Lance Franklin 78 4.1
Matthew Boyd 76 3.5
Daniel Jackson 75 3.6
Jack Redden 73 3.3
Ryan O'Keefe 73 3.3
Simon Black 72 3.3
Andrew Swallow 72 3.3
Trent Cotchin 72 3.3
Nathan Fyfe 70 3.3
Daniel Stanley 70 3.2
Jared Brennan 70 3.2
Joel Corey 69 3.6
Jarrod Harbrow 69 3.1
Mitch Robinson 68 3.2
Sam Gilbert 68 3.1
Liam Shiels 67 3
Adam Goodes 67 3
Travis Cloke 67 3
Dane Swan 65 3.1

Sure we'd like Boyd to use the ball more efficiently but when you're getting so much of the thing generally speaking you're going to turn it over more frequently than blokes who don't. Turnovers are glaring by their very nature but belie the sum of a Boyd's value, and you wear - if occasionally begrudge - his foibles.

I'd be more than a little bullish about Team 'Clanger's premiership aspirations.

Backs: Harbrow - Gilbert - Jackson
H/Backs: Kelly - O'Keefe - Corey
Centre: Swan - Boyd - Black
H/Forwards: Robinson - Cloke - Cotchin
Forwards: Swallow - Franklin - Brennan
Followers: Goodes - Thompson - Mitchell
Int: Fyfe - Redden - Stanley
Sub: Shiels

Anyhoo, Boyd wholly deserves an AA slot this year.

The Coon Dog
06-09-2011, 03:38 PM
The selectors meet later today & will name a 40 man squad.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 04:18 PM
If there was any justice, Murph would be a shoo-in for a half-back flank. Neon Leon is a monty, Murph has had at least as good a year in a losing team (much harder).

He won't even make the shortlist.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Thank the Lord there is a way of showing how good he's been this year.
You get the footy as many times as he does in todays footy, you've gonna turn it over.
Just imagine how poor our season would have been if he wasn't there.
Should also get upwards of 15 Brownlow votes
I'am with you captain, that is Captain Groenewagon and Captain Boyd. I backed him pre season for the Brownlow, not throwing away my ticket just yet. Wouldn't that as EJ would say stick it em !

bornadog
06-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Boyd and Murph have been named in the squad.

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Boyd and Murph have been named in the squad.

Wow, I take it back. Good calls, both.. really surprised they noticed Murph's incredible year (or maybe they just read WOOF today and changed their selections haha).

Link?

The Coon Dog
06-09-2011, 05:58 PM
The 40 are:

S Thompson, E Betts, C Judd, M Murphy, H Scotland, T Cloke, L Davis, S Pendlebury, B Reid, D Swan, D Thomas, N Fyfe, L McPharlin, C Enright, S Johnson, J Kelly, M Scarlett, J Selwood, H Taylor, G Ablett, G Birchall, L Franklin, J Gibson, S Mitchell, T Goldstein, D Petrie, A Swallow, D Wells, B Deledio, N Dal Santo, S Fisher, S Milne, A Goodes, D Cox, A Embley, D Glass, J Kennedy, M Priddis, M Boyd, R Murphy.

cinder
06-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Well done both boys, great effort!

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Sam Fisher???????????!!!!!!

bornadog
06-09-2011, 06:06 PM
No one from Essendon, six Cats, six Pies, 5 Eagles

Scorlibo
06-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Milne? Glass?

Surely Ryan Griffen deserves a spot?

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Will hear the Cotchin outcry from Richmond supporters.

Thought big Mummy was a bit stiff.

Happy to see Boyd and Murph there but not sure we'll see Murph in final 22

Edit: Betts over Walker?

LostDoggy
06-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Sam Fisher was a monty for whatever the OPPOSITE of an All-Australian team is for the first three-quarters of the season. Granted I haven't watched the last 5-7 weeks of Saints footy but he must have been BOG in all of them because I'll be damned if I know how he's on that shortlist.

Ozza
06-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Sam Fisher was a monty for whatever the OPPOSITE of an All-Australian team is for the first three-quarters of the season. Granted I haven't watched the last 5-7 weeks of Saints footy but he must have been BOG in all of them because I'll be damned if I know how he's on that shortlist.

From what I saw - Fisher had a great year. Was easily the Saints best player when they were struggling early in the year - and will be hard to beat in the Saints B&F.

bornadog
06-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Read here: Boyd makes another AA squad (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/122847/default.aspx)

Matthew Boyd, Western Bulldogs. Previously selected 2009.
22 games in 2011. 398 kicks (second in the AFL, 85 marks, 303 handballs, averaging 18.1 kicks, 3.9 marks, 13.8 handballs. First in the AFL in total disposals. eight goals five behinds. 154 clearances (first in the AFL), 115 inside 50m (fourth in the AFL), 75 rebound 50m.

Robert Murphy, Western Bulldogs. Never previously selected.
21 games in 2011. 306 kicks, 77 marks, 128 handballs, averaging 14.6 kicks, 3.7 marks, 6.1 handballs. six goals four behinds. 10 clearances, 44 inside 50m, 111 rebound 50m (third in the AFL).

mjp
06-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Just on Boyd, he is 5th on the clangers list - and the 4 ahead of him are also AA nominees.

I continue to be staggered at the criticism he cops.

bornadog
06-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Just on Boyd, he is 5th on the clangers list - and the 4 ahead of him are also AA nominees.

I continue to be staggered at the criticism he cops.

I agree. By the nature of the way these guys play, ie in the midfield, in and under trying to get the ball and continually under pressure, they will have clangers.

Maddog37
06-09-2011, 06:45 PM
I heard on the tv call Saturday that Griff is number one for forward fifty entries and metres gained. Shame he ad that quiet patch late in the year.

bornadog
06-09-2011, 06:51 PM
I heard on the tv call Saturday that Griff is number one for forward fifty entries and metres gained. Shame he ad that quiet patch late in the year.

Yes ranked 1st for inside 50, 1st for long kicks and 9th for run and bounce

Go_Dogs
06-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Milne? Glass?

Surely Ryan Griffen deserves a spot?

Agreed. Terribly underrated now by the media.

Mofra
07-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Griffen is very stiff, but the competition for spots in the midfield is fierce.

Sad to say but Milne definately deserves his spot - he has been very good this year.

LostDoggy
07-09-2011, 02:36 PM
From what I saw - Fisher had a great year. Was easily the Saints best player when they were struggling early in the year - and will be hard to beat in the Saints B&F.

Fair enough -- I missed quite a bit of footy in the first half of the year being out of the country but from the little I saw of the Saints he could barely catch he was so out of form.

Ozza
07-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Griffen is very stiff, but the competition for spots in the midfield is fierce.

Sad to say but Milne definately deserves his spot - he has been very good this year.

He has definitely had a good year. Out of curiosity - I compared his numbers to Gia for the year;

Gia

18.2 disposals per game
2.8 tackles per game.
45 goals 18 behinds from 20 games.

Milne

13.3 disposals per game.
2.7 tackles per game
55 goals 32 behinds

And I'd hazard a guess Gia has had more scoring assists than Milney.

bornadog
07-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Sad to say but Milne definately deserves his spot - he has been very good this year.[/QUOTE]

He has definitely had a good year. Out of curiosity - I compared his numbers to Gia for the year;

Gia

18.2 disposals per game
2.8 tackles per game.
45 goals 18 behinds from 20 games.

Milne

13.3 disposals per game.
2.7 tackles per game
55 goals 32 behinds

And I'd hazard a guess Gia has had more scoring assists than Milney.

Gia 26 goal assists giving him a total of 61 goals contributed

Milne 19 goal assists and a total of 74 goals contibuted

Great Comparison Ozza. Milne is one year older and both are about the same height and weight. Most people would have rated Milne ahead of Gia but they are pretty close.

Ozza
07-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Gia 26 goal assists giving him a total of 61 goals contributed

Milne 19 goal assists and a total of 74 goals contibuted

Great Comparison Ozza. Milne is one year older and both are about the same height and weight. Most people would have rated Milne ahead of Gia but they are pretty close.

Cheers BAD.

Would be very surprised if Gia wasn't top 5 in our B&F.....following his 3rd in last season's Charlie Sutton medal.

bornadog
07-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Cheers BAD.

Would be very surprised if Gia wasn't top 5 in our B&F.....following his 3rd in last season's Charlie Sutton medal.

and Milne gets a nomination, makes you wonder.

Greystache
07-09-2011, 04:18 PM
and Milne gets a nomination, makes you wonder.

Eddie Betts got a nomination FFS, 45 goals, 12.5 disposals per game.

LostDoggy
07-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Tom Rockcliffe is very stiff IMO. I've followed Brisbane pretty closely this year and he has been outstanding. He will be the next captain no doubts about it.

If Brisbane were a Melbourne club, he would not only make the squad of 40, but probably make the final 22.

soupman
15-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Tom Rockcliffe is very stiff IMO. I've followed Brisbane pretty closely this year and he has been outstanding. He will be the next captain no doubts about it.

If Brisbane were a Melbourne club, he would not only make the squad of 40, but probably make the final 22.

Hasn't he come on quickly and impressively for someone overlooked in the ND IIRC.

bulldogsman
16-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Hasn't he come on quickly and impressively for someone overlooked in the ND IIRC.

Goes to show what a couple of good pre seasons can do, was very unfit before he was drafted.

mjp
16-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Goes to show what a couple of good pre seasons can do, was very unfit before he was drafted.

Really?

He was a very good TAC Cup player - but basically as a permanent forward. The questions on him were 'can he play midfield' not 'can he play'. If you ask me, the Bushrangers are liable for this - they were more interested in winning games than in getting Rockliff up and running through the midfield which was clearly going to be his position in senior footy.

bulldogsman
17-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Really?

He was a very good TAC Cup player - but basically as a permanent forward. The questions on him were 'can he play midfield' not 'can he play'. If you ask me, the Bushrangers are liable for this - they were more interested in winning games than in getting Rockliff up and running through the midfield which was clearly going to be his position in senior footy.

Yep, at the time i was involved with the club.

They gave him stints in the midfielder towards the later end of the season, but just never had the fitness due to injury and partly attitude. Never did a pre season. I remember him telling me that Mark Williams gave him a bit of a bake for his 3km time trial at draft camp, pretty funny the way he told it.

You are right regarding the Bushies though, there was a big influence from within the club to win a premiership which may have cost some kids development. There were a fair few people unhappy with Phil Bunn, the coach at the time.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 08:56 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Robert Murphy named on the Half Back Line :D Congrats Bobby! Well Deserved! Superstar!

His selection will be hot topic tomorrow all those who haven't even noticed his efforts this year will be questioning it :rolleyes:

1eyedog
19-09-2011, 09:04 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Robert Murphy named on the Half Back Line :D Congrats Bobby! Well Deserved! Superstar!

His selection will be hot topic tomorrow all those who haven't even noticed his efforts this year will be questioning it :rolleyes:

If this is true I have won a slab at work from a Carlton colleague who picked Yarran. I picked Murph.

LostDoggy
19-09-2011, 09:05 PM
If this is true I have won a slab at work from a Carlton colleague who picked Yarran. I picked Murph.

Slab is all yours. ;)

1eyedog
19-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Slab is all yours. ;)

That's what I like to hear. Thank you bearer of excellent news.

Greystache
19-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Congratulations to Bob Murphy and Matthew Boyd.